Thinking of ways to change your water intake? Purchase a water jug and keep it with you throughout the day. Also, crystal light and flavored water help make it easier to drink as well. If you are anything like me, drinking water is a difficult task at times. But after realizing the benefits of drinking water, hopefully you will convert to a water drinking lifestyle because it is essential to our health. Here are a few reasons to drink water:
1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 65-70% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
2. Water Can Help Control and burn Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. While water doesn’t have any magical effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can certainly help.
3. Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes weaken, which can result in muscle fatigue especially during exercising. When muscle cells don’t have adequate fluids, they don’t work as well and performance can suffer.
The ACSM guidelines recommend that people drink about 17 ounces of fluid about two hours before exercise. During exercise, they recommend that people start drinking fluids early, and drink them at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating.
4. Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells. The main toxin in the body is blood urea nitrogen, a water-soluble waste that is able to pass through the kidneys to be excreted in the urine, explains Guest.
When you’re getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in color and free of odor. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, color, and odor increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions.
5. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function. Plenty hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation