There are so many ways to exercise. There are a lot of people out there who think that exercise means that you have to go to the gym with a bunch of “muscles-heads” and “beauty-queens” to have the ability to exercise. This is so far from the truth. The truth is that anything that you do that causes a purposefully increase in your heart rate can be called exercise. So, this fear that so many people have about exercise not being fun is a hoax because you can make anything fun, even exercise. Here is a pretty good top ten list of fun ways that you can exercise without even knowing that you are exercising.
- Go on a hike: hiking is a great way to exercise especially if you are going through a heavily wooded area or any kind of rough terrain. The scenery is beautiful. It is easy to relax and unwind. It is also mentally therapeutic as well as physically demanding.
- Dancing: this is one of my favorite things to do. I love to dance because it is so physically demanding. If you do not think so, go to a club somewhere and be the first one on the dance floor and the last one off and see how tired and sore your legs are. Especially if you like country music and swing dancing. If you are in enough shape to do the entire dance to Copperhead Road then you are in pretty good shape!
- Roughhousing with your kids: If you have kids then you understand that they can go for days without stopping it seems like. They normally wear you out just watching them. Well if you want to spend more time with your kids and you don’t want to go to the gym then get down and dirty with the young ones and they will show you how to make exercise fun. If you do not have kids find a niece, nephew, or younger sibling. Being the youngest of three, trust me that means a lot when you older ones play with us!
- Stop meeting for coffee: there are so many more physically demanding things to do than meet for coffee. If you want to meet with a friend somewhere, meet them at a park and have a good time. Go for a hike. Go swimming. Go play catch with a football, baseball, softball, or Frisbee. Go play golf somewhere. Go to the batting cages. Do something more physical active than meeting for coffee.
- Clean your house/car: cleaning can be pretty physically demanding especially if you live like me or if you have kids. There is always something to do around the house.
- Play video games that make you be active: there are a lot of physically active video games out there now like the wii fit, wii tennis, just dance, and many more. If you are a gamer then this is perfect for you.
- Join a rec league: this is another one of my favorite things to do. I love rec football, softball, and basketball. Joining rec leagues have been a great way for me to change up my routine a little bit and still be very active.
- Bike to work: if you live fairly close to your work ride your bike. Riding a bike is very physically demanding so it is a great way to exercise and it is fun.
- Learn how to play the drums: not only do you get to exercise but you get to let your anger and aggression from school and work out on beating the drums.