Fitness professionals use the acronym FITT to plan workouts. Here is a quick abdominal workout planned using FITT.
- F(frequency): 3 times per week
- I(intensity): Each exercise should be performed at maximal effort.
- T(time): 8 minutes total: 4 exercises each performed 1 time for 2 minutes without stopping! If two minutes is too difficult, start by performing each exercise for as long as you can and build up to 2 minutes over the course of a couple weeks.
- T(type): Toning/strength training
1. Partial curl up: Lying on back knees flexed as seen in the picture. Arms are extended and rested on the thighs. Curl up until the shoulders come up off of the ground and then go back down. Repeat for 2 straight minutes. Target: Upper abs
2. Bicycle: Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground. Your head should be elevated with your hands behind your head. Bring your knees up to about a 45-degree angle. Now move your legs in a bicycle pedal motion. Perform for 2 straight minutes. Target: Lower abs
3. Side Plank: Lie on left side, place left forearm as seen in the picture. Now elevate at the hips. Make sure your opposite arm is on your side, so your not supporting yourself with the off arm. Repeat on the right side. Perform once on the left side for 1 minute, perform once on the right side for 1 minute. Target: Obliques (or side abs)
4. Mountain climbers: Place your self in the basic push up position, bring your left knee up to your chest and then back to the starting position, then quickly bring your right leg to your chest and back to original position. Repeat for 2 straight minutes. Target: Lower abs