Get-To-Know a Broncho

Tami Jackson, development and marketing coordinator, college of math and science

What is your background? 

I was raised in Anchorage, Alaska. In 2007, my husband’s job transferred us to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where we lived for four years before transferring to Oklahoma. My professional background has been in office management and administrative support in various forms.

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.  

I started at UCO in late 2017, working for the Foundation. Although I had a wonderful group of colleagues, I wanted more challenge so transferred to the College of Fine Arts and Design. Most recently, I’ve accepted another challenging role in the College of Math and Science.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contributions to the university? 

I always want to be known for being kind and willing to help. I think my actual contributions will be leaving a well-structured path for others to follow. My legacy will be being known as a good co-worker with a positive attitude.

What do you do when you are not working? 

I am working on finishing my degree, which fills up most of my free time. When I am not doing schoolwork or stressing about schoolwork, I spend time with my family. My sister and her kids have moved to Edmond recently, so I have really enjoyed showing her what I have learned to love about Oklahoma.

Buddy Broncho made his first appearance in UCO's own newspaper The Vista. It was the October 3, 1932, issue where a Broncho appears wearing a UCO football uniform. He has appeared numerous times throughout the years from local Edmond papers in the 60's to state-wide papers in the 80's. The commissioning of the first ever live mascot appears in UCO's 1979 Bronze Book where Buddy Broncho made his first public appearance at Homecoming. Since that time, Buddy has been a fixture at UCO events and in the hearts of UCO students.