Get-to-Know a Broncho

Bailey Cheatham, talent acquisition specialist

What is your background?

I grew up in a quiet suburban neighborhood in Yukon, Oklahoma with my mother, father and three younger brothers. As a child, I was always interested in history, archaeology, mythology, astrology and art – all of which were subjects I focused my efforts on in my years attending Mustang High School.

After graduating from Mustang, I set off for Norman to attend the University of Oklahoma. Here I continued to explore these and similar subjects. I graduated in 2015 with my bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts with minors in the History of Science and Art History.

It was also at OU that I found my love for working in higher education. My first job was at Crossroads Restaurant as a student employee, and I eventually worked my way up to a supervisory role. I have always enjoyed working with students and supporting them in their academic aspirations. The fulfillment I get in higher education is what eventually led me here to UCO.

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.

Before I worked at UCO, I knew people who were current employees at the time. One of those being my now fiancé (soon to be husband come July! Shout out to Sean Gausman). They were the ones who encouraged me to apply to UCO back in 2018 and it was the best professional decision I have ever made! I have loved working with everyone on this campus and have been a part of the best teams anyone could ever ask for.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contributions to the university?

I have a strong desire to be a part of something that is bigger than me. I love to grow people and watch them succeed. My biggest contribution to UCO comes in the form of all the employees I have enabled to do their best work, supported in their professional aspirations, and watched grow and succeed in both their professional and academic endeavors. I will always cherish and appreciate everyone I have had the privilege to work with over these past couple of years.

What do you do when you are not working?

In my free time, you can find me playing video games, costuming, drawing, crafting, reading, writing, sleeping, or binge-watching the latest Netflix series. (The Witcher is my latest binge-session.)