Get-to-Know a Broncho: Katie Timmerman

Katie Timmerman, Communications and Operations Manager

What is your background?  

I was born into a military (Navy) family in Norfolk, Virginia, and moved around quite a bit as a child. I’ve lived on the west coast and east coast, as well as the south, the midwest and the southwest. However, I spent the majority of my childhood in Michigan, and that’s where I consider myself “from”. I have a bachelor’s degree (BBA) in marketing and a master’s degree (MPPA) in political science & public administration. I took a job at a college working in the financial aid office immediately upon graduating with my bachelor’s degree. I absolutely fell in love with higher education and haven’t looked back – which is why I’m still working in higher ed nearly 11 years later! Aside from the first few years of my career which were spent working in scholarships and financial aid, I’ve spent the rest of my time in higher education in marketing, communications and operations roles. I’m also married to a great guy (who also happens to work in higher education) and we have two of the cutest kiddos on the planet. 

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.  

After six years at Mississippi State University enjoying a fulfilling career and pursuing a master’s degree (for me) and a Ph.D. (for my husband), our family relocated to the Oklahoma City area in 2018 for a tenure-track faculty position for my husband. I had previously worked with graduate students and faculty at the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine, so I was thrilled about the opportunity to apply for an open position within the graduate college at UCO. I currently work as a communication and operations manager, and I’m so grateful every day to be working alongside such a caring, thoughtful and hard-working team here in the Jackson College of Graduate Studies.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university?  

The work environment here in the Jackson College of Graduate Studies is truly special and one-of-a-kind. It’s what makes the work I do here at the university so incredibly fulfilling. I’m grateful to Dean Sims for the opportunity to be a part of such an incredible team, and I’m blown away by all the exciting work I’ve been blessed to be a part of here. UCO is a fantastic place to pursue graduate studies, and I love every day that I get to be a part of a team that promotes and supports the quality graduate education opportunities we offer.

What do you do when you are not working?  

We have two young kiddos – ages 19 months and 4-years-old – so life outside of work is always full and there is never a dull moment. As a family, you’ll often find us checking out new books at the library, traveling to new places both near and far, and biking the trails together. I also love chai tea lattes and a good non-fiction book.