Get to Know a Broncho: Adam Kemp

Adam Kemp, digital marketing coordinator

Adam Kemp and family

What is your background?

I was born in Nashville, Tennessee but moved to Oklahoma when I was just a wee baby. Growing up in Oklahoma City, I graduated from Classen S.A.S. High School before following a pretty girl to Oklahoma State University where I majored in journalism. While normally I wouldn’t advise high schoolers making their school choices based on young love, in this case it worked out as we ended up getting married in 2014. 

I worked for eight years as a journalist for the Oklahoman Newspaper, writing about breaking news, business, sports and features. I loved finding and sharing the stories of the people around me in my community. I’ve always found other people’s passions and interests to be fascinating. 

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.

I started at UCO in December after getting hired as the digital marketing coordinator in University Communications. Starting a new career and in a new environment was a little weird during a pandemic, but my awesome coworkers and bosses made that transition easy. 

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university?

As the digital marketing coordinator, I am the editor of Centralities, that lovely little newsletter you are dying to read every day in your inbox. Being able to share the accomplishments, events, milestones, dates and deadlines of UCO’s faculty, students and staff is always fascinating and definitely one of the most important things I do. I am always looking for anyone with a good story. If you have an interesting hobby, side hustle or collection we should talk.

What do you do when you are not working?

My free time is dedicated to hanging out with my hilarious wife Hayley and with our 1.5-year old son Cooper. When I break away from them it’s usually to play a round of disc golf or to nerd out with some friends and play some tabletop games.