Get to Know a Broncho

Dr. Nesreen Alsbou, professor of electrical and computer engineering

picture of woman with robot

What is your background?

Currently, I am a professor of engineering at UCO. I am the electrical engineering program coordinator, the director of the Internet of Things (IoT) research lab and supervising multiple student clubs on campus including IEEE, WIE and Broncho Robotics. I have a Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Oklahoma, a bachelor’s in computer engineering and a master’s in electrical engineering from Kansas State University.

I have been in academia since 2001. I had the chance to teach at Kansas State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, New York University, University of Oklahoma, Pennsylvania State University and Ohio Northern University. My research areas of interest include medical imaging, smart medical systems, IoT, smart vehicles and communications. I am STLR trained and have been involved with the transformative learning activities on campus since I joined UCO in 2015.

I implement active learning strategies in my classes, labs and research to get students involved in all aspects of learning. I was acknowledged by UCO as a SOTL Teacher Scholar in 2017. I participated in the preparation’s activities for the opening ceremony of the STEM building including a performance by IoT Robots.

I was interviewed by the UCO newspaper in March 2019 to discuss 5G and IoT, in the article “UCO Students Working on 5G Technology with Community.” I was featured in an article titled “Building Interest” published in April 2019 in The Oklahoman newspaper for encouraging girls to enter the STEM fields.

With the pandemic and the shift to virtual learning, I obtained a digital badge for completing a five-week intensive workshop titled “2020 STEM Virtual Academy.” Participants of this workshop were the first individuals issued a digital badge for completing professional development offered by Online Consortium of Oklahoma (OCO). 

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.

I attended several events at UCO prior to joining the engineering and physics department in the fall of 2015. I live in Edmond and UCO always attracted me with its beautiful campus, small class sizes and its transformative learning. The focus at UCO is on the student’s learning and this is one of my major interests as an engineering professor.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university?

Most of my work is focused on developing students’ learning in different aspects of educational and research means. I have been involved with STLR since I joined UCO and I have worked with many undergraduate students on RCSA and STLR-sponsored research projects. I encourage my students to keep going no matter what happens and never give up. For example, I give my students extra credit opportunities and teach them to have goals. I believe there is always a second chance and to just keep moving forward. As an engineering professor, I always try to give final projects to allow students to practice, have hands on experience and implement everything they learned in the class. They are encouraged to critically think about what they have learned and how they can use their skills and knowledge. Students are encouraged to work in teams to better prepare them for real life and work after graduation.

What do you do when you are not working?

I enjoy having my early morning coffee in my nice backyard looking at trees and watching birds. I go to the gym during the week, and on weekends, I go hiking with my husband and kids. We have hiked many trails in Kansas, Missouri, Virginia and Oklahoma. I enjoy watching my sons play basketball and enjoy painting with my daughter. 

Reply