Get to Know a Broncho

Dr. Pamela Rollins, Professor of Nursing

woman with dog on blanket on the grass

What is your background?

I currently serve as professor, assistant chair and Sarkeys Endowed Chair for the Department of Nursing. Areas of interest include public health, leadership, complex adaptive systems, community engagement, social/emotional intelligence and experiential learning. Having retired from the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) with almost 30 years of service, I have served in a variety of state and county level leadership positions. I have been recognized at the state and national level for professional activities, being named Oklahoma Nurse of the Year and receiving the AANP Award of Excellence. 

Since entering academia in 2012, I have been actively involved in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, as well as the neuroscience of learning. Acknowledged by UCO as a Most Distinguished Teacher-Scholar, a SOTL Scholar and a Service-Learning Scholar, I continue to strive for excellence in transformative learning, as well as continued involvement in public health practice. 

Sadie, a trained therapy dog, and I serve the UCO community as a member of the Broncho Barkers.

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.

I started in fall 2012 as an assistant professor in the Nursing Department. Since I live in Edmond, it was my first choice when I retired the second time from my administrative role in public health. It was always in my career plan to move to “teaching nursing” at some point.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university?

Involvement with STLR, very early in my 9 years at UCO, I believe has enhanced my transition from public health practice to academia as faculty in the nursing program. Most recently with community spread of COVID, I believe I have been able to use my long experience in public health to provide input to “keep our community safe.”  Having worked a variety of outbreaks and the H1N1 pandemic in the past has provided insight and perspective about potential options to best serve the interests of our University community.

What do you do when you are not working?

When we are not living within a “pandemic environment,” I strive to be more active and participate in activities such as tennis or tap dancing. I also do genealogy, and when I have time, I enjoy clay sculpture.