Get to Know a Broncho

Troy Small, School of Music Marketing Assistant II 

What is your background? 

I’ve been a professional musician for over a decade I’ve been lucky to work both as a performer and on the business side. I run a small music publishing company registered to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) for which I write and record new music. I’ve also taught music privately and have lectured on related topics. Using my website and several social media platforms and tools, I’ve helped grow my audience and this experience has assisted me in my position as the marketing assistant II for the College of Fine Arts and Design.   

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO.  

After earning two associate degrees, I transferred to UCO in the fall of 2012 to complete my undergraduate degree. I then went on to complete my graduate degree, a master’s in vocal performance, in the spring of 2018. 

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university? 

As a first-generation American (my parents immigrated from Jamaica), a non-traditional student, a member of the LGBTQI+ community and as a performer in the fine arts, I believe my perspective is unique. Combined with my NYC upbringing (I moved to Oklahoma at age 19), I believe my experiences in life and education can be a resource of information to any student. I encourage all students to utilize the resources the university has to offer, particularly when it comes to health, research and information. The Max Chambers’ Library, for example, has access to a number of databases and print materials that helped me both as a student, and currently, a post-grad. Above all else, trust your gut! 

What do you do when you are not working? 

I’m currently taking a break from teaching to pursue other projects. I was blessed to have performed the role of King Balthasar in Painted Sky Opera’s December 2020 production of Gian-Carlo Menotti’s “Amahl and the Night Visitors.” Also, I’m co-starring in a film currently being produced by 1984 Studios titled “Dessert Island,” and yes, the spelling is correct! For details on that project, you can visit https://www.1984studios.com/dessertisland or find the studio and film on Instagram for updates. I continue to write and record music and have released three singles in the past few years. At the time of this writing, I have recorded 70 percent of an album to be released in 2021. To relax, I do high-intensity exercises around my neighborhood so if you ever see a guy jumping rope, doing jumping jacks while running or running backwards around Jefferson Park, that’s me!