Get-to-Know a Broncho

Ana Cruz, Student Success Advocate 

What is your background? 

I graduated from the University of Central Oklahoma in fall 2017 with a bachelor of arts in sociology-human services with a minor in substance abuse studies. During my time away from UCO, I worked for a local non-profit as an advocate for victims of crime. I decided to come back to UCO to work at my favorite institution and to pursue a master’s degree.  

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO. 

I started my freshman year at UCO in 2013 and completely fell in love with the community and pride people had for the university. As I pursued my career I quickly became involved in activities with the university such as, LEADERSHAPE, orientation leader, homecoming volunteer, La Meta, and also became involved within my major with Tomorrow’s Alcohol and Counselors of America (TADCA) and the Institute of Hope which held many rallies in support of our diverse community. 

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university? 

Working at the ONESTOP, I’ve been able to assist students with the ins and outs of college. I enjoy being able to be a support and listening ear for students and parents as they go through the college process. I work with an incredible team that is dedicated to serving students with any and all questions which has provided me with the tools and encouragement to help students with issues that are occurring.   

What do you do when you are not working? 

When I am not working, I am probably at a local coffee shop reading a book or listening to a podcast. I also spend most of my time with friends exploring all the fun things Oklahoma has to offer – so many local gems that are hidden in this state. 

Reply