Get-to-Know a Broncho: Susan Hemphill

Susan Hemphill, Grants Writer

What is your background?
I come to UCO from a primarily nonprofit background. I have worked in research, advocacy, community investment and fundraising. I guess you can say I am an information/data nerd. I also have a background in research management coordination in higher education. I have always had a strong interest in grant writing/proposal development and have gained a lot of knowledge and experience in this area throughout my career.

Tell me how you first got involved at UCO?
I first came to UCO in 2010 to pursue a master’s degree in education. During my time here as a graduate student I had the opportunity to work as a teaching assistant in the Kinesiology and Health Studies Department. I loved my time here as a graduate student working with Dr. Rudebock on her campus labyrinth proposal. I earned my master’s degree in 2012 and always vowed I would return to UCO if given the opportunity.

What would you say your strongest beliefs are about your contribution to the university?
I am just wrapping up my first month here as a staff member, but I am excited to help the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs promote transformational learning through support of research, creative and scholarly activities here at UCO. The whole concept of transformative learning is something that is very unique to UCO, especially in the state of Oklahoma, and I am excited to contribute to that in my own small way.

What do you do when you are not working?
I can usually be found being walked by my dog Winston around my neighborhood at least once or twice a day. I also enjoy spending time with my husband, family and friends. If it is an outdoor activity – I am game! I also like to take nature pictures.

Return to front page