So No One Told You Life Was Gonna Be This Way

Congratulations, everyone! We’ve survived midterms and you’re over halfway through your first semester of college! You should be incredibly proud of your accomplishments so far.

Now that midterms are over, your adrenal glands are probably ready to go on a sabbatical and life is slowly returning to its new normal. Hopefully, since my last post, “Central is my Home” has started to feel like a reality for all of you. However, I know that with the results of your midterms comes the immediate yet distant dread of finals and the anxiety about grades and GPAs.

I understand that everything isn’t sunshine and rainbows right now. I’m certainly frustrated with certain classes. I know that some midterms probably went very well for you, and some probably didn’t go as well as you’d hoped. I know everyone is exhausted and that tensions run high when stress is constant and sleep is almost nonexistent. I know that some obligations get unintentionally thrown to the side in the struggle to meet the constant deadlines that occasionally feel overwhelming. I personally haven’t been as consistent with some aspects of being your Peer Mentor as I would like to be, so I’m going to do better. I apologize for that. College is crazy, but it has a huge payout. Sometimes it feels like we’ll never get there, but I promise everything you’re doing right now is absolutely worth it.

If your grades are what you hoped they’d be: Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off! 😃 Take time to celebrate your achievements, but make sure not to get complacent once you pass week eight, because it’s kind of scary how quickly your A can turn into a C or an F if you get too comfortable and stop putting in the effort.

If your grades are not what you hoped they’d be: Please don’t stress yourself out over it too much! Yes, grades are certainly important, and doing your best is the goal, but your grades are not worth sacrificing your health and your sanity! Some of you reading this probably know that this is me being a bit of a hypocrite, but the point of this blog is for me to warn you against mistakes I have already made. Pushing yourself is fantastic, because that’s how you’ll grow, but pushing yourself to the point of mental, physical, and emotional exhaustion during your first semester won’t do anyone any favors. You still have seven weeks to bring your grades up to where you’d like them to be, and your professors can be your biggest allies if you’re struggling and stressed. Obviously they’re not going to change your grade (wouldn’t that be nice sometimes?), but they can help you figure out what specifically you need to study and explain concepts you’re struggling with. UCO’s online tutors and Tutoring Central are also invaluable resources if you’re unable to meet with your professor due to time constraints or if you need prolonged assistance. I know I’ve benefited immensely from meeting with my professors concerning problem areas.

At the end of the day, good grades are the goal, but there is no shame in struggling. We all struggle in different areas; some people’s struggles are just more obvious. Even if you have to retake a class from this semester I hope you won’t think less of yourself or compare yourself to anyone here. I found an interesting quote from Eric Thomas: “Where there is no struggle, there is absolutely no progress.” To me, that means that if you really love what you’re doing here, you’ll keep working at it — even though it’s hard and sometimes discouraging — until you succeed. And if that’s the case for you, then you have a lot to be proud of at the end of the day that far surpasses a GPA.

Keep up the great work and Roll Chos!

~Katie

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” – Albert Einstein

CAMPUS RESOURCE OF THE WEEK:

UCO Tutoring Central (The BELL)
Locations: West Hall-NE corner by Buddy's, The Quad-W112, and Online
West Hall Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 9am-7pm
Friday: 9am-12pm
Sunday: 3pm-7pm
http://sites.uco.edu/academic-affairs/students/tutoring-central/

• cporterfield

Great work Katie! It is so important for students to realize that grades aren’t everything and to not become too overwhelmed. I appreciate you sharing your personal experiences and insight to the LLC students as they try to navigate freshman year.