Lessons in Leadership Week 15-President Patti Neuhold-Ravikumar

During her presentation, President Neuhold-Ravikumar mentioned people, place and possibilities as key themes in her leadership experience and journey. How can your place define and support your leadership journey, and how can you engage in this environment to achieve success?

• Gracie Barnett

The place you are at can have a huge impact on your leadership experience. You have to be in a place that your values line up with. If you are stuck in a place where your values don’t align, you will be unable to do what you are passionate about and you can’t be a good leader that way. Although people is a different theme, it goes a long with place because they really go hand-in-hand. People have to adopt the values for the place and people go to the place because of their values. Being in the right place for you is going to lead you to great people. You can surround yourself with these people and build each other up. This way you will grow and flourish as a leader.

• Olivia Sander

In leadership where you are located is a big part of how you lead. It gives you either the opportunity to lead, or the opportunity to be led. Being at a college like UCO, where leadership is highly encouraged is an amazing way to boost your leadership skills and you automatically know that you will be supported. We can engage in this environment by asking questions, going to meetings, and just talking with fellow leadership students. My short time at UCO has been full of leadership and I have broken out of my shell because of my advisors and because of the exec members in my scholarship. If I did not go to UCO, I would not have had this leadership experience and I know this because of my location. Your location also helps you feel secure and safe which also helps you with leadership. If you do not feel secure and safe then you won’t break out of your shell, and then your leadership journey is shortened.

• Emma Martinez

A place can define your leadership journey because there you can have the possibility to meet people that will pour on you and help you grow as a leader. I was never really aware of my leadership skills because I was not in the right place where I could access the resources and people necessary to achieve experience and growth. The best way to stay engaged is by finding or creating a community within the place you are in. By having a community, it becomes easier to be engaged because the place becomes enjoyable and because it creates a support system for everyone.

• Chase Sutton

I believe that your place has a lot to do with your leadership journey. At UCO, I have found that I am able to take on a different leadership role than I did in high school. In high school, I was known as a “do it all” type person, but here at UCO things have began to change. I feel like here I am able to do certain activities that really align with how I think and also, how I want to lead. Getting into organizations that I feel truly align with me has allowed me to grow as a leader, which in turn, will further my ability to succeed.

• Alisyn Dunn

My place is currently UCO. This has defined my leadership journey in so many ways. To begin with, I’m surrounded my all new people coming from a variety of different backgrounds. This has changed my leadership mindset in so many ways. I have learned so many different perspectives. It truly has made me a more welcoming and honest person. I have never felt so open with such a large group of people as I do in LC. The people I have been able to connect with through this place has made all the difference in my journey. The way I engage in this place to achieve success is to join as many organizations as I can (while maintaining my sanity). The people I meet through this organizations have shaped me into the person I am today. They have made me more vulnerable and authentic overall.

• Carsyn Cardwell

The place we choose to be in is important to us as leaders because it always us to find somewhere that supports our beliefs. President Neuhold-Ravikumar also talked about how leaders need to sit down and make a list of their values. She mentioned that knowing you’re what your values are can allow you to find a place that honors and respects those values. Similar to President Neuhold-Ravikumar’s shared values with the UCO Campus. The environment we are in is a big factor in how we live our lives and what role we play as leaders. Leaders have to adapt to their environment and learn how they can best serve those in it. Leaders need to have a relationship with the place they are in because they can understand how everyone else in the same place feels. Adaptability and empathy in an environment a leader are important for them to be successful in the place they choose to be.

• Jenna Gaberino

Your place can open you up to new leadership opportunities and each position you occupy can teach you new lessons that you can carry throughout your life. You can find leadership opportunities wherever you go, it all depends on which ones you choose to engage in. You can use your place to learn more about your surroundings and the people in it to find where you belong and what will move you further in your leadership journey. Being a leader is all about being flexible in any environment. Knowing your surroundings can allow you to find all the best ways to help others and therefore help yourself as well.

• Jenna Gaberino

• Bryce Atkins

Your place can help to define your leadership journey because it leads to the other two things that President Patti Neuhold-Ravikumar mentioned in her presentation: people and possibilities. Your place determines the people that you interact with on a daily basis simply because they are in that place with you. It is much easier to form meaningful connections with people that are in the same place as you because they most likely have the same goals and values as you do. Also, the place that you are in can lead to different possibilities concerning your leadership and career opportunities. If you find that the place you are in is not leading to new possibilities, it might be time for you to move on from that place. It is important to be engaged in the place you are in because that is the key to being successful. Ways that you can be engaged include, being on a committee, joining clubs or groups, or simply attending events or meetings.

• Marissa Bumgarner

I feel that since moving to Edmond I have two places that support me. I have my home in Duncan, Oklahoma where my family gives me endless love and will continue to support me in everything I do. They have been my rock and I would not be doing what I am doing without them. I also have my home which is here in Edmond that is where I have made the friends that I know will be around for the rest of my life. I know that for any problem or worry I have they will listen and have the solution. I feel that the environment someone is in is what they make of it. I would not be in the position I am today if I did not get up and try. Having confidence in yourself and your future can make a positive effect on everything you do.

• Cooper Autry

I believe that the theme of place is central to the two other main ideas President Neuhold-Ravikumar addressed in her presentation, which are people and possibilities. To me, place is very important in terms of my leadership journey. Every day here at UCO I feel an amazing sense of community and love. UCO is a place with such positive energy where the majority of people are friendly and believe in being there for each other. Ultimately, UCO feels like home. The positivity and community of this campus inspire me to do my best to lead every day. We are all truly so lucky to have such a good foundation to lead off of, and seeing how great UCO already is, makes me realize that the sky is the limit for what we as leaders can accomplish! As I mentioned, place ultimately provides community, and as a leader, personally, I work within community of a particular place to lead and build a coalition of leadership where everyone is empowered to lead. When speaking about place, President Neuhold-Ravikumar brought up a valuable point in which she conveyed that any place one chooses to be deserves the best from that individual. I find this point about place very compelling because I am strong believer in giving 100% of my effort and of myself to everything I undertake, and I believe as a leader that treating place with this sense of reverence is crucial. Lastly, I believe it is important to note that the concept of place, particularly pertaining to leadership is important because it can serve as common ground. As I continue on my leadership journey throughout my time here at UCO and later on in my life (perhaps in politics), disagreements about particular issues are inevitable. However, as a leader I believe in trying my absolute best to find common ground when disagreements arise. This is where place serves as the great equalizer, so to speak. When people, specifically leaders, disagree on an issue, it is important to remember that the leaders on both sides of the disagreement truly believe that their position is what is best for a particular place (for instance, our university or our country). So, in times when I am in disagreements, I keep this in mind, that as leaders, we all love and are passionate about the overall cause we are leading and fighting for, whether that be our university, a business/company, or our country; ultimately, what we are leading for, our purpose, is a place, and we all have the best interest of that place in mind. This is what makes place, a true unifier , so special!

• Sam Gillis

The place you are living, going to school, or conducting business can play a major role in your leadership journey. You can either be in a supportive environment that builds you up or in an environment that tears you down and makes you a worse leader. You can make your leadership environment a better place to be by how you engage with it. If you are actively investing into the environment and wanting to build it up then you will grow with the environment. If you do not work to build the environment then you are just sucking life out of it and stunting the growth of yourself and the environment you are around. Your environment will only grow if you grow with it and are willing to step out because growth is not comfortable all the time and you must struggle to grow at times.

• Kathryn Irwin

during this letter drNeuhold-Ravikumar told us tat no matter where you are you should give each place your best. If you realize you are not giving them your best; you need. to ask your self how kind I rectify may actions to give my best.Do I need to apologize or do I need to rethink the project completely? The way I will use this in my own life by working my hardest whoever life must take me to achieve my dreams. Each place you go is a stepping stone that builds your castle enjoy each part because with one stone you can’t see the inside until the end.

• Erin Jaison

Both people and place go hand in hand. The people that you surround yourself with in whatever place you end up in, makes you enjoy your surroundings. In college especially if have no one to rely on whether it may be teachers, mentors, or friends it is a struggle to navigate yourself through that crowd. It will make you hate the place preventing you from thriving at the fullest. You have to make those connections and friendships–it helps you get more involved and help you network your way through; benefiting your future success and leadership journey. Having that success also sometimes requires you to step out of your comfort zone. Success doesn’t come easy so doing the uncomfortable and even sometimes failings are what leads you to success–you gain more than what you thought you lost by always trying to improve.

• Bergen Bailey

My current place and the people I know determine my path and leadership style because of their influence in my life. Finding others who support you and make you be the best you can, provide the best environment. They lift you up but they will also be sure to tell you when can do better at something. If you are actively engaged in lifting others up, they in turn will lift you up. Leadership journeys require lots of growth. Mainly focused surrounding the failures and mistakes of the past. You have to make mistakes in order to become better.

• Grace Hibbs

I agree that place is an essential factor in leadership. When I think of the ideal place to grow your leadership skills, I think of a college campus because many student engagement opportunities are available, such as organizations and clubs. Every year, there are opportunities to join organizations and possibly interview for an executive role in one. Joining an organization and getting a feel for that group and its current executive team before applying to be on it yourself is a great path to take when wanting to grow your leadership skills. The environment college organizations create is one of communication, support, and mutual growth. Another essential component of leadership is adaptability, meaning a leader is able to adapt to different places and still be effective in their leadership. A college organization is definitely going to require different skills than a large company, but the great thing is that the experiences from both will build on each other and make transitions easier.

• Lily-Marie Fraley

When I was back at home, majority of my support came from my family and town residents. It was definitely a humbling experience. Now that I’m here, majority of my supporters are around my age. Everyone has encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and to be more confident. Different environments have both positively impacted me in different ways. Being engaged with this environment, as I continue to grow, has provided me a firmer foundation about myself. This is equipping me for life.

• Lauren Clark

I am a believer that the environment you surround yourself with plays a big role in who you become. My parents have always driven me to chase all opportunities given to you no matter how extreme they seem to be. Without them I never would have believed it possible to go to school sixteen hours away from my hometown. I chose to do so because of new possibilities and the environment of the school community. The environment here at UCO is the one that stuck with me the most including the rowing team, LOT, and much more. Because of the people I am surrounding myself with I will continue to be pushed and I will push them in return. Ultimately I strive to surround myself with people who are going to help each other grow.

• Ashley Wood

President Patti Neauhold-Ravikumar puts emphasis on “your place” within your leadership journey. The key themes of her leadership experience are great to reflect on within your personal journey. Having the ability to step back and look at your impact on the places you have gone is essential. While you, the leader, can reflect on your impact, you must also understand the impact the place has on you. Is the community toxic or it is growth focused? If you’re somewhere toxic that does not inspire growth from you it will have negative impacts. You can use your place to fuel you even if it is negative. If you’re somewhere that isn’t a positive experience, you’re allowed to leave. FInding a community where you will flourish is a great thing to do as. leader. It isn’t giving up to leave somewhere that isn’t healthy. In your new, encouraging environment you can work within the community, see what your place needs to thrive, use it’s resources, etc. There are so many ways to engage in order to achieve success.

• Kinesey Sherman

At UCO, we are fortunate to have a number of people who are capable of helping us further our journey. Among them are professors, advisors, and students. The advice I have received from my professors has been extremely helpful to me. Taking additional classes that will help me with my profession would be an example. Having the support of other leaders on campus, such as President Patti, is beneficial to us as leaders. She has show great leadership even if this is my first year here. As long as we remain involved and continue to volunteer, we can participate in this environment. Success will follow.

• Brynn Coppedge

President Neuhold-Ravikumar spoke a lot about people, places, and possibilities in respect to her life. She spoke about how these things are key themes in her leadership experience and journey. Place can affect your leadership journey by the surroundings. Wherever you find yourself, the people around always need a leader. You can engage in this environment by stepping up and becoming the leader people need.

• Destiny Ryan

I believe my place has already started building my leadership journey. Because I was at Westmoore, I joined speech and debate and allowed me to be exposed to the idea of being a leader. When my former coach was on LOT, and that played a large round in how I viewed and practiced leadership. Coming to UCO, I have had so many opportunities to further my leadership experience that I wouldn’t have had in other places. I joined Alpha Xi and joined the officer board because the people around me believed in me. As the president talked about, you can giver all you have to your place, but no one does it alone. I believe the people at UCO are the reason I will stay connected to Edmond in the future and hopefully, one day I can open my own practice here too.

• Zach Kernal

Your place can do a lot to support your leadership journey. In a place like a college, hundreds of opportunities are available to you, allowing growth. The key to using the place you are in as a tool to support your leadership journey is engaging with it. The president said that no matter where you are you have to embrace your choice to be there and give it your best, everywhere you are and choose to be, deserves your best. Using UCO as an example a way to engage is by participating. There are so many ways to get involved, get leadership experience, and build a resume but in order to do any of that you have to show up first. You have to take on responsibilities and show people that you will follow through.

• Your environment plays a big part in your leadership journey. If you are not in the right environment, you will be unable to fully fulfill your truest potential. For example, if you are in a hostile environment or unorganized environment, you may not want to go that extra mile to grow your leadership skills. You have to surround yourself with people who have a common goal with you and want to grow as well. You need people around that are going to support you. When you find the right place for you ( with healthy boundaries) you must give it your all. Asking others around you if they need help can possibly expose you to new people and new roles. Gaining experience and knowledge will help you on your leadership journey. Positively engaging with the environment around you is critical to positively growing your skills as a leader as well as achieving success. You want others to feel comfortable around you just like you want to feel around them. That is how your place defines and supports your leadership journey, and how can you engage in this environment to achieve success.

• Eli Payton

The place we are often dictates our leadership journey because our environments dictate the needs that we need to meet as leaders. I find that this parallels well with the activity that we did in class with the giant sticky notes. In our presentation, we touched on how we need to serve the need that exists in our community, not the need that we think we are best at. Meeting people where they are is a giant piece of leadership. Being in tune and understanding where exactly you are and where the people around you are is essential in becoming a better leader. I think the best way to engage in any of these given environments is to just make a concerted effort to look at the needs around you. Every environment is different, so we as leaders need to be able to learn to adapt to any given environment.

• Halle Melton

President Neuhold-Ravikumar gave great everyday advice that I already try to apply to my life. I already try to apply myself 110% in everything I do and it was cool to hear that being reinstated by someone else who’s successful. I also love how she mentions some pretty normal everyday advice but states just how important it is, like being nice to people, because those everyday interactions are like interviews. Or other types of everyday behavior that are so important to a leadership mindset, like community commitment, serving others, reacting positively, and just outreaching anyway you can. Great advice and great story.

• Sheridan Robinson

When deciding my place, I determined that my community is what supports my leadership journey. My community includes college, Edmond, work, as well as Moore. I find college, and the community of Edmond a crucial part of my place, as it is where I am spending a majority of my time growing as a leader through class, LOT, and service. To be successful, I hope for my leadership skills to grow, and to do so requires even more experience through Leadership Central, and contributing to the Edmond community that has supported me throughout my journey at school. My community back home is my place as well, with my family, friends, and work at the moment. My family supports me when I need it, and work is crucial in my experience in the healthcare field. I understand that without my family, I might not have been able to be where I am today. I can achieve success through loving my home city in Moore, and the help it gives me.

• Sheridan Robinson

When deciding my place, I determined that my community is what supports my leadership journey. My community includes college, Edmond, work, as well as Moore. I find college, and the community of Edmond a crucial part of my place, as it is where I am spending a majority of my time growing as a leader through class, LOT, and service. To be successful, I hope for my leadership skills to grow, and to do so requires even more experience through Leadership Central, and contributing to the Edmond community that has supported me throughout my journey at school. My community back home is my place as well, with my family, friends, and work at the moment. My family supports me when I need it, and work is crucial in my experience in the healthcare field. I understand that without my family, I might not have been able to be where I am today. I can achieve success through loving my home city in Moore, and the help it gives me. I hope that through supporting my community, and having all the support they offer me, I can achieve great leadership success.

• Lane Willoughby

Place and time are key ideas to me in everyday life. From what I say to what I do, this is majorly important. During my leadership journey, I have found thus far that my situation can greatly change it, especially whatever I am going through at that time. If I know I am going to be in a place where my leadership is going to need to occur then I try my best to clear my mind and focus on the task or people around me. My environment can have another huge effect. If I feel like everyone is truly working toward the same goal I will be more motivated but if I feel some people may not care as much as I do, I tend to back off. I think that it is also key to know your environment because that can change how you lead. Some people are in need of high direction while others like to figure out tasks on their own, it is just best to know your environment to know how to lead.

• Norah Stephenson

At this point in my life my place has been one defined by growth, friendships, and new opportunities. Being at college has helped to get me out of my comfort zone and fully embracing being uncomfortable. I have been able to see this as a path to becoming a better leader, especially as I look to foster relationships with those around me. Leaders always have room to grow. They are supposed to interact with those around them because if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be leaders. Leaders are also always going to find themselves in uncomfortable places because that’s where growth comes from, so it’s best to just embrace it. To foster success in this new environment and to engage I hope to continue working in the Central Pantry, become more involved in different clubs and organizations, and to grow closer with those whom I already have relationships.

• Breanna Henry

As a leader, I think your “place” is absolutely crucial to your leadership journey. Not only can your environment affect you and your leadership style, but the effect that you have on your environment defines your journey. Similar to President Neuhold-Ravikumar, I believe the key to success at any stage of life is to fully immerse yourself in whatever you are doing wherever you are. One of the most common phrases I heard growing up was, “you get out what you put in”. I think this speaks volumes about this subject. Whatever energy you put into your place, is what you will receive from it. What defines someone’s success is not really their achievements but the lives of those they’ve touched. You cannot touch people’s lives without giving your all to wherever you belong.

• Lillie Taylor

My first semester at UCO is a prime example of how my “place” can define my leadership journey. I have noticed a huge difference in my confidence as a leader since moving from a small town. Meeting different people with so many different backgrounds and experiences have already made me a better leader. I have learned how to communicate with and relate to different people, which has made me more of an empathetic leader. Also, in an environment where there are more people with different interests and specialties, I am able to find a better group that I “click” with. Though leadership is not about being a group that you are totally comfortable in, having a strong support system will also contribute to my success and confidence as a leader. This new-found group also helps me find ways to get engaged on campus and find new things that I like. Searching for new ways to get involved also is likely to improve my success as a leader because it will help me to become more rounded in experience and dealing with different types of people. Overall, my new home at UCO as already helped me grown in my leadership experience and has shown me many ways to continue to do so.

• Chloe Falls

During this time especially, we are exposed to new people everyday. Knowing the importance of impressions and the influence you may have on others is a key step in a successful leadership journey. Some of the best ways to engage in ones environment include getting to know those around you, setting a good example, and showing others how you succeed by working hard. Wherever you spend the most time is the place that will influence you the most. It is important to spend time in respected places around people who will have positive influence on you.

• Jacob McBride

I believe place could be extremely crucial in my leadership journey. You have to put yourself in positions that can allow growth for yourself. For the time being, this could serve as getting involved on campus with organizations with the ability to grow into larger leadership roles. I try to set myself up with the best opportunities, because I am looking to excel on this campus, setting me up for a successful career. This is another way I see place being important in leadership.

• Blair majors

During the President’s presentation, she spoke on all the ways your place is important in your life and in leadership. One of the things that she mentioned was, “there’s always a way to grow professionally.” She talked about how working at UCO before becoming the UCO president supported her leadership journey because she was surrounded by people who constantly got her best. Your place can define and support your leadership journey because who you are surrounded with in those environments, can either push you to grow in your leadership or they can do the opposite of that. Being able to think outside of your constrained environments is another thing that she mentioned. This causes you to push outside of the box and better yourself and progress your leadership journey. When you are able to think and work more broadly outside of just the one job assigned to you, you’re able to see new perspectives and learn new leadership qualities to cause you to grow more. Engaging in environments that get your best and cause you to grow, push you to achieve success and overall become a better leader. Your place and how you use it to better yourself and grow in your leadership journey, do a lot for achieving success.

• Elizabeth Estabrooks

My place can define my leadership journey by helping me find opportunities to grow as a leader. In any environment, new or old, there are always organizations, causes, events, etc. to help individuals grow. That can help me improve as well supporting me in every step of my journey. Making sure to join a good and safe space is a huge contributor to helping me grow. I can engage in my environment by joining organizations that I feel passionate about and pouring into them.

• Adjoa Yeboah

Something that I have always thought about is how the people that are around us can always influence the way we act and feel. Whether or not we want it to, people can always be a common motivation in our lives. Listening to President Neuhold-Ravikumar I was very interested when she mentioned place and possibilities as well. I feel like all of these go hand-in-hand with each other. The people that we meet can lead us to many new and exciting places which can in turn open up many opportunities. Constantly striving to find openings in our lives that can lead us to new people, places, and possibilities is something that I think I have began to take on while at this school. I have gotten out of my comfort zone and done things not just for my benefit, but the benefit of others as well. Constantly striving to have a successful life and mindset is definitely not easy, but it does over time. If I were to look back on who I was a few years or even months ago, I would be very proud of the person that I am today.

• Abby Harelson

As a leader, placing yourself in a healthy and supportive environment is key to effective leadership. For me, the place and environment I am in heavily influence how I lead, and even my mindset and personality. It is vital as leaders to put ourselves in a comfortable environment where there’s always room to grow. Patti also mentioned how it’s important to embrace and love your place. She said it is “your choice to be here”, which is a strong perspective that we as leaders sometimes forget about. I want to be sure to improve my leadership qualities by providing a secure and enjoyable space for not just for myself, but also my friends and those I’m leading.

• Jesse Brooks

My place here can support my leadership journey by the connections and experience I gain through it. I am constantly meeting new people and experiencing new things. I have to take those different experiences and learn from them. Then I have to take what I learned and put it to use in the future. Engaging in the environment means looking at what’s around me and the people around me to see what I can learn and what more I can take from that. Things are constantly happening and if I am paying attention I can learn a lot.

• Kama Wyatt

Where I am located has greatly sculpted my leadership journey. It would be foolish to negate how my education, class status, and home environment have impacted the opportunities I have been granted. I had teachers who mentored me, a family that tended to my needs, and a support system that pushed me to be the best version of myself. This accumulation of life-experiences have all benefitted my quality of life, and allowed me to flourish in leadership positions. To reach new heights with my leadership, I can rely on these resources I’ve been granted with. I have shoulders to lean on and helpful resources. I have the support I need, I just have to use it.

• Kaylie McClintock

It is up to a leader to make the most of every place that they have the opportunity to be. Each place has new things to learn. Each place has a different environment to practice the things that have already been learned. Each has new people and every person has the possibility to be a mentor, friend, or mentee. People learn from relationships just as much as they do from a job itself. When given the opportunity, it is good to chose a place that is interesting and stimulating for the best growth possible. However, a good leader can learn and grow no matter where they are because there is not a single place that can not provide lessons that will teach them and help them in the future.

• Marian Simon Coric

In her presentation, Patti Neuhold-Ravikumar gave exciting insights into her life and shared valuable tips for the future. She said that once you step out of your comfort zone, you can benefit from it and that new opportunities open up. She emphasized that learning is something you have to learn. She also said that the use of social media is an interesting resource for the career path. You should always be aware of your own value and work in a place where you feel happy. She also said that there is always a way to professionalism and emphasized that learning from other people is very helpful.

• Sheba Saju

Like President Patti mentioned, it’s important to align your values with the place you settle yourself in. When I was in Yukon, I felt like I couldn’t align my values there. This was because majority of the people had contradicting values and beliefs than me. This made it extremely difficult to fit in. I did not thrive in high school because of this. To be honest, I was always made fun of because my different values and beliefs. At UCO, however, it is the opposite. I believe that PLC has connected me to people and a place that aligns with my morals and values. Because of this, I feel like I can be more passionate and committed to do the things that support my leadership journey since I have a strong community. PLC has helped me to start breaking out of my shell that I have been in for my whole life. Having a strong community and a place that aligns with your values, allows for more growth and success.

• ahlaam elmi

The place you allow yourself to be is the environment that you reflect. this means that the people , the message and the work you are doing showcase your efforts, while the leadership roles will be reflected in the role you play which are your efforts in the work. you have to build connections with people , show your love for the place your working at by the work and putting in the extra work will showcase your achievements. although it might take a while , all we can do is keep going while doing our best work and knowing what success means to you.