Lessons in Leadership-Week 13-Dr. View (Dr. Stevie Johnson)

During his presentation Dr. View discussed many important themes including relationship building, listening to yourself, and finding your own best fit to name a few. Which point from Dr. View’s time in class resonated with you the most, and how do you plan to implement that into your leadership journey moving forward? (The point you select does not have to be one of the three listed above).

• Reply
    Hana Abdelhadi

I believe that listening to yourself is important in order to be true to yourself and accomplish personal goals. This theme stands out to me because although it can be hard to listen to yourself, great leaders have to use their own judgment a lot of the time in order to solve issues. I plan to implement this as it is a skill that can help me make good decisions in order to lead a team towards a task or goal. In order to do this, I must stop self-doubting myself and should make the best decision based on the information and matter at hand. And of course, it is always still okay to rely on others for help and guidance at times. To sum it up, it is imperative for a leader to believe in themselves, but it is also okay to ask for help.

• Reply
    Ana Savva Garcia

Personally, his point about making your own best fit is what resonated with me the most. For me, it is very hard to find that group of people that you feel that you can be yourself with. So, when he talked about making your own best fit, it really made me think about how I should just be myself all the time and then the people that fit me will find me. This will help me thorough my leadership journey because by being more genuine about who I am, I can develop trust and friendship easier and faster with people.

• Reply
    Emilee J Handy

I think that the part of Dr. Stevie’s talk that resonated the most with me, was listening to yourself. I have always been more of an alone person. I struggle focusing when working around others, and I enjoy making friends, but I have always been more of a ” close friends and family ” person rather than a large friend group person. I struggled with this when I first got to college because I felt like I had to change that in order to be happy here or to fit in. I was very unhappy with my first two week of school because I was trying to force myself into being someone that I am not. Once I quickly realized how much happier I am with having a close friend group rather than trying to expand my life so much so quickly, I became much more content and have found Edmond as my second home. I just wish I could have listened to myself from the beginning.

• Reply
    Ashley Jimenez

Listening to yourself resonated with me the most. I feel like most of the times I just go with what everyone else says I should be doing. I hardly ever do things or make decisions for myself: I usually do them for someone else. When making decisions, I struggle so much because I do not know how to listen to myself. I cannot remember a time where I actually felt like I made a decision by myself, always from the influence of others. I need to know who I am first before I try leading any group. Knowing your identity is important and gives you a sense of purpose rather than doing something you are not passionate about. Working on knowing myself better will lead me to the right path of becoming a better leader. Once I know who I am, I can guide other people in truly finding themselves.

• Reply
    Ashley Jimenez

Listening to yourself resonated with me the most. I feel like most of the times I just go with what everyone else says I should be doing. I hardly ever do things or make decisions for myself: I usually do them for someone else. When making decisions, I struggle so much because I do not know how to listen to myself. I cannot remember a time where I actually felt like I made a decision by myself, always from the influence of others. I need to know who I am first before I try leading any group. Knowing your identity is important and gives you a sense of purpose rather than doing something you are not passionate about. Working on knowing myself better will lead me to the right path of becoming a better leader. Once I know who I am, I can guide other people in truly finding themselves

• Reply
    Claire Hardin

Since Dr. View’s presentation, I have been thinking about what he said in regard to listening to yourself. I recall him reminding us that no one has to live our lives but ourselves. Therefore, do not make decisions based on what will appease others, even those you look up to most. This really resonated with me because I feel as though I live my life trying to appease others. I always ask everyone around me for advice before I make a decision, even a small decision like what outfit to wear. Dr. View’s presentation, along with prayer, allowed me to see the harm in my constant need for validation from outside sources. I desire to make decisions based solely on what I honestly want or believe to be the best choice. I desire to take action in my life and stop hiding in the shadows of my hesitation to listen to myself. I desire to learn how to trust myself because through anxiety I have grown to mistrust my own thoughts. Dr. View inspired me to do this, and I will begin small. I will no longer rely on others to choose which outfit to wear but wear what I feel most confident in. Through prayer and practice, I know I will learn to implement this self-trust in bigger choices. However, I know, as Dr. View said, to take constructive criticism with gratitude for the people who care enough to give the criticism. I will apply criticism to the desires of my soul, listening with conviction that what I truly want will also help make the world a better place.

• Reply
    Cheyanne Young

One point Dr.View made that resonated with me is to listen to that inner voice inside of you. There is always going to be someone trying to tell you what you should and should not do with your life. In reality, no one can tell you what the right and wrong decisions are for your life. I have to be able to make decisions for myself, because no one knows me better than me. I know that every decision I make may not work out, but at least I can say that I made that decision for myself and not for anyone else.

• Reply
    Katherine Ryerson

Relationship building resonated with me the most. I plan to implement that in my leadership journey by creating as many relationships as possible. The more connections you are able to make, oftentimes is the more outreach you will achieve. Without connections it is nearly impossible to reach our goals. By ourselves, we are only able to achieve little. With many people we are able to achieve a lot. All of these lessons resonated with me, but relationship building resonated the most.

• The point that seemed to affect me most is the fact that we need to listen to ourselves. I am a people pleaser and try to always do what I think other people will like, more than worry about what I would like. Coming to college and getting away from friends and family who I have always strived to put their happiness above mine, changed my view of the world a lot. Throughout this first semester, I have learned a lot about myself. Dr. View said, “listen to yourself”, and this comment is what I have been learning to do here at UCO, just like he did.

• The part that resonated with me the most is finding your best fit especially being who you are. Throughout the journey I plan on exploring what are the things or activities that make me “me.” By exploring, I mean the culture behind my background and embracing it. Not only that, I have to be authentic and honest and take the first step of discovering things that make me who I am and what I love. In which, the things that would give me the freedom and the drive to keep moving forward. It could be a matter of self worth or the mutual understanding the value of life or passion from a hobby. In that journey, I would invest in myself to become what I want to be in the future and acknowledge my hard efforts. By doing all of this, I would become more confident in myself which in turns I see it as myself spiritually growing as a person.

• One point that resonated with me is he mentioned something about actually helping someone out. For example, guiding someone up to financial aid not just telling them to go and also, he mentioned that those people are the ones that are going to stick with you the most or more like you’ll be thankful about. I just believe that being part of being a leader you are helping people out with pure intentions. I believe that’s true because many people in my life have done that Coach Renteria my high school coach, he had been one of those leaders in my life. When talking to him one day and telling him that I really loved playing soccer but it just seems super hard because I wasn’t in a club but I was in a Sunday league but I just didn’t see an advancement. Not only did he listen to me he actually tries to help me out. He is a personal soccer coach and trains me whenever he is available. Where I am trying to get with this is that he actually tried to lend me a hand. I do understand that some people just can’t help you because of things that happen in their life but the intentions really matter. I feel hearing him say that it made me realize that , that is a true factor of being a leader.

• Reply
    Alondra Rios

One point that resonated with me is he mentioned something about actually helping someone out. For example, guiding someone up to financial aid not just telling them to go and also, he mentioned that those people are the ones that are going to stick with you the most or more like you’ll be thankful about. I just believe that being part of being a leader you are helping people out with pure intentions. I believe that’s true because many people in my life have done that Coach Renteria my high school coach, he had been one of those leaders in my life. When talking to him one day and telling him that I really loved playing soccer but it just seems super hard because I wasn’t in a club but I was in a Sunday league but I just didn’t see an advancement. Not only did he listen to me he actually tries to help me out. He is a personal soccer coach and trains me whenever he is available. Where I am trying to get with this is that he actually tried to lend me a hand. I do understand that some people just can’t help you because of things that happen in their life but the intentions really matter. I feel hearing him say that it made me realize that, that is a true factor of being a leader.

• Reply
    Matelyn Jones

The thing that most resonated in me was finding your own best fit. Sometimes I think I can get caught up on going the right path for a career path, and not focusing on what I want to do on the way. It has been great being in college and learning there is not a specific path I have to follow, I can make my own path. I love how Dr. View said don’t look for where you fit in, make your own fit.

• Reply
    Jessica Jones

Among the many incredible points discussed by Dr. View, the one which connected with me the most was creating your own best fit. This was overwhelmingly identifiable and inspiring for me, because, while I am able to camouflage myself and look the part, I really will never fit the various molds that I’ve aspired to over the years. In high school, for instance, I was a high academic achiever, but I never had the same background or home life as many of those at the top around me, not to mention interests and passions. I then tried my hand in the art crowd, and while I made some really wonderful friends, I never possessed their raw talent, nor they my drive or academic approach. English is where I settled, as it is a passion of mine, born of both art and academia, but looking around me now I find that I am detrimentally unfamiliar with ‘the greats’ and ‘the classics’. My approaches and my beginnings have always been nonstandard, something which I have always considered to be a weakness, until witnessing Dr. View’s success through the creation of his own best fit. He said that passion is what should drive you, and that revealing his true identity and aspirations is actually what made him great; it is by this advice that I intend to move forward, ideally leading by example and sharing with others lessons like these which have been so incredibly helpful to me in my own journey.

• The point that resonated with me the most was finding your own best fit. If you can’t find it, make it. I still wonder how exactly to implement this, but Dr. View said the fact that I was able to speak up about it was the first step.
    If other people think the same way I do but are too afraid to speak, where do they fit in? But if I speak up about it, at least other people know they aren’t alone and we can go on the journey of not knowing what to do together, combine our thoughts, and figure it out.

• Reply
    Teagan Jellison

The point that stuck with me the most was that you cannot speak for other people’s stories. Even though you may know what another person’s life is like, you can never truly know their story from the way they see it. I can implement this into my leadership by understanding when working in groups everyone has their own visions they bring to the table. As a very independent person I find this difficult at times, but understanding that everyone sees things differently will help me become a better group member. Each person’s ideas will help create one larger outcome that could possibly speak to many more audiences than just the one that I may draw in. Dr. Stevie Johnson was a wonderful speaker and had many other points that stuck out to me, but this one is the most relevant in my life at the moment.

• Reply
    Isabel J Baker

The part form Dr.Views presentation that stuck with me the most was when he discussed the importance of listening to yourself. By staying true to your beliefs and wants, you can achieve your goals much easier. I can tell he has had times where he was doing something that he did not want to do in terms of career choice. However, he decided to go for the gold and now he feels more accomplished and proud than ever before. His past doesn’t limit him, but guides him towards the next step. I feel I want to implant this in my life as I may be switching majors next year. This decision will takes lots of thinking and effort, but if it is what feels right I have to do it.

• Reply
    Isidro Fonseca

Relationship building and listening to yourself is what I consider to be the most important in a leadership role. Relationship building is fundamental in order to gain support from other people or simply when you need a hand from a particular person. It can be as easy to build new relationships as to exposing yourself to certain events where you live and making those long-term connections. In your path of developing your leadership skills you will often encounter doubt and the need to make important decisions, therefore listening to yourself is key in making your own path as a leader.

• Reply
    Olivia Shults

When Dr. Stevie Johnson was presenting the theme that stuck out to me the most and really resonated was finding your own best fit. I often times make myself fit into the groups I am a part of instead of finding a group that I feel like I am actually being myself in. I really struggled with doing this in high school, I tended to hide who I actually was to fit into the groups I was apart of. Towards the end of my senior year I finally allowed myself to be who I actually in the groups I was in, instead of being who I felt I had to be. Overcoming this has been something very hard for me to do, specially understanding that I don’t need to fit in with every group that I encounter. It has taken a lot of time and I still sometimes struggle with it but I now understand it is okay not to belong in certain groups of people because when you find the groups you do belong in you don’t feel like you have to pretend to be someone you are not.

• The point that resonated with me the most is relationship building. The reason for this is that it helps you build connections and strengthen relationships in groups. In many of the previous groups that I had to work with, the group had no chemistry, and it was hard communicating and collaborating because of this disconnect. Just like Dr. Johnson said, we have to put aside our egos and judgments of the groups and the people in them and be more inviting. By making ourselves more inviting to others, they are likely to do the same. Dr. Stevie Johnson had to do the same with his album. He had to go and show himself as inviting and ask people to collab on this album. He mentioned that some were hesitant and wanted to see what they get out of it and how it benefits them. Over time, these people changed with the openness of Dr. Johnson. This openness and how to use it is one that I want to implement more in my leadership journey to help feel everyone feel included and wanted in the group. I can do this by presenting myself as open and making everyone involved in our work.

• Reply
    Ella Strader

Listening to myself is the one that resonated with me the most. Over the past few years I have learned that listening to myself is very essential. I used to be a people pleaser and only wanted to do what was best for others. Now I know that being myself and listening to myself is very important when it comes to being successful. I know that my mental and physical health are more important than running around all of the time.

• Reply
    Jackson Lehew

I believe that building relationships is one of the greatest factors a leader can have. From some of the people I consider leaders around me, they can’t walk 5 minutes without running into someone and having a full conversation. Being able to connect with people on a personal level will take you far in relationship building. One of the biggest words I’ve heard all semester is networking. Making those connections that will benefit you and others in the future. So, i would personally like to see myself be more personable with the friendships I have and be more intentional with the friendships in the future!

• Reply
    Jayden Batcheller

Finding my own best fit was a point in Dr. View’s discussion that resonated with me. This had a more lasting connection to me than his other points because recently my life has felt very out of control and as if I have no place that I truly belong. Being in a leadership position and struggling to see my own fit clash a little considering that leaders are supposed to help others, yet I cannot seem to help myself. I plan to find my own best fit by making sure whatever it is I do, I do it with a purpose, I will give it meaning.

• Reply
    James Brison

The point that resonated with me the most was listen to yourself. I am the world’s biggest overthinker sometime, no matter the circumstance. Making my own decisions terrifies me because I am always scared of failure. I know it is said that failure is how you grow, yet I still find myself in a place of trying to avoid failure completely. However, by listening to Dr. View’s story of how he made the decision to follow his heart and how successful he came to be out of that gives me confidence to make my own decisions with less fear. Things are not always going to go my way, and it is okay to try to avoid failure in those things. Yet when failure happens, I hope to be able to forgive myself and grow from the situation, and come out the other side better. This is what I hope to apply in my leadership journey moving forward.

• Reply
    Tanner Trevino

One of the biggest points that resonated with me was making the invisible visible. I plan on representing those whose voices and stories haven’t been heard and giving them a voice/platform to speak through. This is something I plan on implementing into the bigger picture of my life through photojournalism. Another point he said that may be pretty basic and straight forward was listen to yourself. I’ve always second guessed myself through life and as a leader this isn’t something you have the privilege to do. So I plan on listening to me more and building more confidence in myself to better lead those around me.

• Reply
    Lani Hensley

I truly believe that the most important point that Dr. View touched base on was relationship building. Solely because individuals are at the focal point of all initiative endeavors. A fruitful leader should be able to construct connections and make networks. I would implement relationship-building into my leadership journey by first appreciating individuals for their personal identities. Then to connect with people and find common ground I would be sure to pose inquiries, truly tune in, and foster a shared responsibility. In addition to this, I believe empowering others to take risks, obliging them in any event, and daring to help their choices will build trust and growth in relationships.

• Reply
    Emily Patrick

Listening to myself is the biggest thing that I have to work on. I tend to push myself past my limits for others, but I don’t look to do the same for myself. I can’t be a good leader if I don’t try to do the same for myself. By listening to myself, I will be able to recognize when I need to step back and take a minute and see what I need to do next.

• Reply
    David Harlin

Dr. View’s suggestion to “listen to yourself” resonated with me. This is my last semester here at UCO, and I have found it very difficult to think about exactly what I want to do post graduation. To me there feels like a lot of pressure that once I have a degree I need to put it to use right after I graduate. I am hesitant however since I do not as of yet know what job or career path would suit me the best. Dr. View made the point that this is okay. I do not have to run head long into anything. Listening to myself is key. I need to tone out all pressures and opinions that other people are forcing on me and listen to what my heart wants.

• Reply
    Jordan Montelongo

Understanding yourself and believing in your capabilities helps you become a better leader. Being honest with yourself and others goes a long way in building strong and valuable relationships. Before you can lead others it is important to understand yourself first. Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new and determine what kind of leader you want to become. I work hard to be relatable to all, without forgetting who I am. Even though times may be difficult, staying focused and committed with a good support system goes a long way. Dr. View stayed true to himself and worked with others who shared a common goal. During my leadership journey, I want to continue to be my authentic self and create strong relationships that will help me become a more effective leader.

• Reply
    Casey Merrill

The point that resonated with me the most was that you should do what is best for yourself and not for others. I have always tried to meet other peoples expectations of me and neglected what it is that I want. I plan on thinking more about what it is that i want to do for myself and find ways to achieve that. It is scary to do things that other people in your life tell you you shouldn’t. If you don’t try than you will never know if it is for you.

• Reply
    Meralyn Staudt

The concept from Dr. View’s time in class that personally resonated the most with me was the importance of listening to yourself. Sometimes whenever there is pressure to perform or create a lot of change for the people you are helping to lead, it can be difficult to listen to your own thoughts and opinions, and not let your decisions be made only by those of other people. Even though taking into consideration other peoples feelings is very important, understand it is just as important to trust yourself and what you think is best! Always remember that at the end of the day, you will do the best you can with the information you have, and that you are in a leadership position because of peoples faith in your ability to lead and make good decisions! Moving forward in my leadership journey, I plan to implement listening and trusting in myself by being selective on who I take advice from, and not involving too many people in my decision making process, which can sometimes cloud your judgement! Trusting your instincts and following your values and beliefs in your actions is a great way to start that.

• Reply
    Roy Angele Kubwimana

During Dr. View’s presentation, one point that resonates with me the most is to listen to yourself, and I am still struggling with that. Growing in an environment where they do not let children or young people speak out or try to speak out, the community discourages them. As a result, it reduces your self-esteem. It becomes hard to believe in yourself because you are sure if your ideas are good enough, especially when older people are in your community. I learned to believe in myself, even though there are many challenges. With time, I will overcome them.

• Reply
    Jentri Jordan

My favorite topic that Dr. View discussed was finding what is right for you. In leadership and service it is always important to do what you enjoy. Dr. View talked about many different things he did from getting his doctorate to creating music to working at UCO, each being something he enjoyed doing and became successful in. I believe that success is a state of mind, and as long as you find your passion, you are going to be successful. I think finding what is right for you is also closely related to his topic of listening to yourself. In order to be good at what you do and happy while doing it you have to follow your heart. You won’t be able to find your passion right away, so it is important to put yourself out there and try as many things as you can before you find what you enjoy doing. Only you know what you truly enjoy doing, and what your passions are, so it is important to not take into consideration of what others think, especially if it isnt constructive. As leaders I think it important to find your true purpose and where you fit in best before you can help lead others.

• Reply
    Kathryn Plunkett

The point that meant the most to me was “listening to yourself”. At the end of the day, the person I will always have is myself. It is so important for one to follow their head and their heart in life. Knowing that I did what is best for me in all aspects of life is very reassuring to my wellbeing. I plan to implement this into my leadership journey by building upon my confidence and trusting myself. If I am confident in myself and in my capabilities, I can lead other people to accomplishing great things due to their new confidence.

• Reply
    Cecilia Alali

The point that resonated with me the most was to be willing to sit in the things you educate yourself with. As someone that overexposed myself during the pandemic to injustices, deaths, and discrimination stories, this was interesting to hear. I’ve never been one to be patient with myself, which I believe was a big contributor to my streak of overexposing myself. Dr. View telling me to be willing to sit in the things that I learn, knowing my boundaries, is completely opposite to what I’m used to. If I want to be a better leader for my communities, I need to be willing to educate myself, but also sit in it, being patient with myself as I healthily internalize it.

• Reply
    Alondra Rios

One point that resonated with me is he mentioned something about actually helping someone out for example leading someone to financial aid not just telling them to go and that those people are the ones that are going to stick with you the most or more like you’ll be thankful about. I just believe that being part of becoming a leader is helping people out with pure heart. I believe that’s true because many people in my life have done that Coach Renteria my high school coach he had been one of those leaders in my life. When talked to him one day and told him that I really loved playing soccer but it just seems super hard because I wasn’t in a club but I was in a Sunday league and I just didn’t see an advancement. He also dedicated his self as a personal coach and he told me to come to my practice and I’ll start coaching you. In conclusion, I believe that characteristic is a huge trait

• Reply
    Jerzi Hawkins

I think the point I took most heart from his visit was listening to yourself and being truly you. It really resonated with me when he was telling us about wasting all the time not DJing because he was scared to tell his mom that that was what he wanted to do. I plan on implementing that is my personal journey by not being afraid to do me. If I want something or have an idea, I am not going to let fear control me and make me waste time. I will live like Dr. View is now and stand up for what I believe in and be willing to take risks.

• Reply
    Alondra Vanessa Rios

One point that resonated with me is he mentioned something about actually helping someone out for example leading someone to financial aid not just telling them to go and that those people are the ones that are going to stick with you the most or more like you’ll be thankful about. I just believe that being part of becoming a leader is helping people out with pure heart.I believe that’s true because many people in my life have done that Coach Renteria my high school coach he had been one of those leaders in my life. When talked to him one day and told him that I really loved playing soccer but it just seems super hard because I wasn’t in a club but I was in a Sunday league and I just didn’t see an advancement. He also dedicated his self as a personal coach and he told me to come to my practice and I’ll start to coach you and did. In conclusion, I believe that the charter trait is a huge trait.

• Reply
    JESSICA CABALLERO

The journey of leadership is different for everyone. I feel like leadership has a lot to do with knowing owns self. Accepting who you are and loving yourself before you can help other people. I feel like building relationships is important but we have to have a solid core foundation of values to build our selves on. I feel like during the path to leadership we must always be willing to continue to learn and accept change. I think that our core foundations and understanding ourselves as a person will make building relationships around us more meaningful and we will have the confidence to pursue our endeavors.

• Reply
    Miranda McLean

It seemed as if there was a magnetic pull in my mind when Dr. Johnson was discussing his answer concerning finding our best fit, as well as working with others. I have always found myself throwing myself in every direction trying to find my best fit, and I never even thought about finding my own best fit. When Dr. Johnson was asked about this, he pondered for a moment, but he had no hesitation in saying to find your own best fit and to not necessarily change your own ways to fit in with others just to make the people around you happy. You could easily tell that he truly understood what it felt like to endlessly try to find a fit and watched others try to do the same.

While he preached to listen to ourselves and find our own best fit, he did not stray from voicing the importance of collaboration. Working with others is something that I always try to involve in my everyday life, so hearing Dr. Johnson talk about the importance of working together resonated with me deeply. As someone who has worked on albums with a large group of people, he understands what it means to collaborate. He discussed that the magic wouldn’t have been made had they not worked together. He also managed to make sure every single person who worked on that album feel important which is admirable.

While these points can easily seem so different, I believe that they can be seen as one. In order to work together, you must find your own best fit so that there’s more opportunity for growth and easy collaboration amongst a group working together.

• Reply
    Alexander Rackley

For me, the point that resonated the most that Dr. View made was a simple sentence that threw me off, but stuck with me. What he said was: “I am not the spokeperson for all of black people”. That is something I’ve always thought, since I’ve been at times the only POC in a group, and would often be forced in a position where i have to speak for an entire race i barely know about. My opinions are my own, and I’m sure you could go down the road and find someone of my complexion that completely disagreed with me. So seeing someone say that, and talk about going out of his way to get as many perspectives he could in his work, gave me something i want to work towards and keep with me for the rest of my days.

• Reply
    Emma Cunningham

I think that the most important point Dr. View brought up is elevating other peoples stories. This allows the people you are surrounded by to feel heard and seen. Furthermore it also allows for you to solidify your point by similar stories of people.It is showing that there are strength in numbers. His point can be implemented into our leadership journey by applying this listening strategy to learning from other peoples experiences. There’s not only help strengthen your relationship with them but also allows you to learn from their experiences and avoid similar pitfalls.

• While I was unable to be present on the day he spoke, I was able to talk to a couple classmates. One of the things that definitely stuck out to me the most was listening to yourself. I have an incredibly hard time taking my opinion into the matter. I constantly ask for others opinions and disregard my own. While I feel that it is important to listen to others you must also be willing to listen to yourself. I plan to practice this as much as possible in my day to day life by having a simple reminder to stick up for myself.

• Dr. View discussing the importance of relationship building and how it can propel our leadership skills forward resonated with me the most. I think relationship building is one of the most important qualities for a leader to have. Having a trusted group of people around you can help you not only reach your goal but also improve yourself as an individual. It’s important to remember that you cannot get anywhere alone and that you must rely on others and work with them if you want to be successful. Also with a following of people comes influence which gives you power to lead and implement your thoughts.

• Reply
    Jessica Lopez

I believe that listening to yourself is very important in leadership. Think of it like this: if you don’t listen to yourself, do you trust yourself? In order to be a good leader, you have to trust yourself because if you don’t, who will? Listen to yourself and creating your own path to success is how you’ll inspire others to do the same. I have a hard time listening to myself and trusting my own decisions because I’m scared of the outcome. I’m afraid of the unknown and being stuck in a position I’m not comfortable in. However, taking risks IS leadership. If you never take risks and trust your own judgment, you’ll be stuck in the same spot you’ve been in.

• Reply
    Jessica Lopez

I believe that listening to yourself is very important in leadership. Think of it like this: if you don’t listen to yourself, do you trust yourself? In order to be a good leader, you have to trust your instincts because if you don’t, who will? Listen to yourself and creating your own path to success is how you’ll inspire others to do the same. I have a hard time listening to myself and trusting my own decisions because I’m scared of the outcome. I’m afraid of the unknown and being stuck in a position I’m not comfortable in. However, taking risks IS leadership. If you never take risks and trust your own judgment, you’ll be stuck in the same spot you’ve been in.

• Reply
    Christina Bejoy

Dr.View’s point on building your own journey resonated with me. He described how he spend 10 years of his life trying to fit into someone else’s mold, or the perception of this mold. Many at times as leaders, we try to act a certain way in order to fit other people’s perception of a “leader”. Dr.View’s story reminds us to think outside the most, ask uncomfortable questions and be in different situations to find where you fit in. It was a reminder to me to use my time wisely, to lead with passion, study with purpose and overall live with motive.

• Reply
    Jazlyn Yarbrough

The point that resonated with me was finding your own best fit. with Dr.View speaking about Day’Quann who is one of my closest friends it open my eyes to realize that when you find your calling build off of it. Knowing Dr. View and Day’quann, by them finding their calling everything has fallen into place in a way to benefit them even if the journey was hard. I want to build off of that by remaining authentic in everything that I challenge myself to take on
    From life’s learning experience, on the daily I want to seek what is for me and what isn’t for me and eventually I will become the leader that I truly can be

• Reply
    Kaylee Bjorkley

The point that resonated the most for me from Dr.Views discussion was listening to yourself. Listening to your gut and treating your health above all. This semester has been a huge change for me. Not having your bestfriend/mom at your side was a hard one for myself starting this year. This year has been lonely and my motivation had been limited. I tried to push myself to do things that I knew mentally I could not to do. I wanted to try and do everything but ended up being exhausted and bottom line, sad. I knew I wasn’t okay but I continued to get out of bed, with the worst attitude, and do everything at 50%. I needed to listen to what I was feeling and take care of myself. A quick weekend trip to my moms fixed that. What I’m trying to say is that listening to yourself is the best way to know how to fix situations you are struggling with or to prevent them. If I had kept going and ignoring myself I would have probably started to give up on everything completely. I would have skipped classes, started failing my work, and I would have regretted throwing it away like that in the end. Except I listened to how I was feeling and adjusted. I plan to implement this into my leadership whenever I am feeling unmotivated or when I feel like I am just not doing enough, I will listen to myself to figure out what I need to do.

• One aspect of Dr. View’s presentation as a whole that I find admirable is the atmosphere cultivated. His use of deliberate and intentional language regarding his community stated clear boundaries and flows for questions following. Dr. View’s subtle yet thought provoking presentation allowed for the question and answer segment to be held in a more intentional and sincere manner than others have had previously.

• Reply
    Gabriela Ramirez

Dr. View discussed various points that will be useful to me in my leadership journey. During his presentation when he mentioned not following his true career choice, due to owing his mom better, to say the least, in some ways this stuck a chord with me. As a first gen in college, I feel the need to make the most of my experience here and have a successful outcome for my family. Dr. View stated “ take a step back and realize that it’s your life and at the end of the day you should always put yourself first”, this is something I reflected on heavily. I appreciated hearing that during the presentation, but another theme I admired about his presentation was his music and the relationship bonding between every member.

• Reply
    Harrison Higdon

I think learning to be able to listen to myself is definitely the aspect touched upon, that I would like to make more of a priority in my leadership and lifestyle. A strength of mine has always been building relationships and getting to know people, and I feel like I am reasonably good at deciding what is the best fit for me in situations. But often times, I can let obligations stack on top of me, procrastinating, and making it more difficult for myself in the future. I bring this up because I believe if I had a better grip on listening to myself, and knowing when to utilize free time to complete work. I would find myself a lot more on top of things and living a more steady way. Having that discipline in my own life is a necessity that I am definitely still figuring out and understanding more and more as I progress through my college career and adulthood.

• The theme of relationship-building was the most appealing to me. Not only did Dr.View have to leave his ego, but he also had to appeal to other artists’ egos. Leaving his office to show that he is on their time. Rather than having those he wished to collab with coming to him for an opportunity they had no idea would be good. Putting his feelings together with his collaborative rather than above or below.

• Reply
    Whisper McDoulett

doing that I forget to focus on what is best for me at the time. A good leader can’t lead when they aren’t completely filled. The best leaders in businesses and government positions are those who give themselves time to refuel. Dr. View did an assignment in a way that would fill himself. Many times there are ways to accomplish a task in a way that will fill yourself. In my leadership journey moving forward, I plan to better fill myself so I can become a better leader.

• Reply
    Kelsey Sanchez

Dr. View made so many good points that resonated with me. “No one can live for you but you,” “listen to yourself,” and the one that stood out to me the most was “stay true to yourself and stay true to your mission.” That quote stood out to me the most because it is so true. It is important for me to stay true to myself in order to succeed and to stay true to my mission. I have to be passionate and serious about my mission or else I will slack and lose focus. It is up to me to do what is right and to believe in myself. I have to go with my gut and listen to myself. I want to start staying true to myself and doing what I believe is best that way I can lead with confidence.

• Reply
    Marcus Evans

The most relevant theme that Dr. View discussed in my opinion is relationship building. Relationship building is a very necessary aspect of life. The relationships one has with his or her peers, bosses, and insubordinates can either make or break the quality of his work life. Relationships with friends and family are important because they can help one’s mental state and help with personal issues. Making new connections and keeping lasting relationships are two of the most important things about being a leader. I think that a leader needs to be able to be comfortable with those around them, which I think can only be done once a stable relationship has been made. I will implement relationship building into my leadership journey by reaching out to those around me and treating them with kindness and respect.

• Reply
    Zain Whitlock

What really gets me going in the mornings is a underdog story and he was telling us his struggles that he was facing because he was a different race. And when he tried real estate he was going to try to beat the norm for him self and try to show everyone that he can do it. And that’s the type of story’s That I really want to get out of bed and show everybody that I can beat the normal and be better if I recognize the hard work and value I’m gonna get from it.

• Reply
    Mariam Ourani

What resonated the most to me from Dr. Views speech was listening to yourself. As i’m getting older i’ve been realizing how scary it is to make your own decisions. Its scary to me because you can make a decision and it can be the complete wrong one, but theres no one to blame other than yourself. However, making mistakes and learning from trial and error is what we need as humans. I know once i overcome my fear of making the wrong decisions, its going to benefit me as a leader in several ways.

Reply