Week 7 – Lessons in Leadership – Jill Castilla

During Jill’s presentation, she discussed “doing the next right thing” and “when you start doing things differently, people will challenge you.” How can you remain committed to these principles without sacrificing integrity and authenticity?

• Reply
    Alexander Rackley

Throughout my life, I have always believed that truth and honesty are the best ways to live life. Not only in words, but in action as well. So, I am used to both “doing the right thing” and people hating you for it. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me if people hate because of my actions, since it tells me who is right to keep around and who isn’t. ESPECIALLY if instead of constructive criticism, they just hate and berate and try to bring you down. That’s just not a vibe.

• Reply
    Katherine Ryerson

I enjoyed the emphasis Jill put on “doing the next right thing,” because as leaders, looking at the big picture can be overwhelming. Oftentimes, if we become overwhelmed, we then lose sight of our mission or task at hand. In order for Jill to make the next right choice, she had to upset some people. I am motivated by the way she gracefully handles conflict, while staying true to who she is. I also am impressed that she does not fear conflict. I think that is the key to staying committed to those principles without sacrificing integrity or authenticity. If we can stay true to ourselves and our mission, while doing what is best for our cause, then we will most likely find success. Jill is a great example of how hard work, confidence, and persistence can make great change.

• Reply
    Katherine Ryerson

I enjoyed the emphasis Jill put on “doing the next right thing,” because as leaders, looking at the big picture can be overwhelming. Oftentimes, if we become overwhelmed, we then lose sight of our mission or task at hand. In order for Jill to make the next right choice, she had to upset some people. I am motivated by the way she gracefully handles conflict, while staying true to who she is. I also am impressed that she does not fear conflict. I think that is the key to staying committed to those principles without sacrificing integrity and authenticity. If we can stay true to ourselves and our mission, while doing what is best for our cause, then we will most likely find success. Jill is a great example of how hard work, confidence, and persistence can make great change.

• Remaining committed to the principle of “doing the next right thing” and “when you start doing things differently, people will challenge you” can be a very difficult task. Although sticking to these principles can be challenging, they are possible to achieve without losing my integrity and authenticity. In fact, I think that sticking to these principles strengthens my integrity and authenticity. Knowing that I am doing the right things shows others my integrity and doing what I need to do despite what others think shows my authenticity because I am sticking to my own morals. Although making decisions sometimes will result in losing people around me, it would be worth it if I knew what I was doing was the right thing. If others think I am wrong, I would want them to tell me and explain why they think that way and we can discuss the situation, possibly resulting in them changing my mind, me changing their mind, or a compromise.

• Reply
    Emily Patrick

Remember who you are. When you feel you are failing yourself, reevaluate and fix and move one. But before you can do any of this, you have to know your values and priorities. If you do not know them then how can you lose what you do not know?

• Reply
    Amaya Coleman

You can achieve that by staying grounded in your morals in everything that you do. Then just making sure that you are doing the next right thing. Don’t let others stray you away from what you believe in.

• Reply
    Jessica Caballero

I asked Jill during her presentation how she decided to take on a leadership role and what made her go for it. She responded by saying that a lot of the time it has to do with the faith that people have in the organization. If employees have a good working environment and enjoy what they are doing then the call to step up and help will be there. Someone will step into leadership without having to sacrifice integrity and authenticity because they truly believe in the cause. Change is hard and overcoming adversity and resistance is lonely but having the belief that making structural changes will improve a workspace is vital to the survival of an organization through proper demonstration of leadership. The point of change is not to punish or hard the organization or its members, it is to improve on things that don’t work and help with creative innovations of approaching problems.

• Reply
    Christina Bejoy

Jill’s presentation taught us the importance of facing adversities head on in order to lead with resilience. She showed us how to do the right thing no matter the consequence. As leaders it is very easy to loose our direction and do everything for popularity or the approval of those around you. However, always having a core group of people who identify with your morals and passions, will help in continuing to follow the right path. As Jill said, giving a reason for people to follow you helps to be motivated to stay on the path you have made for yourself. If you are doing right by the people around you, even if those around you might not appreciate it at first eventually they will understand the positive impact you have made in their lives.

• Staying true to your beliefs when you have pushback from those around you is difficult to do. It’s easy to fold and give into the pressure when you’re outnumbered. In order to remain committed to your principles I think it’s important to take a step back and look at the big picture to remind yourself of your stance. I think it’s helpful to take each day at a time and keep in mind that as long as you’re reflecting the values you believe in, it will be easy to stand strong despite the conflicting beliefs around you. Also, I think taking time out of your day to meditate/pray/quiet time can help to destress and recollect your thoughts helps remain authentic.

• Reply
    Marcus Evans

Before you can remain committed to your principles when put under pressure, you need to really define what those principles are and why you have them. For example, some people put their family life over their work life, and when the going gets tough, they focus more on work than they do family. If they stayed true to their principles then they would not have sacrificed their life outside of work. Why do we have the principles we do? It is really all just apart of defining who we are as a person. When that gets challenged, we need to persevere without yielding your principles. If you sacrifice your principles then you also sacrifice your authenticity and people will assume that you have no genuine loyalty.

• Reply
    Jordan Montelongo

As a leader you know what you are capable of and you can achieve whatever you put your mind to. There will always be challenges one may face, but it is important to learn from those lessons and positively translate them into your future. Ms. Castilla took risks and continued to challenge herself throughout her life, and she was able to translate those life experiences into a successful career. Not everyone will agree with you and sometimes people will put you in a difficult spot, but as leaders we must stay focused to find a way out of any situation. Having a support system next to you during your journey will motivate you to do what you think is best even if that means taking judgement from others. Believing in myself and taking every situation one step at a time has helped me ensure I am communicating my message clearly and authentically.

• Reply
    Jayden Batcheller

Without sacrificing integrity and authenticity I can remain committed to these principles by being who I am. If I am intentional with who I am as a person I will be content with myself. Be transparent in who I am, I want to be the same person everywhere I go. She spoke about giving people a reason to follow you, I think this is important. Anyone can want to lead others, but it takes a reason for them to follow you, so give them one. Strong communication in all aspects would be helpful on many accounts.

• Reply
    Whisper McDoulett

Standing out from a crowd can be one of the most difficult things to ever do. In Jill’s story she had to be the “bad guy” in a situation that was completely immoral. Being the only person on the morally correct side of the big affair meant she had to handle being disliked. I believe that in these situations, the key to success is having a support system of any kind. Whether it’s your family or a colleague, in trials that are challenging you need someone supporting you. With outside perspectives and opinions being thrown at someone day in and day out, the choice on what to do is ultimately up to the individual. Morals and values have to be accounted for before making any decision. In this way, the choice will be one that is never regretted and no personal values will be sacrificed. As Pastor Craig Groeschel once said, “Show me your friends, and I’ll show you your future.” It’s important to surround yourself with people that will hold you accountable and won’t allow you to sacrifice your values.

• Reply
    Teagan Jellison

To remain strong in these morals along with maintaining your own personal integrity, you have to truly know who you are. You can’t let everyone that passes by change your mindset on different topics. You have to remain strong in your ideas, but be open enough to see others perspectives. When they start to challenge you, you have to really think about what that persons perspectives might be on the situation. This way you can understand their reasoning as well. But, to do the next right thing you may have to set aside your own beliefs and others challenges and think critically. In the long run, even if doing what is truly right doesn’t completely align with your ideals, the long term outcome will be what’s best for every person in every situation. As Taylor Swift says “haters gonna hate” and you can’t let that stop you from doing what’s right.

• Reply
    Emma Cunningham

The world around us is constantly changing and in order for us to keep up, we have to morph with it. This does not mean to abandon what you are doing in its entirety, but instead alter your methods to keep up with the changing environment. I think that this is what Jill meant. For example, Jill started working in the deteriorating downtown Edmond, so she began to throw events like Herd on Hurd as well as putting a wifi blanket over downtown Edmond. This undoubtedly changed a lot of things around town, but she was still doing the same job as before, which was doing what would best help the bank. Granted, people get uncomfortable with change and commonly push back against it. Jill showed this as she talked about the people calling her the “devil” for the changes she was making at the bank. Regardless, she knew what she had to do and stayed true to revitalizing the bank. This very obviously has paid off. I believe you can apply these principles while still being loyal to your beliefs by figuring out how to adapt your goal to your surroundings.

• Integrity and authenticity are two very important parts of someone’s character and their demeanor. Upholding these can be extremely difficult especially when challenging others. Everyday leaders are speaking out and making sure their voices are heard. However, more often than not, they are rejected. When a majority of people have been doing something one way the same every time, it can be hard to suggest changes. By allowing yourself to listen to those you may disagree with, you can create a more trustworthy relationship. While this is a good tactic, it is also important to hold your ground. By sticking with your ideas and being confident, others will surely follow as they themselves look into the idea and embrace it.

• Reply
    Emilee J Handy

This lesson was really important to me, because there have been many times in my life when I lost friends, or even family, because I was doing things that were important to me, that did not fit what those people wanted me to value. During those times one thing that helped me stay true to myself is reminding myself that I love myself. I love who I am, and I love the people who support me in my life, and just knowing those things makes me so happy that I do not feel the need to change for the people who do not agree with me. I know that I am strong enough in my self worth that I do not have to alter things in my life to conform to someone on the outside of it.

• Reply
    Isidro Fonseca

Jill’s discussion is an inspiring story of overcoming criticism both by loved ones and coworkers. One of the most fundamental concepts is to remain true to the principles that will motivate you to make the changes you want. When you start to make a positive change there will always be people who do not want to see you succeed or simply the changes will affect them, just like Jill talked about when she came back to the bank. Now, it’s important to stay true to your principles/values because along your path of change other individuals will try to change your thoughts, and your overall goal of making things right and differently. In addition, when you start making things right people will notice your good intentions and the correct people will follow and support your goals. Therefore, identify your principles and maintain focused towards your goals because when the right people support you, together you can make the right changes and overcome negativity.

• Reply
    Jessica Jones

Among many other incredible things, one of those which Mrs. Castilla emphasized most was the importance of communication, and specifically that “the hardest thing to communicate is a lie”. This is directly applicable to the concepts of integrity and authenticity within both acting rightly and facing adversity because of it, as, in actuality, these principles are inseparable. When you do the right thing to best of your knowledge, even if it is different and you receive negative responses for it, you are acting with authenticity and integrity. Similarly, because a lie is more difficult to communicate than the truth, when you are challenged on the basis of these authentic actions, the integrity of your principles and intentions will show through. This is not to say that you cannot also be respectful and empathetic in your communication, especially with your challengers, but ultimately we cannot control other’s responses, only our own actions. It may be the harder path sometimes, and it certainly is difficult to be challenged in that way by our peers or even friends, but ultimately if there is only one choice which is truly ours to make, it seems as though we have some responsibility to ourselves to make it the right one. “Principles are like lighthouses… It is impossible for us to break [them]. We can only break ourselves against [them]” (Stephen Covey).

• Reply
    Zain Whitlock

It’s important to know who you are and what you stand for. When people get new experiences people tend to change on who they are and they. And doing so tend to pick up unhealthy and toxic habits that effects others even if you change to do something else.
    Having a religion helps to keep you on the right path and keeping integrity.

• How I believe that you could stay doing the right thing in a challenging environment is stay being you. Haters are going to hate, and haters are everywhere and do not let what they have to say get to your head. Also don’t try to fit in and agree to be good with them. Life is a challenge, but we are all here for a reason. I know what I’m saying is super easy to wright but hard to do but ayeee you got it! Have thick skin but also it okay to cry when you’re alone thinking about everything, they are saying but wipe your tears and get up! Also going through a path remember by law of gravity everything that goes up comes down so even with your thick skin be nice be you do what you are supposed to do so when they realize you were doing the right thing all long, they could be there for you.

• I believe that to stay committed these principles of “doing the next right thing” and “when you start doing things differently, people will challenge you” is to display the ability to inspire. In other words, to influence the group of people to follow you is to install motivation and desire into them and as a result, this pushes the group forward and towards the crucial goal you have in mind. But first, you need to know when to inspire because everyone is different and have different values and views. That is the hard part. You are going to have to be honest and express vulnerability to them. By doing that, you are going to highlight their values in your speech and set yourself in their shoes. Tell them what are the costs of achieving this goal and then come back with remember your core values and the past. For example, lets say your trying to save a building from being demolished and there is history of that building saving people. Highlight that important detail and use it as a motivating factor. Even if people doubt you, put yourself in the front line and show them the full potential you have inside you and what your capable of to get to the next big level.

• Reply
    Jimmy Davison

I think it is vitally important for leaders to stick to their values, you can’t be an effective leader is you can’t lead properly if you don’t care about what you’re doing. I believe the best way to do that is to focus on the end goal and don’t stray from my beliefs

• Reply
    Matelyn Jones

I think it is true that when you start to do things differently, people will challenge you. We see this in every leadership position, and it can be productive or not. I think becoming a leader it is important to figure out how to find productive interactions, and use them to become a better leader. There will always be people who question your motives, but getting questioned about them can help you become certain about your motives. It is easier to go without being questioned, but there is more growth when you are questioned. To keep your integrity and authenticity it is best to answer these questions, and think of your own questions.

• Reply
    Claire Hardin

I believe that I can remain committed to the principles Jill discussed by relying on and growing in my foundation. Without a specific belief system, it is easy for our beliefs to change depending on the circumstances. Certainly, character growth is important, and it is good to reassess why you believe what you believe. However, remaining consistent in your values is integral to making good decisions.

My foundation is where my integrity is sown and authenticity is encouraged. That foundation is my faith. I know some instances will challenge my belief system, but that is why I make time to learn more about what I believe and why I believe it. Therefore, when I encounter challenging situations, understanding the why behind my belief will provide me with the resolve to do the “next right thing.”

On the other hand, I struggle with authenticity even though my foundation gives me the freedom to be completely myself. I believe authenticity is derived from humility. Self-centered pride is contrary to humility and takes many forms. I have had to catch myself taking pride in my “humility.” However, true humility cannot be undermined, and it is something I am currently working on. Moreover, I also believe that humility stems from self-confidence. Through my faith, I am currently building my self-confidence by breaking down the misperceptions of myself that I have ingrained into my thought process over the years.

• Reply
    Cheyanne Young

No matter what you do in life people are always going to challenge you and what you believe in. In those difficult times when no one is on your side, it can be hard to stay committed to those principals and remain authentic to yourself. Personally I think in order for me to remain authentic in times of adversity is to remember why I started and my end goal. People doubting you and decision can throw you off track, so remembering why you started is the best thing a person can do to remain authentic .

• Reply
    Jerzi Hawkins

I believe you can only stay true to yourself if you know who you are and what your values are going into a situation. You have to do some self reflection and know yourself to be an effective leader. There is no “right thing” to do it you do not know where you stand on issues or your personal values. I also think a way to stay true to yourself is to find people around you that know you well to hold you accountable.

• Reply
    Hana Abdelhadi

Being genuine is something that is very important to me. I always try to treat others with respect and gratitude while also being truthful. Whenever you do things because you know it’s right, it is always a good thing. Even when the outcome looks rough, at least at the end of the day you can be proud that you made the right decision. Of course, people do not like change, that is why they will always challenge a new idea. This is why it is significant to take the time to listen to peoples’ complaints and try to explain your view in a friendly manner. People respond to kindness and flexibility and are more prone to be genuine if they see it coming from someone else as well.

• Reply
    James Brison

“Doing the next right thing” can be such a scary thing if everyone is so used to and in favor of the wrong thing. If someone else has been leading wrong the whole time, stepping up and doing things right is gonna cause enemies, because of how much our human nature hates change. In Jill’s case, the bank reached such a low point that the employees and others could finally see what Jill had been fighting to fix. Sometimes others will see our side and join us in the fight. And sometimes others will stick their foot in the ground and fight change now matter what. And as a people-pleaser like myself, having people against you can be extra discouraging. But the best mindset you can have is to work to come together with others, but never forget what you’re fighting for. By remembering your morals when times get hard, trials you face can be a little better.

• Growing up I was always a people pleaser and would never stay true to my belief when I believed it would make someone not like me. After many different experiences, some good and some bad, I know that everyone has their own beliefs and I should not tiptoe around others. I know that I can make an impact in my community by sticking to what I believe in because it does not always matter what others think of me. If I believe in myself and have a support system I do not need anything else.

• Reply
    Kathryn Plunkett

I can stay committed to the principles that I value first by recognizing what those are. I need to really evaluate what is important to me to determine where I stand when issues arise. Sometimes when in a position of authority, competitors and even teammates can try to throw roadblocks in your path. I think it is important to be transparent and allow others to see where I stand, and stay true to myself. At the end of the day, I want to know that I made the right decisions based on my core values, not based on what the audience wanted me to do.

• Reply
    Tanner Trevino

I think before you think of doing the “next right thing” you have to think about what drives you and where your passions lie, those will help you determine what you consider to be “right” morally . “Once you start doing things differently and people challenge you”, I think you have to listen to what they say and hear them out without taking it as an attack. Being as unbiased as possible when receiving constructive criticism can help you retain integrity and will help others follow what you’re doing. Doing the right thing Historically has always gone against the flow, but it’s where the hope for the future is planted.

• It is seemingly everyday that I am challenged. This is not because what I am deciding is bad or incorrect, but because others think that there is a more right or faster way to get where I am trying to go. I would respectfully disagree most of the time and move on. I continue to take advice, but I know that I am the only one that can forge my path. The best example I can think of is getting a bachelors at UCO. I will be the first person in my immediate family to graduate with a four year degree. I was told over and over to stay in Stillwater because it would be cheaper, but I wanted to come here. I am now able to pay my own way through college. My decision to come here is one that was constantly challenged, but I am grateful to myself for sticking to my gut.

• You can be committed to the principles just by always standing and defending them. If you stand by your goals and what you think is best, people around you will notice your integrity because you are upfront and honest with your principles. Standing by these beliefs and defending them while being challenged by others can show authenticity. People will observe that you are authentic and trustworthy and see that what you see is what you get. No one will ever agree with exactly what you say. Everyone is distinct, and others around you might change their opinions towards you. You can explain why you feel the way you do and why you acted the way you did, but you can not change their minds about the topic or their opinions on you. This is a loss that people in these situations have to take, but in the end, they will find more people who recognize them for their integrity and authenticity, and people will start to follow them, just like what happened to Jill Castilla. Her employees spread false information about her and did not respect her without giving her a chance to act or explain her actions except for one, who saw what she was doing for the bank and respected her and helped her.

• Reply
    Cecilia Alali

One goal I had when I first got to UCO was to set convictions I would hold myself to as I met new people and was introduced to new things. This has really helped as I continue to “do the next right thing”. I also loved when Jill introduced that challenges will come when you do things differently. Through her speech, I learned to just do the next right thing and hold true to my convictions when I’m faced with challenges. If I lay down my beliefs before anything, it will be much easier to have integrity and be authentic.

• Reply
    Cecilia Alali

• Reply
    Olivia Shults

When “doing the next right thing” it is important to know what you stand for, that way you can truly know what the next right thing is for you and the people around you is to know what you believe in. Often doing the right thing starts by doing things differently and this can cause people to challenge you. Jill talked a lot about the difficulties of leading a team that did not like her doing things differently. She talked about how when things got tough she found things to ground her. Another big thing Jill did when struggling with the opinions of others was just continuing to do what she believed was right, living by this has brought Jill to where she is today.

• Reply
    Jessica Lopez

I am a firm believer that doing things differently won’t sacrifice your authenticity, but rather strengthen it. Stay true to yourself and be honest with yourself as well. Although people will challenge and doubt you, as long as you stick to your morals and KNOW you’re doing the right thing, you will create the strongest version of yourself.

• Reply
    Lani Hensley

In life, you must realize that you cannot make everyone happy all the time. There will always be people who will disagree with you and/or doubt you. When you start feeling the pressure of a crowd you must reassess your goals and values. You cannot let your vision and your mission get blurred by hatred. You must keep your focus and your head up even during the bad times. Nonetheless, never change or lose your sense of self because people do not agree with your ideas.

• Reply
    Roy Angele Kubwimana

What helped me is to know who I am, which means knowing my values and my identity. People are created differently and have different preferences. So when I am doing the right things that are beneficial to the majority of society, some people may oppose me or try to challenge me, especially if I am doing something new or unusual. It is always good to remember who you are and try to relate to the society you are serving.

• Reply
    Jentri Jordan

Sometimes when faced with challenges and adversity it becomes difficult to stay focused on a goal. I liked how Jill used her own life experiences to show us how even when struggling with these obstacles it is important to do “the next right thing”. She also talked alot about her life, and how even though her life wasn’t perfect, she still found the confidence in herself to always do the right thing. She made the right decisions, even when she knew it would make people not like her. She showed strength and integrity that I want to reflect in my life. Making big decisions can be difficult, but when you take the big picture and narrow it down into small decisions it becomes easier to be able to make the right choice. Being honest and true to yourself is the best way to know you are making the right choice. Don’t change yourself or base your action off what somebody is telling you to do, if you know it isn’t the right choice. Having these principles and integrity can strengthen your character, and every time you make the right choice it becomes easier to make the next one.

• I really enjoy that class because I thought she was taking about me. Challenges, principles, and focused on your goals. I was taking people’s thoughts before seriously before, but then I realized I need to know who I was and what I needed. I have many things to share but I will leave it here.

• Reply
    Miranda McLean

Staying true to your character when others turn against you is possibly one of the hardest things to do. I admire Mrs. Castilla and her ability to keep her head held high when others were trying to knock her down.

Honesty is your best friend when is comes to leading others. People might not appreciate your honesty at times, but ultimately it will help you in the end. I always do my best to let my integrity lead the way, even if I know others will turn against me. Sometimes doing what we believe to be the right thing leads to doing things differently which then leads to others turning their backs on us. At the end of the day, honesty leads the way.

• Reply
    Ashley Jimenez

Although it is challenging to stay committed to having integrity and authenticity, it is important to remain committed. Staying true to yourself is crucial when facing challenges and people who are trying to bring you down. I, myself have experienced a situation where I did the right thing and people started to challenge me. It is really difficult to not just give up and go back to how it was before. Thankfully, I had someone to tell me to keep it up because it will be beneficial for them in the long run. After that, I abide by my morals and values.

• Reply
    Kelsey Sanchez

First by “doing the next right thing” you have to have a good moral compass to refer to from time to time. Everyone has their own beliefs, opinions, and ideas that motivate them in their daily life cycle. From my experience the only way to stay true to yourself without sacrificing your own integrity and authenticity is to hold myself accountable. If your only doing the right thing when people are watching then you are breaking your own code. It is actually about your daily life choices and the things that you do when nobody is looking. Yes, there will be people that hate what you stand for because they want to discredit you but as long as you stay true to yourself there will be no worries.

• Reply
    Harrison Higdon

Being your true self, having integrity, and figuring out how to greet people with respect, are a few of the most important things I learned at a young age. These three character traits correspond well with Jill’s discussion about doing the next right thing. Once you start to be true and open up to others around you, opportunities and good good fortunes will come you way. It’s the small actions, when no one is watching, that stick out the most and remain the important. It’s all about having confidence in being yourself, while also being true to others and treating them with respect.

• Reply
    Kaylee Bjorkley

I liked the fact that Jill was so confident in what her beliefs are. Sometimes, when in a leadership role, you tend to want to please the crowd. What I mean by that is continue to be glorified with what you can provide your supporters with. We all can be influenced by the wrong people, say a new group of friends that you recently befriended start to push you to parties and tell you to skip class.. well this is when you can either stick to your integrity and do the right thing and quit hanging with them, or be taken down with them and please their wants. And if you do do the wrong thing and make a mistake. Fix it. Be honest with yourself and don’t deny that you messed up. Get some advice, push yourself to remember who you know you are as a leader, and re-evaluate your situation. Show a authenticity in your position, and correct your dependability. People will see that and come to you as a honest, truthful, and trustful leader and know they are good in your hands. It’s your choice, there’s not a way to “remain” committed. It’s in your mind, you choose wether you want to be there as a leader.

• Reply
    Meralyn Staudt

Remaining committed to your principles, values, and beliefs without sacrificing integrity and authenticity is something that we all struggle with. It can seem like there are so many factors contributing to the situation and things can get complicated and confusing very quickly. It is important to take things day by day, and to simply do your best to do the “next right thing” and make the best decision you can with the information you have, and to leave it at that. Another thing to keep in mind is that the world is going to challenge you and it isn’t going to be easy to advocate for your own beliefs all of the time. Going against a norm can cause a lot of disruption and drama, but know that if you are fighting for what is right that is always the most important thing! Learning about who you are and what you truly believe and think is right is one of the first steps to having confidence in your values and beliefs.

• Reply
    Adrian Smith

While I was in football I learned something important. That practicing discipline in the details can help keep you looking at the good things. Because taking into account the small things that matter in front of you rather than around you keeps you focused on the good you are doing. Even if someone is of a different opinion.

• Reply
    Jackson Lehew

The most important rule is stay true to yourself. I have learned over the past few years, that it is hard to please everyone. I am a people pleaser so I struggled with this idea. When it comes to your judgment you always need to do what feels right to you, and goes along with your beliefs. Some people will recognize that what is happening is right, while others will get mad that It is not going their way. The main thing is that making everyone happy is nearly impossible, but if you make your decisions based on your good judgement, then at least you know you made the best decision you could have made.

• Reply
    Kelci Hoffman

Being able to continue on with a mission like Jill was able to do with the bank takes amazing courage and leadership skills. People sometimes get caught up on with not wanting to hurt people’s feelings, which of course should never be the goal. However, in Jill’s case there were many many issues with the establishment and she was hired on to fix said issues. Jill accomplished what she was hired to do despite being talked about and hated at her place of work. Jill knew her task was not going to be easy but she stuck with it and over came all obstacles.

• Reply
    mariam Ourani

Jill’s presentation defiantly had me thinking about how often in your journey in becoming a leader you’ll often find yourself wondering what the right choice to do is. Sometimes you can be hesitant in making the right decisions because your worried of the backlash, or if it may upset some people. But at the end of the day you need to come face to face with your obstacles and make a decision. The right decision may result in upsetting people but its very important to remain firm with your morals and beliefs even if its hard. And if those around you are worth your time, any conflict or disagreement can be resolved and it’s nothing to fear.

• It’s definitely hard to maintain integrity and authenticity in the face of adversity. It can be easier to just go with the flow and try to look the other way.

However, it’s important to figure out your values first. You have to know where you stand on issues before trying to fight against them. But, once you find out your views, it will still be hard to maintain your integrity. You have to have a lot of determination and strength to be able to do it.

• Reply
    Chance Palmer

I think people challenge each other everyday. I for one am challenged with remembering that people are only human. I have very strong opinions and values and ideas. I feel so strongly about things that i don’t understand how others could think differently. Sometimes me not being able to see how others can think differently can lead to me viewing them in an unkind lens. Over time I have tried to understand why people think and feel the things they do. I think I’ve become quite good at it. And while I may have an opinion that others will disagree. or challenge me on, I can at least remember that I’m only one person and I’ve have experiences others never had. As for doing the next right thing, I’d say that’s something I need to work on. Whenever I make mistakes I really let them tie me down. But really i should be looking at how I can do better next time or just start looking for that next time first.

Reply