Week 3 – Lessons in Leadership – Representatives Pae and Cruz

Both Representative Pae and Cruz discussed working across the aisle and engaging with individuals who do not necessarily share your ideas and perspectives. How as a leader, can you work effectively in a group or community with ideas and perspectives which differ from you own?

• Christina Bejoy

As a leader, we are bound to work in environments that don’t directly correlate to our ideas and perspectives. I believe that as the representatives said, working with empathy and humility will allow anyone to work with various perspectives.

I can work with my fellow colleagues by being understanding, rather than judging someone for their perspective or opinion. I can work with them in order to create change and try to understand where they are coming from. I will be more prone to compromising and working to satisfy both our perspectives when I have an empathetic attitude.

Furthermore, humility will lead me to take the time to thoroughly understand my groups perspective, instead of just forcing them to agree with my ideas. I would be able to create a more collaborative environment, if I am willing to listen and be attentive to the opinions and ideas of those around me.

As a leader, I would like to be able to unify my community and group rather than break them apart due my personal beliefs. I believe in the value of humility and empathy in any environment and would like to continue to lead with these attributes.

• Kyrah Raasch

As a leader, I can always make sure to be open minded when having conversations with others and listening to their ideas and perspectives. After they share their ideas, if I still disagree with them, then I first need to realize that everyone has their own opinions and that I need to respect that. I can be honest with them in why I believe the way I do or have the opinions I do. At the end of the day, whatever project or assignment you are working on with others can be put to the side and the people you agree or disagree with are still people. Get to know those people on a personal level and leave work tension to the side. Another thing that is smart is to take some time away from everyone to think everything through then, create a compromise with the people you are working with.

• Ashley Jimenez

I want to start off by saying I admire both representatives for dealing with that on a day-to-day basis. Working with someone who has different views as me can be handy. I would ask them their reasoning about their viewpoint on the topic and try to understand where they’re coming from. Whenever I see where they’re coming from, it is up to me either I take something away from their reasoning or drop it. Keeping the conversation going with set tones helps, since I wouldn’t want anyone in my group feel invalidated just because they have a different mindset as me. It shouldn’t be difficult if I respect them and still treat them as a person.

• Emily Patrick

Part of being a good leader is knowing that everyone is a person and every person has opinion. Those opinions may not align with your own; that does not mean that they are wrong! People’s past experiences and backgrounds play a part in their formation of thoughts. Others ideas and perspectives let you see the problem from a different point of view. When conflict arises, that is a chance to get to know your cohorts and see how they think and what is important to them. Being a leader, those who you are leading should be the deciding reason in a situation. As the leader, you are the conduit through which those being lead speak through, meaning that your opinion plays a part but is not the deciding factor.

• Matelyn Jones

Working with other people is an important thing in the past, present, and future. As I am on my journey of becoming an engineer it is really important that I can communicate with people who don’t have the same ideas. I really like Representative Pae’s advice to talk with them and learn where they are coming from. I also liked Representative Cruz’s advice to respect the other person and find compromise. Both of these advice are super helpful. One thing I love about the brainstorming part of engineering is where we can come up with the most ridiculous ideas in order to reach the best idea. In engineering and the world in general I think it is vidal to have people with different views. It is important that not everyone thinks the same. If we all thought the same we would only achieve in one aspect, we might have one type of laptop rather than thousands. I know I keep talking about engineering, but that is how I think best. Outside of engineering it is still really important to work effectively in a group/community. For our group projects it is important to take in everyone’s ideas and talents to have the best possible outcome and to make everyone feel safe in the environment.

• Whisper McDoulett

As a leader, I can take the initiative to better understand each individual’s strengths and abilities. Many times it can be difficult to collaborate with someone who holds completely different views than yourself. This is why it’s vital to not focus on the differences, but understand a common mission that you share. I personally hold very strong beliefs of many variances and stand firm in those. This causes me to many times disregard ideas or zone out as soon as something being presented sounds like it could contradict with a belief of mine. I am aware of this downfall and now work to be as present in the moment as possible. Since working on this, there have been times where I catch myself hearing somebody out and it results in a good idea that we can utilize in a given situation. I am still a work in progress, but I now thoroughly enjoy hearing different perspectives and collaborating to create something even greater together.

• Cecilia Alali

Rep. Cruz made a consistent point that to lead when you disagree with someone, you must see someone for who they are, a human, just like you. At the end of the day, we are all just people, and as a leader, it is my duty to invest in people. The key, I believe, to leading people with different ideals than you is to see past the disagreements, and change your perspective. At the end of the day, we are all just people trying to achieve a goal. While it’s hard looking past big disagreements over tactics, personal beliefs, etc., it is vital to leading through difficulty.

• Jerzi Hawkins

With listening to Representative Pae and Cruz, I took away a main point for working with others who differ from you, and that would be to put each other humanities first. Remember that everyone is human first when speaking to them. I believe that if we do that, and we listen to learn and understand instead of to respond, we can really start to understand others views, and work with them in the most productive way possible. A quote I got from Representative Pae that I love is “a good idea is a good idea, no matter where it came from”. I think this is very important to remember, especially as leaders. I believe that all minds create great ideas and we have to be willing to hear people out to capitalize on that. In the end, multiple minds are better than a single mind when working on a team.

• Zain Whitlock

Working as a leader, you always have to keep in mind that there will always be someone speaking in your ear that what you’re doing is wrong or they don’t think we should do that idea. It’s always important to keep your cool if that comment made you angry or offended. However, ask that person why you think that and try to reach a new or counter plan. As leaders, we need to work as one instead of going at the situation like a mess or someone angry. Always hear people out to instead of going all-in if you’re that type of leader, listen to your people and take account of what they think should happen.

• Jenna Karp

I think a huge character trait essential to becoming an impactful leader is empathy. Representative Pae even credited empathy as one of the 3 qualities necessary to lead. Trying to collaborate with individuals who differ on perspectives can be extremely difficult, especially on a topic you’re passionate about. Approaching the situation with empathy in trying to understand their vantage point and opinions can go a long way. It’s also crucial to treat the opposing individual with respect and remember that they too are a person just trying to lead and implement the best idea. Approaching the situation with respect and empathy truly makes all the difference in working with those having opposing beliefs.

• Ella Strader

In my community I can be a leader by listening to those who do not share the same views as me. I can be the person that helps people compromise and learn to listen to other views without being close-minded.
    It is not always easy to be in the middle of the conversation, but I believe I am strong enough to be the one helping others make decisions to listen to their peers. I will also be able to stay true to my morals and not change as a person.

• Jordan Montelongo

Leadership is all about being able to guide and collaborate ideas with others who share a common goal. Although Representatives Pae and Cruz are on the opposite side of the aisle, they share a common goal of helping all Oklahomans. As leaders we must be able listen to all perspectives, as all opinions may be valuable in ways we may have never thought of. Both representatives emphasized the importance of having a closer bond with one another. Leaders must be able to create a deeper connection with other leaders, as it allows them to see one another as humans, rather than opposers. It takes compromise and humility to be the most effective, but expressing openness and honesty is what makes a great leader.

• Alondra Rios

I feel like you could effectively go around the obstacle of not sharing the same idea by communicating and understanding. I feel it’s okay to disagree and have different opinions towards situations but that action you take after that really determine who you are. The situations change in a group slightly because you must go around and find something you all could agree with but that’s when communicating comes in handy. You must be able to communicate and try to find a solution to the problem. Remember also to do it respectful.

• As a leader, I can work effectively in a group that has ideas and perspectives that differ from my own by keeping an open mind and by respecting the people around me. Though I may not have the same opinions as they do, I still value them as people and acknowledge that they can come up with great ideas. It is also important to always respect those around you because they are also making the effort to respect you when they do not agree with your perspectives either.

• Teagan Jellison

As a leader I can effectively work in a group with ideas and perspectives different from my own by listening to their ideas and creating compromise. Compromise is one of the greatest ways to get things done in a group setting. You will never be able to get two opposing sides to 100% agree with each other, and if they continue pushing against the other persons ideas nothing will get accomplished. One of the greatest and most long lasting examples of compromise is the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Republicans and Democrats were fighting against each other and the act was not progressing. Eventually, the two sides reached across the aisle to make this law more acceptable for one another. This compromise led to the start of equal rights for African Americans all over the United States. Without this compromise our country would not be where it is at today. This further proves that compromise is the greatest way to work with others who have different perspectives and ideas than yourself.

• Emilee J Handy

I loved getting to hear from both Representatives on Tuesday. In the past, I have struggled seeing eye to eye with people when our opinions differ, and I think that hearing the phrase ” a good idea is a good idea” really opened my mind up to see a bigger picture. It brought attention to the fact that when you are working with a team, it is not always about who the other person is, but more about the fact that you are really sharing a common goal of some kind. Who they are does play a key role, but opening myself up to how they are trying to reach their goals might just be a different way of how I am trying to reach mine. I think once that is understood, the team dynamic becomes more cooperative and it is easier to form middle ground. I also think that knowing that you have lived a much different life than those around you really plays in to being able to work with someone that your views do not line up with. I know that for me, it is really important to think about that before just imagining that they have seen and lived through the exact same things that I have.

• Harrison Higdon

Both senators Pae and Cruz did a fantastic job guest speaking on Tuesday. I was able to obtain a lot of great advice on how to approach college and the different ways to handle adversity. I felt the advice they gave on working with others of different view points was very helpful. In the world we live in, involving politics and personal beliefs, it’s important to be mindful and courteous of others ideals when working in a group. Everyone has different view points on the world, but if you are able to look at someone’s personality and character before you make quick judgments. You’ll find out that end of the day, were all human, trying to do the best we can. Reaching out to someone and understanding more about their background is a good way to make group work with differing views more enjoyable. Hearing about where people are from or what there favorite hobbies are helps you build chemistry and will give you better understanding of your peers. Having this information about your peers will make the difficult days easier.

• Marcus Evans

There are many ways to effectively work in a group with contrasting ideas and opinions. I think the best way to do so is to listen to each individuals side and try to get everyone to compromise. Compromise will help make each person feel like they are getting a piece of what they want out of the group. Without compromise, many people might be unhappy if their idea gets unheard or if they don’t feel listened to. Being open to new ideas is another way a leader can make a difference in a group where there is contacting ideas.

• Jessica Jones

Both representative Pae and Cruz did a wonderful job of explaining how to work with those that you may disagree with, and why that experience is of value. Their recommendations were that one should “talk to the person, not the position”, be “humble… authentic, trustworthy, and friendly”, and maintain an “intellectual curiosity” in that there is always room for growth. I believe that these three pieces of advise sum up diverse engagement perfectly, and can be effectively applied to my own leadership. For instance, the first thing I recognize upon meeting someone, before even considering their position, is what skills or abilities they possess, especially those in which I am lacking; I can then allow myself to create an objective respect for this person which is completely detached from their opinions and even my own biased judgements. I believe that most individuals have some quality which is worthy of our respect, and while this can, at times, require a great amount of humility, once you respect someone you can treat them as an equal and even learn from them. This is the basis for human interaction and ultimately, for team work, and in my experience it has led not only to this kind of intellectual curiosity but also to effective partnerships and beneficial results.

• Lani Hensley

As a leader working in an environment in which ideas and perspectives differ from other’s there needs to be a willingness to listen, be open-minded, and be respectful. I believe those are the three fundamental ways to persevere and flourish in any environment. There will always be people that you will face with a differing view. That is when you open your mind and have the willingness to listen and learn about their opinion. Continue to be a life-long learner and expand your knowledge on both sides of the said argument/topic. In any event that you disagree with a fellow employee or classmate there needs to be a fine line of respect. Respect can take anyone a long way in life. As a leader, I plan to abide by those three basic means, because they have worked effectively for me when dealing with people with differing ideas and perspectives.

• James Brison

To work effectively in a group with differing opinions, it is best to focus on not immediately ignoring others ideas because you do not agree. It is okay to disagree with someone, but by not listening others opinions and ideas, you are both cancelling the possibility of collaboration and possibly ignoring a great idea. Listen to what others have to say, and even if you do not agree with a single word of it, allow them to put their thoughts out there. Doing this will allow those in the group to feel as though they can express all their thoughts and ideas, rather than hold anything back. Lastly, if you do not agree with someone’s ideas and perspectives, try to dig deep and find parts that you do like and do agree with. This will allow for better collaboration amongst the team, and make others feel good because you mention what you do like about their input. Using others ideas and appreciating their input will make them feel more like they are a good addition to the group, which in turn will make the group or organization work well together and run smoothly.

• Emma Cunningham

It’s important to prime yourself for disagreement. I think one of the best ways to understand differing opinions is to regularly hold your own beliefs under the microscope. It is rare that someone can empathize with others beliefs if their worldview has never been challenged. One should accept that they won’t have everything right, and therefore others could have the key to the problem you’re attempting to solve. Another way you can keep an open mind would be to not place yourself in an echo chamber. It’s beneficial to have peers that have differing opinions. It does not have to be someone who has substantially different foundational morals. This is to expose yourself to how others think.

• Alexander Rackley

I think first, to start about with this question, i would like to talk about my reservations about working with someone with different beliefs as me. Now, don’t get me wrong, if the person i’m working with say, doesn’t like star wars or enjoys anchovies on his pizza or hates the color pink, i can work with that. Disagreeing on something minute and insignificant is fine by me, that’s how you can have really interesting discoveries about life. But when your beliefs put other people’s lives in danger, or completely dehumanize a person simply by virtue of existing, i will not work with them if i have any say in the matter. I do not want the success of a bigot to be assisted in any way by anything i create. However, if i have no possible way of getting away from a scenario, i suppose i would follow the advice of Representative Cruz, about stripping away the other person’s values away, and just breaking it down to two humans having a conversation about something. But, again, i would really like to avoid associating with hateful people whenever and wherever possible.

• Kaylee Bjorkley

In a group or community where people will have different ideas or perspectives that differ from my own, I can work as a leader effectively by simply just listening. I will hear my people out and work off there ideas. By simply listening to what my peers have to say it will give them a stage to produce their ideas without automatically dismissing them. It’s okay to stand your ground and your ideas, but including what your group has to say and bouncing your ideas back and forth can often times make for the perfect plan. Therefore you all feel like you played a part in the plan and can walk away from the discussion knowing you all were evolved. I have worked with many types of leaders, there are the dominant “do this” type, or the inclusive “what do you think” type, and by seeing so the inclusive type is liked a lot more than the dominant. Seeing this throughout the years I have learned that the inclusive type is easier to work with and so that is who I try to be. You can’t surround yourself with people who will always agree with you, which is what Rep. Cruz had said, and I thought that he was 100% right. If you always agree with everyone’s ideas, or you work with people who are always on your side or know who will side with you than you are not able to fully expanding the capabilities of your groups ideas. Everyone thinks differently and that is so unique. So to wrap up my answer, once again, I will listen, look at everyone’s ideas, and really work with everyone to make sure that their ideas are seen and that mine are as well.

• Hana Abdelhadi

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when disagreeing with someone is to be respectful. Always talk to others how you would like to be talked to, this increases the chances of them actually listening and retaining what you say. As Representative Pae said, “be curious not judgemental”. In my opinion, this means that it is okay to question something that you do not agree with, but it is not okay to belittle someone for how they view a certain issue. Representative Cruz advised getting to know the person on a personal level. Establishing trust with someone can open a lot of doors and even if you do not agree on many things, at least you can agree to disagree. Both speakers mentioned that being humble and transparent has helped them navigate many conflicts. I think that being transparent and communicating is key! It is never a bad idea to respectfully and clearly communicate one’s grievances. To sum it up, there are many ways to respond to an idea or perspective that you disagree with, but the right way to respond will always be with respect and humility. After all, no one truly knows everything.

• Claire Hardin

As a leader, I can effectively work with opposing ideas in my community by practicing empathetic listening and using compromise to solve issues.

It is in my own belief system to treat all individuals with dignity and respect. Therefore, I can implement these values within my community by attentively listening to those I work with and keeping an open heart. This would allow me to approach a compromise between different ideas. In a leadership position, I can incorporate aspects of many different ideas to formulate a more inclusive plan of action.

I believe in standing up for your own beliefs, but I also know that empathetic listening is crucial for the advancement of a democratic society.

• Jessica Caballero

According to the speakers, the main idea is to get out there and meet and talk to as many people as we can. Leaders should know who they are representing. That includes people of a different opinion. We as leaders shouldn’t close ourselves of from different opinionated people. We should also stand up for our values and integrity. It is important to be self aware and know what we, ourselves represent and bring to the table. It is important to know that other people have different ways of thinking but if the methods to get to the same resolution are used then we are still able to come to an agreeable resolution. The problem with leadership is that some people disagree with the fundamentals of what we as leaders want to do. It can be frustrating but knowing yourself is very important to getting the work done. It is also important to know that as leaders we will never be able to make everyone happy. Working closely with the people you represent will be the main way to deal with counter perspectives.

• Isidro Fonseca

It can be difficult to work effectively with people who have a different view point towards certain issues and it’s impressive how successful Pae and Cruz have been through their careers. As a leader, one should have its own ideologies but also have an open mind which will allow you to consider the perspectives/viewpoints of other individuals. I believe this would be key in order to work effectively with people in the community and will also show that you have respect towards different viewpoints. If one disagrees with other person’s viewpoint it’s important to not argue, instead discuss the issue with accurate information to reach common ground. I also believe that building relations with those who share different ideas from you could be beneficial. Finally, being honest and being willing to learn from others can ultimately help one be a better leader in the community even if some individuals have different ideals.

• Isabel J Baker

People use their individuality everyday to showcase their strengths and sometimes weaknesses. When in a leadership position, it is important to understand that not everyone is going to have the same ideas and perspectives. My tactic usually comes from copious amounts of compromise. By implementing ideas that are created by taking a piece from each person’s idea, everyone is satisfied. However, arguments can occur within a group. I have always seen that when there is conflict within a group, one of the best things to do is address the whole group about the issue. Sometimes too much meddling can be a bad thing. Letting people figure out on their own why they are upset can cause less tension later on.

• Both Representative Pae and Cruz spoke about their background serving with others with opposing beliefs, with both drawing upon different examples. In Representative Cruz’s example, Cruz talked more about being a Democrat in a predominantly Republican legislator. He said that he is a member of the minority of Democrats on the floor, and this starts to conflict when attempting to pass proposals with support from both sides. He discovered that he had to discuss and manage a bill out with the other side to get approval. That in itself taught me a lot about teamwork. Even speaking with him one-on-one, he told me that he has to make trade-offs somewhere, but you have to work with the others around you and put aside personal beliefs or goals for the good of whom you are serving and representing. He showed me that you can not be selfish and have to look at the greater good, even if that means you sacrifice a little from your plan.
    Representative Pae answered the question by bringing up how he was scrutinized by his district for voting opposite party views. To Pae, the vote was the right choice in his mind, and had a purpose to why he voted against what the people wanted. He mentioned that he had to go back to Lawton to justify why voting how he did, and in doing so, many understood Pae’s choice. In any position, you will not have the same ideas or views as someone with a diverse background. It is up to you to stand by your action or idea and explain why you think it’s right, and educate and inform the others around you about it. You do not have to force a decision on people, but you can help them understand why you feel a certain way, which leads to effective group work and cooperation.

• Miranda McLean

When we all come from different place, and when we all have have different backgrounds, it’s guaranteed that we will have different ideas and perspectives. Sometimes, it’s difficult to look past these differences to work together as one, but after hearing from Representatives Pae and Cruz, I understand that it is possible.

Representative Pae mentioned something that really stuck out to me. He said, “don’t lean left, don’t lean right, find the center.” One way that I see this is that we find ourselves arguing over what’s right and wrong, and if we keep leaning too far, we are guaranteed to fall off on one side. Instead, we should find the center to maintain a reasonable balance where both sides are equally happy. We don’t have to forget our differences to do so, but we just have to put together these difference to find what they have in common.

Representative Cruz talked about his experience with exploring multiple careers, and finding himself unhappy with jobs until he finally found the career that suited him best. I believe that this is important for all future leaders because sometimes we find ourselves disappointed if what we expect to happens doesn’t work out like we had hoped. While it sounds cliché to say “never give up,” it is still something that truly applies to real life. If we give up or continue to do something that makes us unhappy, we can not succeed as leaders. He made a point to say to always be willing to learn and to show up to things. Even during despair, we should put ourselves out there and meet others, and if we proceed to be afraid to step out of our comfort zone, we will never know what we could be missing out on.

While the representatives have different perspectives and backgrounds, both Pae and Cruz were able to agree that as leaders, we must have empathy, humility, be authentic and genuine, and be vulnerable. Because of modern media, we rarely get to see two opposing sides come together and work as one. I’m grateful to have been able to have a first-hand experience of two leaders who want to work together and are able to accomplish that by not pushing aside their differences, but instead working to find common ground.

• Jackson Lehew

One of the hardest things ti do in any leadership position is to have everyone agree on something. Representative Pae and Cruz are some of the younger workers in their field. They have lots of new ideas that are more oriented to the younger generations. Other Representatives are more likely to have traditional ideas and beliefs because that is how it what when they were younger. The key factor to engage with others that do not share your ideas is to hear the opinions of others and find a common goal. Once you come to the consensus on what would be best for the people around you, it will help your leadership role in the long run.

• Jessica Lopez

As a leader, one of the most important qualities to have is open mindedness. Being open minded means being open to different ideas and opinions, whether you agree with them or not. An important point both Representatives Pae and Cruz made was to make yourself useful and be willing to learn. Learning initiates growth in ones self and makes an excellent leader.

• Tanner Trevino

I think as a leader you have to be capable of removing bias and personal emotions in an attempt to think within their shoes. This does not mean forget your morals and allow them to do mischievous things but to allow yourself to think differently than you normally do, and will allow you to see different angles of the same story. I also believe you have to be able to emotionally connect to to those with different ideas and perspectives as you can potentially learn from them while also changing their minds if its not something you completely agree with. Always hear everyone out before coming to a final assessment as knowledge is always there to be heard. I think what Representatives Pae and Cruz both said in regards to seeing everyone as humans regardless of what their views are on things is something everyone (not just leaders) should incorporate into their everyday life. Simply listen to others and be kind.

• Cheyanne Young

No matter where you go in life, there is always going to be someone who thinks differently from you. Representatives Pae and Cruz both made some valid points about working with people who don’t share the same ideas or values as you. I recall Cruz saying how sometimes you have to separate the person and the idea the person has. As a leader, I am going to have to look beyond the person and at the idea the person has individually. Being able to separate the two allows for better communication and a better work environment.

• Kathryn Plunkett

The first step of working effectively with a group that has different ideas or perspectives from me is to take a few steps in their shoes. As a leader, I will begin by understanding the reasons behind why they may have a different idea than me. Different opinions can be formed from so many different things, such as how one was raised or from certain struggles they have endured in their life. If I give my attention to their reasoning behind their opinions and truly try to see where the group is coming from, in return I will be showing the group my respect for them and their beliefs. Having respect across the board in a team will help tasks and jobs run smoothly as a whole.

It is very important to me to stay true to what I believe in and what I stand for, but that does not mean that I am always “right”. A true leader will genuinely take every opinion into consideration. Listening to different perspectives can open my eyes to things I may have never thought of before.

• Tori Hoffman

Being a leader to a group of people can be difficult, but it can be even more difficult working with others that don’t agree with you. Representative Pae and Cruz mentioned people have the tendency to think that they know everything, but that is not the case. We as a people are constantly learning and navigating a new way of life due to the increase of advancements in technology and the constant discovery of the old way of life. One of the biggest divisions when looking at our community is between political parties, but that doesn’t mean one side is wrong or right.

When working with groups of people, it is important to know that everyone has different beliefs, perspectives, and values. Knowing these differences, you must be able to take a step back and still work for the greater good. If problems do arise, be willing to step in and engage. Understand where everyone is coming from and understand that we are all different.

• Roy Angele Kubwimana

Two things that I learned from Representative Cruz were to respect everyone’s thought and to maintain your values and morals. It helped me to recognize that people are born differently. But diversity is not a tool to separate us instead we can use that to build each that. Also as a leader, I know that not everyone is going to accept my ideas but I need to always think what will benefit the society.

• Olivia Shults

As a leader is it important to respect those that you are working with, especially when the opinions of those you are working with differ from your own. When working with a team it can be very difficult to agree on every aspect of a project but it is important to work together. While some opinions may differ from yours it is important to understand why someone has a certain opinion, by asking questions, before you judge them for their opinion. To work effectively there has to be a level of respect for eachother, even through disagreements. It is also important to find compromise, when working with someone you don’t agree with it can be hard to find a common ground but doing so will help keep a balance when working together. You must always be willing to learn and understand the beliefs of others, without this willingness you won’t even be able to begin to find a compromise.

• Jayden Batcheller

Working with others who do not share the same ideas and perspectives is very hard but very doable. In my experience, it is easiest to work with others in this situation if you all act maturely. Yes, we have different views, so what? That is your opinion, and it does not affect my life and vice versa. However, it is not always that simple. Most of the time, it seems others do not want to be mature. Being the bigger person has worked for me too. I have had others get upset when we disagree and react negatively towards me because of the disagreements. If it is that important to make it known, then yes, speak up, but people do not have to be rude to understand they disagree. I try to understand that naturally when things do not go our way, we get upset; typically, people react with an onset change in emotions due to the disagreement. Understanding biologically why people do not like to have conflicts makes it easier not to be upset when I disagree with others.

• Jentri Jordan

As a leader it is important to understand that everybody has their own opinions. It is important to value other opinions especially when they differ from your own. Everybody has their own unique set of beliefs, and sometimes working with a group of people who don’t share the same beliefs can be challenging. People with different opinions can help you see different viewpoints of a certain topic or situation. When a group of people are faced with an obstacle and they all have the same it offers limited approaches, but when everybody has different opinions it can be an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Being a leader you must learn how to hear all of the opinions and find a way to compromise. When a person feels very strongly about their opinion, it doesn’t do any good in the situation to tell them you think their opinion is wrong. Instead of shutting down another person’s opinion, a leader should take the time to try and understand their perspective of the matter. In listening to their opinions you can grow in your own opinions. Hearing other viewpoints can make your own opinions more diverse

• Amaya Coleman

I can effectively with them by learning how to compromise. Everyone should have representative and see their ideas being used. Everyone is going to have different views and beliefs but that doesn’t mean that they don’t deserve to have a voice. So by learning to compromise I can make everyone’s voice heard.

• Casey Merrill

Working with others that think differently is something everyone will or has done before and it will probably happen again. I think respecting others is the most important thing because they are less likely to listen to what you have to say if you have already left a bad impression. Actively listen to others sharing their ideas and they might do the same back. sound sure of your ideas. Sometimes compromise has to happen and change can be slow.

• David Harlin

In positions of leadership in places like politics, it is important to take into account all viewpoints while shaping your own point of view. Politicians will very often feel very strongly about his or her point of view, that sort of mindset is what likely got them into politics. The issue with this mindset is that no progress can be made sometime without slight compromise. It is important to reach across the isle, and try to find a compromise that can suit both sides enough to where progress can be made. It is also important to listen to opposing viewpoints even if your mind will not be changed, so that you appear empathetic.

• If the perspective in question does not pertain to that particular project, I would probably accept the differences and move along with the project.

If the perspective or idea is pertinent to the project,
    I might have a civil discussion where we share our views, but if it is an ultimate disagreement, I feel that I should still focus on the service at hand rather than the views of the people we’re serving or who we’re serving with.

You won’t always agree with everyone on your team, but it’s still important to get the work done and do it well.

• Katherine Ryerson

When working with a group of people, a difference of opinion is inevitable. Everyone has different thoughts, ideas, beliefs, and morals. This explains why having the same perspective between two people is very unlikely to happen. As a leader, it is extremely important to maintain a good relationship with the person who has an opposing view. One way both Representative Pae and Cruz suggested to handle this situation was to first try to understand the other person. Set aside the differences, and get to know each other as people. Sometimes, more information about background, religion, or experiences can help one understand why someone has a different idea. Communication is the most important factor in effective work among people. Keeping an open mind and staying respectful are two other key factors to good communication that the representatives brought up. I would use these key skills to help understand or relate to the differing opinion. It is important to remember, it is okay to disagree. How I handle the disagreement will determine whether I will work effectively or ineffectively with others.

• Meralyn Staudt

I believe that one of the most important aspects of leadership is being able to utilize the strengths of a diverse set of people. Learning to understand and appreciate the differences of individuals can create teams that have a wide variety of talents and skills! When trying to work more effectively in a group setting, the focus should be on improving existing skills and growing into a more polished and defined version of yourself. Working with people who have different perspectives or opinions than you can cause frustration, but having compassion always helps. Personal opinions are based on so many factors, a lot of which are determined by environment and adult influences, which is why it is important to put into context someone’s situation before judging them.

• HARPER PITTS

Keeping an honest and healthy communication with others weather or not they share the same views as you is definitely a given just in any scenario, however it’s most important to keep open and honest communication when sharing views across the isle is the main goal. Keeping an open mind to possible constrictive criticism from that differing opinion’s perspective is incredibly detrimental just to personal growth, which is an attribute I think both Pae and Cruz share.

• As a leader, you have to understand where individuals are coming from especially when every individual experiences something different in their lifetime or possibly it could be their religion that makes them say this or another. So, it is important to accommodate people cultures and religions and take it into consideration. For example, being able to put yourself in their shoes and actually be the eye of the beholder. I liked how representative pae talked riding a bike with it being not too far right, not too far left. I interpreted it as a similar saying in the movie Shang chi where there is saying when you aim at nothing, you hit nothing. So if I have my eyes on gaining trust from people, I just need to be confident in myself and my abilities and express my vulnerability, of course not too much like representative Cruz said. When it comes to differing perspectives, I like looking at both sides and not judge people especially when it comes to first impression. I think that showing everyone that we all are equal will makes us effectively move forward because sometimes when you get too high up top, you may forget the group feelings. Of course, it will take effort, but in the end, trust is worth it. To sum it up, compassion to listen to the perspectives of others is one important quality of a leader.

• Kelsey Sanchez

I think it is important to respect others ideas and perspectives because it could come from their personal background but I can also disagree with respect. It takes a lot of maturity and leadership to not agree with someone in a respectful way. I believe it is possible to work in a community or group who does not share the same ideas and perspectives that I do. I would acknowledge that everyone is not going to agree with my idea or perspective because we all have our own opinions on topics. I would ask questions and understand why they don’t agree or have this different idea or perspective. I would do my best to come up with a solution by picking out the things we do agree on. As a leader I want the best option for my group or community and hearing from other people in the group or community will help me decide what is best. So as a leader I would involve my team members so they know their opinions matter and as a whole come up with a solution we agree on. My main point is involving my team and working together to come up with something we agree on. Not everyone is going to like my idea or perspective so it may be a challenge working with people whose opinions differ from mine but it is my job as a leader to do what is best for my group or community. I have to accept that I will not satisfy everyone and just believe in my ideas and perspectives and lead with that. I would provide evidence and background on why I stand on my ideas but at some point I no longer have control on if others support me. I have to accept not everyone will agree.

• Jazlyn Yarbrough

As a leader you should be a person who is open minded to all ideas. representative Cruz brought forth the idea of bipartisanship. In order for him as a minority leader to gain interest from the majority he got to know the leaders in the majority personally.
    With him explain that it makes me realize that being a personable person will allow you to work with any and everybody regardless of where your background is regardless of what your ideologies are you will eventually agree with someone who has total different views than you.

• Ricky Harris

I will honestly say that working with other who do not share the same ideas or perspectives as you can be challenging, but can also be helpful in so many ways. As a leader you can gain some of the most beneficial experiences one can have as a leader. Communicating effectively with others with different perspectives is how we move forward as a society. Yes we may not always agree with each other, but it comes respectively hearing the opposite of every argument that we can be able to find compromise and accomplish truly meaningful work.

• Adrian Smith

It’s never truly simple to be able to cooperate with people so different from you. That is especially true in this recent decade were the differences that make people are more evident, however by taking the time to respect and learn about those differences one can make a team communicate more smoothly. While you don’t necessarily need to agree with someone’s opinion it makes things easier if you respect what makes them different.

• Jimmy Davison

I can work effectively as a leader with people whos ideas differ from my own by acknowledging that what we do is what truly matters, not how others think or what they believe.

• Alexis Aguinaga

I personally loved getting to hear from young legislatures and to hear how they got to where they are now. I relate to both of them in many ways as a 23 year old aspiring to go to law school and as a national guardsmen who actually drills out of Fort Sill in Lawton Oklahoma. I loved all the advice given and one that stuck with me was actually when Cruz had said that it’s okay to leave when something is no longer serving you. He left respectfully and did not burn bridges but simply moved on to things that were better for him personally. That is a lesson I have learned that if something is no longer serving you that’s it okay to move on to do it respectfully. His old boss is know a two hundred and fifty dollar contributor monthly and that’s awesome. I am wanting to run for my own office one day and to hear from to young adults who are in actually writing and sending bills up is so awesome.

• Kelsey Sanchez

think it is important to respect others ideas and perspectives because it could come from their personal background but I can also disagree with respect. It takes a lot of maturity and leadership to not agree with someone in a respectful way. I believe it is possible to work in a community or group who does not share the same ideas and perspectives that I do. I would acknowledge that everyone is not going to agree with my idea or perspective because we all have our own opinions on topics. I would ask questions and understand why they don’t agree or have this different idea or perspective. I would do my best to come up with a solution by picking out the things we do agree on. As a leader I want the best option for my group or community and hearing from other people in the group or community will help me decide what is best. So as a leader I would involve my team members so they know their opinions matter and as a whole come up with a solution we agree on. My main point is involving my team and working together to come up with something we agree on. Not everyone is going to like my idea or perspective so it may be a challenge working with people whose opinions differ from mine but it is my job as a leader to do what is best for my group or community. I have to accept that I will not satisfy everyone and just believe in my ideas and perspectives and lead with that. I would provide evidence and background on why I stand on my ideas but at some point I no longer have control on if others support me. I have to accept not everyone will agree.

• Gaby Ramirez

When you have various individuals coming together in an organization to work through obstacles together, you’re bound to have different opinions when discussing solutions. Every individual has a different thought processes, and a good leader will recognize common grounds to please the majority. A leader should be open minded, you have to let go of the need to be right, and rather listen to all sides. Utilizing the differences between individuals ideas can help solve problems faster, because problems are solved faster when more than one mind is working on it. Someone in a leadership should encourage everyone to communicate through their conflict. A good reminder when going through conflicts with others is to remember common goals.

• mariam Ourani

I feel like learning how to work with those you disagree with plays a major role in maturing and just overall character development. I have been in leadership positions where I have to work with certain individuals I may not agree with. However, i’ve had to push through and understand that leadership opportunities are given to the select few who are able to put their pride and feelings to the side and look at the obstacle through a different lens. The only way to excel at your job is to work with everyone, not only your supporters and you’d be surprised at how far it can take you.

• Chance Palmer

I really enjoyed getting to hear from both representatives and I was very pleased to see that compromise and working across the aisle was still some what in fashion. It seems like now a days, everyone is at each other’s throats and nothing is being done. Over the course of this last 4 to 5 years and really even before that, it seemed as though we have become more and more divided by the day. As I have watched and listened to the people run our country, I have been disappointed to see people prioritize partisanship over nonpartisanship. This has lead me to really value the idea of compromise. I will admit that I have a very Independent set of views which consist of both Liberal and Conservative views. I am actually thankful at the fact that I have these views. They have helped me to be sympathetic to both sides of the aisle and they have helped me to try and understand where my ideas are flawed and where they are solid. I have become very good at listening to both sides and figuring out how to please both sides as much as possible without straying from the original plan. I am a very big believer in the idea that just because you have your own set of views doesn’t mean that others are invalid. We have so much to learn from each other and so many things that we can work on together to strengthen our relationships with each other. We need to stop associating people who disagree with us as enemy’s or stupid.
    We are all just trying to figure out life and we are all just trying to be happy with ourselves at the end of the day.