Lessons in Leadership Week 14-President Neuhold-Ravikumar

During her presentation, President Neuhold-Ravikumar discussed three main themes of people, place, and possibilities to consider as guiding principles in leadership. While delving into these points she discussed the notion of always asking “what else can I do?” when you think a project is finished. What else could you be doing in different areas of your leadership journey to aid the people an places you are passionate about?

• Maddy Kang

I think there are many areas in my leadership journey where I could be doing more. One area that holds a close spot to my heart, though, is the people in my life. President Neuhold-Ravikumar’s point that people are willing to take chances on me, and that I should do the same for them (because we never know what our relationships with others could mean in the future) really stuck out to me. I think if I really looked at all of my relationships equally and as opportunities to better myself and them, I would really be opening myself up to lots of possibilities. I also think that when it comes to places, the way that I leave a place speaks measures as a leader. Did I leave a lasting impression, a positive one, or did I not do enough? I think I could always be more cognizant of how I left a person or group of people feeling after meetings and interactions. Finally, I am always wanting to do more, but sometimes I need to do less. And to do that takes patience; to best aid the people and places I am passionate about, I have to know when it is time to step back and take care of me.

• Madilyn Rhynes

I first want to say that I really enjoyed President Neuhold-Ravikumar’s speech. She models such an elegant and classy poise. I also think she is an amazing speaker. I took several things away from President Neuhold-Ravikumar’s speech. She reminded me to never settle for less than you deserve. You shouldn’t have to question is this all there is for me in life. People, places, and possibilities will take you far. Some main takeaways from her speech are to never say no, show your resilience. When I think a project is finished, I should reevaluate because there is always room for improvement. When you are finished with a project, move on to what’s next to where you can fully lead and share your valuable gifts and traits. I also need to remember to take risks or chances with others, as well as myself. President Neuhold-Ravikumar also said to embrace service and serving because that allows for growth. President Neuhold-Ravikumar also reminded the class to live in the moment and work your hardest in all that you do. She shared a quote that said that living in the past can cause depression, living in the future allows you to be anxious, but living in the now lets you be content. I need to be content and honored in my now, to be serving and leading at the University of Central Oklahoma. I can lead in my classes, and in my organizations. How I work and lead now will better my leadership skills and readiness for my future plans.

• Cole Ranck

What else could you be doing in different areas of your leadership journey to aid the people an places you are passionate about?

Right now this is a very difficult question to answer personally. Most of my concerns and values were associated with a high school experience which is obviously no more. Currently, because of this, I am reevaluating a significant amount of what I thought was important and trying to find where I want to focus my energy. I will say this on the topic of what else I could be doing though. Often I try to find a niche and dive deep into being great at a few things, but this has made it difficult to be able to adjust to change, so actually looking for different areas to grow in could help me in all areas.

• Thad Williams

One of my major flaws as a leader is the failure to reach out to others when I am not constantly around them. As a leader it is important for others to know that you genuinely care about them. I obviously do care about everyone that I work with, however, sometimes that gets lost in translation when I fail to reach out to them and show this. In looking to grow in my leadership, I believe it is these genuine relationships and constant reassurance on my part that will help me be a better leader. A leader can not accomplish anything without a team around them, and a team who shows that they care about one another in all times.

• Paighton Barnes

President Neuhold-Ravikumar discussed ways that she was always doing more whether that be as the President of UCO itself or a low level job. I have been trying to implement this more and more within the clubs I am in, especially Esports at UCO. I have been trying to do more within the organization and I have definitely took this advice to heart over the past few days. I have not been the most involved with the entirety of the club, rather only being involved with my team. I have started to reach out and offer assistance to officers and play games with them in my free time. Many of the officers in the club now know me and spend time with me as a result. Another place that I want to aid in more is at the Women’s Research Center. I have yet to get involved due to the amount of work I assumed I would have this semester, but I really want to be a Sexual Health Ambassador.

• caralyne conley

I loved listening to our President speak. She had such a calm, yet confident presence while speaking. I loved how she talked about always growing in a project, that it can always improve. With her refreshing this in my mind it reminded me of how I can be putting more effort and opinions into my workplace. I have only worked there for 3 months. So I don’t really consider my opinion to be that valuable, but I have a lot of thoughts of how to improve the place that I have just kept in. At the next meeting I will be sharing those opinions and hopefully improving the place.

• Beyonce Hammond

A pattern I have noticed in my leadership is that I am always looking for the next thing. I like to blame it on being a number 3 on the enneagram test. Nonetheless, that is a question I am very familiar with. I think what I need to be doing in the next step of my leadership journey is slowing down and enjoying every little accomplishment I achieve. Enjoying every event that I am able to put on without the pandemic invading my plans. Taking a step back and looking at what I could have done better and what I believe I will need to do in my journey to increase the likely hood of influencing others in a positive notion. I think as leaders it is very easy to only pay attention to the future but, this year I learned that we should also be looking at the past and present.

• Tori Bates

Being a leader is not always being the president or director of your club, but rather an attitude and work ethic. A leader is someone that does their best, works their hardest, and sets a good example for others. One of the toughest parts of being a leader is knowing that there is always more that can be done, especially when you are willing to be helping others. The hardest part about this for me is finding time to not only finish my work but to go above and beyond to do more than I am initially asked to do. The best way for me to help the people involved in my leadership journey is to finish my assigned tasks ahead of time. That way I am available and ready to help with any other tasks that may need my attention. I will be doing this over the break by working on my Big Pink tasks starting as soon as I finish my last final on December 9th. By starting these tasks early I hope to be able to finish them early on in the break and take on additional tasks that will allow me to help out other members of the board. I will also be starting on my new positions as junior Panhellenic delegate and recording secretary for Alpha Xi Delta by talking to the outgoing officers to prepare myself for the tasks I will start in January. This will help me by allowing myself to get a head start and feel prepared come January.

• Mariana Gonzalez

During a big project, there is usually a lot of growth along the way. This is especially if it is one that pushes you to learn new things and creates new connections or anything that is outside of your comfort zone. To help others along the way, you can also introduce them to new skills or maybe some that you already have and share them with others. Once a project is seen as completed, there are always more things to do as far as improvements in other areas. Imputing your ideas where they are needed and also helping execute those ideas in areas that you are passionate about will help grow both you and whatever or whoever you are helping.

• Mackenzie Goings

One principle that I need to work on is to be able to say yes to things that may be beyond my comfort zone. I have always been taught to be able so say no but I feel like I have taken that too far in the wrong direction. Though it is important to know your limits, I also want to be able to push myself to experience things that I would not normally experience. This will allow me to be able to aid the people and places in areas that I am passionate about. I enjoyed Patti Neuhold- Ravikumar’s presentation because I love listening to advice from those who have experienced great success. I am excited for the opportunity to be able to live out her advice and to see where it takes me in life.

• Brandy Bohanan

What I could do in different areas of my leadership journey to aid other individuals and places I’m passionate about is having a positive attitude at work. If I walk into work with a positive attitude it can show others that I am having a good day and I could change their mood into a positive one as well. Having a good positive work environment. I could also work on my mental health and my friends, by having days were we talk or go out for walks an exercise. Doing so can cause our mental health to be better and helping us to feel better. We all need our body and health in good shape to be able to lead. If we can’t take care of ourselves how could we help others?

• Taleaha Lee

As I reflect on my leadership roles, the organizations I’m in, and just myself as a whole person. I realize that leadership does not just reflect in my roles but also in my everyday life. When it comes to my family, I could be reaching out more often and bringing them into rooms they aren’t normally brought in. I can be helping mold my little cousins and show them the right way to go. When it comes to my leadership roles, I can take action and help other officers with their positions. I can overall build on my own leadership skills by focusing on my weaknesses and molding them into strengths. I can overall be a better version of myself each day. Be positive and show kindness to myself so that I can show it to others.

• Jasmine Coopee

This question is the one I really had to think about. Some ways I could aid the people or places i am passionate about could be job shadowing. By doing this you can get an in person experience about what the organization is about and when you tell people about it, you will have a first hand experience to talk about. Another way would be asking how you can help. Everyone need something whether it’ll be getting coffee or running errands the organization is to busy to do. There will always be ways to aid others, all you have to do is ask.

• Cooper McCoy

I believe it is simple. You need to do your best. Doing your best involves many different things. It involves putting other people’s needs in front of your own. Caring about people takes true love. Making things better in communities takes a group effort. People need to unite to accomplish great things. Being a leader people need to work on unifying others. To be a great leader I need to unite others.

• Perla Tovar

President Neuhold-Ravikumar presentation actually gave me chills. It was excellent. Her speech was a great way to end in-person classes for the semester. As leaders we’re suppose to look at things in a perspective of how else can I benefit someone else? we’re called to be self-less. My favorite point President Patti made was “who are you going to take chances on?” Because that can go a long way. Her testimony is a perfect example of it. Last but not least, As a women, she’s such an inspiration for becoming UCO’s first female president in its 130-year history. President Neuhold-Ravikumar gave me a new love for our university and I’m proud to have a President like her.

• I would say embracing challenges, creating a safe space to be vulnerable, and having the freedom to exude individuality. I want whoever or wherever I lead to be genuine and meaningful. I want to make an impact. To me it doesn’t matter how many or how big, just as long as what I do makes a difference in some way. I am here to be a light and that’s exactly what I plan to do. I love to help and guide those who are willing to accept everything that I have to offer.

• Savana McCabe

President Neuhold-Ravikumar presented many interesting points on the idea of doing more even after you think you have finished a project. Something that really stuck with me was she said to ask yourself if you were your “best self in that moment.” Something I can do to be figuring out what more I can do is reflect on my interactions with others when I am in a leadership position and ask myself if I am being my best self. Something else I could be doing to aid the people and places around me is take chances on people; this was a point that President Neuhold-Ravikumar brought up. She said that she is in the place she is in today because, time after time, people took chances on her, and those chances opened up opportunities for her. Sometimes I, and I would argue even leaders in general, want to build a team of the best of the best. When this is the focus, sometimes we cut people out that we think maybe aren’t fit for our “best of the best” team. To do more in my leadership, I can take chances on people and be open to their talents that they might surprise me with.

• Angelina Newton

I think in my personal leadership journey there are plenty of other things I could be doing. For example, I could be doing more to communicate empathy. Empathy is something I tend to shy away from, but something I’m working on to understand others better. Another thing I could be doing is searching for more places in which I can support my community. I usually just so happen to come across opportunities to help with rather than going out and finding them myself. Therefore, if I want to help people and places that I am passionate about, I can do more by being willing to go out and find them.

• taylor schuff

There is always something that needs to be done. I am very passionate about helping others and my goal is to become an Occupational Therapist. Throughout my time in college, I plan to shadow an Occupational Therapist. By doing this I will be able to help others with their fine motor skills and learn things that will help me be better in the future. Right now, I volunteer at my church and teach the younger kids about God. I want to take it to the next level and start helping junior high and high school kids grow in their faith. It makes me really happy when I can help others in anyway I can.

• Kyia Woodson

I frequently ask myself the question what more could I be doing? Whether that be in terms of my leadership style or simply daily life. I feel as though that question keeps us from being static in both our relationships and in daily tasks. Recently when I ask myself this question in terms of my leadership, I find myself always talking about deep personal relationships. I think my leadership could use more personal relationships with other and I truly believe that I should spend more time diving into closer relationships with those arounds me/close to me. I believe close relationships to be very important to anyone in a leadership role because it is very crucial to know the people which you are trying to help/lead. Another aspect of my leadership that I could do more in is in terms of my service. I find that it is very hard to make time for service when you are doing so many other things just as important.

• makayla freeman

I believe something you can always be doing in your leadership journey to aid people is keeping connections. Building strong connections aid you in so many ways. First, building connections can eventually lead to friendships down the road. You never know when the person you meet working on a project could end up being an amazing friend and supporter in your life. Second, building connections well it gives you connections. Those connections can help aid you, people you know, and sometimes even places. Sometimes life truly is about who you know.

• I think it is very important to always be doing the most you can to fulfill your dreams. I could incorporate my love for art and creating into my leadership. I think it would be beneficial for me to incorporate those things into what I do because it is what I am passionate about. I want to figure out a way to take my artistic talents and help others.

• Bellanca Bradley

In my areas of leadership, I have the means and the energy to be taking on more responsibility. Most of the time, this can be difficult. In my experience, my bosses have taken the maximum amount of time to get things done and rarely push through to the next task that needs to be done. In other cases, they already have too many people under them to be able to keep finding tasks for people to do without having to start a whole new project. There have been many times where I have asked my bosses “What else can I do?” and they have nothing else for me to do, or they are content with their teams doing the bare minimum. I need to start taking more initiave when taking on new projects and learn how to work ahead towards the next objective, or task.

• McKenzie Bookout

President Neuhold-Ravikumar talked about going the extra mile. I believe that I can “go the extra mile” in my leadership by expanding who I communicate with. Being sort of an introvert, at times it can be hard for me to talk to others that I do not know and build new relationships with them. By being able to do this, I will get more accomplished. When I am passionate about something, I always want to give my best effort, and by improving my communication it can help me be a better leader and to accomplish more than I ever have originally thought.

• Lavender Cisneros

When being a leader, we have endless amounts of opportunities to help hundreds of people and even just a single person. It could be anything, from helping the elderly with groceries, volunteering for an organization, and like Patti leading a whole school community on a path for success. Sometimes we get stuck though. We’re not quite sure how to take our leadership to the next level. When we finish a project or mission, what else can we do? We can follow up on the success of the project, maybe plan for more of the same projects in the future, and find ways to make our volunteer projects more efficient. We could also reach out to the community and allow for volunteers to allow for a success on a wider scale. And In the case that the project did not turn out as planned, we can rethink our approach, or find a more beneficial project. There are always ways to continue to aid people even after we think we’re done. All it takes is just a little extra effort, and that effort goes a long way.

• Kaitlin Johnson

First, I wish President Neuhold-Ravikumar could read these because it was so inspiring to hear her speak, and I know this is a very rare opportunity. I would personally work on prioritizing. I (shamefully) admit I don’t prioritize service. It’s not that I’m not self-centered, it’s just I’m so busy that I often forget. But service, whether it’s volunteer work or leadership opportunities, IS important. My goal for next semester is to make time to serve, not just hope that it happens.

• Kaylee Abernathy

Listening to President Neuhold-Ravikumar was very intresting. She talked alot over how she would look for that extra/beyond to do when it came to a task. I love that mindset, because not only did you finish the task, but you went above and beyond becoming very successful. Thinking about one aspect that I could go that extra step on in my leadership, it was pretty easy. When giving back to the community by giving Christmas gifts to children in need of them. I think one thing I could do to go above is keeping in touch with those children, and check on them often.

• Fatima Alconz

What else can I do?
    As an international student here at UCO I started feeling the weight in my heart to serve inernational students in campus and out campus. Recently, one of my friends from Korea went back to her country and I went to the airport to say goodbye. And when I went to the airport she was alone, nobody from here went to say goodbye to her and that was so sad. That moves my heart to not only be for them in campus and help them only in school but also to be for them in everything I can. Maybe going to the airport to say goodbye is not a big deal, but for her that meant too much. So, something else that I want to do is be for them as much as I can. Take time to ask them how they are feeling, if they feel homesick, or if they need something. The main point of this is I don’t want only serve them, I want to learn to truly love them. People is my passion, reach people and help them is something that fills my heart but what else can I do? I want to truly love them. So, I can start thinking on more things that I can start doing.

• Alexia Brown

When President Neuhold-Ravikumar spoke I was so inspired by the sheer drive and determination through life she shows. Challenges arise in life all of the time and while she did briefly touch on the ones she has experienced, she exalted the people, places, and possibilities that came with those tough times. She spoke about multiple people that impacted her, but I enjoyed when she focused on the concept of using people as an energy source and relying on others. I think as leaders we often forget that relying on others is a very important part of life and one that is resourceful if learned early on. I was impressed to know of her educational background and various experience in different types of jobs. The phrase, “Jack of all trades, master of none” comes to mind. I think that versatility in a leader is very important, it has a sense of humbleness attached to it. Obviously, the most moving part of the speech was to hear her talk about the possibilities that life has to offer. I was reminded to do whatever I wanted to achieve in life and to not be afraid when I was expected to get my hands dirty and work for it. She found her passion being the President of UCO and I would also like to find that somewhere in the world. The only way I can is to fully immerse into the world set out in front of me.

• As President Neuhold-Ravikumar discussed, we should always note that there is always room for improvement and to keep learning. In my experience in leadership roles, it has been easier to follow what the previous leaders have done, but I knew that I could do more with my position. Asking questions and taking more chances can go a long way. I have been guilty for staying in my comfort zone, but this year I started saying yes to opportunities that I normally wouldn’t go for and it has truly changed my life for the better.

• Nicholas Cockerill

For me, my utmost passion lays within music. More specifically, my long for wanting to become an educator in music to develop interest and create a passion for children/teenagers in music as well. If COVID-19 wasn’t a thing, I’d be volunteering nearly all my free time to teaching woodwind Jr. High students and it’s something I’ve been doing for the past few years. Alas, I cannot this year. I haven’t completely started my career as a music educator because, well, I’m not certified. I’m constantly asking myself what more I can do in current times to fill that void that I have. I really want to help developing musicians because I know it’s something that would have benefited me immensely as a child. In terms of leadership, musicians are in desperate need of leadership right now. COVID-19 has made creating live music to be near impossible and that’s almost the essence of what music is, especially jazz music which is what I really like doing. There’s nothing we can really do until COVID-19 has run its course, but I really like to be that beacon of hope for people. All this time alone in the practice room is demoralizing and is the reason I’ve had friends quit and drop out of music, but maybe there’s an art to individualized music. You can really impress yourself when you’re the only audience for yourself.

• Thomas Dunn

My bailiwick is programming, specifically graphics, video games, and machine learning. Since I began programming I have never had to pay a cent for any of the programs or information that I have used on my journey. I taught myself almost everything I know from YouTube, all of the programs I use are maintained by foundations or other communities and are free to download, and there is a wealth of open source projects out there created by passionate people who release what they have created for the world to use. Someday I would like to give back to the programming community by contributing to one of these open source projects with my knowledge (once I’ve acquired a little more) and by spreading the word.

• Augustus Cook

From a personal standpoint, I think I need to start getting more comfortable relying on my team members. I have a hard time delegating tasks to others because I have a bad tendency to be type A, and want things done in a certain way.

From a project standpoint, I’d really like to move forward in my plans to increase sustainable options on campus in the forms of hand dryers in the bathroom and more recycling options on campus.

• Roarke Simpson

I think something I could do is ask “what else do I need to do?”. I often find myself leaving as soon as something is over and not sticking around to see if there is anything else to do. After listening to our Presidents speech I made it a point to make sure to be more aware of what needs to be done to help out. I also think that this leads into a new aspect of my leadership, I need to be more aware of where help is needed. I need to stop focusing on when we are going to be done and focus on where I could help out and make what ever it is we are doing go more smoothly.

• Jacqueline Lopez

I am a part of a team of which I am the captain. There are several things I can be doing regarding my leadership journey to aid those around me. Some things I can be doing is learning the most I can about the rules and regulations. Another thing is, becoming more educated about the sport. Learning and knowing the history is helpful in my leadership role on my team. I also believe that working on myself is very important to be able to aid my teammates. Being able to have a good personality, attitude, and being approachable is major key.

• Jacob Shults

President Neuhold-Ravikumar had an incredibly impactful presentation, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t shed a few tears. She is such an inspiration. She talked about surrounding our focus on the 3 Ps people, place, and possibilities. She encouraged the idea of saying yes to opportunities to grow in order to maximize growth and after hearing her speak I’ve felt more inclined to say yes to opportunities as well as more intentionally have an impact on those around me while keeping focus on the present and what needs to be done now. I need to re-examine my motivations in order to keep myself focused on the present and avoid getting lost in what’s happened in the past or being afraid of what will happen in the future. To do this I will continue to learn how to be an effective leader through listening to other influential leaders such as the ones we have heard from in class and incorporating their lessons, because I am set in the belief that I will never stop growing and improving.

• Josh Reynolds

The area I am passionate about is psychology. The way I can aid people in this area is simply by helping them and providing guidance. Most people do not solve their problems through other people, but solve their issues by discovering themselves. With psychology I would be able to put people in the right direction.

• Clare Jordan

I have always considered myself an empathetic person and I live by the motto leave things better then when you found them. So this question has been extremely present throughout my life. Especially with my time in high school being g cut short I often find myself wondering what I could’ve done with those few extra months that I never received. I think if I could’ve I would have wanted to live and lead from a more genuine place. Especially in high school you have the urge to fit in. I believe the greatest impacts are left by those who are unafraid to be authentic. I think in general something I can do more of to become a better leader is to be genuine. My genuine self is kind and looks to support and love others.

• Eden Waggoner

Always asking yourself what more you can do and what ways you can improve your work and leadership is an integral part of being a good, genuine, passionate leader. The ability to reflect on oneself and examine one’s own abilities versus what work one is doing is an important skill to have, and one that we must always be consciously working to maintain. In order to improve the work that one is doing as a leader, one of the things we have discussed often and stressed throughout the semester is making sure not to bite off more than you can chew and spreading yourself too thin. This is important for producing quality work and leadership as opposed to simply doing mediocre or below average work in several areas. In the same respect, however, we can also look at the work we are doing and see that maybe we could be doing more than we are currently taking on. This is also an important way to be able to reflect on your leadership, to challenge and really engage yourself fully in the responsibilities that you take on as a leader. We can always do better in some regard to the way that we are leading, whether it be within our organizational activities and groups or within ourselves. In order to consistently do better, the greatest thing we can do is reflect and be genuinely intentional about making improvements to our work.

• When listening to President Patti talk about the difficulties of this semester and the tough decisions we have to make as leaders and her call to what else we could be doing to advance our campus forward, I reflected on what I needed from the people I look to as leaders. I think one the best things we can do for our campus, is to take care of ourselves and reflect what good self care looks like for students who are struggling during really challenging times. It seems this semester has challenged me in ways that I have not experienced before and I feel myself re-learning how to do so many things just to get by. In this semester I am transitioning out of many of my leadership roles, and the best example I can set from that is to leave my positions with grace and set the next officers up for better success than I was given along with the tools, resources, and opportunities to ask me questions. Leadership in any capacity shouldn’t be a trick and always being willing to help someone is so important. So, being kind to yourself and others is the biggest thing I could be doing right now.

• Destini Pittman

One of my biggest weaknesses as a leader is thoroughly planning. I’m more of a “go with the flow” planner. Not only is this kind of planning bad, it’s also unfair to the people that I am leading. It’s important that I strengthen this skill because if things go wrong I will already have a back up plan ready. Planning better could take my abilities to the next level. As long as I work hard this is something I can accomplish.

• Nicole Dirks

President Neuhold-Ravikumar gave an amazing speech that made me feel more connected to her and the UCO culture. She spoke about her journey and how her three main points: people, places, and possibilities were important to leadership. I found the body of her speech to be very inspiring; but she truly captivated me when she explained that she always asks herself “what else could I have done?” when she completes a project or conversation. This is a very straight forward way of evaluating yourself and I find that very important and quickly humbling in many cases. I believe that in my leadership I could be more open to others’ opinions. I would say my biggest weakness in leadership is truly listening during casual conversations.

• bethany garrison

whenever i finish my duties somewhere, in the work place for example, i always go to my boss to see what i else i can do. i want to help out the team as much as i possibly can. especially if i am new to that job or area. i want to not only carry my load, but also help others that are struggling to carry theirs as well.

• Andrea Riano

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Neuhold Ravikumar! Something that she said that really left me resonating overall with her speech was the fact that we need to shape the culture around us. I am from Colombia and a lot of times it is hard to mold into the culture around us or feel like we can fit in. I think that as leaders it is our duty and pleasure to be able to impact a different culture on others, we can bring a new perspectives , and new ideas. People, places, and possibilities serve such a great purpose in this as well.

• Trinity Major

Throughout this semester what I have learned is that you can always do more with those around you. Rather than attempting at doing things all by yourself. Take the time to be humble and ask the easy questions of what can I do. For myself, I’m at the beginning of this process, and already I’ve felt so much stress leave me.

• Jayden C Marshall

I believe that there is always something more to be done so why not keep going. Nothing is perfect but, that does not mean that you can not strive to get things as close to perfection as possible. When doing project with people there always many moving parts. Small tasks that lead up to a large reward. I believe trying to get these small details as perfect as possible is a way to do better. When people think of a leader they think of someone who is in charge of the big things. I believe a good leaders focuses on the small things too. A leader who focuses on the small details for the bigger pictures is a leader who is making a difference.

• Sarah Stovall

I really liked hearing the President’s speech last week. In her speech, she talked about taking chances on people. I liked that she touched on this because I would not be where I am today if someone had not taken a chance on me. As I am growing in me leadership journey, it is important for me to keep in mind to take chances on those people who I see potential in. I also liked how the President said about new opportunities. She said to visualize yourself in the role and to look for the end goal. I think this will be helpful to me in deciding what opportunities I will take on in my life. Overall, I loved the kindness that radiated from Patti. She cares about the students and faculty of UCO. She is not detached from her work. She is an excellent role model for us young leaders as we grow and figure out what type of leader we want to be.

• Isaiah Byrd

One of the most important things I think a leader can do is invest in people and make personal connections. Moving forward after this class I plan on making it a priority to talk with those around in order to better empathize and see there point of view. By understanding their perspectives and sharing mine with them I hope to become a more effective leader. I will also try to take on more jobs that may have intimidated me or seemed uninteresting before. By trying new things I hope to become a better leader by grow skills I barely use and gaining new skills I didn’t know would be useful.