Lessons in Leadership – Week 9 – Ramu Damodaran

During Ramu’s presentation he discussed extensively how global engagement and interaction increases perspective and understanding of those around you. What practices can you adopt which will help you broaden your understanding of different perspectives and beliefs, enabling you to connect with others who may have significantly different experiences?

• Mackenzie Goings

Being able to connect with others of all backgrounds is one of the most important aspects of leadership. The practices that I find most helpful in understanding others is to simply have a conversation. Oftentimes, we over-complicate understanding diversity. I believe that simply talking to those who are different than I am is the most effective way to understand their different perspectives and beliefs. I also believe that education is key. If we do not learn more about different cultures, we will never be able to connect with those who are different than us. Overall, I plan to use these two practices to further my understanding of contrasting cultures.

• I think it is important to do your research. It is up to you to learn and educate yourself on global topics and different cultures and ideologies. You will not always get the chance to interact with people from different backgrounds and perspectives, but the internet and books are thankfully always available for us to do our research.

• Alexia Brown

Listening to Ramu’s presentation really opened my eyes not only to how big the world is, but how much change we can make even though we represent only a small portion. Understanding different perspectives and beliefs is very important in order to make an impact in the way that Ramu references. There was one part in his speech that stood out to me and that was when he talked about him not referring to himself as a leader. He was humbling himself as a routine from connecting with others and bonding with them. Humbling oneself takes a lot of practice and is the first step I will be implementing into my daily life in order to accomplish engagement on a global level.

• I remember Mr. Ramu discussing the importance off being able to listen. For the rest of your life people will remain to be different from you. However if we all took the time to listen to one another, listening with no intention of rebuttal. We all would being to learn why certain people think or act the way they do but that’s a big step. I honestly don’t know how many people especially in our government’s leadership will be willing to take it.

• Clare Jordan

It was an amazing opportunity to listen to Ramu Damodaran perspective on leadership and to hear about his experiences in the UN. One of my favorite points he made was that the world has a responsibility to us just like we have a responsibility to the world. To me this meant that we have a responsibility to seek out resources in life to help us grow us people. Employing this can help us broaden our experiences. I believe we have to actively look for conversations with people who have different views than us as well as doing our own research on topics that we are not familiar with so we can better connect with others.

• Savana McCabe

Being able to see situations from other cultural points of view is extremely important in leadership. One of the biggest aspects of leadership is empathy and the ability to be able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. One practice I feel I could adopt to broaden my knowledge about intercultural experiences is simply listening. Having conversations about experiences is an effective way to become enlightened about experiences others have had and how they connect to the experiences I’ve had. Also, asking questions is something that goes hand in hand with listening. Sometimes people do not just come right out and talk about their experiences, so asking questions that the other person is comfortable discussing can help me to become more knowledgeable and can help me to make connections between different experiences. With knowledge of others’ perspectives, I am more informed about their point of view, and I can use this knowledge of their experiences combined with my own to gain more insight in problem solving and making connections with others.

• Caralyne Conley

I loved Ramu’s talk! He had such kind voice and spirit and I loved to learn from his stories and wisdom. I think I can adopt the practice of listening openly. When I say openly, I mean to be open about their opinions, experiences and generally just listening and letting them talk. I also will now ask those questions to broaden my knowledge of others experiences and have a genuine experience with them. Being open to hear others will help me gain knowledge and hopefully grow more relationships in life.

• Paighton Barnes

A practices I can adopt to broaden my perspectives and understanding of those around me is to engage with different people, instead of limiting myself. I should always be looking to meet new people and engage in new conversations. Another practice I can adopt is to go to different clubs events. By hearing different speakers and going to cultural events, I can expand my perspectives. I think the biggest thing everyone including myself can do is just maintain and open mind and actively seek out those new experiences and opportunities.

• I felt so incredibly thankful being able to listen to Ramu Damodaran give us an insight on his experiences and wisdom towards leadership. Being able to listen to so many mentors and leaders has been so effective and beautiful to experience. Something that spoke out to me so much was when he talked about how we can’t be leaders in isolation. I think that a lot of times it easy to say, why go to that event if I am perfectly comfortable in my nice warm home. I think that more than anything that statement should make us want to come out of our comfort zone even more. This year especially, we have been in isolation for quite some time and people now more than ever need leaders and mentors in their life. They need someone there so they don’t feel like their whole live is revolved around quaranting themselves.

• Maddy Kang

One of the most important things to consider when trying to broaden one’s perspective and beliefs is to do a self-check-in first. Ramu reiterated the importance of having faith in yourself and being able to extend that to others. I think once somebody recognizes their own faith, it makes it much easier for them to recognize the dignity and worth of the human person, as Ramu put it. Once that self-check-in occurs, I think it is important to purposefully put yourself in situations that challenge previously held bias’ and limitations, so you can continue to educate yourself. This could either look like striking up a conversation, asking difficult questions or having a culturally immersive experience.

• Madilyn Rhynes

Global engagement and interaction is super important. It is important to interact with others of other cultures as everyone has different views and outlooks on life that can be used to work together towards a common goal. I believe some practices that I can adopt to help broaden my understanding of different practices and beliefs of other cultures are to be curious and to be bold. I want to be curious about other cultures and further my knowledge. I also want to be bold. I want to be bold enough to initiate a conversation with those of other cultures and not be afraid to ask questions and show interest. It was neat to hear Ramu talk and then today in class hear from Tina Kirk about the IDI assessment. I am going to try to better myself into immersing myself into other cultures. I want to be bold and curious in my interactions.

• Kaylee Abernathy

Mr. Ramu is such a great leader due to his empathy. When talking to people with different cultural backgrounds, Mr. Ramu just simplily listens. He listens to other people’s opinions, thoughts, and feelings. Being an empathetic leader is very important because everyone needs to be heard. When talking to people with different cultural backgounds, you need to be courious in the conversations, you need to ask questions and have an open mind. Learning about different cultures will make you grow as a person and as a leader. Mr. Ramu was a very influensial speaker and I enjoyed listening to him speak.

• Brandy Bohanan

Practices I could adopt that will help me broaden my understanding of different perspectives and beliefs, enabling me to connect with others who may have significantly different experiences is being open to learning and understanding others backgrounds. Learning the way, they feel and think and why they feel and think that way, you have to be open to it. You have to be willing to understand from there point of view. Learning and understanding from a different view can help you as a leader because you’re not seeing things from one side, you’re seeing it from all different perspectives. Leaders need to see different perspectives to be able to achieve a goal for all individuals instead of certain individuals.

• Cooper McCoy

I believe that understanding someone else background is essential to be a good leader. Many people want to brings strategies into conversations when communicating with people of different backgrounds. I think this overcomplicates things. I believe it is as simple as being real with a person. Even if you say something wrong to them, they can correct you. Many people forget that people would rather be treated real than something fragile. You can just talk to a person and show that you are legitimately interested in their story. That is the first step in getting the respect you need from someone to be a good leader.

• Beyonce Hammond

Practices that can be adopted that would help broaden understanding of different perspectives
    are listening and adaption. In my life I have been exposed to different cultures and I think the problem with how I addressed these cultures was that I tried to change who I was to better adjust to those cultures. After listening to the speakers we had this week I think that’s the problem. Ever since I got to college I could feel myself slipping away. The languages that my parents instilled in me I can barely understand anymore. Listening and comprehending has always come easy to me when it comes to different cultures.However, adaption is hard work it takes time and persistence to truly get good at it. In this process make sure your staying true to yourself.

• Lauren Harman

Mr. Ramu had an engaging and eye opening discussion with us about global engagement. It’s easy to get stuck in your own bubble, but being empathetic and open minded are some of the most important aspects of leadership. Personally, I think it’s important to recognize others differences but then understand that you don’t understand. You will never live someone else’s experiences, and that’s okay. Listening to others experiences and stories without giving your own two cents is key to having empathy.

• Practices that would help me to grow as a person would be educating myself and being more aware of the world that is around me. I would say being more mindful and taking one step at a time. You are never too old or too young to learn. Make your life count and soak up all of the information that you can. Its important to stay grounded in your beliefs but adapt and truly listen to other people’s beliefs and experiences too. We as people are here on this Earth to connect with each other and celebrate our differences.

• Mariana Gonzalez

I think that the best thing that we can do to be able to understand different prospectives and beliefs is to just listen. More often than not, people are always thinking of the next thing that is going to come out of their mouths that they forget to actually engage into the conversation in front of them. Something that I do, and that I need to work on, is that I often drift to people that. have the same cultural background as me and that have had the same experiences simply because they are easier to relate to. I am aware that I do this and what I need to do is step out of my comfort zone and try to make relationships with people that are different than me and learn from them.

• Angelina Newton

I think one major practice I can adopt is keeping an open mind. Sometimes when we put ourselves in uncomfortable situations such as a different cultural environment we tend to compare almost immediately. I think by keeping an open mind I can be more willing to learn and experience new cultures rather than staying in my comfort zone. Another practice is asking questions which is a particularly important part of communication as it increases understanding. Often times just listening, although it is a great practice, doesn’t always connect you with others. By asking questions it shows interest and builds a connection, allowing me to see a clearer outlook of various perspectives.

• Taleaha Lee

A leader is at their best when they can understand others who do not have the same background as them. I feel the one thing that I can do is truly listen to understand and not to respond. Also, another thing I can do is be inviting. Not only to accept other, but for others to accept and understand me. One thing that Ramu said that stuck with me is simple terms is that everyone has a responsibility to everyone. the universe has a responsibility to us just like we do to them. The relationships across the world is a balance not uneven where one does more than the other.

• Avery Humphrey

Having the ability to work with others no matter what their background, culture, ethnicity, or religion is a major skill. Having empathy is a huge thing in leadership, which is something I sometimes struggle with. As a future nurse it is even more important to have empathy and be able to work with everyone because I will have patients and coworkers that are from every kind of background etc. so being able to put that aside is crucial for leadership and my future career.

• McKenzie Bookout

It is important to engage with those who have different cultures, beliefs, or perspectives as our own, so we can be educated. In Ramu’s speech, he mentioned that as leaders, we should be able to respect and learn from others. In today’s society, we like to assume everyone else is wrong, and are not willing to sit down and listen to what the other person has to say. It is not until we realize the importance of listening and understanding others that we will become great leaders. If we can change the perspective of ourselves, we can do the same for others.

• Personally I believe that the conversation surrounding understanding diversity has lost its path recently. Certainly studying about different cultures can influence ones readiness to connect with ideas from other cultures and many other avenues can lead to this as well. However, I believe that what we are talking about is a shift that must occur within ones mind. Attempting to actively be willing to accept disagreements between ones beliefs and our own and accept that both have merit is a battle which lies deep in brain psychology so I believe recognition of this and its impacts on you personally is the greatest step to connecting with others of different beliefs.

• alejandro valdovinos

An open mind, and an open heart. Having these two things will help you greatly and give you understanding to each persons perspective. Putting yourself in their shoes. feeling their pain. these are very important attributes to possess, but you can’t just possess them, you must embrace them. you must understand and realize that there’s a difference between the way you’re used to things being, and the “right” way for things to be. there’s a line that often times gets blurred day to day. with these, it will certainly aid you on your way to embracing diversification.

• Victoria Bates

Listening to Ramu Damodaran speak was incredibly interesting and an amazing opportunity. There were many parts of Ramus’s speech that stood out to me, for example, his ability to be positive throughout all of the struggles caused by the covid-19 pandemic. Another point that Ramu made that stood out to me was his statement that the golden rule (treat others as you want to be treated) is not always the correct rule to follow. This is because other people might have different standards for the way they want to be treated. These standards can be formed from different cultures and one way that I can connect better with those that have different experiences from me is to remember this advice from Ramu. In my interactions with others, it is important to treat them the way that THEY want to be treated. To know how to treat others I need to be aware of cultural differences as well as not be afraid to ask questions when I am unsure.

• Taylor Schuff

In Ramu’s presentation he made some great points about being a better leader. One thing that really stuck out to me was when he said, “You cannot begin with the assumption that a human being is flawed.” I believe this plays a vital role when trying to connnect with someone and understanding where they come from. If you go into a converstaion having negative thoughts and being closed off, you will not gain anything. We need to be more open minded and listen to people. We can learn so much from others just by listening to what they have to say.

• Nicole Dirks

I enjoyed Ramu’s speech and the insight he shared. I have often wondered why it seems that other countries know about United States’ politics but I do not know much about other countries’ politics. During Ramu’s speech I realized how important it is for me to inform myself of what other countries are dealing with politically and economically. I believe this will help broaden my perspective on the world and make stronger connections with others. In addition to this I would like to improve my listening skills and become more comfortable having conversations about differences.

• Jayden Marshall

In his presentation Ramu talked about the dignity and worth of human beings and understanding the bias and understanding of others. I believe a big thing to have when working with people of all different backgrounds and ways is respect. If you respect everyone you meet no matter what they believe if it is the same or different than what you believe there would not be a problem. When you respect others you respect their views and respect that they may not see everything the way you see it. By far the most useful thing I have that helps me understand people’s perspectives is the respect I have for other no matter what they believe.

• Ainsley Martinez

Cultural perspective is so important when engaging with anyone. Ramu exhibited the significance of this, especially by the ability to listen. Individuals are products of their environment, and this something I remind myself of everyday. If I experienced the opportunities and obstacles of someone else life I wouldn’t be the Ainsley Martinez I know: I would be someone else. This sort of compassion is critical when working with others, and it also allows you the unique opportunity to grow as a person. The best education is by learning from someone else’s experiences.

• Makayla Freeman

I believe an important practice to broaden your understanding of different perspectives and beliefs would be to have conversations where you are listening with an open mind. You can have conversations all day long, but if you do not listen to what the other person is saying then no good comes of it. Listening opens up the conversation to so many new possibilities. It gives you the chance to utterly understand how others feel and how they see the world. Having a conversation also allows you to share your perspective on topics so that you both can grow in your understanding of the different experiences that bring us together as a society.

• Jasmine Cooper

I am grateful to have had the chance to hear Ramu Damodaran speak about his experience and perspective on leadership. I learned that to broaden my understanding of different perspectives and beliefs I need to practice empathy. Being able to understand what the other person is saying and why they feel the way they do. Another practice is increasing my knowledge about the different cultures and know how to talk to them without bias. Having knowledge about the different cultures will help in trying to communicate with them and understanding their beliefs and values. Also remembering that when engaging with different people that the world is a big place, and they have different lifestyles and cultures from yourself is important as well.

• Abby Boyer

As leaders we should strive to learn from others. This goes hand in hand on what Ramu was talking about but on a global standard. We all have different backgrounds and have been through different walks of life which has shaped us into the leaders we are today. I strive to learn and listen to people. I am passionate about people so yearning to learn more about who they are and the leadership tools they have will satisfy me. I want to have deep conversations with them to broaden my perspectives about leadership around the world.

• Naomi Wharry

In a country as diverse as America, and in our environment at UCO, there is really no excuse to not know more about other cultures and perspectives. The main thing I believe that would help me to be more aware would be being more intentional about my curiosity and yearning for understanding. I have quite a few people that I have spoken to just over the internet that have helped me understand different viewpoints. When I have questions , I should seek out these different perspectives instead of just waiting for them to come to me. I should make asking strangers and friends questions a part of my daily life. This will definitely be a process for me, but I am definitely ready to start.

• Samuel Ting

I believe outside of understanding how other cultures behave and act, putting ourselves out there to speak and listen is a practical way to connect ourselves with others who do not share the same belief system.

• Ryleigh Watkins

As a leader, understanding how culture plays into peoples lives. Understanding why people are the way they are is fundamental to being a good leader. I really enjoyed hearing what advice Mr. Damodaran had for us. Something that I really enjoyed was when he spoke about empathy. He talked a lot about choosing leaders with empathy. I whole heartedly agree that empathy is vital for a leader, because if you don’t have empathy for the people you lead then what are you doing it for. You can empathize with issues people have without experiencing them yourself. In fact, I’d say that being able to empathize and understand is vital for understanding different cultural perspectives. It is good practice to always make effort to understand everyone around you. You can do this by educating yourself on the cultures around you that you don’t experience first hand. I try to do this as often as I can. Everyone deserves to feel understood and loved, regardless of cultural differences. I strive to show people that.

• Ethan Hodson

I think there are a couple habits and concepts I can adopt to be more understanding. One thing that is very easy to do is be a better listener. Being a quality listener is important for building a connection with someone you won’t immediately understand. Another thing I can also do is firmly establish and clarify what I advocate for. Sometimes, when talking to someone who is different in any aspect, we fail to accurately and properly explain what it is that we are talking about. Being able to establish what is of importance in a conversation can help rectify any misunderstandings and complications.

• Roarke Simpson

I think the best thing to do when learning new beliefs is to just be open minded. By that I mean you can not go into a situation like that and not be willing to hear and soak in what the person has to say. Being a good listener goes hand in hand with what I am trying to say here. I think everyone can learn to be a better listener and to not be so quick to turn down other peoples ideals and beliefs.

• Jayden Garner

After hearing Ramu Damodaran speak, it really touched me and made me realize how important it is to be able to connect with so many people through there relationships or their beliefs and be able to connect with them through mine and understand what it is like coming from someone else’s perspective. After Ramu talked to us it now has changed the way i view other people and their beliefs and i will use that from here on out and try to connect with people from different beliefs no matter our biases.

• Jacqueline Lopez

I personally believe that in order to help broaden the understandings of different perspectives and beliefs you have to be able to respect others. Also, listening to others experiences and trying to understand their perspectives is important. Educating yourself about other cultures and traditions is important as well, because you may encounter people who come from a different place than you do.

• Kaitlin Johnson

To broaden my understanding of others, I plan to do the re-evaluated “compliment sandwich”, the remix if you will. While the compliment sandwich is compliment-critique-compliment, the remix is simply similarity-difference-similarity. I notice a lot of comments discuss simply having a conversation but to elevate this approach I feel in response the remix could allow me to consciously acknowledge and understand different perspectives by saying them aloud. For example, the first similarity would be something they said that I’ve never really thought about, but when said aloud I realize I agree with. This will put us on good terms because no one can learn if you’re constantly arguing. Because disagreements are unavoidable, the next part would allow me to point out a difference whether it be right or wrong then quickly followed by something within the disagreement that we can find common ground on. I feel like this practice will not only help in leadership positions, but on first meetings, lectures, or regular old conversations. Truly a tool to learn more about a person and allow them to learn about you.

• shayna joseph

I believe being an active listener can help to educate, persuade and understand while having a conversation especially over different perspectives and beliefs. Oftentimes, when having a discussion I notice that the other person or even myself at times stops concentrating on what the other person is saying. Being a better listener and actually wanting to be educated over something will greatly help connect with others. Ask questions, give feedback, understand others’ differences, and finally educate others to avoid conflicts or misunderstandings.

• Nicholas Cockerill

One thing that stood out to me in his discussion was when he mentioned that he doesn’t think of himself as a leader at all. As a person of his position, he doesn’t acknowledge himself as a leader. It really blew my mind. He really has a specific set of criteria that he believes a leader should have. I wish I asked him who he believed a leader truly was. In terms of answering the prompt, this goes back to one of the first blogs we did. Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes is such a valuable part of being a leader. You don’t really think of the consequences of your actions in regards to different cultures unless you really figure out or know about that culture. Some things as simple as a thumbs up is viewed as a derogatory sign. It’s really hard to really connect to that other culture when you’re so brainlessly comfortable in your own. For instance, something that still sticks to me is when Jarrett mentioned that his driver on his trip to Uganda I believe said that it’s very out of place for someone with a college degree such as Jarrett to speak to him or even acknowledge him. I think it’s very hard to completely understand and connect to global cultures unless you do the research to learn about them yourself.

• Jacob Shults

During the conversation presented by Ramu Damodaran he touched on the concept of “Treating others not the way you want to be treated, but instead treating them the way they want to be treated.” I really appreciated this statement because it shows the importance of understanding how other people want to be treated. There is great benefit in thinking about and fully evaluating a situation to be sure and be respectful of others which is something I think everyone should learn and apply to their lives. Learning is lifelong, it is never too early or too late to understand how to support those around you.

• Bellanca Bradley

One thing that I feel is helpful in understanding others, is being able to put yourself in their shoes. Sometimes it is difficult, but it is an important skill that should be taught and practiced. Many people are quick to get angry at people for not knowing how to do tasks that seem common to them. For example, some people do not know how to speak English. It is common for media to cover people getting mad at people for not knowing how to speak American English. People forget that English is not the only language in the world. On top of that, people also forget what it must be like for other people that speak very straightforward languages with very distinct sounds to try to learn American English. Our version of the English language has been developed from many cultures from around the world and has many different pronunciations for similar looking words. As a leader, being able to practice putting yourself in others’ shoes in order to understand their side can help speed up productivity. Less time can be spent on fighting and arguing and more time can be put towards working towards and through a solution that can benefit everyone.

• Valeria Carreno

The thing that Mr. Ramu said that I felt it helps the most is being able to listen because that is literally the first step to acknowledge other cultures, identities, backgrounds, values, and beliefs. Just sitting down with a group of people that have different perspectives than you will help open your eyes if you engage and listen to what they are saying, not focusing on what you have to say next but actually listening, internalizing their ideas, views and experiences they are sharing with you. I also think that trying to put yourself in their shoes will help you understand things a lot more. I know this is pretty hard if you have never been in that position but by asking questions and trying to understand this more you will be able to create more empathy and be able to understand they experience and situation more and that will help you help them or understand them more. Not everyone will be open to share the complete experience but you will always have to try to understand them the best you can because a goo leader never gives up on people.

• Joshua Reynolds

A practice I have done to take learn more about other perspectives is to simply talk to people. I talk to people who have different stories from me. I listen and only seek to add when I need clarification. This was a very good talk in terms of learning this lesson from an international perspective. I also read about other cultures and gain insight on history.

• Destini Pittman

It is extremely important to expand your understanding of different perspectives, this will allow you to interact correctly with others from different backgrounds. The first thing you can do to broaden your perspective is meet people with different beliefs and practices than you. Doing this allows you to see others cultures in practice. Another way for you to broaden your perspective is to do research. If you want to learn something it is up to do your research, after doing research if you still have questions ask someone with that background. Both of these practices are simple but still allow you to expand your perspective.

• Thomas Dunn

There is no substitute to just talking to going places and talking to people with an open mind. That being said, I think one of the big things would be to have a guide, a friend or contact, that can introduce you to people and perspectives that you wouldn’t have been able to encounter otherwise. When you have someone to help bring you closer to these other perspectives it becomes easier to allow yourself to empathize and see things the way another person may see them.

• Emma Sawyer

I think the biggest thing is learning how to get along with other people. I have lived overseas, and learning how to communicate and assimilate into their culture. As leaders, we have to be able to utilize the differences among us and use them to inspire and bring people together – instead of separating us. You can learn so much from just truly listening to another person, even if you don’t agree with them.

• Jessica Russell

I think being intentional about conversations is very relevant in this area of leadership. It seems like a simple solution but it is rare and important. You have to be purposeful with the questions you ask and the answers you give. You have to listen closely to people. Asking, listening and understanding. Non of these say you must agree or share the same perspectives, but hearing them is essential. Hearing them fully, without trying to fight or having your mind set in stone. If you ask purposeful questions, you will be surprised by what you gain from listening the answers.

• Gracie Walker

Listening to Ramu’s presentation really opened my eyes to how big the world actually is. It is so easy to get caught up in our own small world and our own problems. You never truly know what others are going through and we have to be mindful of that, especially as leaders. You can be so caught up in the end goal, and not stop to check on the people around you. To be able to fully broaden your worldly perspectives, you have to be open to hearing others views and be accepting.

• Brystol Calloway

I think one of the best ways to broaden my understanding of other cultures and making meaningful connections is educating myself, and listening to others. Having an open mind is something I always take pride in, so I can definitely apply that to these practices by realizing that not everyone goes through the same experiences, there are different social ques and norms all over that we aren’t used to and other people are. I need to educate myself in the ways that I can make connections with the people who are different than me, and listen and take into consideration others thoughts and feelings.

• Augustus Cook

I believe we talked about this earlier this semester, but the best practice to adopt for that is to listen to understand, not listen to speak. So ask questions to engage an answer you can learn from, not that you can retort to. This way when you speak to others, you really learn about their insights and perspectives, rather than worrying about how it might change your own.

• Fatima Alconz

During Ramu’s presentation I can feel how passionatehe is about creating relationships beyond cultural boundries. While he was talking I started thinking that I want to have that heart, that love for people from different cultures and backgrounds. Since I came here my leadership was confronted because of culture shock. I feel like a tried so hard to fit in different groups here, trying to understand this new culture and trying to undestand people here, but sometimes its just hard. I started going to every meeting organized but my community group, I started hanging out with them, I made a cake for them, I gave them gifts but It was still hard to understand them and understand the kind of conversations they have because of their backgrounds, high school, festivities, language, music and others. They are amazing people that I really wanted to know and I think Dr Ramu’s shared one important point about this struggle I have now. He literally just said LOVE them. Love moves us to embrace their culture and go deeper about their history, their background, music, dance, food and everything. Be open to know them and understand and appreciatee every difference they have in their culture. One thing that I am learning is to be open to the differences everyone have and love them, love every difference, because they make them special. Special for the world and special for me. Everyone is unique, and here on UCO I am creating new friendships with people from all around the world. And its amazing. I feel like UCO brought me the whole world, every country reprentative to my life and now I can have friendships beyond cultural boundaries. And I am learning to love and embrace evry difference.

• Sarah Stovall

I liked that Ramu’s presentation touched on always striving to understand one another. It can be difficult to always to see things from other people’s perspectives, especially when they do not match your own. Understanding other people’s struggles and backgrounds is key in understanding their actions. For me, I always try to put myself in someone’s shoes and think about how I would act if I were in their position. I also like to keep in mind that it is easy to judge people by what they do and what you see on the surface. The harder, yet best thing to do is to try to understand and respect them and their decisions.

• Kyia Woodson

I found it was very eye opening to take the IDI test in the same week as this talk from Ramu. I believe that to further progress and be good leaders we must first become aware of the other cultures around us and try to see each others differences as strengths not weaknesses. I think a big thing we all could improve on is our ability to see those differences and recognize that it is far healthier to see culture than to pretend as though it doesn’t exist.

• Carson Ladd

Mr. Ramu talked about how it is very important to listen to others, because that is a big factor of being a leader in today’s society. At some point in your life you have to realize that your opinion sometimes isn’t always the best. If we would listen to others, we would have a better chance of coming to an agreement and making things better. I am going to take Mr. Ramu’s advice, and let it help me become a better leader on and off the field.

• Lavender Cisneros

There are many ways to broaden your understanding of other cultures and the world around you. One that I think is very important is to put yourself in an environment where people are not like you, Or “leave your bubble.” By doing this is allows you to be exposed to these new ideas and beliefs. But the only way to truly take in the differences is to take time to understand the differences. So study the history, learn about the culture, and truly listen to the people of the culture are some of the most important ways to broaden your own perspective on difference cultures. Look at the culture from an unbiased point of view and truly try to listen and understand.