Lessons in Leadership – Week 2 – Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe

During Sister Rosemary’s presentation, she discussed redefining change, and that change can be messy. During our current environment, change and uncertainty are defining many of our experiences. What practices, skills, abilities do you feel are necessary to thrive under consistent change?

• Sarah Stovall

I feel that Adaptability is a major skill that is needed to thrive in uncertainty. If you are adaptable, you are more likely to take the change head on and be more positive about it. Adaptability is the most significant skill for me because our world is constantly changing right now. We can’t get too comfortable where we are because there is not telling when it will change. Positivity is another attribute that I have also found to be important. I think it is essential in keeping a healthy mind set through these trying times. Also, the ability to be self sufficient is something that I have found to be very important in new situations and experiences. Being self sufficient has helped me be more proactive with my online work and my school work in general this semester.

• Mackenzie Goings

Change is something that my mind does not adjust to very well. I am always trying to improve the way I deal with change during my everyday life. This downfall has become evidently clear in this crazy 2020 world that we live in today. Being able to adapt quickly while still maintaining positivity is the most important skill to master while under consistent change. It is also crucial to be able to remain calm with everything that is thrown our way. The pandemic has shown me that change is inevitable which means we must be adaptable and able to handle any curve ball that comes our way. A quote that I live by daily to remind myself that change is healthy is “Everything gets a bit uncomfortable when it’s time to change. That’s just part of the growth process. Things will get better. Be patient.” -unknown

• No one ever likes change. We get so comfortable with our routines that when something disrupts it we tend to get annoyed and frustrated. I believe the best thing to do when change comes our way is to accept it as soon as possible and yes, like Sister Rosemary said it can be messy. The more we try to fight change the more we are hurting ourselves by trying to resist it. Another helpful tool is learning how to adapt quickly, especially during these times where they way we do things are changing day to day.

• Savana McCabe

There are two qualities that I feel are essential to thrive under consistent change. First is the ability to learn. Sister Rosemary spoke about how learning is something we will do our whole lives. She gave the advice that when you learn valuable lessons, use that to educate others. If you are willing to help others learn and you yourself are willing to learn in a time of change, it will be less daunting to take on whatever is ahead of you because of the new knowledge you’ve acquired. Second is positivity. Sister Rosemary also spoke on her perspective regarding positivity, and she mentioned something that really stuck with me. She said, “Just because you look at things in a positive way doesn’t mean you can’t get frustrated.” Positivity is one of my top five strengths, and I find that sometimes I feel that I need to oppress certain feelings because they don’t align with my usually positive attitude. Constant change can be a big task to overcome, and it can be frustrating. It is alright to allow yourself some frustration and anger at the adverse test ahead, but it is important to be able to see the positive side of the situation undergoing change and not let the uncertainty wear you down. Something that Sister Rosemary said that really stuck with me was “When the odds add up against you, smile.” I feel as though those words are so inspiring and show me that a positive outlook can help change a situation from terrifying and uncertain to a task that can be overcome.

• Kaylee Abernathy

Sister Rosemary’s presentation was well spoken and very inspirational. During the current changes in our environment, we often times only look at the negatives in the world rather than focusing on the positives. Sister Rosemary made it very clear that she was a very positive leader, and I believe that is a good skill for everyone to have. Finding the good in everything will make you a very enjoyable person to be around and a better leader. Another practice that will benefit us during this pandemic is keeping God in everything you do. Sister Rosemary talked about how she kept God number one in her life and how successful she was with it. Trusting God with every aspect in your life will make it very hard for doubt and negativity to creep in, making you realize that all things are possible.

• Sister Rosemary described many ways to overcome change and to be a leader throughout the process. There are a few practices that she mentioned that I believe are very necessary to be able to overcome that change; using others support for strength, living in the present, and smiling. It is important to not always rely on yourself for everything, sometimes we need a helping hand, or just someone to hear us out. With this, it will give us the strength we need to overcome any challenge. Living in the present is a way to be able to forecast the future, but also to take care of things and taking it day by day. One of the most important tools to thrive under constant change is to always smile. Smiling is a great tool to brighten your day and others as well. Change is inevitable, and to be able to prepare and take it headstrong and making the most of it is how to get through it.

• Jayden Garner

With change comes a lot of different things. Meaning you can’t just say you are gonna go on a diet and have a cheat day every other day thats not making a change. You have to be committed in to what you want to change set a couple goals for the change and chase them. Having the ability to commit to something takes patience and effort. Do everything you possible can for that change without expecting a reward and take pride in the change. Always stay ahead of the change and be prepared for anything to happen.

• Paighton Barnes

This time of consistent change can be extremely daunting for the emotional, physical, and mental well being. A practice that is necessary to thrive under change is to take time for self-care. Every night, I have been taking time to stretch and listen to relaxing music to wind down. It is necessary that you are flexible and can time manage effectively. I keep an organized calendar on my computer with all of my events, due dates, and tasks for each day, so I can easily rearrange my schedule when change occurs. Lastly, you need hope in order to look towards the future in this grim time.

• Thad Williams

In the present world we live in today, one that is always changing, and full of uncertain circumstances, the practice of persistence and adaptability are now more crucial than ever. With society facing problems that have never been seen before, one must stay steady in their pursuit to move forward, never becoming discouraged by change that might cause a setback. In looking to overcome these challenges one must not be stuck in their ways, but instead have the ability to step back and take a different approach at finding a solution. Open-mindedness plays a key role in this ability to take on change headfirst with the thought of giving up far from an end result.

• Ethan Hodson

I think there are a plethora of qualities and abilities required to overcome some adversity. Resilience is an important part of lasting in any leadership role, especially when going through a time of change. It goes hand in hand with a strong work ethic, allowing leaders to push through difficult scenarios that may seem monotonous or tedious. Being cooperative is also important because there are many things that are out of our control. Trying to do everything lonesome will only lead to stress and and failure in many aspects, so being able to involved others is a sure fire way to have a further and faster reach in your role. One thing that is overlooked in achieving a long lasting change is a firm foundation. Keeping a stronghold in a solid base, whether internally or externally, is essential to allow your role and goal to flourish. A weak foundation will only crumble when you put to much weight on it, and that is certainly applicable in this way.

• Taleaha Lee

During the times we live in, the world is constantly changing. I feel that in order to thrive in a community like this, we have to have adaptability. Without adaptability, there is no way that we can be okay with the changes occurring. I also think you have to be okay with not being comfortable, because our “normal” is now consistently changing. Even before the pandemic, change occurred expectedly and unexpectedly. That shows us that we can never get too comfortable in our situation. When you become comfortable, you stop aiming for better which prohibits growth. Another skill I feel is necessary, is the ability to live in the now. We cannot focus on how things used to be or how we want things to be, we have to focus on what it is at this moment. I know we want our “normal” back; however, this is our normal right now. We have to be able to embrace the changes of the world and the changes of ourselves as they come.

• Cooper McCoy

I feel like one of the best skills to have as a leader in constant change is listening. Not just hearing, but hearing and contemplating it. In times of constant change the voices of the people around you need to be heard. Not just to help them, but to help you make the correct decision. In all of the small things in today’s craziness you need to take into account the thoughts of others. This will help all the bigger situations be more normal. Whenever something occurs and people know they are being heard, that helps the relationships in that group continue to grow and strengthen. Keep an open mind and open ears.

• Andrea Riano

It is so crazy to me because I was having a rough morning the day that sister Rosemary spoke, and everything that she said really spoke to me and was exactly what I needed to hear. Change is hard and it is my biggest fear, I don’t like change but I know it’s necessary. My favorite quote that she was; “If change isn’t messy, it’s not change.” Changes need to happen in this life and it helps us grow and mature, as leaders and humans living this crazy adventure called life. Hence, sister Rosemary really helped me to gain a different perspective and pour that perspective into others.

• Alexia Brown

Times like these are so unnexpected and requires change. As someone who does not always welcome change with open arms, this period of my life deveolped more skills that are important in leadership and life. Adaptibility was one quality that I had to work on, because of the events that were stripped away from me senior year. It brought up alot of emotions that I dealt with by being positive, which is one of my strengths, and used that to create new normals through adaptability. Another quality I valued during the pandemic is acceptance. Accepting the situations as they come and taking what I can to learn and improving with my ideas was something that I took out of quarentine and will use when future change occurs.

• Clare Jordan

Change has certainly affected my life the past few months. From watching events that I have put my heart into getting canceled to major ceremonies no longer happening I have had to get use to change for better or for worse. Something that I think that is important now, more than ever, is enjoying the small moments. I felt some regret this year for not enjoying the journey and just looking to the end goal. In most cases I never got the see the end. This taught me a lot. I needed to focus more on the present and stop living for the future. It is still important to have long term goals but I was shown the importance of a healthy balance of both. I believe this will assist me well with future change and make me a more adaptable person.If we live more presently change will not seem so harsh for the future.

• Lauren Harman

I truly believe that change is essential for growth and transformation. To progress, you need to be willing to first acknowledge that change is happening: whether that change is in or out of your control. Often it’s hard to admit that previous tactics aren’t working and there is a need for something new. The next step is to adapt to that change. This requires that you accept the unprecedented circumstances. Sister Rosemary opened my eyes to being positive and keeping a smile through change. She explained that “bad experiences create new perspectives.” Both the health and racial crisis happening have allowed me to expand my mind. And for that, I’m thankful.

• Caralyne Conley

I took a lot of notes over what Sister Rosemary said, but the one that hit me the most was her quote about change. I am very glad that is what are blog is about this week. I think often in life I try to make and accept change in a clean manner. I would try to anticipate it as much as I can so that I could be prepared and it wouldn’t be as bad. But as Sister Rosemary said, that isn’t change, so that small quote has definitely helped me grow as a leader this week. I think the abilities that are necessary to thrive in change are patience, positivity, and willingness to better the environment/change. With all of these traits I think a leader can go through change with growth and successfully.

• I feel that staying rooted/grounded in your core values will help one to thrive under consistent change. Its like a cycle, every-time your surroundings start getting out of control, then you remind yourself of whats important to you. For me, its faith and family. Those are my two main reasons that help me get through anything in my life. My faith in God gives me the ability to thrive under any circumstance because I know he wouldn’t put me in any position he knew I couldn’t handle. Then, my family continuously shows me their love and support in everything that I do. Also, I feel that embracing change and being positive are important, additional practices when thriving in our ever-changing world.

• Ainsley Martinez

Sister Rosemary perfectly demonstrates the importance of integrity in leadership: leading for the right reasons and with an ethical mindset. In her presentation, something that struck me was her true desire for what she was doing. Throughout this I realized that one cannot just try to be humble, the quality presents itself with genuine intentions. Raw authenticity transcending into a humble attitude is a quality of leadership to shrive for-especially in this current social climate. This humbleness enables a leader to have an open perspective on the world. This is extremely significant: in our polarized state leadership that seeks out others ideas and viewpoints allows for more positive change.

• Jasmine Cooper

The ability to adapt is necessary to thrive. Being able to handle anything that is thrown at you and working with it to improve is necessary. Not many people do well in change and try to fight against it but being able to make the change and work to make not only yourself better, but the community is an important ability to have. Being able to improvise is also necessary. There will be many times that things will go a certain way and require someone to think on their toes for a new solution to make things work. The world is consistently changing and new things are being brought up and it is important to stay open-minded and know your roots because you might be able to think of something that no one else has thought of and help the community through a new perspective.

• Bellanca Bradley

When we talk about change, people immediately begin to react and freak out. Society does not like change. Societies do not like having to deal with messy situations and change is messy. When encountering change, it is important to be able to be flexible and be aware that change is always going to happen. If we are unable to change, then society becomes stagnant and begins to destroy itself. For example, Sister Rosemary addressed how society had to change and adapt when COVID hit. In order to protect lives, we had to change the way we were living. Civil wars have broken out throughout history because people were unable to see that change needed to happen. The most important traits that I feel a leader should have are, the ability to be flexible, and the ability to know when to ask others how to help them adapt to change.

• Maddy Kang

In today’s environment, we, as a society, have undergone major changes — from social distancing guidelines to transitioning to online school. However, viewing change with a positive outlook helps one flourish in the future. Sister Rosemary also reiterated that anything can be overcome when one views it positively. It is also important to remember to own the change — and to redefine it, as Sister Rosemary said. I believe that a major way to thrive under consistent change is to get used to it. Yes, it is easy for one to ebb and flow and roll with the punches, but I mean to get comfortable with the uncomfortable, the messy. Finally, it’s also important to recognize that others are also experiencing changes in their lives that we may be oblivious to; and realizing that one is not alone in their change helps them find a sense of humility and growth among others.

• Throughout my life, I have experienced many big changes. In 6th grade, I moved from Utah where I was born to Minnesota. A place I had never been and had no family other than my parents. At the time, I viewed this change as the end of the world. But, in 10th grade I found out I was moving again, but this time to Oklahoma. When it came time to leave Minnesota I found that it had become my home, and that this horrible change I was so scared of actually helped me grow into the person I am today. When I moved to Oklahoma I remembered that experience and instead of dreading the move, I looked forward to it. I considered this change as another way that I was going to grow and improve. This positive attitude helped me so much in my first few days at a new school. When I graduated from Duncan High School I found that I had again adapted and created a new home for myself there. In my opinion, the most important thing you can do to thrive under change is maintain a positive attitude and be willing to accept the changes the come to you.

• Beyonce Hammond

Sister Rosemary gave me a deeper understanding of what it means to be a leader. The world we knew just a year ago is completely different from today’s world. In many ways, the events that have taken place are negative, but I am able to see the positive of what could come out of this. That’s why I believe the most important traits you need to survive in a changing environment are positivity, adaptability, and innovation. When the BLM movement took fuel this summer, I had a new sense of purpose I was ready (still am) to see change. Change is so beautiful there is always room for improvement and always a way we can help to promote change. As Sister Rosemary said “As a leader you should always look forward and predict results.”

• Nicholas Cockerill

We’re in extremely challenging times right now. Especially with this class being incoming freshmen into a college environment. It’s very easy to get frustrated and constantly think of giving up. Not only are we acclimating to a college environment but also dealing with a global pandemic at the exact time. I think adaptability and perseverance are near essential traits in current times. You have to be able to adapt to the rapid change in culture going into college and the shift in lifestyle in a pandemic. Some people completely ignore these two changes in their lives and it’s very obvious when they do because it’s an outlier in our current environment. Another trait that is harder to commit to is perseverance. After you’ve adapted to the changes, it’s hard to keep a mentality strong enough to trust the changes you’ve made in your life. Everybody thinks of just giving up in college. Everyone goes through a phase where they aren’t 100% sure what they’re doing is what they want to do. During this pandemic, some people continue to wear masks but they constantly doubt the practicality of it. You have to commit to what you’re doing and persevere through the hardships if you want to see results in our society and in yourself.

• alejandro valdovinos

For me, when she discussed these things it made me open my notebook and take a look at the my 5 strengths assignment, and see which ones were relatable to what she was saying. The ones i found that were related was, restorative, input, and adaptability. I will start with adaptability because its self explanatory, you adapt. you can and are able to differing circumstances and things that you are not used to, like a favorite motto of mine “get comfortable being uncomfortable”. Input is a little harder to relate,however to me the need to collect and store info is vital in being able to adapt efficiently and quickly. Last but not least we have restorative, which is similar to adaptability, but different in that you do it faster and it is a much smoother transition. those are my top three skills and or strengths needed to be able to adapt to change well.

• Madilyn Rhynes

The year 2020 has seen a lot of change and challenges, especially in a time where we are living in a pandemic. I personally do not enjoy change, but it is unavoidable. Change being inevitable and unavoidable has to be lived through. You got to press on and keep going, even when times get tough. Since we are living in unprecedented times and constant change, we need to take them head on and roll with the punches. In a leadership role, things are constantly changing and you are faced with conflicts. A leader needs to be able to adapt. Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe shared that we need to have a positive outlook on life and through our change. She also said to smile! Smiles are powerful and could change someone’s day. Be a positive change and not a negative change. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” – Socrates

• Kyia Woodson

In these times where change and uncertainty is becoming the new normal, adaptability is critical for a leader. Being able to change and adapt as the situation does is how strong leader face these trying times. One must stay steady and head strong as they push through these times. It is never an easy task when one must be the leader when the end is not clear. As Sister Rosemary touched on, being able to be flexible and caring above all else is how we will get through these times. I believe facing such hardships as we are now it is very important to remain kind and empathetic.

• Avery Humphrey

I have always been the type of person that feared change. I like to have a routine and it throws me off when my schedule changes. When corona changed my senior year and now my freshman year in college I have had to learn how to not only adapt to changes but how to be positive about doing so. This lesson was not an easy one to learn but has made me a better leader because of it.

• Angelina Newton

Consistent change is never an easy process, you feel like you can never settle in a comfort zone and it becomes frustrating. However, as Sister Rosemary described it, change is necessary to become a successful leader. Not everything is going to turn out exactly as planned but how you adapt, commit, and accept that change is a key part in the process. By using adaptability, you are able to take changes with stride and not be stressed by how something could change within seconds. Another key skill is committing to the next plan that you decide on. Commitment is ideal in consistent change because even though plans may not be set by committing your time to a new plan of action could make all the difference. Finally, acceptance is a great ability to possess in change. If you can accept and move forward instead of dreading on the past many are able to make a successful shift to their new normal more efficiently.

• shayna joseph

We live in a world of uncertainty. It is easy to get angry about not knowing what will happen next and not having anything under our control can be frustrating at times. However, I believe this is where we are challenged and can change our perspective on how to handle a situation. We must be able to be slow to anger, adaptable, and confident in our values to thrive under consistent change. Being angry is fairly an easy thing to do, especially during these times, but as a leader it is unhealthy to dwell on. To learn, grow, and forgive will help us be open-minded. Growth depends on how adaptable you are. Sister Rosemary reminded me to be a leader of change and have self-awareness. It’s critical to every individual’s ability to communicate, empathize with others, and grow.

• I see many valuable characteristics from Sister Rosemary’s. As a human, I respect her kindness and selflessness. More importantly, she is the perfect example of a good leader. The most notable trait I saw is her ability to stay positive in front of the public. During her presentation, a student in the class asked a question regarding the secret of staying strong despite all the downfalls, and she mentioned about the purpose of her work is to bring goods to the world. I think this is a very critical trait as a leader. Whenever a team is facing hardships, a leader must stand out and not only lead the team to a better position, but also help encouraging the team members. Without the optimistic view, it can hardly be done. Secondly, Sister Rosemary is a goal oriented person. Often time, finding goals is not a difficult task to do but the doubts and hesitations always slow down or even terminate our progress along the way. Sister Rosemary’s ability focus on the goal allowed her to achieve what she had done and I believe it’s worth everyone to learn.

• Josh Reynolds

When change comes your way you have to learn to find the positive aspects in order to find the motivation to keep going. Sister Rosemary was talking about how despite being stuck in America she is finding ways to help. We have to make the most out of everything in order to inspire others. Another important skill is that we have to put other’s first. Our goals to lead do not matter if we do not consider each person as an individual with their own needs. In summary two main skills you need through change are optimism and to be people oriented.

• Trinity Major

There is much that we need as a society today but I believe Sister Rosemary said it best. That our leadership needs humility. Being able to be humble enough to listen but also knowing when to speak. If people took the time understand one another instead of fearing each other we wouldn’t have our problems. If our leadership was filled with humility the vice of corruption would be irrelevant. However I do not know if that is possible but I continue to pray for our leadership. Praying for our future leaders and that they will be better and to provide those presently with the wisdom to do what is write.

• Makayla Freeman

A practice that is extremely important to thrive under consistent change is having back up plans. While you always hope that an event or experience will go exactly how you want it to, there are factors that are out of you control. That is why having back up plans is critical. It saves you the stress of having to come up with a solution on the spot, and it helps the transition to the new situation run much smoother. Skills that aid in these situations are adaptability and creativity. Adaptability is crucial for obvious reasons. You need to be able to assess situations and adjust as needed. Creativity is important because sometimes the kink in your plan will require unique solutions. Even if it does not require a unique solution, it could require a solution that needs you to look at something in a different perspective. A combination of these things and help from others would lead you to thrive under consistent change.

• Naomi Wharry

When I first began to experience this crazy amount of change, it certainly caused me a lot of discomfort. I noticed that one thing that stresses me a lot is when things do not go as planned , and that definitely happened a lot this year. I knew I could not sit in that disappointment and self-pity for much longer. There were three things that I found seemed to help me get through it. The first thing was to simply talk about how I was feeling with others. I know that talking about our feelings in situations like this can help. Especially at a time like this, where it is affecting so many people in different ways. Another great practice was to build new healthy habits. When there isn’t much that you have control of , it is very centering to find the things that you can control. I had to think to myself “Yes I cannot control that this or that was cancelled, but I can control if I decide to do yoga this morning, or if I decide to use this time to do something else helpful to me and others.” In addition to these, I found that it was helpful to always be searching for forms of inspiration. Being inspired by someone or something that I find amazing just gives me a new burst of energy and motivation to keep finding new ways to grow in the things I am passionate about- no matter the circumstances.

• Ryleigh Watkins

There are lots of traits that are important to surviving in an ever changing environment, but the top one for me is an open mind. When you go into every situation with your mind already made up, you miss so many opportunities. Some of the best things is life come unexpectedly. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t hold fast to the values that make you yourself though. It’s okay to have ideals, just don’t project them onto everyone. It’s important for leaders to know how to let all sorts of beliefs and ideals coexist. Grow from situations, learn things you never knew. Growth can be painful and hard. It isn’t usually fun, but its the only way you can keep moving forward.

• Lavender Cisneros

Change can be very uncomfortable. As humans, we like a routine, and when that routine is interrupted it makes us very uncomfortable. But sometimes being uncomfortable is a good thing. It takes a certain person with certain qualities to overcome these changes and learn from them. One being perseverance; perseverance will allow oneself to keep pursuing or pushing no matter what obstacles are thrown at them. For example, Sister Nyirumbe has experience many changes in her life, but that never stopped her from reaching her goal. She is persistence no matter what happens, she has the strength to keep marching on. I believe that a great leader, has to have that quality in order to be a great leader, and achieve what people never thought could be achieved.

• Destini Pittman

Sister Rosemary made me realize how difficult it can be to be a leader in difficult times. During these times like these leaders are faced with even more problems than normal. In these uncertain times I believe that adaptability and focus are important skills. If you’re not adaptable you won’t be able to handle the change well, which will make it harder to lead. When you adapt you can change your original plan for the current situation. When you’re focused you can keep your eye on the goal and plan how to reach it. When these skills are put together you can be a better leader even when times are hard.

• Unfortunately it was my senior year during the pandemic like many others. As class president, I had to adapt to change quickly. Even though this year looked a lot different than every other year; others and I understood that we had to make the most of every moment during the unpredictable circumstances that we were all going through. Life can go in many directions, but it’s up to us leaders to lead in event/situation for others. One of my favorite quotes reads “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones you’ll start having positive results.”

• Brandy Bohanan

I feel as if everything changes at one point and you just have to be ready for it and accept it. It’s important to adapt to change, as where it could be difficult to change the way you’ve done something for some time. Right now we are having to wearing mask when around others and staying 6 feet apart. We have to wear mask going into places. It’s something we’ve had to adapt to while some people have already adapted to just grabbing a mask when going out while others still forget because they aren’t use to it.

• Cole Ranck

What practices, skills, abilities do you feel are necessary to thrive under consistent change?

On Tuesday the message that most stood out to me through Sister Rosemary’s conversation with us was her emphasis on humility in leaders. We all know it is important to be humble and to know where our skills end and others should begin, but her redefinition of this and of arrogance was something that especially struck me. She said that humility is not just acknowledging that you need the help of another but going to them and admitting it, and she followed by saying that arrogance is the inability to achieve any part of her definition of humility. I believe that humility is an especially important attribute to have under constantly changing conditions because without recognizing the interdependence we share with others we cannot be exceptional leaders. Further, the shortcomings fueled by arrogance and ones inability to form the important interpersonal bonds are exacerbated in times of change and challenge.

• abbi curling

I feel like strength, respect, and the ability to listen are most important when talking about change. Strength is important because change can be hard. It’s important to remain strong not only for yourself, but to be a symbol of strength for those around you. Respect is another important quality when it comes to change. Others need to be respected for their emotions and feelings towards the change. Everyone reacts differently and that’s okay. Finally, the ability to listen is a very detrimental skill to have. You cannot help or lead others by not listening or considering what they have to say. It’s all about listening to different opinions and perspectives so that you can move forward in the most effective way possible.

• Carson Ladd

I believe that change is very hard in this generation. Sister Rosemary did a very good job of putting us in a leaders perspective, and teaching us that as long as you put a smile on your face through the hard changes, everything can be positive. You just can’t think of the negative in everything. Which Sister Rosemary did a great job of teaching us that, and she is someone that I will strive to be as a person, and a leader.

• Jacqueline Lopez

I feel like being able to adapt when our environment changes is major key. The ability to accept change and being able to make changes as things come our way is important. Adaptability is necessary when undergoing consistent change. Change is messy like Sister Rosemary said, but it is important to know how to deal with it and move on.

• Valeria Carreno

I’m the kind of person that enjoys being inside of their comfort zone, I have never been the one who loves change and adventures but I have had plenty in my life – to be honest more than I would have wanted – which this has prepared me for this everchanging environment in which we live today. I agree with Sister Rosemary that change is always messy because I have been able to face enough of it to understand that the best skill you can have for this “mess” is patience, perseverance, adaptability, and tolerance. Patience and tolerance are the main skills in my opinions because when there is change things are never perfect, not even good, at first because it takes time, work, and effort to make things flow the way they are supposed to and you will have to wait until the change starts showing and things start running smoothly; change is also something hard to warp your mind around, so many people will have different opinions about it and you have to tolerate them even if you don’t agree with them. Change takes perseverance too because if you want things to change you need to always work hard everyday to make that change. Lastly change takes adaptability it takes that you can mold yourself into this new environment, understand it, and accept it, and if not completely at least try to because if it’s for your benefit is worth the try.

• Thomas Dunn

As Sister Rosemary said, the ability to forecast the future while remaining grounded in the present is important. While sands shift under our feet, it is important to be aware of what is happening under you in order to keep from loosing your footing and it is also important to be looking slightly ahead to keep yourself from leaping onto an unstable patch of ground when there is a potentially more sturdy foothold right next to it. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to your values. Your beliefs should be constantly tested and reevaluated. If they have weathered great change in the past and have withstood your efforts to try to break them, then they are probably sturdy enough to lean on when other things are changing and uncertain.

• J’Kayla Compton

“Change will always come as messy as possible, and if it is not messy than it is not change.” -Sister Rosemary

After hearing Sister Rosemary speak on her views on leadership, I found that the most important ability to me when it comes to leadership is practicing good relationships with others. A relationship that is sincere and rich in connection is a power that leadership has to move forward when it comes to changes for a community or groups of people an individual cares for. The relationships I have when it comes to education, the black community, and the empowerment of women are full of want and desire to help make a difference in all communities regardless of the mess and obstacles that are stacked against change. A leader must also be resilient when it comes to demanding change. Sister Rosemary spoke on her experiences with COVID and how she saw that her people would need extra guidance on how to stay healthy, and I can relate that to the protesting of social injustices our country has indulged in for to long over the past few months. Both have people leading others despite a virus or the possibility of violence. Overall leadership is about an individual that has a passionate to care for others, to lend the helping hand to those who are not as fortunate, and the desire to better an environment for the greater whole rather than just a few. Sister Rosemary’s speech helped me see the factors that I consider to be the most important to leadership. Indulging on true connections through relationships, staying resilient even in times of hardship, and the passion and desire to serve others are the three cleaning supplies that help a leader thrive under consistent messy change.

• Taylor Schuff

In life we experience change all the time. That change can be good or bad. For me, I try to look at change as an opportunity to grow. A lot of times it can be hard but you have to be flexiable and be open to new things/ideas. The more I am open to change the more I learn from others and grow as a leader.

• Nicole Dirks

Sister Rosemary made some intriguing statements about how we react to change naturally versus how we should try to handle it. One idea from Sister Rosemary that stood out to me was when she said to take a step back when things are changing around you and try to take on a new perspective. Use these challenging times as a benefit to you; use it to build your strengths and expand your understanding of the world. I firmly agree with Sister Rosemary on this and I believe that being able to see things from different perspectives than your own is not only an important characteristic of a strong leader, but also a great way to help yourself through change. In addition to this, I believe adaptability and positivity are essential when dealing with change. Adaptability allows you to adjust to change while positivity helps you keep your head up through the difficulties change can bring.

• Emily Cole

I feel that patience, accountability, and kindness will be just three of the many skills it will take for humanity to adjust to the new world and challenges COVID-19 has brought upon us. This “new normal” is extremely challenging, and can sometimes be emotionally taxing as we no longer get the levels of connection we once did with our peers and classmates. However, we must still actively be working to holding one another accountable to keep our community safe. Wearing a mask can be uncomfortable, and it is difficult to refrain from gathering with our friends, but we must work together (especially as leaders on the UCO campus) to promote the use of PPE, social distancing, and safe group numbers across our campus. We MUST promote these practices with kindness. Sister Rosemary asked us many questions about not only what kind of people we want to follow us, but what kind of people we want to follow ourselves. People are drawn to causes and others who exert positivity and kindness, and therefore would be more comfortable following the example of someone who truly is promoting the well being of their peers. Above all, we must have patience. As Sister Rosemary spoke on, change can be scary. It is difficult to stray from the world we have known for our whole lives, and have to change everything we have ever practiced in the blink of an eye, It will take courage to tread into this new normal, and we must be patient with others who are learning to adjust to the new world, just as we are.

• Roarke Simpson

I think the biggest ability for someone in these times of change is adaptability. With recent events going on in the world people need to be able to adapt with all the different changes and new ideas going on in the world. You also need to be a people person in these times. With all that is going on people are very worried and are looking for someone they can turn to in times of need.

• Brystol Calloway

Change is a different process for everyone. First, to deal with change it is all about how you approach it. If you come into a new season of change with a fixed negative mindset about the situation, you have already set yourself up for disappointment. Coming into change requires an open mind and heart. Asking yourself questions like “What can I do to learn from this?” or “What is something positive I can take away from this?” will help keep an open mind looking for positive opportunities. Another building block to dealing with change is adaptability. Being able to “go with the flow” and do what is needed of you when its needed is so important in a changing environment. This makes you so much more of a “helper” in any situation. And to me, the most important thing to have during change is perseverance. Perseverance is so important because it’s a “big word” for DON’T GIVE UP! Pushing through any obstacles that come your way through change is going to be your victory. Believing in yourself and sticking to your guns is going to be your victory. Everyone is on your side, when you are too. To me, these are the most important skills to deal with change.

• Jacob Shults

in the wake of a pandemic the way we lead is directly correlated with how we are able to persist through these troubling times. among the qualities of great leaders there are some that the application of is imperative. change is inherently scary which is why during times of great change a leader must be adaptable and understanding of these newfound issues in order to keep a level head, while also having the grit and determination to push through them. because so many have lost hope leaders have to be willing to build it back up again. sister rosemary is one of these leaders that not only builds hope for those around her she sews it into their wounded souls like stitches allowing them to heal. sister rosemary is a pristine example of what a leader should be in the times of a pandemic. using the best of every situation the world has thrown at her she has built and lead a community in a way to create the change she wants to see in the world. overall after hearing sister rosemary speak i feel that the most important thing leaders must keep in mind during change is supporting those around them throughout it. change affects everyone and in that sense we must make sure everyone is heard and accounted for.

• Fatima Alconz

We are not always prepare to face big changes, but as leaders we should be able to keep the calm and look for the better solutions. Sister Rosemary is an amazing example facing big changes. Everywhere she goes she is aways a light in the darkness, she gives solutions, she share wisdom, she gives peace and serve her comunity. She made me think about waht I want to be on this time and I want to be that light in the darkness. I want to be the giver, the helper, and always bring peace with me to everyone around me. She is also brave to face this kind of big changes. That was the first quality that I saw in her. She is a brave woman. And I don’t want to be afraid to face that changes that are coming on this uncertain time, instead, I want to be the light and share my light.

• Jayden Marshall

Change can most of the time be scary and tough. dDuring change people have different ways of coping but I believe many people fallback on others support when in situations of change. One big thing I feel Sister Rosemary spoke on was relationships, and how much she values relationships for many reasons one being helping her through tough situations. Another thing I believe is important when going through change is relying on the skills you have grown. Change is just another learning opportunity in life so when going through it people rely on their skills from past experiences to help them get through it. Sister Rosemary talked a lot about leadership skills and how she has used her skills in this time of drastic change In everyones lives. I believe that with the helps of others and your past experiences anyone can get through a time of change no matter how tough.

• Eden Waggoner

It is extremely easy to allow one’s instincts to take over when it comes to the concept of change. It is almost always my first reaction, personally, to reject change entirely. Being college freshmen, I feel that this message was probably very purposeful for us to hear at this time, as all of us are undergoing somewhat drastic changes with our transition into college life. I liked what sister Rosemary had to say about this concept, especially what she said about how change will inevitably be messy. She said that change is always going to be messy, because if it isn’t messy then it isn’t change. I have found this to be very true, as change itself is a naturally uncomfortable process. Though we cannot necessarily control every aspect of change that we personally experience, we can control how we react to the various changes that we will experience when we are growing. This is what truly impacts us deeply, and I liked what Sister Rosemary had to say about this as well. When asked how she was able to adapt and stay positive while experience drastic changes and the pain that came with this, she said that she always remembered her roots when moving forward. The ability to keep oneself grounded and to hold onto one’s own core values and principles is an essential ability to develop and maintain when experiencing change. It is so important to be true to oneself, especially when times are challenging, as this is what will make or break us on each of our individual journeys of growth as we experience the inevitable change that comes with this journey.

• bethany garrison

Being able to adapt to the always changing “new normal” that we are currently in is important in many ways. Without having those adaptability skills, you won’t be able to impact and make an impression on your audience. I think preparation, flexibility, and adaptability are three very important skill sets to have in your corner. I have even talked to people who meditated when they had a big presentation, race, or event coming up that they were nervous about and they said that it helped immensely so if anyone practices that, i think they could also use that to stay cool under the pressures of our ever-changing new normal.

• Gracie Walker

I really enjoyed Sister Rosemary’s presentation, it was really eye opening for me. I feel like a lot of the time it is easy to focus on the negatives you are facing personally, when in the great scheme of it all our problems are way smaller than the rest of the worlds. For me, my biggest problem may be not finding a parking spot after a long shift, whereas there are people in the world who are struggling to find clean water. These issues won’t be fixed over night, it will take dozens of Sister Rosemary’s to put a dent in our worlds current turmoil. As I have mentioned in class before, in order for any real change to occur we all must be willing to have the uncomfortable conversations to get the ball the rolling.

• Augustus Cook

Change is an unfortunate reality of life. Very rarely do things go exactly as planned. I believe that because of this, one of the most important traits to develop is grit. I believe this because if you have the grit and resolve to push though and stay convicted no matter how the situation develops, then you can overcome any sudden change or adversity.

• Isaiah Byrd

The world is constantly changing. Some times for the better and some times for the worse. in order to influence change in the world for the better, a leader must be adaptable and empathetic. Being adaptable allows leaders to react to any situation they my find themselves in. along with being adaptable, a leader must also be empathetic. in order to create change you must be empathetic to people on both sides of the issue. it is easy to see someone on the other side as ignorant or evil but being able to understand that they may just have a different point of view than yours will help you be able to have a positive conversation and change their view.

• Jacob Shults

In the wake of a pandemic the way we lead and handle situations is directly correlated with how we as a society are able to persist through these troubling times. Change is inherently messy, which is why during times of great change a leader must be able to adapt to the situations around them and understand what needs to be done, while also having the grit and determination to push through these struggles. However, it’s not enough to just possess these attributes it’s imperative to our future that we apply them and are willing to work with those around us in order to most effectively spark change. Change affects everyone, which is why supporting those around us allows for the affects to be positive ones. So many have lost hope during this pandemic, but during a loss of hope a leader that builds it up again is required. As Sister Rosemary spoke, she spoke as a leader that not only builds hope in those around her, but “sews” it into their wounded souls as stitching, to maximize healing. Sister Rosemary is a pristine example of a leader that does not run away from change but embraces and uses every situation as a chance to grow, because without change growth is impossible.

• Kaitlin Johnson

I feel that willingness is most important when going through a season of change and uncertainty. A person needs the willingness to adapt to the new situation (i.e. wearing a mask or social distancing) in order to safely and quickly get through a change. They need the willingness to understand that not only are they uncomfortable, but many others may be going through unspoken battles in conjunction with the common stressor. If everyone makes an effort to act out of empathy for others, it will help everyone thrive in change. Finally, the willingness to embrace change. Change will forever be miserable if one cannot seek the good coming from it. For example, yes it’s probably inconvenient having to make sure surfaces you touch are clean and you aren’t carrying around any unnecessary bacteria, but it is comforting to see businesses and public spaces making a more conscious effort to make sure these places are more sanitary for everyone. I truly do believe that any trait to thrive in change is rooted in the willingness of a person.

• I think with how crazy the world is changing we need to be able to adapt. It is important to understand the good and the bad that can come from the drastic changes the world has to offer especially with this pandemic. Adaptability gives us the opportunity to grow and observe when things switch up or throw us a curve ball. We as leaders need to be equipped to tackle on change and make the most of it. My strengths from last week assured me that I can adapt and influence the differences around me. My strength was restorative and I think that goes hand in hand with adaptability.

• Jessica Russell

During these times of unprecedented changes, our society is relying on the stability of individuals to use wisdom, and be conscious of the impacts they may have on others. I personally believe that integrity is one of the most important attributes during this time. I feel like most people are looking for a light in someone else, and I believe that the decisions people make are strongly influenced by what is poured into their heart, and eyes. In turn, what is done behind closed doors is sometimes more important than reacting quickly to the situation at hand. Another key attribute would be trust. Trust involves not only partnership, but also a level of respect beyond the surface. During this time of tension, I believe trust can not only mend relationships, but also communities. The third key attribute I believe is relevant today is faith. I believe that everyone, no matter what their circumstances may be, needs something to cling to in times of uncertainty. This is where the role of faith becomes most important. In my experience as a Christian, my faith has mended many relationships, turmoil, pain, and confusion in this walk of life. Faith is an important role during these times because it supports mental health, and the ideal that there is a greater purpose to fulfill than what you may be experiencing at this time.