Week 12 – Lessons in Leadership – Bill Curry Video

In the video viewed in class this week, Bill Curry discussed several key points concerning leadership and personal decisions. Which point(s) resonated with you the most and why?

• Mide Cassaday

Bill Curry’s speech has by far been the most inspirational speech I have listened to this semester. He told his story about not going along with the crowd and not listening to what he could and couldn’t do from other people. He went for what he wanted even when he was told he could never make it and he would fail. He showed perseverance and commitment, which stuck out to other people like his fellow football players and coaches. He received help and he was supported after putting in the effort and showing everyone that he wasn’t going to give up just because he was told that it wasn’t in the cards for him. It was refreshing to hear such a great success story about a time where prejudice was the “norm” and he came out on top because he refused to comply with the social pressures of his youth.

• Mikaela Trenary

Bill Curry’s video lecture was nothing short of exceptional. Out of all his teachings, my favorite was the example he used from his observations of the perspective of a child. Out of this perspective, Curry encouraged us as leaders to : 1. Know who we are and be truly satisfied in that context 2. To tell the truth and stay utterly curious 3. Have confidence in the fact that you have the potential to do something great with the life you have been given. I left this lecture inspired, empowered and encouraged. Because of Curry’s positive delivery, I will definitely reap the benefits of applying his teachings to my pursuit of stronger leadership qualities.

• Ainsley Bain

Bill Curry spoke about leadership. What stood out to me most was the connection he made between children and leaders, and how often times leaders have some child-like characteristics. Those characteristics are being comfortable in your own skin, being curious and honest, and to know that we have the potential to be great. He also mentioned a couple other things that stood out to me and that was having time for little people, and knowing that we have the ability to do what they (whoever we look up to) did. I think Bill had some very good points on these, because leadership with each of these characteristics is so very vital. When those characteristics are possessed by leaders, they are often successful and influential on their followers, like George Washington was in the story that Bill told! I also enjoyed the poem about the cold within, that is such a good visualization of leaders not stepping up and being the bigger person and it ultimately caused death to everyone. I also liked when Bill said, “you should want to be on the team,” which speaks volumes about desires and goals and how they affect your attitude. Bill closed with, “unexpected, undeserved, unrewarded acts of kindness,” which is something I think we can all work on in each of our own leadership paths.

• Lilian Smith

Bill Curry discussed many important leadership and personal lessons that I value greatly in my life. The point that resonated most with me was the vitality of loving people even when it is hard. I love how he emphasized loving “little” people and loving people who are unlovely. He spoke about all of us being the same regardless of our skin tone, background, church we attend, or our political party. Loving people is such an important leadership trait and is vital to influential leadership.

• Savannah Hughbanks

Although Bill Curry had multiple key points, the one that stood out to me the most was where he said to face the “fellowship of the miserable” before you can be assisted. In today’s society, people either fall victim to others, trying to make everyone happy, or they branch away from others and do not care what anyone thinks. They do what they think is right. As a leader, we must do what we think is right. You will never please everyone, so why try. This goes hand in hand with another point of Curry’s where he asks which will you choose- the pain of discipline or the pain of regret? If you look to others for acceptance, you will not reach your full potential. Be disciplined. Follow your dreams and your heart. It will lead you to where you were meant to be, and you will not regret it.

• Brianna Jennings

Bill Curry was an amazing speaker and provided us with many lessons to learn as we grow in ourselves and our leadership. Personally, the “Being comfortable in your own skin,” key point resonated with me most. Being comfortable in your own skin is one of the first things you have to learn when it comes to loving yourself and being able to love others. Everyone deals with some insecurity, some dislike, or generally just some thing that they struggle within themselves, so it isn’t some phenomenon that only one person goes through. There are a lot of things that I don’t feel comfortable in but I am working on them diligently as well as learning to love myself in order to become a better leader. Overall, being comfortable in your own skin is something that everyone needs to work on and is something that everyone can help each other on, which is why is resonated with me so deeply.

• Karina Cabrera

A point that resonated with me throughout Bill Curry’s speech is “Don’t lie to people, it demeans you and sometimes it destroys them.” This point hit home for me because I’ve always been one to not lie and only asked for the truth in return from others. A close friend of mine, for a lack of better words, destroyed me when he lied to me about a big part of his life. For months, even years I blamed myself and wondered if it was my fault that he felt like he had to lie to me until I finally concluded that I was not at fault in the situation. The second point that stuck with me is: “Undeserved, unexpected, unrewarded acts of kindness”. As a person, I feel like it is my job to always remain humble in this world and observe and acknowledge. I love to unexpectedly tell someone how much they mean to me in hopes to see them just smile. It is the small gestures that affect us the most. The last point that stuck with me throughout his speech is the definition of an angel, which Curry defined as someone who does not know why, but always does good. Curry was Incredibly lucky to be helped by his mentor who he described as an angel and was lucky enough to be taken under his wing. I hope that as I live my life, many people define me like an angel and I leave this world a little better, even if I only make a positive influence on one person.

• Caylee Ralls

Although it was a video, Bill Curry was my favorite speaker so far. The points that resonated with me most were “Potential to do great things” and “Potential to do what others did.” I believe these are two very important things many of us as college students forget. I know personally, I don’t always feel as if I’m good enough to do certain things. Bill Curry said, “We need to learn to think outside the fellowship of the miserable.” We need to learn to have a positive mindset and tell ourselves and others that we can do it. We have potential to be the best. The point “Potential to do what others did” probably hit me the hardest though. When talking about this point Bill Curry referenced the Bible and used the verse John 14:12, “Whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these.” Jesus is telling us we will do greater things than him. That is the most encouraging thing I have ever read. So next time I am feeling as if I am not good enough or that I will never be as good as someone else, I can look back on everything Bill Curry taught us.

• “There are two pains – the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. One is temporary. The other lasts forever. You alone decide which to endure.”

This quote is hands down one of my favorite quotes to date. I had never heard it before and it hit me hard. Often times when given the choice to take the easy way out, I take it. A leader doesn’t take the easy route, they do whatever they can to improve themselves. Like Bill said, if you discipline yourself it will only get easier in the future. I needed this quote to help me finish the semester strong. I will save this to look at in the future when I think about not doing what is best for me and improving myself.

• Callie Hambrick

One of the points Bill Curry made in the video we watched this past Tuesday was that being a leader and being successful requires being comfortable in our own skin. I feel that this is especially important because it is a type of basis for success in all aspects of life: social life, professional life, personal life, etc. If we are not happy and content with who God made us to be, then we do not have confidence. If we do not have confidence, then we cannot lead. Leadership takes a lot, as we all know and continue to learn. But, without first learning to love ourselves and be content with who we are, we cannot really acquire the other blocks of leadership that are necessary to positively impact those around us.

• Seth Harriet

The video of Bill Curry was one of the best Tuesday classes this semester for me. Mr. Curry did a great job explaining some of the most important details of leadership. Coming from a guy that built this leadership from hard work and mentors. He explained leadership through the eyes of a child, but he was most accurate with his explanation of why. When you go with what everyone else wants you to do you will never achieve what you are capable of. I have a hard time with this, coming from a small school everyone knows everything so I based my actions off of what people would think of me rather than what I thought was the most important option. Mr. Curry also focused on honesty; this is one of the most important things that I think makes a person’s character. The last thing I will talk about is Mr. Curry’s explanation of pain. He said there are two types of pain, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. This is a great way to look at pain, if you go through the pain of working hard, it keeps you from going through the pain of regret. Overall, Mr. Curry grave a great presentation in 2008, even though I just got to see the video it was still very valuable to me.

• Madison Baugh

Now I know why Jarrett Jobe wants the leadership class to watch Bill Curry’s speech every year. Bill Curry is a powerful, influential speaker. While all of Bill Curry’s points impacted me, two points in particular resonated with me the most. 1) You have potential to do great things, and 2) there are two pains in life: discipline and regret – You choose. The first point resonated with me because a good leader has to believe in his/her ability to do great things. As my own biggest critic, I tend to sell myself short and that is not what a good leader should practice. The second point is about taking chances and putting yourself out there. I have been working on being bold this semester. It is so important that a leader can live without regrets and be courageous.

• Ruby Edsall

Bill was absolutely riveting and had a large stage presence, despite not actually being present. His presentation style was really gripping. My favorite leadership characteristic was his “be honest and curious” point. I think we live in a culture where questioning is almost shameful–it means you don’t know. It also means you want to know, something different and special. We are all inquisitive as young children; this slowly evaporates, at least audibly. We stop showing our interests as it implies a lack of knowledge. However, you never learn if you never ask. I Have a whole page of Bill’s quotes, each one fantastic. One of my favorites is “There is someone who needs you. Go find them and help them. Especially if they don’t deserve it.” I think this is a wonderful display of leadership: we serve and help others not because they deserve it, but rather for the purpose of serving and helping. I really, really enjoyed Bill’s speech and would seriously love to meet him one day.

• Abby Wright

Bill Curry’s speech was very moving. I really loved what he said about loving people where they are at in their life. He talked about how people told him he could not do things in life, but it only took one person who truly believed in him to motivate him and push him to succeed. He also talked about racism and how it does not matter what you look like on the outside it is about grit and what you are capable of. Overall, regardless of your appearance and what you believe in, what matters is whats in your heart and how hard you work.

• Ashton K Joyner

Bill Curry brought up several key points that resonated with a large audience. One of those emphasized is being comfortable in your own skin. To me, this simply means to love yourself for who you are. If you cannot love and appreciate the qualities that make you unique then it will be difficult for you to do the same to others. We must first learn to love ourselves to love those around us in a healthy way. If we do not do this then it is easy for insecurity and comparison to control our actions and emotions. Once we learn to accept ourselves, we can accept others for who they are as well. To be a successful leader you must be able to lead with confidence and be strong in who you are.

• Emme Douglas

The point that stuck out to me was when he said, “Have confidence that you have the potential to do something great with the life you have been given.” It sounds like something my dad would say to me when I am down on myself. That type of inspiration really resonates with me because I can have negative thoughts about myself. Usually, I am the one that tells myself I can’t do a specific task. I need that encouragement, and I usually find that in my dad or in the Bible. The Bible says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Also, God gives promises saying that there is a purpose. Bill Curry just restates the beliefs that I tell myself in times of doubt, and that is why it resonated with me.

• Hannah Morrison

The video of Bill Curry was one of my favorite talks we have heard so far. Two of his key points that I really enjoyed included his encouragement to stay utterly honest and curious and his talk on knowing we each have the potential to do great things. I find it very easy to fall into a routine that stays the same with each day. I wake up, get ready, go to class, take care of homework, and go to bed. When Curry talked about the young girl constantly asking questions and always wanting to learn something new, it made me realize that no one should ever settle with what they know. I should always be looking for ways to change my schedule to be more efficient, and there are always new questions to be asked. Bill Curry also said that even though the little girl was at the young age of four, he could tell she would do wonderful things. We are all born with the potential to accomplish new and astonishing things. It’s the people that go forth and work towards accomplishing the new tasks that are seen as leaders.

• HwiYeol Lee

Actually, Bill Curry’s speech was shorter than other speakers but, it never means that his lesson is not valuable. His lesson was so powerful for me. He wanted to teach us about how important honesty is. Leaders face hardship and disorders many times. Actually, it is not an easy problem for leaders, however, if we focus on the problem with an honest mind, we can solve the problems wisely. He also talked about his pain in his life. It made him so difficult but it also develops him to grow up a good leader.

• Emma Lammers

Bill Curry was such an amazing speaker. His communication skills are exceptional. I really loved all of his key points, especially when he used the example of the little girl. I would have to say that the key point that actually resonated with me the most was that everybody has the potential for greatness. I think it is hard for people are my age to actually conceptualize us doing great things. I think we all know that it can happen, but we don’t all think that it will be us who does that great thing. It’s very important to recognize that all of us can do something in this world that is worth more than we ever will be. This key point by Curry will definitely stay with me for a long time. This will motivate me to go outside my comfort zone, experience new things, and observe the things I never would have before.

• Kameron J. Kimball

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s speech. I think I liked it so much because it was one of the ones I related with the most. I really liked when he used the kid example and how we need to be our true colors. Or taking chances and go big or go home. Then how there’s two pains in life which is regret because you don’t do something you wanted to pursue, or discipline because that is the pain of getting what you want. I find this very important and couldn’t agree more. If not now, when? Then I feel I am fairly comfortable in my own skin, however, I can practice this even more.

• Mahfuzul Karim

From the video lecture of Mr. Curry, I liked most the way he talks about honesty and explained why honesty is important for a leader. Being honest and not to lie makes the person humble and he gets to know the purpose of life. Honesty is the way one can be successful. I always try to be honest to myself and to others too which I think makes me a better person. one more point that from Mr. Curry’s video resonates with me is to act on dreams. ” Whatever you do or dream you can, do it.” this point resonates wholly for me, and I got the results of that so many times in my life and that failed to amuse me. Acting on dreams and working it always gives us a result.

• Audrey Allard

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s speech about leadership. I loved how he used kids to describe leaders. We so often forget how much wisdom children have and how much we can learn from them. He talked a lot about being confident in who you were made to be. Being a leader is about being yourself and not allowing others to change who you are or your drive. That is so important to me especially coming into college where I could be anyone I wanted to be. I also really liked his story about the football player that really mentored him and changed his life. One on one mentorship really is so important. I know we talk a lot about finding a professional mentor, but also a life mentor. Having someone pour into you and really take time to recognize your potential is huge. It directly helps with being comfortable with who we are. Having a mentor really helps the people being poured into to see themselves as successful, because other people see that quality in them. Those two things I really want to apply to my own leadership style; being confident in the leader that I am, and pouring into younger people to help them become more confident in who they are!

• Tyler Boykin

The most important point of Bill Curry’s speech to me was always staying curious and telling the truth. Telling the truth has always been a major factor in my life that I always try to follow. Telling the truth is also an important part of being a leader. A leader that is not truthful will lose the trust of his followers and a leader without followers is not a true leader. In my life I always strive to tell the truth because it’s the right thing to do even if it could not benefit me. So a message to future leaders out there always tell the truth and don’t be that person who lies through life.

• Kinsey Harper

Bill Curry’s presentation was one of my favorites this year. He spoke about many key points and was very motivational. He emphasized greatly about pain of discipline, pain of regret, and to tell the truth. The point I resonated with the most was to tell the truth and be you. He encouraged each of us to be ourselves and be comfortable in our own skin. I relate to this because this is something I struggle with daily and I know others do as well. It’s tough to be yourself when you feel like people will judge you for just being you. This world is so harsh and judgmental now that we are scared to be talked about for our actions or personality. I do agree with Curry when he says to be comfortable with ourselves. We are all different and we need to embrace it. All of our different personalities are what put the puzzle together in life. Every piece is different but has it’s own spot to make the beautiful picture! I am going to embrace being myself more and not get caught up in that others might think!

• Saul Perez

Bill Curry was an amazing speaker and very influential, his ways with words were so well crafted and organized which helped get his point across. The thing that stood out to me the most was his idea that great leaders have time for little people. This is true because a good leader can make anyone and everyone feel wanted and as if that person if the center of the world. This really inspired me to become more humble and center myself down to earth and see myself as a normal person and see the needs of the people around me instead of feeling higher than anyone.

• Sarah Huhman

While we listened to Bill Curry speak through a video, he had made some points concerning leadership and personal decisions that I had never thought would be pertaining to leadership. The point that he made that resonated with me the most and caused me to reflect on my decisions and thoughts more was his explanation of pain. Bill said that there are two types of pain. The pain of discipline and the pain of regret, and as a leader you will experience both types of pain. It never occurred to me that learning from trial and error, is all apart of growing as a leader. Its so easy in todays time to shy away from voicing your opinion or going against the crowd just so you can please everyone. But as a leader if you do that you will have the pain of regret. Personally, as a leader I would rather grow from the pain of discipline then the pain of regret. Learning from the pain of discipline is much easier than to learn from the pain of regret. You would be able to know you gave it your all versus wondering how different the outcome would be if you gave it a chance.

• Tyler Garcia

The video of Bill Curry’s speech is honestly one of the most inspiring and motivational speeches I’ve seen. Bill talked a lot about being comfortable in your own skin, and not taking people’s criticism too harshly. He also said to know who you are and be comfortable in that context. I feel like a lot of us, especially as leaders, struggle greatly with who we are and the positions we are in. Everyone is always striving to be the best that they can be, and sometimes finding content with who you are is tough, but it’s something us as leaders need to be more okay with while still taking chances when the opportunity is open to us.

• Maggie Turner

Bill Curry was a very inspirational speaker. He spoke on how leaders should act and respond to the world around them. Going about your day by doing the right thing without even knowing why is something I personally need to work on. This stuck out to me because I find it easy, especially at work, to be lazy when the managers aren’t around. Doing the right thing even when no one is watching is important to being a leader. There is ALWAYS someone watching. The hard work you put in after hours, or behind the scenes is what will truly build you into the best version of yourself.

• Pierson Van den Dyssel

In the video viewed in class with Bill Curry as the speaker, he discussed several key points concerning leadership. One of them actually being a quote saying something along the lines of “There are two pains in the world; the pain of discipline and the pain of regret”. I love this quote because it showed me that there are two spectrums of the world. One being a style with which you do all the right things to better not only for yourself, but also the world. The other being a way that inquires someone to feel sad, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done. And how we get to choose how we live our lives from day to day.

• One of the most interesting and profound things I heard from the video of Bill Curry was his need for a mentor. If it wasn’t for the man who decided to help him train in order to make the football team he wanted he would have never had the opportunity to play on the NFL. It was such an inspiring story to hear, and an exellent way to give an example of leadership. The mentorship idea is such a great form of leadership and portrays the idea that you can learn things from people who you may have never known had the ability to affect you in that way. I believe it is so important to have someone to give wisdom to you and inspires growth in yourself.

• Bill Curry had many points but the one that stuck out to me especially was the point he made about facing the miserable times head on before you ask for hlp from others. In today’s day and age, people suffer for many reasons, some reasons being because of others, trying to make everyone happy, or branching away from others and not caring what anyone thinks about them. They always do what they think is right and as a leader, we must do what we think is right and never compromise their morals for others. The point that he made was pretty much stating that you will never be able to please everyone no matter how hard you try.

• Heather Maker

Bill Curry is an exceptional speaker who can relate to any audience whether he is there in person, or being seen through a screen. Even though he was not able to be there in person, his words resonated with me. The most impactful lesson that he spoke upon was the leadership qualities he saw through the lens of child. Children are often seen as inferior to adults, however, many lessons can be learned simply by listening. His first point was being comfortable in your own skin. His second point was being utterly honest and curious and to tell the truth ALL the time, even if it hurts. And lastly, have assured knowledge in the fact that you have potential to do great things. After working with children for some time, I have seen all of these qualities first hand and hope to implement them into my everyday life so that I can become a leader who can be the best version of myself.

• Tyler Owens

In Bill Curry’s speech, the point that resonated the most with me was the concept of knowing exactly who you are, and being satisfied with it. This truly resonated with me because my whole life, I have battled with who I am and if I’m happy with who I am. The first sixteen years of my life I spent having no clue who I even was, and the next few years I spent trying to figure out the difference between who I am, and who I was trying to be. I have made it one of my most important missions since being kicked out to find who I am and stay true to it; not who my ex made me out to be, and not who my family made me out to be. Whenever it comes down to it, nobody knows you better than you know yourself, and nobody can tell you who you are or who you are supposed to be. Curry’s point about being satisfied with who you are further reassured one of my greatest revelations that you don’t have to change to make other people happy. Only your happiness is your responsibility. If other people aren’t happy with who you are, then they can frankly just get over it because it isn’t their problem.

• Brianna Taylor

In Bill Curry’s presentation, he said that, “leaders are honest and curious.” This point resonated with me the most because, I believe, it perfectly exemplifies a leader. A leader is someone who is curious about the world around them. They see problems and do not run away, instead, they see an opportunity for improvement. A leader must also be honest with themselves and others, even when it is hard. A true leader acknowledges their faults and is honest with themselves. They also push others to be better through honesty and integrity. Bill Curry presented many qualities that he believes every leader possesses, however, to me, honesty and curiosity are vital characteristics that every leader must have.

• Cassidy Riley

I was extremely moved by Bill Curry’s speech. His second point grabbed my attention. “Be utterly honest and curious, straight forward even when it hurts.” I liked that he brought up honesty and curiosity in the same sentence. There’s a way to be honest that is insensitive and unteachable. That type of honesty checks the straight-forward box but misses out on growth because it isn’t curious, it doesn’t listen to and learn from others. I want to have both, honesty and curiosity. At the end of his speech Mr. Curry says, regarding giving his best and not giving up, “it only matters that he’s my brother.” Almost every day this week I’ve thought about that. Going to work with that mentality this week has made me better, more passionate, and more determined to help the people I work for and not give up. That determination to not give up because the person beside me matters to me, that’s not necessarily the most glamorous part of leadership, but it is crucial. Thinking like that gives life and meaning to everything I do.

• Kylee Snell

Bill Curry’s video was very inspiring. Throughout my life sports leadership has always resonated with me the most because that is what was always “preached” at the school I attended. Coaches pushed leadership on their players and that’s how you grew in your leadership. When he spoke on his experiences and struggles with being a part of sports teams it hit hard. The most valuable thing I took away from it was to have the confidence in potential successes. For me personally, it is difficult to accept failure and I tend to get too deep into a task instead of moving on to something else that could work out better for me.

• Maison Smith

I think the point that resonated with me the most was about the two pains in life. He said that they are discipline and regret. I think so much of the time I get lost trying to discipline myself and end up full of regret later. Although this point resonated the most with me, I also found a lot of value in most of what he had to say. When he was speaking about realizing that you have the potential to do great things that really hit me. If we don’t believe we can do something then we won’t do it. We have to see beyond the obstacles and know that we are capable. His speech has been one of the best throughout this class, and I understand why it was chosen for us to watch.

• Jerome Brown

Bill Curry is a great speaker who had some great points. He explained to us that we have to be comfortable in our own skin in order to be a leader. This is important to me because without being comfortable in my own skin, I can not be confident and give confidence to the people I am leading. Another point that he made was loving people even when they make it hard. As a person in a leadership role, there are going to be people who you do not like, but you still have to love them and give them your best. Bill is a wonderful man with a lot of knowledgeable insight on leadership.

• Mason Lance

Bill Curry’s speech was one of the best that I’ve seen. The way he presents himself and the way he talks about his past experiences really amazed me. One point that he talked about was to never lie. He said, “If you don’t get anything out of today, remember this, never lie.” All lying does is hurt people. As a leader you have to be honest with your peers and to people you report to. If I knew that my group leader or any leader lied all the time, then I wouldn’t trust them or look to them for any advice. And as a leader, it is not good if that is how your peers see you.

• Shelby Denney

Bill Curry’s speak was such an inspirational and motivating speaker. His lessons were easy to follow and the messages behind them were so impactful. My favorite topic was his lesson about Anna Grace. To look at the world as a child and how their innocence, curiosity, and comfort in themselves are able to shape the ways they grow and learn are amazing. As I work with kids everyday I see this lesson in action. Kids have all the potential and prior to the world telling them everything about themselves they have such a sense of self worth and love and curiosity. The world is a limitless place to be discovered and they feel worthy of making them. Bill encourages us to reach back into that time of comfort in our own skin. Something that can be so hard to do in a world that tells us everything we are is incorrect. Mr. Curry’s story telling abilities really resonated with my current state in life and the way he connected in his video is something so special as a leader. I highly enjoyed this talk and want to begin live my life more in comfort of my own skin just as a child.

• Erynn Coppedge

During the video, Bill Curry made many great points that I took to heart. He said to always speak the truth, and be honest and curious. He also talked about several different great leaders, and told us that we have the potential to do something great like they did. I think the thing that resonated with me the most was when he said “every single person has someone who needs them.” I like that he said that because it makes me feel like we are all connected and that everyone has a purpose. I think it is important to realize that everyone has the ability to impact someone’s life for the better. It can encourage someone to pursue their dreams, and they can go on to make a great difference in the world.

• Sydney McDaniel

I thoroughly enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation. If I could only single out a part of his speech that I would remember to carry with me always, I need to remember that leaders help everyone–even those who don’t deserve it. I wouldn’t consider myself pessimistic, but I would definitely consider myself petty in certain situations. As I continue my growth as a leader I need to remind myself to “make time for the little people”, as Bill Curry put it. He says we are commanded to love thy neighbor, and it is such a simple task, but he asks us why it seems that no one does it? I liked how he made leadership into a trait that you can practice, as I’ve never thought of it like that. He says if you practice it on a daily basis, or when it doesn’t really matter, you’ll know exactly what to do when it does matter. This is definitely a piece of advice I will be taking with me!

• Dominic Graziano

This was probably one of my favorite speakers, regardless of it just being a video. I can’t quite remember the exact points he stated in his speech, but the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fortunately, I’ve experienced both so I have an understanding of both. I personally haven’t really experienced “fomo” or anything like that until recently. Regret kind of sucks, and it’s not enjoyable. Discipline also sucks, but only in the moment. I believe discipline is incredibly important and that it pays off greatly in the future. Regret only leaves regret.

• Charity Lassiter

As I was watching the video of Bill Curry, his key point of being “comfortable in your own skin” really stood out to me. In this society it can be hard to be comfortable with who you are when societal norms are constantly shoved down our throats. Growing up it actually took me till my senior year of high school to actually be comfortable with who I was. Now I am a very individualistic person, and I love and respect individuality with all of my being. I believe that as a leader it is important to “be comfortable in your own skin” because when you reach that level of comfort, you aren’t easily swayed. You are grounded in your beliefs and are true to who you are. To have those qualities as a leader you set an example to those who are not yet at that point in their lives and sort of become a role model in a way. People will always trust those who are sure of what they believe in.

• Mason Rasmussen

Bill Curry gave a very powerful speech that I am glad our class had the privilege of watching. One of the points that resonated with me was to be utterly honest about everything. This is so important in every aspect of our lives. So many times we try to lie to make our consequences of our actions easier, when in reality, lying only makes everything worse. Another important point was that there are two pains in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. It is so important to always be disciplined, but to take chances, because regret over an opportunity you didn’t take is so painful. Bill Currys’s speech was very empowering and was a great video to show to a class of young leaders.

• I loved Bill Curry’s leadership style. He discussed many leadership styles. He talked about leading with love. This implies to not only loving others but loving yourself as well. Loving yourself and being comfortable in your own skin allows you to love others effectively. Leading with love is so important for many reasons. Leading with love shows that you truly care about the people you are leading. It also allows the people you are leading to care about the work they are doing with passion. I am now a true believer that if you are not leading unless you lead with love and grace.

• Dawson Rose

In Bill Currys presentation, he compares the thoughts of child to how adults should think about themselves. Children are comfortable in their own skin, curious, and honest. These three aspects of leadership are important. Being comfortable in your own skin, or in other words, knowing who you are is essential to leadership. Without knowing yourself, you will never be able to lead others. The second aspect of leadership is curiosity. You should always want to be advancing and growing. The world we live in, especially with technology is always advancing. The last aspect is honesty. Being accountable, and holding true to your word is what defines a leader. A leader is someone you can count on, and will always follow through with what they say.

• Carson Clay

Bill Curry pointed out great points in leadership and really just life lessons. He was powerful, determined, and experienced while talking. That really impressed me and prove to me how much he wanted us to take away from his message. He also expresses how leaders shouldn’t short themselves and give up early. We should all give it our all in all we do in anything we do.

• Sydney Garrett

After listening to Bill Curry’s presentation, I found that being comfortable in my own skin and not letting others define me, resonated with me the most. I personally need to work on both of these points and apply them in my own life. I think that being comfortable in your own skin is very important for a leader because it just shows that they are not afraid to lead and are confident doing it. Not letting others opinions define me is a struggle, but I believe that every leader needs to be comfortable and confident with their leadership abilities so that opinions won’t affect how they lead. In conclusion, Bill Curry’s speech showed me the lessons that I need to apply to my leadership role and in my personal life.

• Bill Curry made a few points that really resonated with me. He talked about leaders always having time for the little people because no one is really a little person; all people have equal value, and as leaders we sometimes forget that. The people you’re leading truly need to matter to you. He also made the statement that we all change the world, but we need to make sure we’re making a difference for the better. People are influenced by every decision we make and we need to be conscious of that. Love you Meg.

• Alexxa Lewis

Former football coach Bill Curry has definitely raised the stakes for the many speeches given on Tuesdays, as this one has easily been my favorite. He speaks of such personable things and is very easy to connect with on everyday life struggles. One of the best points Curry made was that every leader should feel comfortable in one’s own skin. I believe this is very relevant to today’s world since everybody lacks self confidence at some point in their lives and is thrown off by social media and trying to better themselves. As a leader, showing confidence can not only strengthen your qualities, it can also improve your self worth. By being comfortable in your own skin, you are promoting body positivity and engaging in “the potential that you are capable of great things.”

• Serah Salau

The video we had watched Bill Curry was one of my favorite because he talked about something that relates with me. He talked about several issues but the one that was outstanding to me the most was following the crowd. This is an issue that mostly affects teenagers in our day to day lives especially with the technology. It happens so much nowadays that teenagers who actually aspire to be the leaders of tomorrow still follow the crown even after knowing that what they are doing is wrong or against the rule. If only they are taught about believing in themselves and not trying to be someone else because negative peer pressure is also a cause. I believe we are all leaders and making the right decision depends on us and the majority or the crowd that decides.

• Gavin White

Sadly I was out sick this Tuesday, but I had some friends tell me about what he said. For me, the point that resonated with me the most was being comfortable in your own skin. How I take this topic is he’s talking about self-acceptance and confidence. Being a leader, you have to think something good about your self. Most of all, you need to have confidence in what you are doing and in your self. As a leader, one of the best complements is that how you carry your person is very intriguing and impressive. I feel that Mr. Curry was trying to say that you have to be confident in what you do even if your not sure showing confidence could be one of the best assets a leader can have.

• Ashlynn Meyer

Bill Curry’s speech was truly exceptional. A part of wishes that I could have been there in person only because I think it’d be amazing to hear in speak in person. He knows how to hold himself very eloquently and deliver what he wants to say very gracefully. At one point in his speech he said, “Don’t lie to people; It demeans you, and sometimes it destroys them.” This sentence resonated with me, and I imagine a lot of other students. It’s a very simple idea, but more often than not we question people in leadership positions because we’ve seen so many people throughout our lifetimes not be truthful. Once you’ve been caught in a lie, especially as a leader, you can easily be deemed untruthful and untrustworthy, and nobody wants to get behind the person that can’t be trusted. This also resonated with me because I had a friend who recently had his whole career destroyed because someone lied to cover their own butt. Lying hurts your character, but can also destroy what someone has worked so hard to achieve. Curry’s speech was very relevant to what I’ve been thinking about recently and I enjoyed listening to him a lot!

• Bill Curry gave many points that could be applied to every aspect of life. One important point that I took away is to always be curious. Curiosity is important in all aspects of life because it will push you to take big steps and challenge yourself in so many ways. I also liked when Curry said to be comfortable in your own skin. This is so important because being real and true will overflow into so many different parts of your life. Being true will allow others to trust you as a leader and be vulnerable to you. Curry gave a very powerful speech and gave many important lessons to take and use in your life.

• Towards the beginning of his talk, Mr. Bill Curry talked about skipping his classes and struggling with his academics when he was in college. With being an athlete, he had to face intense athletic consequences for choosing to not attend his classes. Despite how hard his work out/punishment was, when recounting the experience, he said, “I had a football coach who loved me too much to let me destroy myself.” This statement Mr. Curry made resonated deeply with me in terms of my faith. One of my favorite quotes and truths is “God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way.” by Max Lucado. Lucado’s and Bill’s coach’s quote both show that there are people and a God who loves/s us so much and want what’s best for us so bad, that they will not allow us to continue living in mediocrity. And it might seem cruel or ridiculous to some, but it is truly for our benefit and because we have a purpose so great that it must not be wasted.

• Rebekah Clemmons

Bill Curry was a fantastic presenter and a great choice for one of our last Tuesday speakers. The video we watched may have been several years old, but the lessons in leadership that Bill taught were timeless. Lesson one: Be utterly comfortable in your own skin – know who you are and be satisfied with that. I think that confidence is so vital to being a good leader. Lesson two: be utterly honest and curious all the time. Honesty is crucial for integrity and a great leader is curious and has integrity.

• Bill Curry talked about the several key points concerning leadership and personal decisions. The most impressive part two pains in life which is discipline and regret. There are really a lot of chances in our life. However, we can may recognize our choice can be regrettable. I hope to be challenge myself even though my choice would be hard. I will challenge instead of regret. It was good lecture for me.

• Mykal Sanchez

A lot of things that Bill Curry advocated stood out to me but one of the points that stayed with me throughout the week was when he said that you make a habit out of either giving up or striving to do your best. He said that when your integrity is on the line you learn to overcome that struggle through practice (practicing not giving up and disappointing your integrity). One of the things I personally need to work on is creating good habits for myself. This includes being proactive when completing assignments and tasks for school, making time for hobbies that will benefit me in the future, and making time to take care of myself. All of these things can be put into practice right now so that in the future I will more than likely uphold my integrity because of my good habits. This is definite something I will be integrating into my daily/weekly schedule.

• Walker Holland

Bill Curry’s video was amazing and a great speech that I wish I could have seen live. Aside from that, the point he made about being comfortable in your own skin was spot on. He makes it clear that someone who is not comfortable with themselves is not going to be able to lead others. It seems like such an obvious thing, but I had never realized this before. No one wants to follow someone who is unsure of themselves and lacks confidence either. I Thank you Bill Curry for revealing this truth for me.

• Zachary Nemecek

Bill Curry’s speech delivered some very powerful points. When he said that the two pains in life are discipline or regret it really spoke to me. I feel like to be successful you need to be disciplined. There is plenty of regret in life, a lot of it can not be avoided. With an emphasis of discipline I think you have a better chance to avoid those situations. It really stuck with me because many of the opportunities I have been given have because I kept myself disciplined and on task. Even missing one workout is easy, but it takes mental toughness to get up in the mornings. Holding yourself accountable for your actions will allow you to not feel as remorseful because you know the effort you put in is the results you get back.

• Myawna Moore

One of the points that really resonated with me is basically being yourself and your best self to be a great leader. In leadership when you’re putting your best self first, followers can receive more from your leadership. He mentioned being comfortable in your best skin which i perceived as being yourself. Another point that resonated with me was when he talked about college and graduating was the hardest thing he had to do. This resonated with me because I already consider college to be hard and I see it as a great challenge. Though just as he stuck through it I know I can as well.