Lessons in Leadership – Week 3 – Chris and Amme Weilert

Chris and Amme highlighted a number of themes concerning leadership, business, and personal development. Provide your thoughts on one of the following themes and how this theme applies to you.

1. You are not entitled to your dream. Work ethic matters.
  2. Speak the truth and show the truth: Honesty and Integrity.
  3. Comparison is the thief of joy.

• serah salau

Chris and Amme Weilert encouraged me so much and talked a lot concerning leadership, business and personal development. Each and every theme mentioned by them brought a lot of reality to me. The one that was outstanding to me the most was honesty and Integrity. They mentioned that it is better to be honest and authentic and disappoint some people , than to exhaust myself trying to keep up the facade of perfection. It is good to not only speak the truth but also show the truth because as a leader we are supposed to lead by example and be ourselves. Being a competitor in almost everything, I feel like I usually I try to be the best to a point of trying to be someone else. And so I have to put all that behind and commit myself to what is supposed to be done. To sum it up, honesty gives you a chance of living a simple life without complications and a lot of explanation because the truth comes automatically.

• Mykal Sanchez

Although speaking the truth seems like common sense to many, it’s not as simple as it sounds to always remain truthful in what you speak about and proclaim. Telling the truth in even the most minuscule and seemingly unimportant situations can become a challenge to one who is unable to come to terms with their current circumstances and with their confidence in their own abilities. For example, if someone asks how you’re doing and you say fine you aren’t always being truthful. It’s easy to pretend like you are holding everything together when in reality no one really feels as if they have everything figured out.
    Even asking for help or not asking for help can be an act of deceit or untruthful. It’s not easy to be truthful about our situations, especially if we are going through a difficult time and are comparing ourselves to how we perceive people are going about their daily lives successfully.
    Remaining truthful in all situations makes it so much easier to be open and better communicate with our peers and mentors without causing any sort of disruptions or confusion. In the end, being truthful over deceitful or even being embarrassed is more beneficial to our well being and our future success.

• Sheridan Luis

Chris and Amme Weilert have been my favorite speakers thus far. My favorite theme they spoke about was how comparison was a thief of joy. I can relate to that statement I have always had a bad habit of comparison. It is so true it really does steal your joy, you are always asking yourself are you good enough makes me feel like I am always on edge. I know I am not very old and have a lot more things to learn but, as for right now I have stopped comparing myself because I have realized that everyone brings something different to the table. Our differences are what set us apart from each other but in a good way not a bad one.

• Brianna Jennings

Chris and Amme Weilert had an amazing presentation with great advice for us as leaders. Personally, I related more to the “comparison is the thief of joy,” statement. For many years, and still to this day, I often find myself comparing what I am striving for, to others in my same area. Through this constant line of comparing myself to, what I believe to be bigger and better than my progress, only causes negativity to cloud my mind. So, instead of comparing myself, I can learn from those people I look up to, just as Chris and Amme said to do. Once I begin to change that comparison into a learning opportunity, I am sure that my progress will grow and my success will be bigger and better.

• Austin Borjas

All of these topics stood out to me. I think as for being an older individual in this class I can see that many people have that “entitled” attitude. This could come across as rude or even arrogant. This is one of the worst qualities that someone can have. We should not come into any situation with this mindframe. If you believe in something we should work for it in every aspect in out lives. I tend to find myself in this mind set but I must remember to humble myself and remember that other people came before and set up those standard or expectations. To help me continue that same level of importance. I also think that dealing with we need to surround our self with other people that speack truth in our lives. I tend to run away when I hear something that might bring up confrontation but since learning about adulting or leading I need that truth in my life. This will help me become a better husband, leader, and man that I was meant to be.

• Ebonie Reyes

When Chris and Amme introduced the first theme, I thought about how I could relate to it so much. For example, my dream as of right now is to become a financial consultant but maybe it could not work out. Chris let go of his business in order to become partners with Amme and that worked out perfectly fine. It made me be open minded of the future now because any opportunity could come up. The other part of the theme taught me to always work hard for what I want. If I just slack off, I would never get to where I want to be in life. I always have to do my best and everyday I will get to my goal. At some points some obstacles could come up, but that will just make me stronger and better to reach my goal.

• Savannah Hughbanks

When you think about your dreams, often it can seem so far off that you might never be able to accomplish it. There is a way to accomplish that dream though. Hard work and determination is that way. This is very important to me. One of my dreams in life is to become a clinical psychologist. I want to be able to help others. I know that the only way to achieve this is through hard work and determination. Persistence and dedication. A quote comes to mind when I think of this theme- “You get what you work for; not what you wish for.” I think this statement is so true. If you live your life expecting everything to be handed to you, you most likely will not make it very far. To me, there is something very satisfying about working hard to accomplish something you want. The way you work to accomplish something can set you apart from everyone else and can help you through personal growth as well. This may lead you to accomplish even greater things than you originally wanted.

• Seth Harriet

Chris and Amme Weilert gave a very inspirational presentation on Tuesday that made me go into some critical thinking about my life. “You are not entitled to your dreams”, of course if you do nothing you will not achieve your highest of goals, but I think this statement means so much more than that. I think this statement is saying if you have higher than average goals then you must strive to work harder then the average person. The second part of this theme is “work ethic matters’’, work ethic to me before this presentation was working hard at everything you do, but is working hard the same as doing your very best at everything you do? To me working hard got embedded in my mind as being good enough to stand out, but in no means was working hard me trying my best. I think one thing that stuck to me was when Chris and Amme went into detail about waking up on a schedule. After thinking about this I understood that just a little thing like waking early everyday at the same time took determination and a good work ethic. I once heard a speaker say that everyday that you hit the snooze button your opponent is already awake. I think this can be correlated back to not being entitled to your dreams because working harder than the average person is what makes people stand out and reach their highest of goals.

• Ashton Joyner

“Comparison is the thief of joy” is a saying that I have heard throughout my life but haven’t been able to fully grasp and understand until the past couple of years. So often in our lives we keep our focus on what we DON’T have and how we can upgrade the things we do. This stance produces discontentment, jealousy, bitterness, and ungratefulness. There will always be a next best thing, a level up, a new iPhone. Once we learn to accept this truth and start living and appreciating our current ‘now’ is when we open the door for joy. When we start to notice and appreciate even the littlest of blessings in our everyday lives, our perspective shifts from one of lacking and discontentment to one of abundance and contentment.

• Erynn Coppedge

Overall, the points that Chris and Amme made were very helpful for future leaders. The point that stuck out to me the most was that we are not entitled to our dreams. I think a lot of the time we just expect things to fall in to place for us, without putting in the effort. There are some people in the world who didn’t really work for what they have, but for those who are the most successful, they had a very strong work ethic. For me, I know that my goals in life will take time and dedication. At times things seem impossible, but I know that if I keep a positive attitude, I will get there. There were several things that Chris and Amme talked about that can help me keep that positive attitude, one being “be prepared for impact.” I realize that life has its good and bad moments, but I can’t let those dictate whether or not I will achieve my goals, I have to learn and grow from them.

• Cassidy Riley

I really resonated with the first theme of Chris and Amme’s speech. Commitment, passion, and the work ethic to see the dream and the job through are absolutely foundational to healthy leadership and a healthy life. Chris said, “I want to deserve it, I want to earn it.” This really struck me. My dreams are not valued for what they’re really worth if their fruition is merely a handout. I have already experienced the gratification of hard work in going after a dream that wasn’t given to me and that I certainly wasn’t entitled to. If I had waited on it to land in my lap I would have wasted so much time and failed to thrive. Their talk encouraged to keep going after my dreams, shrug off any sense of entitlement, and put in the honest effort it takes to earn it. They were a perfect example of the satisfaction and pride that comes with working hard and earning your dream!

• Kylee Snell

The theme that I struggle with the most from Chris and Amme’s lecture is “comparison is the thief of joy”. Comparison often leads to jealous and anger. In everything I do, I want to be the best. With this mindset there is a lot of good that comes from it. It motivates me to put everything into everything I do, whether the task is big or small. There is also some destructiveness in this mindset. When you are constantly competing to be the best it is hard to not compare yourself to others and see the things that other people are just naturally better at than you. This causes a lot of insecurities and self doubt, even when you are doing the best you can. For me, it is important to set a task aside and look at what strengths I have and appreciate those instead of constantly dwelling on what strengths I do not have. There are always ways to build up your weaknesses, but that is not possible if you cannot acknowledge them. At times, it is important to compare yourself to those around you so that you can appreciate the strengths others have, instead of allowing jealously to blind your view of them.

• Shelby Denney

Chris and Amme Weilert had many wonderful things to say during their talk, I felt that they were very accomplished and both had very different styles of leadership. They both accurately portrayed a strong work ethic that led them into following and living out their dreams. The theme that I felt I most exemplified was a strong work ethic. As someone who likes a full and busy schedule I felt their quote of “you are not entitled to your dreams” although blunt was intended to motivate the students. This statement is very true, especially for myself who intends to attend Physicians Assistant school. This generation of students can sometimes find themselves privileged with the opportunity to attend a university which can make them feel as though they deserve the degree without the hard work. A degree is nothing short of a dream. You dream to graduate UCO but you have to work hard to accomplish it. Same can be said of my dreams to become a PA, there would be not opportunity with out many hours of hard work and dedication. I appreciated the Weilbert’s time and hope to see them accomplish their dreams and continued growth in Arbonne.

• Mide Cassaday

All points made by Chris and Amme were all very inspirational. Their words came from a place of experience and it was so thoughtful of them to open up and tell us all about their personal life experiences. One of their key points that was most important to me was that “You are not entitled to your dreams. Work ethic matters”. I’ve already seen that is the truth about life. I’ve already seen that the people that put in the effort and work towards their goals usually get to where they want to go. But, some fall short because they take the shorter road or the easy way out. I strive to become a licensed psychologist one day so I can help those that cannot help themselves, but I can’t wait on the sidelines in hopes that somebody hands me a PhD and a certificate that says “You did it!”. I need to learn, grow, and take time to appreciate all the knowledge that comes to me.

• Ainsley Bain

“Learn by failing forward” was one of the first things that really struck me while listening to Chris and his wife Amme. They both have such a unique and inspiring story of loss and gain, one that has an impact on not just them but their future generations. They touched on several topics, commitment and passion, honesty and integrity, and the tip to listen first. Commitment and passion are important in leadership and in all that you do in life work ethic matters. Amme talked about how she had felt unsettled which pushed her into her current passion and career. That change wasn’t supported by everyone around her, which touched on another idea: you have to work for it, and not everyone will get it. With honesty and integrity, the Weilerts talked about how important it is to be authentic all the time, it’s easier to be yourself and be honest that work twice as hard to hold up a façade. The third topic they discussed was listening first. I love this rule, and it is one that I am going to work harder to instill in my life. It is vital to build strong relationships, especially in leadership roles, and the easiest way to do that is to listen with your two ears. I also really appreciated all the books that they suggested we read, I have a passion for reading and I agree with Amme that those books can only help in building us into smarter, better people. Chris and Amme closed with the quote, “not all storms come to destroy your life, some clear your path,” which is such a good quote and can be applicable throughout your entire life. Chris also quoted Roosevelt, “comparison is the thief of joy,” which is such a true statement. If you are constantly comparing yourself to people around you, you will never be fulfilled with who you are, what you do, or what you have.

• Sydney Garrett

From such a young age, my parents have told me to follow my dreams. Unfortunately, we are usually not prepared to put in the hard work that it takes to reach those dreams. I strive to be a speech pathologist, however, I am a procrastinator when it comes to working on school work. I learned so much from the experiences that Chris and Amme talked about. They took an enormous hit when the stock market crashed, but they persevered by being prepared to put in the hard work to reach their goal of rebuilding their business. After hearing their story, I came to a conclusion that I need to build a better work ethic in order to be prepared to go to work as a speech pathologist in the future. They also said, “You’ll feel better knowing that you worked for it”. By the end of their presentation, I learned that we can all follow our dreams, but it’s the people that are actually willing to work for their dreams that are actually going to achieve them. Now I know that I can have goals to look forward to, but I do not have time to procrastinate on the work it takes reach them.

• Karina Cabrera

Out of the three main themes Chris and Amme discussed on Tuesday, comparison is the thief of joy would be the theme I say I relate to the most. As many may know, I am a twin. Growing up with someone who looks exactly like you is awesome, there is a strong bond there that both of us know will never break, but what made us distance ourselves the most is constantly being compared to each other by others, or even by ourselves. It was hard to prove to people that although we are similar in many ways, we are our own people. We do not mind that one can run a mile faster than the other, or that the other is better at working on equations, but to some people, it was a life-changer. At least it seemed like it was. It was the constant comparisons that made both my sister and I feel like we always had to fight and work ten times hard to be equal in everything so that neither of us would be told that we are not as smart as the other. With time and a lot of communication, we’ve shown people that we are twins, but equally strong women who have different strengths that serve both of us for our own purposes. For those exact reasons is why my sister and I are strong advocates when it comes to learning to love yourself for who you are. Everyone is different, but like Chris and Amme said: “Be authentic and be you”.

• Sydney McDaniel

I thoroughly enjoyed Chris and Amme’s positive-yet-realistic view on life and working hard. I agreed with a lot of it, including that you have to work for your dreams. As kids we are told we can be anything we want to be or do anything we want to do, but that’s only the optimistic side. We need to be cognizant that great things cannot be handed to us. If you want to be an astronaut you must go through years of school and additional training. It’s not only fair this way, but also for the better. When you finally achieve your dreams they’re so much more rewarding when you have had to put in diligent work for them.

• Riley Bishop

I felt connected and inspired during the section of Chris and Amme Weilert’s speech where they discussed commitment and passion and talked about how we aren’t entitled to our dream. I myself have many dreams, but I’ve never worked towards them as much as I feel I need to. I’ve always assumed, if it’ll ever happen, it’ll just happen so I shouldn’t waste time on it. Their speech proved me wrong, I am not entitled to my dreams and I can’t just wish for it, I have to work for it. They talked about how not everyone will support what I do, but it doesn’t matter because I need to do something that brings me joy. They also talked about being supportive of other people’s passions. How can I expect people to support my dream when I can’t support their’s?

• Madison Baugh

I was so inspired by Chris and Amee Weilert’s testimony when they spoke to our class on Tuesday. Something that they mentioned is how comparison is the thief of joy. This is such an important concept when it comes to leadership. I often have to remind myself that comparison is a vicious cycle. I find it so easy to give into comparing myself to others. The problem with comparison is that I am either lifting myself up at someone else’s expense or putting myself down unrealistically. If I compare myself to another person, I am essentially comparing apples to oranges because every person’s journey is unique. Amee mentioned that one of her friends started a business at the exact same time as her. Since then, Amee’s hard work has enabled her business to flourish, but her friend’s business has not had as much success. She mentioned that even if two people begin the same journey at the same time, there are countless variables that could determine who is more successful.

• Maggie Turner

Work ethic has always been very important to me. During Chris and Amme’s presentation, their focus on getting up every day and setting out to do your best stood out. I think it is very important to remember that each day is a fresh start and the more you put into each day, the more you will get out of it. This goes back to their main theme that you are not entitled to your dreams. You must work for things not wish for them. The things in life that challenge you and force you to work your hardest will only push yourself to be a better person.

• Kameron Kimball

One thing that I have always 100% believed in is exactly #1. You are not entitled to anything in life, I was taught nothing will ever be handed to you. So yes, I fully agree you are not entitled to your dreams. The only way great things can be accomplished, is by great work. You get in what you put out, so if you want a lot…. put a lot in. One good (or some people would say bad) thing I appreciate about myself, is I don’t ask anybody of anything. The reasoning for that, is because I want to get everything on my own. I want to achieve what I achieve, from myself and I feel this is exactly what Chris and Amme did. They reassured me of what I thought it took to be successful. Overall, they did an amazing job, and spoke of things I feel everybody needed to hear!

• Charity Lassiter

When Chris and Amy Weilirt spoke on how people are not entitled to their dreams I really agreed with that theme. Dreams are often just dreams if they are not worked for. Work ethic determines how you obtain your dream, if you work super hard and always put your best self forword you are more likely to reach your dream. Where as if you don’t always put your best in everything you do it makes it harder to reach your dreams. I believe this theme applies to me because I always strive to achieve the best that I can and to make sure I’m always growing. Growth and work ethic go hand in hand. Good work ethic grows with the person. As I gain more experience I grow, and the circle continues. I’ve always believed that you have to work for your dreams, that’s how this theme applies to me.

• saul perez

I thought that Amme and Chris ideas towards comparison is the thief of joy was interesting, because I agree comparing yourself to others takes away your joy. Everyone is unique and has different goals and different ways of achieving that goal. Just because two people have the same goal doesn’t mean they are both going to get there the same way or have the same success as the other person. Comparing oneself to other does more harm than good. We have to learn to be content with our achievement because there will always be someone else who has a better life or more achievements. Learning to be content with what you have accomplished is essential to living a happy life. I have personal compared myself to others, in school and work and I have realized that I tried to make myself like them and that made me unhappy then I realized that I had to stop because that wasn’t me. I realized that I couldn’t fill tier shoes because they were a different person than me and I had to be content with what I have done. Comparing yourself to others takes away the happiness from you life. Living each day knowing that no one else can accomplish what you have done, is the key to happiness.

• Caylee Ralls

When Chris and Amme said, “You are not entitled to your dream. Work ethic matters.”, it was as if a light switch flipped for me. It is such a basic concept but there are so many people who look past it. In our day and age there are so many entitled people. They feel as if they are owed success or owed fame for no reason at all. They don’t want to put forth effort and wonder why they never achieve anything. There is a strong lack of work ethic in our society. With me being a business major, I feel as if I am surrounding myself with people who have all the same dreams as me. The dream to one day own our own business. Most likely, not everyone will succeed in it though. The ones who do succeed will be the ones who work for what they want and have the correct work ethic to get things accomplished. Chris and Amme inspired me to become a harder worker and showed me I can accomplish my dreams if I put the effort forward. I want to thank Chris and Amme so much for taking the time out of their busy schedules to come and speak to us!

• Destiny Perez

The theme which I can apply the most to my daily actions would be comparing myself less to others. I must take a step back from comparing my worst day to someone’s best day. The successes of others should encourage you to work harder for your dreams. They should motivate you to strive harder for excellence and fuel you to positively better yourself. By comparing yourself you set yourself up to feel guilty or disappointed that you aren’t at the same spot as others. However, you must always remember that you are on your own path. I completely agree that comparison steals away from your own happiness. The success of others doesn’t take away any value of your own accomplishments.

• Brianna Taylor

I have always compared myself to others. I thought that by comparing my achievements to other people’s, I would work harder to surpass them. This secret competition between myself and my peers exhausted me as I always tried to do better, be better than them. However, after Chris and Amme’s presentation, I now realize the severe consequences of this mindset. I realized that this habit never helped me in the long run, it only degraded my own achievements and my self-worth. I believe, that I always subconsciously knew this to be true, but I convinced myself otherwise. Now that I have realized the error of my ways, I will try to focus on achieving my own accomplishments and not negatively compare myself to other people.

• Lauren Berry

Comparison is the thief of joy. A simple phrase, but one that is absolutely crucial for every generation, particularly my own. In my experience, this is something I wish I was told about 14 years ago. When I first started playing tennis, I enjoyed it. It was a fun way to get active, I had fun in practice, and the balls were so much fun to whack across the net! But then I got older, and it got competitive. I was constantly pressured to look at the person better than me, and often reprimanded by my coaches for ‘not being like them.’ And I understand that referring to others as an example can be useful; but the method in which comparisons were enforced were heavily focused on just the immeadiate aquisition of specific traits, and not the growing of lifelong skills. Eventually, the outward criticisms turned inward as the sport became a game of ‘being the best’ and not ‘try your hardest and grow from the setbacks’. Every loss was a potent stain in my mind. If my coach didn’t make me feel like a, for lack of a better word, failure, I would make myself feel like one. It was all about who was on varsity, who was getting what scholarship, who was taking private lessons where, and who was winning tournaments. It was severely damaging to my confidence, morale, and outlook on life. For 14 years, the joy of competition and sportmanship was sucked out of me. However, I have grown since then. I was lucky enough to join Westmoore Speech and Debate team, which taught me that I could be myself – losses and all – and still have fun. Winning wasn’t everything. Being myself and growing was everything. So, when Chris and Amme emphasized that comparison was the thief of joy, they were absolutely right. I’m so glad they helped me put my mindset into words!

• Jonghyeon Park

To tell the truth is important in my friendship.
    Because being a friend means being close. I am using a dormitory with a friend from Korea. We depend on each other and are supportive of each other. So I think it is wrong to have secrets or tell lies behind the friend back. I try to tell the truth in my relationships with people.

• Walker Holland

It was an honor to listen to Chris and Amme Weilert speak about their story and views on leadership. A strong truth they spoke of was that we are not entitled to our dreams. Most people you talk to that love their jobs, and say they are doing what they were made to do, would agree it’s not easy to get to that point. Chris and Amme made it evident at the importance of a great work ethic if you want to reach your dream. They said that instead of wishing for our dreams we should go out and work for them everyday. I couldn’t agree more, and would say that having that passion everyday is necessary to reach the end you want. It made a few giggle when they said that “Easy doesn’t pay well” and if money is the end goal for someone then they are exactly right. Whether it be a passion for something, a job, or even money, Chris and Amme told us a formula that has been proven over and over. Get up and go do it.

• Yaritza Romero

The theme that Chris and Anne Weilert highlighted that has always stood out to me and will always stand out to me is honesty and integrity. It will always “be better to be honest and authentic, and disappoint some people, then too exhaust myself trying to keep up the facade of perfection”. Going back to high school, when I started NJROTC our instructor highlighted 14 leadership traits we should abide by but the one he always ALWAYS emphasized was integrity. He would say that without integrity, we would never be great leaders. Everyone would not look at us the way we wanted them to because there would not be that trust there in the first place.

• Emma Lammers

Chris and Amme did an amazing job speaking to us over the topic of leadership. I felt all of the themes they mentioned will be very useful to my future. The one theme that really stuck out to me was how comparison is the thief of joy. I know all strengths have their positives, but they can also have their negatives. I feel my competitive strength has its downfall when it comes to this specific theme. Because I feel most things are a competition, I feel that I do compare myself to others. sometimes when I apply for jobs, play games, and other activities my joy is diminished because I’m constantly thinking that the others are better than me. I think remembering that I need to not compare myself to everyone will definitely be beneficial. Its good to know that I am who I am, and I shouldn’t have to compare myself to anyone because I am an awesome individual.

• Pierson Van den Dyssel

Chris and Amme highlighted a number of themes concerning leadership, business, and personal development. One key theme that stud out to me was that you are not entitled to your dream; what this means to me is that work ethic matters, and that you almost never get things easily handed to you. The reason why I believe that this stuck with me more then anything else is because all my life I have been facing the challenges that come along with being dyslexic. With that said I have always had a keen sense of how to put in extra work so that I can get to the goal that I was working for. After their time speaking to us all I am proud to know that I have been doing the right things all along and that hard work doesn’t just apply to someone with a disability but its something that everyone has to struggle through together to make the world a better place.

• Emme Douglas

I loved the fact that Mr. ans Mrs. Weilert talked about your not entitled to your dreams. You have to work hard for what you want. I have lived like that my entire life. I wanted to pursue basketball, so I worked hard all week on my own time and on the weekends to get better. I want to do interior design, so I work hard at getting good grades and getting my degree. You have to go above and beyond if you want to get to the next level. Hardly ever do you see people get everything they want handed to them. I am not entitled to play college ball or get my degree. I will do that by hard work, good work ethics, and the grace of God.

• Ashlynn Meyer

Chris and Amme Weilert’s lecture on Tuesday truly had an impact on my idea of work ethic and leadership. I love how they lead with integrity and honesty, and how they push that to be one of the key things to be successful in the business world. I value honesty and being real to yourself and others very highly, so I appreciate their emphasis on that.

The theme that really hit home for me was the theme: “You are not entitled to your dreams. Work ethic matters.” Mr. Weilert spoke to the fact that he thought we are a very entitled generation, and while I don’t completely agree with that statement about my generation as a whole, I think at this stage in my life that was something I needed to hear. I have big dreams for what I want my life to become, but I was reminded I have to put in the work and the hours to do big things and have impact on the world.

• Audrey Allard

The speakers this week were very knowledgeable on business and used their experience to share with us how we can be better leaders. I enjoyed listening to them. I loved the overall theme of working for what you want. It was very empowering and inspiring to me. They talked about staying true to your commitment and following your dreams even when people don’t understand at first. That encouraged me because it shows that it is possible to pursue your dreams. They talked about “failing forward” and then moving on. As leaders we are going to fail, but we can’t let our failures define us or keep us from going to the next opportunity. I liked listening to their story and I was very encouraged at the end of their time!

• kaylee sloan

The statement that spoke out to me the most was that “you are not entitled to your dream and that work ethic matters.” This was really personal to me because it reminded me that you can’t get to where you want to be without working hard. They really gave a lot of good personal examples over their leadership roles. This was a very powerful speech that showed how doing what makes you happy makes a big difference in how successful you are. I really enjoyed hearing Chris and Amme present.

• Dominic Graziano

Chris and Amme Weilert had great insight into the idea of leadership. Throughout their presentation, their stories had a common theme. The main theme that stuck out to me was the importance of persistency. Through every high and every low, they remained persistent in their quest for success. I find that really admirable because I view myself as a really persistent individual. Chris and Amme had strong and eye opening reasonings behind the importance of persistency.

• Mahfuzul Karim

Among the three of the themes provided by chris and ammy for me “Speak the truth and show the truth: honesty and integrity” implies for me. Because, from my point of view to achieve anything in this world or to do anything one must have honesty in themselves. I always try to speak the truth and follow the way of truth and in case of business or leadership honesty is the only thing we will sell to people. By showing integrity to people one can earn a people heart. For me that’s the only reason why I’m here in this world. That is how honesty and integrity applies for me.

• Joey Boschert

When considering Chris and Amme Weilerts’ presentation regarding their story of success and their overcoming of hardships, it was evident that their main points of commitment and passion, honesty, overcoming failures, and their overarching emphasis on listening first to mentors did truly affect their leadership styles and can be replicated for success. An entirely personal model, they were able to develop their own unique leadership style in which stylistic aspects were entirely personally developed, yet shared as their partnership in business and in life certainly was a defining aspect of their leadership style. What I admired most about their presentation was their willingness to share their vulnerability, as it was the moments in their lives such as their 2016 car crash or 2017 house fire that revealed their true strengths and guided them to further possibilities. I was also personally affected by their appreciation of personal mentors, this hit home for me as I draw many aspects of my leadership style from those in my life who I admire such as my rowing coach, my parents, and my aunt.

In terms of immediate impacts on my personal journey, I believe their presentation was a bit of a reality check for me, I’m now reminded to expect the unexpected. This can not only be applied to my leadership style, but also to my major and field of work, as in business you cannot develop a comfortable mindset, because times are constantly changing and one must be prepared for unexpected bumps in the road. In all, their presentation will certainly have long-term impacts on my leadership style, especially in the concept of expecting the unexpected.

• Ruby Edsall

My favorite theme Chris and Amme discussed was on our dreams and what we believe we deserve from them. I spoke with Amme briefly about horses, and I think this theme fits right into my biggest equestrian dreams. Not to horse-girl out, but I’ve been dreaming of some of my riding goals since I was nine years old. Most of them I still have not reached. Two of my biggest obstacles have been money and growing up–two things I cannot control as of right now. Accepting that my goals will take time has been one of the hardest things. We want to believe that if we truly believe and love our goals, we deserve them and will receive the tools needed to accomplish them; unfortunately, this is rarely true. Goals require work and passion, and even then, sometimes that is not enough. Sometimes our dreams are not meant for us, no matter how much we want them to be. I’d like to add to the idea that our dreams require work; sometimes they also require factors we can’t necessarily bring to the table, even with hard work. Sometimes talent beats us out–and that’s okay. If I work as hard as I can towards my dream and still find life presents very difficult obstacles, the truth is sometimes the dream must change. We have always been taught to never give up. I think every so often we shouldn’t necessarily “give up,” as we should change our paths. Working relentlessly for something we can never truly have will only burn a person out. We require rest. If you’re a leadership student reading this right now, remember this–breaks are important. I know we are all working so hard; just try to remember your dreams don’t require your energy 100% of the time. Tap out sometimes, yeah? (sorry for the spiel) I truly enjoyed our speakers Tuesday and thought they had some absolutely wonderful morals and ideas. I loved their honesty and open-mindedness.

• Jerome Brown

Chris and Amme Weilert had some great leadership views, but the most important to me would be “comparison is the thief of joy.” One thing I know is there are many people who compare themselves to others daily. People base their happiness on materialistic things and when others have something they don’t, they think that person has a better life than them. Sometimes people chase this dream to have everything and it drives them crazy, they try to get the fastest car, the biggest house, or the nicest jewelry. These types of people are always trying to gain the approval of others instead of focusing on things that matter like their family and happiness. Social media is a great example of comparison stealing people’s joy away. People post pictures in different states and countries or with new clothes and shoes and their followers think they aren’t as successful because they can’t have the nice things or go to nice places. Just because someone’s social media looks great, doesn’t mean their life is going good. Social media is all about what you let people see, so don’t compare yourself to others based on their Instagram because it will never go well.

• “Comparison is the thief of joy,” is a saying that most of us know and agree with. To me, this is much more than just an idea or a kind thought, it is direct truth. When we compare ourselves and the things we have done to others, we are setting ourselves up for hurt and defeat. Even in the times in which we may compare and end up better or on top, we have stolen the joy from our work by diminishing someone else’s efforts. I, myself, am not good with staying away from comparison, but I try to constantly remind myself of the harm that can come from it. I hope we can all as a society work to find value in how we are helping others, ourselves, and the whole world around us, not in how we are doing in relation to others.

• Grace Duvall

After Chris an Amme’s speech, I was very inspired by all their hard work and how they have reached where they are in life right now. Their statement that ” You are not entitled to your dreams. Work ethic matters,” resonated with me. I think this means that nothing in life is handed to you. The only way to get what you want in life is through hard work and dedication. Only giving half effort will only get you half your dreams. You have to give it your all and never slack. Chris and Amme definitely have put in the work to gain the life they have today. I respect their work and lifestyle and hope to someday have the same kind of drive they have.

• Myawna Moore

The theme you are not entitled to your own dream work ethic matters , to me means you have to work hard for what you want in life. In life you aren’t offered hand outs or easy routes to your dreams. This theme applies to me because i know hard work is essential in achieving what you want in life. I have a dream to buy my mother a mansion one day. This dream will take a strong work ethic to acquire . Any dream requires you to work hard to make it a reality.

• Hannah Morrison

With nearly everyone being attached to some sort of social media now, it’s quite easy to get caught up in comparing yourself, or your life, to the “perfect” pictures you see other people posting. In some cases we see them doing certain things we would like to do, and it causes a sort of resentment or sadness to be tied to seeing other people succeed. This is far from what we are supposed to feel when we see others doing well. Not to mention, the pictures we see daily are only a glimpse into what is actually going on in other people’s lives. We all have struggles we have to overcome during our journey, but it’s easy to choose to only make the successes public. Using these platforms to challenge yourself to be happy for those who are successful and challenging yourself to keep doing whatever it is that makes you happy or helps you reach your goals is very important. Don’t allow comparison to be the thief of your joy, but instead a reason to keep pushing yourself to grow.

• Gavin White

The theme that stuck best with me was comparison is the thief of joy. My whole life, I have been continuously comparing things. Whether it was me versus other people or two random things in the world. This thought process isn’t the worse thing in the world. For example, in every sport what I strived for was to best the guy in front of me. I used that to fuel me and make me better, which in turn turned out alright, but this thought process doesn’t end well in the context of life. I personally found the most joy and happiness when I stopped comparing and just focused on me and lived life to my fullest and not to just out due to the person in front of me.

• Mikaela Trenary

Chris and Amme began their leadership lecture with the phrase, “Failing Forward” which brings me to the point that stood out to myself the most, “You are not entitled to your dream. Work ethic matters”. This spoke volumes to a problem, I feel personally, that our generation struggles with: entitlement. I was both convicted and empowered when they both dove into the importance of developing habits, now, that will set us up for success later in life. We cannot get sit idly and expect our dreams to “work themselves out”. As leaders, we must establish a value on work ethic, be open-minded, and -in the words of Chris and Amme- “get over ourselves”. I loved how these influencers did not shy away from being blunt with us as young leaders. I gained new knowledge and thoroughly enjoyed sitting under their training.

• Bryce Bisel

I choose the theme, “You are not entitled to your dream. Work ethic matters.” because this is something I was taught growing up. Everyone has a dream, but you have to work for it to achieve it. someone can not just wait around thinking that their dream will just come to them. I was always told as a kid you get out what you put in. If someone wants to have their dream, then they have to put in the effort. The work ethic part is important to that, because the work you put in has to be consistent. Someone can not work hard for one day and relax the rest of the week thinking that they have done enough towards their goals. They need to put the work towards their goals to achieve their dream.

• Tyler Owens

The concept of comparison being the thief of joy resonated with me very strongly, because my life has always been defined by comparison. I grew up with two brothers, and I was the middle child, so every time I didn’t do something right I was compared to one of my brothers. Also, being a gay man, I have always been able to directly compare myself to my significant other because we are both men (as opposed to the fact that you can’t directly compare a man and woman). When you compare yourself, there is always something about the other person you can see that is better than yourself. In a homosexual relationship there is unfortunately no feasible way to see yourself next to your significant other without comparing yourself, so it requires an adequate amount of self-assurance and self-esteem. Every instances of this in my life fully exemplify the idea that comparison is the thief of joy; there will always be something about someone else that you find better than you.

• Brinlee lenochan

I believe the theme that applies most to me or the one that I got the most out of would be “comparisons is the thief of joy”. I believe that today comparison is huge. We, as humans, compare ourselves to each other, to strangers, and to celebrities. I do believe comparison can take away someone’s joy. For example, let’s say you set your best record or get the best grade you’ve ever gotten on a test, I’m sure you’d be thrilled right? Well then you see that someone else got higher grade or beat your record. You immediately feel like you could do better. I think it is so important, especially as leaders, to make sure that you focus on YOU and your own successes. Even if they are little successes, celebrate them. No matter if they are smaller than someone next to you. Be happy for you and your accomplishments!

• Sarah Huhman

Amme and Chris Weilert presented our class with various themes connecting leadership with business and personal development. The one that I related to the most was the theme that you are not entitled to your dreams, you must work for it. My whole high school career, rather it was Track and Field or academics, I knew I was never entitled to go to any school or receive any scholarships. I had to work and prove that I was worthy and willing to go to the next level to set myself apart from others. While it can seem tedious to work towards your goals, the results are worth all the effort. I got accepted into Uco and was offered the Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship, while being recruited for Track and Field as well. Knowing you achieved your goals from your hard work and not due to it being handed to you, is an indescribable feeling. It’s one theme I value highly with bettering my leadership skills and I will always strive to work towards my goals because of it.

• Callie Hambrick

Listening to Chris and Amme Weilert on Tuesday, there were many points in their session that made me think. If more people would take those thoughts into consideration, then the world would likely have fewer problems. Comparison is one the greatest issues, I think, that we have as a whole today. We look at what other people have or don’t have, and we make judgements based on materialistic things. This creates grudges, jealousy, entitlement, and more. If even just a small ratio of people in the world would be grateful and content with what they have, then I believe we would get along better, be more loving, and be happier all around.

• Abby Wright

Amme and Chris had so many inspiring ideas to share. I was especially motivated by the thought that you are not entitled to your dream. I believe work ethic is vital and they brought this topic to the table in a new way for me. Often times when I look at wealthy, successful people I don’t think of how they were before they got to be so accomplished. Amme displayed her grit throughout the process of her business idea and how she got to where she was. She talked about how you can’t wait for it, you must work for it. I am a very independent person and I love to achieve things in my life. hearing that even her husband had doubts and she continued to pursue her dreams is truly inspiring to me.

• Maison Smith

I couldn’t pick just one of these topics to talk about because they’re all such important themes that I have lived by in my own life. Chris and Amme have been my favorite speakers so far. All of their advice was practical and easy to implement into our lives. I have always been such a dreamer rather than a doer, and I think it will be incredibly important for me as I move forward to remember that you have to work for the things you want because nothing good comes easy. It will be important to keep myself grounded and focused on how the day-to-day work leads to the end goal. Honesty and integrity have been two traits that I’ve always looked for in the people I surround myself with, so it was really great to hear two people who’ve had such great success stress the importance of being honest. One of my favorite things they said was along lines of “I’d rather be honest, authentic, and disappoint some people than to exhaust myself trying to keep up the facade of perfection.” I have always struggled with letting people see where I fall short but hearing them speak has made me really want to work on being as authentic as I can about the areas that I need to improve upon. Another area that I’ve struggled with is comparison. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been looking around me and comparing myself to people whose full stories I don’t even know. I have been trying so hard in the last several years to stop looking around and just keep looking forward because I’ll never feel satisfied by my successes if I’m always looking at everyone else’s success. I got so much out of their speech that I called my mom as soon as class was over to tell her about everything that they said because it all really stuck with me. One of the things that had really stuck out to me was when they said not every storm comes to destroy your life, some come to clear your path. I can look back on my life and see where there were moments that felt bad at the time that ultimately led me to greater things. This week I’m starting on a new plan to read a chapter every morning, get up the same time, and push myself to create and keep a healthy schedule.

• Mason Rasmussen

Chris and Amme talked about many themes of leadership in their presentation. One of the themes that really stood out to me was entitlement. You are not entitled to your dream, and I believe that entitlement is a plague in today’s society. Everyday is a grind and a process to reach your dream. Having a good work ethic is the only thing that will get you to your goals. You can’t cheat the process, you will only get out what you put into the grind of chasing your dreams. Nothing will ever be handed to you and you aren’t owed anything by anyone. The faster you learn that, the harder you will work to accomplish your goals. Chris and Amme put on a very good presentation and I learned many valuables lessons from them.

• Speaking the truth and being honest are both necessary in order to lead a productive and healthy lifestyle. In the business world, short term gain may come from deceit, but in the long run, the loss is inevitable. When you compromise your morals for selfish gain, your reputation will suffer when you are found out. Employers don’t want to hire people that they’ve seen misconduct from, so sacrificing your ethics will have negative repercussions. Integrity is also a trait that is admirable in all paths of life and qualifies you not only for the occupation but for the companionship of the employer. Integrity and honesty are invaluable characteristics and don’t you forget it, Meg.

• Rebekah Clemmons

Chris and Amme Weilert emphasized strongly the importance of honesty and integrity, they said it was one of their most valued leadership traits. I like to think of myself as an honest person and try to be a person of high integrity, but being completely open when I may disappoint someone is difficult for me. I care about what other people think of me, that is one of my faults, so letting people down is something I hate doing. I have been trying hard lately to be honest even when it’s hard, even when I have to reveal the ugly and sinful sides of my life. The truth is that it does hurt me when I am honest with other people, but not only does it lift a huge weight off my shoulders, it also compels me to not make the same mistakes again so that I won’t keep letting other people, as well as myself, down.

• Nathaniel Siress

For me, the theme that stands out most is the first one: “You are not entitled to your dream. Work ethic matters.” As much as we like to tell people to follow their dreams, at the end of the day, nobody owes it to you for you to achieve your dreams. You can’t expect anyone to help you accomplish your goals, and it’s only your work ethic that you should rely on to have success.

• Kay Henley

Comparison is something everyone struggles with, but in my day to day life I have been good about not letting it get to me. However, when it comes to achieving any amount of success or completing long-term goals it seems nearly inevitable as a concept. I am pretty content with myself and my relationships, there’s no need or point for me to wish for what someone else has in that area, but to better myself at my craft I have to track where I am compared to others. I do photography and market primarily through social media, and it would be dishonest if I said I did not spend way too much time comparing my work to all of those who have achieved far more than myself. It is healthy to an extent to get inspiration and keep up to date with what styles are emerging, but far too often I find myself consumed by my perceived inadequacy. I know I should be more careful, and I am grateful for this reminder to do so.

• Kinsey Harper

Chris and Amme emphasized on many themes throughout their presentation. Their theme, “Speak the truth and show the truth: Honesty and Integrity” really hit home for me. I try very hard to be honest in everything I say and do. It is hard to be honest in hard situations but Chris and Amme expressed some tips on how to stay honest.
    They said to keep your commitments whether it is work, school, sports, or friends related. They also said to stay focused on the task at hand. This is very important because you can’t give 100% to tasks if you are trying to juggle multiple things. A phrase that I have thought about since hearing the Weilert’s presentation is “be authentic and be you”. Being 100% you in this life will lead you to be honest and to stay true to yourself and others!

• Lilian Smith

Comparison is an issue I have always struggled with immensely. I so often compare myself to other people’s outward appearances, relationships, jobs, successes, and happiness. This leads to disappointment every time. I will never be the best at everything, or anything, I do. However, being the best should never be the goal. It is so vital to remember that comparison robs me, and everyone else, from true joy. I have to remind myself daily that comparison is the thief of joy, so I am so glad Chris and Aimee spoke on this.

• The topic of work ethic is one that I hold to high regard. My dad always instilled the value of working hard in me, he taught these lessons best with his actions. Nothing in life should just be handed to you, you have to earn it. I started working early on in life, at around ten years old I started mowing lawns. Learning work ethic at an early age is important, even if it as simple as mowing a lawn for a few bucks. Seeing this helped me realize that if you work hard you will be rewarded. This crucial lesson helps lead to the realization that if you want to succeed at something you’re going to have to work for it. Creating an atmosphere of work ethic doesn’t just inspire yourself, it motivates others who are observing. My life is much more fulfilling when I work my hardest in whatever I am doing, knowing at the end of the day I tried my best and I pushed myself to new limits.

• Tyler Garcia

Chris and Amme Weilerts speech was very relatable and eye opening. “Easy… doesn’t pay well.” stuck out to me the most because I am a student athlete and also a business major already with a small business. When they talked about how effective networking is, it made me realize how great my “woo” strength really is. I think a lot of people, especially young adults get upset or frustrated when they fail, and that “failing forward” is a great way to encourage improvement. I also liked how they incorporated their own personal memories when they discussed “Sometimes devastation will set you up for something so much greater”.

• Amme and Chris Weilert were two very interesting people to meet. I really looked up to them and their stories because they carried the dreams when they were young that I now have. I have hopes and dreams of becoming an extremely successful businesswoman and leader. The story of how Amme went from being a school teacher to the founder of an extremely successful business empire stood out to me on an excessive level. I truly appreciated the stories and advice they gave us which helped with the emotional idea of running a business. They truly emphasized the concept of believing in your own dreams and to speaking your dreams into existence. After this lecture, I was able to go home with a little bit more hope and confidence within myself that with the right amount of self-belief, anything is possible.

• One theme that stuck out to me was comparison is the thief of joy. I believe that comparing yourself only hinders yourself from growing. There is only one you and you shouldn’t want to be anyone else. In my life I have always failed trying to be someone else and have learned that it is easier to just be yourself always. Amee and Chris really helped my remember to remain true to myself and learn the importance of self love. All in all I feel that college served as a reset button to truly find who you are and love yourself for it.

• Mackenzie Sullins

I loved the point that Chris and Amme Weilert made on how comparison is the thief of joy. I find myself comparing myself to others quite often, and it was a breath of fresh air to hear that it is not always the healthiest. People work at different paces, and that is okay. Just because someone seems to be getting further than you, does not mean that you aren’t doing a good job, as long as you are putting your best effort forward. I feel as though many of us like to look at others and think “if only”, but to go back to another point they made, you must work to get to that position as well. Just because you should not compare yourself and your success to others, does not mean that you shouldn’t strive to have the same success that they have. It is all a matter of balance between hard work and self confidence.

• Carson Clay

I really enjoyed hearing Chris and Amme Weilert speak to us. Of all the notes and advice given to us through the speech, I really like the “comparison is the thief of joy” because it is so true. I’ve hears similar sayings but didn’t comprehend it as well as I did when they sated it. It’s actually very true. When people begin to compare and try to act like other people, it has a very high tendency to rip the joy that you do have in your life. Following people can turn out really bad in ways such as being called out, not being enough, and just because you can’t just follow someone for the rest of your life. Saying that, most people including myself don’t compare themselves to others often, but sometimes we do and from here on out people should just remember this saying to remind them that it’s not the best idea.

• Dawson Rose

Chris and Amme Weilert gave an amazing presentation on leadership. Out of the three major points from the presentation the one I feel applies the most to me is working hard, or rather easy doesn’t pay well. Two of my top five strengths from strengthsfinder directly relate to this mentality. The first one being achiever and the other one being responsibility. The achiever strength applies to this because with this strength hard work and also being busy and productive allows me to not only lead, but feel I am working at my maximum. The other strength is the strength of responsibility. This is taking ownership and knowing that what a person says will be done will be done to the best of their abilities. I believe it is important to work hard for all things in life, and nothing will be handed to you.

• Heather Maker

Often times people compare their life to the “highlight reel” that people flaunt on social media, and that is the thing, its a HIGHLIGHT REEL. No one posts the hard times, the sad times, or the stressful times, because they do not want to be seen in that negative light. One thing that Chris and Amme Weilert touched on was, “Comparison is the thief of joy”. One thing that they also touched on is, “Do something that brings you happiness because everything changes so fast”. Both of these quotes go hand and hand with one another. The best way to be a leader is to lead yourself into happiness without the fear of missing out or comparing yourself to others. Other people do not lead the same life as you and will not go down the same path; however, that does not mean that they will not go through the same trials and tribulations that everyone does. Everyone is human and it is important to remember that when stepping into a leadership role.

• When I was in high school, my principal always talked to us to be honesty and integrity. Even though if I talk the lie, no one knows that I say the lie. However, I believe the false come out into the open like a politician. I hope to be pure like water.
    I hope to be honest and integrity until no one can find a flaw.

• Alexxa Lewis

Chris and Amme Weilert are individuals whom many can look up to; they’ve suffered through some of the most traumatizing events and still managed to be where they are at today. In their presentation, they spoke of three different themes and what they meant to them personally. I feel the most connected to the theme of how comparison is the thief of joy. In life, you shouldn’t feel as if you need to compare yourself to others. It just creates a sense of selfishness in a way. I believe we should all be grateful and humble about what we receive and already have in life. By comparing yourself to someone who is better than you or has something nicer than you, you are eliminating the sense of joy you once had for yourself and replacing it with a feeling of want. I was always raised to praise those who accomplish good things in life, but to also praise yourself once and a while.

• Mason Lance

The main theme that I loved was “You are not entitled to your dreams. Work ethic matters.”
    I am a firm believer that you have to work for the things you want in life. No matter what it is you have to earn it. Not everyone can have things just handed to them in life. Everything you do there is always someone doing the same thing trying to out do you. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

• Tyler Boykin

The theme of, you are not entitled to your dream, speaks to me on a personal level. I work at a certain job at a certain location where a lot of people who are seeking to work there have been given everything in their lives and never had to work for it. Most of the people lack work ethic and end up quitting after 2 weeks of working. I came into my job with the football mindset, which is I have a role on this team no matter how small and I have to be there for the team to fully succeed. People without work ethic don’t know how to face adversity, when faced with adversity they quit. Maybe it’s because they haven’t been faced with much adversity throughout their life, but to be honest dreams don’t come easy. They come with sacrifices, that have to be made to fully achieve your dream. For me though reaching my dreams/goals isn’t good enough for me, i’m always willing to make personal sacrifices to reach a higher dream/goal.

• Zachary Nemecek

I personally feel with the second them of speaking the truth and staying honest. It always show your character as a person if you follow through with what you say and don’t lie to others. Honesty is one of the core values for the Army so it is something I must withhold within myself. Along with being honest you must ask people to forgive you after your mistakes, it is a sign of responsibility and owning up to your actions. The type of person you are seen as is completely up to you as long as you hold yourself to standards.

• Yiel Lee (HwiYeol)

Mr.Chris and Ms. Amme Weilert gave me 3 lessons in the class.
    1. If I want to do something, I should behave for it and do my best to make it. And Mr. Chris said that easy things don’t pay well. I also thought that I have to find my happiness of passion because life is too short to do everything.
    2. I should tell the truth all the time as a leader. Even if I lied to people, I’m still me. He said that we should be honest all the time.
    3. Listen first. People usually like to tell their stories but, Ms. Amme Weilert said that leaders should listen to people sincerely.

• Lynh Hoang

Chris and Amme Weilert were great evidence that if you work hard and continue to be determined, you will get to were you need to be. Although they gave a lot of useful advice, I think one that affected me a lot was “comparison is the thief of joy.” They talked about how when you are wasting your time comparing yourself to other people or other performances, you end up not learning anything and getting nothing out of it. Constantly comparing yourself with the people around takes the passion out of your and then you’re left with nothing but anxiousness. I’ve always been a perfectionist and competitive in anything, and I always see how I lose focus on the reason why I’m doing the task in the first place. Like in photography, If I focus on what others are doing or the attention they’re getting and I’m not, I lose joy and the love I have for it. If you want to improve and be better you must challenge yourself to get better, not be better than the people around you.

• Karina Cabrera

During Dr. Blackburn’s presentation, the story that carried on with me the most is the story of Clara Luper. Clara against all odds decided to take a stand for what she believed in. Clara began her movement in the south of the United States, where she knew it would be difficult to change the minds of many and was not guaranteed a positive outcome, but It is because of an extraordinary leader like her that people with different skin tones are given equal service.
    I am not certain that there is a specific manner to prepare for the future, given that we do not know what will occur. What I do know is that you can train yourself to maintain an open mind at all times. Do not judge before being informed, and most importantly, listen. For you to make a difference, you need to be well informed of all the possible outcomes, listen to what your peers/followers are saying and then reasonably approach the problem. Yes, there will be times where you feel alone, but that is why it is important to help others see your vision. With characteristics as such, you will have the helping hand of others to make a difference. Like said before, “A leader is not a leader without their followers.”