Week 14 – Lessons in Leadership – Rhonda Hooper

During her presentation, Rhonda discussed moving away from the status quo and emerging from stereotypes which may be placed upon you. How can you practice avoiding average or status quo solutions/expectations and also rise above stereotypes related to your generation, gender, or other groups which you identify?

• When I became a father I was inducted into the incredibly harmful stereotype of the teenage single father. When most people hear the words “teenage dad,” they immediately think of irresponsible, absentee boys who probably only contribute the occasional child support check to their kid’s future. I’m not that kind of dad. I love my daughter more than anything in this world. Spending time with her and being a dad instead of just a father are two of the most important things in my life. I’m not the stereotypical teenage dad. I show that through my actions. Whether or not other people see me breaking that stereotype isn’t important to me. All that’s important to me is that my daughter sees me breaking that stereotype, and that she knows I love her to the moon and back.

• Reply
    Hannah Morrison

One of the best ways to strive for above average expectations is to stay consistent by setting goals. I always strive to set high goals, and then work hard to achieve them. Getting that sense of satisfaction fuels behavior and motivation. The only way to really dispel stereotypes is to break them. By achieving goals, you prove yourself to others, even though it should not have to be necessary.

• Making sure you are understanding of others in every situation. In doing this you always are able to rise above stereotypes because you are not looking at the categories people fall into, but who they are as individuals. It can often be hard to rise above stereotypes others place for you, in many situations it takes someone with immense talent and determination to prove people’s preconceptions wrong. It is important to not allow what others perceive your limit to effect the goals you wish to accomplish. Despite what obstacles you receive, if you’re passionate and persistent you can over come them through hard work and time.

• Reply
    Kallie Daniel

Avoiding the status quo and also rising above stereotypes is hard, but only you can do it. One of the best ways I have found is to make a list of your goals and dreams. Before you go into a new job or start a new college class, start a list. What do you want to accomplish? This will give you a clear idea of when you meet average expectations or when you start to fit into the stereotypes. Only you can challenge yourself to rise above stereotypes and the status quo. It is a daily choice to give 110%!

• Reply
    Haleigh Himes

One stereotype I commonly in association with my generation and millennial, is that “we want everything handed to us.” Which I can say for some is the case. However, my father thankfully instilled in me the principles of a good work ethic and the importance of working hard for the things you want on your own. I think this is one way I have avoided common stereotypes, I want to prove other people wrong. I want to show them that our generation is not lazy and entitled, but that we are driven and humble. Like my father, when I look back on my life I want to be proud of all the things I have accomplished, whether that involves my degree, being a homeowner, a parent, etc. I want to make it on my own.

• Reply
    Alaina Webster

I think every woman in this class can say they have experienced beating stereotypes in their own personal way at least one time in their life. But the one thing I was taught about stereotypes growing up was that you have to learn to just not care what anyone thinks. The way you act or present yourself should be decided by you. How you want other people to see you solely depends on how you view yourself and how you to choose to present yourself. Forget “stereotypes”, they have 0 effect on you and you should focus on being yourself, being confident, and respecting others. If you always do the right thing then the right things will happen to you.

• One of the most impactful forms of steering from the status quo is learning to not care what others think of you. This is difficult, believe me I know, but by being your own person and what is right for you and your community, you begin to think less of what others think of you. Even before Mrs. Hoopers speech, I noticed how glued my generation is to their devices. I try to resist using my phone in silent situations, when I am waiting for something, or I am just bored, and it is very difficult. However, by prating it more and more, I will become less dependent of my phone and be an example to others that it is possible to let go of our devices for periods of time.

• Reply
    Phoebe Barnes

I often try to avoid stereotypes for obvious reasons, but also because I myself have been stereotyped. Stereotyping is labeling someone or a group of people you may not even know and as a leader that is not something you should do. It is not what a good leader purposely practices. Another good way to help prevent stereotyping is to open up conversations- get to know people, prove those who believe in stereotypes wrong, and so on.

• Reply
    Xaviera Burton

A way to avoid living within the boundaries of stereotypes placed upon me personally is to do my best to step out of those boundaries. And I feel this could be the same approach for various others also. and not to step out of those boundaries for others and to prove something but to go and strive to step out of the confinements for yourself. if you are striving to better yourself it impacts your mentality and creates progression. so to me that is a form of practice. be aware of the stereotypes placed upon you and decide what it is you place upon yourself and work towards the goal you want.

• Reply
    Anna Schmidt

I think a very prominent status quo existing among women right now is around beauty, and the standards which exist around beauty. Our society generally accepts the idea that a woman’s value largely depends on her weight and general appearance. Women are told, to be good enough, you must be thin, pretty, and feminine. In the midst of all of this, women are suffering tremendously to keep up with the constant demand for them to appear “beautiful.”
    In every way that I can I am trying to defy the idea that my value is determined by my beauty. Each day I step outside of the status quo and decide that it is okay if who I am does not match up to what a woman is “supposed” to be. I think this action is important for all female leaders to take. When we begin to more widely represent women in such a way that suggests there is not just one way to look, our general population of women will begin to believe that. I think that shift will lead to more empowered women, and thus more powerful female leaders who can go out and affect change.

• Reply
    Kennedy Staton

I believe that moving away from the status quo is extremely important. It can sometimes be difficult to stray away from the normal expectations, but it is not impossible. It will always be beneficial to go above and beyond to stand out. Stereotypes are placed on everyone in some way, but they do not have to be true. I hope to avoid the stereotypes that come with being young and a female by proving them wrong.

• Reply
    Mandy Woodward

Stereotypes play a huge role in the way our society defines people, whether it be because of gender, race, or what they are involved in. I think the best way to rise above the status quo is to just prove people wrong by being yourself. Once they see you, they probably already have a stigma towards you, so do what they do not expect you to do or act. One time I was stereotyped was being in Student Council throughout high school. At my school, StuCo was rumored to be the stuck up, popular, rich kids that only cared about their opinions. They would make these assumptions about us without ever trying to see what we were really like. Once they got to know us and came to our events they realized we were opposite of what they said we were. Stereotypes are probably always going to exist, but just try your best to show your true character and personality to defy them.

• Reply
    Kamryn Johnson

There are many ways a person can fall into the status quo or settling for average. I think the best solution to that is to make sure you don’t become complacent with whatever you are doing. Whether its complacency in a work, school, religious, or recreational setting, complacency is the best way to fall into the status quo trap. As individuals we need to constantly keep challenging ourselves in many different realms. We need to find new perspectives about things and maybe even new things that interest us. The best way to overcome a stereotype, is to challenge and diversify yourself in every area so that no one has the ability to put you in a certain category. As far as overcoming gender, generational, or other stereotypes, the best way to rise above those is to not listen to them. The best way to defy a gender or generational stereotype is to set your mind to do whatever it is they say you can’t and do it. The best way to rise above it is to succeed and give them a reason to not put you in a category based on gender or generation.

• Reply
    Jordan Broiles

In trying to combat the stereotypes that are placed upon me I try to educate and understand that the historical ramification of why someone may think those things. I’ve learned over the years that everything is connected so someone does/say/view something in a particular way because of how they were raised and also their surrounding. I think that’s why it is important to continue to, not only have diverse classes that discuss particular groups but, also have intentional conversations about negative stereotypes regarding those particular social groups.

I don’t personally have the power to change every person mindset about me. As long as I continue to be true and authentic to myself, I don’t have room to take into account what is being said or viewed about me.

• Reply
    Lincoln Lehew

The world we live in sets stereotypes for everyone especially if we are leaders. Leaders always have some type of stereotype, sometimes good or bad but I have experienced both. No matter what gender, race, or group you identify with is a personal decision and it is wrong for other people to judge based off your decisions. My best advice for avoiding these stereotypes are to live like you want to live and block the people out who are trying to get you to where you need to be. If they are a negative impact in your life they shouldn’t be in your life at all. Rising above stereotypes can be difficult, but no matter what you have to keep your head high. No matter what someone will think about how wrong it is you are apart of something that they wouldn’t want to be associated with. Me personally, if someone brings me down it drives me to become better. I try to twist the situation and prove that status quo wrong.

• Regardless of what you do, more than likely there is some sort of stereotype that has been placed upon you and one way to avoid just meeting the basic expectations that coincide with these stereotypes is to consider how your solution will better those around you, rather than how it will affect yourself. As a women, stereotypes are placed upon me from simple tasks like eating, meaning that I am “supposed” to only eat things that will enhance my figure, all the way to my performance doing any particular task. It is easy to become small in an overwhelming setting, especially with stereotypes being placed upon you so publicly, but it is important to stand up and make the bigger decision not only yo benefit you, but to help every individual around you that may not have the strength or confidence to stand up and make a change.

• Reply
    Olivia Sharp

In order to push through and rise above the stereotypes, and status quo solutions/expectations, I believe that staying true to yourself and who you are is important. Hold confidence in yourself, so that you don’t change who you are in order to fill the spaces that stereotypes expect.

• Reply
    Graysen Boyer

Growing up, I was terrified to show who I truly was. Although I was above average intelligence for my age, I did not want to be known as a nerd. I played dumb and purposefully failed classes to impress people around me. However, as I grew older I realized that my learning was more important than my popularity, and I began to show my true self. In the end, this ended up working out well for me. I became friends with the people I idolized previously because they needed my help in classes, and I needed their help in learning how to interact in social settings.

• Reply
    Riley Jensen

I think the biggest way to override the status quo or average for yourself, your position or career is to challenge and override the ‘what ifs’. If there’s something that interests you, an opportunity you want for yourself, or something else, overlooking the fears and stepping out in faith and assurance can almost always prove to have a positive result. Either you succeed, or you learn, or both.

• Reply
    Alexis Peeper

What is being average? I do not believe in labels that define how good or bad you are. I do believe in effort and that is directly proportional to how well you will do. Stereotypes are just excuses to why you can not do something. People will use that as a crutch and compromise their potential. My daily mindset is to take all of my fears and run straight at them. For example next semester I will be a lab assistant for eight hours a week as a freshman. While doing this I will be facing my fear of becoming complacent and defining the stereotypes of me being too young to be a good lab assistant.

• This is an amazing topic to think about what we can do to seeking a social change in our generation. If we want to achieve something that is not achieved yet, we have to do something has never been done before. I think that first, it is important to recognize our values and what is our objective and then we can innovate without forget which is our focus. It is possible to innovate in public policies by perfecting internal processes for management decision-making, improving methods that encourage citizen participation, and introducing new transparency criteria. The important thing is to be encouraged and face processes of change. I think that I can rise above the stereotypes related to my gender and generation learning more, and demonstrate that all the things are changing; moreover, Women are also competent in all fields that we propose. Furthermore, demonstrating that young people are interested in the future of our country.

• How you avoid stereotypes is avoid them. Live up to the things that are positive and overcome the negative ones. There isn’t some special method you follow, if it’s wrong you show that it’s wrong. The question on its face is bizarre, like asking “how do you avoid being in that room.” You can say that you never walk by it, that you don’t think about the room, a hundred other answers, but ultimately the only answer is you don’t go into the room. If you’re a Millennial and people consider you addicted to technology, unwilling to try hard, all these things, just disprove it by not being those things. Anything else is a facade to avoid being perceived as those negative things. The question is phrased like there is a profound answer to the question, and I won’t say that there isn’t, but I’m not sure what it would be if there is one. I’m also unsure that I believe such an answer exists. It feels like me telling someone suffering from depression not to be depressed like that will fix the problem, but there it is.

• For me, as a leader, there are three steps which I will use to avoid status quo solutions/expectations. The first of them is inviting all perspectives. Invite different perspectives from within your organization to examine issues and be thoughtful about whose perspectives can really lend a fresh new point-of-view. The next step is asking more questions. When a person comes to you and has an issue with the current status quo, take this opportunity to get curious with them and ask questions likes: Is there something that isn’t working? Why isn’t it working? How can we fix it? It’s a simple adjustment that can make everyone more engaged. The final step would be ready to help the change. If a team member brings a new idea to the table, keep an open mind. If your response is one of resistance and you’re quick to say no, the other person may feel dismissed and you may be missing out on a real opportunity to make an improvement. Consider all variables, including the resources you have available to implement the idea, and explore all solutions you can to make a positive change possible. As a leader, it’s your responsibility to both challenge the status quo and be fully receptive when your team brings something new to the table.

• I believe that one of the best ways to avoid status quo practices would be to surround yourself with people that act and think different than you. By doing this you avoid the idea of groupthink in different scenarios because many different perspectives are given. You are less likely to conform to stereotypes when this is the case. When looking at ways to avoid stereotypes, I would also suggest that you first avoid making jokes about stereotypes. Even when you choose to make jokes about stereotypes it gives them truth to some people. You might be making jokes about yourself, but it still contributes to a culture of conformity. The last way that I suggest is using these stereotypes as a motivator. When I know that it is not in my stereotype as a girl to maybe hold a certain position or do certain activities, it makes me want to prove others wrong. If someone says I “can’t” or “shouldn’t” do something, I will always feel the urge to try anyway. A good example of this would be like me being Buddy the Broncho. Most people think that the mascot has to be a guy, but I like to prove them wrong. Setting an example by defeating these stereotypes can often give others a belief that they can do the same. That is how we rise above stereotypes!

• Reply
    Angelina Sibimon

Almost everyone is faced with a stereotype which they have to overcome at least once in their lifetime. How people cope with it is also very different among everyone. Some people choose to ignore it, while others use it as a step to becoming better. I believe the best way is to simply rise above it; which is easier said than done, but it can be done.

• Reply
    Brenda Martinez

Responding to the questions, according to the Status quo is to maintain or change the existing social structure and values. According to this I would avoid not following the steps of people who only hurt a whole nation, young people who encourage discrimination against others and promote good things such as giving food to the most needy, not allowing the war and one way or another try to cope with a daily life and with a leadership mind as people led a life before the war. Also, I could avoid stereotypes by avoiding these points, “There is no ‘me’ in the team, No silly questions, Give 110 percent, Every opinion counts and Failure is not an option.

• As a leader, I want to leave a legacy that matters. In order to accomplish that goal I have to rise above the status quo and stereotypes of my generations. I want to be the best, participation trophies don’t matter to me because I want to improve not because of my ego, money, or fame but because the game is fixed to fit in, when I can be the one to stand out and rise above. I will rise above by being discipline with an intent, understand my why, be all in, and engage with a support system. One of the reasons I know I am rising above is because I control my own decisions and have the ability to walk away.

• I would try to answer about how to avoid the Status quo giving rise to good options, opinions, and keeping them in the regime of a country before the war like? observing and improving his actions and avoiding everything bad possible to put it into practice in the world I am living. The stereotypes will try to solve and not let it continue with the discrimination of the race, color, sex or age of a person.

• Reply
    jasmine blue

how i can raise above the status quo and be better than my sterotypes is by being the opposite. i can give them something that no one expects from an educated black girl. they dont expect me to graduate, but instead end up pregnant. they dont expect me to be independent, but depend on a man to do everything for me. i will get my college degree and not have a child in college. i will work for myself and be successful without a man. i can also lead people who feel the same as me and who want to help me spread the word. i can make a difference everyday.

• Reply
    Makenzie Hill

Here’s the thing: there is always going to be someone with expectations, opinions, thoughts, etc. about our generation and the things that we do. We spend too much time on our phones, we don’t know how to hold a face to face conversation, we live for instant gratification… While these make me true, we also have many positive things to offer. Some things we really just cannot avoid. We rise above by choosing ourselves over others. No one knows you better than you and no one knows me better than me, therefore we have to put both our self worth and our self care over everything. We can’t be stereotyped when we choose to stand in confidence with everything we are and not conform to what everyone else wants us to be. At the end of the day, we are all on this Earth with a specific purpose and that is where our identity is found.

• Reply
    Austin Markham

I have always walked down “the road less traveled on” and succeeded in anything I did along that journey. My grandparents and parents always taught me to go where I can stand out, and I did just that. I don’t want to be “normal”, whatever that may be. As an artist our job is to stand out and I believe as leaders we are meant to stand out and rise above the top of the top. I continue to do this and so far, its working in my favor.

• At present, there are many stereotypes against youth. Many revolutionary groups such as gangs have increased in number and this has caused society to see youth as a growing problem, forcing governments to create more severe laws against young people who violate the laws. As young people, we must try to be in constant positive thinking and above all not stop doing good and demonstrate positivism. There are many groups which provide help to the current youth so there must always be in our minds the desire to be better in everything we do and in this way achieve changes in society that show that young minds are capable of creating development in any aspect.

• Reply
    ABDULMALIK SHEHU

I know its difficult sometimes to rise above stereotypes so i will use my support system (friends and family), i will need for them to motivate me, encourage me to rise above expectations. Secondly, you avoid pressures by understanding that nobody is perfect, you are not alone,but you can make a difference by ensuring you do the right thing, staying true to yourself and expectation in order to break barriers in your career positively so you can pave the way for other people.

• Reply
    James Limbaugh

Our generation has received a lot of criticisms for the lack skills we’ve learned. Our generation is drastically different than those before us because of our relationship with smart phones. Because the iPhone came out around 2008, our generation was the first to truly grow up with them. Socially, it has damaged our abilities, however there are many positives to our unique intelligence. The world today runs through social media, and no one understands that than generation Z. If we as a generation can prove to use that skill effectively, we can overcome the stereotype that we are entitled and lazy.

• Reply
    Elizabeth Plunkett

I think that a bad habit our generation has fallen into is the practice of just being good enough. We are still successful, but only to a certain extent. The best way to overcome this status quo is to constantly go above and beyond. For me, there are days when I feel really overwhelmed, busy, and stressed out and I think to myself, “Let’s just hurry and get this done,” and I do not even try to perfect what I am doing; I just make sure it is finished. However, if I would push myself a little harder and tell myself to keep going, I could be even more successful. Therefore, the best way to avoid being on an equal level with everybody else, I will strive every day to go that extra mile.

• Reply
    Renzo Villanueva

Being a part of the minority and also being low income comes with so many stereotypes since I was just a little kid in elementary. I never was a part of the status quo and the expectations for me were not really present in my early ages. Still I would not have wanted any other life than the one that I have. My life being the way it is set up has gave me an advantage for the present and also the future to come. I learned from all my experiences. and now I am better prepared with racist remarks and stereotypes. Growing up I learned from my parents the best way to deal with all these thing, and that is really just turning the other way and proving everyone wrong. My parents always showed me that there is never just one path to success and I have to learn to go in the right path. To me people that dis-credit others and give other people unfair opportunities are the lowest people. I would never let other peoples beliefs get in the way of my success and I will always believe in myself through everything in my life.

• Reply
    Tucker Pawley

I believe if you believe in yourself and are confident there will be no worries on meeting the average or status quota. Because if you trust in yourself then you will want yourself to be great and not average which is way above the average status quota. No matter who you are what color you are male or female and you work as hard as you possible can sooner or later people will understand how hard you work and then believe in you as well. Bottom line is work your hardest as possible don’t ever listen to people that are negative and your great work will pay off in the long run!

• Reply
    Karol Montoya

I feel as though you can practice avoiding these average solutions by showing you are the package. Just like every speaker that has spoken to us: learning never stops. You act like yourself and do things only you would do. There is always another step to better yourself. No one can avoid the stereotypes that are set for them, but at least you can show who you are as an individual and hope that others follow. You rise above knowing you are the best, and if you’re not, at least you know that too! No matter generation, gender, or anything else, it is always your choice to overcome these obstacles set in your path.

• What I can do to practice avoiding average or status quo solutions/expectations is to: first and foremost, I have to be able to know what the status quo is. Second, I have to take the courage to challenge the way it has always been by thinking of ways of how it could be. Third, look for and propose ideas that could make what’s already better, even better. I need to have the mindset the does not settle for the bare minimum, rather to continually look for ways to improve. To be able to do this, I would need the help of my teammates or co-workers. I would need their opinions and feedback on the issue/problem, and also their suggestions for improvement. Also, in order for me to rise above the stereotypes that relate to a group that I am a part of, I have to understand that perhaps the reason why there is such stereotyping towards my group is because that single/few piece/s of information may be the only information they know of. So what I can do to rise above that stereotype is educate them more on what the group is actually about. Moreover, I need to be different by simply being myself. This will create a bigger picture of the groups, and not just a single story.

• Reply
    Breely Frasco

As cliche as it may sound, deciding to live, think, and speak with an open mind will help understand others, and will invite others to understand an individual better. Having an open mind is more than a cliche though, it truly is a way of life and it is something that needs to be evaluated often to make sure that it is still present when thinking about generational issues. One way to work on having an open mind is to be constantly educating yourself through research. When you educate yourself, it is easier to discuss topics when they arise, as well as it allows you to make personalized thoughts about the topic. As a student of UCO, I have been very surprised when noticing how diverse our campus is. The diversity surrounding us makes it even more important to be constantly working on better understanding generational topics.

• Reply
    Amelia Perez

During this first semester of college, I have found myself thinking regularly about how I can make myself appear more interesting and cooler to my peers that I hope to become friends with. I’ve worried that I will be seen as boring and I’ve created the lists in my mind of what I should say, wear, and how I should act around some people in hopes that they will “like me”. I’ve found that I was trying to mold myself into a person who wasn’t truly authentic. By trying to become more like what my peers were, I was losing sight of what was important– myself. I’ve started to challenge this conformist way of thinking by acknowledging that I am the most important person in my life and my happiness is what comes first. It starts with the realization that conforming to the status quo will not satisfy your desire of belonging. By questioning the status quo, you are reclaiming your individuality and uniqueness. Your individuality is what sets you apart from everyone else and helps you rise above the constraints of stereotypes.

• Reply
    aubrey crook

Rhonda Hooper gave a great presentation about overcoming the expectations and stereotypes put upon us. I thought it was so inspiring how she thrived in a male dominated field all throughout her life. Rhonda talked about how she had to be adaptable whenever going into a situation she was unfamiliar with. She had confidence in her skills and knew all she needed was just a bit of fine tuning. I think that these skills are needed in order to overcome our stereotypes. Though we will face adversity and quite possibly discrimination, you can’t argue with hard work and talent. We can also avoid playing into our stereotypes by thinking outside of the box and being confident in our decisions. I was so inspired by her story and loved how she faced trouble with a smile on her face. I hope to achieve this same level of maturity and professionalism.

• Reply
    Sage Kroeker

I have always been told to do everything to the best of my ability. This being said, I try to do everything to the expectation of my own ability, not to the expectations of others. Once we look to others to define our success, I believe that our work loses some merit. When we limit our success to the success of those around us, we limit our potential. For this reason, I hope that I always set my goals without consideration of what is expected of me. I never want to be limited to what people think I should achieve based on anything besides my potential. Whether it be race, gender, religion, or any other “defining” factor, I hope that I can keep my goal in mind, and encourage others to ignore the expectations of the world around us.

• I believe it is important that nobody give into stereotypical beliefs put on them. I think for being born in my generation, we are seen as always on our phones doing nothing productive and while this is partly true, myself and many others I know have gone out and worked and put in hours to help others. I don’t believe in stereotypes that are put on me solely because I don’t believe anyone can tell me who I am without truly knowing me. I try to be the best I can be regardless of what race, gender, or generation I was born in. I am fortunate to have many of these stereotypes put on me but for others there are countless that hardly ever apply to them which is wrong and should not happen.

• Reply
    Katie Edmonson

Rhonda Hoop said that she never accepted the status quo and I agree. Accepting the status quo just limits yours and others abilities to grow. If you force the status quo onto others in leadership by assuming that someone’s outer appearance can dictate their work ethic you’ll soon realize that people will prove you wrong. Status Quos should be something we look at and compare ourselves to see how much we can grow away from those ideas and grow more into the people we were meant to be. Not to assume that average is wrong and isn’t something I could be satisfied with as long as I knew I tried my hardest. To defeat the status quo is just to stay yourself, and not let others decide what you like- don’t be afraid to try new things or fail. We suffer with the fear of of being different and not liked but maybe that’s what we needed to see that by being yourself you’ll find ones who accept you and others who don’t, you just gotta hold the ones that do accept you tight and learned to accept the ones that don’t.

• Reply
    Keondra Whisenhunt

Stereotypes stem from judgements of others. I believe that it is important for everyone to realize that we will always judge others before getting to know them because it is human nature. Stereotypes can cloud our perception of others if we allow them to. In order to now allow stereotypes to consume our lives we must acknowledge that we will always judge others, but it is what we do with those judgments that defines are character. We can choose to believe these stereotypes and close ourselves off from others, or instead them to facilitate questions that will lead us to understand others’ gender, ethnicity, religion, etc. I do not allow others perceptions of me influence how I act because those people are small minded and are not ready to have those tough conversations. I try and keep and open mind and not allow the negative stereotypes to control my life, but it can be difficult at times, and that is something we all must acknowledge and get better at managing.

• I can say that the status quo does the same things over and over. Probably this is hard for some people, but I think that we must leave that always doing over and over, and we need to get out to our zone comfort and start to dream. Also, We can start like “stopping say some excuse to everything”. For example, stopping to say that the politic or the economy of our country is so bad or even stop to say that I am so young or old to do whatever thing. Everything of these words doesn’t allow you to continue with the thing that you want to get. This happens because You always will have some words to say that you cannot do it. We must break up this and start thinking in a big way. Or the other hands, the stereotypes are very delicate. It can be very dangerous, can be about racism, different negative point of view or diverse groups. It can be related to gender or economic classes. I think one of the things that cause this is the different tv shows, movies music or even the people around you. The women always loss against the man. The society thing that the women cannot work in many works, but I think that we must overcome this. In addition, it will very good that the people leave to thinking of this way.

• Women tend to be looked at as too fragile or unstable to lead. On the other hand, when a woman tries to keep it professional, they are icy and unfeminine. Unfortunately, many women are looked as a “token” of diversity instead of being considered as educated and experienced equals. To overcome these stereotypes I have to address these issues and speak up. It’s also important to be an example for others. I need to be proud of the strengths I bring as a woman instead of trying to be like a man.

• Reply
    Abigail J Spiers

As a society, we need to start moving away from stereotypes. Just by looking at people, we tend to stereotype them based on their gender, generation, or skin color. However, many of these stereotypes are wrong. We as humans naturally judge and stereotype, so it can be hard to overcome. For me, I try to avoid stereotyping by trying to remember that there is more to a person than just their outward appearance, age, or gender. I want to actually get to know that person. Rhonda also talked about stepping outside of the status quo and being different. This is really important for a leader because leaders tend to go against the status quo. A leader is independent of their own thoughts and ideas and tends to take a different path than the rest. By being different, a leader can inspire and impact the world around them.

• Reply
    Jacqueline Cabrera

During Rhonda’s presentation, she showed a video that was extremely accurate to today’s society and how we are stereotyped. Majority of the world cannot go without technology anymore and depend on it for everything, even get bored easily, which isn’t a good thing. Relying on things like this affects everyone and won’t let us progress with communication and other skills in life. My generation is a huge contribution to this issue and I have to admit that I’m one of them. I want to slowly stop accustoming myself to constantly be on my phone and distance myself from social media. I want to appreciate all of the other glorious things in the world. Within the groups I identify with I can always choose to do things in different but efficient ways. Not only to think of the benefits of the outcome but along the way as well.

• Reply
    Isabella Katery

I think that the best way to practice avoiding average or status quo solutions and expectations is having original ideas and being able to execute them. At the same time, it is very important that people trust in their own work. Getting this confidence is just possible with practice. It means that we need to trust in our own ideas but also being well informed which is really important if we want to create or change something. People have to keep in mind that we are able to do everything we propose and that our gender, nationality or any other stereotype does not matter. If they trust in their abilities to do it, then they will do it.

• Being a democrat and an environmental activist brings a few different stereotypes my way. I solve this problem the way I fix most of my problems with people though. Through respect and love. If you listen to people and hear them out, and are able to talk to them calmly, you can fix most problems. Communication is key in almost all things in life. Being able to not just tell but show people that their prejudice is wrong. Being a calm and respectable person can change just about anyone’s mind on you and your group.

• Reply
    Paige Warrior

It is difficult to challenge the status quo when there are barriers placed upon one’s self. I have always seen myself as one that continuously pushed to be involved in activities and range of thought that I found beneficial. I enjoy life finding joy in situations even when stereotypes attempt to be of value. Stereotypes are always harmful and always attempt to subdue an individual from reaching their potential.

• In this day and age, it seems as though everyone strives to be anything but who they were the day before. I guess I am no different. In this age of instant gratification, our generation in particular wants and in a way *needs* everything to be instant, whether that be Prime, or pulling in front of your peers. While I know it won’t be instant, I strive to change the way people of all generations see me and my Gen Z family alike. Kindness and extrovertism go a long way in bringing a smile to strangers faces. Whether it’s holding a door, tipping better than any generation before us, or even saying a simple thank you to the gate agent when boarding a plane – every ounce of kindness given is one more the world has to spin on.

• Reply
    Baylee Schmidlkofer

In order to avoid stereotypes and the average status quo, you have to ask yourself why they exist. When I start to see these things and why they exist, I try to work against them. I know to never engage in stereotypes, because they have such a negative impact. The status quo is there but it is meant to be broken. Stand out, go outside the box, be a different thinker. By being the hardest working and nicest person in the room you can drastically change the status quo. Our generation has a lot of negativity that surrounds it by older generations. I think we have a different set of circumstances as opposed to others. We are meant to stand out and I love how unique my generation is. The best option for any of these is to stand out and be proud of who you are.

• One of the best ways to avoid stereotypes in life is to surround yourself and your organization with positivity. Your reputation of yourself and organization can be hurt off of one individual’s stereotype. We live in a world where stereotypes can negatively impact so many people, things, and places. For example, Greek life in 2018 can be defined with so many preconceived notions that make others not want to be a part of it. Having best practices to changes to make yourself better is the action you need to take. Everyone gets that Greek organizations are social clubs, but not everyone sees the other side of giving and making an impact on the others around them. It is our job to publicize the positive things we do to change the culture and perspectives of outsiders.

• Stereo types is a very difficult situation. Depending on how someone views another group or stereotype could be different to how someone else views them. Coming from where I grew up we really didn’t have that many stereotypes. Everyone got along with one another and there weren’t any groups that separated their selves from one another. I think as a different era we have underlined and have made it acceptable to take away those stereotypes. I believe that my generation is a lot more agreeing in what someone wants to be or who they want to be. However, there are always a few people that still demonize others for what actions they take. I’ve found a way to arise from these people from distancing myself and not becoming involved in them. One way I have always handled being given a stereotyped is to pay no attention to it. Whenever someone gives you that title then it is most likely proven that they are jealous of one might be achieving. I was always jokingly called a jock and as for most people that found it funny, I did not. I always lived off the quote that, “lions don’t lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.” This is how I always viewed being given a title. My generation has been given many names and I do not approve. I believe I live in a generation of mindful people. I believe that we will set our world apart and improve it better than the way we found it. The way we do this is not to listen or let those that are older get inside our heads. But to arise from adversity and show those that we can be the betterment of this world.

• Reply
    Karabo Pamela Moalafi

Wherever one goes in life or is currently situated, they will experience some form of condemnation. Thus, it is vital for an individual to know who they are and stick to what they believe while respecting other people’s way of life and not being judgemental. Stereotypical incidents occur almost all the time, be in school, workplace or just the general public. When these incidents occur, one’s attitude in handling the situation is what matters. Putting up a negative attitude does not help rather adds more fuel to the burning fire. So people stereotyped because of the gender, race, religion, political affiliation and so forth, should handle out these issues in a positive manner and helping out even the people who often stereotype the right way.

• Reply
    Joceline Lopez

The society composed of tribes, each seeking a way of life according to its principles, seeking to change the structures established long ago by a social minority, at the time considered the right way to live according to their interests or beliefs.
    Avoid drawing early conclusions when you meet a new group of people.
    Humility: try to think about the previous occasions of your life in which you lived the real situation of realizing that the opinion you had about a person was totally wrong.
    Empathy: The medicine of empathy is fundamental to correct this type of behavior.
    Observe the exceptions to the rule: For example, if a person has the prejudice to believe that the difference in age in the couple affects negatively to love.
    Feed your mind with culture stimuli: Constant education is the best medicine to reduce the impact that prejudices and stereotypes can produce in our lives.
    Have friends in different groups: You can overcome the prejudice of stereotypes if you have the opportunity to establish friendships with different people, this fact helps you grow.
    Recognize what your prejudices are: Many people repress them and when they act in this way they do not have the opportunity to change.

• Reply
    Cynthia Gallardo

It is hard to get away from others placing you into stereotypical groups, but all that I can do for those that use stereotypes is show them who I really am and what I stand for. Older generations have a lot of stereotypes about my generation, but I feel that they discredit what we can do and have done. As an example, my generation has seen one of the most progressive times in destigmatizing things that used to be taboo, such as mental illness. It is ways like that where we have shown that we are above their stereotypes rather than just saying, “We’re not like that.” For me, rising above stereotypes regarding my gender and ethnicity does not happen out of spite to those who stereotype me. I will be above their stereotypes by showing them that I am a multi-faceted person just as they are. I can’t really see another way to fight stereotypes other than showing that each person is their own person, one that can’t be placed into a box based on gender, religion, race, or orientation. Life is more difficult with stereotypes, because, on top of the effort a task needs, you are fighting for basic respect to even do the task. If actions speak louder than words than the best way to avoid the status quo is to show that you are capable, even if it takes twice as much effort than for those who aren’t stereotyped.

• As an emerging leader in today’s world I think the emphasis on individuality is stronger than ever. Although stereotypes and status quos definitely exist, I think the overall intensity of scrutiny and the impact they have is at an all time low. We live in an imperfect world; but we also live in the most opportunistic country and governmental system to date. I think understanding that is a key factor to overcoming obstacles and stereotypes that have plagued ethnic groups, social classes, etc. President Betz said it best when he said “We live in a country that does not hold a promise of equal outcome, but promises equal opportunity”. I think the best way to combat stereotypes is to teach the groups affected that they have individual opportunity. Although historical wrongs, prejudices, or even economic inequity may separate social classes and create a brand of stereotypical predisposition, the simple truth is that people must overcome these obstacles on an individual level. Groups that face these afflictions must discontinue the teaching of victimization and entitlement to the new, rising generations. They must instead acknowledge the historical hardship or fault and learn from it; in doing so they also must seek opportunity by individual merit, overcoming expectations that are continuously passed down through generations. I know this world and this country is far from perfect. However, I feel the first step to equalizing opportunity for all people is to let go of entitlement for horrible ancestral wrongs and judgement, learn from them and embrace culture, and ultimately seek opportunity based off of individual merit. I believe stereotypes are fueled by a victimized culture; waiting to be extinguished by a generational stand of individual responsibility. I am by no means saying people should ignore the stereotypes in our country and the prejudice and historical wrongs of which most stem from. However, I am promoting a perspective of growth that offers an end to a never ending cycle of stereotypes and the victimization that cultures are taught as a result of them.

• My generation seems to be one of the most stereotyped generations. It’s a difficult way of life to always be trying to prove yourself in a world full of people doubting my age group. Although my generation has been known to rely on technology more than others, we are also providing ways to advance those devices as well as make our world a better place to live in. I feel as if it’s our responsibility to keep the old fashioned ways of life going, but also provide new resources that can be used for generations after us. As a whole, we can all contribute to avoiding stereotypes by being the best people we can be. Whether we use technology or not, we are still capable of holding a meaningful conversation and making advancements without it.

• Reply
    Sheila Claunch

Sometimes it can be very hard to rise up the stereotypes put on you or overcome the statusquo. However, it is possible. I would do this by first, not paying attention to either of those things. I know that dwelling on those things would just make it worse. If I ignore those things, then I can just work on bettering myself and becoming the best version of myself that I can be. Ultimately, what people think I’m going to do doesn’t matter, if I can prove them wrong in the end, and that’s what I would work to do.

• Reply
    Christian Coleman

I believe that in order to break stereotypes or challenge the status quo we must not become apathetic to the problems we face in society today. The person who makes the first steps to be different or try new approaches to issues has a step ahead of the game. In a global workforce and society a foot ahead is always where you want to be. Apathy plagued our nation for over 300 years. The emotions and morals of those individuals became calloused to the right thing to do. As we move forward was leaders of tomorrow we should always strive to to ourselves, and in many cases that different from the general status quo.

• Reply
    Brevin Senner

It is unfortunate that some of these stereotypes that our related to our age generation are true. One of the most common ones being that we are addicted to technology. I will say that for me personally I probably do use my phone too much. In my opinion it is partially society’s fault and partially my own fault. Sometime’s I do think what our world would be like with less technology, but to think about it now, it is just how our generation grew up. Technology is how this world is growing and all though most people use their phones too much, they will not be going away any time soon. I watch this one guy on youtube with the name Tai Lopez. Just about every video he uploads he talks about the new book that he reads everyday or so. I feel like that is something our generation can do to get out of that stereotype. Personally I am not a big fan of reading, it mostly comes down to when my high school teachers made us read books that gave us no benefit. However when I get to pick a book to read myself i will obviously be more interested in it. I think being able to read a new book every week or so will give us a generation more knowledge that twitter or instagram ever will.

• Reply
    Blake Houston Hauenstein

Ways I choose to avoid status quo would be always trying my best to push myself and improve constantly. I will hold myself to a high standard and be diligent not to degrade or become lax enough to allow my morals and behavior to become dilapidated over time. I will use my ideation to constantly come up with solutions and be as efficient in the work place and in life as I can be. I must find friends who will challenge me to rise to all occasions and support and assist me in my endeavors. I should not allow friends who only wish to sink me to their level while draining me of all that is me.

Also, I am weird. I know no one like me. I am an aberration and do not see the world as others do. I don’t think the way most think. Nothing changes who I am, but the things that surround me, the drugs that change the way I think, the clothes that I ware, and whether or not I have a beard changes how others perceive me. Until, they read a little further and find they are unsure of what I am altogether, and say those fateful words, “you are really weird.” I am not normal, and I don’t desire to be. All I try to be is an inspiration to others and their creativity. Besides people who think I fit a stereotype do not know me and their comments are best ignored because they are not open minded, considerate, careful thoughts. It is best simply to prove them otherwise later down the line through my own actions and thoughts.

• One of the ways that I avoid average or status quo solutions/expectations is to always to set my own quo solutions/expectations. That helps because there are people that I want to impress in my life, but the most important person that I need to impress is myself. Although that may seem selfish, it will bring satisfaction into my life. When it comes to rising above stereotypes related to my generation, gender, or culture, what I like to do is embrace everything about my background and have a mindset to always represent all of that in a good manner. Everywhere I go or everything I thing I hope to make a great look for my generation. I had an officer once tell me I gave him hope about my generation. I have always been able to not be affected by stereo types but when I am, I will stand up for myself in the most professional manner as can be. If there is anything I represent, it is my job make sure it is represent well and not bad.

• I can avoid being a “status quo” person by being different. I have to be able to bring something different to the table, act differently, or think differently to be considered opposite of what the status quo. It’s very easy to get slumpt in to the majority, but it’s harder to be apart of the minority!

Reply