Week 13-Lessons in Leadership-Dr. Cornel Pewewardy

Dr. Pewewardy discussed the importance of understanding through different lenses, the contributions of culture to organizations, and the concept of warrior leadership. What can you do to challenge your thought process, be more in tune to the experiences of others and advance your learning?

• Kateri Krug

It all starts with wanting to learn more. When wanting to alter your thought process and become more in tune with others, you have to want to understand. Another component would be becoming more knowledgeable about the cultures around you. For me personally, I really want to learn more about the history of Indigenous people of Oklahoma. Luckily, I have access to so many sources and can definitely expand my thought process and advance my learning.

• Kallie Daniel

I think it is important to listen to others and consider their point-of-view. This challenges a person’s thought process. Many times people think they are right, but listening to another person’s experiences will allow you to put your own ideas into perspective. While listening make sure you are actually making some room in your head for the other person’s ideas. Consider their ideas like you want your ideas to be considered. This will help you tune into the experiences of others and also widen your view on the world.

• Phoebe Barnes

Being able to see other perspectives, or looking through, “different lenses” is critical as a person and especially as a leader. People can better themselves this way by challenging their own thought processes by taking the time to understand why others view certain things a specific way and what in their life made them come to believe that. Hanging around different people with different backgrounds can make this inevitable and make you more culturally sound. Part of the warrior leadership goes along with “sweating with one another”. Growing deep connections with many types of people with many different perspectives helps you sweat with them because it allows you to understand what they work for and why as well (Working or “sweating” with them in this way).

• Hannah Morrison

To challenge thought process, be more in tune with the experiences of others, and advance learning, I believe that the most important aspect is intentionally keeping an open mind. Being ready to be conscious throughout life will keep you ready to discover the world around us, whether that involves culture, new ideas, or whatever else. Every day presents an opportunity to grow yourself and learn. It is up to us to decide if we will be open to growth, or closed off from it. Keeping an open mind will ensure that we advance our learning.

• Amelia Perez

To change my thought process, I can ask myself, “How would this problem or situation be perceived by someone from a different background/lifestyle than me?” Would that change my decision when I remove myself from the context of the issue? Or would it only strengthen my confidence in my choice? Questioning your decisions and why you make them is a great way to gauge your awareness of yourself and the people around you. By questioning my thought process, I can become more aware of the perspectives of those around me which is extremely important when it comes to recognizing the voices of everyone. By raising my awareness of other voices with a magnitude of different mindsets and experiences, I am able to recognize new perspectives and new lessons from everyone around me. This learning of new perspectives advances my learning as a leader by broadening my outlook on problems and the soluions that would benefit not only myself, but everyone possible.

• Sean Miller

Especially in the current political climate, the most important thing anyone can do is listen. Listen to the otherside of the conversation and don’t let your pride block your ability to change your mind. The ability to change your perspective and learn that what you grew up being taught might be completely and utterly wrong – and that’s okay. Adaptability is humanity’s greatest quality. If the time and effort is put in, humans can adapt to anything. Whether that is getting out of your comfort zone and experiencing new and different cultures or changing and growing your own mind, it’s all for the better. I am striving to experience as many places and cultures as I can in my lifetime, and as that one famous dude once said, “well traveled is well educated.”

• Sage Kroeker

A key part to growth in leadership is expanding your horizons. In order to reach more people and encounter different perspectives, one must get out of their own comfort zone. We all have specific areas that we are more comfortable. However, our circumference of influence will never change if we never change anything, so we must learn to be uncomfortable. When we reach outside of our comfort zones, we have the ability to gather ideas and perspectives from everyone under our influence – not just those similar to us. This, in my opinion, is the true measure of a leader. The ability to listen to all and benefit as many people as possible is the purpose of a leader, but we must be willing to open our eyes to those different than us.

• I always try to put myself in the shoes of others and their struggles when presented with a situation. It is important to realize in life people cannot pick the situations they are born in, but only how they respond to them. This allows me to better understand others experiences and to have more compassion to others when placed with a difficult situation. For example when someone is rude to me at a store I could get upset, or I can try to understand that maybe something happened in their life to cause those actions and try to be a someone who can make their day a little better. This outlook on life allows me to better understand others.

• Angelina Sibimon

Being able to understand and tune to the experiences of others is a very important aspect of leadership. This allows leaders to grow because it will give them the opportunity to adjust to different conditions; not everyone is the same. Being adaptable and learning about all different types of cultures will make a leader even better.

• conor wyer

In order to challenge my thought process, I need to put myself in tough situations and really push myself to think critically. This usually includes listening to a different side of things that I personally do not agree on. I’ve learned to really accept other people’s point a view and give them a chance to change the way I think. For example, I believe we should have stricter gun laws and the process to attain one. Coming from someone that loves to hunt, I see and hear from both sides of the situation. This really puts my thought process to attain thoughts on both sides of the problem we have with our gun laws. Having this mindset has no doubt challenged my views on many controversial situations. It has made me grow to be aware that there are two sides of opinions on a certain topic. In doing this I’ve gained much respect for those views that I don’t agree on and has improved my leadership within.

• Rachel Hunt

Dr. Pewewardy emphasized the importance of education in how we develop opinions and perspective. However, sometimes our education has not adequately prepared us for how the culture around us is evolving. One of the best ways to combat that and grow with our environment is to continually seek opportunities to be informed. Attending different festivals, listening at educational sessions, and simply being aware around different cultures are just a few ways we can do this. One of my favorite ways to gain sensitivity to others and learn about different cultures is to make friends that are a part of that particular upbringing. I like to ask questions, and sometimes, it is better to watch how they respond to different situations. We can learn from observation and direct inquiries. I have learned that my different friends like when you care and really try. A good thing to remember is we will fail and mess up, but that is much better than not even trying. Some of the qualities of a warrior leader Dr. Pewewardy mentioned were forgiveness, compassion, and humility. We must direct these qualities to ourselves but also to those around us when challenging our thoughts and exposing ourselves to new environments.

• Anna Schmidt

On a practical level, I think that we can all be constantly expanding our knowledge of others by reading, watching, or listening to informative sources that account different cultures. But on top of that, I think we all also have to remember to approach that information about other cultures with an open mind. In order to be in tune with the people of a culture different than ours, we must approach them knowing that we may not always agree with what they are saying, or we may not understand why they feel a certain way, but their feelings are still valid and worth listening to. With that mindset I think that a lot could be accomplished, and more people would be learning about different cultures in a receptive and understanding way.

• Kamryn Johnson

As a leader you must find ways to challenge yourself to keep an open mind. Leadership is not a one size fits all kind of thing, it’s something that comes in many different thoughts, ideals and roles. I think the only way to challenge your thought process is to make sure you don’t become complacent where you are in life and as a leader. Challenging yourself to go outside your normal realms and experience new things is a way you can challenge your thought process. In order to be more in tune with experiences of others, you have to be able to listen. Listening to ones experiences and thoughts is the only way to be able to understand them in the first place. After listening, you need to be empathetic and really understand where they are coming from and how it affects them and that will help you become more in tune with experiences of others.

• Kamryn Johnson

As a leader you must find ways to challenge yourself to keep an open mind. Leadership is not a one size fits all kind of thing, it’s something that comes in many different thoughts, ideals and roles. I think the only way to challenge your thought process is to make sure you don’t become complacent where you are in life and as a leader. Challenging yourself to go outside your normal realms and experience new things is a way you can challenge your thought process. In order to be more in tune with experiences of others, you have to be able to listen. Listening to ones experiences and thoughts is the only way to be able to understand them in the first place. After listening, you need to be empathetic and really understand where they are coming from and how it affects them.

• For me, in order to challenge my thought process thoughtfully, I will need to expand my world view, seek new experiences, travel, learn new facts about my environment, spend more time on newspaper, and apply my mind critically on whatever subject I am studying. Whatever I do, I need to put myself in different environments that will help give me more perspectives and test my world view. Moreover, when I want to study new information, setting a timer is my prioritize. For instance, 10 minutes to read, 20 minutes to review, and 10 minutes to recite. It will force me to focus because I know that my time is limited. Leaders who rise to the top are ones who constantly sharpen their strategic thinking by questioning their own views, by listening to different viewpoints, surrounding themselves by people with different expertise areas and doing anything else they can to gain different perspectives. This will help me keep in tune to the experiences of others and advance my learning

• Gabby Clabes

Personally, I try to challenge myself every day. Whether it be academically, socially, or personally. I believe it’s extremely important to learn more about others by asking questions or even volunteering to spend a day with them. Learning isn’t all based on books, but being in tune with what is happening around you and around the world. being knowledgeable is extremely important in todays society. It allows you to speak wisely without offending others. There are challenges in every situation you face, it’s just a matter of if you choose to broaden your horizons or take the easy way out.

• Olivia Sharp

To challenge my thought process, I keep myself open to other people’s perspectives. Seeing the way circumstances are seen in the eyes of another is crucial for enhancing my learning and leadership. Keeping myself informed of what is going on around the world is important as well. If you are educated about things around you, you gain more understanding of things and people.

• Aubrey Crook

In college, we are constantly presented with new challenges that can come in the form of differing perspectives, difficult people, and unfamiliar territory. It is important to face these situations with a sense of respect and consideration towards this person. Learning from new people can be so enriching, but we have to get over our central ego that has taught us that the only perspective to consider is our own. Compassion is such an important part of growing as a person and as a leader, because you must be in tune to how people around you are feeling and what skills they may have to offer the team. You can learn and become sensitive to these things by simply listening to these people with an open heart and an open mind.

• Jordan Broiles

One thing that I have been intentionally working on is, meeting people where they are at. Taking the time to intentionally listen to understand and not to have a response. The individual perception is their reality so in that how someone was raised and their surrounding plays a role in their view of reality. I’m a very inquisitive person so I tend to want to learn why someone view something that way. I was told that you learn more when you’re quiet and listening. Yes, it’s great to voice things that you know but it’s even better to learn new information. The challenging aspect of this is when someone has a mindset or viewpoint that can be offensive to another individuals or cultural. James Baldwin quoted, “We can disagree and still love each other, unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist.” I totally agree with this quote, so in my effort to trying to understand and learn; I can not negate the fact that their view point and experiences may be oppressive to others and will address it accordingly. I will do it in the most subtle way without shutting that person down or belittling them.

• Haleigh Himes

I think first and foremost it is important to open myself up to others and their experiences without judgement and listening ears. A large way I can do this is by participating in events that showcase another person’s culture; for example, the Asian Moon Festival. Another way is by reaching out to others that are different from me and starting conversations. It is in these conversations that I have the opportunity to learn about myths, stereotypes, unseen biased in myself, and the unique background and experiences of others. I hope that this not only gains me understanding, but also allows me to be an ally for change to those around me.

• Jaxon Missey

Dr. Pewewardy made some good points in reference to expanding perspective and looking through different lenses. I don’t necessarily agree with his perspective on indigenous victimization and his “anti-eurocentrism” view. However, by taking time to listen and understand Dr. Pewewardy’s perspective I began to understand the root of several social issues that I previously felt clueless on. I feel like conversations and discussions that share perspectives that are vastly different only help us understand each other better as people; a understanding that can create a huge upside for leaders and for society as a whole.

• Ryan Lykins

Empathy and the ability to listen are two of the most important attributes a leader can have. The ability to understand and challenge one’s own thought process is something our own government is missing. My mentality has always been to question everything including myself. Everything everyone does has a purpose or a meaning and I want to know why I do the things I do. I use this to spot toxic mentalities I may have or see if I’m being short minded. Then I ask, how will this effect others. Even if its something as simple as “Should I grab a soda?”. If do get the drink we there may not be enough for my brother or the rest of my family. These kind of questions can grow someone as a person and leader.

• Jimmey Brown

One of the keys to becoming a great leader is to constantly improve one own thought process, to better adjust to challenges. I challenge my own thought process by paying attention to the thoughts I am going through myself to see if others’ criticism of my position make sense. For me, It comes down to having a positive mindset because the negative thinking only tear me down. I surround myself with people who support and provide positive energy into my life because I know having a positive thought process can control the human body directly or indirectly.
    When my thought process involves others. I question and think positive, eliminate error in thinking, listen to different viewpoints, and read to get a broader perspective on things. By following these simple steps it helps me to look at the world differently and have a better experience with others.

• I think one of the most important things a leader needs to posses is open-mindedness. Without it you can’t truly lead any group of people to the best of your ability. I think the term, “understanding through different lenses” is a lot like having an open mind. I think one of the worst things I’ve seen in leaders today is the fact that they are so close minded and can not understand that we are all just people doing the best we can to be happy. So many people have experienced similar heart break and oppression and I think that often times it’s easier to judge people and point fingers rather than to deal with our own issues. A leader who can truly come into a position of power or influence with no judgement and the mindset to help others regardless of anything else is in my opinion the best leader there is.

• Sophia Cuyo

In order for me to challenge my thought process, I need to reframe any unhelpful thoughts. Looking at a situation’s different angles will help me do this. Just like how the saying goes, “I have to look at the brighter side.” I also have to learn to take risks, for it is better to know that I at least tried, rather than not trying and further regretting it. Also, I have to eliminate whatever negative thoughts that come into mind. Whenever I think of negative thoughts or am faced with a difficult situation, I have to consider it as a challenge, thus proving to myself that I can surpass this challenge if I work hard. Moreover, being able to reframe my thought process will allow me to be more in tune to the experiences of others, for even if I cannot understand what they are going through or am simply not interested, when I change my thought process and look at it at different angles, then the better I can understand, empathize, and most importantly learn from their experiences. The way I look at a situation will affect how I react to it, and that will determine if I will learn something from it or not.

• D'Lajiah Fields

Things I can do to challenge my though process consist of putting myself in situations I have never been in. Another thing I could do to challenge my thought process is learn more about things that can broader my view. As far as being more In tuned I could be more focused and maybe stay off of my phone. Also be in the moment fully instead of thinking about other things. Doing these things will naturally advance my learning and help me grow as a person.

• joceline lopez

1. Challenge the process: Leaders accept challenges and do not remain seated waiting for fate to smile on them. All leaders challenge the process.
    2. inspire a shared vision: Each organization begins with a dream. Leaders are able to see beyond the horizon of time, and imagine the attractive opportunities that await them and their constituents when they reach their destination.
    3. Enable others to act: Leadership is a team effort. Exemplary leaders get the support and help of all those who should make the project work. The sense of team goes way beyond a few direct reports.
    4. serve as a model: respect is only gained through one’s behavior.
    5. Give encouragement: Climbing to the top is arduous and long. People feel fatigued, frustrated, disenchanted. He is often tempted to give up.

• James Limbaugh

The most effective strategy to understand another culture is to immerse yourself into it. While I am on a college campus, surrounded by so many people from so many backgrounds, I hope to gain a new perspective on the world. Getting involved with other cultures gives a new-found sense of empathy towards that culture. I also hope to challenge my way of thinking by listening to others with opposing or differing views for a new look on a subject. I am excited to be surrounded by so many opportunities to look beyond my current world view.

• Graysen Boyer

I personally thought it was interesting when Dr. Pewewardy asked us if we knew who had originally lived on the land that is now UCO. This is something I want to use to challenge myself. Everywhere I travel to, I want to research the background to that place.

• Katie Edmonson

Dr. Pewewardy graph about people’s knowledge about others was very eye opening, he understood to have consciousness over others and making sure that they are acknowledge with the same opportunities. – but it takes the person to not look just at their own surroundings and think of others and not upon themselves. As a white woman in today’s society- I know I have duty to recognize my privilege as being not an minority. This means I must stand up to the injustices others our facing because of years and years of taught hatred in our country. You have to be able to compartmentalize win thinking about the things that we are taught because we have to recognize that we live in Eurocentric education style, but we don’t live in Eurocentric universe. That’s where I win days that are celebrated in this country like Thanksgiving in Columbus day you have to go past what you have learned and further that by educating yourself about the injustices that have happened to native American people. This goes for any really my Minority group, once you start actually caring and realizing that there are many injustices happening to minorities still today you have go PAST what status quo is and educate yourself for what is really happening. As a white person I know I have a privileged within society because I am less likely to to get discriminated against or withheld from an opportunity like many minorities face. So instead of using that privilege to my advantage and getting out of speeding ticket or things like that I need to start using my voice to start advocating for those minority groups that are not getting the advocation they so desperately need.

• Tucker Pawley

One thing to be more in tune of challenging your thought process, is always pushing and pursuing to always trying to meet new people and new ways of thinking about things to challenge your mind and thought process. Dr. Pewewardy did a great job of explaining how to give ways of expanding your ways of thinking and looking through the different lenses. It is a great way of thinking because it not only makes you smarter about all the different cultures and such in the world but also helps your way of thinking about cultures and such in a day to day way.

• Karol Montoya

It all comes down to interacting with others that are not from the same background as you. As much as I want to uplift people who look like me, it does not mean that I should overlook the adversities others have. That is what we have to do. Learn and understand everyone’s adversities, even if they do not align with what you have in focus. Take a step and go out there to show your willingness to learn and change your mind about how to do things. I think that is the only way you could genuinely learn.

• Samir Pitty

For each type of leadership you need to develop a warrior’s soul and lead always understanding and taking others into account. Knowing people makes you know experiences they have gone through, knowing people is undoubtedly a key to developing your knowledge. Each person comes to your life with a purpose and is in ourselves to take advantage of each experience we live and make the most of that for our personal development and thus lead in your life to then lead in the lives of others and help them Grow by sharing your experiences. In each country there are leaders like Dr. Pewewardy who through their culture have come to lead large government entities with great determination.

• Elizabeth Plunkett

I think the best way to challenge myself to learn and grow from the experiences and differences of other people is to put myself into situations with diverse people. For example, by attending events that different cultures host, I would be able to learn about how they live; if I was to sit down and get coffee with somebody from another culture than mine and just talk about how they were raised and what customs they do, I could learn. Therefore, the best way to challenge my thought process and knowledge of other cultures, traditions, and beliefs, we need to put ourselves out there and attend/talk to people from diverse lives than our own.

• Keisy Quiel

Dr. Pewewardy’s speech was so fascinating to me because also in my country there are many indigenous groups. He talked about the warrior leadership, which is interesting because also the indigenous from my country passed through difficult moments so that their voice was listened by society. I think that I can challenge my thought process transforming the perceptions and the paradigms that I have about the different systems of the society. Furthermore, I believe that I can be more in tune to the experiences of others and take advantage to advance to my learning, frequenting people that can contribute with my learning and also with the people that are working in make a better place to live with freedom, opportunities, and equality.

• Austin Markham

I challenge myself daily by putting myself in positions to meet new people. Not only to meet new people but to meet new people that dont look like me, believe like me, and simple just dont live life like me. I think this is a simple way to become a cultural competent individual. I encourage others to do the same and go to any cultural class they can go to or even take while in school.

• Alexis Peeper

I can be more pragmatic which will not only lead me to challenge my own opinions and thought process, but it also will help me understand others. One of my goals is to constantly challenge myself by setting a variety of goals that range from bettering myself to learning about other people. I have always feared the thought of becoming complacent and stagnant. Therefore, I have always put forth my best efforts to further my knowledge. Everyone should want to challenge themselves and learn about other people’s ways and thought processes so they can be aware of the differences in others.

• Drew Rosko

I continually want to challenge my personal thought process. I know that there are many people that have experienced other things that I haven’t and I want to be able to learn from them and develop a new perspective. If you develop friendships with people that have different opinions then you, you can often become more balanced in your thought process.

• Breely Frasco

An individual’s sphere of influence often spoken about by Laura Butler, which is the impact one chooses to develop within their community, or however far the can reach consistently. The term “sphere of influence” corresponds directly in warrior leadership. To be influential, a person must gain the trust of those they are trying to reach. The University Oklahoma (UCO) offers endless opportunities expand experiences, as well as learn about other cultures, concepts, and history. Students Transformative Learning Record, otherwise known as STLR, was implemented to encourage students to attend activities and learning sessions for their entire career at UCO. Actively participating in STLR, as well as other community events, would increase their knowledge, therefore forming trust in their sphere of influence, and eventually developing a warrior leadership style.

• Jacqueline Cabrera

Dr. Pewewardy gave a great speech about understanding through different lenses and how important it is to put in an effort to the contributions of culture to organizations and the concept of warrior leadership. I am aware that everyone has a different thought process so what I can do to challenge mine is take different routes than I normally do with things. I can decide to resolve situations differently, still positively, however, differently. I can also not only take into consideration the say of others but try it their way instead which will also help with being more in tune with others. Being more in tune with others would also require me to try to understand with my best capability through their thought process. I plan on advance my learning by study different habits that could benefit me and actually put them into use as well as networking and receiving different inputs because there is never any harm in that as well as giving it my all capacity in everything it is that I do.

• Abdulmalik Shehu

Dr. Pewewardy explained the importance of understanding through different lenses. He said it is okay to not agree with his views about the contributions of culture to organizations. sometimes we have to think outside the box and not just rely on conventional theories. i really enjoyed his speech and it really gave me an insight of how it all started in this great nation. The over-representation of the homogeneous people in special education classes. overall, It challenged me to think outside of the box and add the pieces to the puzzle by making my observations and reading different books with different views.

• Karabo Pamela Moalafi

Moving from a tribal community to one that is ‘individualistic’ has been and still is a challenge to attain the concept behind the idea of individualism. In such a quest to apprehend the way of sustainable living in this learning institute of UCO, I have come to appreciate the aspect of individualism on positive ground. An African proverb states that two hands are better than one, but one might raise an argument pertaining to such a statement. Involving people into one’s affairs may be the cause of disappointments, heartaches, stress and so forth because both parties are expectant of something from another, as a result, challenges arise. Henceforth, one would question if it is beneficial to keep to oneself in order to advance on one’s professional and personal life and save one trouble from blossoming issues caused by other individuals? Well, there is no wrong or right answer to this but what I have configured is that relations are important one way or the other and it helps us build character throughout the different things we experience from unique individuals. So in order to synchronize with other individuals experiences to advance my course of learning is being open-minded because it leads to simplicity and less toxicity in life.

• Renzo Villanueva

Coming from a perspective that is different than most people in America, I have always challenged my thought process to include everyones’ experience and thoughts. Even in my family where we might all be Latino and experience some of the same things, all of us have a different way of dealing with things that happen. I believe that has made me a better leader in a way that most people would not experience the same thing. I hope to take this skill into the future and even though I have acquired this skill already, I hope to improve it and really take it into full effect.

• Cynthia Gallardo

Being in tune with others’ experiences is something that is very important to my thought process, but there is always room to improve in order to understand others better. The first way that I can challenge my thought process is to listen to others with the intention of understanding where they are coming from. Listening to understand is key to learning about the person you are talking to and learning about their perspective. Another way that I can challenge how I think is to keep my own biases aside to be the most open minded I can be in a situation. Setting aside your own biases, whether you notice them or not, is very hard, but it is very important to begin to consider another perspective. Reminding myself that other people have motivations for their actions and thoughts, which could differ from my own, is also important for being in tune to the experience of others. One of the most important things to remember to understand the experience of others is communication. One person may think everybody is on the same page, but there could be a misunderstanding on a basic idea because of different understandings/perspectives.

• Mandy Woodward

I believe having an open mind is key to almost every aspect of life. It forces you to challenge the way you think or perceive things and understand them from a different perspective. This helps advance your learning because you are being exposed to new ideas that you might have never considered before. In order to succeed as a leader, having an open mind is a must because it widens your perspective and you are forced to become aware of new ideas and challenge the way you think.

• Keondra Whisenhunt

As humans it is impossible to not judge others or create stereotypes in our heads before getting to know others that are different from us. It is human nature, and we will never live in a judgement free world. Although we can never change this behavior, we should be aware that we create biases, and with that knowledge not let it influence our actions towards those who are different that us. The best way to challenge our thought process with various cultures, beliefs, ethnicities, etc is to interact and immerse ourselves into their lives. Obviously we cannot fully understand what it is like to live another person’s life, but we can challenge ourselves to ask questions and sympathize with them and know that they have people in their corner. I want to go to more cultural events to meet people and learn about their traditions and beliefs because I can see their struggles and triumphs, and take those into consideration when I am leading others who are different than me. I want to travel the world and experience as much as I can so that I can take what I have learned about others and also myself and channel that into my leadership. I have a long way to go in fully understanding others and how to incorporate their needs, but I know that if I continue to step out of my comfort zone and ask questions that I will become a more well rounded leader.

• Molly Booth

I believe challenging one’s thought process just comes with putting one’s self in another’s shoes. Thinking about things and considering someone’s opinion from their point of view can really help you expand your thinking beyond yourself or group. Also experiencing and attending events outside of your party or viewpoint is very eye opening and great way to challenge yourself to listen to someone who differs from you. These both also helps you to be more in tune other’s experiences, when you learn abut their reasoning for their opinions.
    I think those both apply to advancing your learning as well, but there’s another way I find effective and that is to visit museums. Museum are a great and interactive way to see and learn about all kinds of topics and viewpoints. I have personally visited several museums ranging from air and space to spy and I find them to be a different way to learn things, and they can stick with you.

• Kennedy Staton

I agree with Dr. Pewewardy on the importance of these things. I strive to be an understanding person who can view a situation not only from my perspective, but also from other people’s. I can challenge my thought process by always trying to do the right thing and not taking the easy way out. Looking from other perspectives will strengthen your relationships and help you understand different types of people.

• One way of challenging the way I think is exploring new ideas that are different from my own and looking at things from someone else’s perspective. Communicating with others is one way of doing this. Talking to others gives an insight into their experiences, history, and culture. As a leader I need to be willing to push myself out of my comfort zone and do everything I can to keep learning new things.

• Abigail J Spiers

I think sometimes it is a challenge to see situations through other’s lenses. There are so many different cultures and pasts that influence the world today. For me, I want to learn how to think more openly and to be able to discuss topics in a loving manner for all people. Cultures are put into stereotypes so often without people realizing that it can really offend the people in that culture. I want to advance my learning in a way that I am more aware of the way I am speaking and thinking.

• Brenda Martinez

By giving my opinion to Dr. Pewewardy’s Theme, I would challenge my thought process by addressing the needs of others that my mind says are difficult to help and resolve. Also putting into practice everything possible learned in classes, although I dare not in a moment to give more of me for trusting in my negative thoughts to the fear of failing and not fitting in with others. I would dare to converse with others and give them the confidence that in me can be trusted and that the negative thoughts are outside our fears and abilities.

• The most important facet when attempting to challenge your thought process is to become comfortable with uncomfortable situations and ideas that are foreign to you. The phrase “knowledge is power” directly relates to this topic because the more knowledge you have the more sound you are in your decisions as a leader because you can understand and comprehend varying points of view. In respects of being in tune with differing types of people, I believe that the same saying applies because if you get out of your comfort zone to learn about different cultures and types of people then you advance your learning simply because you have learned facts that you wouldn’t know without being around different types of cultures. While it sounds easy to do it is not as easy as it sounds because people are not comfortable with being in situations where discomfort arises but once you get acclimated to being uncomfortable it becomes easier to find yourself with great friends and great experiences.

• Sometimes there are some people who think a unique way. Sometimes these people have a knowledge to another galaxy because this knowledge is very special and very huge. I think that one of the ways to be more in tune with the experiences of others is talk with them. When you talk with people always you will learn something new, for example speaking with people to another country will learn about their culture and this can expand my mind. In my country Panama, we have indigenous groups and I think sometimes people that think a wrong way that do not like talk with them and many times there are people who discriminate against indigenous people because they think that indigenous are less than they are or simply think that they used to have less knowledge than normal people but I think that the indigenous are very important to the society. They are so humble and has a knowledge that rest of normal people don’t have. Be more in tune with the experiences of others and advance your learning is a good reason to grow up a person.

• Baylee Schmidlkofer

It really is important to constantly learn more about cultures other than of our own. Education is the first step to making it a priority to grow with others. I know that just simply getting involved with student organizations and developing friendships is a key component to this education. Interaction with others expands your views on different cultures and creates awareness. Listening to what one has to say is a communicative effort in building that trust, so that the educational growth continues. For me it has always been easy to relate to other viewpoints because I am willing to learn and listen through action. We can all learn more by putting ourselves out of our comfort zones.

• Paige Warrior

Education is pivotal in experiencing a transformation within one’s own processes. Education does not stop outside of the classroom, instead it has the opportunity to keep growing. Intelligence blossoms when ignorance melts away i regards to certain issues and how to deal with them best. It takes the willingness to engage within more thought provoking conversations as well as those that I am unaware of to advance my own personal journey.

• Carlos Perez

Dr. Pewewardy discussed the importance of understanding through different ways, talking about how can I do the challenge to my thought process to be in tune. Maybe I can apply the ability of listening to other, that is really important nowadays and less people are using this and we can use this to advance in our learning too because this is a good way to improve yourself.

• Oscar Zepeda

There I many things I can do to challenge my thought process and be more in tune to the experiences of others and advance my learning. One that’s important to me is by simply asking questions. I can learn more by just going out of my ways to ask others about their life and share experiences that they have impacted and shaped their life’s. Whether it is culturally or spiritually, learning the experiences of others can help me understand a team, group, or an organization better. Another way I can challenge my thought process is to not assume so much about others experiences in their life. What may not seem like a big problem may be one of the biggest problems to someone else. So by not being judgmental and assuming things about a person, I can instead, challenge my self to show empathy and to learn and accept their experiences that makes each person unique and special.

• Every day we will be faced with different challenges. It is super important to always think about the people you’re leading. Their Experiences are the most important in an organization. Great organizations are great because they have so many different cultures of people. Its always extremely important to pay attention to the cultures and make sure everyone is headed in the right direction of what they want. My experiences in the past with my thought process I feel as I’m doing good on this type of topic involving culture. You have to learn as you go.

• As Dr. Pewewardy discussed his concept of warrior leadership, I felt challenged make changes to advance my leadership skills. In order to challenge my thought process, I believe that introducing myself to more people and exposing myself to different cultures within my community will help to challenge how I think. This will help to expand friendships across the community and help diversify the cultures among each other. Also, it would help create new leadership styles learning from different cultures because of the way they establish leadership through their culture. Diversifying myself with other cultures would really help leadership capabilities and improving my skills with creating friendships with other cultures.

• Caylin Talk

There are many ways in which I could challenge my though process, such as: trying to avoid having negative thoughts, turn unhelpful thoughts or ideas into those that may be beneficial, and be openminded to every individuals ideas, regardless if I agree or not. These techniques would ultimately advance my learning and allow me to possibly see others perspectives in a more understanding manner.

• Caleb Armer

Leadership is something that has to be open to all that are being lead to be affected. You must learn about others lives and beliefs in order to conduct your leadership as good as it possibly can be. I can be more vocal in my interest of others and their lives. I notice things that people do, wear, etc., and I am interested but I never ask which is something I could change in my daily life.

• madison walker

One thing I can do to challenge my thought process to be more in tune to the experiences of others and advance my learning would be to listen. Listen to what others have to say. Be there to listen when someone is talking about their diversities. I can challenge myself by getting out of my comfort zone.

• Blake Houston Hauenstein

I have always been someone who enjoys different points of view as well as putting myself into other people’s shoes. As a result, thinking from different perspectives and understanding other cultures has always come relatively easy to me. I don’t mean to brag, boast, or oversell myself in any way. I’m simply stating that because I’m constantly changing the way I think and the relative point of view I have as well as increasing my understanding of others as much as a I can plainly because I enjoy doing so, I’m already doing what this prompt asks of me in spades. Also, expanding one’s way of thinking to try to understand others is difficult because one must be open minded and willing to have their own thoughts on matters and perspectives of the world change, came into conflict, and cause confusion for a short time. People like to be certain of their thoughts and beliefs, and it can be hard for someone to actively try to change or even challenge that. Also, no realizes when or if or by how much they are close minded until they open their minds and realize their folly. So, trying to force or teach someone on how to do the switching of perspectives I so enjoy and find natural is impossible because it is a process that can only be achieved in their minds and only through their effort. The best advise I can give on the matter on how to become open minded and ready enough to challenge one’s own thoughts through the lens of other people and other cultures is simply to become more curious about it and develop a hunger for changing one’s own perspective accordingly.

Furthermore, I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Pewewardy that in order to bring back the wisdom of the native american cultures, we must first change the current Eurocentric thinking that we have come to inherent and take as fact and challenge that way of thinking about the world.

• Isabella Katery

I think it is very important to listen to others. Be aware that not all of us act or think in the same way. I think that in a leader it is very important to know how to explore different cultures and thoughts. Be aware of the diversity of ideologies that we have throughout the world. This will make you grow as a person and as a leader. Being an international student has given the opportunity to know many new things when arriving in this country. It has also given me the opportunity to meet many people from different cultures and this has tought me so much.

• Dakota Gann

The key to leadership through different lenses would have to be empathy, or the ability to mentally place yourself in someone else’s situation. I try to practice empathy, but it’s not the easiest concept to implement. When I disagree with someone, I try to see their point of view rather than mine. I think the skill is extremely valuable in both executive and servant leadership roles. When faced with a difficult task, I tend to ask myself, “What would (insert role model’s name here) do?” This thought process usually helps me come to a clear conclusion when faced with adversity if I can’t figure it out on my own.

• Dakota Gann

The key to this leadership skill would have to be empathy. When in any leadership role, I try to place myself in the shoes of my peers to see how they would react if I did certain things. This type of empathy helps until I’m faced with a problem I can’t solve on my own. I then ask myself, “What would (insert role model’s name here) do?” This kind of thinking usually helps me overcome whatever problem is blocking my path. I think this skill is very valuable in both executive and servant leadership roles.