Week 9 – Lessons in Leadership – Melissa Houston

During Melissa’s presentation she discussed integrating her passion(s) throughout her professional career. What is your passion and how do you align your passion with your future professional and personal goals?

• Hannah Morrison

My passion and career goals were actually discovered simultaneously a few years ago. As I job-shadowed a Speech-Language Pathologist, I realized that I had not only stumbled across an exciting career, but also an underlying passion of mine. Through that profession, I found that I would have the opportunity to assist others in developing one of the most important skills in life: communication. My oldest brother has a condition that affects his ability to interpret communication signals properly, and I got to witness first-hand how a Speech-Pathologist assisted him in learning social cues, amongst other things. I suppose that I am pretty lucky that my professional and personal passions already overlap. Because of this, I anticipate maximally enjoying both my work and personal lives.

• Phoebe Barnes

I have a big passion for kids. My entire life I have loved kids and often babysit. This ties into my career as I want to be a pediatric nurse. I want to help kids feel like a kid when they may be in a situation where they normally would not be able to (feel like a kid). I want to bring joy to kiddos who need it the most and that drives me.

• Nathan Henry

This is a tough one for me to answer because I don’t think I’ve really found my passion yet. I have a passion for hockey and I have a passion for helping and loving people. I also have a passion for giving my daughter the best life I can. The latter is more a result of the passion I put into my professional career. My passion for helping people is more applicable than my passion for hockey – in Oklahoma at least – because there are many ways I can fuse that passion with my career. I could work for a nonprofit, or even work for a for profit company and try to gear it more towards the consumer’s needs. I haven’t found my true specific passion yet. But I know that whatever I do, my passion to help people and to give my daughter the world will drive me to do it to the best of my ability.

• Kateri Krug

One of my passions is helping and working with others. Currently, I am majoring in communications, but I hope to do something in PR. I know that by meeting new people and making connections with them, I have created new networks that may benefit me in the future. By helping and working with others, I have learned that I like to work in groups to make one big project. I enjoy listening to other peoples input, and using it to further whatever we are working on. I am also very passionate about the arts, and I hope that a career in PR could lead me to work with production companies, actors/actresses, and maybe television/movie advertisement.

• Haleigh Himes

Melissa mentioned that she tried things that excited her and ignited her passion. For myself, I want a career that ignites my passion. I’m passionate about people and justice, that’s why I’ve chosen to pursue a degree in criminal justice. I’m not sure exactly where I’ll land among it, but I would love to do work with victims and juvenile offenders. Another point Melissa made was that she wanted her work to be meaningful to her, and I think that is another reason I want to pursue this type of work. I think that in the criminal justice system I’ll find many opportunities that are meaningful to me; whether that be comforting and hearing victims or helping rehabilitate juveniles.

• Anna Schmidt

I think my greatest passion is thinking. I love to learn new material, apply it to my own life, form an opinion, and share it. When I’m learning something new and interesting, I feel inspired, and more passionate about my life, my future, and the world around me. So how am I going to integrate that into my professional life? I’m not really sure how I’m going to specifically apply it, or to what job, but I have two goals I want to accomplish using this passion. I want a job that allows me to always feel like I’m getting better, I’m growing, and I’m discovering parts of myself and my community that mean something. My other goal is to be intentional in the way that I share my information with others. It’s easy for me to just kind of discover new things and keep them to myself. Sometimes its really difficult for me to go out and speak up, but ultimately I’m not sure that learning and thinking really has a purpose if we can’t use it to better our society. So I may not know what my future looks like, by I do know that I will always be contemplating, learning, thinking, and applying the knowledge I gain to a cause that will develop our society positively.

• Kacie Teigen

Ever since I really started to figure out my passions in middle school and high school influencing people has always been at the forefront of that list. No matter what I was involved in or what I had time for I always made sure that I was in some kind of origination that was making a difference to others. The way I see it is if I get to the end of my life and I can look back and say that I impacted at least one life in a positive way that I’m doing something right. One of the best origination’s that I’ve had the opportunity to be involved in is RYLA, (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) which has allowed me to spend my last two fall breaks at a camp leading a group of roughly 25 high school juniors to discover their potential to be great leaders in their school and community. Every year that I’ve been to this camp I’ve seen student’s lives change right in front of me and it caused me to realize that I am the best version of myself when I’m helping others and that’s ultimately changed my career path. I don’t know exactly where I’m going but I know that I want to end up in a career that allows me to work with young adults to help them realize their full potential. If I would have never realized how strong this passion is for me I firmly believe that I would’ve stayed on the wrong career path and been miserable in the career I was pursuing. I don’t know exactly where I’m going to end up but being flexible and knowing what best fits my gifts and passions has allowed me to be confident that one day I’ll end up exactly where I need to be.

• Rachel Hunt

I noticed throughout Mrs. Houston’s presentation, she has a passion for solving problems. My passion may seem simple, but ever since I was a little kid, I have found so much joy in helping people especially children. Pairing my strength in science and my passion, I am dedicating my career to pediatric physical therapy. As a physical therapist, I will be able to help patients physically and emotionally as they recover and become healthier. I will be able to spend intentional time with each patient weekly which will help me develop relationships with them; I will have the opportunity to encourage and love on them through this. Another thing that is great about physical therapy is that it can be extremely flexible. I will be able to travel and help people in developing countries; my service will not be limited to the United States. I can help people on short term trips, or I might decide to move somewhere and open my own clinic. I will be able to combine my professional passion, serving, and my personal passion, traveling. I am so excited to become a physical therapist because it will not feel like a job.

• Molly Booth

I have always had a passion for children, since I was very young. That has never waned or faded. I also greatly enjoy helping people to learn things, to open there eyes to new concepts and ways of thinking. This was a big factor when choosing my major. When it came to deciding a career path, I had no idea. It seemed that there was nothing that I excelled at. However, after talking to my parents and close friends, they told me that the passions I already had were the things I excelled at. So, then after careful consideration I decided to go into elementary education. Since then, I’ve worked hard and become very excited about incorporating my passion for kids into my future lifestyle. It is, honestly, amazing to put your passions into your everyday life.

• Graysen Boyer

I am actually currently in the process of completely changing my career goals. Previously, I was pursuing my passion for dance and people with disabilities. I was planning on doing this by creating a dance and theatre program for these people. However, I have seen a wonderful opportunity arise in my career plan. I have an opportunity to follow another one of my passions, family, and pursue my grandmother’s current career. I also have a passion for math. I do not really understand why, but I have always loved math classes. She is an accountant, and I hope to follow in her footsteps and be just like her.

• Alexis Peeper

Whenever I think about what my passion is my mind always goes to wanting to help others. Ever since I was younger my goal was to make sure everyone was happy. My future goals align well with my passion because I will be able to use my knowledge in science while being a dermatologist to help my patients. When it comes to my future personal goals I want to get married, have kids and preform research to make advancements in the dermatology world. I will be able to pursue my passion through those goals by caring for my family as they grow and go through struggles and laying down the foundation for the potential findings of new solutions to dermatology problems.

• Madison Walker

My passion is helping others. I recently worked in a nursing home to get some experience in the health field. I am majoring in Nursing and helping others is a major part in this career. When I worked at a nursing home I felt like I was needed, and we can all agree it feels good to be wanted. I was a lot of the residents’ favorite CNA because I loved to sit and talk with them and make them feel loved. Working with the elders, or even a variety of people, no matter who it is or what age, I feel a great sense of confidence when I am the one helping.

• Jared Bross

I think that the most useful passion i have in a professional sense is my enjoyment of research. This is not a common passion, most people don’t enjoy trying to search for new answers or slogging through content. I don’t really know what I want to do, but i know that it’s useful to have someone who is willing to go and look for answers. Most of the business problems people have questions about have answers if people are just willing to look around. I am the kind of person who is willing to go out and look for that answer if it is attainable.

• Mandy Woodward

In the past I always struggled with finding out what my passion truly was and understanding it. Nothing ever stood out to me and I was just going through the motions in everything I did, not really being motivated by anything. It wasn’t until recently that I realized that I had two passions. One being making connections with people while helping them become the best versions of themselves, and another being planning and serving others. I had gone back and forth on my major millions of times and I finally decided that Strategic Communications would help me practice my passion everyday and really achieve my goals. My dream job after graduation would be planning events that help the greater good and getting to see it follow through. I am not sure exactly what I am going to be doing, but I know I’m on the right path in aligning my passion and goals together. I want to be able to make a difference in the community where I am placed because seeing the joy it brings others is so fulfilling.

• Caylin Talk

One thing I am incredibly passionate towards is my ability to help others. In order to incorporate this passion with a future profession, I plan on becoming either a nurse or speech pathologist so that I am able to use my future knowledge of the field, as well as any skills acquired to further my ability to help those who may not be getting reached. A personal goal of mine in to join the Peace Corps sometime after college so that I am able to help in any way that I possible can within another country while gaining an experience that I feel I may never be able to truly repay.

• Riley Jensen

I have a passion for politics, current events, and advocacy. With this, I hope to pursue a degree in marketing, and eventually work to foster achievements for things that I’m passionate about. So far, this has been through a lot of political campaigns, but in the future I see myself focusing on nonprofit management and marketing. Working in nonprofit advocacy allows me to focus on a key issue or umbrella of issues, and practice servant leadership, another passion of mine.

• Aubrey Crook

I very much enjoyed listening to Melissa Houston speak this week. It served as a reminder that life will take you where you are meant to go with hard work and a good attitude. I have spent a lot of time trying to identify my passions and how it will play into my professional career throughout this semester in college. I know that I love helping people in my community, and I very much enjoy literature and philosophy. Expanding my skills in these areas will help me have a career in life that will make me happy and fulfill my life. My plan at this moment is to attain my bachelors in Business Law, and then get my Law degree. I hope to use this knowledge to help people in my community but also use my strengths in the work field.

• Emily Hurt

I am extremely passionate about psychology and understandings what events might cause certain behaviors. I really enjoy analyzing people and I plan to use this as a behavioral analysis. This would also allow me to help people which brings me great joy. Something else that I am very passionate about is dance. I currently work at a dance studio teaching. I would love to combine psychology and dance and perhaps write a book over the behavioral analysis of improv dance. Improv is where a dancer just moves to music what feels right to them and I would really like to study what certain traits and behaviors can cause people to move certain way without them even realizing it. I would really enjoy being able to help people decipher their motions through analyzing their movement.

• Kamryn Johnson

There are many things in life I am passionate about, but there is one specific area that I have a deeper passion for. My biggest passion in life is helping and being involved with special needs individuals. One of my goals is to make a difference in some persons life, the community and the university. One thing I try to do, to align my goals with my passion is to volunteer at various special needs events. Every summer, I volunteer at the special olympics and get to help serve and interact with special needs individuals. Another thing I do to align my passion with my goals, is volunteer at A Night To Remember which is a dance for individuals who have special needs. I participate in all of these events because I’m truly passionate about the individuals it involves and the purpose it stands for. But, I also participate in these events because it helps me accomplish my goal of feeling like what I’m doing is making a difference.

• Alaina Webster

Most people are more passionate about a specific task. For example, helping people, a lot of people say they get into heir profession to help people or inspire people. Well, my major is Funeral Services so everything I am going to do is helping people, but that is not the reason I am going into it. I am going into funeral services for myself. i think it is important for everybody to consider what makes them happy and what they enjoy doing before they decide what they what to do. Why go through school just to end up doing something you don’t enjoy? You have to focus on your happiness first, but always in moderation. For me going into Funeral Services is about what I enjoy learning about and where I want to spend the rest of my life. After I graduate I want to live in New Orleans. It is literally my dream city and has a high demand for my dream job. Both my happiness and support depend on my future profession.

• Dakota Gann

As a leader, I have a passion for helping others. Whether that be through any kind of community service or just being there for my constituents, helping people makes me happy. I plan to align this with my professional career through another passion, business. I plan to become a financial advisor and help people in that way, allowing me to act simultaneously on my passion for helping others and for business. In my personal life, I plan to continue to give back to whichever community I may be in, whether it be through charity of just making a general impact on the community.

• Caleb Armer

My passion is to be successful and to see others be successful. I believe this passion drives me to work hard at everything I do. I am in the college of business because I would love to work with a team and see myself and others grow and succeed together. I often envision a future for myself where I am successful and happy, and that motivates me to continue to do work and stay focused so that I can have that life for me and my family. I use this passion as motivation every day to keep myself focused on my every day tasks.

• Keisy Quiel

I liked Melissa’s presentation; it was dynamic and interesting. She said that it is OK to try different things and not be successful in all. I agree with that because if you fail in something this will not determine your success. I was impressed in how she described her different experiences and passion for the things that she does. My passion is to learn and understand how the world and the different countries work. Another thing that passionate me is talking and share the things that I learn. It can be aligned with my future professional because I am studying business communication. When I started my major, I thought that it was only about management and business. However, Through of my classes, I figured out that it implies many things for example In People Management, I have to learn the key leadership and communication skills that I need to be a successful leader and build a strong organization. Furthermore, I will be able to develop the ability to take a high-level, strategic view that is necessary to identify opportunities and to stay ahead of external forces such as new competition and others interesting thing. This is aligned with my goals to develop my knowledge and develop more my skills to my professional future.

• Sophia Cuyo

My passion is to travel, to meet new people, to reach out to people, and to lend a helping hand to those in need. For both my professional and personal goals, my goal is to be successful through meeting people, knowing them, learning from them, and working with them. At this point in life up to where I would already be working in the near future, I will be meeting a lot of people. Whatever job I’ll take, I will still be meeting new people. This is where my passion to meet new people and reach out to them comes in. Some will be easy to work with, while some will be a challenge and difficult to deal with, whatever it is, it’s still dealing with people both ways. Not only do I work with them, but I also get to learn a lot of things from them such as from their experiences, advices, mistakes, achievements, etc. In addition, another one of my personal goals is to go to mission trips or if I can’t go, I will fully support it instead. Going on mission trips does not only involve traveling, but the main focus is to go somewhere to help those who are in need or less fortunate, probably. This is like hitting two birds with one stone–my love for traveling and helping out or reaching out to people.

• If we talk about passions, I have so many passions which I cannot list all of them. However, among all of them, the biggest passion of mine would be making permanent and steady relationships with the people I have met throughout my life. I cannot become an effective and successful leader without my friends, co-workers. Like Miss. Ann Ackerman said in the previous presentation: “Your network, is your net worth”, my friends play an important role not only in the way to find happiness in my life, but also in the way to help me find my true place, my true career. As Melissa said that she had been trying so many jobs before she could find her suitable career. She did not regret doing them, because every single job she took brought her new precious experiences and made who she is today. I couldn’t agree more with her perspective, every acquirement you get are all worthy for your future goals. Back to my passion, how my friends have something to do with my personal aims? Every one of them is my experiences, my lessons just like the ones Melissa had had through her different jobs. Together, we both can learn, we both overcome the challenges, and we both reach our goals. People know I am a diligent and reliable person with whom they are willingness to lend a hand. Back to my country, we have a proverb: “Two heads are better than one”

• Makenzie Hill

I feel like all of my passions directly correlate to the path I am on for my life both professionally and personally. I was always taught that if you aren’t passionate about everything you are doing, then you shouldn’t be doing it, so that is the mindset I have really embraced especially now that I am in college and getting closer to the “big girl” world. My recent passion has become connection. Connection with people, connection with things, connection with my environment. Lately, I have found myself just going through the motions. I get up, go to class, go to another class, and go home. There isn’t much conversation, there isn’t much of anything… It is just me getting through the day. So after talking to a couple of people in the last week or so I made it a priority to build my connections whether that be with my friends, my professors, my family, and UCO in general. I have had to remind myself that not everyone gets the opportunities that I have been given. Not everyone has a chance to pursue their career through higher education. In choosing Psychology as my major, I knew I wanted to make a difference. I am still not totally set on how, but I know I want to leave this world better than how I entered it. Connection will be a huge part of that. Whether I end up in a counseling office doing therapy, or working in a non-profit organization, building connections is huge. Making that a priority and a passion now will only continue to benefit me on my personal and professional path… Wherever those may lead.

• Renzo Villanueva

Always since a young age, I had a passion for higher education. My parents being the main reason for this passion have been the reason why I do what I do. While my future goal has now turned into being in the hospital helping patients and saving lives. But a personal goal of mine is actually starting a program to help kids from minority backgrounds start thinking about college while being in high school. I came from a really “ghetto” elementary called Apollo. Slowly as I went through my education career, I started realizing that most of my friends from school were going down the wrong path. Come to find out most of the alumni from Apollo are considered in the minority standard. Being one of the kids that actually made it out and now is attending UCO and getting my degree without paying a dime shows me that anything is possible. I want to be the example for as many kids as I can be that show them how important education is, and how they can prove people wrong that we can become someone in this world that matters.

• Kennedy Staton

It is so important for your passions to align with your professional career in order for you to love what you do. One of my passions is helping others. I plan to align this passion with my career as a nurse. My goal is to to help others and make a difference in my patients’ lives.

• Carlos Perez

I think that a lot of people in this world have a passion in their lives that help them to improve themselves. talking by myself my passion is to listen to another people. Listen is a good passion I think because it can guide to me to the correct way. Always people need to listen to others we can learn about them or about important things just listening, we need to listen to our coworker, classmates or our family in short words we need to listen all people that we met. This passion can help me in my personal live like in my professional live too.

• Brenda Martinez

According with Melissa’s presentation, answer the question What is your passion and how do you align your passion with your future professional and personal goals? My passion is efective communication because great leaders are great communicators. They are passionate people to understand and communicate correctly. And that’s how I am. I try always to be able to understand the people with whom I live, whether they are known or not, because good communication is the key to success, Likewise, as I try to have good communication, I try to listen to them without losing the opportunity they hear me too. This passion helps me a lot to align my professional and personal future in being able to take this capacity to work places and to challenges that may arise in them.

• Jordan Broiles

My passion is, providing a voice for those who don’t feel that they don’t have a voice. I love to advocate for the marginalize community in making sure that they are adequately being represented in the mainstream society. Through this I continue to read books to make sure that I stay on historical and modern days issues a race and gender issues. I continue to be heavily involved in particular organizations that allows me to practice my passion. I continue to be engage via social media; connecting myself to other like minded people that will continue to challenge me in my activism work. With all of these things, I want to go into Higher Education and be a knowledge practitioner. I want to teach but also practice within different cultural offices on predominately white campuses. I want to continue to develop research that speaks to the experiences of the marginalize community. I want to utilize my creative artistic skills to provide the space and voice for the marginalize community. This passion of mine came to me unexpectedly
    but I know I was called to do this line of work. I look forward to seeing everything transpire.

• Abdulmalik Shehu

My Passion is building bridges, bringing people together. I aspire to become a police officer that will make a difference in the U.S. I want to be in a position that will make people in the minority groups to believe in members of the law enforcement, to be able to open up to them whenever they feel threatened by anything. my passion is to build bridges instead of burning them.

• Kallie Daniel

My passion is advocating for people in need, whether that means they need equality or water. I love to see a project that is benefiting people. For the last three years, I have wore a dress all of December to advocate for women enslaved in human trafficking. Since I am an active member of the organization, I receive updates when they rescue someone from human trafficking. It makes Dressember totally worth the cold legs. I do not know how this passion is going to play a role in my future profession, because I do not really know what I am going to do with my life yet. As for personal goals, I plan on staying active in my advocating roles such as fair trade, fighting to end human trafficking, and sponsoring the education of children that can not afford it.

• Baylee Schmidlkofer

I feel like I am passionate about several different things, and each of my passions can relate to different aspects of my future career. One thing that I am passionate about is making a difference in a person’s life, whether it is being a friend of helping in a time of need. I know that no matter my career path I can go the extra mile and make a difference in the life of my colleagues. As Melissa Houston spoke she made it known that her career has taken several different paths. I don’t know where I am going to start our, but I know that I can provide service and make an impact along the way.

• Paige Warrior

My passion is geared towards unity of all communities. I am driven by my faith as well as my desire to shape the world towards a positive direction. Within the professional realm of my life, I am wanting to be faced with communities that differ from the ones that I am already fully aware of. I want to grow the face of healthcare throughout the varying nations of the world. Within the personal part of my life, I want to continue to love on people throughout my service in church and with those on the campus of UCO.

• D'Lajiah Fields

My passion is helping people feel better about themselves. Helping people feel better about themselves is something I have always been good at. As far as my personal goals in helping people, I do hair, make up and even styling. My future career plans consist of making people feel better about themselves through Dental hygiene, because I believe every great conversation starts with a smile.

• Abigail J Spiers

I have always been passionate about helping others and watching them smile. I am excellent with children. I am a really good communicator and really great at math and science. It is for these reasons that my goal in life is to become an orthodontist or a pediatric dentist (haven’t decided which one yet!). My personal goal includes being happy and finding my purpose in life. I believe that becoming the occupation that I want will help me live out my passions for helping others and creating beautiful smiles!

• We are living in a world that the people like to dream. I am a young girl that have many dream that I want to get it. something that you can dream, it is easy, just you have to think in your dream and that is good, but for you get it you must start working in them. One of my biggest passion is finished my major that is civil Engineering. I just studied a year this major in my country, and it is hard. Sometimes you can said that you cannot do it, sometimes you cry because you studied all the night for an exam and you got bad grade, or sometimes you want to stop because you feel that you cannot do it, and yes! There are sometimes that is hard because nothing is easy in this life, but I am sure that with God everything is possible. I need to work hard in my passion, and one of the way is studiy so much and never give up, without important if I fall down, I have to stand up and to continue, because that is that I want to do for the rest of my life.

• Austin Markham

Melissa Houston was a prime example of a hustler. Someone who quote “never was an expert” in the job/field she was going into, but she remained confident in herself. Working amongst a majority male dominated career field, Ms. Houston had to set herself apart but treat everyone equal at the same time, because that is exactly what she wanted, an equal chance, and that is exactly what she was given. To work for Homeland Security, and the Governor is so inspiring and ensures me that hard work will always pay off.

• Jimmey Brown

I have a passion for business and helping make people’s lives easier. I try to align my passion with proper planning outlining where I am right now, and when I plan to reach my destination. I have a strong desire to help other people because activity that involves uplifting and motivating comes naturally for me. I know having passion alone isn’t going to be my ultimate success, that’s why I am committed to improving my skills and experiences to growing my passion each day. For me, everything has to do with setting personal goals because they help me stay focus, build discipline, and be consistent with my objective. That’s how I go about being passionate about my future and everything else.

• Drew Rosko

Mrs. Houston was, by far, my favorite speaker so far! I felt that she was someone who I could relate to regarding my personality and work ethic! My passion is serving others. In my future career as a teacher and throughout my journey through the administration, I will have multiple opportunities to serve students, parents. my colleagues, and more. Both my career and my passion go together hand in hand. I want to teach and coach, but not out of a book. I want to be a teacher that makes an impact for the betterment of the individual! I am looking forward to growing in my passions and soon my career!
    -Rosko

• Karol Montoya

My passion is seeing others get better. Whether that means getting better physically, mentally, or emotionally. It is what puts my heart at ease and a smile on my face. That is why I love making people laugh! The best compliment is getting told I am funny. I align this with my future goals by setting myself up with experiences now to get a feel for what I should expect. Becoming a nurse did not come to me naturally, but being a part of and participating in a program at the Children’s Rehabilitation Center in Bethany did. It showed me my passion and inspired me.

• Angelina Sibimon

I agree that it is important to integrate your passions throughout your professional career because this will allow you to have fun and do things you like doing even while working. One of my biggest passions is to simply help people. Therefore, when I was looking into careers I would enjoy, I made sure I looked into careers that would allow me to help others.

• Tucker Pawley

My passion in life is to succeed and be the best version of me I could possibly be! To be the best version of me possible I have to do many things in order to be that. Those things are by giving myself the best opportunity possible socially and academically. Socially by meeting as many people as I possibly can and not just meet them but have relationships with them. Academically, work as hard as I can be to put myself in the best situation to lead people in the future! In my professional career like I said I would like expand my horizon as much as possible to be the best version of me possible and make as many friendships as possible to succeed in life.

• Sage Kroeker

My whole life, I have had a passion for helping people. I am constantly looking for ways to make someone’s day a little better, or assist them in any way I can. Primarily for this reason, I chose Nursing as my career path. Nursing is a clear field of service, and I knew that wherever life takes me, I would be able to be a blessing to someone as a nurse. I believe that a person’s legacy is the impact that they had on the people around them, so I strive to live my life for that purpose. When I chose my major and future career, I wanted to choose something where I could bless people at my job, as well as in my personal life. Ms. Houston spoke about “earning her survival” after she survived the bombing, and in the same way, I want to “earn my existence”. None of us did a single thing to be placed on this earth, but I believe that if we aren’t living to love one another, our existence is shorted from its purpose.

• Christian Coleman

Throughout my life I’ve grown and so have my interest. My interest include international affairs and public policy. These interest are two phases that I hope to have in my professional career at some point. Incorporating these interests in community works as I grow older are very important to me. Giving young people the opportunity to dream and find ways to positively impact their communities drives me to continue the path that I’m on. I one day hope to be the change that many struggling communities wish to see.

• Samir Pitty

Having something that you are passionate about and striving to achieve, is definitely one of the best ways to achieve your goals.
    In the presentation of Dr. Melissa, she explained how her passion for repairing things led her to her current success. I was impressed by the perseverance with which she faced each job, and how she intelligently took skills and experiences from each job to be better in the next.
    She mentioned that we are people from nothing and that this is why we must find something to fight and persevere. My passion is to provide moral support to those who need it and efficiently find solutions that adapt to the needs that arise at that moment, help is an aspect to take into account whatever your passion and my way of aligning my passion with my future is to create many interpersonal relationships with the people, because this will lead me to be successful and to be able to help in greater magnitude the people around me.

• Gabby Clabes

Personally, my passions have always leaned towards children. Being around kids has always seemed to make me happy and make me feel as if I’m in the right place. I have always taught in the children’s department at my church and am a manager at a public pool where I come in contact with young kids on a daily basis. I plan to go into the medical field to become a pediatrician with aligns with my passions perfectly. I love helping others as well as learning new things every day which will be extremely helpful as those wonderful kiddos come to me for help to continue to grow.

• Ryan Lykins

My personal passions are computers and art. Either in film or in classical art. I would love to have a job in the computer industry and be able to use my degree to get to a high paying job. Then I would love to use my money to donate to museums or to buy art and put into my own collections. I would love to have my name over my own area in an art museum somewhere. Or use my money to fund films and begin my own production company.

• Karabo Pamela Moalafi

Any question that resonates the meaning passion and how it relates to oneself is always a hustle and bustle momentum for me. What is passion and how do you note that indeed whatever you are doing resembles what you are passionate about? If passion is said to go alongside the inevitable things one likes to do then will my habitual rota be labelled as a passion? If so, then I am passionate about making my society literate about their finances but more focused in stock markets to be precise. This is just an acquired skill you attain through knowledge and having the right mentorship and if I can get to change at least an individual’s life on their view and perception on monetary spending and income and how to break free from the debt trap that the mainstream has set and has become a norm to almost the whole population of my society, then that would be a deal breaker and a pleasant thing to me. This is so because I’d get to change peoples lives through their finances because everybody longs for a vacation at the Caribbean or a luxurious car, house, clothes and the list go on and on but these things always seem far-fetched to the financially illiterate because of how their bank account is like. The question then becomes how do I incorporate such a skill rather a passion for my professional and personal life. The simple answer is, I carry my ambience with me all the time irrespective of my career life or personal life and this makes life a whole lot easier.

• Jacqueline Cabrera

My passion is service. I love being able to lend a helping hand when and where I can. Helping others has always been a priority to me considering my biggest strength is includer. I believe everyone has a voice for a reason and some just need a little more helping using it than others. Appreciating what we have and finding ways to improve it has and always will be important to me. I plan on aligning my passion for my future professional and personal goals by assuring I keep up with it. I want to make sure I do some sort of service at least once a month and also help introduce others to the same opportunities. The career I want to pursue just so happens to do this on a regular basis so that will only help me with my personal goals even more. My passions are things I will continue to strength with an obstacle and Melissa only helped encourage me even more with that.

• Breely Frasco

Truly, I have never known what exactly I wanted to do in my professional life. There are quite a few things that I am interested in such as philanthropic work, sports, and children. Due to the fact that I haven’t known exactly what I wanted to be “when I grow up”, I decided to focus on my strengths and faith in the reasoning behind those. When we took the Strengths Finder test, my first strength was Belief. I believe very strongly that my strength of determination & hard work will lead me to serve people. I hope to serve people in 3rd world countries advocating for funds, as well as something to do with children in the future.

• James Limbaugh

I have a passion for improving the world around us and helping people. For me, It has always brought me great satisfaction to see other people happy. Connecting this to my professional career, I want to improve the way people live their lives. Specifically I want to improve our education system, either through teaching in the class room or fighting for funding in a legislature. For me personally, I try to align my passion for helping people by doing the little things. Opening doors for people, complimenting someone, or just saying hello can go a long way in improving someones life, and I strive to do that every day.

• Brevin Senner

One thing I took away from Mrs. Houston was just like what the question said. She found her passion of wanting to help people and finding out that was something she was very good at. I think finding your passion is definitely not an easy task and most people have to go through a lot to find what they really want. I know like a lot of people of my generation, I find social media very useful and see bright opportunities with it for my future. I would love to excel in social media or online marketing in the future. As much as a lot of older people do not like social media, it is not going away soon so it is best to make use of it. I hope to be able to get the older generation of people to not hate on us younger folk and appreciate the good things that can come from social media.

• Elizabeth Plunkett

My passion is and has always been to help other people; I strive to give back to the world and my community by volunteer work. Also along with volunteer work, I constantly want myself to be kind and welcoming to anybody I meet, that way I can help them mentally, too.
    I changed my major to education for several reasons. In my profession as a teacher and sports coach one day, I will use my passion to teach students not only school subjects, but also leaderships skills, life skills, how to give back to their communities, and how to overall be a great person to everybody around them. By my being a teacher to younger people than I, I hope to change the minds of others in order to change the world.

• Having passions can really benefit ones being by pushing or letting them take more control in what they are trying to achieve. Passions can range from person to person. Personally, my passions include a few things. I have a passion for health and taking care of my body. This involves working out, eating healthy (for the most part, sometimes I’ll slam a couple cheeseburgers or eat a pint of ice cream) etc. Another passion of mine is becoming an engineer. For the longest time I have always wondered what it would be like to try and take technology or an industry to the next level by designing or implementing a more advanced product. Having these two passions are what keep me motivated in what I am trying to do. Every day I work towards these goals by trying to perfect or get a little closer to my goals. I align my passion of being an engineer with my future professional goals by staying involved with my studies. My first goal will be to obtain a bachelors in mechanical engineering. This would help me find a job that I am able to finally try and advance a certain industry. However, lifting is a little different passion. My health can never be a goal. I will always be trying to better myself and keep pushing to the next level. It is my goal to be able to live a healthy lifestyle so that it will be able to benefit me in the long run. I hope to be able to carry these two on for the rest of my life. Mechanical engineering is my professional goal, whereas, health is my personal. These two compliment each other very well to the fact I don’t believe they will ever interfere with one another.

• Cynthia Gallardo

My passion is learning about anything and everything I can. I am always picking up new things to spend my time learning about. It ranges from random facts, to instruments, to languages. Even if I do not master any of these skills, I get to experience every one at least once! It is a very broad passion, but that means I get to implement it in a lot of aspects of my life. I want to be a professional photographer when I graduate, specializing in advertising and fashion photography. Being passionate about learning new things is important in this profession, because there is always going to be new technology, new trends, and every shoot has its own learning curve. One of my personal goals is to travel the word, not only to sight see, but to immerse myself into different cultures. A person cannot do that without an open mind and a drive to learn. In the future, my life can take unexpected turns, but I am sure that my passion of learning will always help me.

• It’s important to identify the things you are passionate about. Finding your passion can make your career more fulfilling and your live richer. My passion is empowering and helping others. Many people figure out what they are passionate about through experience. Becoming a volunteer to gain experience in an area you are passionate about can help you figure out what your future professional goals will be.

• Blake Houston Hauenstein

My passion is tea. My dream is to one day open a tea shop. I often find myself taking a lot of time out of the day to learn more about the subject due to passion, curiosity, and greater knowledge in the area I want to work in one day. That knowledge I know how to find and enjoy seeking out. However, the knowledge I need to know to make my dream a reality is not something I enjoy nor know how to discover. That knowledge is how to open and operate a business. So, while my personal goals on the matter come easy and I enjoy achieving them in small increments everyday. The vital knowledge I need to achieve my professional goals could only be learned through college. That is why I chose my degree in operations and supply chain management. So, that I could have through knowledge and then through experience the specific jobs the degree will grant me all that I need to be able to open a tea house and make it profitable.

• Keondra Whisenhunt

I have always had a passion for knowledge. I am eager to learn about various aspects of life whether it is learning school subjects or different cultures/languages. I want to pursue a career in genetics which is currently a growing field. Which is why I am interested in genetics because the field will allow me to discover new areas of genetics. It will feed my need to learn. I want to push myself now and in the future push myself to explore other areas of the world and travel. I want to immerse myself in multiple cultures and understand how others live. It is important to continue attaining knowledge and learning as much as possible because that is how we grow as people. Finding your passion makes life easier and find careers that suit us as individuals.

• Sheila Claunch

I have a passion for helping others and I strive to always do my best to help anyone in any way that they need it. I am majoring in Early Childhood Education so in my future career, I will be able to use my passion of helping others in so many ways. I will be able to help my future students in so many ways. I also use my passion for helping others right now by volunteering at many different places and doing a lot of community service events. I hope to later be able to use my passion for helping others by continuing to do community service events and helping out my community in any way possible.

• Lincoln Lehew

My passion is to be able to impact people everyday. Whether it’s making them feel good, talking to them, or just saying hi, I want to be able to impact someone by being a good person. I plan on using that in non profit work by impacting lives that need it. I want to be able to help the people that need it and where they need it. My goal everyday is to make someone different smile everyday. You make friendships but you don’t know what you will do for that person. I want to be able to be impactful as possible.

• Katie Edmonson

My passion is working with others and within the community, I know that for sure. I’m still looking for what specific aspect I’m just nuts about. I’m
    continuing to build into that by pursuing internships that can allow me to build those skills. Recently I’ve become interested into the internship called The Journal Record Legislative State, it’s an internship to work along our legislators by keeping note of what’s happening and they will put it into the Oklahoma policy review article. The reason why I found interesting into the looking into this internship was because of what Melissa said about continuing to challenge ourselves and to find those things that are pushing the envelope in our interests. I think this would challenge me because it would immerse my writing skills in my love for the community. It also doesn’t hurt that this is a paid internship so it makes me feel like the work that I will be doing is valued because they feel like it’s good enough to be paid for, but that’s only if I get accepted into it.

• Sean Miller

Since I was young, I have been extremely money driven – “make bank ‘til you can buy the bank” kind of mentality, if you will. I have also always been an entrepreneur – starting my own used golf ball business at eight, selling golf balls that landed in the woods behind my house back to the terrible golfers who shot them there in the first place for a discount on Walmart and DSG. Couple the two together and you have a businessman in it for the profits, but only those made morally and from someone besides me benefiting as well. Fast forward to my future, and we shine the spotlight on my love for houses and design as well as helping others save money. Picture Fixer-Upper on HGTV, with a less hands on approach. Enter myself, a real estate agent, finding clients houses $50-100k less than their budgets, and then having the connections and making the calls to make their new less-expensive house their dream home with their remaining budget. All three parties involved come out on top, me through realtor fees and commission on reno work, the client by saving money on the purchase price and having the option to choose every aspect of the reno work, and the companies contracted to do the work. Through my passions for real estate and making money by saving others money, we have a company providing me enormous tax breaks and exponential Rapid Rewards points – allowing me to provide for my family and fulfill my need to be appreciated.

• My passion is dance and tourism, with effort and dedication and heart is easy to align your passion with your purpose and goals for the future you simply mix carefully what you like, what you do and so you can be successful.
    To succeed you must have patience and know how to wait for things to go well.

• Isabella Katery

My biggest passion in this world is art, like music, drawing or dancing. It makes me feel happy and stronger anywhere at any time and it taught me a lot. I love the way art allows people explore through their creativity and creativity is never enough. It also helped me to know my strengths and express myself.
    As my major is graphic design, I want to develop innovative ideas through my designs. I want to transmit my experience and express clear ideas in my work. Art helps me to increase and improve my creativity in my work. It also hepls me to communicate with people. Art is part of my work.

• Jaxon Missey

My passion is to create change for the better. I know that is very broad, but it is honest. I am not 100% sure what career I will pursue. I do know that whatever career I choose will have what I deem to be a positive impact on the lives of others. Right now, I am strongly considering pursuing a career in law. Through this career I can follow my passion for positive impact by facilitating and possibly writing legislation and reform to help make others lives collectively better. From a personal standpoint I think a passion for positive impact is applicable in a variety of ways. Through faith, volunteerism, or even in every day interaction with others , making a positive impact can happen in any scenario.

• My passion in everything I do is to be the best person at whatever I do in life. I want to be able to build a work ethic that can be contagious in a positive way. Giving 110% in everything you do is important no matter what it is. My professional goals is to not get complacent in anything I do. I want to be able to be director or executive director of a company. My person goals is to be the best husband, father, and friend so I can provide for my family.

• A huge a passion of mine is help, teach, and inspire others. Through others inspiring me to chase after my dreams, and helping me with great support, it has been something that I have grew a passion for and believe that is something i must have in my future professional and personal goals. I align my profesional and personal goals with that because if it wasn’t for others I wouldn’t have been able to be in the place I am today. I set my goals a lot of the times to help teach others about college, leadership, and provide opportunities. One of my goals in college is to help high school students learn more about college and where they can find resources to help them. I have met many student where I grew up wanting to go to college, however, they don’t receive the support they want because it’s the cycle their family has lived for. I want to be able to help those students believe that they can achieve higher education and find opportunity to better their lives.

• my passion is science and ive always loved how things are they way they are and why. science explains many uncertainties in the world physically. i am a person who asks ‘why’ questions all the time because i wanna why things are the way they are and i feel science explains them for me. i wanna take this and make it a career by working in a laboratory of any sort. i haven’t specified yet but i want to start working as a pharmacist and work from there.