Week 4 Blog – State Senator Adam Pugh

During his presentation, Senator Pugh discussed the importance of relationships in leadership and success. What can you do to continue to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships?

• James Limbaugh

Relationships are an interval part of all types of leadership. Without positive relationships with those you lead, you will not have the same type of respect required for effective leadership. That being said, maintaining relationships takes effort, dedication, and attention. Developing a relationship is pivotal, your first impression can make or break a relationship. Paying attention and listening to someone is key when meeting someone new. Once you have formed a positive relationship, it can be even more difficult to sustain a relationship. Simple things like always saying hello and remembering their name make a major difference. Although it takes energy and effort to establish solid relationships, it is critical to leadership.

• Karabo Pamela Moalafi

Life is all about interactions whether one is an introvert or an extrovert thus, one needs to build up their interpersonal skills. The key thing to healthy relationships is communication. In his book “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make The Leap… and Others Don’t”, author James C. Collins said ” A great leader and a great company can be put into comparison with a bus driver. The bus driver may or may not entirely know his customers personally but he sure knows where they are headed and the same goes for the bus passengers, they know their final destination. Therefore, when the bus driver may lose track of the route in trying to find a different route that leads supposedly to the same destination, his passengers may correct him. In relation to a great leader, he or she may not know all his staff personally but he sure knows the vision and mission of the company alongside staff members, so a great leader ought to be democratic in order to build healthy work relationships by allowing his/her staff to chip in their thoughts and ideas in relation to the goals at hand so that, whatever decision that was made pertaining a certain goal which may harm the business in near future, a worker may be able to voice out their thinking without being glossophobic.

• Tucker Pawley

I believe when Senator Pugh talked about leadership and relationships he was spot on. You must open yourself to as many people as possible and not just say hi or whats up and be done, but you must have a real conversation with them. Through time those relationships will grow through trust and friendship. You never know what that person will be doing down the road to help you out one day or just be a great friend. And by doing those things that will help you sharpen your leadership skills as looking them into their eyes, having real conversations, etc.

• Kateri Krug

In order to develop relationships, I have to reach out and make connections. I am very lucky to go to UCO where there are so many opportunities to get involved and meet new people. I can maintain and sustain relationships by checking in on the people I know, and showing them I genuinely care about them. The little things you do for others goes a long way. The smallest acts of kindness or concern can make the biggest difference in someone’s day. So just make sure you always check in on the people in your life, but do not forget to meet new people to care about.

• Kamryn Johnson

As a leader, one of the most important things you can have in your life is relationships. A leader uses relationships to network and create other relationships, or as an outlet to vent and turn to for advice when things get tough. I think there are three main keys when it comes to developing, maintaining and sustaining relationships. The three main things are communication, appreciation, and paying attention. A relationship can’t become something important in your life without communication. Communication is one of the most important tools used to make a relationship grow and develop. Without it, getting to know someone or getting on the same page as someone would be nearly impossible. Another key aspect in relationships is appreciation. If you don’t appreciate the person in the relationship with you, how will they appreciate you. There needs to be a mutual respect and appreciation for each person in the relationship in order to sustain and maintain it. While the first two values are key roles when it comes to developing, sustaining, and maintaining relationships. The most important one is paying attention. In order for relationships to grow and develop, you have to be willing to pay that person a certain amount of attention. You have to be willing to be present and involved with the conversation or whatever it is you are doing. Without attention, a relationship will not last long, eventually they will die out and lose the importance of the whole thing . As someone who holds relationships very important to them, I use key elements like communication, appreciation and attention to help develop, maintain and sustain them.

• Hannah Morrison

I absolutely agree with Senator Pugh’s comments regarding the importance of relationships in the life of a leader. Relationships are incredibly beneficial for advice, networking, support, and more. Often though, leaders fail to reserve time to focus on these relationships. Whether initiating new relationships or maintaining old relationships, two of the most important aspects are communication and trust. Relationships require consistent effort to fulfill their upmost potential for benefitting everyone involved.

• Phoebe Barnes

Throughout my life I have always been a quality over quantity type person. Because of this, it is relatively easy for me to maintain those who I care for. Relator is one of my strengths I was given in strengths finder which further displays this ability. Developing new relationships sometimes is a challenge for me but I try to push myself and put myself out there. It can be awkward and all at times but I learn something about myself or others through those experiences. I feel it has helped me be better at reaching out. It is always worth it once I click with someone new though because it allows me to for relationships like friendships with others. These friendships and connections are very important for leaders to have influence and be a role-model. Because of this I will keep pushing myself to be a better person, relator, friend, and overall leader.

• Xaviera Burton

In my opinion, in order to develop, maintain and sustain relationships you need to be personable. People build relationships with the ones they relate with. Even if it is something small, if you are closed off or not willing to listen then your relationships will be short lived. Senator Pugh also stated that “You cannot be a good leader if you can’t lead good relationships”. So in other words if you give your best into your relationships, not only will it benefit you, but also everyone else involved.

• Haleigh Himes

State Senator Adam Pugh stated, “Leadership comes down to one key word ‘relationships.'” The way to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships is by building connections with those around you. In order to connect with others you must be willing to share parts of yourself; but as well, be able to listen to others when they share who they are. Many people are just looking for someone to invest in them and let them feel that what they have to say is important. A big part of being a leader to my peers, is making them feel heard, validated, and understood. State Senator Pugh also noted, “Connect with the people you are leading. Know the people you are leading.” It is through these personal relationships that others build trust in you, after all they know you, and you know them.

• Olivia Sharp

Something that I am always aiming towards as a leader is keeping my relationships connected. As a leader, it is crucial to constantly reach out to those that you surround yourself with. Keeping the relationships that you hold on to dearly, and continuing to grow them is beneficial for both the other person and yourself. It shows to the other person your character and how you care for them. Being connected with others builds more trust between each other, and allows you to lead with more impact.

• Rachel Hunt

There is no such thing as a leader without followers. In order to be an effective and respected leader, one must build genuine relationships. Remembering names is one of the most important aspects of developing relationships. People feel important when someone in authority can recognize them and recall generic details about them, such as their name. Compromise is another key factor in maintaining relationships once a connection has been established. It may be difficult at times, but in the end, trust and respect is more important than getting one’s way. Leaders, also, must be encouraging and work-hard to sustain the relationships they have created. Most of all, leaders have to be intentional in every aspect of their lives’. They have to be intentional with how they lead and who they choose to lead because it is all about the people.

• Mandy Woodward

In order to succeed and practice excellent leadership, making connections and having solid relationships is vital. Being a leader is all about developing fellowship with those you are guiding. Once people have a meaningful relationship with you, they will be more eager to follow and listen to what you have to say. Bonds with others can be made by being genuine and positive towards others. Making connections with people is also important, only if you remember those connections. Be the optimist in every situation and point others to the light always. Show them you care and that you are not just a leader, but a friend as well. This will help leaders succeed because they will have a system of people supporting them and willing to follow.

• Molly Booth

Positive relationships are vital to good leadership. They build trust and comfort between the leader and others. I want to do this by always being open in my leading. Being open about your flaws and times when you need help will make you relate-able and trustworthy. This develops a strong connection among any group and their leader. It’s important to maintain this vulnerability so that the relationship between the leader and the group continues to stay strong and developed. I plan to continuously be an open leader to maintain my positive relationships.

• Elizabeth Plunkett

Relationships are key to becoming a successful leader. If everybody in a group has a strong connection, everybody will be passionate about the common goal everybody is trying to meet, and everybody will enjoy working with the same group. Even when you finish your goal with your group, you still have connections to each member, which can further lead to more opportunities for you just by knowing somebody.
    Relationships need to be developed first. In order to do so, I think kindness must be the first step. Nobody wants to form a relationship with somebody who is constantly negative and complains about everything. Once the relationship is created, you must then maintain the friendship by demon stating loyalty. Sometimes when projects are begin, people act like they are really passionate and willing to help out, but then fall through. In order to maintain a relationship, we have to fulfill what we say we are going to do. Lastly, we have to sustain the positive relationships by continuing to show kindness, loyalty, and involvement. In order to keep these relationships, we have to be involved in the lives of others; we cannot just be in the lives of others for a certain time period or only for a project.

• jasmine blue

i thrive off of relationships. they are most important to me because if i have a relationship with someone that lets me know we both have at least something in common and want to encourage each other. the way i maintain relationships is just by being myself. i care alot about people i have relationships which leads me to support and encourage them to the highest degree. this trait keeps my relationships strong and last longer. i will do anything for those who need it and ask fro help.

• Emily Hurt

I personally believe relationships are the key to every form of success in life. With out those people around you to support you or help you form connections you cannot get to where you want to be. I believe to continue to form these relationships people must be willing to look past what negative qualities a person might exhibit and see the strengths and value they posses as a human. As a leader I believe it is my job to see the good in others and in the process of trying to maintain relationships people like to be told the positive qualities they have. In my life times I have lifted others up and made them feel seen and valued have always lead me to the best opportunities.

• Nathan Henry

I think the hardest thing about cultivating and maintaining healthy relationships is being open. It’s hard sometimes for people to accept someone that believes or thinks differently from them. Especially in today’s political environment. Senator Pugh talked about how he keeps an open mind about issues and will always sit down and talk with someone, even if they don’t agree with him, and try to understand their point of view. I think that’s crucial to relationships; not automatically judging or dismissing what you don’t agree with, but instead trying to understand why someone thinks and feels that way, and accepting it.

• Makenzie Hill

If there is one thing I learned very quickly into my first semester of college it is that relationships are everything. Whether that is with your professors, your classmates, your co-workers, or even just the people you pass on your way to class. I think us PLC and LOT students have a big advantage when it comes to developing our relationships, because we are definitely given plenty of opportunities to do so. In high school we were all surrounded by the same people and didn’t have many instances where we had to step out of our comfort zone to meet new people. Now, we are surrounded by people of every background and we can make of that what we want to. Since we are a few weeks in to our school year, many of us have already developed those meaningful relationships that we know will last for a very long time. Maintaining those can be hard. We get busy with our class work, our organizations, and just life. And sometimes forget to invest in the relationships we have gained. No matter what, you always make time for the people and the things that are important to you. So, you have developed your relationships, you have maintained them, but that doesn’t always mean they will last. I am a strong believer in everyone being in your life for a reason. Maybe they will stay and be someone that you have in your wedding, or maybe they will leave. Either way, you are going to learn something from them whether it be good or bad. Overall, relationships are a choice. You choose to have them, you choose to keep them, you choose to make them stronger. Whether or not they succeed or fail is unknown because sometimes things happen that are out of our control, but if we are making a conscious effort to group with those around us then we will all be more successful together.

• Gabby Clabes

Senator Pugh spoke very highly of the importance of relationships in life. to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships, constant effort is required. It is a proven fact that people who are involved and have positive relationships with others are happier as well as more successful in life. Although developing relationships is easy for some people just by initiating a conversation, maintaining a relationship is where people tend to struggle. Communication, trust, and honesty are needed for any positive relationship and any toxic relationship can be made positive if these qualities come into play.

• Jordan Broiles

In my quest to building and maintaining healthy relationships, I’ve challenged myself to always meet people where they’re at. In that, I have to understand that we all come from different perspective and have a different outlook on life. I can’t expect everyone to see everything the way that I see it. I was always strive to be respectful of people viewpoints and ideas. I may not understand and or agree however, I will always express respect to that individual.

• Jimmey Brown

In order for me to continue building positive relationships with others, I must always accept other people differences, give people my time, develop better communication skills, and learn to trust more. I believe by putting each of these skill set to practice everyday it will help me achieve great success and to be a better leader, because people will see that I truly care about them.
    1) Accepting other people difference is one of the biggest challenge in building relationship and if I can improve more in this aspect I will be a better leader having a longer lasting relationship with others. 2) Communication skills matters in building positive relationships for me because if not it can lead to back stabbing but when done well great things can happen. 3) Trust is key to any type of relationship because ultimately trust is essential to creating a sustainable and lasting bond with another human being. In conclusion, trust for me is the most important factor in maintaining and sustaining a positive relationship because trust consist of values, integrity, mutuality, and commitment.

• IIn the book “Leadership and the Culture of Trust”, Gilbert W. Fairholm says that: “Leadership is something that happens as a result of leader and collaborative action.” This notion is emphasized once again during the presentation of Senator Pugh where he discussed the importance of relationships in leadership. For me, an effective leader must be able to build relationships and build communities. Even though it might take a lot of efforts and time to build a relationship, the results and success you receive are priceless. As an international student, I always talk to myself not to be hesitating to make new friends, because you don’t know what positive future will hold in each relationship you made. Don’t just stop at plain and boring greetings. Ask questions, really listen, and develop a mutual commitment. Encouraging others to take a chance, going along with them even when you don’t know what the outcomes will be, and having the courage to support their decisions are something you can do to maintain your firmly relationships. You must also develop your own communication skills since a small friendly conversation can a make a huge change. Making them feel that you’re truly a social person that everyone wants to make a sustainable relationship with you. Although, strengthening relationships requires lots of energy and devotion, but it is essential for successful leaders.

• Sophia Cuyo

As a leader, it is more important to keep a good relationship with your co-workers , rather than just leading them and striving for the best outcome. The better our relationship with our co-workers, the better leaders can effectively and efficiently achieve their desired outcomes. The quality of our relationships is best established without a motive—not because a person can help me, but because I am genuinely interested in that person, what he/she can do, and how I can help him/her. Now that a relationship has been established, what can I do to continue to develop, maintain, and sustain a positive relationship? First and foremost, I have to be sincere. Second, learn to accept and embrace each other’s differences. Third, learn how to listen, and don’t always be the one talking. Last but not the least, invest and spend time with them.

• Sage Kroeker

Senator Pugh made a statement about relationships that I thought was incredibly accurate. “You cannot be an effective leader if you can’t connect with the people you’re leading.” The amount of leadership potential that one holds, or even the willpower to express that potential, is useless without the ability to connect to people. I believe that connection to people begins with being genuinely interested in the wellbeing of those you are in relationship with. When you really want what is best for people, you are able to look past their differences and see them as the valuable individual they are. As a leader, this is crucial. When people in leadership see the value of people they are leading, it allows them to see and believe their own value as well. The belief of personal value is the beginning of empowerment, and the beginning of change. For this reason, relational connection is both necessary and powerful.

• Keisy Quiel

I could not agree more with the point of Senator Pugh. The relationship has an important role in leadership. I think that a good leader should be trustworthy and empathetic. An important point to develop a relationship is listening. To develop my relationships I need to let them talk and pay attention to what they are saying. To maintain a good relationship I have to appreciate what other people are doing and the value of their contributions because I can learn many things from other. To sustain a positive relationship I believe that I could let them know that they are important to me, also celebrate their achievements and delight in the accomplishments.

• One of the most wonderful and interesting words that the Senator Pugh told us the last Tuesday was about “The key of leadership and success are Relationships”. These are strong words, but with a simple answer, in fact I totally agree with the Senator Pugh. I think that for you develop and maintain positive relationship, is always to be connect with people, to make a good friendship, and to have confidence with them in every moment. Another thing is share time with them. You can tell them about your experiences, about what happen in your life and even if that friend is a good friend, maybe he can give you some advice for your life will be better. I am really happy to be in this University, because It always look for their student get involved with people, especially that it international students will fell nice during your stay at UCO, it means that UCO is based in Leadership.

• Isabella Katery

I am agree that creating good relationships is a very important part of being a leader. It is good to learn how to communicate with different people, this is important to lead people. What a person can do to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships is working on their way of communicating with others, and learn to work with people. Being part of team work is a good way to create relationships and learn how to work with others. I am a shy person, but I am working on it. I am trying to be part of different projects and organizations which help me to be more related with people, and help me to understand different ways of thinking and points of view. It also gives you knowledge about many things, because knowing someone always teaches you something new.

• Maintaining relationships doesn’t mean surround yourself with people that only share the same interests as you. Personally, I the way I maintain positive relations is through mutual effort. You have to surround yourself with people that will support you/motivate you, not bring negativity into your life. The benefits of a positive relationship make all the difference. Whether the relationship is personal or simply professional, having that support can open doors to new opportunities. In college it is important to maintain relationships because it can lead to connections and opportunities to be a successful leader.

• Drew Rosko

Relationships are key to success. I continually attempt to grow in my relationships. Although it is hard, sometimes conflicts in relationships help you grow the most. As I go through my college experience, I plan on making relationships from all different walks of life. You never know who you may need and you never know who may need you so you should always be open to conversation. You never know, that conversation and relationship you build off of one simple chat could open up a new best friend, business partner, spouse, etc.
    -Rosko

• Christian Coleman

All relationships are two way streets. These streets are navigated in all forms of relationships. They require mutual effort and respect to maintain a positive connection. I believe that genuine conversation, understanding, and commonalities help develop positive relationships over time. In order to maintain and sustain these relationships both parties must be consistent and support each other. In today’s time a lot of people miss opportunities because they fail to build strong relationships. As leaders of tomorrow we must focus on developing qualities that allow us to build relationships that will one day work with us to impact this world in a positive way.

• Anna Schmidt

I think that the most effective way to develop, maintain, and sustain relationships throughout our journeys as leaders is to truly invest in the person on the other end. When we are developing relationships and we show the other person that we are really listening to what they say, and we are interested in learning about them, they notice that. And if we are maintaining a relationship, and we give them our time and show them that they are important enough to fit into our schedules, I think that they notice that too. Valuing people, and nurturing relationships goes a long way, and it makes for a real connection. And as we know, with real connections come so many more open doors, and opportunities.

• Alaina Webster

To develop and maintain relationships you need to be a reliable leader. You need to be someone can rely on and be a person who people want to follow. That can also lead to good stable relationships, or the other way around. You can become a good leader by starting off with good relationships. Senator Pugh said that “You cannot be a good leader if you can’t lead good relationships”. So if you want to be a good leader you have to make sure that you lead and maintain good relationships.

• Brenda Martinez

His speech was very interesting for my because he talked about how the relationship help us in ours life.
    Hi told us the leadership is the first key for the relationship in the world. Answering a that questions What can you do to continue to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships? I am sure that everything must first start with the practice and then realize big things.
    You always have to have your head high, not only to greet others with security, but also to face things with authority and wisdom. The example of a good education of someone can be the example to be successful for another person, as his mother taught him. We can also continue to maintain it with the best attitude and involve the others in developing their talents and this will guarantee the good future of them and of many others. Another point to develop and maintain it would be A little humility; There is a big difference between being a leader and a boss. A leader shares the center of attention and feels comfortable giving credit to others as well. But the first good option is to listen and agree on good wishes and opinions. Effective communication. Great leaders make sure they are heard and understood, but they also know that it is important to listen.

• Graysen Boyer

Relationships are a very important part of my life. Friendship is something I find essential. I have always been the type of person that everyone comes to when they need advice, and I see this as one of my strongest qualities. In the business world, relationships mean everything. Simply knowing the right person can get you the job that you dream of having. In our society, connections can do so much for you. However, these relationships cannot end here. Sustaining these connections will help you to go even further in life, and I truly believe that a simple act of kindness can create and sustain these relationships for many years to come.

• conor wyer

In my opinion, the ability to maintain, develop, and sustain positive relationships is through trust and personal experiences. If two peers can trust each other then that makes it a lot easier to be able to work with one another for a long period of time. Also, the more personal relationships can get, the closer you will get to someone. The way for me to be able to keep, maintain and develop relationships is to be able to be myself and keep leading the way I am. Personally, I tend to get really close and earn peoples trust a lot faster then others do.

• Joceline Lopez

Continue fighting so that each one can lead their own ideas and follow through on their accounts. also that there is a lot of communication between all and to make peace. This way we will maintain our position as leader of ourselves and be able to help others.

• Jared Bross

I believe the best way to develop positive relationships is to understand what it is that both parties want. With that basis, you can then work towards goals shared and individual. This is not how most relationships start though, so an alternative is required. Typically people meet in a relatively neutral context, even if they are co-workers, and develop relationships from there. I think that if you keep the shared goals in mind you can work through certain issues, and realize also that no one is perfect. If you keep these things in mind a relationship is much easier to maintain as you don’t feel that you are working against someone else (although you may feel at times they may be working against you.) In addition, it’s likely that if you remind them politely of the shared goal they may be more amicable.

• Carlos Perez

I consider him like a smart person because all that he said is very useful in our live. For him leadership mean Relationship So, a relationship is very important in our live but we need to know what or who is good for us, making relationships we can get a lot of thing, we need to involve ourselves with people that always be agree with us. we need to remember when we try something and we fail in it we never lost, you only can win or learn, always do your best in whathever thing that you are doing and we need to find our passion and focus on that.

• D'Lajiah Fields

As a leader building relationships among others takes a special type of skill. If you can’t relate well with others it would be hard to build a relationship with them. For myself, one of my strengths happens to be realtor.
    Building raltionshios take time, butt kissing, and flat out work! To build connections, I will be more social. I’ll attend events that catch my interest.
    As well as making sure to speak and socialize with people I’ve already made positive relationships with.

• Jacqueline Cabrera

Fortunately I have never struggled with networking and creating new relationships that help me grow in a positive way while I do the same with them. I believe that Senator Pugh was a great representation of showing that remaining humble and being the absolute best you can in whatever it is your doing, even the small things, matters. What I can do to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships is keep an optimistic mindset going into the relationship and giving time and dedication to continuously do better. A relationship is only as strong as the input you give. It is crucial to listen to both parties and continue to progress from that way forward. The amount of energy and commitment you give something ends up revealing how well you could do with many other things and show you what you could also use more help to work on, which can only benefit you positively. We also need to remember about helping others progress with us so we create a strong foundation to build from. All is possible when you give your absolute best.

• Jacqueline Cabrera

Fortunately, I have never struggled with networking and creating new relationships that help me grow in a positive way while I do the same with them. I believe that Senator Pugh was a great representation of showing that remaining humble and being the absolute best you can in whatever it is your doing, even the small things, matters. What I can do to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships is keep an optimistic mindset going into the relationship and giving time and dedication to continuously do better. A relationship is only as strong as the input you give. It is crucial to listen to both parties and continue to progress from that way forward. The amount of energy and commitment you give something ends up revealing how well you could do with many other things and show you what you could also use more help to work on, which can only benefit you positively. We also need to remember about helping others progress with us so we create a strong foundation to build from. All is possible when you give your absolute best.

• Austin Markham

There were several things that stood out to me in State Senator Adam Pugh’s speech. One, that he was raised by a single mother, without a father figure in his life.Two, the way he spoke about his setbacks but he “never called them setbacks.” In order to have and maintain a positive relationship, you must first realize others have a voice too and allow yourself to show empathy. I try to stay connected to organizations that allow me to meet new people and connect further with current friendships. This is one reason I chose to apply to PLC. The last thing that stuck in my brain was when Adam said the following, “There are two outcomes to wining and/or loosing, that is success and/or learning” Perseverance is a key part of a leader, and that has led Mr. Pugh to where he is today, as he explained on Tuesday.

• Alexis Peeper

As a woman in college I have so many opportunities to develop countless relationships with a variety of people. In order to develop, maintain and sustain positive relationships I have to be willing to step outside of my comfort zone to network with others. Once I develop the relationship I will have to dedicate time to maintain and strengthen the relationship by getting to know who they are and their strengths. Having a positive relationship is priceless because we are all human and need someone to talk to, to hangout with and to push us to be our best selves. One of my goals in college is to develop long lasting relationships and Senator Pugh inspired me even more to strive towards that goal!

• Angelina Sibimon

I believe the most important thing in developing, maintaining, and sustaining a positive relationship is taking initiative. As leaders, we should all take initiative to find people that we can build positive relationships with. Instead of waiting for people to approach us, we should set forth and find ways we can impact others’ lives. Not only should we take the initiative to find people, we should also ensure that we remain in contact with these people, in order to develop that positive relationship.

• Trace Linn

While leadership is described in several different manners it is undebatable that relationships with a variety of people are necessary to be looked at as a leader. In order to develop healthy relationships you must look past your own needs and see the larger picture and sacrifice your desires in order to show people you are a leader for them. After a strong relationship has developed you must continue the selfless attitude and keep the people’s best interest at the top of your priorities. When sustaining a positive relationship it is essential to teach the people you are leading ways to be leaders in their own cliques or communities. Teaching people how to lead in any fashion is a key contributor to change.

• Jaxon Missey

Senator Pugh touched on what I believe to be one of the most essential pathways toward success. Networking and relationship connections are undeniably a major key to leadership and success in any avenue of life. I believe creating and sustaining relationships relies on genuine interaction and trust. In our first weekly blog we got to listen to President Betz. He spoke about the effect individuals have when they take the time to genuinely listen and interact with others, regardless of their status. I believe a genuine attitude and an earnest persona can go a long way toward making positive connections and maintaining them. No one wants to live life alone, but they have to be shown opportunity and earnest intent to have the incentive to share life with others.

• Oscar Zepeda

Trust and reliability are two powerful things that I can develop more as an individual to maintain relationships with others. The way I see it, trust is the foundation in a relationship. Whether if it’s work, school or athletics, when you’re a leader, your peers must have trust in you to be an effective leader. If there is trust with those you build relationships with, they will be more open to you about problems and be able to ask for help from you. Having trust also makes you reliable as individual, with those in your relationships. When you make yourself reliable and people can count on you to get anything done that the persons need, that person will be there for you to rely on and build connections with. Senator Pugh’s discussion over the importance in developing great connections is definitely one for the books because I have never thought about how building great relationships with others is a great way to become and remain a great leader.

• Abdul Malik shehu

I absolutely agree with senator Pugh when he talked about relationships and standing up for what is right. Good/positively Relationship goes a long way in effective leadership because your juniors will be comfortable around you, they will be honest with you in areas that you need to improve. Secondly I believe a good leader should always stand up for what is right even if everybody is against it. That tells a lot about you

• Riley Jensen

I would not be the leader I am had it not been for the relationships I’ve had in my life. Through politics, college, and whatever other avenues I’ve taken, relationships have always helped me in networking and being successful. To develop, maintain, and sustain my relationships I try to use my strengths to compliment those around me. By communicating, encouraging, and serving others I’m able to grow closer to people.

• Ryan Lykins

One way I have always used to have positive relationships, is to be open. Open in the way that people know you care about them and will listen. Open meaning you aren’t afraid to tell them something and be honest with them. Openness not only builds relationships but makes them stronger. It binds them in a way that you and the other person will never forget.

• Breely Frasco

Senator Pugh spoke about my favorite topic, relationships. Relationships are absolutely essential in life, and I am sure that anyone fortunate enough to have met success would say they did not do it by themselves. An effective leader should be constantly developing relationships. A healthy relationships revolves around belief in each other. It may be an uncomfortable task to reach out when creating relationships, but being intentional is attractive. People will gravitate towards others that are purposeful with their mission, whatever that may be. By nature, humans are simply not perfect. That will show in every single relationship, but the foundation of belief that the relationship was created on will carry over in maintaining and sustaining the positive relationship. Lastly I would like to say that it is no mistake that humans have the ability of communication and gift of emotion. We should take advantage of our capabilities, and give ourselves the opportunity to know people well, and be known.

• Kallie Daniel

Relationships are the building blocks to overall success. When people work together anything is possible. In today’s world, we do not take the time to invest in relationships with other people. We tend to live life in a hurry and not value relationships as much. Developing, maintaining, and sustaining positive relationships takes time. In order to maintain positive relationships, we as people need to be more selfless with our time. We need to value others more than ourselves and our own needs.

• Abigail J Spiers

Relationships are so important when it comes to becoming successful and a better leader. Having connections with many people can bring about so many opportunities for you to learn and grow as a person. Senator Pugh was explaining that if it wasn’t for a mutual friend, he wouldn’t have met his future wife and his future kids. Maintaining relationships with people you have connected with can be difficult sometimes, but it is so worth it and could possibly change the direction of your life. By having those relationships, both people involved are able to learn from the other. This can help you become a better leader. The other person could look up to you and you could possibly help them find their path. Senator Pugh stated that being able to lead good relationships can help you become a good leader, and I totally agree.

• Amelia Perez

For me, successful and positive relationships are based on sacrifice and mutual contribution. To have positive and fulfilling relationships, you have to be willing to return what you expect of someone else. Empathizing for others is very important if you hope to understand them on a personal level. I’m very conscious of how I approach others in hopes of establishing the right base for a relationship whether it be a work or a personal relationship. Being skilled in forming and sustaining relationships requires a certain level of emotional intelligence that cannot be undermined. This is a skill I am constantly working on in order to be more successful in my leadership and how I communicate with others.

• Madison Walker

Relationships are important to our success, leadership, activities, and every day life. When you have good relationships with people who are like you, and want the best for you, you go further in life. When you don’t have a support system it’s so hard to do the things you are called to do. Finding people who live the same life values as you, believe the same things, and believe in you, you develop relationships that are going to last a lifetime. If they don’t last forever, you at least had someone in that time in your life cheering you on. Getting into friendships/relationships with people is a huge part of being a leader. You cannot be a leader if you are not willing to step out and develop relationships.

• Paige Warrior

Connections are the basis of community and is required for effective leadership. Desiring to listen in on the diverse viewpoints of the world, allows for people to better understand each other. As a leader, it is important for me to continually speak up even when its not popular, and to sustain relationships through empathy. I determine the type of relationships that are built around me, and if I do not pay attention to my world, I will be stuck. People will determine my future and the relationships around me will not develop in the best way, if I do not grow myself.

• Katie Edmonson

One way to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships in Leadership is communication. Communication seems like a easy answer to most leadership questions but in this case it’s truly the key component in my opinion. Without being able to communicate to your teammates about sharing in understanding the common goal it’s really hard to be able to build a relationship to achieve that goal. That’s why I think having communication as one of the things that we keep in the back of our mind at all times to make sure that were being clear with the ideas and the things that we are saying are having impact to their understanding. Also important to be able to have a communication base line already there so if someone felt like they need to speak with you they know it would be comfortable environment. Making sure that everyone feels comfortable in environment that their voice can be heard and they don’t feel like they’re being drowned out by others is really important in a leadership space. There’s many ways to build relationships in a positive manner with maybe positive affirmation or being able to set an example for them but I think the most effective and efficient way is just being able to have positive communication with a person.

• Nicholas Sparta

I think the best way to continue to develop, maintain, and sustain relationships is to connect with people. Trying to get to know people and want to have a relationship with them is the only way to get a relationship. Having positive relationships can benefit someone in a huge way. It is vital to have if you want to become a leader. Senator Pugh stated that “you cannot connect with the people you’re leading, you wont become a leader”. Which means you have to TRY to connect with people and keep relationships or leading will be impossible.

• Caleb Armer

I believe, that the best way to maintain positive relationships with others is to be sociable with them. A simple question of how they are doing or what they have been up to, can make a bigger difference than you think and can ultimately think better of you for asking. As a leader, you must take the risk that somebody will not like you or might find you annoying but that’s okay, not everyone has the same attitude and you must differentiate your approach towards them. Maintaining good relationships with others is key in being a good leader that others look up to and follow in daily life. Simply to put it, being nice and doing little things for people will increase your chance of developing, maintaining, and sustaining good, healthy relationships with your counterparts.

• Dakota Gann

Developing and maintaining relationships isn’t always easy, this ability comes with putting yourself out there and taking the risk that someone may not like you. The key is to be persistent but not annoying. If someone doesn’t want to build their relationship with you, you can’t exactly force it. Let people know who you are, get in contact with them, and be yourself. Don’t put on a front to build or maintain a relationship with someone because sooner or later, the facade will end. I build and maintain relationships by staying in contact with people, even when it’s a little out of my way. If I happen to see someone walking across campus, I just may yell at them and say hi, it’s not easy to forget someone when they yell at you. These relationships will help me build a lasting network that will benefit me not only throughout my career at UCO, but also later in life. As a good friend of mine says, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”

• Renzo Villanueva

Developing and establishing relationships have always been so important to me. Not only has Senator Pugh put this thought into my mind but also a great mentor of mine from Upward Bound has too. Connections are so necessary and important in achieving your future. It is crazy to think this way, but the person you are sitting next to in your biology class could be your physician in the near future, or a lawyer able to get you out of trouble. Making connections is just a stepping stone to the whole process, like Senator Pugh said you also have to maintain these connections and develop them so that it is possible to sustain them. Not only can the people next to you in your classroom aid you one day in the future but it can also be the other way around. So I want to make sure that I get my name out there and I become approachable to people, because you never know who is willing to meet you. Those are things that I am willing to keep in mind, and do, in order for me to keep my connections alive and healthy.

• Karabo Pamela Moalafi

• Sean Miller

Senator Pugh was more influential in more ways than one would first expect from a politician. Besides being a great speaker with a powerful message, he captured the audience with his ability to relate the state Senate with the younger generation, who for far too long has been told that we aren’t smart enough or too inclined to have a reasonable, unbiased opinion when it comes to politics. He did this by stressing the very thing people of our age are subconsciously striving to do – create strong, lasting relationships. The first word to pop into many of my peer’s heads when I say “relationship” is Tinder, and they’re not exactly wrong. LinkedIn is the Tinder of the business world. I am a strong believer in starting early and building strong. Start saving for retirement as early as your means allow. If you’re too young to get a job, create your own. Apply for internships you aren’t even qualified for yet but will be in the next year or two, getting your name in the pot. Upload all of this to LinkedIn, and begin establishing workers credit in yourself before many even download the app. All of this connects back to relationships. Every job, every internship, and every volunteer opportunity grows your established connections exponentially.

• Karol Montoya

In order to develop, maintain, and sustain relationships, you need to always give 100% in each of them. Now, what does that mean? You cannot keep relationships by just knowing their name, but creating bonds that can always last. I feel as though an immense amount of people are stuck in the mindset that if they “know” a person, then whenever they need something they can ask them for a favor, and it does not always roll that way. A great leader takes the time in every single person because every person is very eccentric and unique in their own way. And why not get to know the things that separate everyone from each other? A great leader should take that extra step for everyone in their team. And, I hope and will be that leader in one way, shape, or form.

• Cynthia Gallardo

To be a better leader I must develop and maintain positive relationships. Developing these relationships is the first step. To start this step, I will develop my communication skills. To do this, I will carefully listen to what others think and feel and think about how my responses will affect everyone. Communication is necessary when working together, resolving problems or disagreements, and sharing your mission. Another way to develop positive relationships is to give more of my time to others. I believe it’s important to meet new people with good intentions in order to create a genuine connection. I will give my time and attention to others so that I can learn more about who they are and what they stand for. The next step is to maintain the positive relationships that I develop. The first way that I will do this is to check up on people, because I want to genuinely know about how they are doing and how they are progressing. This is important to me, because it is not a real connection if I only talk to a person when I need something. Being aware of each other’s differences is also an important factor in sustaining these relationships. Some differences work well together, while others can cause complications. So, I will be aware of my strengths and weaknesses to adapt and accommodate to each situation. By doing all of this, I hope to continue to create and sustain positive relationships, so that I can improve my leadership.

• Baylee Schmidlkofer

I find that in order to build relationships you have to maintain a positive attitude towards people. A person is not going to want to build a relationship if the other is not willing to give back that positive attitude. As Senator Pugh stated “leadership comes down to one key word: relationships.” Leadership is built by being there for others even when you do not have to. I know I have to be there for others in order to show my character in leading.

• Keondra Whisenhunt

The biggest improvement for me in building relationships is allowing myself the open up more with others. I struggle putting myself out there and taking opportunities when they arise. In contrast sometimes I am willing to put myself out there and build relationships. I need to find the balance between the two. With building and sustaining relationships it is important that I always evaluate how each relationship is impacting my life. I want to make sure that I am not staying in relationships because sometimes I will allow myself to suffer in order to please others. Moving forward I want to make sure that I have checks and balances for each relationship. Also, that I branch out and take advantage of the positive relationships I do have and hopefully use them to catapult me to bigger and better opportunities .

• Having a strong relationship with others around you is so important especially when being a leader. Senator Pugh showed me that you are not able to fully be the best leader you are when you don’t have a relationship with the people you are leading. I agree with Senator Pugh completely. You need to know who you are helping and be able to hear others opinions even if you don’t agree. To me being a leader is about serving your community and having the ability to put your thoughts aside and voice others thoughts sometimes. It is also important to show your personal opinions while listening to the people you are leading.

• Blake Houston Hauenstein

A person can’t be a leader if no one is willing to follow them. So, obviously in order to lead in any great capacity a leader needs to have strong relationships with the people who follow them. Also, having great relationships is what propels people into higher positions of responsibility and authority. Sometimes, it’s who you know that will get you a job over just your merits alone. Ways in which I use and plan to use to help build positive relationships that will last is to first break the ice and get to know people. Second, determine if you wish to know them more and develop more of an interest in them or not. If so, then trade info with that person so that you may get back into contact with them at any time. Third, develop the relationship further by spending as much of your time as you can with them so that you can become friends and treat them as though they are your best friend because chances are they will become one. If you don’t want the relationship to stay professional maintain some distance but always treat them well. Ultimately, this behavior builds lifelong friends. For people you haven’t spoken to in a long time, it doesn’t mean they don’t want to speak with you it just means you are on separate journeys right now and don’t have time at the moment. Even so if you do desire to keep the relationship high realize it is high and frozen in time; so, only contact them if you have a moment to meet them in person and really catch up.

• kennedy Staton

As a leader, relationships are critical to the success of a group. If any group ever hopes to succeed the members must be able to get along and work together. A leader can only be as successful as the team members, so team work is key. A leader can develop the realtionship of a team by keeping a positive attitude. A positive relationship will be harder to maintain when tentions get high. In any group, there will always be difficult times, but a strong leader can solve realtionship problems and keep a group together. When a leader earns the respect of a team, they will subconsiouly follow their attitude. Keeping a positive attitude is crucial to sustain posititive relationships.

• Aubrey Crook

Developing relationships with the people around you is a crucial part of being a leader. Knowing someone personally and establishing trust with those you are leading can help you determine how you can assist them in achieving their goals. I work so much better leading a team of people that I am farmiliar with, simply because I know their strengths and I am able to delegate them effectively. On top of that, establishing relationships allows you to have a good support system and everyone needs those to rely on when in tough situations.

• Hazzik Ali Chaudhry

Senator Pugh did a great job at explaining the importance of relationships in leadership. His quote continues to echo in my head, which is: “Leadership ultimately boils down to only one thing; relationships”.

As the question remains standing on how to develop, maintain, and sustain a positive relationship, senator Pugh also answered that very subtly in his remarks.

He said “Do your best but dont confuse it with being the best.” I would consider these remarks from him as golden words.

There are two reason as to why this quote is so significant in terms of relationship building.

Firstly it teaches us to embrace humility. Humility is the first benchmark in the path of success and in building lasting relationships. In arrogance, one would imagine others as inferiors. The only outcome of such a mindset is a relationship that is one sided, self-centred and fragile.

Secondly, understanding that giving your best is one thing and accepting that there are others who are even better, opens the door of curiosity among us. This door will lead us into finding those others and grow further from their experiences while building positive and lasting relationships with them.

To conclude, leadership is directly affiliated to relationships and relationships are entirely based on our sincerity to accept everyone in love and humility.

• Relationship is the basis of any success you can have in life as explained by Senator Pugh, one of his most cited words was “always do your best” whatever you do, do it the best way possible, surround yourself of people with an attitude of leadership and putting your knowledge at the disposal of others to help them grow is undoubtedly what makes a leader to be an example to follow. Creating relationships, giving the best of You and helping others is what will lead you to lead in the right way.

• Caylin Talk

In order to develop, maintain, and sustain positive relationships, you must always put in your absolute best effort and communicating with everyone around you. The reason it is important to make sure that you take time to make in effort in the little things is because it ultimately shapes how much effort you will put towards bigger, more significant ideas. Along with putting in an effort, you have to be able to build relationships with people. You can not be an effective leader and reach people if you aren’t connected. No opinion is too small or insignificant to listen to.

• Throughout my time in high school I worked for the chamber of commerce in my home town. While working there the director of the chamber taught me that the relationships you make can either take you very far. I’ve always worked hard to try to make sure that anytime I come in contact with someone that I am kind, respectful, and leave a good impression on anyone that I meet. You never know if the person who’s interacting with you or watching you interact with someone else may be the difference in you getting a job or promotion. Relationships build your network, outreach, and ability to impact people around you. I strongly believe that the ability to make good relationships are the difference between being a good leader and a great one.