Week 1 – Lessons in Leadership – President Don Betz

During President Betz’s presentation he provided two questions for each of us to reflect on concerning our leadership potential: “What am I doing here” and “Why am I doing this”. Focusing your thoughts on your experience and goals at UCO, answer these two questions.

• Leadership has always been a constant in my life; however, the ways in which I lead have varied greatly. The two questions, for me, are hard to answer in certain detail. I believe overall I am here to make people smile and believe in themselves. I love being someone that people can talk to and trust. I also love making differences in other’s lives 1-on-1. Every situation has a different “why.” Most of my “why’s” are because I genuinely care about people and how they are feeling. I have been through so much in my own personal life that I want to help others be as positive as possible. – Wesley

• Abdulmalik Shehu

Dr. Don Betz talked about how leadership matters,true leadership and finding yourself. In his speech he talked about the challenges we face and/or what we must encounter to find our purpose. i like how he talked about knowing one’s weaknesses and strength. He said it is okay to put the team first, instead of the individual brilliance and i can agree with that. i was moved when he said “There are no shortcut to success which mean, you will have to put effort before you achieve success.

• Abdulmalik Shehu

I believe there are no shortcuts to success. nothing is given therefore, you will have to put effort in order to achieve your goal. i have been in UCO for over 4years and if it was not for hardwork, i would not have come this far. Like they always say, “Team work make the dream work” I agree with Dr. Don Betz when he said, “it is okay to celebrate the success as a team rather than glorifying individual brilliance.”

• Abdulmalik Shehu

Dr. Betz talked about leadership, what it takes to be successful. Finding our weaknesses and actualizing our potential. Indeed there are no shortcuts to success. i have been in UCO for 3 years and i would not have come this far if it was not for hard work. It is okay to give credit to the team rather than individual brilliance. i honestly believe in the saying “Team work make the dream work”. leadership qualities takes time to develop. According to Dr. Betz, “you will have to find your purpose in life, know what your journey is & finding the confidence in your competence. overall it was a great speech, and it was very inspiring.

• Amelia Perez

There were several points of meaning that I took away from President Betz’s presentation that led me to think introspectively on what my goals at UCO truly were and how they made me a leader. His first question asked, “What am I doing here?” and my answer is that I am starting my pursuit of fulfilling my lifetime goal of learning as much as I can from the world, and UCO is the first building block that is setting my path towards that goal. His second question asked, “Why am I doing this?”, and my answer cannot be easily stated. My drive comes from within my being and what drives me is different from what drives every other person. It’s such a unique quality within every person that it cannot be completely summarized accurately. However, I do know that what drives me is my hunger for knowledge and the sense of value that it brings my person. Growth is found in the journey and leadership is a lifetime journey.

• Phoebe Barnes

President Betz answered the questions,”What am I doing here?,” and, “Why am I doing this?” for those who want to be a leader. The question,”What am I doing here?” has a simple answer: purpose. President Betz mentioned this in his speech and remarked on how when you find your purpose you must also prepare for opportunity. You prepare for an opportunity to push your purpose out into the open so it can become a reality, whatever that may be.
    The question,”Why am I doing this?” is the same answer: purpose. People who want to be leaders and make change do it because they have a purpose, a calling; they do it to complete a goal(s). When you have a purpose you have motivation. It then depends on how hard you are willing to work to make it a reality. How hard you work and how you work (on the purpose and with others) will also define who you are as a person and a leader.

• Nathan Henry

I’m here to explore what I want to do with my life. I don’t know what field I want to go into or what kind of job I want to have in the future, and I’m here to figure that out and complete the degree and education I’ll need to fulfill that goal. I’m doing this because I want to find something that I enjoy doing for a living and at the same time be able to give my daughter the best life I can through the job I’ll need this education for.

• Madison Walker

What am I doing here?

Here at UCO I am going to major in nursing, but I don’t want to just “come to school” I want to be a leader, interact with different people, make new friendships, get involved, continue my walk with God, & develop skills to help me help others in the future.

Why am I doing this?

Well, everyone has a calling on their life. I know that my calling is to be a missionary nurse & to lead people, I am not only doing this for me, but for my family, my hometown, and all the people who thought I couldn’t make it. Attending UCO I know I can find my strengths and not just focus on my weaknesses, I can lead people to find their true identity, and I love that about UCO, like President Betz said, “I am doing this for you”

• Gabby Clabes

Personally, my journey at UCO started at a very young age. I was involved with the Paralympic events that were and still are hosted on campus, and I fell in love with not only the campus and endless opportunities, but the loving environment as well. I believe that I was led here to pursue a degree in the medical field and make a difference in as many lives as possible on the way. My fellow leaders at UCO have shown me multiple different outlooks on life itself, and although they are my age and in my class, I seem to look up to every single one of them. They give me the motivation to become successful and make our school a better place. Altogether, I believe I’m doing this to become a part of something much bigger than myself. I want to impact others in a way that not only changes their life, but mine as well.

• Makenzie Hill

What am I doing here? President Betz proposed this question several times throughout his speech, and each time I kept thinking of something I have been told my entire life… We are all on this earth with a purpose. I have always struggled with this thought. For 10 years my everyday routine involved softball. That is what I thought was my “purpose.” Whenever I got hurt and stopped playing I really had a huge identity crisis. I didn’t know what I was doing here. My last two years of high school I became really involved and found my niche, so while its super cheesy, I am the kind of person that says high school forever. College. The transition, the change, the unknown, it all scared me. I couldn’t see a clear picture of what my life looked like and that had me questioning every single thing. Flash forward to when I got the phone call that I was accepted into LOT… in that moment I realized that I had found my new purpose. I don’t have any amazing, life-changing reason why I am here, and honestly my purpose may change one or many times while I am here at UCO. For now, I know that I am here to get an education. I am here to build relationships and establish connections. I am here for a purpose bigger than myself, I just must find the place where I am being called and go there whole heartedly. Why am I doing this? Well I am getting an education because to start a non-profit group home for children with special needs I must have some knowledge. I am taking advantage of the people around me because life is too hard to go through alone, and everybody needs somebody. On this campus I know that there will eventually be a need that I can meet, and because of that I will continue developing my purpose here. These two questions that President Betz asked could have everchanging answers. My what and my why could change in the next hour, next day, or next week. Ultimately it is about being open to any possibility which he touched on as well and having passion for whatever you are doing.

• Riley Jensen

As a student at UCO, I am heavily focused on self-growth and making an impact. I was chosen for the President’s Leadership Council by Leadership Central because potential was seen from me early on, and I want to honor their expectations. Through my academics at UCO, I want to grow in my creativity to become more well rounded and benefit my degree plan. I also hope to advance in my political career and prepare myself for a job out of college. Overall, that’s why I’m at UCO. I want to grow and stretch myself as much as possible. I’m doing this because as I go into adult life, I want to be fully equipped to serve and love others in my personal and professional life. I also hope to gain the means to provide for myself going into adult life, so that I can get a dog.

• Anna Schmidt

For me, what I am doing right now in the simplest terms, is becoming an educated person. There have been a lot of moments my life when I really didn’t think college was necessary. I thought that without it, I could still get a good job, make a difference, and feel fulfilled. And I think that is still true, but ultimately, nothing gives you a wider range of opportunities than college does. So I want to do that for myself — give myself the best possible chance at a limitless life. I want to become educated so that I can know that any job, any place, and any lifestyle is attainable. I think that is what will fulfill me most in life — that sense of endless possibility. I’ve been realizing lately that my future is a big thing. Who I want to become, is a big thing. And I am here at UCO to make sure that I don’t let those big things pass me by, before I even planned for them. I am equipping myself with knowledge, experiences, and trials that will prepare me for whatever it is I choose to do. I chose college, and UCO because I want my future self to be without constraints, or the limitation of being uneducated. I want her feel assured that she can do anything. I want her to be happy.

• Haleigh Himes

Generally speaking, I think my life purpose to serve, connect, and understand others. Before I can be a resource to others, I must first develop my own potential. Here at UCO, I want to grow through knowledge and experience. I believe that the life experience I gain will enable me to be my best critical thinker, giver, and leader, to my peers and the community. I’m doing this so I can live a fulfilled life and help others live theirs too.

• Kacie Teigen

I feel like everyone feels a certain obligation to have everything figured out when they get to college and most of the time that’s not the case. I’ve decided that I want to be a nurse so one answer to that question of what am I doing here and why could be to obtain my masters in nursing. I’ve decided this degree because I’ve grown up around nurses in my family and I found a passion in it at a very young age. Another answer may sound more like I’m here to not only develop my knowledge but to also develop as a human being. We’ve been on campus for less than a month and in that time I’ve joined two organizations and decided that I want to minor in leadership. I believe that regardless how much knowledge you obtain in college you still may be left with nothing to do with it if you don’t put yourself in a position to impact the people around you. Something that President Betz said that really stuck with me was “As soon as you decide that you’re at the end of your road the world will start passing you by” and I’m definitely not ready to stop growing intellectually and personally.

• Hannah Morrison

I pondered over questions like “What am I doing here” and “Why am I doing this” long before I had found my home here at UCO. I realized that the answers to those questions would somewhat be dependent on where I chose to attend college. I realized that I wanted to attend UCO because it offered me a unique opportunity to step out of my comfort zone for the sake of growing my faith, relationships, leadership, and education. I felt that through this time in my life filled with new experiences, I could learn much about myself while challenging my potential. UCO offers an environment where each student is encouraged to focus on development, and I was confident that it would provide me a life-changing source of inspiration.

• Jordan Broiles

When President Betz ask on those two questions, I was really took a step back to process those questions. What am I doing here … I knew from the start of attending UCO, I wanted to leave my mark. I wanted to know that once I leave, I extended the path and opened up more doors for underrepresented students at UCO. I want to inspire and empower students who look like me to utilize their voice and under that they matter. Why am I doing this … I’m doing this because I remember not really seeing someone that look like me doing impactful things here at UCO.

• Oscar Zepeda

I am doing this to represent the Hispanic Community in Oklahoma City. They are my motivation into becoming a successful person in life. At the end of the day, no matter what I am doing, I want to be able to give back to the Hispanic community. To the families and kids who grow in low income communities. I want to be an impact and influence in their life’s. I, with a couple of my friends at this institution, want to begin a leadership program for male students in high schools to be able teach, motivate, and inspire more male students to go to college and be leaders. That is why I believe I am here. I believe that I am here to provide the tools that these young men need in order to become young, respectful, and great college students and most importantly, successful.

• Sean Miller

No different than the rest of us, I am here for an education. I am here to kickstart my future endeavours, allowing me to bring wellbeing and prosperity to those around me and in my community. I am here to secure my successors’ place in the societal machine, that they might never feel the pang of hunger or the bite of the cold. I am doing it for them. By traveling around the globe, interning in foreign offices, and gaining experience and expertise in my field of study, I strive to be as prepared as possible for the future career I plan to hold, building on the knowledge I gain at UCO.

• The simple answer to the question is I want to grow as a leader. That is the main reason why most people chose the course. But when you truly ask yourself, “Why?” it’s deeper than a simple response. I want to be the best person I can be. Often times as “leaders”, we can easily get complacent. I chose to come to this university simply because of the continual growth. I want to develop my skills and sharpen up the “tools” in my “tool box”. I enjoyed listening to President Betz and I really enjoyed learning from him. “Have confidence in your competence.”

-Rosko

• Xaviera Burton

I am here simply because I believe there is more to gather from life then just high school and work. Granted college is still majority work, there is so much to experience and learn while being here. My goal is to be the best I can be at what it is I love. Whether that’s an FBI profiler or something else. Either way my goal is to thrive and strive and that’s what I plan to do here at uco.

• Jimmey Brown

I am here because I want to be successful. What I am really doing here? Is getting an education, joining clubs, and organizations that will help me grow by finding something I will enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

I am doing this because I need to what I love so I won’t be bored or held back by lack of enthusiasm. I am doing this to get a degree that will help me be successful and get a job in my specific field of study so that i can reach out to help other people in need.

• James Limbaugh

For me, I always need to have a goal in sight for me to do anything. Here at UCO, that goal can be organized into two categories. Education and a good time. If I truly want to acheive my life goals, I need an education to get there. However, If I’m not having fun in life, then there is no purpose. So what I’m doing here at UCO is striving for my purpose. But why do I so desperately desire to reach my goals? My biggest fear in life is failing to impact the world. That is where my “why” derives from. Purpose and fear bring me to UCO. UCO places me one step closer to reaching my purpose and overcoming my fear, thats why I’m here.

• James Limbaugh

For me, I always need to have a goal in sight for me to do anything. Here at UCO, that goal can be organized into two categories. Education and a good time. If I truly want to acheive my life goals, I need an education to get there. However, If I’m not having fun in life, then there is no purpose. So what I’m doing here at UCO is striving for my purpose. But why do I so desperately desire to reach my goals? My biggest fear in life is failing to impact the world. That is where my “why” derives from. Purpose and fear bring me to Edmond. UCO places me one step closer to reaching my purpose and overcoming my fear, thats why I’m here.

• Graysen Boyer

The answer to these questions is somewhat more complex for me. I did not originally plan on attending UCO. I had a large performing arts school that I had dreamed of attending for years. However, my plan for my life took a sudden change on February 2nd of this year. I was in a severe car accident and I could no longer pursue a career in dance performance as I had always dreamed of due to major injuries. It was very challenging at first after losing a full scholarship to my dream school. However, now I do see an underlying purpose behind all of this because I am meant to help others. My career goal at this point is to create a dance studio environment that is safe for people with disabilities. I want to make movement therapy more normalized. I could not say this today if I had not seen everything in my life change in one instant and learning to adjust to that. Now, I am so thankful not only for the opportunity to be alive, but for what I know will be an amazing four years at UCO before I step out into the real world to pursue my dream.

• “Starting with why?” This phrase stuck in my head during President Betz speech on Tuesday morning. Why do we do anything? Why are we in this leadership class? Why did you or I join PLC? What did we want to get out of this? His answer was simple, find your purpose. He told his story and explained how he became who he is today. Mr. Betz said that talent is ubiquitous and what comes after is the path to success; Passion and 10,000 hours of persistence. As a singer, I am constantly training and memorizing lyrics in order to be the best I can be. Immediately I thought of Kobe Bryant and the number of extra hours he puts in off the court, as does every professional basketball player. This is imperative, as President Betz explained. It’s important to realize that when we fail we must rise again. In correlation to leadership, you will sometimes be put in the position to make the calls and call the shots. Mr. Betz said the most difficult job as a highly positioned individual, is personnel issues, “Firing someone is never fun” as Mr. Betz said. Taking all things into account is important and is a vital part of being a leader. If I had only one thing to take away from President Betz speech, it would be to learn. Learn from others, learn from my mistakes, and learn from my persistence.

• Austin Markham

“Starting with why?” This phrase stuck in my head during President Betz speech on Tuesday morning. Why do we do anything? Why are we in this leadership class? Why did you or I join PLC? What did we want to get out of this? His answer was simple, find your purpose. He told his story and explained how he became who he is today. Mr. Betz said that talent is ubiquitous and what comes after is the path to success; Passion and 10,000 hours of persistence. As a singer, I am constantly training and memorizing lyrics in order to be the best I can be. Immediately I thought of Kobe Bryant and the number of extra hours he puts in off the court, as does every professional basketball player. This is imperative, as President Betz explained. It’s important to realize that when we fail we must rise again. In correlation to leadership, you will sometimes be put in the position to make the calls and call the shots. Mr. Betz said the most difficult job as a highly positioned individual, is personnel issues, “Firing someone is never fun” as Mr. Betz said. Taking all things into account is important and is a vital part of being a leader. If I had only one thing to take away from President Betz speech, it would be to learn. Learn from others, learn from my mistakes, and learn from my persistence.

• Olivia Sharp
    osharp1@uco.edu

I feel that I’m here for others. I’m studying to become a teacher so I can lead my students. My teachers had a big impact on me in high school and they’re the reason that I am the way I am now. The most simple leadership gestures can make a big difference in someone’s life.

• Caylin Talk

Focusing on my goals and experience at UCO, I feel as if I am here for the purpose of learning new information so that I am more knowledgeable for my everyday interactions, as well as any possible future encounters. The reason for me being here is to not only learn more about myself and discover what I want to do career-wise in the future, but to also learn how I can best help my peers and community in everyday settings.

• Sophia Cuyo

To answer the first question, “What am I doing here?” Basically, I am here because I need to study and attain a higher level of education. Why am I doing this? Simply because education is an investment for my future and essential for growth as an individual. However, it’s something more than just getting high grades and a college degree–I am here because I need to get out of my comfort zone and learn how to engage myself in a different culture, at the same time nurturing and improving my skills in order for me to be a better and efficient leader.

• Kateri Krug

My goals at UCO have changed so quickly these past two weeks of school. I have learned so much about myself, especially emotionally. I have asked myself the question, “What am I doing here?” so many times since school has started, but I have gained so much insight. I have gained new goals, like minoring in Spanish, and I understand my “Why am I doing this?” is because I want to grow as a person, so I can help others grow. I want to be able to help others understand why they are where they are.

• D'Lajiah Fields

I am here because God has a task for everyone. I know that any blessing God gives me is mine. Everything happens for a reason, so I know that I am right where I am suppose to be. There is Not a more pure feeling than giving back! Life is about service, that’s what makes the world go round. That’s what makes me grateful to be an LOT member.

• Elizabeth Plunkett

What am I doing here? A constant question I used to ask myself when I first walked onto the University of Central Oklahoma campus. Before being accepted into the Presidential Leadership Council, I never pictured myself as a leader. After being told I had been accepted, I started to realize how I actually was a leader in my past. As the captain of my basketball team, I constantly gave out constructive criticism, made sure the girls were doing what they were supposed to be doing, and held also myself and others accountable for their goals and mistakes. However, my basketball career is long gone; I have been repeatedly wondering how I am going to lead next. During my first Cheer and Dance practice last night, I noticed that in my stunt group I was the person taking control. I was constantly talking to my group and helping people do their job to the best of their abilities, which leads me to the point I am trying to make. My leadership skills include seeing everybody’s potential and me taking command. Whether that means in the future I will hold an important office, or help organize events, I am not sure yet. But like President Betz said, “Leadership is not about the title, it’s about development.” To answer the final question, “Why am I doing this?” I believe I am doing this to create opportunities for others, because I excel in seeing potential in others, and I am here to work on developing my own leadership skills from being a part of something bigger than myself.

• Christian Coleman

It’s always a treat to get inspiration and guidance from the President of the Academic Institution you call home. President Betz’s presentation brought out two key points that really continue to repaint themselves daily in my mind. The first key point pertains to the cultivation of your leadership mindset and development while here at The University of Central Oklahoma. This ideology plays into the aspect of “What am I doing here” aside from attending classes and office hours. The next point focuses on truly being a servant leader on and off campus. I vividly remember President Betz saying, “It’s not about me.” That statement really made me think about why I approach leadership avidly. As a student in the last class of leadership student’s he will address I feel honored to have received his lessons in leadership.

• Lincoln Lehew

There are many goals and reasons why I am at UCO. I am at UCO because of LOT, being in LOT gives me the chance to serve others and show others what leadership is like. Im doing this because I love people, i love to see people achieve their goals and see them happy. Being in LOT gives me the chance to serve everyday on and off the campus. I am here to impact and be an example what servant leadership is about.

• Rachel Hunt

I am here to further my education. Like most other college students, I would not be able to reach my full career potential without a college degree. Using my degree, I want to change the world for as many people possible. Paul Shane Spear says it best, “As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person.” My ultimate goal is to move overseas and provide healthcare to those in need. The things I learn at UCO will prepare me to reach my goal successfully. While I am working towards my long-term goal, I want to be present where I am. Dillon Burroughs summarizes my passions perfectly. “God is calling you to change the world one life at a time and one small step at a time. Begin today where you are.” That means while I am at UCO, I will do my best to lead and love on my peers. I can change the world for students at UCO, too. Academia is my top priority; however, I am at UCO for more than a degree. I want to leave this school better than I found it. By getting involved in Greek life, the spirit squads, and campus organizations, I have opportunities every day to make a positive impact on the lives of my peers. These organizations have allowed me to meet so many people that I can bring hope to, serve, and encourage. The University of Central Oklahoma is perfect for me because, not only, will this institution equip me to be successful in the future, but it allows me to pursue my passions in the present.

• Dakota Gann

What am I doing here? First and foremost, I am here to grow. In his speech, President Betz asked us, “How do you prepare for opposition?” He gave us three answers. Build knowledge, perspective, and skills. This quote pretty well sums up my goals at UCO, to build knowledge as a student, perspective as a person, and skills as a leader.
    Why am I doing this? I’m doing this for the betterment of not only myself, but anyone I may come in contact with. Leadership is more than just changing yourself, it’s about changing those around you. President Betz sums this up by calling us “weathermen” who can create and influence the mood of others. As a leader, you will always have some kind of influence, big or small. What you do with that influence will determine what happens tomorrow, and so on. I’m doing this to make a better tomorrow.

• Alexis Peeper

Everywhere I go in life I want to leave it a little better than the way I found it, so being here at the University of Central Oklahoma I want to do just that. My senior year I was not quite sure if I was even going to UCO, until I received the PLC schloarship. After receiving that amazing opportunity I knew I could make a difference at UCO. Throughout highschool I was always very involved and social which UCO provides me with those same opportunities. Answering the question of “why I am doing this?” I’d have to say I’m doing it because I want to be involved, make a difference, improve the community, and grow as a person. I know by my senior year I’ll be able to look back at my time on campus and be proud.

• During his presentation he really made me think a lot in these questions. I am here because I want to become in a professional in my major and in my life and I am doing this because we need to study to be someone in the life.

• I consider president Betz like an amazing leadership I am studying in UCO because I applied for a scholarship and I am doing this right now because It is an awesome opportunity that happened in my life.

• Renzo Villanueva

Listening to President Betz speak really did make me question everything that I am doing in my life at the moment. We he asked the question “what are you doing here?” I really could not answer that question in my head. The very next day everything started to come together, especially attending HSI (Hispanic Success Initiative) orientation. I realized the reason that, I am in college is not just because it was my parents telling me to go, but it is also because of the way my parents have raised me. They raised me to have a mindset to be someone in this world that will not be forgotten. I am here at UCO taking classes and being involved in clubs for the reason to leave a mark on not just myself, but also people that need someone to motivate them to reach new heights. Once I realized this the next question was easy, “Why are you doing this?”. I am doing this to show everyone that you do not have to come from a wealthy family to attend college, and you also do not have to be the smartest to acquire scholarships. The most important factor that you need to have, is the willingness to inspire others, and the mindset of putting yourself in uncomfortable situations in order to stand out. To show people that anything is possible in life, and to not just make my parents happy, but also make the lives of struggling individuals happy, is the reason why I am doing what I am doing today. Thank you to President Betz for letting me realize the characteristics that really matter.

• Isabella Katery

I would first like to thank President Don Betz for sharing part of his time with us to provide us with a lot of knowledge and useful advice, he inspired me to believe that all my work is worth it. Right now my purpose is to develop the best of me, work to be better every day; for me every day is a new challenge to overcome, and I am doing it. Now I am working for my dreams, to be successful and help others to be successful too. I always say that my success will not be success if it doesn’t cause a positive impact in others. One of my goals is come back to my home country Bolivia and help people who are trying to study outside of the country, and trying to get scholarships. This is my main motivation, the main reason I want to work harder and be better every day. I want to be a support for the people who need it, be someone that can help and guide them. That is why I’m here.

• Being a leader has never been easy for me. In my early childhood I was always scared to stand out. This was a result of bullying. As a child, I allowed my bullies to have power over my confidence. It wasn’t until my freshman year of high school that I realized I had potential. I realized that I wasn’t defined by what my bullies thought of me, but rather what I thought of myself. President Betz stated that “Success occurs when three factors are there: talent, passion, and persistence.” I am here because I have passion. A passion to help others, to build their confidence. I have the skills needed to not only be a leader, but also a follower. To sit back and allows others succeed. Lastly, I have persistence. I am capable of overcoming adversity in order to be successful. I don’t do this because for praise, nor recognition. I do this because I love it.

• Keisy Quiel

President Betz’s presentation was amazing because sometimes we do not think about the future and what we want to do. I am from Panama and I think that education is the base of the success. Nevertheless, the education of my country needs to improve, for that reason, I am here. I want to learn about the different successful methodologies of the education of countries that have a high standard of education. I am doing this because sometimes we have goals, but we do not start to do really. Moreover, I think that we have to take the opportunities of the society give us that are so many, only we must focus and find our purpose.

• Caleb Armer

President Betz, not only reminded me of my goals and aspirations, but he motivated me even more. I have always strived to achieve excellence and I know that I will never stop wanting that. President Betz made the comment “Leaders start with internal mechanisms.” and I know that I have it in me to be a part of something special at UCO. I want to overcome the future obstacles that I will face while being a student. I want my parents and grandparents to watch me graduate and watch me become a thriving human being and ultimately I want to give back to them, what they have given me my entire life. I want to prove to myself that I can be something more than what most become.

• Karabo Pamela Moalafi

A man without vision and discernment is a lost cause who is bound to mould another man’s dream(s) to reality at the expense of a potential dream and capability they may have. So, to answer the questions posed I would say that I am a global citizen who believes in unison and that every single individual in this life has an important role to play in the societies we live in hence, I am here to feed on knowledge and most importantly have the wisdom to effectively and efficiently use that knowledge acquired to impact my society positively because I am an agent of change.

• Jared Bross

The first question is a fairly simple answer; my purpose here is to receive an education that will lead me into a great career. That simplified view isn’t the whole story though. The education is more important than the career in the long run in many ways because at some point It is possible to retire, and that education will serve beyond the potential jobs I may have. Without some specific grandiose view for what I want to do with my life I have to use the education to do the “lesser” things in life than a major occupation I intend to occupy.

The second is very similar question in many ways actually. The difference is ultimately motive while the former is closer to opportunity (as in means, motive, opportunity just not for a crime.) The reason I am going in the direction I’m going is because I understand that without a focus point that it’s best to find a decent path. The path I am trying to follow is one that will make me a leader in a manner I think will actually benefit the people I might be leading. This isn’t just referring to this class either, all of my classes are intended to make me a better leader because it is just as important as competence in some ways, because it is possible to lead without expertise in everything, but it is much harder to try and just be an expert that eventually leads.

• The last class of leadership the president of UCO talked about Leadership. I thought that was a really interesting topic because I could understand what our president was talking about. I am an International student and it is hard for me to understand when people speak very fast. I am here for expanding my knowledge, improving and learning English. I want to know more about education in the United States. When I return to my country, I will be able to teach English to other students because my dream is to learn another language. I am doing this because if I learn another language, I will have more opportunity to get a job; it doesn’t matter what my major would be because English can open a lot of doors and give me a better lifestyle, for my family and future generations.

• So after hearing these questions from President Don Betz, I also question myself “What am I actually doing with my life? “. By this time 2 weeks ago, I was still enjoying the last moment I had in my country. Hanging out with friends, eating all the best foods in Hanoi, sleeping with my parents, and imagining my life when I start studying in University of Central Oklahoma. “Should I change my behavior, should I change the way making new friends, how could I adapt to the new whole life?” I asked myself. There were so many questions happening in my head and time did fly so fast. Now I’m here, staying in my room in West Hall and writing my first Blog in the Leadership Class. It has been exactly 2 weeks from the first time I came to Oklahoma, everything surrounding me is too big and new for a small kid coming from a developing country. I was shocked about the culture and the wisely thinking of the students here, in Oklahoma. Never before had I been in a situation where I couldn’t make any new friends here even though I have to admit that I found it was easy to widen my friend network back to my country. I felt lonely. My roommate couldn’t help me feeling better despite his friendliness since in some perspectives we were so different. Sometime, lying on my bed in my room, I was wondering if I had chosen the right decision to study in UCO. ” Is it too much for me?”. I felt really depressed and were at a standstill with my life that I didn’t even have motivation to study. However, I then encouraged myself that ” Trung, you were the person who received the Leadership of Tomorrow Scholarship, people saw your potential as a great leader. If you are a true leader, how can you give up so easily? ” I was fortunate enough since I’m the only son in my family had the opportunity to study abroad. They put lots of effort to make my dream came true since they all want the best for me. I cannot let them down and if I were my parents, I don’t want to see my children lie on the bed all day with an upset face. I have to get out the door, stay out of my comfort zone, and start learning the new life around me. And after 2 weeks, my life has been really changed considerably. The old lonely Trung is gone, now only the Trung with full of happiness and confidence. I now have enough friends to boost my mood and hangout with me when I am stressful. I now have the encouragement to beat all the difficult math problems. These achievements didn’t automatically come to me, I have to be the person who actively found them every day. I’m doing this just because I believe that as a leader, it is essential for you to not give up so quickly, let’s always be yourself. If you’re defeated by a small challenge like making new friends, how can you gonna handle all the difficulties waiting you ahead since being a great leader do require a last-long perseverance. So now ” What am I doing ” and ” Why am I doing this”-I can now confidently say that: I’m learning at one of the most well-known university in Oklahoma and I am going to work so hard in order to be the great leader with a big heart. You guys will see.

• Kamryn Johnson

There are multiple reasons I chose to attend this University. For starters, I was fortunate enough to get a scholarship I couldn’t refuse. Also, not only did it offer the field I wanted to go into, but it is also considered the best school for that field. While these are two very key reasons for my being her, it is not solely the only reason I am here. I am here to expand my skills and roles as a leader. I am here to see who I am and what kind of leader I am outside of my small town. I am here to get involved and be apart of something ultimately bigger than myself. Most importantly, I am here to make a difference. I am here to make and impact and better not only UCO but the surrounding community. I may have chosen to attend this school off of scholarship opportunities and educational goals, but that is not what I’m doing here. What I’m doing here is way beyond that.
    One of my main goals in life is to make an impact which I’m sure is probably at the top of everyone’s to do list. Coming from a small town with a relatively low success rate. I feel it is my duty to go to college, get a degree and use that degree to better the lives of someone else. By doing this I hope to inspire those kids and individuals from my hometown, that they can do it as well. While inspiring the individuals from my home town is one key to why I am doing this, it is not the only one. I am also doing this because I believe with the education and degree plan I have set in place, I will be able to reach and touch countless people within my lifetime. My hope is to truly impact someone for the better and make a positive difference within their life and that’s why I’m doing this.

• I am currently at UCO to get a degree in Forensic Science and Psychology. I plan to learn from individuals who are leaders in organizations, departments, and every aspect of life. So far at UCO I have been introduced to people who have been able to make amazing impacts on their communities and have seen ways to apply that to my own life. This is important to me because I believe in serving those around you is the most meaningful thing you can do, not only as a leader, but in life. I am excited to further grow and educate myself. I look forward to learning from the people all around me how to better myself so I can help better those around me.

• Joceline Lopez

I am here to instruct me and learn the techniques to be a good leader and be able to exercise these techniques in my work field.

Because I think it is important to learn to be a leader and know some tricks to carry it out and be prepared for any circumstance in which it is necessary.
    To be a good leader you have to prepare and know what you do.

• Paige Warrior

President Don Betz stated “We are weathermen; what we are creating, embracing, rejecting, and doing; we are in control of our own weather. With only a few weeks into my freshman year at UCO, I am already evaluating why I have chosen to take on higher education. I have decided that my purpose in life is to serve communities outside of my own and I want to do this within the career of nursing. I am already partaking in the courses necessary for the pathway and I have grown an awareness for the challenges that will come with fighting for a spot within the program. Lastly, I want to exemplify servant leadership roles within my career; after having acquired skills and experience within the Leaders of Tomorrow program. I am excited to see where the program and the diverse resources that are at this campus will lead me to after my time at UCO.

• Ryan Lykins

The direct answer to why I am at UCO is because I was given a great responsibility and opportunity through the Presidents Leadership Council. That was the greatest thing to happen to me by far. Why I am doing this though, is to better my future and meet my goals. I made a commitment by staying at the Computer Science Academy for 3 years. I want to get through college and get my computer science degree, so I can have a glowing future for my family and I.

• Breely Frasco

Hello! My name is Breely Frasco. I am a freshman at the University of Central Oklahoma, where I study Strategic Communications and serve as a member of the Presidential Leadership Council. Though that short introduction might give you a brief understanding of who I am and my personality/interests based off of my major and campus involvement, it barely scratches the surface of how deeply invested I am to this season of my life.

Earlier this week, I was honored to hear President Betz, Of The University Of Central Oklahoma, speak. It was only 9:30 AM when President Betz enlightened me far more than my coffee did by presenting the notion “How do we leave the future to chance?” This reminded that I was the future. And that people before me, those that had helped me to be the person I am today, made sure that I knew I was capable of making goals, and reaching them. With that being said, the question “What am I doing here?” is far more than the goal of achieving good grades and going to every class. My “What”, my purpose, my goal, is to empower. To make others feel as capable and aware of how valuable their personal abilities are. My “Why” is because I assume responsibility to not “Leave future to chance” – President Betz. My “Why” is because of President Betz, because of Emma Watson, because of those who have made it their mission to pour into people, as they have been poured into as well.

• Kennedy Staton

As I wrote down these two questions during President Betz’s presentation, they really made me think. But, something President Betz said after that gave me my answer. He told us “it’s not about how much you’re able to put on your resume, but how much you grow as a person and leader.” I am here because I want to learn and enhance my leadership abilities. I am here because I am willing to do things that may not always be seen, but will teach me important lessons. I am doing this because I want to make a difference on this campus.

• Kennedy Staton

As I wrote down these two questions during President Betz’s presentation, they really made me think. But, something President Betz said after that gave me my answer. He told us “it’s not about how much you’re about to put on your resume, but how much you grow as a person and leader.” I am here because I want to learn and enhance my leadership abilities. I am here because I am willing to do things that may not always be seen, but will teach me important lessons. I am doing this because I want to make a difference on this campus.

• Sage Kroeker

I believe that every existing thing has a purpose – especially people. When I was making decisions on the next portion of my life, my main question was this: Where could I best be equipped for my future and have the most impact on those around me?
    Because I am majoring in nursing, UCO checked off my first box with the success in their nursing program. But regarding making an impact on people’s lives, the culture of diversity, acceptance, and opportunity at UCO inspired me. The more I was exposed to UCO, the more I fell in love with it. Through LOT I have seen service and passion, through my professors I have seen knowledge and wisdom, and through the greater broncho community I have seen a family. I can think of no better place to get involved, build relationships, and cherish my time than where God has placed me at UCO.

• Erika Diaz

The reason I decided I wanted to go to college is that I want to become the first in my family to receive a higher education and a degree. I want to gain the skills and knowledge to advocate for the people who have not been as fortunate as I have been. I want to learn as much as I possibly can and be successful so that I can make the most out of all the opportunities I have been given. Challenging myself is another goal of mine. I think that it is necessary to challenge yourself in order to learn, grow, and become the person you want to be.

• Molly Booth

My first answer is very basic, to get a degree in elementary education. However, that is invaluable to my second answer. I am at UCO because I want to be teacher and a leader. I want to inspire my future students to achieve their dreams, big or small. UCO has revealed itself to be great place for me to find and develop my leadership style and to become more comfortable with being independent. I am doing this not solely for my future, but for the future of all the “little” world changers I’m going to be molding. I want to put my best self forward for them.

• Conor Wyer

Dreams are bigger than anything that most of us can reach for. Dreams can define a person and what their true values are. Many people either follow and pursue their dreams or people do what they only think they can do and get by with what is quote on quote, “normal.” For me, I am at UCO to follow and achieve my dream of being a petroleum engineer. I am here to do my work and learn to become and develop into a better leader for my future job. I am here to develop and to become a better student. As to why I am doing this? I think about my future more than anyone I know. My future is important because it not only provides structure for my family, but it is what I will do for the rest of my life. Having a good income with a well developed passion of engineering is what drives me to work for my goal everyday. I am doing this for my future, I am doing this for the people who told me i couldn’t, I am doing this for my family and family to come. I am doing this for me!

• Sheila Claunch

Honestly right now I don’t really know how to answer the questions “what am I doing here” and “why am I doing this” because I’m not 100% sure what I plan on doing in the future. However, I do know that I plan on enhancing my leadership skills through this program. I know that I am very excited to learn more and better myself. I hope that I can learn enough about myself to help me decide what I plan on doing in the future. However, the one thing I do know is that I want to make a difference in the lives of others.

• Keondra Whisenhunt

When I first began exploring leadership it was because adults and teachers saw the potential for me to be a leader. I did not understand what it meant to be a leader when I first began, but I continued to pursue leadership because it looked good on a resume and could help me make connections and push me ahead of peers. I did not take these roles because I wanted to, but because I felt as if I had to. The feeling did not change until my junior year of high school. That was the year I started to understand leadership better, and that there is no end point to becoming a leader because it is a journey that will continue all my life. As I challenged myself and accepted more leadership roles I understood the many characteristics that leadership involves. I came to UCO because my curiosity with leadership continues to grow. I am here at UCO because this university has the best opportunities for me to learn more not only about myself, but also about those around me. I am joining different organizations, volunteering, and participating in various events because leadership gives me a better perspective on the world. Having a larger perspective than my own world can help me empathize with others and confront and fix problems head on. I am here and doing what I do because I want to understand the world better.

• When asked why am I am here at Central I go back two years ago when I heard the quote “Leaders don’t always set out to be great leaders, they set out to make a difference. Its never about the role, its about the goal.” President Betz said that leadership matters and have service leadership. When speaking on this topic he made me rethink about why I am here. President Betz gave us guidance through his words of encouragement and knowledge. The reason why we do what we do as leaders is because we have to find our purpose and that should be to serve others around us with our skills in leadership. The three main ones he talked about was talent, passion, and 10,000 hours of persistence. This talk with Betz defiantly puts a huge impact on students thoughts on leadership. Thankful for his time and words.

• Mandy Woodward

Last week when President Betz spoke to us he touched a lot on one finding their purpose. He is a strong believer that everyone has potential to be a leader, success just depends on how much effort one is willing to give. I came to UCO because I knew being in PLC would help me grow and develop as needed. Always being surrounded by different types of leaders will give me an insight to their style of leadership and help me learn by observing them. Because college is such a different stage of life, people change. Everyone always says college is a time of self-discovery, where people find out the most of themselves. I’m hoping being a part of UCO and PLC will help me discover my purpose and fuel my passion, so I can use it to lead and make a difference wherever I may be. One of the main things I want to do in life is to help others become the best version of themselves. By growing in my leadership, I will be able to help guide and motivate others. I’ll be their support when they are down and their voice when they cannot be heard. I’m hoping being exposed to so many new things in college will help me discover my mission and the people I meet will encourage and hold me accountable, so that I can follow through. There is always room to grow as a leader and I’m ready to see what UCO and PLC have in store for me these next four years.

• Jaxon Missey

Following President Betz’s presentation, I found myself in a place of intense introspection. His broad and universally complicated inquisitions, such as those that prompted this very blog, left me in awe. His first and perhaps most important question was, “What are you doing here”. He soon educated me with a generalized yet specifically unique answer, you are here to prepare yourself for opportunity. I found this to be a perfect mental approach to my life as it stands right now. I am a freshman in my first semester in college, I have no idea on the specifics or practicality my aspirations hold. I do know that every day on campus, in the gym, or even in my casual interactions with people, I am preparing myself for opportunity in whatever avenue the world takes me. This preparation is part of my answer to Betz’s second question, “Why are you doing this”. In all honesty, I ask myself the very same thing everyday. Is a generalized and overpriced education really the key to personal success? I am not entirely sure, but I know that this stage in my life compliments my hunger for knowledge. Everyday on campus is a day of growth. I know being surrounded by like minded people, especially in a program that encapsulates the very essence of service and leadership will benefit me, and in turn change the world around me for the better.

• Baylee Schmidlkofer

To me both of these questions are some that I consistently ask myself when experiencing a new journey in life. During Welcome Home Week I was not sure of how this move in process would go, and before I arrived I really was not sure of what my purpose was on this campus. It did not take me very long to realize that I was brought here through a unique circumstance and what a blessing it has been. I am here to lead with an amazing group of young trailblazers, while discovering my potential with my major. I am doing this to make my family proud and prove that I can persist through the obstacles that come with a college education. College is a time of self discovery and I know I made the right choice by coming to UCO.

• jasmine blue

Im at UCO because I want to be successful in what I want to do. Not just to make a lot of money but to give back to the people that made me who I am today. I do not want to disappoint them or myself. I am here to make a difference in my life and others around me. Im doing this mainly for my mother because i owe her this much.

• Jacqueline Cabrera

Being asked, “what am I doing here?” And “why am I doing this?” Makes me reflect back on President Betz speech and realize how much of it contributed to us all. Change is inevitable in life so it’s better to adapt now in the best way possible. I am here to “find the soul behind the face” and figure out what I might do along the way and how to. Leadership is much more of the personal development of all qualities and stories. All backgrounds matter but it’s even more special to see what’s coming. I am doing this because I have talent, passion, and persistence. Hopefully at least ten thousand hours of it. I am here to serve others and I know my fellow PLC and LOT students are too. Like President Betz said, “The attitude you bring as a leader is a whether creation.” We can’t wait to see the outcome.

• Karol Montoya

The reason for me being at UCO sounds a little cliche, but in no way did it feel cliche. I came for the festival of Dia De Los Muertos last year that was held in the ballroom in the Nigh, and the time it took for me to walk there, I looked up at the night sky and marveled at the beauty of the campus and realized this is it. I had the privilege of getting into Leaders of Tomorrow, and that was awesome.
    Why did I even enroll AND attend college in the first place though? I am a first generation student and I realized the importance of the education my parents were not able to receive. My parents sharing dreams they held and never could pursue pushed me into being driven in my education. I was told that I was going to be the change maker for my family’s history by my uncle and it caused me to change my whole outlook. Education is not only important to me, but it’s important to everyone close to me for me to excel as well. I want to grow not only for myself but for everyone close and far. My family deserves it and the world deserves it.

• Aubrey Crook

“Why am I here?” This has been a recurring question throughout my life. Usually, I have asked myself this question when I was feeling down in the dumps and needed to be introspective. However, when this question was posed to me yet again in President Betz’s speech, I felt a sense of encouragement. I The most prominent reason I am at UCO was simply because I felt that this is the place where I would be pushed to become the person that I have always wanted to be. As President Betz said, “It’s not about what you have done, but what you might do.” This simple statement gave me insight into my own life and about what I want to accomplish in my time here. So often we seem to coast off of past accomplishments, instead of looking ahead into what we CAN accomplish. What I am doing here is attempting to push myself to new heights and break through the boundaries that society has set for me. I am here to not only improve my quality of life, but inspire those around me to reach their potential. This new chapter is one that is filled with excitement and lessons that are just waiting to be discovered.

• Tucker Pawley

The reason why I am here and doing what I am doing, is to become the best leader I could possibly be. I want to learn how to fully understand how to become a leader in everyday life. I belive that can happen at the University of Central Oklahoma. I liked when President Betz said “Don’t allow people with bad morals to hold you back from being a leader”. I have always been told if you show me your friends I can show you your future, and that is 100 percent true. To become the best leader you must surround yourself with the best leaders and try to be even better than them on a daily basis.

• Abigail J Spiers

President Don Betz brought many new ideas of what it means to be a leader and how to be a leader in his speech this last week. He asked us two very simple yet powerful questions. These two questions were “what am I doing here?” and “why am I doing this?.” This really made me wonder about what MY purpose is. What am I doing here? Why am I doing this? I know that I am here at UCO to further my learning and to get a degree, but deep down inside I really just want to discover my full potential as a leader and as a person. I want to make a difference in this world. I would like become the best leader I can be. President Betz described the essence of a true leader as someone who is willing to serve, to create opportunities for others, and to realize it’s not all about ourselves. A true leader is someone who knows who they want to be, and is persistent to strive to be that person. A true leader is open to new opportunities and is always prepared for what is to come in life. President Betz said, “everybody has leadership capabilities, it is how they reveal those that makes them a leader.” His speech really inspired me to want to find and reveal my leadership capabilities and to broaden my horizons so I too can lead those around me.

• Cynthia Gallardo

I am here at the University of Central Oklahoma to make a positive difference on this campus, and to develop my leadership skills to better inspire others. President Betz said during his presentation, “It is about what you might do, not necessarily about what you have done.” This quote had an impact on me, because I believe that the process of learning how to be a better leader never stops. It is very important to not only work on my strengths but to work on my weaknesses. Getting involved on campus and even doing something as simple as being kind to everyone here is one way that I will impact this campus. I am doing this because I understand how much one’s kindness and help can influence a person. Helping others reach their potential and inspiring them to serve in their own communities is essential to building a brighter future. I want to use the opportunities that I am given to create even more opportunities for others. I am doing this because I know that I am a part of something bigger.

• Nicholas Sparta

“What am i doing here?” I want to graduate college for the simple reason of being the first in my family to graduate with a diploma and have the option to get a great job. Having the opportunity to go to college has been greatly appreciated and I want to prove more to myself by graduating. I am doing this for me. I am discovering new things about myself and pathways i need to succeed. Dr Betz said “there’s no shortcuts to excellence. You have to work for it.” I know that college isn’t easy and have to be persistent if i want to achieve my goals.

• Angelina Sibimon

One of my main goals as a leader here at UCO is to spread service leadership, just as President Betz emphasized during his presentation. As a leader, I feel that it is important that we ask ourselves “in what way have we helped another”? Many people just need that helping hand, so be that helping hand. Show them they are capable of so many things. Our focus should not be on ourselves and our accomplishments but rather on the people whom we have impacted.

• Blake Hauenstein

What am I doing here? I am here on this earth to help people. I’ll help by getting rid of some of the confusion, and disconnect of our modern world by providing a calm place where people can discuss and connect with one another over a nice cup of tea. Why am I doing this? I chose this class to learn how best to lead because my ultimate goal is to open a tea shop. In the case of opening any business leadership is essential. So, learning leadership behaviors, habits, and skills from this class is essential for me to move forward toward my ultimate goal.

• When President Betts spoke last week he spoke heavily about leadership and when he mentioned leadership he often mentioned a mindset or mentality that coincided with a leader. The first step to being a leader that President Betts spoke of was to cultivate a leader’s mindset and that stuck with me because I tend to believe that the mind controls the body and soul. Another point that stuck with me was the idea that success comes in 3 factors: talent, passion, and 10,000 hours of persistence. The first two are very cliché factors of success but the countless hours of persistence was unique in the fact that leadership is based on how willing you are to expose yourself and be persistent through tough situations. The most interesting quote that President Betts brought up was one that read, “Your work on Earth is to discover your work then put your passion behind it”. The passion you have for something can motivate you to become the best leader possible and attract following people into working towards a common goal.

• Alaina Webster

In the beginning, by beginning, I mean when I was searching and applying to schools. I knew that I wanted a school that I could grow into someone, a leader, who was confident in knowing who they are. Personally, I struggle with putting myself out there and being a leader. But to me being a leader is more than just joining clubs and doing a bunch of activities around campus. Yes, that can give you more leadership skills, but it does not make you a leader in the long run. Being a leader to me is being someone anybody can count on. Whether it something small, or something life changing, I wannabe that someone that people can always count on. That’s part of the reason I joined Broncho Leaders. So, I can be involved in something that will help me grow as a person. I hope that this class can make me a better person and a better leader.

• Kallie Daniel

President Betz’s presentation left me asking myself some hard questions, but I believe it is important to be honest. “What am I doing here?” I am furthering my education, so that I can make my dream a reality and become a business owner some day. I am learning how to be a leader right where I am in my life. I am learning how to be a servant in my community. “Why am I doing this?” As I am turning in this assignment late, I am disappointed in myself and deciding how to manage my time more appropriately. I am doing this because I know it will make me a more successful person. A good education and leadership skills are priceless. I am determined to do this really hard thing called college because it is a step to making my dreams a reality. I want to own a fair trade business that provides for myself and impacts others across the world!

• Katie Edmonson

What am I doing here? A thought that is quite demanding but is something we should be asking ourselves more often than we’d probably like to. Similar to the feeling of pushing ourselves to the gym, something necessary for us to live a healthy lifestyle. We have to continue the mindset to check in own ourselves and see what we’re doing with our time and if it’s valuable to us. Right now i’m a full time student who is doing their best to better themselves by gaining more knowledge on those topics that will hopefully able me to help others with that now new found knowledge.
    Why am I doing this? I’m doing this to better me. I want to be able to hold an intelligent conversation and apply these understanding of the world. Going to college has not only open my eyes to new things but to also to who I am. That one day i’d want to look back on all this hard work I’ve done to not only make myself proud but also for my parents. They’ve put so much into me it would be shame if I didn’t try to better myself.

• What am I doing here? I am here to change the community around me. I believe we are out on this earth to make a difference. I want to pour into others and build my leadership skills here at the university of central oklahoma. I’m am here to help others.
    Why am I doing this? I am getting active in my community and helping others because I want to extend opportunities for others. I enjoy encouraging everyone to be the best version of themselves. We all have the ability to lead we just have to have the passion.

• Hazzik Ali Chaudhry

Mark Twain says, the two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Between these two days, it is obvious that one would ask themselves “what am I doing here”, “why am I doing this” but unfortunately, we don’t, which is why half of us are currently living our life full of doubts and uncertainty. I have tried to set many goals in my life but often deviated from the path of achieving them. That is because no one taught me how to set goals, no one told me exactly how to find a purpose in life.

Setting Goals; we have been doing it wrong. Often, I have set my goals and evaluated them after being influenced by someone else’s opinion, lifestyle, or advice. Never have I asked myself if it correlates to my belief system or fits on my values. After asking myself the two magical questions, I have realized that the future is clear for once. I am no more peeking out of a frosted glass. It is like a true north that directs me towards what I can achieve, what I wish to achieve and what I should achieve. Finally, having spent a year away from home, and putting the focus on my future plans at UCO makes more sense to me all of sudden.

• Hazzik Ali Chaudhry

Setting Goals; we have been doing it wrong. Often, I have set my goals and evaluated them after being influenced by someone else’s opinion, lifestyle, or advice. Never have I asked myself if it correlates to my belief system or fits on my values. After asking myself the two magical questions, I have realized that the future is clear for once. I am no more peeking out of a frosted glass. It is like a true north that directs me towards what I can achieve, what I wish to achieve and what I should achieve. Finally, having spent a year away from home, and putting a focus on my future plans at UCO makes more sense to me all of sudden.