Week 15 Lessons in Leadership – Commissioner Karen Keith

One of the topics that Commissioner Keith discussed was the multiple jobs she performed over the course of her career and the work ethic that this instilled in her. What are your thoughts on developing a strong work ethic, how do/did you develop yours, and how do we encourage others to understand a committed work ethic is vital to sustained success?

• Tianna Arreguin

Having a strong work ethic and surrounding myself with those who match my work ethic is important to me. My work ethic started building up from a young age, I was always competitive so I wanted to reach my full potential. Doing better than the last time and achieving high goals showed me how much I could accomplish. I believe that setting by example is a wonderful way to spread leadership styles. When I see others passionate and determined, then it spreads to me which leads me to persevere in the challenges I face.

• Lauren Hood

Commissioner Keith was incredibly inspiring because she did have such a broad background of careers and many lessons from each one! I believe developing a strong work ethic is extremely important in whichever field you choose to work. I believe that wherever you are, you should give 1000%! I develop my work ethic in many ways. When I was younger that was always through sports and wanting to be my best to win. I also have a twin so I always had someone to compete with! Now I am even more motivated to have a strong work ethic but it plays out much more in relationships, in my faith and in my school work. I want to study and give my best too whatever is right in front of me! I believe the best way to encourage or convince others to have a strong work ethic is by modeling yours to them and letting them see the fruit of you work! Everyone wants success in life but sometimes everyone just doesn’t understand how to get there! By showing them and believing in them, I believe we can all develop a strong work ethic and enjoy it because we see that it will always pay off!

• Taylor Powell

In my opinion, a strong work ethic is the most important characteristic you can have in the work place. Without a strong work ethic, the job may not get done successfully. In the work place, others observe on how well people get the job done. I developed my work ethic from watching others work. I observed their attitude and commitment to their job. I believe it is very important to be commited to your job in order to do it successfully. Everybody needs encouragement in their lives, so why not encourage others while working? Sometimes a little word of encouragement can help workers realize the importance of a strong work ethic.

• Tyren Chestnut

I think that no matter what job you have that you should give it one hundred percent of your effort because it does build work ethic. I worked at Golden Corral for almost two years, and even though I hated it, I always showed up on time, never called in, and did my job well. I got a bonus and a pay raise. You get rewarded for the good work you do, so that could be an incentive we use to get others to develop strong work ethics.

• Katelynn Patton

Having a strong work ethic ties again into persistence. There are always going to be jobs we do not like, but have to deal with to get to where we want to be. We all have to start somewhere, and it all ties again into persistence. In my case, I am a to-go server at a restaurant, and my major is nursing. These two jobs have nothing to do with each other, but in order to reach my goal of being a nurse, I have to do well at my serving job. If I do not do well at my serving job, which is fairly easy, how can I be a good nurse? Having a good work ethic in every area really does end up rewarding you in the end because it prepares you for the future. I believe it is developed by remembering the end goal, and persisting towards this end goal. I think that reminding people that rewards do not come easy and that they are earned is a good way to encourage people help people understand the importance of a good work ethic. It reminds them that success itself is earned, and not given freely.

• Rachel Walker

Strong work ethic is extremely important, and always one of the first traits people notice about someone. Growing up, working hard was instilled in my head, and now, it comes easy to me. It isn’t just in an actual work or job setting, it can be in classes, or sports. All aspects of life contain some sort of work ethic. To me having good work ethic is very important and it has gotten me to where I am today. I always encourage others to no matter what, work hard and finish whatever you start no matter how big or small, because bystanders will notice it, it can take you far in life and it can lead to tremendous success.

• Curtis Diaz

I believe that the development of a strong work ethic is one of the greatest gifts someone can receive. The biggest asset to developing work ethic is enthusiasm. Fortunately, I have been blessed with a lot of enthusiasm for tasks, especially when I am working with those close to me. I think I first gained my strong work ethic in marching band my freshman year of high school. I found something that I had a passion for but was challenging and I was working among my good friends. I feel that the best way to convince others that a good work ethic is important is to lead by example. If you work hard, others will observe that and see the benefits that come to you.

• Alexis Guzman

Having a strong work ethic is extremely beneficial to all individuals, since being a hardworking person is seen as an amazing quality to have in the eyes of everyone. Having a strong work ethic is helpful because it makes whatever the task that you have to accomplish easier. I have been working since the age of 15, putting effort into the jobs I’ve had, has let others into perceiving me as a person they much rather be like and socialize with. It also helps others trust me with bigger tasks and responsibilities because the work that I have done acts as a guarantee that they can count on me to accomplish whatever is it that they need. I currently work as the manager of Everything Goes Dance Studio. I work 6 days per week usually, and every week my boss, who is also a high school teacher, brings some of her dance students from the high school as interns to the Studio, that is when I get to talk to them about the importance of doing a good job. I feel like by sharing my experience as a well organized and thoughtful worker, encourages the interns to understand and develop a stronger work ethic.

• Rylie Smith

A strong work ethic is, in my opinion, one of the most vital characteristics a leader can possess. I feel that no matter if you have natural talent or dislike a specific task, possessing a strong work ethic while completing the task will show that you are committed and willing to follow through with your responsibilities. I have developed a strong work ethic because I feel it is important to do everything you do to the best of your abilities because it shows those around you that they can depend on you in their time of need. By showing up and committing your time to others, you can encourage those around you to commit their time as well. As a result of your work, others will see that hard work pays off. Every person has the potential to be successful, but those who possess a strong work ethic are more likely to achieve their success because they are constantly pushing towards their goals.

• Caleb Williams

I was very impressed with Commissioner Keith’s work ethic. Her stamina and drive to do good things in her community are very noteworthy. I think that developing a strong work ethic is essential to success in any workplace. In all of my experiences working with others, the people with the greatest work ethics always take up leadership roles and responsibility for the group. A strong work ethic is something I strive to develop in my personal life. I would say that the largest contribution to this is how my parents raise me. My siblings and I were always taught that we had to work for the things we wanted and my parents always encouraged us and helped us set up ways to work for the money to purchase things like our first cars or our phones. I think that encouragement can definitely contribute to a strong work ethic. Encouraging others is a necessity when it comes to leadership and work ethic. If those around you do not feel as though they are alone in their endeavors, it can inspire them to work harder and with more purpose.

• Han Seth Lu

As far as my opinion is concerned, experiencing multiple jobs may have lots of benefits. At least, there was always something new to learn in every job. Plus, a wide range of knowledge could be acquired. Different fields of work have different types of people to deal with or different working environment. So. it is definitely the best way to improve or learn various work ethic and interpersonal skills as well. In additions, she had traveled a lot of places; so she already had surely experienced global and cultural competencies and understand the different work ethics around the world.

• Karlee Ogden

I think everyone can agree that having a strong work ethic is a very important quality. There are many ways in which to have a strong work ethic, and mine comes in the form of working hard in school. While I believe it is important to have a strong work ethic outside of school, I have had more of an opportunity to work hard in school as opposed to working hard in the sense of manual labor. The value and important of working hard can be instilled at an early age and I think the best way for it to be taught is in seeing examples of the benefits of working hard. I developed mine from seeing how hard my dad works. I can see what he wants and the process he uses to get it done. That has inspired me to work hard and I think others will also learn from first-hand experience that in order to get what you want in life, everything will take hard work. If you really want to meet a goal, you must take action in order to get there.

• Brook Marshall

I think that having a strong work ethic is important to the how successful you are. Work ethic is what helps you climb the ladder of success in the workplace. People don’t achieve their goals without a strong work ethic. I developed my work ethic by having parents that made me work for the things I wanted. I would have to do chores to get money when I was young and when I was 15 I got my first job and have been working since then. I learned from a young age that money doesn’t grow on trees and therefore I know the importance of working for what I want and for my success. I think to encourage people we have to teach them what a work ethic is and the importance it has in their lives.

• Emelia Denham

Commissioner Keith discussed many things she has done and plans on doing in her career. To develop a strong work ethic, I feel as though it is important to use your time wisely. Time management is a must when trying to improve work ethic. Resisting procrastination is another thing necessary to work on while trying to achieve good work ethic. It goes hand in hand with time management. We can let others know work ethic is vital by demonstrating success in ourselves. While doing this, others will be encouraged knowing that working hard results in success.

• Pin-Yu Tsai

My thoughts on developing a strong work ethic is following my working rules and respect my work. Try to understand the difference in each work and respect them. We can encourage others try to understand the difference in each work and respect them. Do not criticize others work. I think being respect is the most important thing to sustained success because each work and people they all need others to respect them. If you don’t have respect, I think it would be hard for you to become success.

• Hsiang-Chin Hsu

To develop a strong work ethic, I think I should respect my work, my leader, my colleague, and so on. Having a great attitude when I am working, and a good communication when I am in teamwork. When someone doesn’t understand how important work ethic is, I will tell him or her that everyone should have a great work ethic. If one of the workers in the company doesn’t have a great work ethic, everyone in the company won’t have a successful future. Therefore, we should encourage others to have a great attitude in our job, and we can be successful together. if he or she still doesn’t recognize, I think he or she doesn’t fit the company. They should go.

• Ren Jian Lee

Before I became a youth leader, I was entrusted with small responsibilities; over time, I became in charge of more and more things. From the start, I developed the habit of doing things as well as I could so that by the time I had people under me, I could teach them how to work well. I encouraged the leaders under me to perform their duties to their best ability instead of making excuses. I showed them by my example that strong work ethics lead to success.

• Megan Watkins

In order to be successful in anything, time, effort, and motivation must be put towards it so that it might get done correctly and to it’s fullest potential. I believe that a strong work ethic is critical to success and to being a leader. Most successful people do not become successful from sitting on their hands and watching others do their job. Instead, they work just as hard, if not harder, than the others in order to go as far as they possibly can with the task at hand. Leaders need a good work ethic because they are leaders; they lead, and leading by example is a large part of that. Leaders must take initiative and help others get started on a project by working with them to ensure productivity. I have had to learn by trial and error when it comes to my current work ethic, but continue to learn and grow in it continually. Pursuing a degree in nursing, I have the understanding that it is going to take a lot of dedication in order to truly succeed. I plan on doing just that. I will put my work ethic to the test and make sure that my goals are met and even exceeded. Throughout my collegiate career, my work ethic will be tested and it will grow, but that makes me hopeful that it is only for the better.

• I learned a strong work ethnic entails persistence, being 15 minutes early, innovation, and random acts of kindness. To develop these character traits as an employee, I think a person has to not only be willing to show up for work when they don’t feel like it, picking up shifts for co-workers, creating a positive atmosphere, and going the extra mile in whatever the job is. I built this working ethnic by failure in one job, lead to to a greater job. I also was always trying to find improvements that I could make to be better at my job. After a few months of trying to do this, it becomes a habit. It becomes something you strive to do. So I suggest, in an effort to encourage others, we encourage a positive outlook on work. People will want to work more efficiently. It’s a matter of improving the environment to improve ourselves.

• Reagan Whitlock

I believe it is vital to learn a strong work ethic. It starts with learning responsibility. You have to be ready and responsible enough to put in the work required. I developed mine through experience. I realized the importance of having a strong work ethic in everything that I do and I wanted to have those qualities myself. I choose to focus on areas such as responsibility and diligence. I also choose to make sure that I put my best effort in to everything that I did so that others saw that I was committed and wanted to make a difference. I think encouraging others to develop a strong work ethic can be accomplished through action. By showing strong work ethic in our actions others will see this and want to do the same. They will see how successful you are and want to have that same success. People then will understand the importance of having a strong work ethic and how it has a major impact on your success in life.

• Emily Norman

Developing a strong work ethic is important to being an influential member of society and a leader because a good work ethic produces greater fruit than a style of doing that is lazy or expectant of others. To develop a strong work ethic you must have perseverance and self assurance that you can face the challenges that are sure to confront you when you are trying to accomplish something great. I attribute not all, but a lot of my work ethic to playing volleyball. I played competitive volleyball for 11 months out of the year for five years. A work ethic gained through sports is only about ten percent learned through the physical discipline learned through the actual conditioning and work of painful perseverance. A work ethic learned through competitive athletics is 90% about you’re interaction with a wide variety of people, mainly coaches. Through many poor and one abusive coach, I learned that to encourage a strong work ethic in others, you must lead by example. As a team captain I learned that the way to get others to work hard at practice was to work as hard as I possibly could myself, and as the personal results followed, so too did the work ethics of others.

• Sarah Faust

I feel like I was taught about work ethic from my mom. Form a young age it was just me and her, so she taught me if you want something done you are going to have to go out and do it yourself. I believe over the years I have proved to have a very strong work ethic throughout my school work and my past jobs. I feel that we show work ethic leader to success by example. By being leaders on campus we show that by our hard work on community services projects or class assignments pays off.

• Graeme Morrison

I think this topic is really important, as work ethic is everything to me. My father raised me to know that no matter what I did in live, I did it to the best of my ability. Work ethic is something I have been instilled with, but I believe the best solution to inspiring work ethic is to be just that – inspiring. There’s a saying “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink,” and I think that goes the same way with inspiring work ethic in whatever group situation you may be in. You can’t force people to work hard, but you can show them and lead by example; if you work hard, it shows. The people you are around will see that work ethic, because it’s something that I think is rather fleeting nowadays. If you are successful, it will show. That comes from your own work ethic, and the only way we can convince others to do the same is by having an abundance of it within ourselves.

• Sini Noronen

One of the main things of being a good leader is your own values and sticking up for them. One of my values is being honest. I don’t have the experience of a situations where the honesty is tested but many speakers that I have seen and teachers have told that many CEO’s fail because they are dishonest. No matter what but eventually the truth will come out. Having a strong work ethic is something that you can and can’t affect. People don’t leave companies they leave the managers. To have changing goals and tasks that are challenging and you are able to reach will keep my work ethic high, also for me money is a good motivator.

• Kenzie Taylor

I am personally a strong believer in a strong work ethic. I was lucky enough to be instilled with a competitive mindset when I was young. My parents always told me to go get the life I wanted to live, and that’s just what I did on my high school speech and debate team. I worked for hours each day, just to see small improvements that would make me better than the rest, and that way of living still is within me, even now. I gained my work ethic from a desire to be better than the rest, and I believe others can only understand that when they have been defeated by someone who has obviously put in the time and effort to be the best at what they do. It’s something that has to be engrained in a person rather than just taught.

• Melanie Holcomb

Having a strong work ethic gets things done. It separates those that will put in that extra time and those that do the bare minimum. I remember the best piece of advice my father has ever given me in regards to working. “If you are going to do a job, do yours and your bosses.” This one sentence has shaped how I view work. By doing more than my share, I become a valuable employee and if there would come a time to rise in the ranks, I would already know how to do the job.

• Madelynn Dancer

It was evident by Mrs. Keith’s career path she is an individual who possesses strong work ethic. I believe that a person who possesses strong work ethic will always surpass someone who does not. Work ethic is a quality that is simply irreplaceable. No matter what lies ahead of me I know I have the ability to succeed because I always give my best effort. I wholeheartedly believe that my strong sense of work ethic developed throughout my childhood lifestyle. I grew up playing team sports. Practices consisted of 100 degree weather with miles of running. However, I never quit because I did not want to let my team down. This motivated me to always give all I had on the field. Throughout the years, I have also helped my grandparents on their farm and mowed their yard. This was hard physical labor, but I will never forget the joy it has brought my grandparents. My family constantly reminds me that the only time I can fail at something is when I do not try. Sharing this simple piece of advice is how I encourage others to sustain a committed work ethic. I also remind my peers to consider others before themselves when they need some extra motivation.

• Linus Hodges

I consider a strong work ethic to be one where the person is motiviated and persistant in regards to achieving a goal. I developed a decent work ethic based on the goals I set in place for myself. One goal that I set for myself is to be help people when they need it, whether it be through volunteer work or answering questions on homework. The best way to encourage others of the importance of a strong work ethic in society is to encourage them when they fail to try again. For the only way to truly learn is from failure.

• Hilda Estrada

My thoughts on developing a strong work ethic, are taking opportunities to demonstrate my potential and not being afraid of what people may think. Many times I feel I didn’t take opportunities because I was afraid people may think I was dogmatic or a novice. I developed my work ethic through role models and always being myself. By investing in my work skills and professionalism I will be able to develop appropriate work ethic. Work ethic defines the potential a person has and the quality of work that the person can give. We can encourage others to understand a committed work ethic is vital to sustained success by sharing stories of others who succeeded due to commitment in work ethic. Stories can be inspirational and motivated for someone to gain determination.

• Jacob Thompson

I really enjoyed Commissioner Keith’s speech. She seemed very passionate about Tulsa and it is always great to have someone who is happy represent you.

I think developing a strong work ethic is the key to success in many aspects of life. I am currently still working on my work ethic in some areas of my life. Once I have my work ethic down, I am certain that I will achieve great things. I attempt to encourage others to develop a strong work ethic by developing a plan to accomplish tasks when the opportunity arises.

• sierra munoz

It takes a lot of hard work, and especially perseverance, to develop a strong work ethic. Perseverance means staying steadfast and determined when difficulties arise. When working to achieve success you will definitely run into challenges but how you push through those determines your work ethic. I developed mine by setting goals and standards for myself. If I had homework due in a week I would always work on it and finish early and complete it to the best of my ability. As leaders we need to set examples and be the image that shows others how necessary a strong work ethic is in achieving success.

• Jake Seawright

Developing a strong work ethic is very important to me. My grandfather once told me that you should only have to apply for one job in your life, and your work ethic should earn you the rest. I believe this to be true as my first job was at Sonic Drive-In. I once carhopped to a lady and she offered me a much better job because of my upbeat personality and positive attitude. I was flatted by the offer and it made me realize that people really are watching no matter what you are doing. I keep developing my work ethic by maintaining a positive attitude at all times, even if it a job that I do not want to do. I think we just encourage others by doing, if someone sees another person succeeding by doing this, they will want to join in and do the same.

• Chloe McKinney

Developing a strong work ethic is vital for success. I believe that in order to be successful at whatever one is doing, they must be fully committed. I grew up being taught that whatever task I was doing I needed to commit to 100%, and was always pushed to do my best at whatever I was doing. I was also taught that I had to work for successes; they didn’t just come. Today, as I am on my own, I continue to practice these things and am self-motivated because I have learned that a strong work ethic is crucial for great success. I believe as leaders we must lead by example in showing others how important dedication and commitment are. If we do this, we will not only be creating our own success but also leading others to success as well.

• Madeline Barham

I believe that work ethic is learned at a young age. It is instilled in us by a parent, teacher, or other guardian figure. My work ethic was definitely taught by my parents. My mother was a teacher for twenty five years and my dad has been a police officer for twenty three. Their unchanging sense of work has taught me that things will not simply be handed to me. I need to set goals and work hard to achieve them. Helping others understand this method is sometimes not an easy task. I think that Karen Keith demonstrated that hard work pays off , but I feel as though she surrounds herself with like minded people. This is not a bad trait to live by, although teaching others that work ethic is important, may take patience. Patience is the key to teaching that work ethic is an important life skill to have.

• Maritza DeLoera

I believe that developing a strong work ethic requires effort and time. If there is no effort being put forth, then no progress will be made. Developing a strong ethic will not come fast as it’s a work in progress within yourself. I developed my work ethic by maintaining a persistent and positive attitude. Also, not giving up is significant in this process because no change would ever result if I were to quit. I believe everybody can achieve their definition of success through a strong work ethic because it shows you’re committed in what you believe in. We encourage others by pushing them to exceed their potential and by showing them the success that follows with a strong work ethic.

• Robia Charbonneau

Developing a strong work ethic is important to be successful in life. This is because to reach your goals, you need to work hard to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I developed my strong work ethic by watching my mother work hard. She is a single mother who raises four children, went to school full time and worked full time. She managed to receive her Bachelor’s this May and I could not be prouder. She has inspired me to always stay strong and work hard. When I do not feel like going to work or doing anything, she reminds me that I can do it. When I started college, I worked overnight full time and went to school full time. Many people upon hearing this, would ask me how I did it and I simply answer, “I just do it.” However, in my mind I imagine my mother reminding me that I can do it. I remind myself of my goals and just do what I have to do. I encourage others to understand a committed worked ethic by telling them about mine. I also tell them to do what is necessary to reach their goals, everyone has what it takes to be successful.

• Lauren Beck

I believe that I have a strong work ethic when it comes to things that I am passionate about. do, however, find it to be a little more difficult when the task at hand is an annoyance. I do recognize that I need to fix this within myself, so I am making efforts to find things that I enjoy about everything I do.
    I did not think that Mrs. Keith got to the point of what she “intended” to speak of. I checked out very early on, first because I picked up on the fact that she is politically liberal (STRONG). Leftists do not get under my skin unless they shove their ideologies down other people’s throats. It seems like a sad attempt at displaying dominance over those who do watch the “unreliable news source of Fox News” — to quote Keith. Nevertheless, her objective of providing tips and displaying her experience in the workplace, sadly missed the mark. Since she is such a strong proponent of involvement in the workforce and the construction of work ethic, why does she fight for the Left which is obviously lacking in this department?

• Cole Spradlin

Work ethic is not something that can happen over night. It takes years to develop a great work ethic. One must discipline themselves in the small things Day after day to slowly develops this attribute. One can learn this by looking into the lives of people with great work ethic. It will show they spent countless time developing their habits into lifestyles.

• I developed my work ethic through different clubs and organizations that I grew up being involved in. I always say how these memberships really made me who I am now-I started before I can remember, so it has truly always been a part of my personality. Attending meetings, training, activities, et cetera always made me very responsible with my time and dedications and growing up with those as well as holding leadership positions made me very dedicated to things that I care about. The most important thing, I believe, for others to understand about the importance of a committed work ethic is that your dedication affects more than just you. Everyone around you can be motivated or drained of energy because of your attitude, commitment, or drive–especially if you are holding a leadership position. As leaders, we have either been appointed or voted to a position or we are looked up to by others for a reason. We should hold ourselves accountable and dedicate ourselves to that position, organization, or goal. To encourage others to keep a strong work ethic, I think it is really important to spend time on teamwork, set clear goals, and keep open communication between you and your advisor, leaders, teammates, or organization.

• Morgan Tarpley

A good work ethic is a very important quality. It provides an incredible strength within your career, social life, school, etc. A good work ethic sets you above, increasing your value. Therefore, opening more opportunities. A good work ethic is not only important to have but it’s also important to be able to encourage and guide others to the success of one. When I entered high school as a freshman, I saw one of my friends, Jordan Medaris get complemented immensely about her work ethic. Honestly, I never knew what it meant to have one. By watching her and learning from her, I was able to grow into my own successful work ethic.

• Austin Loard

Mrs. Keith’s speech was very interesting. I agreed very strongly with her on the topic of work ethic. Like many people, I learned about hard work and the importance of a strong work ethic by watching my family. My parents and grandparents have all worked hard for what they have and set an example for me to follow. Both of my grandfathers worked at the tire plant in Ardmore and worked side jobs to help support their families. Both of my grandmother’s worked with children and young people. My parents both were the first in their families to go to college. They both went on to continue their education after graduating with degrees. My mother received her Master’s in education and my father received a J.D. My parents also pursued careers that involved giving back to their communities and encouraged me from an early age to do the same. I feel that the only way to encourage someone to have a strong work ethic is to show them by example. I do not believe you can teach a work ethic by words alone.

• Cole MacCollister

Commissioner Keith made good points about good work ethics and working towards improving the work ethics of others. As far as my personal opinion goes, I believe that a strong work ethic is one of the most important qualities to have in life. Nothing will be handed to you, so it is up to you to get your own and to make something of yourself. To develop my own work ethic, I started babysitting around the age of 9. At 14, I was able to get a job during the summer and after school, and I have been working ever since. I have developed a strong work ethic through not only my job, but through my academic career as well. Working on homework, studying a little extra, and always remaining attentive in class has given me a strong work ethic to do my schoolwork. This has especially helped me in college because the student is responsible for turning in their work and making sure that it’s done on time. I would encourage others to develop a strong work ethic because it will come in handy all throughout your life. You could face difficulties that you never thought you would face, so having a strong work ethic will enable you to work through those struggles and establish a good foundation that you may have not had before. By working hard and remaining consistent, one can succeed at anything they set their mind to.

• Lance Cooter

I just wanted to start off by saying thanks to Karen Keith for coming to speak to us about work ethic. I really enjoyed her speech and it made me really consider visiting Tulsa sometime soon! The way I developed my work ethic is by playing sports. I learned that I was not the best at sports, but if I worked harder then others then I will eventually past them skill level wise and that I exactly what happened. The way we can encourage others to get a great work ethic is make them realize without a great work ethic life will be hard. You need a good work ethic to be uccessful and everyone wants to be successful.

• Kyle Tangco

A strong work ethic is an important and fundamental trait that any leader must have. I believe that one of the best ways to develop great work ethic is by trying out a multitude of activities, being that in community service, a job, or a hobby. Having new experiences can help formulate what you’re good at, and through those experiences, untapped skills can increase your work efficiency in whatever you do, making you a versatile asset. Time management is also key, especially if you load yourself with many tasks and jobs. This is very important, because with a heavy agenda, you must learn to compensate that time for leisure and meditation.

Maintaining success can be challenging, since our growth and progress as leaders can degrade itself if we don’t choose to be proactive. It is also the reason why a leader must dedicate his/her path to a career or mission in which they are passionate for, leading them to a consistent drive to be better and more committed to whatever they do.

• Ethan Clark

I think that having a strong worth ethic is one of the most important things that you can have. Without a strong work ethic it is difficult to get anywhere and also to get things done in a timely manner. I think sports is one of the best was to develop this. It makes you work for what you want to earn and rewards you with that hard work. I think we can encourage others by setting an example because when we do that, they can see the success that comes from it.

• My father was my main inspiration to work hard. He would always tell me that Bases are not lazy people and that a person’s work ethic is what describes them. I believe a good work ethic is one of the most important characteristics a leader can possess because hard work is what it takes to be successful.

• Ethan Bruegel

I have talked nonstop about work ethic in these last couple of bogs, so having the chance to talk about it makes me ecstatic. After one short glance, one can tell that I’m not the strongest man in the universe, so when someone sees me working hard, then they feel guilty about seeing an anorexic kid doing more work than them. Jokes aside, my viewpoint on life is about challenging oneself and overcoming adversity which is only done through hard work. Through this viewpoint, I have developed my own work ethic that has changed me into the man I am today. I hope that my lifestyle and the lifestyle of other leadership students will show the world the value of hard work.

• Jarrod Barnett

I believe developing a strong work ethic is vital to becoming a strong leader. I think being a hard worker and showing that you are willing to roll up your sleeves to do what is necessary to accomplish a task, having that sense to do the work comes from a strong work ethic. Throughout my childhood my parents were always the ones to make me work for something if I wanted something and did not just give me whatever I asked for. I like to encourage others by asking them if they want to better themselves for the future. If it something that is important to them, then the work that they put forth will be worth it to them!

• Jared Johnson

I believe having a strong work ethic is key in a positive life. Things are not always handed to us on a silver platter. We have to work for what we have, and sometimes, what you have is based on how much effort you put in. I have personally struggled with depression all the way through high school. I even took two years off and attended an online school. In this break from public school I did everything in my power to get to where I could attend a public school and, in the future, hopefully a university. For two years I got up at five or six in the morning to workout and start a productive day. I stuck to a cleaner diet, got my school work done early, and even held a job. Through this effort, I can now say I go to a university and have a plan for my future. Without a strong work ethic, I would not be anywhere near where I am today.

• Amanda Rebman

I completely agree that a strong work ethic is needed in order to gain success. We must all be willing to work hard toward our goals, so change can be made. You can’t let one mistake or set back defeat you. You have to keep working hard to overcome every challenge you face. I have developed my strong work ethic by setting goals and not letting anyone tell me they are impossible. I keep working even when I want to quit. I always keep the end result in mind. I encourage others by explaining how a strong work ethic has helped me to succeed and that it is always worth it in the end.

• Mikkail Bishop

I believe a strong work ethic is extremely important to have because it shows your character and how you will perform your everyday duties at your job. I strive to be caring about what I do and to have a certain determination to show that I am willing to do what it takes to move up in my field. This took time since you do not have it starting out in your first job, but once I started working it became easy to see that I had wanted to work up into better positions rather than just settle for where I was at that moment. We can tell others that if they want to get anywhere better in their field rather than just stay at the bottom where they began then they will need to have a good work ethic because employers recognize those when they see it in potential promotions. Good work ethics are extremely important in just about any job that we do and we should really strive to have them on our own as well as strive to teach others how to build them.

• Wanda Clark

A strong work ethic is something that you have to be minful of. When you are trying to build your work ethic, it is a conscious process. One thing I am doing to improve my work ethic is to find joy in the small things. I try to find at least one positive thing in all of my tasks, even the most menial. Once you have established your work ethic, I think it becomes easier to convice others of its importance. You can tell them what your journey has been and how you have been helped by this goal to be better.

• Dayton Skeels

When developing a strong work ethic, ultimately you must understand why you are doing, what you are doing. If you are working solely to pay the bills, then you understand that you need to work hard and be on time to maintain that job. With that mentality you could even be promoted and relieve an ounce of stress in the process. I developed my work ethic by just understanding the kind of person I am. I am not one to sit back and watch as something happens. I like to be in the middle of it trying to figure out what needs to be done and how we are going to do it. This mentality has pushed me into getting things done as soon as possible or taking my time to make sure it composes my true thought process. Explaining how we encourage others to understand is a two way street. One way of the road is strictly to the individual. If that person has no drive, no motivation, or no will to do anything. Then you can probably expect them not do be committed to a successful work ethic. However, on the other side of the street, if we push and motivate others to become the best they can possibly be. Then, we can see that individuals will produce the best quality work. Obviously there will be some discouragement/fight against the work, because truly it is hard. To be successful is difficult. If it were easy, everyone would do it. That is one thing people must keep in mind, your success it based on how you treat every single day. If you lay in bed for 14 hours and don’t do anything with your day, that is not a successful work ethic. Now, If you sleep less than you are awake, because you lose track of time. Then, whatever you are working on, in time will probably lead to your success in that area.

• Emily Nelson

Developing a strong work ethic is so important to developing your self as a leader. I began deloping my work ethic in high school. I was 17 when I got a job a Hideaway Pizza. I needed this job because my parents were having a lot of financial trouble and I wanted to take stress off of them by starting to support my self and so I would have to ask for money anymore. As of this January, I will have been working there for 6 years. Aside from the fact that I love my job and developed many relationships at Hideaway, I had to learn a lot of lessons there. Saying no to plans when I had to work, getting in trouble if I didn’t follow policy, and being accountable for my responsibilities. I thank the management and my fellow employees for allowing me to grow and make mistakes in that environment. I was able to gain so many skills that I would not have learned in school. I have seen my self-use these skills in the many opportunities I have received since starting at Hideaway and they continue to support me in the opportunities that I will come into my life.

• Brandon Hill

I want to thank Mr. Keith for taking the time for coming to talk to us. I believe that work ethic first begins with how you are raised. I’m a middle class kid that has been forced to work for mostly all i have. My parents instilled these working class values into me from a young boy. People that are handed things don’t learn to appreciate what they have & tend to accomplish less. In my eyes my father is the hardest working person I know and i strive to be that same way. My work ethic is extremely important to me & will continue to drive me forward in life.