Week 8 – Lessons in Leadership – Marnie Taylor

Marnie Taylor discussed the three “G’s” that define her work and leadership: Grit, Grace and Gratitude. How can you incorporate these principals in your leadership development?

• Joshua Layton

Grit, Grace, and Gratitude are all extremely useful tools in a leaders belt. Grit is where a leader must start off. You have to be tough and strong enough to make the hard decisions, and maybe even sometimes be viewed as the bad guy. As long as you benefited the greater good, you are a great leader. It doesn’t matter how many people like you, what matters is that you made an impact. Grace is what comes along to balance Grit. Using Grace in your leadership involves executing your initiative in a way that is eloquent, and doesn’t cause mass panic. For instance, just because you are doing something a lot of people don’t agree with, doesn’t mean you have to do it in an inappropriate or gloating way. Lastly, Gratitude is the foundation for becoming a great leader. If you are thankful for those who helped you, and especially those you serve, they will be sure to return the favor. If people respect you, they will follow you; and respect is earned through respecting others, and making them feel like they have value.

• Jacob Thompson

I enjoyed Mrs. Taylor’s talk and I found her contributions to the field of nonprofit organizations inspiring.

In my opinion, having grit is shown when a person strives to succeed even when times are tough. Having grace is the ability to forgive someone who has wronged you or made a mistake. Having gratitude is showing how thankful you are to someone because of who they are and how they impact you in a positive way.

I strive to succeed when I am going through a difficult time, which shows grit.

For the most part, I feel that I show grace if I have been wronged.

I feel that I need to work on my ability to show gratitude.

• Lindsey Bruce

You can incorporate these principals in your leadership development by expressing these values every day, in every situation. To be a successful leader you have to have the grit to continue to do your job but also enjoy what you do, have no problem making it a priority. Grace, handling relationships, handling issues and disagreements with grace in important for respect and for things to run smoothly. Then gratitude, you must always appreciate the people you are leading, you should never take your position for granted or let the “power” get to your head.

• Tianna Arreguin

I feel like rather than focusing on incorporating these into my leadership development, it would be easier to incorporate the three “G’s” into my general lifestyle and it will spread to my development as a leader naturally. If I incorporate grit and pursue my passions, then I will be passionate about all that I am involved in which will help me enjoy what I am doing and that positivity can spread into my leadership style and I can be a more positive and guiding leader. Grace and gratitude go hand in hand in my opinion. I will be blessed with things I did not deserve and that will guide my to be a leader who helps others, even if they may not deserve it in the eyes of others. Gratitude will help me be thankful. I will be thankful for my failures as a leader and it will show me that I could do better as a leader and I could continuously improve. I will be thankful for all of the good things and bad things because all that has happened has shaped me as a leader.

• Brandon Hill

Mrs. Taylor is the president and CEO of the Oklahoma center for non profits. There is major importance in giving back to the community.
    Gratitude is to be thankful and show appreciation for what you have. I will not take what I have for granted as I have been blessed with the necessities and a great family. To incorporate gratitude and grace in my life I will continue to serve in my church on various mission trips. She explained how in her childhood she dealt with adversity. There was every single reason given to her in order to give up. She used this as motivation and overcame the alcoholism that her family could not. This took grit to keep her overall goal to not succumb and become successful. I will use grit added with determination in order to keep my year long GPA goal. Whenever asked to do something that is not beneficial to my goal I will not allow it to hold me back. Thank you to Mrs. Taylor coming to speak and reminding us to use Grit, grace, and gratitude.

• Lauren Hood

I loved Marie Taylor’s talk so much! I want to go into nonprofit work and I absolutely love her ‘why’ behind what she does! Grit, grace and graditutde are so important in leadership skills and life. I can incorporate grit into my leadersip by pushing through in tough situations and even placing myself in uncomfortable positions so I will grow. I will incorporate grace by giving it not only to others but to myself. As a leader, we will fail but we have to have the grace and strength to get back up and try again. I was so glad she incorporated gratitude to her talk. I believe this is so important as a leader! I can incorporate this by telling the people in my life who has helped develop me, stength me and made an impact on my life how thankful I am. Also by doing a journal of thanks for all I have been given that has helped me become the leader I am and will continue to help me grow! Using all of these three I believe will help me grow and develop my leadership in incredible ways!

• Karlee Ogden

In Marnie Taylor’s speech, she heavily emphasized the importance of having “grit”. Taylor mentions how being a lifelong learner will serve you well in life, specifically in jobs and searching for employment. Grit is also about finding your passion. I plan to use hard work and perseverance in everything I do, but I will also use it specifically in pursing my passion and lead with a hard working attitude. Grace is a gift someone gives you. I plan on incorporating grace into my leadership style when someone messes up, but I believe it has to be earned, otherwise people will take advantage of being given grace. Lastly, gratitude. Being grateful for what you are given is extremely important and as a leader I hope to show people my gratitude for them regularly so they know I appreciate them. Feeling appreciated is a very rewarding thing.

• I loved Mrs. Taylor’s three Gs. I feel that this is such a simple but imperative lesson in leadership. Grit is described as “courage and resolve; strength of character”. Grit is important for every leader to have because leadership is hard, and it is terrifying. So many people are depending on you, and, if you do not have courage and a strong mind, the pressure can get to you. Grace is also very important for every leader to have. I am a Christian, and God is a big part of my leadership style. God’s grace is given to us freely. We do not deserve it,and ,when we understand that, we view people differently. We have our eyes opened to the hurt of others, and that is a huge part of being a great leader. In my personal opinion, Gratitude is the most important G. Gratitude is the key to being a strong and gracious leader. We must learn to be thankful for all of the opportunities that have been presented to us. We must also be thankful for the people around us. q

• Pin-Yu Tsai

I would find the field I am interested in. Each filed has a different specialty, so I would find the specialty I am interested in and can pay a lot of tension. Also, I have to have my own passion, and then practice it again and again. I have a passion for international business. Expect my specialty on business; I have to keep practicing my language ability. When I do my works, I have to be patience and nice to my customers, colleagues, and managers. After finishing a whole day works, I would recall what happened in a day in my find, and thanks for five things or five people who helped me and keep them in the dairy. I would like to follow the way which Ms. Taylor do G’s, but I won’t copy, I will create my own way which can help me develop my leadership.

• Tyren Chestnut

Grit, Grace, and Gratitude are some very great things that every leader should encompass. If you’re a leader you should be passionate about what you’re leading, allow others to mess up, but also be there to help them, and be thankful for your work position. I think the 3 G’s should be a reminder for all leaders, and I hope to keep them in my mind as I continue my leadership career.

• Rachel Walker

Fist of all I must say that it was an absolute pleasure to listen to Mrs. Taylor’s story and how the three G’s are an important part of her life. Developing in leadership takes a lot of time, great leaders still develop over the years that they are being a leader. The three G’s hit every aspect in some way. Grit is the strength of your character, being able to have courage and resolve problems. Grace is how you hold yourself, being in the presence. Gratitude is being thankful, and how you return kindness to others. Being a leader, demonstrating these qualities, others will look up to you, and feel as if they can trust or rely on you, and that’s a beautiful feeling.

• I feel like these three principals balance each other out and cover a broad spectrum of qualities that each leader should posses. Alternately, they can guide you as a leader and help you think about situations as you react to them. As you grow and develop as a leader, it is important to have grit as you persevere through whatever obstacles you may face. It equally as important to have grace and gratitude as you’re developing. There is a fine line between being a leader and being someone in charge, and I think grace and gratitude explain the qualities one must show in order to stay on the leader side of that line. Overall, I loved listening to Marnie speak to us and hear her stories.

• Garrett Gunn

I really enjoyed listening to what she had to say. Grit, Grace, and Gratitude are three very important things that we should all try to incorporate into our daily lives. First, I would like to talk about Grace. This is something that I definitely need to incorporate into my life more. I plan on doing this by going to Church more or even going to a Bible study once a week. I pray all the time, but I feel so much more relaxed when I study the Bible. God works in numerous ways, and even though it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, God is always there and will always do what is right for you. Second, I would like to talk about Grit. This is something we all need to have. Things will not always be simple and easy, but you have to have the mind set to persevere and fight through the obstacles that stand in the way of you reaching your dreams. Finally, I would like to address Gratitude. Doing nice things for others is a fantastic feeling and it doesn’t have to be something huge either, the simplest gestures go the farthest. I plan on going out of my way to do something kind for someone at least once a week to incorporate some extra gratitude into my life. By becoming more involved in these areas, I feel I will become more happy and satisfied with what I am doing with my life.

• Emelia Denham

Grit, grace, and gratitude can easily be shown in a leader’s actions. These can be shown in various ways. For example, grit can be incorporated in my leadership development by the courage and bravery needed to resolve issues that arise with a positive attitude. Grace can be shown by being forgiving others even if you feel they may not deserve another chance. Finally, gratitude can be incorporated by not only showing your thanks, but also returning the favor to another. Being kind and acknowledging where credit is due is important as well.

• Evilin Juanes

You need grit to be able to get things done and have others actually listen to you as a leader, acting as the powerful force behind everythign. You need grace to do things smoothly and thought that does not always mean without bumps in the road, it does mean when you do have those you know how to get back up from them. And you need gratitude to be able to be thankful for all of these things, the good and the bad. All of these things are important in order to be a good leader because they help you become more focused and intentional. If everything is clear then you know that the way you lead is clear too.

• Megan Watkins

Marnie Taylor defined “grit” as our passion. She also mentioned that, as young leaders, it is essential that we do not zero in on one passion and to “be careful, but date a lot” in order to find that true passion. Passion is what drives leaders to be leaders. As leaders though, we all fail or make mistakes sometimes. Grace is what separates those only in the leadership business for the title and those in it to truly make an impact on their community. I believe that some of the best leaders give grace when it is least deserved. As I continue to grow as a leader, I must learn to allow myself to give grace and allow others another chance to do what needs to be done or correct what might have gone wrong before; to be understanding that we are all human and make mistakes as well as understanding that I would prefer grace over none during trial and error. In order for me to truly develop as a leader, I must show my gratitude when gratitude is due. After pursuing my passion and experiencing trials and errors, but success as well, I can imagine only feeling thankful for the processes of the three “G’s” that helped me to develop further as a leader. It was truly an honor to hear from such an inspirational leader such as Marnie Taylor. Thank you for coming and sharing your heart, story, and passion, Marnie. I hope to be even half as successful as a leader as you someday.

• Graeme Morrison

The three G’s of leadership is a solid way to lead that covers all the basic principles that I believe you need to be an effective leader. Grit is something that I am very familiar with coming from a small Oklahoma town and having to fight to get to the city. Grace is something I think of as being able to admit when you are wrong, and being a leader means you will be wrong sometimes; it is important that you can admit when that is. Gratitude is personally the thing I think most highly of out of the three; leaders should be the most grateful people in the group they’ve are apart of. They should always lead by example and remember that they are not the only ones in their figurative “camp”. I want to use the three G system to become not only a better leader, but also a better person. Determination and grit, grace and passion, and gratefulness are all traits that anyone can benefit from. I struggle with being grateful sometimes – as we all do – when the world just seems to weigh down on me, but it’s in the moments I have to stand steadfast and be grateful for what I do have, and accept the things I cannot change. If I can implement these traits into my leadership, it will make my team and I closer over all.

• Madelynn Dancer

There are endless ways in which I can incorporate “Grit, Grace, and Gratitude” into my leadership development.
    First, I can incorporate grit by always trying my absolute hardest in all of my endeavors. Marnie Taylor stressed the importance of perseverance saying that, “No one will go through life unscarred.” For me, this means completing three extremely tough years of law school and doing homework to the best of my ability, so I can be the best criminal attorney possible. It is also important for me to persevere during sad times or failures. Optimism is a key skill of great leaders, and leaders cannot be optimistic unless they possess the grit to continually work their hardest for the benefit of others.
    Second, Marnie Taylor said that, “Grace is not earned. It is a gift.” I can best incorporate this into my leadership development by reminding myself to give others the same grace my God gives me. I need to remind myself that no one is perfect and people will always make mistakes. This is a skill I struggle with, particularly when my feelings have been injured by someone else. However, I am trying to strengthen this skill by increasing my emphasis on empathizing with others. Being a perfectionist, I also have to remind myself daily that I am allowed to make mistakes.
    Lastly, I loved Marnie Taylor’s advice to create a gratitude journal! This is something I am going to start completing every day. I sometimes have a tendency to become so focused on a task that I forget to thank my close friends and family who support or assist me in those projects. A gratitude journal will help me better express my appreciation for them. As a leader, it is my duty to give back to the community. I can do this through service projects and becoming involved with a nonprofit organization.

• Ethan Clark

These principals work hand in hand with leadership in many aspects. Grit is something that is not talked about or thought of very often when you think of leadership but it is very important. You can’t let things or people get into head with negativeness. You have to have grit to persevere and succeed in your objective whatever the circumstance. You also have to be graceful with the things that you do. You can’t just be a bull in a china closet, so to speak, when your working with people. The last thing, gratitude, is often overlooked and it can be one of the most important things out there. You always need to show your appreciation and give thanks where thanks is due.

• Catie Wilson

Marnie Taylor defined “grit” in a procedure. The first step was finding your passion, then practicing how and where to use that passion and lastly to persevere throughout the challenges that you face. Often in leadership positions you are faced with opposing opinions, and difficult decision making. But if you have grit, and perseverance and a meaningful reason behind what you are doing then those challenges and decisions will come easier. Taylor described “grace” as something that you should give to people, no matter the circumstances. There is so much learning to go on throughout leadership experiences that everyone in one will make countless mistakes. Taylor discusses when someone does make mistakes it is our responsibility to “give them grace” and to let mistakes humble yourself and the people you work with. The last “g” ties into a few different aspects of grace. “Gratitude” by Marnie Taylor’s definition is what you spend your money on and what you spend your time doing throughout life. In a leaders life and development of their skills, it is so important that they spend their time being intentional and investing in people and things that matter. These investments may shape their future for a long time depending how well they do it.

• Morgan Tarpley

Marnie Taylor touched on the topic of three G’s to live by. Her message encouraged me to incorporate these into my everyday life. Marnie defines grit as ‘finding your passion.’ As a leader, finding your passion will be beneficial because your leadership will be able to develop and grow beyond measures. That growth is due to a passion in your heart pushing you to indulge in certain areas of your leadership qualities.
    Gratitude and grace are very important in your leadership development. Having grace results in you as a leader being able to forgive and teach those around you. Grace and gratitude go hand and hand into being a leader. So, having these apart of your development as a leader is very crucial. Because, if a leader didn’t live with grace in their heart, they’re leadership would not be as successful. If a leader did not express gratitude, they would not have the durability and strength to accomplish their goals.

• Sarah Faust

Mrs. Taylor talked about grit, grace and gratitude. I have never hear the term grit before. Yet, I found it a strong and powerful word. To have grit I believe means to work hard and not let anyone stand in you way when you want something. However, everything you do, do it with grace and gratitude. When being a leader you might have to say you opinion and deal with difficult situations. A leader knows the balance between being stern and being gracious.

• Raliyn Thomas

I can incorporate this by remembering to work hard every day, do my job with love and remember the feelings of those I work with and be grateful for everything that I do.

• Hsiang-Chin Hsu

To incorporate “G’s” principals in my leadership development, I have three ways. The first one is about grit, I should participate more activities to find my passion in one thing. When I find the thing, I can do it and never give it up. The second one is grace, I should manage my emotion and bring the great the great mood to others. The last one and the most important thing is gratitude, I should appreciate everything that I have. When I can keep these three things in mind, I can be a great leader.

• Mikkail Bishop

I strongly agree with Marnie Taylor’s three “G’s” that make a great leader. You need grit to be strong and confident in your decisions as a leader. You need grace to show others that you can be a kind leader, and if you turn out to be wrong about a subject you can accept it and move on and use it to be a better person. I believe the most important one though is gratitude, because you need to be humble and thankful for those around you and the ones that have influenced you to be the leader that you are working to become.

• Sierra Munoz

As Marnie Taylor discussed, Grit, Grace and Gratitude are key characteristics when developing leadership. Personally I think I have found my Grit, or passion, which is serving others so that they benefit. I found this out through a mission trip I did in Guatemala where I spent a whole week serving others and absolutely loved it. I hope I get to do more and more trips like this after I graduate. Everyone, including myself deserves Grace. It us an unearned gift, and when given shows ones leadership skills. Gratitude is also important; for example, on my trip to Guatemala I realized how grateful I am to live in America with actual floors and working bathrooms. The thing that amazed me was even though I had a million more possessions then the people living there, the Guatemalans had so much joy and love it overwhelmed me. They didn’t have any physical things to share with me but after spending time with them, I had never felt so much love and happiness inside me. They showed me that if I don’t have something to hand to someone, I can always pour out my grace, joy, love, and smiles!! Thinking back on this amazing experience, I agree with Taylor that Grit, Grace, and Gratitude help shape a leader and I hope to continue using these to shape me into a more developed leader.

• Maddie Higdon

Grit, Grace, and Gratitude. Three very valuable yet overlooked aspects of leadership. I know that Marnie Taylor spoke mostly about grit but to me, grace really stood out. When working in a team, you will have so many diverse personalities. Some people will want to take control and lead by organizing and some will want to just stay quiet and get the job done. Both types are equally important when wanting to get the job done. Throughout my leadership experience, I’ve learned that some things will not go as planned, and you won’t necessarily get along with or agree with some of your teammates and the best thing to do is have grace. To not discourage your teammate for the sake of your mission. Marnie Taylor is right, we should all give each other a little grace and learn from our own and each others’ mistakes.

• Linus Hodges

Marnie Taylor’s concept of leadership was influenced by her religious beliefs, which has helped her within the nonprofit sector. Though I am not a religious person, I admire Mrs. Taylor’s use of grace in regards to a working environment. She discussed how she would give her colleagues forgiveness when they make a mistake or did not meet a deadline. She mentioned how circumstances affect performance and by taking these factors into account would one achieve a better understanding of how to fix situations. In return, one should have gratitude for the grace presented to a person by one’s colleagues.
    Grace does not only apply to the workforce but in personal affairs as well. For Example, recently I have been inconsiderate of my friend’s advice and as a result, some conflict had arisen. I am grateful for my friend’s ability to be patient and desire to cooperate. Our relationship has been altered, but with some time hopefully, the bond we once had would be somewhat restored. By incorporating grace and gratitude into my daily examination of myself, I would be more considerate of the people around me and what they are going through.
    Marnie Taylor’s use of the word grit reminded me of how a leader must be resilient to failure. I believe that to incorporate grit into my leadership skills, I must learn to be more assertive. The ability to be assertive will allow me to as my mind in the most effective way possible, without doubting the cognateness of my response.

• Melanie Holcomb

When developing our leadership skills it is vital to incorporate these fundamental traits. Grit will allow us to be determined in our future endeavors and persevere though tough times. Gratitude will allow us to appreciate our blessings in life and give thanks to those that have helped us. Then there is grace. According to Google, grace is the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings. To some this is an essential part of leadership. However, I disagree. I do not believe that grace is needed in order to be a strong leader. Instead, I prefer having a strong moral ideology. While these two are remarkably similar, grace requires religious aspects that I would rather not incorporate into my life. Although I do think it is a great thing for people to have grace and to feel that favor. It is just not for me.

• Rylie Smith

Mrs. Taylor brought up many points regarding her three “G’s” that shape her, but I feel one of the most impactful to me personally was Gratitude. She described gratitude in a way that made me think about all of the people in my life that I am grateful for and the fact that I don’t always take the time to tell that they are important to me. This for me also plays into one of her other “G’s”, Grace. She explained this as a gift that we don’t deserve. When I think of this principle, I think of all of the time that those around me have invested in my growth as a leader as well as in my faith and how many times I haven’t told them how much of an impact they made. This also made me want to continually grow and learn and then invest my time in helping those around me discover their passions. I also loved the fact that she described having Grit as finding a passion and putting it into practice by persevering and showing up and following through on your commitments. Lastly, one of the most impactful statements that Mrs. Taylor made during her presentation was, “If life gives you a blank slate, draw on it” . This resonated with me because we have the tremendous gift of writing our own story and we can choose to live as though every situation is an opportunity to add another chapter. I hope to discover the three words that shape me and be able to live them out on a daily basis.

• Katelynn Patton

Marine Taylor said in her speech that in order to have grit, you have to find your passion. I absolutely agree with this. Passions are what drive us to be leaders the things we care about. It is difficult to fully invest and put your all into something when you are not passionate about it. Once you find your passion, I believe then you can have grit. However, I also believe that you can have grace and gratitude at all times, whether you have found your passion or not. I believe that it is always important to be gracious to others and give your “time and talent” because these are two things that God has graciously given to us. If God gives is gracious to us, we should definitely be gracious to others. I believe that the most gracious people are always wonderful leaders. I also believe that gratitude is truly what makes or breaks us. Charles Swindoll once said, “life is 10% of what happens and 90% of how you react to it.” Everyone goes through tough times, but great leaders react to tough times by having gratitude for the blessings in their lives. I pray that God will help me find my passion so I can have grit and that He will teach me Grace and Gratitude each and every day.

• Yu Chien Wang

I think all of these principals are essential irreplaceable. First, I will find my passion and let it perfect, because if you find the thing or goal that you are really interesting in, you can do it longer and better. Second, practice it all days, “practice makes perfect”, I believe it strongly and deeply. The last, I will appreciate my friends, my family and all of people who support me and help me a lot! With above of that, I think not only it can develop my leadership skill, but also help me be a good leader in the future.

• Yu Hsuan Lin

To be volunteer helping people without profits is a boost way to back up ourselves. During the processing of people and people contacts with each other make us grace and gratitude, we know how to put down your proud and listen others voice, knowing more information from people in every felid. Grit is inevitable, we need to use our wisdom and humor dealing with conflict and have a good communication in the end. If we want to be a good leader, friendship between others is essential and vital connection in the future. I am very appreciate Marine Taylor shared us her life and how to improve ourselves.

• Maritza DeLoera

Having grit as I grow in my leadership style represents the courage that should be instilled in anybody who seeks the desire of growth. Incorporating grit throughout my leadership development means that I will stand for what I believe in and to be courageous about it. Implementing grace in my growth as a leader means that I will be driven to inspire others. Gratitude is often overlooked because we always tend to veer our focus on the negatives aspects in life. By being thankful of everything I have in my life and to be someone who shows gratitude in any way is how I will incorporate gratitude in my leadership development. These three components are derived from passion. As Marnie Taylor discussed that to have passion is the key in any self-change.

• Lauren Beck

Grit, grace, and gratitude are all three attributes that are easily incorporated into daily leadership styles. Marnie Taylor discussed how she wrote down five things that she was thankful for every night before bed. Eventually, I believe that it would be easy to run out of new things that you are thankful for and fall into the habit of putting four of the same things every night and one new thing. Gratitude in this style is hard to incorporate into leadership unless you were flatly offering this ideal to other people. However, to make a point of thanking people for very day deeds, can make a huge impact on them and other people around you. A sort of leadership. Grit and grace, while relative polar opposites are easily integrated into leadership. Every Oklahoman is said to have a certain “grit,” so incorporating grit is easy to say and do for an Oklahoman. Grace is needed to counterbalance the intense curve of grit and keep calm an inviting atmosphere for people to want to follow.

• Kenzie Taylor

Marie Taylor was truly inspirational! Not only was she an amazing speaker and storyteller, she was also passionate about her job and it was evident from the moment she started speaking. Rather than just telling us about what she does and her organizations, she gave us life lessons about how to be passionate about giving back. We all have benefited from at least one non-profit organization. We should always remember to have a heart of giving. Marie Taylor did a fantastic job of showing us how to be a leader in her line of work. But, personally, I believe she did an even better job of reminding me to have a giving mindset as I go through life. A great week!

• Han Seth Lu

Grit is the most important and basic skill in success. People tend to give up on things that keeps failing. But hard things take time to be accomplished successfully. Grit takes patience, time, stamina and faith. Grace is hard to practice but it is one of the excellent skills that extraordinary people have. Grace is a combination of forgiveness, positivity and appreciation. It is very important in leadership as a strong leader need to be optimistic, sociable and humble. Gratitude is concerned with Grace. This is the part where we need to appreciate one another and give respect. As a strong leader, giving respect to peers, rivals and follower is one of the key to success in charismatic leadership.

• Curtis Diaz

I agree with Taylor in her usage of the three “G’s.” Firstly, Gratitude. I believe that Gratitude is what helps me recognize how I am fortunate to be where I am, and to never take that for granted. However, Gratitude should not encourage settling. I think having Gratitude for what I have been given is exactly why I should push harder. I can be better, so I should try to be my best. Next, Grace. I feel that Grace is unique in that it refers to how I respond to others, rather than my own thoughts. Grace means that I should be understanding and forgiving, because we all make mistakes. I think Grace is very important because it is what gets us over seemingly impassable emotional roadblocks. Finally, I feel that Grit is the most important of the three “G’s.” Grit is what has gotten me here and Grit is what will get me to the finish line. Grit is what separates people who do and people who wish to do. I feel like I have a lot of Grit, but not nearly as much as I hope to have. Grit means hard work and discipline and dedication. If you’ve got a little Grace, a lot of Grit, and remember your Gratitude, I think anyone can go far.

• Madeline Barham

Marnie Taylor made very interesting points in her lecture. She talked about grace, grit, and gratitude and how as people, we should live by these points. We can all incorporate these three things in our leadership abilities. Using grit and being real with others is one way that can gain trust. Grace is something you hand out freely. When using grace, it is not something you expect to be given in return. For example, if you do not have the money, do not give up on your passion, volunteer your time. With gratitude, it is very self explanatory. You always not only give gratitude freely to those who have done above and beyond, but when giving do not expect to get. Being a leader is about being humble. Everyone wants recognition for their contributes, but learn it does not always happen.

• Taylor Powell

Grit, grace, and gratitude are great characteristics of what it means to be a leader. Grit is finding your passion and living it out. Every leader had a different passion but living it out and influencing others while doing it is what makes a great leader. Grace is something you don’t earn. As a leader, it is important to show grace to those around you. And lastly, gratitude shows a persons heart. How people treat one another and care for him or her really shows what kind of person they are. As I continue to become a leader to those around me, Marnie Taylor did a great job explaining what grit, grace, and gratitude mean. This was a great reminder for me to not be ashamed of my passion, and as I live out my passion I need to show grace and gratitude along the way.

• Madison Lance

While honing my leadership skills, I plan to encourperate the same three “G’s” that Marnie Taylor dicsussed. Having grit means to me that I have the tenacity and determination. I won’t give up even when times get challenging.
    Having grace, I will honor what is right under all circumstances. And last, but certainly not least is gratitude. I will show my appreciation and never forget those who helped me become who I am today.

• Matthew Ecton

I believe Mrs. Taylor’s presentation on the three “G”s was both relevant and helpful for today’s generation. Grit is not something I see much these days, especially in the work force. When obstacles come and things get tough, people tend to check out and give up. By keeping my focus on the big picture and powering through when things become difficult, I can apply the discipline of “grit” to my life. Grace is also something near and dear to my heart. Being a man of faith, grace is something that is always on my heart. Because of the forgiveness that my Father in heaven has shown me, there is no right for me to hold unforgiveness against someone else. Gratitude is an area that I need to get much better at as well. It is so easy to focus on the negatives of life. More often, we should count our blessings and give thanks for everything we do have instead of complaining about what we don’t have. I very much enjoyed Mrs. Taylor’s lecture. I was very inspired by her passion and vision.

• Brook Marshall

I believe that if I want to be a good leader I need these three principals in my work and leadership. Grit will get me to where I want to be with hard work I can accomplish anything. Grace will help me continue moving forward even when I’m not successful, and help me push people around me forward when they’re not successful. Lastly, I will use gratitude to thank the people that help me along the way to success. The three “G’s” are not only going to be incorporated into my development as a leader, but also into my leadership style.

• Reagan Whitlock

I think there are many ways to incorporate Marnie Taylor’s principles into my everyday life. I personally am going to work on incorporating grit, by having persistence and working to be my best everyday. I hope to inspire others with my determination and show my heart through my work.

I plan to include grace by leading with servant leadership. I believe it is pivotal to lead by example and to earn the respect of those you are leading. Elegance and respect are part of leading with grace and I hope to exhibit these in my work.

The last “G” Marnie Taylor discussed was gratitude, which is something I value above many other things. It is so important to remain humble throughout your career and everything else you commit to. Showing humility in your work is exactly what a good leader must have. Part of being a leader is insuring the spotlight isn’t on you but on the things you’re passionate about. I hope I can continue to show this in my work and remain humble through everything that I am apart of. I have been so blessed to be where I am in my life and to be surrounded by the amazing people I have not to see how truly grateful of a life I have.

• Lance Cooter

I just wanted to start off by saying that Marnie Taylor gave such a great speech and really taught me about leadership and how to lead others in a positive way. The three G’s are very important for the development of leadership. Grit is the ability to fight through events that get very difficult and get the job done correctly. Grace is the way you handle a situation and as a leader you want to be graceful and do your job the smoothest way possible. Gratitude is when you express how grateful you are to have you employees and has a leader you want to acknowledge your workers and show that you appreciate their hard work.

• Nicole Bergstrasser

Grit involves searching for my passions in life. Growing as a leader means going out and trying different things and seeing what I like to do. Marnie mentions that you have to get out in the game and find where you fit. I didn’t stay with the first thing I was passionate about, so how do I know I’m not missing out on something I love doing more.
    It takes, practice, purpose, and perseverance to find what your passion is, as Marine put it. Grace applies when a member of my team doesn’t live up to expectations and I decide to freely give them grace, and not hold them back because of their mistake. I think grace can also be used for people in our lives who treat us disrespectfully, and we chose not to retort. The final G was gratitude. If you cant show gratitude when its due, you can’t be a leader. A leader notices and acknowledges others help, and thanks them for it, without hesitation. Showing gratitude makes people want to do things for you, since they feel appreciated knowing you recognize their help and effort.

• Gratitude is definitely needed in leadership. I personally carry more gratitude than I do grit, therefore I can continue showing my community and others how thankful I am. My lack of grit could be be improved tremendously by working hard at self encouragement and being, believing in myself, and looking at the positive side of situations. These ways can help my assurance in myself, but I cannot reach a state of confidence on my own. I will need the help and support of my fellow leaders and companions.

• Ethan Bruegel

I find that the aspect of Grit is very resonant with me in college. Marie Taylor defined it as finding passion, practice, and perseverance. While grace and gratitude are important to develop in college, grit is integral to my success as a leader. I am here in college to find what I love doing and how I can apply leadership to those paths; I am also here to put what I have learned in real world scenarios with my different leadership positions. One must keep strong in college and find the strength to keep furthering leadership development. These three aspects of grit aid me in finding who I am as a leader.

• Caleb Williams

Grit, Grace, and Gratitude are incredibly important attributes to aspire towards in life, especially when it comes to leadership. Starting with Gratitude, being grateful for the hard work others have put into your life is a very important thing to remember. No one gets to where they are on their own, countless people pour into us to help shape us into the people we want to be. Grace is also very important in leadership. People will always make mistakes, we all do; the important thing is to have grace for people when they fail. Nobody likes to work with overbearing people who micromanage others constantly. Finally, grit is equally just as important as the other two attributes. Having perseverance to overcome obstacles is so important when it comes to achieving goals. Not only does grit apply for when you fail, but it also ties into grace for when others who are working with you fail. All three of these attributes are ones that I want to aspire towards in my leadership career, not only while I am at UCO, but for the rest of my life.

• Kyle Tangco

Marnie Taylor has definitely made me realize the benefits of always trying something new, and in the process of doing so, Marnie has opened my mind to also think back at the times when my gifts and strengths were put into good use. A problem that I tend to deal with is that I limit myself to many experiences because I’m very focused on my goals towards becoming video producer and musician. It wasn’t bad to commit in earning my achievements, but doing this caused me to turn down possible opportunities, and has even made me push people away who either were close to me or needed my help. Seeing the results of my choices, I take new steps in applying the 3 “G’s.”

Now it doesn’t mean that I’m letting go of my whole-hearted-long-term goals, but for my development as a leader I need to turn them into a passion and not a pursuit. I need to realize the joy I get when I create and perform, basking in the growth I have received as an artist. So every time I get to perform at my church or have the offer to create a graphic, I’ll see it as a blessing that counts for the success I already earned. I know I have the Grit, and now it is time to invest on realizing the Grace I have as a student in UCO; seizing the opportunities given by the university. Alongside, it is also time for me to have Gratitude to give more time to help my friends, and strengthen relationships with people who need my support and care in their personal struggles.

In the words of Mike Turpen, “If you ain’t givin’ you ain’t livin’.”

• jjohnson217

Marnie Taylor’s three “G’s” cover a wide spectrum of leadership. Grit has to do with how hard you work as well as self motivation. Grace is knowing that mistakes happen and teaching others how to learn from them instead of being hard on them. Gratitude is recognizing other people’s accomplishments and awarding them for it. I would like to be able to incorporate all of these things in my development as a leader. All three “G’s” are things I need to work on myself, but as I grow in these areas I can also teach others how to use them.

• Ren Jian Lee

Grace and gratitude are ever-present in my development; grace is what gets me to this position and gratitude is what I express throughout my ministry. Grit, however, was a new concept to me. Passion and purpose were mentioned, and I realized passion gives me the goal—the purpose for doing what I do. I need to constantly improve myself by practicing, and in the process I might fall down a few times; that serves to strengthen me and develop my leadership skills.

• Wanda Clark

Marnie Taylor talked about grit, grace, and gratitude as her three traits she lives by. All three of these are very important to everyone. Grit, finding my passion and purpose, then practicing and persevering to make that passion happen is uniquely necessary for leadership development. You must have a passion and do all you can to pursue that passion for your leadership to mean everything. One thing that Mrs. Taylor said about grace that I believe is amazingly brilliant is that you must give grace to yourself. Do not wallow in your failures, but keep moving forward. Lastly, making sure that you are grateful to those that got you to where you are and to those that continue to help you today is so important. The idea of keeping a gratitude journal reminds me of a video that we watched in Success Central. The video showed that when you say ‘thank you’, you actually become a happier person. Making these three ideas a center piece of leadership journey will make me a happier and more purposeful person.

• Jake Seawright

Marine Taylor described grit as a strength of character. I believe this is a major trait of a leader. You can show your strength of character in everyday things you do. I also believe that grace is a very important leadership trait. Grace is defined as being able to transform and inspire the ones around them. I believe I can incorporate this into my everyday lifestyle by setting a good example for people that may be looking up to me. Setting a good example shows grace by inspiring them to do these things as well. Gratitude is ,in my opinion, on of the most important leadership traits. Gratitude can be implemented in ones life by simply being grateful. If someone is doing their job well and you show gratitude, than it inspires them to do even more.

• Cole MacCollister

I believe that it is important to incorporate the three Gs into my leadership development because they will help me grow and expand my overall quality of leadership. By having grit, I can be a fierce leader. Although grit is often associated with being rude, it is actually quite the opposite. Grit will help me to make hard decisions and stay true to myself and my integrity. Grace is also an important quality to have because it shows my soft side. By having grace I can also be more humble, due to the fact that I may have been in the other person’s shoes before. Finally, and the last and most important G, is gratitude. Without gratitude, I wouldn’t be where I am today. If it wasn’t for people that helped me in my life then I wouldn’t have had as many opportunities or helping hands. By incorporating these Gs, I can develop a more efficient and effective leadership style that can inspire others to incorporate these Gs into their own leadership development.

• When you hold a leadership position, it is very easy to feel “above” others. As a good leader, you must have gratitude for your position, as you received that position due to someone believing it was right for you, or due to many people voting for you, so you must remain thankful that you have the opportunity; it keeps you humble. You also have to have a certain drive and dedication to following through on your plans, working with all sorts of different people, and putting in a lot of time and effort. If you don’t have grit, you won’t be able to hold up to the challenges of leadership. Finally, you have to realize that you will fail occasionally; you have to have the grace to realize that some things just don’t go as you want them to. Your teams won’t always work together perfectly, and sometimes you just have to accept that you can’t do what you planned or wanted to. It is the challenge of a good leader to accept that, and to keep going in spite and because of it.

• Chloe McKinney

The three main points discussed by Marnie Taylor- grit, grace, and gratitude- are extremely applicable in my leadership journey. Grit closely relates to two other main points that reoccur almost every week: passion and perseverance. I was reassured when she reminded us that it is okay if we don’t know what our passion is yet. She encouraged us to try new things and experience what life has for us as we look for our passions, and I believe that in doing that I will grow as a person and as a leader. She also encouraged us to not only give grace to others, but to give grace to ourselves. I believe this is something that I often overlook, and being reminded that we are just as deserving of the grace we give others will create opportunities to learn and grow. Lastly, she emphasized gratitude, reminding us that it is a way to show our hearts and give back. The combination of these three things will be invaluable as I continue to develop as a leader.

• Hilda Estrada

Marnie Taylor discussed the three “G’s” that define her work and leadership: Grit, Grace and Gratitude. I can incorporate these principals in my leadership development by being open to “grit”, my passion and the pathways my passion takes me to. She also mentioned, one does not have to stay within one passion, but allow to have a passion in other areas. Grace: by staying humble and always sharing what I learn, without enforcing change on others. Gratitude: I will always keep in mind of all the people I meet throughout my journey. Also being grateful and appreciative for every single moment and person that is a motivation, inspiration, and reason for my decisions. Selfless and courage is the key to leadership, even if it means to step out of my comfort zone and do things I would not normally do.

• Bryan Becker

I think the most import thing about incorporating these three principles into my own leadership development will be keeping a balance between all of them. Grit, grace, and gratitude are three completely different qualities. To strengthen my grit I will stick it out through tough situations that I would rather quit. Each time you don’t give up you learn that much more about grit. To become more graceful I will continue to work with people that I find it difficult to work with. Every time that I feel irritated I will remember to forgive them and give them a little grace. To strengthen my gratitude I will do my absolute best to go over the top and thank the individuals that help me along. Practice makes perfect with many traits but I believe even more so for gratitude.

• I really enjoyed listening to Mrs. Taylor and her view on the importance of the word grit an what it means to her. I feel like grit can be applied to almost any part of a persons life. as far as leadership goes, grit will play a big part in when thing need done that someone may not feel like they want to do it. he or she will need to display grit to overcome obstacles and feelings that may keep them from accomplishing their goal.

• Austin Loard

Grit. When I was a senior playing football, our coach expected us to set an example for the younger players. That meant when we were tired and wanted to quit, we were expected to keep going, so that the younger players would follow our example. I’ve seen that again during practice for Cheer and Dance. This was my first time to participate, but the older students were encouraging and set a great example when we were tired from the late practices. In the future, I will try to be a good example to younger students and show them to never give up and keep pushing even when you are tired and want to quit.
    Grace. It’s easy to be in a good mood and friendly to others when things are going well, but when things aren’t going well, or when one is under a lot of pressure because of school and responsibilities, it is also easy to lose one’s temper or fail to treat others in a professional manner. There is a reason people talk about “grace under pressure.” I plan to strive to always treat others with respect and be someone who encourages others because of my attitude regardless of the pressures I face.
    Gratitude. I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that are available due to being a part of Leaders of Tomorrow. I intend to repay this “debt of gratitude” by taking advantage of these opportunities and by being involved in my campus community and always doing my best to help those that have not been blessed with the opportunities I have.

• Grit sticks out to me because I think the word is about being tough in whatever you do. As a leader it is important to show grit because people will see your toughness and will be inspired. Giving grace is exceptable to an extent because somebody can abuse this quality. Gratitude, on the other hand, is something that should always be shown because people appreciate acknowledgement.

• Erika Jenkins

Grit, grace, and gratitude. With everything that has been earned or given, gratitude will be my ultimate response. Good or bad, it all can only make me better. I will find the positives and not rely solely on the negatives. I will persevere with grit. The long haul is what really matters, so we must. Graceful is definitely not my middle name, but I can only work to better that ability to contribute as well to my future success.

• Jarrod Barnett

Mrs.Taylor was a very motivational speaker, all three of her point were very applicable to leadership. Incorporatating grit is one of the best thing you can do for your life. Having a can do never give up attitude can help you achieve almost anything you set your mind to. Having gratitude is another great characteristic to have, an individual cannot always win everything so being able to be gracious for the the opportunity is very important to realize that life is not a cake walk, which is where grit comes in. Having grace is kind of the opposite of gratitude. You do not want to be he person who wins and becomes a jerk, you should want to help other also become successful. I once heard a saying that you should be a rung on the ladder to help people succeed with you, don’t just climb the ladder.

• Lillian Baker

When leading a group, grit can come in play when you take initiative to do things. It’s when you have passion about what you are doing so therefore, you make things happen. But you can’t just make your will happen. This is where grace comes in. With everything you do, do it with grace. The definition of grace is elegance or beauty of form. Grace let’s people see that you see that they are human and equal. Now is when gratitude comes in. We have to remember to thank those who helped us along the way. Isaac Newton once said that, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.” He didn’t say that “I am who I am because of what I’ve done.” He gave credit to those who have helped him when he was little. He knew the importance of saying thank you. So as we go out into the word, we have to fight for our passion, be elegant through it all, and remember who got us there in the first place.

• Kennedi Breuklander

During Marnie Taylor’s speech she focused heavily on the three Gs. I believe all three are important in their own ways. Grit focuses heavily on the work. You must put in hard work in order to see results. Although sometimes leadership comes naturally, no one becomes a leader effortlessly. In order to hold a position of leadership and respect, grit and hard work are key. Grit by definition means courage and resolve/ strength of character and I think this is a major part of leadership. As my own definition of leadership evolves I try to focus heavily on courage and bravery for that is something a leader must have along with confidence to have followers. The second of the three Gs, Grace is also a good quality to have as a leader. A huge role model in my life, former POTUS, Barack Obama is someone who I feel used grace very well in his leadership. The way he spoke, they way he presented himself, the way he carried through actions and dealt with issues, were all done with an enormous amount of grace and it made him very respectable. He was elegant, graceful, and calming in his approach which made many stressful situations more calming for the people who followed him and looked up to him, including myself, which is what I felt made him such a good leader. And lastly gratitude, which is extremely important in leadership. There are many times while in a leadership position you must ask for help from others. It is very difficult to accomplish a huge task on your own and teamwork is a big part of leadership. Gratitude comes in when it is all said and done and the task is finished. Being a leader is about realizing your position and role and thanking those who helped you get to where you are. Looking back on all the people who believed in you and never gave up. Gratitude is giving thanks and appreciation back to all of those people, and the people who help you continue on your path to success. With the three Gs Marnie Taylor spoke to us about, leadership roles become easier to achieve and they also help you become a more empathetic, graceful, and caring leader.

• Amanda Rebman

Incorporating the three “G’s” into my leadership development won’t necessarily be easy, but they will be helpful in the long run. Grit can be incorporated through finding a passion that I am willing to fight for and fighting for it. I cannot just think about whatever that passion may be, but I need to take literal action toward that goal. It will not always be easy to fight for my passion but I will use grit to persevere through the less promising times. Grace is a vital role in being a leader. You cannot be an effective leader if you never show grace to those you are leading. No one is perfect, so as a leader you must display grace when someone makes a mistake. Mistakes do not make them terrible, it simply makes them human so we must extend grace to those who follow us. Not only will we extend grace, but if we extend grace then it is more likely those that look to us will show us grace when we mess up. Gratitude shows that you care about those you are leading. Gratitude lets them know that they mean something to you and are not insignificant. Gratitude is one of the best ways leaders can show appreciation and everyone wants to feel appreciated so it is important to thank people on a consistent basis. These are just some ways that we can incorporate these principles in our leadership roles, but they can ultimately be displayed in a boundless amount of other ways.

• Angelique Jois Alog

I would use the three G’s, grit, grace, and gratitude, to give further meaning to my leadership experiences. I believe that with grit, I will feel more rewarded after I guide my members to success. With grace and gratitude, I will touch more lives along the way simply by being a positive presence among the crowd. Being a leader may be overwhelming, but it all becomes worth it at the end. The best thing to do is to make the most out of the everything you do and the three g’s is a way one can make they happen.

• Mikayla M Little

Marnie Taylor’s three G’s seem to be applicable to every portion of life. Speaking specifically to leadership, I think grit means finding your passion. She discussed how this can seem like finding your husband. Try things until something lights your fire. Grit is another word for determination which is fueled by the fire of passion. Grace is getting something you didn’t earn, and gratitude is about giving to others what they didn’t earn. Sharing your blessings and gracefully receiving blessings is huge. Like she said, “If you ain’t giving, you ain’t living”!

• Emily Norman

Grit, grace, and gratitude can be incorporated in leadership through hard work, compassion, and an appreciation of others. As a leader you must have grit, you must be dedicated to working hard even when times are tough and people can’t see your vision. You must have grace, you are not perfect and neither is anyone else, sometimes people will be trying their best and still mess up. It is up to you to show mercy and have grace. A leader must have gratitude. To be a leader you must have gratitude, when people are giving you their all, and do a good job for a great outcome, you must show appreciation and give credit and recognition where it is due. These three words are a great foundation for a leadership style based in love, faith, and strength.

• Emily Nelson

Grit means strength and character. I think that Grit is essential to getting where you want to be because things are not always easy! You have to be able to pick your self up when you hit roadblocks. Grace is to be humble. I personally believe that being humble is the difference between leading and being bossy. Gratitude goes right along with grace. It is being thankful for what you have and where you are in life is very grounding.This also means give credit where credit is due and always recognize others. I loved hearing her presentation and I loved how it really showed her heart for nonprofit work. I think it takes a special person to be passionate about nonprofits and I would love to use these 3 G’s in my life.

• Bianca Navarro

Grit will help me be able to find things I’m passionate about, things that will make me want to work all the time for. Grit shows you have a purpose you’re working towards, even if it gets hard, you persevere through it, because it’s something you really want. Having grace, will make me a better person in general, we will make mistakes and we need to be able to cut ourselves some slack over it. Gratitude is very important to have, you should be able to give back to the people in your life, job community, etc. Gratitude is what everyone will remember you by, giving (time, money, effort) from the bottom of your heart will make an impact. The three G’s will help in leadership because it shows you have a passion, you’re caring, and you’re not afraid to give grace wherever it’s needed.

• Cole Spradlin

I can implement the three G’s in leadership. The ways I can use grace is through understand the entire situation and to give others the benifit of the doubt. Grace will lead to less unneeded confrontation. Grit can be used through leading by example. If I display grit the people around me will see it and want to reflect it as well. Gratitude is highly important. If I display thankfulness to those I lead they will continue to want to follow my leadership.

• Erin Jones

I can incorporate these three things into my leadership style by finding my purpose in leadership and having perserverance. Through perseverance I will understand that everyone makes mistakes. With this being said I can grace not only to others but my self as well. Last but not least understanding that one day I will pass away and the people I mentor or follow me will review my calendar and see the great things I’ve done.

• Dayton Skeels

In my process of developing as a leader incorporating these three “G’s” is going to be very effective and make my learning process more enjoyable and more effective. I believe I already have strong grit and gratitude, however I could work on my grace aspect. I am a determined achiever when it comes to life and I sometimes lose the reason as to why I am doing something, because I get lost in the work. Working on my grace and really just taking a moment to step back and think of why I am doing something will also grow me as not only a leader but as a person.