Week 4 Blog- Lessons in Leadership – Dr. Raul Font

Dr. Font addressed traits of a great leader and the importance of continuing to ask questions while maintaining our individual strengths. Discuss which of the outlined trait(s) you aspire to develop and your perception(s) of how it may make you a more engaged leader in your current and future communities.

• Dr. Font claimed that good leadership is, first, about “finding who you are as a leader”, and I could not agree more. The only issue is I am not sure quite yet who I am as a leader, but I do know the type of leader I want to become. I want to be honest, confident, positive, and responsible. My top priority out of those traits is honesty. My father is one of the strongest leaders I know. He was a Pastor, a coach, a teacher, and a correctional officer. He has been in so many leadership positions, and he is the type of leader I want to be. He has always told me that the key to leadership is honesty and communication. I feel that I have the communication side down, but I want to work towards being the most honest I can be. Honesty would make me a better leader because it would, first, allow me to confront others on my team when things are going wrong, and, second, it would allow me to connect with the members of my teams by being honest and truthful about my weaknesses. The latter is the most important to me. Leaders do not always have to be strong. They have to be honest.

• Being a good listener is one trait that hit home for me, due to the fact that I have been known for being a good listener and someone people could go to for help throughout my life. I want to be recognized as someone people can trust and count on, and in order to do that I must maintain a healthy balance of mental traits like being a good listener to better myself and relationships with others.

• Cole Spradlin

Dr. Font talked about leadership being evolved or innate. I don’t think it is possible to really solve that question. You develop if you put anything into practice. On the other hand some can put in way more work to be a leader but others require less work to be at the same level of leadership. A clear line can’t be drawn but anyone can become a leader through innate skill or evolving.

• Angelique Jois Alog

Dr. Font expressed the importance of being aware of the kind of leader you personally are. For example, you can be one to delegate or one to stay behind to guarantee progress of your whole group. I personally am one with the “leaders eat last” mentality. Basically , as a leader, I try to guide my group to succeed on their tasks while doing my responsibilities in the mean time. I never want my group to feel like they’re left to figure out what to do alone. I make sure they feel worthy and important before I make corrections, if necessary. In my opinion, it is of great significance for my group to be confident in what they’re doing. All in all, as much as I enjoy seeing a great turn out, I appreciate progress just as much.

• Dr. Font was an amazing speaker, the way he spoke and the presence he brought was so enlightening and inspiring. It was very interesting hearing where he came from and how he got to where he was today. I particularly liked when he shared his story about having to handle situations that weren’t necessarily his fault but instead of running away from the issue and ignoring all responsibility he made it his problem and fixed the issue, I believe that is what a true leader is.

• Dr. Font was an amazing speaker! He is a living example that you cannot judge people by their leadship skills based on what they’re involved in. Sometimes if you take the time to care and show compassion to one person you can change their whole life. I hope that as I grow and develop as a leader, I can build on that character trait. He explained that anyone can be a leader, they just may not be leading the right thing. By allowing others to be in touch with their own skills, his leadership style also develops people’s lives outside of whatever position they may be in, and that is something that can impact the community greatly.

• Karlee Ogden

I think Dr. Font touched on some good points in his speech. As he mentioned when the speech began, he wanted us to leave with more questions than answers. One particularly interesting point he brought up was the question of, “Is leadership innate, or does it evolve?” Dr. Font said this statement has no meaning unless you can prove it. One statement Dr. Font said also matched what President Betz said a few weeks ago and that was that good leaders are good listeners. A particular strength I would like to improve upon would be confidence. Confidence is important in being a leader because people are only going to want to follow someone who is confident in what they are leading. I believe I have confidence in many areas, but sometimes I find myself second-guessing myself in others. If I would stop second-guessing myself and my abilities, it would help me develop more as a person and as a leader.

• Ren Jian Lee

A trait I aspire to develop in myself is communication. I desire to be able to bring my thoughts across to others in a way that is efficient and persuasive, as well as to receive input from others clearly and respectfully. This would make me a better leader in any situation I’m in, because not only will I be able to communicate to my team the directions I have for them, but I will also be able to listen well to the team’s suggestions. Having good communication is no doubt one of the keys to successful projects.

A question asked by Dr Font was whether leadership is innate or evolved. Although it may be near impossible to measure how much leadership ability a newborn baby has, I believe that people may be born into circumstances that encourage the growth of leadership ability. For example, a child born as the eldest sibling is likely to develop leadership when helping to take care of his/her younger siblings. This shows that leadership is evolved through experiences, regardless of whether a person was born with or without it.

• Sierra Munoz

I really enjoyed Dr. Raul Font’s message and it brought up some questions that I continue to think about. For example, is one born as a leader or does he or she evolve as one? If I had to choose, I would say yes. I believe everyone is born with an amount of leadership in them but some people never know it or tap into that power. When one finds that leadership inside them they will continue to evolve it throughout their life. By doing this, they can help others grow their leadership as well.

• Dr. Font’s no-nonsense, honest approach to leadership was not only inspiring, but eye opening. I’ve heard a lot of talks on leadership, but the truth he spoke about not only himself and his upbringing but about his hardships and challenges in being a leader were refreshing. You don’t often hear a leader talking about firing people on their team, or about taking responsibility for a mistake and only then moving on. Usually, everything is about growing and moving forward, which made Dr. Font’s speech all the more enlightening. I aspire to follow his approach in taking in problems and taking responsibility; dispensing action instead of just using it as an opportunity to grow. While I believe that every mishap, mistake, or misstep is just an opportunity to learn something new and build a better you, I think it is important to take a moment to address a problem and its consequences before moving on. I like to think that I’m responsible, but I want to get better at taking responsibility. I think that this will only help the process of learning from your mistake: if you can just sit for a moment, recognize what you did wrong or what went wrong in your group, and then to continue- not forgetting what happened, but remembering it so that it never happens again.

• Tianna Arreguin

One of the traits I aspire to develop is the trait of being a good listener. I enjoy talking, and I tend to express my own opinion before my peers get to express theirs. Listening to others’ opinions and taking into account how they feel, will assist me in figuring out how to express my opinion in order to be sensitive and respectful to those around me. Also, getting insight from my fellow peers will also help me evolve my thoughts. I may have an original thought, but getting the perspective from another side will help me build on top of the original idea. Being a leader in a community takes listening skills. Because of the key word: community. There may be an individual leader, but that leader should compromise everybody’s opinion and create a mutual consensus so the whole community can be satisfied. Overall, I want my opinion to be heard and I need to recognize that other people feel the same as me, so I need to be respectful and more engaged rather than focusing just on myself and how I feel.

• Yu Hsuan Lin

Dr. Font was an awesome speaker, told us what kinds of person we can be in the future, and gave us some goals to reference. The traits I aspire to train are confidence and communication. As I am an exchange student for Taiwan, and English is difficult for me that make me afraid of talking with each other. I know it is difficult to cross one step at the beginning. The successful method for me is to conquer it and let speaking English become a part of my life. When I walk out of my lovely country to find that I are insufficient. Some of my friends have their own special experience whatever traveling or studying history. They can have a topic to share their life. I also need to creative my own story in the Unite States.

• Yu Chien Wang

My top priority out of those traits is confidence. When I stand in the stage, I would have a terrible stage fright and without reason. Although I practice more before a presentation I still feel very nervous and uncomfortable. So I think I lack of confidence, and that why that is the top priority I aspire to develop and establish. I know if I want to be a leader, I need to conquer nervous and some negative thoughts. So if I overcome my problems, I can do much well than before, not only to me but also to the teamwork. It is definitely both win to us.

• Emily Norman

In Dr. Font’s address to the class, he spoke on the importance of being a listening leader. Listening is a skill I want to grow and develop as I work on my leadership skills throughout the year. As a leader it is not only important to listen to your followers, for they are the ones effected by every decision that you make, but it is also important to listen to other leaders. I think behind every great leader is other leaders. Incredible things are not accomplished by one person with one mind only using their ideas. Greatness is accomplished by the cooperation and consultation with others who lead differently than you. To me, that is the importance of listening, and I hope to become better at consulting and listening to others in my time here in leadership and at UCO.

• Katelynn Patton

In Dr. Font’s speech, he explained how there are many different leadership styles, and everyone has their own. I really liked how he told his story, and explained that he was not born a leader. I think this is very encouraging, because it means anyone can potentially become a leader, depending on how much he/she wants it. A leadership style that I would like to work on is “planning ahead.” The style I think I already have is “making my own paths,” and when I make my own paths, it is usually because I do not plan ahead. I am good at solving problems last second, but learning to plan ahead would be a good skill to work on because it would relieve stress and prevent procrastination. I think it is good to know how to make your own paths, but it is not good leadership to only follow your own paths. As Dr. Font explained, sometimes leaders lead, sometimes leaders follow.

• Lillian Baker

When Dr. Font came and spoke to us, he put a list of character qualities on the screen. Looking at those character qualities, one that I can personally work on is confidence. He talked about being willing to live with the decisions that we make, even if they are unpopular. I think this is important because so many times in leadership we are making decisions that effect a group of people, not just us. You have to be sure that the decision you are making is the best decision you could be making in the circumstances you are in. When people say that “confidence is key”, they really mean it. If you don’t believe in what you are doing or what you are presenting to those under you, then they won’t believe in it either. Without a belief in something, you have no direction of where to go. You have no end goal to reach for. So believe in others. Believe in what you are doing and why you are doing it. Believe in yourself. But whatever you do, believe in something. And maybe one day, that something may save your life.

• Rylie Smith

When looking at the traits of a good leader that Dr. Font explained within his presentation, I felt the characteristic that would be the most beneficial to my leadership development would be communication. This characteristic is very dependent on who you are working with, which tends to be challenging for a leader. I feel as though I could improve my leadership skills by developing discernment in how to approach my peers and through doing so, make an effort to learn about them and their personal style as a leader in order to accomplish whatever task is laid before us. Dr. Font also talked about the importance of accepting individual culture which to me means developing relationships with your peers and informing yourself about those around you so that you can find the best approach in communicating with individuals who may have different perspectives than your own.

• Caleb Williams

Dr. Font talked about many leadership traits, but one that stuck out to me was taking responsibility. Taking responsibility not only means stepping up to leadership roles, but also accepting when we making mistakes and doing our part to correct our mistakes. This is one aspect of leadership that I want to cultivate in my own life and leadership development. When mistakes are inevitably made, most people’s natural response is to find blame. In the example Dr. Font gave about having the blame put on him at the school for something he had no part of, he outlined taking responsibility. Instead of first finding out who was to blame and being upset, he first assessed the problem and asked what he could do to fix it. This is also essential to working well with a team, another leadership trait Dr. Font talked about. I really enjoyed Dr. Font’s presentation and appreciated the time he took to come and speak to us.

• Dayton Skeels

Dr. Font presented the leadership traits of communication,commitment, and sense of humor that I aspire to further develop. The leadership quality of communication is very important, because it allows for the foundation of planning,structure, and coordination. Communication is key when developing any type of relationship or leading a group of people. Commitment is the best way to gain the trust of your team and the people around you. Commitment shows your surroundings that you are willing to go above and beyond to accomplish or achieve anything for them. Finally, coordination is another leadership quality that is very important when leading. If you are uncoordinated no one will follow you. However with coordination comes the ability to understand that a leader has to know when to follow. Having coordination also allows for delegation which is important for knowing when to follow and allow someone else to lead. Growing on my qualities as a leader will allow me to grow other organizations, make a change, and leave my legacy.

• Lauren Hood

Dr. Font addressed traits of a great leader and the importance of continuing to ask questions while maintaining our individual strengths. Discuss which of the outlined trait(s) you aspire to develop and your perception(s) of how it may make you a more engaged leader in your current and future communities

Dr. Font was such a fun and engaging speaker as well as very relatable and honest with our class! I loved that! He talked about several incredible leadership traits- some of which I have but many that I want to grow in. I aspire to develop better all around greater creativity skills and the ability to delegate. I am very organized, but often that sense of strict structure hinders my creativity abilities. I am very responsible so that very often hinders my ability to delegate correctly and allow others to fail. I hate to see them fail so I am what Craig Groeshel calls a “rescuer”. I believe that developing these two leadership traits would make me a more engaged leader for a many reasons. I believe creativity is so very important for the cultural and interactive side of leadership. Our culture is always growing and changing. Because of this, I believe it is our job as leaders to stay culturally relevant and be able to engage with the people we lead on many different levels in age, ideology and innovative projects. I believe that growing in my delegation skills would make me a more engaged leader because I would learn to trust the people I work with on deeper levels and those I work with would also develop a greater confidence and responsibility in and for their tasks. Without me there to do it for them or rescue them, they would become a better leader and individual themselves. Developing these two skills would make me a more engaged leader with my peers now and those I lead and work with in my carreer in the future. When the leader gets better, everyone gets better.

• Rachel Walker

Dr. Font helped me realize how important it is to follow your passion and be the best you can. As a leader it is important to always portray yourself in a way that people feel comfortable around you, and that they can trust or rely on you if needed. Starting from the bottom and working your way up (as Dr. Font did) is way more difficult than starting at the top and having it easy. Having to grow and prove others wrong makes it so much more rewarding and I believe it makes you a stronger leader because you have had experience in both positions.
    A trait that I possess as a leader is that I am a good listener. I find this very important because when you work with a group of people it is important to make everyone feel included and hear what they have to say. Though a trait I would like to start developing on a deeper level is to have more confidence. I am sometimes terrified to take a lead role because I hate the feeling of failure. But after listening to Dr. Font I realized it is actually god to fail. Trial and error. It makes us human and we can learn from our mistakes. In the future I am going to push myself out of my comfort zone and try to run for a higher leadership position.
    Thank you for bringing Dr. Font in and having him speak to us.

• Jacob Thompson

My takeaway from Dr. Font’s lesson about developing leadership traits was:

What specific traits or skills do I have and how can I further develop them to become the kind of leader that I want to be?

One trait that really stuck out to me was “planner.” I am a person who plans and schedules anything from my personal schedule to social events. I like scheduling because it gives me an organized vision of how I’m going to accomplish certain tasks before a deadline.

I am a business management major so I feel that this trait will be very important in my future career as it will allow me to accomplish my work in an orderly fashion and it will help me meet deadlines. Also, it will be useful if I’m in charge of assigning work to a group of people as it will allow me to see all of those tasks coming together to form the finished product.

• Pin-Yu Tsai

Dr. Font was an amazing speaker! He shared his experience and told us have to find our own leadership style. One of the outlined traits I aspire to develop is communication. I think communication is the most important ability when you gather with people or being a leader in a team because you must express your vision clearly. As you have a good communication skill, you can get to know more about the people or your teammates, understand how to work with them, organize a team, achieve the goal as you planned, and deal with the works efficiently and successfully. Also, you can be a good listener because you can use your ability to help others and at that time it might show you have a good confidence. Therefore, I would like to develop my strengths woo and communication skills. If it develops very well, it can help me make a lot of friends and make the teamwork efficiently and successfully in the current and the future.

• Brook C Marshall

Dr. Font listed several traits a leader should develop, and while all of these traits are important two of them stood out to me. I believe that different leadership roles need to have different developed traits. For me, I want to focus on confidence and intuition. My career plans consist of becoming a dentist and eventually starting my own dental office. With these career plans in mind I want to develop the trait of confidence because I know I will be out of my comfort zone starting my own business, so I want to be confident in what I’m doing, but not be afraid to ask for help when I need it. Along those same lines I need the trait of intuition so I can make decisions even if I don’t know what the right answer is. Dr. Font asked a series of questions that were left unanswered, and I believe the more I develop my leadership skills the better I will be able to answer those questions.

• Taylor Powell

Dr. Font was a great speaker and I enjoyed listening to his story. I loved the confidence he had in himself. What I liked most about Dr. Fonts address to the class was the traits he presented of what is means to be a great leader. As a leader, I want to develop a better sense of confidence and communication. Confidence is something I have struggled with for a long time, but as I continue to grow as a leader I have found that I have more confidence in myself. I have struggled with communication for a long time. I am a quite person, but I am going to push myself to communicate more with my peers. I am grateful for the advice Dr. Font gave us to become a better leader!

• Dr. Font left me to question many things, including whether leadership is evolved or innate. If a person comes into this world a leader or is born to be
    one. After contemplating this I believe it is evolved for various reasons. Someone can be born with the tools and never live up to potential. It’s a complete roll of the dice and to say a person was born to be a leader is a stretch. You can be given expectations in a leadership role but will not have any growth until you better yourself. Out of all the leadership abilities Dr. named I strive In responsibility. I have three younger siblings and I want to be successful not only for myself but them. If my footsteps are wrong, I am leading them in a wrong direction because they look to me for guidance. Being an older brother has been a huge role throughout my life and I have tried to live honorably. No single person is perfect, everyone makes mistakes but as a leader you have to keep mindful that others are watching. Honesty has been something I pride myself on and is important in leadership to living a transparent life. My largest struggle which I would like to better myself on has been communication. At times I can be quick to anger and not very understanding. This is valuable in order to speak to others and maintain relationships. In a career you may be faced with a coworker or employer that disagrees with you. To improve on this aspect I will attempt to put myself in the other persons shoes and understand where they are coming from so that I can react positively. This doesn’t mean I will agree but I will respect and value the opinions of others. Thank you Dr. Font for coming to speak to the class, it was truly enlightening. There is always aspects of yourself to improve on and you have given me the steps to do it.

• One of the leadership traits I desire to obtain and would like to enhance is my ability to communicate and to stay positive. My communication skills are high, and I’m exceedingly friendly. However, when I am in a classroom or event I tend to be on the more quite side of things. I plan to use the confidence, as Raul suggested, as I use with my friends to push me towards being better at communicating with others. This will help me become a more well rounded leader throughout my work, social, and school life. In an effort to improve my optimism skills, I plan to smile and remove toxic comments I may here around me. This will improve not only my emotional status, but my leadership skills for a happy medical team when I transition to a Chiropractic degree and in my volunteer service I am doing now. Raul said a positive attitude is important in leadership situations. I hope to achieve that optimistic, powerful leadership role he painted in my mind.

• Tyren Chestnut

Dr. Font spoke on a few key elements every leader should exert during some point in time. The quality that stuck out to me the most is intuition. Dr. Font said “Be confident enough to know when you are wrong”. I’ve held a few leadership titles in the past, and when a problem arose I usually had to take a step back, evaluate the situation, and then come to a conclusion. I’d like to work on gaining more intuition so that when I have a problem I can quickly come to a decision. In the future when I have a problem I don’t want to have to take a long time to make a decision. I also need to accept when something doesn’t go as planned, and have the intuition to fix the problem.

• Megan Watkins

In Dr. Raul Font’s presentation about being a great leader, he discussed many traits that great leaders possess. Confidence is the one that really stood out to me. I believe confidence plays a major role in leadership positions because people do not want to follow someone that is unsure about where they are headed and leading others to as well. My goal is to become a nurse practitioner, but I cannot do that if I am not confident in my knowledge and training that is going to get me there. If I cannot be confident, neither can those who may be potential employers. Confidence though, is not all about being sure in my actions. Dr. Font mentioned that confidence is also being able to admit when you are wrong. Confidence is being able to stand up and admit that I am wrong and seek someone else’s opinion and advice. I believe that this is the ultimate test of a true leader, being able to put my pride aside and seek counsel. This not only applies to major leadership positions and jobs, but even classroom character and friendships.

• Catie Wilson

Dr. Font hit on multiple different leadership styles that are all effective but tend to be so in different settings. A few of these styles were communication, sink or swim, and ability to delegate. Throughout high school in student council officers would be assigned committees to plan events and we had to give each person in our committee a certain task to accomplish throughout the planning process. On the day of the event committee chairs would have to assign all the volunteers to set up specific areas of an event to prepare in the most efficient way. I feel that this style works most efficiently when you have a large group of people to be of assistance. A method that I use most often on my own is the sink or swim method. As often as I have found this ineffective for what I have used it for I know that with great risk sometimes comes great reward. Dr. Font explained the weaknesses of never using this method and of people always waiting to take orders rather than taking responsibility. It is often a struggle to find a balance of the two but with time it is manageable to reach equilibrium.

• Graeme Morrison

Dr. Font’s presentation was really informative on finding your own leadership style and having to stand for yourself. I may not have agreed with all of the things he said, but I can really stand behind the message of finding your individual style of leadership and continuing to develop it as you grow. The main trait that I want to focus on in my career as a leader is “being a trailblazer”. I am the first in my family to pursue a degree in the arts, which may not sound like much. However, my family is full of athletic and sports-oriented people. My dad was an all-state football player and my brother an all-state basketball player. i had to learn to create my own path very early. This skill is something I think can help me a lot and it relates back to Dr. Font’s presentation perfectly. I have to find my own path to becoming a leader; what better way to be individual than to take the road not traveled? Yes, I might fail every once in awhile, but failure means growth and every opportunity is an opportunity to grow.

• Emelia Denham

Dr. Font talked about figuring out who you are as a leader and how it is important to find your role. He challenged us with the question, “is leadership innate, or does it evolve?” I believe that it evolves through character and that is one reason it is important to find your strengths in leadership. Dr. Font put a list describing the traits of a leader on the screen and one trait shown that I would like to work on is communication. I would like to strengthen my ability to talk easily to anyone in large crowds and not be afraid to fail. This may make me more of an engaged leader by encouraging me to make people feel welcomed and to let them know they are important and worth talking to. In addition, it would show people it is okay to take chances and take yourself out of your own bubble/comfort zone.

• Joshua Layton

I’ve always thought myself to be a leader. This isn’t because I’m good at giving directions, or good at banding people together, or even that amazing at speaking up. I think I am a leader because everyone has a leader in them, we simply must unlock it. Listening to Dr. Raul Font made me realize the traits that I possessed that lacked strength behind them. One trait I saw in myself, for instance, was creativity; but if I lacked the confidence and communication to express it, no one would ever even hear the idea. I think if I can strengthen my confidence and communication, I can make the leader in me stronger. By allowing myself to speak my mind to others while still maintaining my current traits, I can contribute my ideas, and add to the pool of options for the group to pull from. I think through this I can better strengthen the groups I work with, and the people around me by contributing my thoughts to better my community and world.

• Hsiang-Chin Hsu

Dr. Font outlined ten traits of a great leader. All of them are very important. If a leader has those characters, I think he or she will be a successful leader. One of them I aspire to develop is “Ability to delegate”. If I has this ability, I can easily delegate the work to the team members by their strengths. And I know the strengths and weaknesses of the team, I can lead the team accurately. I want to develop this skill; Therefore, I should know more people and find their characters. From now, I think I should be more extrovertive to know other people deeply to find my best team member in the future.

• Garrett Gunn

Dr. Font talked about numerous leadership traits that are equally important, but the two that stuck with me was confidence and being a good listener. I want to pursue a career as a stock broker. Being able to depict what the market will do is a very tough thing to do, but I will need to be able to make quick decisions and live with the decisions even if they turned out badly. Also, I will seek to learn as much information as possible from veterans in the field. I will need to be able to take constructive criticism and be comfortable with change, because the way I am doing something may not be the most efficient way. By perfecting these traits, I think it will bring me success not only in my field but also in everyday life.

• Sini Noronen

I aspire to develop the ability to delegate. I sometimes find myself doing everything by myself, maybe because I don’t have the courage to actually delegate and be the “boss”. I also feel that I’m often too hard on myself that I don’t take enough credit from my work, which would boost my confidence. Dr. Font mentioned you don’t want to be surrounded with people who think like you because different people will challenge you. It is easier to work as a team with people you know and are similar to you but we learn best outside of our comfort zone.

• Ethan Bruegel

Creativity has always been one of my strong suits, and like the five strengths I will continue to pursue this quality. At my core, I always think of new ideas or plans, so creativity comes naturally. What I struggle with is my voice getting heard. Often I question myself on if I really am a leader, and Dr. Font made me think about this even more when he said, “When to lead or when to Follow?” Back in the day, I only worked in the background as a follower, but I realized that I have a responsibility to make sure everyone in the room knows what I’m thinking of whether it be a good or bad idea. When I first started the leadership program at retreat, I felt myself getting covered up again, and I didn’t do anything to fix that. I recently forced myself into a large leadership position as West Hall Council President to ensure my creativity gets heard. So far I have been received well by the council with my many ideas, but I still have a ways to go as a leader. When I stated my leadership position at the most recent class, and everyone turned around with a confused and doubtful expression it made me ask another question, “Am I really perceived as a leader?” Like Dr. Font, I will continue to ask myself these questions to fuel my growth as a leader.

• Linus Hodges

Dr. Font emphasized how each individual has a unique leadership style and he gave examples of his experience as a principle for multiple institutions. Dr. Font’s leadership style consists of a democratic approach with a focus on individual responsible carried by all faculty members. Dr. Font is able to communicate effectively with all individuals within the institutions he has led or currently leads.
    I desire to focus on my communication skills to enhance my ability to connect with individuals in my community. I tend to shy away from people and assist on the sidelines when help is required. With the ability to communicate with my peers, I will have better opportunities for networking and project productivity. The benefit of communication from a leadership perspective is that my colleagues will be able to understand my ideas and be able to give proper feedback. Another benefit of having developed communication skills is that my colleagues will be able to approach me without hesitance.

• Maya Weese

Dr. Font explained that there are many different approaches to leadership, and that each leader is an individual with their own strengths and weaknesses. He spoke about a number of important leadership qualities, with each a reasoning. Commitment is a large part of making decisions as a leader, but it is also necessary to take input from others. It can be a struggle to find a healthy balance between the two. This is something I would like to improve, myself.

• Linus Hodges

Dr. Font emphasized how each individual has a unique leadership style and he gave examples of his experience as a principal for multiple educational institutions. Dr. Font’s leadership style consists of a democratic approach with a focus on individual responsible carried by all faculty members to increase productivity. Dr. Font is able to communicate effectively to his colleagues within the institutions he has led or currently leads. Without communication, the quality of the work being done as well as productivity in the work environment would suffer tremendously.

• jjohnson217

Dr. Font left us with a lot of open roads. He asked a lot of questions that had no answers. He said he wanted us to think about the things he said and make our own path to leadership. One thing he did put in our face was his ten traits of a leader. The one I believe I need to work on the most is honesty. I have always been the type of person that does not hurt anyone else’s feelings. I feel like I am constantly walking on egg shells instead of being truthful and assertive. I think this trait would help me take command in a leadership position instead of defaulting to someone else or my goal being compromised by my lack of truthful communication. It is also important for me to be honest with myself. I should not tell myself to do something later when I can get it done in the moment, or lose sight of my priorities. It is important that I stay focused and truthful so that I can reach my goals and help others reach theirs.

• Han Seth Lu

I think I’m a kind of person like “sink or swim” type. Sometimes this seems to be off and risky but this is the frequent technique I used to learn something or to overcome a new challenges. The benefit of this is that I become more fearless to face the new unfamiliar challenges. Because I believe there is only two things that is a consequence. Either I learn or I win.

• Melanie Holcomb

This weeks speaker was extremely interesting to listen to. Dr. Font spoke about different leadership styles, traits, and theories. It was wonderful to listen to the exert of his origin story and his climb to where he is today. In his story, he mentioned that one of his motivations to strive for greatness was to prove people wrong. I relate to this on a personal note because I love to do things out of spite. Proving people wrong is one of my strong ambitions in life. However, to fulfill my aspiration I need more confidence. I lack the ability to speak up in large groups and that is an issue. I need to be able to express myself confidently or nothing I say will ever be heard. Being heard is one of the most important parts of being a leader and that trait is a vital part of leadership.

• Mikkail Bishop

In Dr. Fonts lecture he was speaking about the different types of traits and characteristics it takes to be a leader. The one that stood out to me the most was being a good listener. People should aspire to be a better listener to anyone that needs a confidant. This means to hear out those in need or to hear advice from others. Being able to hear out other people about their opinions can really improve your abilities as a leader.

• Lauren Beck

In various everyday situations, it becomes apparent that there are multiple leadership traits needed to adhere to. However, Dr. Font discussed the idea that you should not try to bring your lesser traits up to par with those other leadership traits you are already good at. Improve what you are best at because each person is a different leader. One outlined leadership skill that stuck out to me involved taking responsibility. Every day, every person makes a mistake – no matter how small, we must take responsibility. With that, we can either fix it or live with it. Choosing to work on the dent and perhaps straightening it back out, can help build a much steadier foundation for other leadership attributes. It is obvious, however, that not each person has the capability to own up to each leadership trait.
    Due to this leadership difference between peers, adults and students, it I vital to be able to accept that no one is the perfect leader. One person’s leadership may be perfect for one situation, but it may be the worst type for another. Dr. Font spoke about how leadership is practically a never-ending question. Constantly ask yourself, what type of leader am I today? What type of leader am I going to be tomorrow?

• Kyle Tangco

What I greatly admire from Dr. Font are his principles on being a leader who is not afraid to take chances and overcome odds that require vast hours of hard work and determination. Though I am an individual who has the strength to be restorative, tending to enthusiastically find solutions to problems, there are challenges that I can not solve at my own will. And that is fine, because being able to succeed in the long run not only requires your investment to work hard, but also demands the need to find mentors and peers who can build you up in your strengths

I currently work in the restaurant industry, a field that requires amounts of adaptation and problem solving to deliver the best satisfaction for customers. I specifically serve as a lead host, seating tables and assigning them to waiters/waitresses. I even have to guide others hosts in my team and tell them what party needs to be sat and what tasks need to be prioritized, such as busing tables or running food to customers. It’s great to have the chance to direct people on my team and tell what needs to be done, but sometimes I feel that being a lead member of a team is more than just giving commands. It bothers me when I see some of my co-workers do their jobs their own way, but I began to realize that their own way is a strength that fuels their mentality as a leader. So I have been learning to make sure that I don’t act as the uptight by-the-book senior host, but as another member who wants to observe what makes their co-workers give out their best performance, with the exception of seeing them sloppily doing their assigned job or hearing them complain. At times when there is a disconnect with a another host, I have to consult my manager on how to work well with my team and customers. And to this day, I still have to talk to him because there will always be new situations for me to encounter, especially now that the restaurant I’m working in is currently expanding in size, following with new hosts to train.

When you get nominated to a lead or senior position, you get this sense of pride convincing you that your team has to do things your way. But true leadership comes in the form of a common vision, and being able to work together to build each other’s weaknesses as well as emphasize each other’s gifts. As for my restorative abilities, I try to make sure to imply other people’s ideas to solve problems, rather than handling the situation myself and telling others to accomplish a task my way.

• Mikayla M Little

I enjoyed Dr. Font’s speech on Tuesday! As a leader, I am working to learn how to take full responsibility for the things under my delegation. Something I have taken notice to is that when something goes wrong, it is sometimes easy to place the blame on those under me. But, at times it is also easy to take too much responsibility when put in a leadership position. I liked what Font said about how mistakes don’t happen twice. It is true that when a mistake is made, and it is known as a mistake, it should not happen again. If you know it is a mistake, by taking responsibility, you must work to fix the issue so that it may never happen again.

• One of Dr. Fronts traits that he told us was to be honest. What he meant about being honest is how to be open with your companions and whoever you are working with. Being open in a work zone will be helpful in resolving issues in the work area or even to get the work done the right way.

• Chloe McKinney

As I reviewed the traits Dr. Font discussed in his presentation, the one that I thought would be most beneficial for me to develop is communication. Communication is essential to being a good leader, and is a skill I could definitely enhance. A successful leader will be able to express their thoughts and goals effectively. I feel like successful communication differs depending on who the communication is with. Learning new and different ways to communicate, as well as being versatile, would improve my ability to lead in the community at UCO, and also in the future.

• Bianca Navarro

A particular trait I would like to develop would be confidence. I have struggled with confidence in the past, but surrounding myself with positive people helps with that. I am a fairly small person, so giving directions to older people has always been a joke. I am a strong believer that confidence will give you the respect from peers in the work place. Giving direction to people older than you is something that will happen one day, and as a leader, having confidence is going to help you.

• Madison Lance

In Dr. Font’s speech, he discussed that there are many different ways to be a leader. The way I aspire to lead is most likely different from others. I hope to enhance my strengths of communication, confidence, the ability to delegate and also helping others to grow, develop and succeed.
    By working on these traits while studying at The University of Central Oklahoma, I aspire to express them to my fullest potential by the time I graduate and go into my career field. These enhanced leadership qualities will allow me to be a more engaged leader in my community.

• Hilda Estrada

Dr. Raul Font shared many leadership traits. I aspire to develop confidence. Confidence will make me a more engaged leader because it will show out to others causing trust to be built. Dr. Font influenced the true meaning of leadership, sharing our own leadership with others so they can have motivation to become leaders as well. Selfishness is very prominent in leadership, negative leadership does exist, as Dr. Font pointed out. Leadership is not an easy role, it has obstacles and challenging, but never impossible as long as I have an appropriate goal in mind towards my leadership and how it may benefit my community who is in need.

• Emily Nelson

I really enjoyed Dr. Font’s presentation. I thought It was amazing to hear for where he has been and what he made of himself. He focused on the characteristics that made a great leader. I want to develop all of them, of course. Even if you don’t use these to be a leader, I believe these characteristics make you a well-rounded person. However, As a leader, I want to focus on communication and positive attitude. I believe that communication is the glue that holds an organization together. It makes sure that people know exactly what is expected of them and it plays a big part in the encouragement of others.I also believe that your attitude can form your fate. So I want to work on maintaining a positive attitude and spreading positivity where ever I go!

• Amanda Rebman

The main trait that I would like to develop is confidence. Confidence is key in making any decision. People will follow those who are confident in their beliefs, even if they do not align completely. However, confidence is not simply about knowing exactly what to do or what to say. Confidence is knowing when to ask for help. No one can be an expert in every aspect of life. Some people are genuinely stronger in aspects that you are weaker in. It is key to know when to ask for help. This will allow you to be an overall better leader. You will be able to succeed more often because you are not simply relying on your own knowledge or strengths. Everyone has something unique to offer, so let them help you be a better leader. There is no shame in asking for help. Be confident in your ability to seek assistance. The community that you are helping will be more positively affected if you ask for help than if you simply attempt to handle everything on your own and end up making a disaster out of things. The community does not want to see you fail, so allow them to help you. This will also enable them to get to know you better which is even more beneficial in the long run.

• Kenzie Taylor

As soon as he began to speak, I knew that Dr. Font was not only a respectible leader, he was also one of us. His story to reaching his potential is insperational, passionate, and one that isn’t seen very often. A kid coming from the streets to becoming an amazing leader with high education under his belt, this was something I commend him for. It was an honor to hear him speak and hear his story. He truly is a one in a million leader.

• Jake Seawright

One of the traits discussed that I would like to develop would be communication. I believe that this is a very important trait to have in the workplace. Without this trait the workers will have no idea what you are trying to convey or do. There may be a certain way that something needs to be done and this cannot be achieved without communication.

One of the other strengths I would like to develop is confidence. I believe you must have confidence to be a good leader. If you are not confident in what you are doing, than how are the people you are leading supposed to feel confident?

• Madelynn Dancer

The outlined trait I aspire to better develop is the positive attitude trait. Personally, I believe this trait would make me a more engaged leader in every aspect of my life, whether that is in my family, community, future community, or future career. A positive attitude creates positive thinking, optimism, creative thinking, and an attitude of happiness. Being positive will help me become a more engaged leader by helping me move past obstacles to reach new opportunities for success. Also, positivity creates productivity. For example, if I am leading a group project, my group will accomplish more if I lead them with a happy creative attitude. People do not want to follow a pessimistic leader who will simply give up when plans do not go his or her way. A leader’s attitude is contagious! No matter what leadership role I find myself in, being positive will help me to better connect with and lead others. I cannot express my appreciation to Dr.Font enough for speaking to us about such an impacting subject.

• Austin Loard

Dr. Font spoke about the different traits of a leader and asked us to consider if one was born a leader or evolved into a leader. I believe it is a combination of the two. I believe each of us are born with at least some of the traits of leadership and it depends on how these traits are used and whether one works to strengthen the traits one has and works to develop others that ultimately determines how effective one will be as a leader.
    I believe confidence is an essential trait of a leader. People do not choose to follow someone who does not appear confident in themselves. If one is born with confidence, then it is important to cultivate this trait but also be careful to temper confidence so that it does not appear to be arrogance. It has been my experience that people do not choose to associate with persons who appear arrogant. If someone is not born with confidence, then it is important to develop it through hard work and determination. The best way to develop confidence is in being involved in new activities that force one to “get out of their comfort zone.”

• Morgan Tarpley

Dr. Raul talked about leadership and how to function your leadership style in different situations. Personally, I liked how he used an example of difficult people who don’t work well in your type of leadership style. It was a solid point because as leaders we need to be able to step back and look at how we are affecting each individual. For instance, sometimes our leadership style has to alter for certain people to succeed. Our personalized leadership style is something that works well for us but sometimes we have to challenge ourselves into something uncomfortable to help other succeed.

• Maritza DeLoera

Some of the outlined traits that Dr. Font discussed were confidence, honesty, and being able to communicate. These three traits are what I aspire to strongly develop because these are vital traits that revolve around being a good leader. Having confidence usually means that a leader is willing to step out of their comfort zone regardless of the circumstance. I feel as if I am confident, but not confident enough to step out of my comfort zone. Developing a stronger sense of confidence would help my leadership position because I would not shy away from opportunities that could potentially better my community. Honesty should be the vital component in a good leader because it reflects your virtuous standards. Honesty is a trait that I value, but I feel as if I’m not honest with myself. This is something I lack because it’s hard. Having this trait is significant in showing your community and peers of the truth you have to say and without being afraid to say it because it’s not popular. Communication is a trait that is needed in being a good leader because you have to be able to effectively voice to your community and peers or else there could be a misunderstanding which could result in a barrier. This is a trait I aspire to be more confident in because it would maintain a healthy balance with my community and peers. Dr. Font discussed that you must be a benevolent leader with a direction, and I feel as if these three traits strongly tie together to establish that.

• Reagan Whitlock

I really liked being able to hear what Dr. Font had to say. He talked about the importance of knowing who you are as a leader and that is something I think each of us is striving for. I am not sure what leader I exactly am yet but I plan to keep striving to be a strong, confident, responsible leader. Confidence is something I am really going to focus on. Often I doubt myself when it comes to certain things and I worry what others will think of my performance. When in all honesty I need to just believe in myself and know that I’m a powerful, capable leader. I am also so hard on myself and need to realize its okay if things don’t always go as planned, but also to give myself credit for my achievements. I’d also like to develop the ability to delegate, I often take on so much not truly delegating responsibilities to my teammates. I need to not be so afraid to be the boss and step in to that role to ensure that together we are achieving our goals. It can be difficult analyzing these things about yourself and then setting out to improve and grow these abilities, but I am ready for the challenge so that I may become a more well rounded leader.

• Dr. Font discussed the importance of confidence in leadership, which is definitely something I need to work on. I have always struggled with my confidence, and it has inevitably effected my leadership abilities. Outwardly, I can appear confident, in that I will stand up for myself and my values, but inwardly I am very critical of myself and my decisions, and I have a tendency to overanalyze every single possible outcome and “what if…” which severely influences my decisions as a leader.

• Nicole Bergstrasser

No two leaders are the same, as Dr. Font had mentioned; everyone has their own style of leadership, and there is no use stealing someone else’s style. My leading style is very hands on and engaged; I like to come up with the ideas and being the first to speak. However, when it comes to delegating how that is going to happen, It takes longer for me to be as quick with ideas. Delegation is vital as leader; you have to know how the members of your team operate, and where their strengths can be uttilised

• Frist, I would like to point out how much I enjoyed the speaking style of Dr. Font. This is because instead of just throwing information at his audience, he would put his information into a question which caused the listener to start to develop his or her own idea about the topic, and I thought that was just awesome. With this being said, Dr. Font made a lot of good point in his speech he game to us on Tuesday, but there was one thing that he said that really grabbed my attention more than anything else. My favorite question he asked was if leadership was a quality that a person is born with or if leadership is a quality that must be developed. Personally, I believe that any one person has the ability to display leadership qualities. With that being said, I also believe that the situation(s) a person is born into plays the biggest role in if a person will begin to show leadership characteristics. A perfect example for my theory is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He was an excellent public speaker and an excellent leader and I believe that a lot of his talents can be attributed to the situations that he was born into. With that said, I think that leadership, to an extent, is a characteristic that is developed through dedication, trials, and perseverance.

• Nicole Bergstrasser

No two leaders are the same, as Dr. Font had mentioned; everyone has their own style of leadership, and there is no use stealing someone else’s style. My leading style is very hands on and engaged; I like to come up with the ideas and being the first to speak. However, when it comes to delegating how that is going to happen, It takes longer for me to be as quick with ideas. Delegation is vital as leader; you have to know how the members of your team operate, and where their strengths can be utilized. This , is something I will continue to strengthen as a leader.

• Nicole Bergstrasser

No two leaders are the same, as Dr. Font had mentioned; everyone has their own style of leadership, and there is no use stealing someone else’s style. My leading style is very hands on and engaged; I like to come up with the ideas and be the first to speak. However, when it comes to delegating how that is going to happen, It takes longer for me to be as quick with ideas. Delegation is vital as leader; you have to know how the members of your team operate, and where their strengths can be utilized. This , is something I will continue to strengthen as a leader.

• Cole MacCollister

“Figure out who you are as a leader, don’t copy. Are you born as a leader? Can you prove it?” Dr. Font expressed how the type of leader you are depends on what type of leader you want to be. Personally, a trait that I want to improve is my trait of inclusion. I have a tendency to do everything myself without asking for help from anyone else. If I could improve this trait, I believe that I would see success in not only my endeavors, but the endeavors of those around me. Leadership is largely based on the decisions you make, and if I make a decision to include others then I will see a fantastic end result.

• Robia Charbonneau

Of the trait Dr. Font outlined, good listener is the one I aspire to develop. I think it is important to be a good listener because it keeps you engaged as a leader. There are many opinions in a team and a leader should stay alert to them and cater to the team’s needs. Furthermore, it is important to actively think, a good leader must listen and understand what is being said. There is no point in listening, if there is no understanding. I want to be a nurse and listening skills are crucial. I must be able to say engaged with the patients and listen to their needs.

• Casey Base

I thought it was very interesting how Dr. Font explained his childhood as being very different from most people. It is very impressive to see where he is today compared to what his life was like when he was growing up.

• Wanda Clark

When listening to Dr. Font speak, one thing that I noticed is that he truly has the skill of delegation down to a science. He believes that everyone has their own skills and abilities and should be allowed to show those traits. That is one skill he talked about that I wish to develop in myself, delegation. I have never been good at delegation. I was that kid in science class who did the whole project because they got mad if even the smallest thing was out of place. I want others to learn, but a small part of me would rather win that gain knowledge from new experiences so I strive to perfect everything, usually on my own. I know that this is a problem that I need to solve to be an effective leader, and it is one that I work on constantly. I strive to let others take the reigns where possible because I know that I am not the only one with skills or knowledge. Being able to delegate more will help me to better learn the strengths of those around me and will help me to not over reach while still trying to get a grasp on this new experience called college.

• Jarrod Barnett

Dr. Raul Font talked a lot about having to work in an environment that requires teamwork. Along with that he said as a leader he oversaw delegating responsibilities to others. I believe that although it may sound easy having the ability to delegate is a skill that must be developed and maintained. As a leader, I like to think of myself as a good worker also which is one of the few things that make delegating hard, I would like to do the work myself, but sometimes that isn’t the logical choice. He said “the hardest thing to do is nothing” which correlates with having to delegate, although you might not be doing nothing, having the ability to trust in someone to accomplish the task is an important skill. The ability to delegate falls in line with another one of the traits he mentioned which was communication, which is arguably one of the most important traits that any leader can have. I believe being able to delegate can make a difference in my future because it shows more of team culture which people are more likely to stand behind since the majority of people want to be involved if they have to help with a project.

• Curtis Diaz

I mostly want to hone my skill of confidence. I think that I have strong abilities in bringing people together and incorporating their ideas, However, I feel that sometimes once I need to make a decision I lack the confidence in myself to follow through, even if I have the support and loyalty of my team. I think that if I work on confidence, I will be a much more effective leader and delegator, because I will be able to make both my ideas and my team’s ideas known to others and executed effectively.

• Erin Jones

Dr. Font talked about 10 leadership traits all of which are equally important. Although three leadership styles represent how I would like to lead in the future sense of humor, confidence and creativity. With these three styles I will be confident in what I am saying and doing. Sense of humor will make sure the mode is light. Lastly Show more creativity with my ideas and motivating others.

• Kennedi Breuklander

Dr. Font’s speech was very important to me and I believe that after I left Constitution Hall, I came out a stronger leader than before. There were two points thats stuck with me. The first was not something he said really, but how he presented himself. He came in dressed rather nice and talking formally and educated. Research says the first 15 seconds are vital for first impressions, which is something I try to focus heavily on when I first meet people. The importance of this is that my first 15 seconds of Dr. Font was a well-educated, successful man. What surprised me though, was his background, and where he started. Just from looking at him and hearing him speak I wouldn’t guess he grew up with a lack of easy opportunity and “on the streets” like he had said. It was interesting for me to see and hear about a man who didn’t become just another statistic. A latino man who grew up, not necessarily on the “right” path and the accessible resources and still made it out extremely successful, even though his situation growing up didn’t set up that success. Another thing that he said lead him to this success is that all it took was one person. One person to look at him and decide he could do better, one person to hold him to a higher expectation, one person to believe in him. I think that aspect right there is very important as a leader. Although leadership is about team effort, there are some things that require that one person to stand up and want something different. Because for people like Dr. Font if that one person wasn’t there to believe in him, he may have not become the great leader he is today.

• Ethan Clark

One thing that Dr. Font said was, “the struggle of a leader is when to lead and when to follow,” and that is something that really stuck out to me. That is a major aspect for anyone that wants to be a successful leader, and something that everyone should aspire to perfect. Two of the leadership traits that Dr. Font talked about are creativity and communication. These traits are some that I hope to develop in the future because they are not some of my strongest and I believe that by working on them it will help me succeed throughout college and into my career.

• Lance Cooter

Thank you Dr. Font for taking time out of your busy schedule and to come and talk to us about what it takes to become a true leader. One trait that really stuck out to me was being organized. For me I have been trying to successful organize everything and make sure that I know where my stuff is at and what I have going on for the day. With me being a finance major organization is key so that I will know where everything is and that I can get my task done faster.

• Matthew Ecton

Mr. Font’s lecture was very inspiring to me personally. When I asked him what piece of advice he would give to himself as an 18 year old, he said he that it would be to listen and learn. While simple, this is such an important discipline that all of us could benefit from. By genuinely listening to others, we are able to collaborate and build something greater than we could by ourselves. We should also approach every day with a teachable attitude. My father always used to tell me, “A day you don’t learn anything is a day wasted”. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Dr. Font. Having grown up in the same city (Chicago) as him, yet having a completely different childhood as him was humbling. I hope I get the opportunity to hear Dr. Font speak again in the future.

• Bryan Becker

Dr. Font discussed how he came from nothing; how he should not have made it. I don’t have that same background but I aspire to have that type of work ethic. Compared to others around me I tend to usually be one of the harder workers, if I can continue to develop that trait I believe I can have the same level of success that Dr. Font discussed.

• Sarah Faust

It was interesting to hear Dr. Fort story and to hear were he started out in life compared to where he is now. He mentioned many leadership qualities that you should have. One of those traits was to have a positive attitude. Having a positive attitude will always help you especially when being a leader. Being a leader means staying positive and staying polite to all kinds of people you work with. You might be challenged with a difficult coworker but by staying positive and working together work will gets done. Even though it might be difficult Dr. Font said that “when you are challenged you do your best work”. Also by staying positive and being nice to people it will build relationships that will help with networking. In conclusion Dr. Font had a wonderful speech with quotes and points that encouraged me to keep searching for my leadership style and reenforced the fact that there are multiple leadership styles and we are still learning our personal leadership traits.

• Erika Jenkins

Our speaker this week, Dr. Paul, was an awesome individual. I’m glad to have gotten a chance to hear from him.
    One of my major flaws is knowing when to lead and when to follow. I’m a planner, yet I like the sink or Swim method, but im a good listener. Still, I generally stick to what I know, which makes it harder to follow. Developing a better sense of my place in different scenarios or phases would positively contribute to my future success as a leader.
    At times, we need to reach out to another or know better than to try taking over something foreign to us. It is hard to admit, but we don’t always know everything.

• Maddie Higdon

Dr. Font was inspiring to me because of how much he has matured and blossomed over the years! His leadership style is intimidating!! (in a good way) If he were my boss I would 100% be the best employee at all times because he is so respectable and holds his peers to a high standard. One thing he said really stuck with me… “The higher you go on the leadership scale, you can no longer look down and point fingers. You live with your decisions even if they aren’t ‘right’.” Learning from your mistakes and being able to admit when you are wrong is such an important, over looked aspect of leadership and i loved hearing Dr. Fonts’ perspective on it.

• Corgan Ketcher

I would like to further develop my trait of speaking publicly. I find it a challenge to speak to a large number of individuals that I do not know. When speaking about a topic that does not interest me I will have trouble keeping my voice in an unshaken fashion. While speaking about topics that interest me, I have a much easier time speaking because I am focused on the topic and not on the listeners. This would help me engage in my community and become involved in leadership positions in local organizations.