Week 14 – Lessons in Leadership – Lindy Ritz

Lindy discussed a number of relevant topics this week related to finding mentors, listening to your team/employees, being self aware and empowering those around you that possess abilities and skills that you do not. What points during her presentation did you find the most applicable to your leadership experience and development.

• Hannah Mette

Mentors are an extremely vital part of leadership and individual success. I have had multiple mentors throughout my life that I am incredibly thankful for. The first mentor that made a lasting impression was in Middle School. I had an older member of my church reach out to me and help me in a time when I really needed it. Middle School is filled with times of awkwardness and trying to find where you fit in. She helped me immensely to figure out how to stay true to who I was when I felt like my whole world was falling apart. Throughout High School, I had a mentor who was also my teacher and advisor. She constantly was pouring into me individually. She made me realize that a mentor is someone who invests in you, who will be honest about your skills and abilities and push you to be the best you can be. Now that I am in college, I have a mentor who is in the field I want to go into. This has been such an amazing opportunity for me to learn more about my future career, but also the importance of being able to lead no matter where you are.

• Charmaine Robinson

I liked the fact that Lindy was honest about her second guessing her qualifications; and with the help of good mentors they required her to raise the bar in the way she viewed herself. Most women can relate to this. We often shortchange ourselves thinking we have to know how to do every aspect of a job day one. I found myself thinking this way in the past; but my eyes are opening to going deeper understanding my potential and what I bring to the table as a leader. It’s about being confident in your strengths and working with people who possess strengths in your weak areas. Given the fact that her bachelor’s degree is in fashion merchandising and she eventually became a director was no easy feat. I’m always encouraged when I hear how skills transfer to other fields; allowing a person the ability to take their career in a totally different direction. That sums up my life right going from the telecommunications field into human resource management.

• Ri Hao Yong

For me encountering new people everyday helps in my leadership experience and development. People i meet everyday have different skill sets and abilities i can learn and acquire from them. They help me in communicating better with others, strengthen my confidence and positively impact my mind set so that i can gain new heights and grow stronger and taller in terms of intelligence and leadership. I think what Lindy said about mentors is what i needed the most as they could help me in progressing to higher stages and also helping me in realizing my true potential.

• Riley McKinney

The part I found most applicable was when she was saying to listen to your peers because they could be more knowledgable on something. I think in todays society everyone feels like they are right and no one could ever think of something greater than they can when that’s often times not the case. Your ways and ideas may work, but who’s to say that their idea is more efficient. Also, it could always be trial and error. If your idea doesn’t work, try their ways instead of being so concerned of getting the credit.

• Chang Ting Shuo

Good people who are around you that they can help and support you to make decision. And in a team work, if you are selected, you should prove yourself that you deserve it; you are worthy. Sometimes we thought that college may only can bring to us knowledge, but it can give us not only this. Further, it takes wisdom, vision, and courage which can help you to deal with communication problem and relationship between people. In fact, our ultimate goal is very simple: make our life easier. What does it mean? I think it means you do not need to pretend to you like someone or not, just being yourself. Another important thing is that leadership means people in which they deeply believe. And they want to be led by your authority; be willing to share. Simultaneously, you are supposed to show your respect to others. Stay hungry, because only when you feel hungry that you will put something into your body. Keep starving.

• I think listening to the team is very helpful with my leadership development, for the reason that being a leader is not just about his or her own idea. Mostly, brilliant ideas are from teammates’ discussions and their own ideas. Listening to them is to respect their ideas and encourage them to express themselves. If a leader keeps leading his or her team by his or her own decisions, it will make teammates think that their ideas are not valued and therefore they will be less active. In addition, being a leader needs a great deal of patience, especially when dealing with conflicts and listening teammates’ suggestions for improvement. Hence, listening to the team also means cultivation of patience. Last but not least, listen to the team also help leaders to be reflective to themselves. The team is like a mirror, which will reflect the way how the leader runs and manages it. If leaders can sit down and really pay attention to what teammates are saying, they can learn a lot from them and even make themselves to be a better person.

• Jillian Coats

During her presentation, Lindy Ritz briefed touched on how she had people in her life that pushed to seek new opportunities. She talked about how she never felt like a head-strong leader but instead found herself in leadership roles. In my own life, I often feel the same way in my own endeavors. However, she contributes a large part of her success to her friends and family that have given her that extra nudge to go beyond her comfort zone. As she and President Betz have both expressed in their presentations, it is crucial to surround yourself with good and encouraging people.

• Emily Holmes

During my high school career, it was very important to me to find mentors. I looked for these mentors in my home church, and I found them. One of my mentors in high school was my Sunday School teacher for two years, an older wise woman named Carol. She was and is always there for me and always nudged me in the right direction. Carol is the woman who I wrote my letter to in Thursday class. I could tell that she appreciated it and it was an encourgement and a good reminder to myself. I found it interesting that she talked about people who impacted her life and her role models in the aviation industry. It just reminded me of my role models back home and to find new mentors and role models here in Edmond at UCO.

• Destiny Henry

I really loved her appreciation for mentorship. In high school I read a book called, The Mentor and it spoke about the importance of always having and being one. A leader may have multiple mentors for different aspects of life therefore receiving wisdom from all walks of life. Leaders should also be a mentor to others paying the information forward. I have been fortunate in having mentors that are teachers, principles, and family members. My mentor teachers have pushed me to purse a career that would make me happy and not just for the money. Principles have taught me that I have the ability to lead large groups no matter how scary it can be. Lastly, family members have shown me that trusting others can be valuable. I hope that I am able to spread these teachings to all I meet just like Lindy did for us.

• Jasmine Stevenson

Overall, I found all of Lindy’s points applicable to leadership. The one that I that I have decided to currently work on for my own self is finding a mentor. I have several people in my life that mentor and aid me with different levels and aspects of leadership, but Lindy’s talk opened my eyes to how important it is to find someone to pour into you. As leaders, we are constantly giving and pouring out our energy to our followers and people that depend on us; we sometimes forget about ourselves and the importance of being poured into. Over the course of the semester I have realized the relevance and importance of mentorship especially when it comes to myself. I work so much better when there is someone there to life me up and encourage me through both the good and the bad.

• Cali Passerman

Something that Lindy said that I really loved was that it was totally okay that her mentors happened to be men. I feel like some women nowadays feel as if men can’t be there for you, they can’t care, and they can’t mentor you like a woman would; this mindset could be detrimental to your leadership development. It does not matter what gender someone is, all that matters is that they care about you and want you to be the best you. Currently, I am building my leadership skills at my church, and churches tend to be led mainly by men. Sometimes I feel as if men cannot sympathize with me as much as a woman could, and while that may be true in some aspects, in a professional setting, male mentors are just as good as female mentors! I loved that Lindy mentioned how she made he way up the ladder in her male-dominated position because sometimes I doubt my ability to lead big in my church since I am a woman. Not because I am not equal, just because it is not the norm.

• Emily T Womble

I enjoyed Ms. Ritz’s message from the moment she asked us when we realized we wanted to be leaders to the end, with her simile of leaders being like conductors of symphonies. Her message and stories about “earning your way”, being confident in yourself, and taking the high road were inspiring. Out of all her words of wisdom, however, I would say her message about staying focused on your present was most important. I have seen many a people become so caught up in their end goal, that they forget to watch the present, even myself. I feel as though it’s a message not often taught or brought up, and I appreciated that she mentioned it with such importance.

• McKenna Oathout

I found it very inspiring when she spoke about having a role model/mentor in your life that was the opposite sex. I have always been asked “who is someone you look up to?” and I always say a female, because I felt like that is who I am supposed to look up to. Then after Lindy Ritz spoke on Tuesday, it hit me that there is no rule stating women can only look up to women and men can only look up to men. Of course that is what is known to do, and I look up to plenty of amazing women. Although, being different can get you farther in life sometimes. She encouraged me to step back out of this box I have been in and to broaden my horizon with people i look up to.

• Lindsie Dortch

In class this week, Lindy Ritz mentioned how the word “Wisdom” comes from falling down and getting back up. This reminds me of my inability to play a lot of sports. For example, I consider myself a girly girl because the only sports I played growing up was cheerleading and track. However, I gotten a little better at the sport “volleyball” because I eventually got back up and started practicing. Although I am not all the way there with volleyball, I believe that with perseverance I will receive a much greater result.

• Caleb Robinson

A continuing theme throughout her presentation and story was that others continued to think she was capable of more than she was doing. This is something I can relate to. I always knew in school that I could get good grades and do well in sports, but I never really pushed myself. I didn’t fully understand my full potential. I can remember two specific mentors I had in soccer who told me I could be one of the best players on the team if I worked hard. At the time, I wasn’t even on varsity. But I believed them, and by my senior year, I had the privilege of being one of the captains of the team.
    English has always been a subject that came naturally to me. My junior year, my teacher really encouraged me to reach for more, to be better than it required to just get an A. The same thing happened my senior year. As a result, I started the daunting task of writing a novel, which has always been a dream of mine. Since then, I finished the first draft while attending my first semester at university!
    I tell these stories not to brag but to show the importance of people believing in you. I never would have excelled in soccer without Collin Spencer and Michael Ross. I never would have started my novel without Mrs. Lout or Mrs. Ayers.

• Yukihiro Hitomi

Lindy told the class that a great leader does not always succeed in their career. She said that it is how one deals with adversity that counts. People who has gone through hard days in their life can be a ideal leader. The ideal leader I think is, as she mentioned in her presentation, the leader who conduct a team standing up on dust. I would like to put this word in my mind for my development.

• Sarah Mattox

Two topics come to mind from Lindy’s speech that I could apply to my leadership development: believing I am an asset to whatever I strive to do and seeking out people who will give me meaningful feedback. The former could really help with my self image as a leader. I do not typically consider myself a leader. I struggle with feeling as though I let too many opportunities pass by without taking action. I think a little more confidence in my abilities would help me take a chance on opportunities that challenge me. The second topic mentioned could help me once I begin acting on those challenging opportunities. I think it is very important to have access to feedback that I know will be honest and constructive. That is how a person grows in any setting, not just leadership. However, as a person pursuing a leadership role, feedback from a mentor or colleague could be essential in how effective I am. There are so many things that could wrong by relying on myself, who, like Lindy mentioned, is inexperienced and lacks wisdom. I believe this is why Lindy mentioned mentorship so much.

• Fatimah Alshaaban

I found many points that applicable to our leadership experience and development during Lindy discussed. She started asking us many questions about how can we confident about our self to be as a leader and what should we do to develop our skills. She talked about her life and experience with the people and how she builded her skills to be as a leader. She mentioned that many people around her, trust her ability to make the different and believe in her so, that’s make her stronger and confident about her self and ability. She said if we are planning to be as a leader in future we have first trust our ability and be confident about what we are doing in our life, because people always watching us and judge us if we did not do the things in the right way. She also, talked about wisdom and how it is important for her and she said we are all have brain and ability with wisdom. During this presentation I learned how can I develop my skills in leadership. I also, learned how can I build my ability to make the people trust me and believe me, because if the people trust me that will support me to make the different and make my job easy.

• I could tell throughout Lindy Ritz career story that she had to overcome a lot of limiting beliefs to tap into her true powers as a leader.

I find that many of our youth are unaware of their strengths and I feel that it’s our responsibility as student leaders to plant the seed for growth within those who may be lost and unaware of themselves.

Something as simple as putting a self-improvement book in their hands or a link to a resource/tool that can provide insight into what is possible for them to accomplish and can set them on the path to leadership.

Ritz gave a great example of this when she mentioned the use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tool as an excellent grinding stone for sharpening your self-awareness and awareness of those around you.

This is of ULTRA importance, because if you don’t possess the skill of reading personalities, of reading people, then it makes coordinating an effective team or organization extremely difficult.

• The main point that resonated with me was when she said that wisdom comes from running into a wall and getting back up. Like many people in the world, my biggest fear is failure. Though every success story starts with failure, it is still something hard for me to accept. So in order for me to grow as a leader and as an individual, I need to learn how to accept my mistakes and move forward. I truly believe that having that ability to embrace our mistakes rather than mourn them, is the key to success and becoming a great leader.

• Myah Murphy

One thing that stood out to me specifically was one of the phrases she said at the beginning that was about the differences in leadership attitudes–the “I can do it” v. “Step aside, I know what I’m doing.” This sunk in with me because, unfortunately, I am guilty of the latter at times. I have a control problem so I think that is where it stems from but I know this is a weakness I can build on. Another thing Lindy mentioned was the idea of being intentional with what you do and giving a 100%. This has always been something that has meant a lot to me in my life. I know that if I am not being intentional with what I am doing, then I am not giving my all. It is also nice to have the small reminder every once in a while about what the “big picture” is. Many times, I get so caught up in the small details that I forget what my original intentions were in the first place. I believe a great leader is someone who can reel it in every so often to get a reality check on the situation. The last lesson I wanted to talk about is her phrase of “Okay, now we’re taking the high road” after every difficult or trying season or situation. This is not something many people choose to do, especially when there are personal feelings involved. It takes exceptional leadership skills to choose the attitude you are going to have when hurt feelings are involved. She had many more “pointers” that stood out to me, but these were the top picks. Even with these, I feel that I learned so much from them.

• Karrigan Kimball

Having a mentor in my opinion, is a key factor in becoming the best leader you have the potential to be. Everyone needs that one person, who they will hear in the back of their mind when it comes to making big, or little decisions in their life. Having the want to strive to be the best possible version of yourself, in order to make that person proud of you, automatically allows ones own sense of pride. Although I found all of Lindy’s points applicable to my own walk in leadership, the point that stuck out to me the most is whenever she discussed how she felt she was not capable of completing something of huge significance, and only allowed herself to feel as if she could accomplish things of lesser value. So often we don’t give ourselves enough credit, for the skills that we can bring to the table. It was inspiring to listen to her story, about how she overcame the adversity and saw herself the way that her peers and mentors did. In order to be great, I believe we must overcome lack of confidence, and know that we are good at what we do.

• Emily Acuna

Lindy Ritz spoke about the importance of finding mentors, listening to your team, and being self aware. I feel that all of these apply to me, because I strive to have a mentor. It is highly important to have someone who can push you in the right direction. It is like having your own personal cheerleader. Listening to my team and employees is something that I have always tried to do. I feel that in order to have a good team you everyone should be heard. People feel important when they are heard. Being self aware means knowing what you are capable of and what you are not capable of. This is something that I really strive to work on. I work to fin myself and figure out what I can and can’t do.

• Kira Douglas

Letting my teammates guide me into becoming a stronger leader, because sometimes they can see qualities in me that i have not found on my own yet. So listening and trusting in my teammates is something I took from her speech that I could use to better develop my leadership skills. Instead of always thinking that I know whats best for me and I cannot trust anyone to decide what is best for me. To not let myself try to control everything and let others take control when I know a task is not within my skill set. Being able to look up to others and still learn even when I am older.

• Austin Elliott

The point that i found most applicable is the point of being self aware and empowering those around you. I believe this can push people to be develop into great leaders. Allowing yourself to be self aware and smart about your actions will help put you in the right situations you want to be in. Empowering others helps people grow together and make get smarter as a society.

• Remington Dean

One topic Linda spoke about that seemed pertinent to me was having an open mind and not forgetting that those around you could have more knowledge than you on a subject. This is a vital piece of advice, especially in todays world. Many people always assume that they are right and everyone else is wrong, yet that isn’t always the case. These two topics are not only important for everyone to have, but they are also important characteristics that leaders need to have and utilize.

• Julie DeMauro

It took me back when Lindy said she second guessed not only herself but her abilities. I feel like when we look up to people, mentors or leaders we see them in some god like light. They are unable to do wrong and when they feel anything other than perfect we start to second guess them as well. It is at this point that I agree with her when she says that mentors are very important, in everyone’s lives. When we begin to doubt ourselves it is extremely important that we have someone next to us who truly understands not only who we are but the potential we have, a person who will continuously keep us focused on the end goal. While every needs a mentor I think becoming a mentor can be just as beneficial. Being a mentor allows you not only to help the person or people around you but as well as find your own way to personal growth. I take this into consideration every time I step into a leadership role but even more so when I encounter someone new.

• The most important point that Lindsay Ritz mentioned that I believe in helping me to develop good leadership is “to make sure to explore your abilities to do certain things that you think you cannot do.” Good leadership emerges when a leader knows herself or himself best. Therefore, without knowing my strengths or weaknesses, I will not be able to lead others effectively. By taking risks, sometimes, and trying different methods, I will have a chance of knowing what I am good at and what I need to improve. Another point is “to pay attention to your body language.” A good leader will be open to feedbacks. However, body languages are signals that give hints to others that I am not open to their suggestion or opinions. As a result, I will not be able to know others’ opinions about me and suggestions for what I can do to improve my leadership. Besides identifying my strengths and weaknesses, I also need to care about my people, encourage, and support them so my team can strive for success. These are the points that Lindsay Ritz listed that I think are important to make me a good leader.

• Mason Belcher

Lindy Ritz had some really good advice when it comes to finding mentors and listening. I believe those are the two most important things that she mentioned in her speech to us. Both of these relate directly to leadership. It’s very important to not only find mentors to help you through your journey, but also to be a mentor for other people as well. Another important aspect to leadership is listening. This is crucial in any leadership role to listen to the people you’re leading and to lead from within instead of just doing what you want to do.

• Sarah Tierney

After working at Starbucks for 3 years, I have learned that being able to coach someone without belittling them is a key point to working with others. Recognizing the person’s strengths and putting them in a position to succeed while also trying to challenge them. These are a few things that I have learned. But being respectful to people in the work environment is one of the biggest things that make your team successful. This means that when they do something without you asking or asking you say thank you in a way that they really understand that you mean. When they do something really awesome or see them improving on something that they have been working on, make sure that you notice that and say a nice comment. These are just a few small things that would help empower your employees.

• Zachary Canaday

Lindy Ritz discussed several ways to improve one’s leadership skills and how she has throughout the course of her lifetime. Lindy mentioned surrounding herself with mentors and peers that helped her pursue her career. She mentioned surrounding yourself with people with skills that you do not have. She also mentioned the ability to listen and learn from someone’s viewpoint. These two leadership points really applied to me. I have started to do that in my college career here at UCO. My public speaking skills were typically my weakest and they have improved by surrounding myself with people who have no problem with it. I also have learned to listen to others more attentively and offer my opinion in a respectable conversation.

• E'Lexus Merriweather

There is always that one person that you look up to in your life no matter if that mentor was a parent, coach, teacher, or just random person. Mentors are everywhere and they all teach us something. My mentor is my mother because she is a strong independent lady and she shows that you don’t always need someone to lean on. In the same sense though, through Dr. Ritz speech she said “signs of a great leader aren’t always successful; great leaders have been kicked down.” That is a very true statement because people wouldn’t know if things did or didn’t work if failure wasn’t in there somewhere. It’s like learning how to do anything. I wouldn’t know that a math problem was wrong if my teacher didn’t mark it and tell me it was wrong. If we never had failure in our lives we wouldn’t know how to succeed in something and make it better. My mother has messed up in some areas but she learned how to improve it and makes it better and that’s what I admire most about her. Leaders are down before they are up. That is how I plan to improve my life soon. No one of perfect, so if failures didn’t arise, no one would become better.

• Sylvia Cook

The thing that stood out to me the most about this speech was when she admitted that she had some doubt about her qualifications. I also liked when she told the class to listen to our peers because they could know more than your on the subject. this stood out to me because I think the people in my generation have to much pride to ask for help or they think they are right all the time. it is important to have feedback from the people around you. Feedback is how any person or project grows.

• I really appreciate Dr. Ritz ‘s idea that you should listen to your team. I think that is a point I should notice cause sometimes I am that kind of leader who think less of others’ ideas or advice. But actually, people in your team will have the ability you do not have and think of the aspects you have never touched before. So you should try to let them solve the problems and sometimes when you trap into a dilemma where you cannot find a solution, try to listen to your team and you may find a method to solve it. Besides, I think the most important thing that a leader should have is beng modest, so a leader should try to learn from his team.

• I believe that we all have someone in our life that will help guide us. Hearing Lindy speak about the importance of mentorship, made me realize that I need a mentor in college. The first time that I had a mentor was when I was in high school. This person was not only one of my past teachers, but also the adviser for the student government. I was able to make a connection with her, and I believe that she helped lead me to where I am now. In college, I have realized that I can have more then one mentor. I believe that I have found two people who will help guide me in the right direction. These people will help me grown not only as a leader, but also as a person.

• dylan stottmann

One thing that I found most relevant about Lindy Ritz presentation would have to be the importance of having a mentor. I personally have experienced this right inside my own home. My dad has been and always will be my biggest mentor. He has taught me everything I know about mechanics and cars in general. He has taken so much time and patience to nurture me an my ability to work and build cars and i would not be where i am at today without him. He has given me the ability to be self sufficient and knowledable on so many things. He has taught me how to be a respectful man and how to treate others kindly. He has taught me by word and by example. He has given me the most powerful set of tools i have wich is the ability to be a strong and confident young man who can treat everyone with the respect they diserve.

• Amanda Goh

Lindy mentioned that we should first listen to the people around us who care and that they won’t push us towards the wrong direction. I found it interesting that she said that because I can really relate to it. Sometimes we are too stubborn to listen to others, and we only trust ourselves. We need to change that and be more open to people’s opinions, especially those close to us. This is applicable to my leadership experience and development because I need to learn from others before I act. What I know is not always the only way. Also, if my friends did not encourage me to run for a position in my Junior year, I would not have. Because of their support, I was able to become the secretary of my Junior Executive Committee and later the administrative assistant of Student Council.

• Kaylee Neff

I loved what Lindy Ritz spoke about her past experiences in her work career and I could really relate to her point of view. I have always like I didn’t deserve a leadership in past experiences in my life and always had a lot of doubt but like her, I have had mentors shape me into a positive leader today. One lesson of leadership I learned from Lindy is to really have adaptability in all areas in my life whether it is work or my personal life. She went into a career in which she knew nothing about but seemed to fly up the ranks in her career field. In order for me to be a successful leader in my professional, General Manager of a golf resort. I need to know the insides and outs of each section of the golf facility to properly run the resort and appreciate every employee’s hard work.

• Cayce Batcheller

A hard lesson I’m learning on my path to being a successful leader is learning how to be a follower. At my job, I am one of the newest workers there. My coworkers have seniority and experience over me, since they are older and have worked there longer than I have. Administration has a tendency to choose my coworkers over me for tasks and other things, and sometimes it’s hard for me to step back and allow others to do the fun stuff. Coming from high school, I was accustomed to being in charge, and the one with seniority. Learning my new role is tough some days, but I’m happy to have the new learning experience. Lindy hit the nail right on the head with what I’ve been feeling. She is telling me to step back and allow others to use their strengths that I do not possess. This is what I will work on at work, at school, and in my daily life.

• Lindsey Lance

When Lindy discussed having a mentor it made me realize how important they really are. Mentors lead and guide you through tough challenges and even everyday life. They give you something to reach for whether that is a goal or challenge, and they always are there for advice. Mentors are usually someone older than us so that means that they have already faced situations that we have not and that is why they can be so helpful at any given time. Finding a mentor is beneficial especially when it comes to leadership qualities. Finding a mentor that has great leadership qualities can help anyone out because they are more than likely going to have different leadership traits and with that being said they can learn different and new leadership traits to better themselves as a leader.

• Mackenzie Black

Listening sounds like such an easy thing to execute, but it is actively listening that is difficult. You have to take others opinions into mind and that can be a very humbling thing to do. Sometimes your pride is hard to swallow, but at the end of the day you know you did the right thing. I find myself just going through the motions often, instead of stating my opinion or even simply shaking my head yes when i definitely disagree. I think there is a healthy balance with confrontations, and leadership can potentially can have many confrontations, but it is up to you to make the confrontation a healthy one.

• Lauren Walked

The part that I found most applicable was when Lindy told us to listen to your peers. We always seem to think that it’s our way or not at all because we think that our way is automatically correct. Most of the time we cannot see past our own ideas, we can’t see how anyone else could have a better way of doing things than your own idea. Not only may our peers have a better way of doing things, our peers might actually be able to teach us something effective. Our peers most likely know more than what we give them credit for and in all reality they could actually shape us into who we are meant to be.

• Ben Raulston

While listening to Mrs. Ritz I thought it interesting of her to have started off thinking of one career path and ending up in a totally different one. That’s something I think it is important to understand that even if you think that you know what your future is going to hold it is important to not be narrow minded and to keep all of your doors wide open. An opportunity cold easily surface that if taken could lead to great things in a persons leadership career. Listening to her talk about when that about that day when she had a choice to back away from her opportunity or to take it really made me realize to always keep my eyes open because a life changing opportunity could always be staring me in the face.

• Keats Calhoon

What stood out to me during her speech was that mentors repeatedly told her she was able to do more than what she thought she could, and pushed her to strive for more and not be complacent where she was. This is applicable to me because my father has always seen my potential and pushes me to be better than what I think I am, even today. He is a coach, a teacher, and for me a mentor. He has pushed me in athletics and school to achieve more than I thought I could. Even this year he is constantly pushing me to have confidence in more of my abilities, and that encourages me.

• Mario Figueroa

When referring to leadership, one quality that separates good leaders from the great, is his/her ability to delegate. During her presentation, Linda Ritz’s explained how important it is to empower others. This is something that I could relate to because in past experiences I have always been the person who likes to do everything myself because I am too controlling or like things done a certain way. I have witnessed the negatives of not delegating and have recently begun to work on improving this skill. Listening to the impact that Ms. Ritz has made from empowering others is one that I would like to witness through delegating. One lesson that I have learned that has helped me empower others is realizing that to be a great leader one does not need to be the one always shines, but instead be the person that gives others the tools necessary for them to shine and develop.

• Victoria Plunkett

Lindy talked a lot about needing an extra push to exert yourself more. I think this applies to me very much because I am often worried about how people would view me if I took a large step toward my goals that was outside my comfort zone. She talked about how it was an issue of humility, which I strongly agree with. I often do not find it is my place to step outside the box and just take an opportunity. This is truly one of my greatest weaknesses, and Lindy’s speech gave me the confidence to realize that opportunity is not a lengthy visitor, and that I just need to go for it!

• Victoria Hodge

For me I would say the most important part to success is found in mentorship. No matter how hard you try it will all eventually come down to who you have in your corner to help you out when the time comes. I definitely think that for me personally it takes not only having a mentor but also becoming one. A personal goal I hold for myself is being able to help those under me and pay it forward. I personally know the impact that a mentor can have in others lives. I’ve been taught valuable skills both relating to academic and personal life lessons. It seems to be a common lesson that most of the speakers in our Lessons in Leadership series, including Lindy Ritz, have spoke about. It is all about having people who you can go to whether it be in times of need or times of celebration for accomplishments. I will forever cherish the people who are there for me and I will strive to become that person for others.

• Erin Drewke

One of the most notable examples Lindy gave in her presentation was about being a music instructor. The music is created by the compilation of various instruments each with their own sound. The orchestra conductor’s job is to manage the melody of the sound to lead the group to a uniform melody. She also illustrated that if the conductor were to take over one of the instruments, that their spot as conductor would be left empty and someone else had to fill it. This example had a lot of meaning to me. Although you may prefer to just take one job that you do best, being in a leadership position can provide a greater symphony than one person could make alone.

• dayseah boston

The statement I believe was most significant was when she said that we should listen to our peers. I think that is something most people don’t take into consideration because they think that their peers cant tell them something they don’t already know, not really knowing how wise and experienced they may be. Sometimes our peers can teach us something our elders cant. Because our elders have experienced things we may haven’t doesn’t mean we don’t know somethings they don’t. Listening to our peers can be profitable, sometimes it isn’t but its worth making an attempt because they may really be able to help for times to come.

• Jake Robertson

Mrs. Ritz spoke strongly about utilizing the guidance of a mentor. In my life I have gained several but the most constant mentor I have ever had is my dad. He has been there since the beginning and I know I can always count on him to extract my best effort. Whether it was applying for scholarships or trying my best in sports, he made sure I always trying my hardest to get ahead of the competition. He has continued developing me as a person throughout my life and I know he will continue to support and push me in all of my endeavors. A good leader definitely needs a good support system and luckily I was born with mine in hand.

• Kaitlyn Hickey

I think one of the points I found most valuable was her message of dreaming big. She talked about how when she did not succeed, she continued trying and dreaming. And when asked what job she wanted, she was told to dream bigger. This message is something that everyone needs to hear from time to time, especially people who are young leader who set examples for others. This can especially be useful when said to those who have skills that you do not. Empowering others to be their best is a powerful thing, and something every leader needs to know how to do. Dreaming big and knowing how to empower others to do the same will help everyone around them.

• Lindy talked alot about mentors and how some of hers even happened to be men. I really appreciated her openness about working in a nearly all men facility and how it was not a bad thing. Now a days women are looked down upon by other women for saying that they look up to me. I believe that mentors are every gender and every age, to have a positive mentors you must accept their differences and use those to strive. To look up to someone who is the exact same as you, what will you learn? This helped me open my eyes and realize that anyone can be my mentor and I should truly cherish the ones I have.

• For my personal leadership and development, I found Lindy’s point about the best lessons come from failure and her point about wisdom comes from failures. I strongly believe in learning from a situation that could be looked at as negative. Although we fail and mess up sometimes, we have to remember we aren’t defeated because of it. Throughout my life I have had to over come battles with my family. Many times some of the relationships failed that were supposed to be strong, but I had to keep moving forward and find a way to learn from them. With failure comes wisdom when one chooses to take the experience and learn from it. During my elementary years of school I didn’t do well in math. Although I was young, I used to get upset when I didn’t get the grade I wanted or was expecting. Over time throughout high school and now college, I have learned to work hard before, and if it doesn’t turn out the way I wanted, to make a plan to do better next time.

• Sakinah Al Saleh

Lindy really discussed a good topic leadership experience and development. she point the perfect leader he/she does not always to be successful from the first time. I remember when I was on the high school my mentor teacher she told me to be leader successful you have try something even hard because without trying you will not successful. The leadership should conduct training/ meeting, on dependence what king of his/her job to develop team. I’m really like her presentation because its helpful for us.

• Shania Slavick

I really related to the fact of listening to my team and having a mentor. When I attended Southmoore High School my counselor was the best mentor that I was blessed to have. She helped me pave the way to finding the right college for me along with always being extremely helpful by sitting back and listening to any problems that I had going on. She truly believed in me and noticed I aspired to help others and that I had a really outgoing personality. She aided me in furthering my leadership abilities when she invited me to help out with a struggling girls group which involved listening and giving various girls advice on their difficult life situations that they were going through. A mentor is an essential part of leadership to one’s life because they create various opportunities that lead to success! They not only help an individual develop as a person but they see a certain valuable characteristics that a person might not see in themselves.

• Connor Schuff

Lindy told the class that a great leader will not always succeed in their career. When finding a team or creating a committee you should always look for people with different leadership traits so help balance each other out. She mentioned that wisdom comes from falling down and getting back up. She also said that listening to your peers and bouncing ideas off of each other is a great way to grow as a leader and thrive in your own personal life.

• Melissa Salazar Velasco

Lindy Ritz’s presentation over how she has gained success in her lifetime was inspiring in so many levels. The point that was the most consistent throughout her presentation and applied to me the most was the importance of having a good mentor. I was successful in high school because I had developed relationships with people that turned into mentors. These mentors pushed me beyond my limits, which helped me build my confidence. However, it has been difficult for me to achieve the level of confidence that I had in high school throughout my first semester in college. I believe that this has been because I have not spent the time building relationships with people that will push me to become the best version of myself in college. Even though there are a lot more resources in college than there were in high school, they are a lot more difficult to find as a commuter student that does not know how to allot her time. I am hoping that I will be able to find a mentor throughout these upcoming semesters, and I hope that I will be able to inspire him or her as well.

• Hope Hohnke

I feel that mentors can come in various ways. Many of my mentors have come to me quite unexpectedly. I’ve developed mentors through volunteering, club activities, and mission trips. The mentor I look up to the most is my brother. He has been the strongest male figure in my life since I was a child. He shows me more love and respect than I deserve. I hope that if there is ever a man in my future, that he will treat me the way my brother does. I owe every accomplishment to him and thank God everyday for him.

• Linn Brusletten

The point that stood most out to me during Lindy Ritz’s presentation was how she sometimes questioned her abilities and qualifications. I think we have a tendency to view leaders as flawless people with a tremendous self-esteem. I enjoyed hearing her deliberating over how she had overcome those expected, stereotypical personality traits through encouraging mentors, having faith in her employees and team member’s abilities, and accepting the fact that nobody knows it all. As a leader, it is important to be able to trust in the abilities of others and encourage them on the way. It is also crucial that one realizes that one is not supposed to know everything. Of course, it is an advantage to have some sort of idea, but it is also necessary to realize that there are people around you that are more specialized towards doing certain tasks. This is particularly important with regards to managing a business or a company. I also enjoyed her talking about mentorship and how it had helped her in her career.

• Zach Atkinson

Having a mentor is an important step in developing leadership skills since they give the advice needed to become an even greater leader, seeing as how they can provide new skills and abilities to you. With mentorship, you can see your full potential and learn more. Another important thing in leadership is having an open mind and listening to the needs of others. This is something that can help bring in new ideas and can cause people to look up to you even more, especially seeing as how part of being a leader is helping others and setting a great example. An open mind is one of the most important things in leadership development.

• Madison Gaines

She gave a great point of how mentors influence and impact our life and basically teach us how to be a better person. I completely agree with this, because mentors are the people we look up to the most. They impact what we think and how we do things. Mentors teach us the basic way of life and show us the right way to do things. She was so honest about everything she said and I really enjoyed her.

• Teena Varghese

As Lindy Ritz was speaking I realized she was right when she said that having a mentor would greatly impact us as leaders. I have had many mentors in my life to get me where I am today. My mentors whether they be older than me or my age have shaped me into the the leader I believe I am. She also mentioned how listening to our peers can help us evolve as leaders. I think this was a great point because I feel like in this day and age we tend to think it’sour way or no way. Both these points are great ways to help us become great leaders.

• Lydia Johnson

Lindy Ritz pointed out the importance of minding a mentor. It got me thinking back to my middle school and early high school years. Those were such important tiems for me and every older person that I met just changed everything for me. There was one girl named Hailey Cox shared the gospel with me and ended up changing my life. I got to go to china with her and learn from her. It reminds me of the scripture that says “Walk with the wise and you will become wise.” I think that there is so much value in seeking and finding mentors that can help you better understand life because of their wisdom.

• Delaney Williams

The part of Ms. Rtiz’s speech that really stood out to me is when she spoke about true wisdom coming from “falling” and then “getting back up”. This really spoke to me because in the past year I have had some really drastic changes in my life, and I have really felt that I had “fallen” a few times. However, I couldn’t really pick myself back up on my own, and this is why I looked to peers and mentors to help me do so. Ms. Ritz spoke that wisdom comes with age and experiences, and I believe that my mentors will help shape my experiences along the way. I also liked how Ms. Ritz spoke on staying focused on your path, and everything else will come along. This was especially inspiring for these last few weeks of school!

• Chase McMillen

Mentors are a great way to learn skills for everyday life. They set an example of how to act and compose yourself in different scenarios. Mentors are great for advancing yourself through the workforce. Although you may not be doing this intentionally, it still is a byproduct of having a good mentor. Mentors are not essential to being successful, but they do give people a great advantage to life.

• Forest Deming

The part of Lindy’s presentation that stuck out to me the most was when she talked about how her colleagues had much higher expectations for her than she had for herself. I think that it is very important not to sell ourselves short in any situation we are faced with. We must always expect the best from ourselves in school, work, sports, or any other challenge. If we do not expect much from ourselves than it is very easy to settle and never achieve our best.

• Bella Oliver

The most applicable thing Lindy said that applied to my leadership experience was when she talked about the one mentor who can completely change your life. Up until I moved to Washington my senior year, I hadn’t ever really thought of myself as a leader. I was mostly just called bossy by my peers, and because of that I always shied away from taking a leading role. However, when I joined the NJROTC program at my new school, my Naval Science Instructor started to help me grow into the leader I am now. He recognized I was a leader, and pushed me into becoming more involved on campus as well as within our program. By pushing me out of my comfort zone, he helped me devolop leadership skills, and without him I wouldn’t be where I am today.

• Shadow McCain

Finding mentors is extreamly import part of being a leader. There will always be someone who is more knowledgeable then yourself. If you can find someone with similar goal to you they can assist you in reaching your own goals. Mentors have already done many of the things you aspire to do or accomplish. There opinions can assist you with more then just your goal though. They can be someone you look up to in your everyday life. They can help you to become a better person. One more thing I found interesting was the importance Of listening to your peers. Many people can have amazing ideas if you are just open to listening to them. Support you peers in what they do. Because they can also help you in your our career.

• Kameron Nelson

The thing that resonated with me the most in Lindy Ritz lecture was listening to your team. I’m a firm believer that the number one cause of problems within teams and organizations is miscommunication. Too many people focus on their own ideas and opinions and ignore others. I believe a leader who can’t listen to their teammates isn’t an effective leader. Even when you’re not a leader within an organization, it’s still essential to listen without recrimination for a group to work smoothly.

• Lindy Ritz is one of those great examples of perseverance and dedication. She is the director of the Federal Aviation Administration; this is a real example of gender equality in the 21st century. For me to learn about Lindy background was inspiring. Sometimes woman when searching for a position opportunity is overwhelming, because is known that executive level positions usually are male gender oriented. Lindy mentioned how important was for her to find good mentors. The encouragement and support she received from their mentors was a great example good leadership. I am applying something that Lindy mentioned “Is to stand up for what we believe in.” We women, we have to believe in ourselves, once we are able to obtain master and doctoral degrees, we can be able to reach those executive level positions like her.