• Haley McKinzie

Throughout the many stories that Mayor Cornett shared with us, a few stuck out to me. Just as any normal human beings, he has ideas and goals that he believes in and believes that it will better the city he runs. Unfortunately, you will never have 100% of people agree with all your ideas and projects that would be beneficial. He said he has to give examples and eventually compromise to make all parties happy, while still having the betterment of the city as top priority. Along with compromising, and agreeing…he shared how OKC has drastically changed for the better. Many leaders from huge cities “want what we have” which is unity. Cornett believes the unity resulted mainly after the OKC bombing. He spoke of how many larger cities may have more “things” but they’re still searching for that missing piece. Throughout the leadership journey, obviously it is a goal to achieve great things. Sometimes you have to compromise to get the outcome you’re seeking, or even face hardships. When I get a job someday, I want to be able to use my leadership skills and become the missing piece that they were once searching for. Bringing unity, and the goal to make things better.

• Asia Augustine

I enjoyed the story of the former mayor of Oklahoma City and his trials and triumphs. He saw defeat as a learning experience. This is very important in a leader because the people need someone they can depend on during hard times and someone who is a strategic problem solver. He also deeply cared for his state and its residents. This was not stated, but is shown trough his actions. Being passionate about something acts as a giant motivator to a leader. He helped make Oklahoma City what it is now and it was not a easy task. He persevered through many road blocks. This story showed me that the road to success may be bumpy but it is worth it; especially if you the change you are aiming for is something close to your heart.

• Virginia Glaze

Mayor Cornett was an engaging speaker who enlightened me on some of Oklahoma City’s history. He touched on how the city was made, what our economy is based on, and gave different examples of leadership that the city has seen. One of the leaders May Cornett spoke about was Stanley Draper. He told the story of how Oklahoma City was not eligible to receive air mail. Stanley was determined to make air mail a reality, so he promised the postmaster that he would meet the weight requirement needed to gain such a service. When he didn’t, he began to mail bricks. I thought this story showed a unique trait in Stanley, even though it’s silly; it shows that a little perseverance can get you the results you desire.

• Jameson Riley

Probably the most interesting story Mick Cornett told was the story of how Stanley Draper went to meet the military officer at the airport just to greet him. He went just to be another friendly face, as he was a significant figure in Oklahoma at the time. In the innocence of his motivation for greeting teh officer he was given some very important information/advice that would change all of Oklahoma forever. Because of his boldness and simple willingness to meet the officer and be friendly he was presented with a thought, that turned into opportunity, that gave way to thousands of jobs and a change in the dynamic of the metropolitan area for the better. I learned that nothing great ever happened when someone was just sitting around waiting for the world to come to them. You have to go out and greet the world with a smile on your face and the will to do better for the people around you.

• Cash Deitz

I found the story of how Oklahoma City came to have Tinker Air Force Base interesting. One man took initiative to go talk to another man who was a high ranking military official, and this decision ultimately led to Oklahoma getting the Air Force Base bringing along a ton of jobs. It is weird how the actions of one man can affect thousands or millions, in good and bad ways. I think that from this I can learn to take initiative and not be afraid to go talk to people of authority. I should also note that not only big actions but also small actions can help the lives of others.

• Tyler Curry

I found the mayor’s most interesting story to be the one of the former mayor of Oklahoma City trying to improve the city with his failed projects, but continued his plan anyway. For me, personally, the story gave me an idea of how a leader shouldn’t give up on a vision because of one failed attempt. Even when he struggled in his second attempt by building up the river, he still carried on. Another aspect that I learned from this was that as long as someone has a goal and the drive to go on, then they are cable of being an effective leader. The mayor was in a situation where it seemed as if everything was going against him, but he fought through the adversity and was able to keep progressing because of his one vision for Oklahoma City.

• Emily Dunlevy

The Oklahoma story that was the most interesting to me was the story of Mayor Ron Norrick. I thought that his story was the most interesting because it showed how when a leader is enthusiastic about something, he can get the community to rally behind him. He was determined to get United Airlines to build a hub in OKC so he got the citizens to approve a sales tax continent on United coming to OKC. I think that this is the perfect example of great leadership. Norrick was very enthusiastic about the cause so he was able to get the citizens excited about it as well. I think that what I gained from this example was that to be a great leader, you need to really believe in what you are promoting. Stand behind what you believe in and want to fight for and the people will stand behind you.

• Michael Blunck

Mayor Cornett shared several stories about the development and leadership within Oklahoma City. For me, I think the most interesting was the story of his immediate predecessor, Ron Norrick, who was the mayor originally behind the MAPS program to revitalize the city. This story was fascinating to me from an academic perspective because it showed a paradigm shift in how a community acquires economic development. Like much of life, things are often counter intuitive; and while columnists will try to persuade you all day long about how deregulation of industries or the support of a particular sector of the energy economy will automatically create jobs and growth, it is telling that the past and current leadership of our city have looked beyond this immediate answer to their city’s needs. What OKC and Mayor Norrick learned from the loss of the United Airlines contract was that without a community worth living in, the businesses that bring those employment opportunities to a city will never invest. This new focus on the overall quality of life projects for the city has also shifted the focus on the importance of the human resources that our community has to offer. When you admit that the quality of life for a community must be a priority you soon admit that education and employment are also priorities that must be established.

Of course Mayor Cornett also made a point of addressing the role that the bombing played on the unity of the city. After the bombing of the federal offices in the city it brought the community together and helped develop support for the initial MAPS programs, and it’s this unity that the Mayor feels has been key to the multiple success of the program and the city as a whole.

This leaves me with two lessons on leadership.

1) Ask why a plan failed in the first place, and then be willing to take a less obvious answer to the initial problem. In other words: don’t be afraid to take the road less travelled if it seems like a viable option when you need one!

2) A leader’s actions rely as much on the united efforts of those they lead as their own policies and decisions. While a leader’s goal is to facilitate this common ground and help focus the efforts of those they inspire and lead; ultimately it lies in the hands of those being lead as to whether they work together as a team. A leader’s role then is to make sure this team work is as achievable as possible by finding the common ground needed for a diverse set of people to collaborate on.

Finally, I would like to commit on a separate lesson I learned from the Mayor’s presentation. Mayor Cornett, as well as the rest of the speakers we’ve had this semester, have driven home the power of narrative and cultural ethos. Mitt Cornett started his lecture by stating the history of the city, its rise, fall, and current redemption. This sort of narrative retelling of the events that helped shaped the city did more for my emotional connection to the metro than anything else I’ve heard in the past few years. It’s this shared, compelling, history that I feel is important to know; and the ability for a leader to share these stories is key, in my eyes, for building broader civic engagement.

Leaders are able to make those they lead feel as though they are contributing their talents and skills to something more than just themselves, something bigger. If a leader can place their followers into that larger context, and make them recognize it, it will go a long way towards making those followers not only accept their responsibilities, but also feel a sense of ownership over them. This shared sense of narrative, and common connection within a community; this shared sense of ownership, when facilitated by a powerful leader generates perhaps the most powerful force we know of within the limits of humanity: hope for the future.

Thus I have gathered that an effective leader is someone who create a profound sense of communal hope for the future, and that it’s this shared belief in what is possible that allows leaders to try every option on the table, even one as nuts as putting a canal in a warehouse district of a dying city…

• Ellie Schultz

Mayor Cornett told a story about Stanley Draper. Stanley took initiative. When the general came to Oklahoma he met with him. He asked questions and searched for solutions to make Oklahoma better. He saw the importance and took advantage of that opportunity. I was inspired by this story because he did what had to be done. He took opportunities when opportunity came his way. I enjoyed the Mayor’s presentation extremely and was very inspired by the people’s stories he shared.

• Sidra Mesiya

The most interesting story in my opinion was the story about Oklahoma not getting picked for the airline jobs. I picked this experience from the past because it displays an important leadership quality. This quality is that even though Oklahoma lost, it bounced back up and learned from its mistakes. The mayor, Ron Norick, was determined to understand why they were not chosen so that he could work on changing that for the better. When he learned that Oklahoma was not chosen because it is not a desirable place to live, he worked to change that. The characteristics he showed throughout his time as mayor included determination and resilience, two qualities of an excellent leader.

• Marielle Jackson

I personally loved the story that Mr. Cornett told us about Isaac Newton and the discovery that the planets moved in a elliptical order. I thought it was interesting that even though one person did all the work, they still collaborated and worked together. I think I learned two important lessons from this. Number one, never stop learning. I’ve learned this year that the best thing you can do for yourself is gain intelligence. Number two, never be unwilling to be humble, even when you know all the answers. It’s our jobs as leaders to let our followers discover things for themselves sometimes and let them learn.

• Lexi Carroll

The mayor’s most interesting story he shared was the one about the airmail service and how Stanley would put bricks in the mail to continue the services of airmail. Stanley was required to meet a certain weight quota each week so he was clever enough to put bricks in the mail. This story humored me because sometimes as leaders we are called to think outside of the box in order to prosper and I believe that Stanley had a passion to make a difference so he did whatever it took to keep his dreams a reality. Mayor Mick Cornett took a different spin on his presentation with a more intuitive speech where we had to read between the lines to understand the moral of the stories rather than just speaking in bullet points and I really admired that. It kept me thinking and I learned a little more in depth this time.

• Monica Farquhar

The story I found most interesting was the one about how they would mail bricks just so Oklahoma would meet the weight requirements to keep air mail. At this time Oklahoma was trying to make a name for itself and we were willing to go above and beyond to reach their goals. What leadership tips I took from this is to never give up and to persevere. No matter what the obsticle is do everything in your power to get around it. Be creative and innovative and don’t give up until you achieve the goals you have set.

• Jessica Solis

Listening to Mayor Cornett speak was a amazing and humbling experience. One of my favorite stories Mayor Cornett gave was the one about Stanley Draper starting the airmail service in Oklahoma. Stanley Draper was the mayor at that time. Stanley was told starting airmail service was not possible unless they met a certain weight of mail and was told it was simply not possible for a state like Oklahoma. Stanley guaranteed they could do it so they gave him a chance. To make weigh Stanley started mailing bricks. I found this story to be the most interesting because it is not would something I was expecting. Out of this story it showed me that even people with rank get told no and get doubted but It also showed me that you have to prove those people wrong and keep faith in what you are doing. If Stanley would have taken no for an answer then airmail service would not have started in Oklahoma. As a leader I have to learn from Stanley and always keep faith in what I am doing even if people tell me it is not possible.

• In the Mayor’s presentation I enjoyed the way he described the beginning of OKC. His description of the land-run and how the city was formed in one day is unique and accurate. So often the land-run is brushed off to the side as just a minor point but the idea of lining people up and having them literally run for land in a mad dash was never a way I pictured it in my head although that’s how it happened. It taught me that even some of the most outlandish ideas can be useful. Don’t be afraid to be creative as a leader and take risks. In order to get anything done one must put oneself out there for success or possible failure, like the people of the land-run.

• Ocean Scheel

Out of all the examples given by Mayor Cornett, I decided that the story that he told about Mayor Stanley Draper in regards to Tinker Air Force Base was definitely my favorite. I grew up near Midwest City where Tinker Air Force Base is located and I also live very close to Stanley Draper lake so when he began to tell the story I was immediately intrigued because of my previous knowledge of their whereabouts, but I would soon find out how little I knew about their related significance. He told how Mayor Draper met with a military official when a World War II plane stopped at Will Rogers to refuel. Mayor Cornett told that Mayor Draper was very excited for this encounter with a standing army general. When the general exited the plane he told Mayor Draper that what the military really needed was a stop between New York and Los Angeles. After finding out that this was a need to be met Mayor Draper immediately started making phone calls and that was the initiation of what is now the largest military air maintenance center in America. What I took from the story is that no matter how big the project, it can be initiated by one single person who takes into consideration the needs of others and puts them into play. Tinker Air Force Base is now a very affluent and job providing place in Oklahoma and it makes it all the more impressive that it was initiated from a simple conversation and determined leader.

• Mary Schwager

Personally, I loved the story of Stanley Draper and his scheme to outsmart the mail system. He gives an example of a successful way to think outside of the box, but still follow all the rules and regulations. To be an effective leader, one must be very flexible in their plans and ideas, and funnel their enthusiasm to however their plans emerge. Rarely do things go directly as planned, so it is imperative to be able to roll with the punches. Being unusually creative to fix a problem that arises is a fantastic way to outsmart the naysayers, and prove the ability that you contain as a leader.

• Barry Ricketts

The story I found most interesting was the one about the airline company. I found this story interesting because the current mayor at the time went out of his way to get the city behind him in his plan. In my opinion the city was desperate for jobs, I say this because the mayor was wiling to raise taxes to build a facility for the airlines and the tax payers were willing to pay. The leaderships tips I gained from this experience is that if things seem impossible or even too much to handle just know that theirs another way. Corresponding with the cities desperation of needing jobs, if this one particular airline company couldn’t provide them for city then maybe another one will.to never give up is the key of a true leader whenever there is a bump in the road.

• Chloe Freeman

During Mayor Cornett’s presentation, There were many interesting topics. One story that was told was about former Mayer Stanley Draper. He wanted air mail to be delivered to OKC but because we didn’t have enough business, there wasn’t enough mail that needed to be delivered. Mayor Draper was persistent and would not take no for an answer because he knew Oklahoma would be better because of the airmail and he wanted to see his city thrive. Finally, The airmail began to run, but sure enough, there wasn’t enough mail being brought in and out of OKC so Mayor Stanley started mailing bricks in order to meet the weight requirement to keep the airmail coming. This story is really cool to me because Mayor Stanley cared so much about OKC meeting the other surrounding cities way of life that he took creative measures to insure our state be equal to the others. This is a really important leadership tip to me because sometimes, we need to think outside the box in order to make our community better. There is no right way to solve a problem.

• Emily Raynor

My favorite story of Mayor Mick Cornett’s was most definitely the past mayor of Oklahoma that he spoke on. Even though the past mayor, which I have forgotten the name of, had many failures, he still kept striving for the people and state he cared about. The main leadership trait that he showed was perseverance. Although things repeatedly did not go his way, he still tried his hardest. I believe that’s what life is all about, to keep going until you keep achieving. I learned that no matter the obstacle, I should always put out my full effort and HOPE for the best!

• Kalen Russell

The most interesting story Mayor Cornett shared was about Oklahoma City’s former mayor Stanley Draper and his determination in providing airmail for his constituents. He had the foresight to know that airmail would be necessary in the future of his town. He was determined and promptly acted on his beliefs, corresponding and debating on several occasions with the Post Master. When the Post Master consented, and Draper was unable to fulfill his vow of seventy-five pounds of mail per day, Draper created is own mail. I do not consider this a dishonest action. Leaders must think creatively to reach their goals, have determination, and have foresight to ensure the prosperity of those that they represent.

• The story that really stuck out to me was when the Army General thought it was a good idea to build Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma. If the that current mayor didn’t make an effort to meet the general we wouldn’t have the job providing establishment. It really shows you how making connections can really help benefit those around you. It is also inspiring to see how people can see the potential in things that others don’t. Mayor Cornett stated that it now provides 40,000 jobs in Oklahoma City. It really pays of to get to know people so they can see the potential to benefit other around you.

• Hung-Lin Lai

The most interesting was the previous mayor’s relentless effort to attract large companies to come to OKC. OKC is now a thriving and up and coming city in the United states because the mayor understood the elements to which makes a city viable and attractive. They started the maps project and transformed okc from a ghost town to a vibrant city. I was really inspired by the story.

• Zack Simmons

One of the most interesting things I thought Mayor Cornett said was when he described leaders, and himself, he said that most leaders are introverted, but can do extroverted things. When I was in high school I always thought a leader of a group had to be a loud extrovert that everyone listened to. So I always told myself that, that wasn’t me so I thought i could never reach my leadership potential. As i got older i soon realized that most of the kids who were always loud, and that i thought were leaders, were usually just a lot of talk. They never would follow through with anything. It was always the person who not necessarily never spoked, but every time they did speak, everyone would listen.

• I was most affected by the story about former Oklahoma City mayor Norick and the United Airlines deal. I have had a tough time adjusting to failure or being told no in the past, but the story mayor Cornett shared about how Norick worked so hard to get the United Airlines facility built in Oklahoma City and then the deal fell through, I really admired the way he handled it. He confronted the failure head on, rather than attempting to place the blame somewhere else or covering up the story. He admitted the truth to his constituents and he worked to better the situation. He was reelected because they genuinely liked him and knew he did his best to land that deal. These are qualities that I admire and need to work towards acquiring to better my leadership ability. I am no longer paralyzed by the thought of failure nor do I avoid opportunities because of my fear of it, but I still have quite a ways to go before I can simply take failure in stride and continue on making improvements as I go.

• Sean St.Aimie

I found the story about the man that was trying to get the airport to Oklahoma most interesting. It taught me that perserverence and communication can help in all situations to make things happen. It also showed me that even if I mess up, there will always be at least one person to still back you up, so do I shouldnt get discouraged when I do.

• Sadie Price

One story that Mayor Mick Cornett told that I thoroughly enjoyed was when he explained how Stanley Draper was extremely determined to bring airmail to Oklahoma City, but he was told that we did not have enough population and yearly revenue to not only obtain the airmail service, but keep it as well. So instead of letting this obstacle hold him back from expanding and bettering his city and the people who inhabit it, he decided to figure out a way to do whatever it would take to accomplish this goal. Taking a fun and spunky, yet very witty and sarcastic twist, Draper started sending copious amounts of bricks to random places to create a sturdy foundation for an airmail postage office. Eventually, he accomplished the goal he had set for himself. I love this story because even though his idea was ridiculous, it worked, got his point across, and proved to his people that he was loyal and determined to keep their best interest at heart. To me, this story screams that you shouldn’t let anything hold you back from accomplishing your dream, and to do whatever it takes — even if it is crazy.

• Leila Mazkoori

The story that I found most interesting was the story of the mayor trying to build Oklahoma for the better. This story was the most interesting because he decided to move forward even when he failed a couple of times. He never gave up on what Oklahoma could be. The story had everything such as hope, failure, and then later success. The mayor offers leadership qualities that I believe will help the lessons in leadership students learn what it takes ink order to be successful.

• Bailee Bronson

The story which reflected OKC’s great leadership is the story of Stanley Draper. Stanley Draper, though perhaps not by the most honorable of methods, was able to secure air mail service for OKC. This measure was a drastic change for OKC, allowing for a boom in the economy. This action was a drastic one, completely changed the way I that Oklahoma City does business and has certainly set us up for financial success. From this story, I learned that taking risks usually is rewarding.

• Blakely Elliott

I enjoyed the story about the mayor putting bricks in the mail so they could keep air mail.
    I liked this story because the mayor disn’t give up and he kept doing what he knew Oklahoma deserved. I think this can help in my leadership journey because I think that a leader shouldn’t give up for their followers and organization. They should always try to better it and leave it better than he or she started. I think a lot of people could learn from this story because so many times today people give up or take the easy way out, but leaders shouldn’t be the ones to do rhat. They should be the fighters.

• mason thompson

The story that i found most interesting from the mayor was the story of the river with no water through Oklahoma City. This was the beginning of the canal in downtown Oklahoma City. The mayor mentioned that they stole the idea from San Antonio and it has made a wonderful addition to the brick town area. Something that i gained from this is the ability to see the potential in everything on a day to day basis. And overall optimism in carrying myself everyday.

• Clayeton Hammock

I really enjoyed the story he shared about Stanley Draper and the airmail. Before he revealed Stanley’s solution, I actually had the same thought about the bricks. I think this shows that no matter how ridiculous an idea is, it should always be considered. Stanley was able to see into the future and notice how big of an impact the airmail system would have on OKC, then he took the steps necessary to bring it here. Although putting bricks in the mail might seem crazy to some, it helped Oklahoma City grow tremendously.

• Kennedy Lehew

My story Mayor Cornett told was how MAPS was first started. Looking back at OKC before MAPS, everything was so different. It is so amazing how far the city has come since MAPS has started. To me, this shows that if you set your mind to something, you can accomplish it if you are determined. If you work hard, you will see such great results. It amazes me that one person can start a change that is so big. To think that one person started MAPS which started the development of change in our city is just so great.

• Macie Snowden

Mayor Mick Cornett was a great speaker. He kept my attention well during this class period. I really enjoyed all his experiences and how they affected his and others’ leadership skills. The story I thought was extremely interesting was the Stanley Draper story. Draper was passionate about keeping airmail in Oklahoma. He put bricks in the mail to have enough airmail weight. He demonstrates thinking outside of the box and being original. Instead of giving up, he sought out somewhat of a “loop-hole.”
    I learned from this that creativity is essential. To possess effective leadership, one must adapt to different environments and improvise according to circumstances. Draper provided a prime example of what both these qualities look like in action.

• Britton Hodge.

I liked the story he told about Stanley draper. One because draper lake is in Moore, and two because the ingenuity of what he did is awesome so he can better his community, putting bricks in the mail so that Oklahoma can have its own postal system is awesome.
    true leadership is when you’ll do anything for your community so you can see it thrive. Not to better yourself but to benefit others.

• Junghee Hong

In mayor Cornett’s lesson, I can learned about Oklahoma history and many mayor’s story. One of the thing that was most interesting to me was MAPS. This project was successful and it improved Oklahoma’s quality of life. And as the previous mayor did MAPS, I think finding what is necesssay is important to any leader. Because the leader is who can make the society more convenient.

• Jessica Matallana

Mayor Cornett was such a interesting speaker! Everything that he was talking about intrigued me. Especially when he told us the story about Stanley Draper. Draper was an extremely passionate person, especially about obtaining airmail in Oklahoma City. He was so determined to keep it, that he would have bricks sent to and from to keep the required airmail weight in line. As a growing leader, this story really inspired me to think outside the box. You never know what you’re going to get throw at you in life, so might as well get creative with it!

• Freshta Nematzadeh

Perhaps the most intriguing story from Mayor Mick Cornett was the development of Tinker Airforce base in Oklahoma City. After hearing about a general that would have a plane stop in Oklahoma City, the mayor at the time was sure to make his way down to the airport and meet the general. The general went on to tell the mayor of how he wanted a place to make an airforce base between New York and Los Angeles as a midpoint. The mayor at the time put much effort focus into finding the right connections to gain the attention of the general, and convince him that Oklahoma City would be the perfect place for an airforce base.

Mayor Mick Cornett’s reflection on acts of leadership in our community and Oklahoma History brought to my attention the amount of development put into this state. We would not be here today without the dedicated leaders and efforts made by them for such historical revelations. Tinker Airforce base has produced thousands of jobs and become of large significance to the Oklahoma City area.

• Bre Peeler

During Mayor Cornett’s presentation, I really enjoyed his quote, “Rome wasn’t built in a day but Oklahoma City was!” I thought that this was an intriguing way to catch everyone’s attention as he began speaking about Oklahoma City’s history. I liked the way that he showed Ron Norrick’s perseverance. Even though he was not able to bring the United Airline’s factory here, he came up with an idea that would make our city a better place and that would hopefully bring future conpanies to our city. Norrick didn’t let his first failure determine the rest of his ideas. He proposed the first MAPS project which many people were skeptical of, but he believed in his idea and pushed through people’s objections. He used many leadership skills to gain followers and make his vision a reality.