Week 11 Presentation – Chancellor Glen Johnson

Chancellor Johnson discussed numerous valued leadership qualities and characteristics during his presentation. Which of these resonated the most with you and which of these do you feel you need to better develop and why?

• Jordan Michela

The leadership quality that spoke to me was when Chancellor Johnson was talking about teamwork. Through this subject he mentioned that great leaders are individuals who can put together a group of people and use their own strengths to reach a common goal. The challenge is keeping the fire and drive under that team. I believe that I have a great way of recognizing people’s strengths but after I give them a task, I struggle to keep the group in place. The fire starts to dwindle. I would have to agree that since that is a key component on being a leader, I will need to work harder at obtaining that leadership quality.

• Zack Simmons

One quality that Chancellor Johnson talked about that I need to further develop, or overcome, is the ability to take risk and be able to measure the risk. Whenever I come across a situation where I work and my boss asks me to do something that I’ve never done, I automatically assume i can’t do it and want to back out of it. I am ultimately afraid of failing. This is something I’ve been working and still trying to improve. I need to do these things that my boss asks me to do because it shows I’m accountable and able to adapt to situations that come up. This will further show him the I’m able to take on more responsibility and move up in the rankings. I just need to approach each task with an open mind and do my best and not worry about failing.

• Cambrea Lott

The point that Chancellor Johnson made that really hit home with me was that leadership is influence. He talked about the importance of leading by example, and how nothing will go undocumented in these days and times. I relate to this point personally, because I was on a pom squad for four years. Something that I noticed during these years was how the captains and the coaches (the leaders of the team) really set the tone for practices, events, etc. If they were having a bad day, I realized quickly how easy it was for my day to turn into a bad day. I relate to the part about how nothing goes undocumented, because I was a captain my senior year. The girls on my squad knew everything I was doing at all times, where I was, why I was there, and they also had screenshots to prove it. The point I struggle with mostly though is the importance of teams, because often times when I’ve depended on people, I found it would have just been easier if I would have done it myself. I need to work on how to choose people that will get the job done, or as Chancellor Johnson described them, “effective teams.”

• Virginia Glaze

Chancellor Johnson touched on many different facets of leadership during his presentation on Tuesday. One that stood out to me was possessing good communication skills. I feel that, in many projects, teams have a difficult time getting their ideas or schedules across to their teammates, and sometimes end up having conflicts that could have been resolved much earlier if they had better communicated. Good communication is key to getting anything done, and a big part of leadership due to the fact that people look up to leaders based on their relationship with others, and this includes the communication aspect.

Another quality that he touched on which I feel I could improve upon is influence. As a shyer individual, I find that it is difficult for me to make an impression on people. I believe that a large part of this has to do with standing up for what you believe in, but also taking the time to really pay attention to others. In rejecting attentiveness only to your insecurities, you automatically focus on the person you are talking to, and people really notice this. I think that I could stand to withdraw from my shell and take time to find out more about others, and, in doing so, be able to influence them and create a good impression.

• Micah Jones

Taking risks resonated with me. I’ve always kind of wondered if “better safe than sorry” is the best policy to live by. Taking risks doesn’t necessarily mean throw caution to the wind and do whatever is in the moment. It means looking at all the possibilities in a situation and deciding if the desired outcome is worth working towards. Even if the chances of that outcome are slim. Also, if the risk taken doesn’t end like it was intended, that’s part of life and we all have to learn how to overcome our mistakes and poor decisions. In hindsight, the cons of risk taking are hardly ever as bad as they seem in the moment.

• Ocean Scheel

Glenn Johnson discussed that a leader needs to be able to effectively seize the moment. I have found that lately in life I have been able to take advantage of many opportunities that I would have before questioned. Choosing to attend the University of Central Oklahoma as well as getting involved here, and choosing my wonderful roommate have all been instances in which I took advantage of the moment placed in front of me. I also have seize the moment in smaller actions throughout my days. I have found that procrastination will only limit my ability to improve and so I have therefore tried to work effectively ahead of schedule. The leadership quality which I need to improve on would have to be that of being a good listener. I sometimes assume that just because those around me choose to remain silent that I know should represent what they want, because I am willing to take the lead. Despite the positve aspects of taking the lead it is vital to a leader to know what those around them are interested in, desire, and need. In order to come up with the best possible outcome I must take others’ ideas into consideration. Once I find a balance between effectively ceasing there moment and incorporating the ideas of others I will be on a better road toward effective leadership.

• Clayeton Hammock

The characteristic he discussed that resonated with me was being passionate and sincere. To be the best leader you can be, you have to be passionate about the cause and truly believe in it. That is when you will create something great and truly impact others. I think I need to better develop my ability to take risks. I like going with the plan and carrying out whatever plan is already mapped out. I think if I would get outside my comfort zone more I could be a more effective leader.

• Jameson Riley

Of the many relevant characteristics of leadership that Glen Johnson touched on Tuesday one of them that really resonated in my life was “Build an effective team”. He further emphasized his point by reminding us that no one can do it alone. I have found in my own leadership experience that a team can either be a blessing, or make you want to do the project alone. To build a team is one thing, but to build an effective team is a feat in it’s own right. This can be a leader’s greatest struggle, but it can also be a wonderful blessing. Investing in, constructively criticizing, and accomplishing goals as a team are what makes an team effective, and sometimes that’s hard to do.

• Michael Blunck

Chancellor Johnson described two powerful ideas about leadership; the importance of listening, and the importance of integrity.

These both resonated with me as things of which I must improve, and while the idea of strengthening a weakness my run counter to our previous discussion involving strengths and how prioritizing them leads to success, I still feel that these two elements are worth the investment of any leader. For while improving on areas of weakness may only prevent future failure, the elements I have listed above are essential to one’s overall success, and the failures that can arise from a lack of these two essential elements can be catastrophic.

First, listening is a skill that must be taught to every individual regardless of future prospects as someone in a leading role. Listening is the key to understanding, and that understanding is the key to empathy and problem solving. As the esteemed Chancellor put it: “listening shows that you do not have a monopoly on good ideas.” This means that proper listening can not only open the door to new ways of tackling a problem by providing new perspectives, it is the essential social glue that can hold a team or society together.
    Simply listening allows others to feel as though you value them, and acknowledge them. Listening doesn’t mean that you must agree with or follow the advice of the one you’re listening to, but it does mean that you are affirming their worth as someone who wishes to share information with you, and that they are potentially someone who cares about you. Ignoring someone’s opinion in a collaborative setting can lose their cooperation, and at worst can even put the success of a project or program in jeopardy simply because you didn’t seem to value the effort they were putting forward. Parallel to this is the important fact that others do have much to contribute to a solution; ignoring them only alienates the two of you and keeps progress from being done. This is why true brain storming exercises are so helpful in a professional setting because they give everyone a fair forum to suggest ideas, no matter how unlikely or improbable, as any attempt to censor that exercise leads to others feeling less safe and confident in sharing, stifling the creative output of the entire group. Listening then is essential to a leader as it allows them to lift up their followers and capitalize on their diverse skills while also allowing the leader to determine new solutions to otherwise vexing problems.

Integrity was the other important element I listed, in the words of my generation; you’ve ‘got to keep it real.’ The ability to be trusted for what you do and say is so foundational to leadership that entire volumes could be filled on this topic alone. Integrity means maintaining consistent moral standards and meeting those standards, remaining honest even when stretching the truth would seem more advantageous. This is what inspires leadership and action, the words and deeds of someone who holds their integrity intact is a powerful force as so many of us have done things here and there that have caused us to feel like we are no longer worthy of the moral high ground, that we have failed to be genuine. I know that I struggle with this aspect of leadership as I have caught myself in situations where I have lied, or stretched the truth, or acted in accordance with something I have previously taken a stance on.
    Losing that integrity is not only damaging to your perceived reputation by others, but perhaps even more damaging to your own internal since of integrity. When you know that you are with your own sins it makes it that much more difficult to claim the high ground in front of those who are being less than fair or sincere. You feel like a charlatan, a fraud, and above all a hypocrite. Others will recognize your internal struggles, your hesitance, and true leaders will see right through your thinly veiled facade. Loss of one’s since of integrity is thus a horrifying reality where one becomes petrified with fear and hypocrisy, and where one’s ability to take the risks the Chancellor mentioned becomes compromised. Thus a loss of integrity is both an internal and external loss of opportunity and a commitment to mediocrity. One can regain their integrity, but this is a long process, that takes others finding it within themselves to forgive your past transgressions, and them believing your commitment to a new and holistic you; yet as it has been stated, such a change takes commitment and character, which is difficult to internally muster once you no longer feel worthy of the praise you receive; paranoid by the fear of one day being found out again, and back to square one in this cycle.

Thus listening and integrity are two powerful elements of leadership that both resonate with me and are both things that I internally struggle with. In the case of integrity I feel that it is important to understand how it is one skill that must be strengthened, even if it is only to avoid the loss of face and personal respect that comes from its absence.

• Sabrina Bermudez

Chancellor Johnson made the point that “leadership is influence”. He also said we should set an example daily. People are always watching what we say or do. The example we set for others will be reflected by the influence we have on them. If as leaders we are always late and never give our all in our work, those who are following us will believe they can do the same. We also have the opportunity to influence other leaders to do great things. Nothing great can be done by one person alone, which is why it’s important that we show others why we value what we do so they can become involved with it as well.

• Tyler Curry

For me, the most important quality in a leader is honesty. People need an honest leader so they know that they can trust that person every time they need an answer. Even if the answer is an “I don’t know,” then at least it’s an honest answer and there’s a chance that the problem can be solved. A quality that I feel I could better develop would be my ability to influence others. As a leader, it takes influence to encourage others to take action and keep them focused on the same goal. At the moment, I don’t really feel that I have what it takes to keep people together and have them follow my lead. Maybe in the future I can build on this.

• Marielle Jackson

The leadership quality and characteristic that resonated the most to me was that, “leaders have to have a sense of humor.” The chancellor told us a story about how he encountered somebody that mistook him for somebody else and ended up insulting him. He told us that he ended up just laughing it off and learning from it. I admire that because sometimes I feel I take things too seriously. I want to better develop my ability to “laugh it off” and look at something like that as an opportunity to grow and change. I think for myself it would benefit me as a leader to have a perfect balance between having a sense of humor, taking things seriously, and over-analyzing situations to the point of worry. I appreciated the encouragement for us to “have a sense of humor” because sometimes that is the only way to handle a situation.

• Deven Bond

Chancellor Glen Johnson discussed many qualities that are essential for good leadership. I resonated most with Chancellor Johnson when he said that a leader must be willing to take risks, but calculate chances of being successful, and when he said that there are two kinds of people: those that stay on the sidelines and those that go into the field of battle. The quality of boldness and being able to take risks is a big factor in being a leader. Sometimes as a leader, you have to do what’s right even if you are the only one and that can’t be very discouraging. A quality that I need to develop is the ability to be able to be more team-oriented instead of wanting to accomplish things on my own. Athletically, I consider myself to be very team-oriented, but when it comes to academics, I have always been extremely independent. I know that if I was more open-minded, I could accomplish so much more as a leader so that is something that I will continue to work on.

• My favorite aspect of leadership that Chancellor Johnson discussed in his presentation was the ability to take risks. Adaptability is one of my top five strengths and I believe that it is the one that has done me the most good. I embrace change and take it as it comes. I believe that sometimes one must “jump and then build the airplane.” I see the value in careful planning, but when an opportunity presents itself one must be able to take certain risks. A little bit of risk is good, just like a little bit of risk management is also helpful. Being able to accept that there are certain risks associated with leading groups of people is one of the first steps toward being a great leader. The one in charge is the one who says “I know the risk involved in this endeavor, and I plan to achieve my goals regardless.”

• Emily Dunlevy

The leadership characteristic that resonated most with me during Chancellor Johnson’s presentation was being a good listener. I feel like I am very good at listening to the opinions and ideas of everyone I am working with and then I am able to effectively combine those ideas in a way to produce the most insightful solution to a problem or task. I am a very opinionated person but when I am working with a group on a project, I feel like I am able to set this aside and work for the good of the team by taking time to listen to everyone’s ideas and thinking of ways to incorporate everyone’s ideas into the final product. The characteristic that I lack is the desire to take risks. I like to play everything safe, I never want to push the envelope because I am afraid of failing or disappointing someone. I really liked how Chancellor Johnson told us to take risks but to evaluate the risks beforehand. I think if I had this approach rather than assuming all risk will end in disaster, I would be more likely to take risks that would have great reward.

• Kalen Russell

Chancellor Johnson stated that all great leaders seize the moments they are given. Using Martin Luther King, Jr., Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, and Rosa Parks as examples, Chancellor Johnson concentrated the influence of each of these historical figures into the idea that each person made the most of the resources they had during the time they had them. None of these figures had certainty of what would happen as a result of their actions, but they knew that “watching from the sidelines” would benefit no one. Seizing the moment resonated the most with me because it is characteristic that is often overlooked due to the prevalence of the traits that it produces, such as taking risks and connecting with others. I want to more effectively seize the moment I am given. Being in college I currently have a plethora of opportunities available to me to address issues plaguing our world and its people. Chancellor Johnson used a quote by Theodore Roosevelt to the effect of: some people watch from the sidelines hoping that they do not get kicked and others jump into the game with all that they have KNOWING that they will get kicked, but give it their best anyway. It is time for me to get into the game for as history’s shown just standing by is not the answer.

• Jessica Matallana

The quality of a leader that resonated the most with me was the one where he discussed the ability to be passionate and sincere about what you believe. Personally, I think it is sometimes difficult to stand firm on what you believe in, especially if you stand alone. However, if you lack passion and sincerity, you lack drive and motivation. Making it your central focus will allow you to inspire your team and to be more committed to the cause. Furthermore, Chancellor Johnson said, “No one is the best every single time.” This was definitely a great reminder that it’s okay to not have it all together every second of every day. The quality or characteristic that I feel that I need to work on is taking more risks. Although I must calculate the risk, I still need to put myself out there in order to become an effective leader.

• Emily Raynor

A great characteristic of a leader that Chancellor Glen Johnson mentioned during his presentation was to ‘Always be passionate and sincere’. This resonated most with me because I have seen this skill in full action first hand. However, I have seen this skill absent from some leaders as well. From personally seeing both sides, I believe that this skill is a MUST when leading a group of people to a positive goal or outcome. Another great characteristic of a leader Chancellor Glen Johnson mentioned was ‘Be able to take risks’. Unfortunately, as a leader, I need to work on this as a skill of mine. Risk-taking is not my forte as I am more of a calm, futuristic person and leader altogether.

• Lauren McKenzie

I think that one of the main leadership quantities that resonate in me would definitely be working with a team. Moving from the high school environment to the college environment has been a big change. This change involves being at the bottom of the totem pole and being the youngest again. This can be difficult because as a leader I have been the main person in charge in the past. I now have to remember that working as a team is how you can get a job done easily and affectively. I may not always be the head of everything again, but if I work with the team and follow instructions from those who are above me, we can together meet the common goal.

• Jessica Solis

During Chancellor Johnsons speech he talked about whether leaders are born or made and qualities leaders should possess. One of the qualities that resonated to me was have integrity and keep your word. As a leader I always try to be reliable. Keeping your word and having integrity are things leaders need to have because people want to be able to trust that you will follow through with what you said you would. Something that Chancellor Johnson said was “try to do your best, but you don’t always have to be the best” this is something I have work on. I try to be the best in what I do and when I fail or don’t do as good as I feel like I can I get disappointed in myself and that saying made me realize that when I try to do my best it’s the best I can do so be proud of that. As a leader your best that you can do is your best, so be proud in your best.

• Haley McKinzie

A simple question that Mr. Johnson asked that really got me thinking was, “Are leaders made or born?” I believe that as a true leader you grow every single day. On the same note, there are certain characteristics that people are naturally born with. A couple of qualities mentioned that come more naturally to me are being sincere and genuine about my beliefs, as well as being a good listener. Listening to others who went before me, and learning from their mistakes and triumphs, as well as listening to my own passions will hopefully help me develop more as a successful leader. One aspect that I do feel that I should work on is ‘Taking Risks to be Successful.’ Stepping out, taking risks, and possibly having the event of failing is a scary thing. By tying in the quality of good listening skills and staying true to my beliefs, I am hopeful that it will allow the scary risks to pan out the way that I initially intend for them to be one day.

• Angela Thampi

One of the characteristics of a leader that Chancellor Johnson discussed that really stuck with me was the importance of trying your best, but also understanding that you personally do not have to be the best all the time. This has always been something that I have struggles with. I am in many ways a perfectionist, so if I don’t think something is going to be done well, I usually find a way around doing it. I avoid situations like this when I should be trying my best to make the situation better, especially if it involves other people who need the support. A leader should be someone who people know they can depend on and get help from no matter what, so working on this specific quality is extremely important to me.

• In his presentation, Chancellor Johnson said that one should always try their best but one doesn’t always have to be the best. This really resonated with me. I am a perfectionist and much of the time I find myself nitpicking the very smallest of things and causing more trouble for myself. One of my personality strengths is competition which can be good and bad; however, a lot of the time it leads to me needing to be right all of the time, or the absolute best at whatever I do. Chancellor Johnson’s words really hit home with me in that respect. Curbing my in competitor and perfectionist by trying my best but not always being the best is definitely something that I need to work on.

• Lexi Carroll

As Chancellor Glen Johmson spoke over leadership, one of his very first points stuck out to me the most. His statement that “leadership is influence” made me sit back and realize that a leader isn’t someone who knows the right answer every time or someone who knows how to boss people around. A leader is someone who’s actions and words demonstrate a positive influence on his or her surrounding peers. Influence is the most important thing a leader has to offer and whether they carry a great attitude or a sour one, it is contagious. With that being said, a leader should always be aware of who is looking up to them and set a good example so their influence is a positive one.

• Barry Ricketts

The leadership characteristic that resonated the most to me during Chancellor Johnson’s presentation was integrity. To have integrity means to have a quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness. I believe that having integrity is a lost trait in today’s society because for jobs, education purposes, and greed everyone is only looking to better themselves instead of others. The leadership quality that I feel I should work on is becoming a better overall leader. In many ways I feel that I am not consistent as a leader and its probably because of me not taking things as serious as I should. In order for me to do that ill have to look at the bigger picture of a situation instead of handling situations how I am doing them now.

• Macie Snowden

One of the leadership characteristics the chancellor discussed was taking risks. This is an area I know I need to work on to become a better leader. I am very “by the book,” I like to make lists, and I prefer things to follow the agenda created. I need to learn to be more relaxed and just let things happen. Yes, it is beneficial to have a schedule of events and strict organization, but sometimes you have to improvise. Instead of improvising, may times I tend to just freak out. I feel if I can learn this skill, it will immensely improve my leadership capabilities.

• Mary Schwager

I really enjoyed his explanation of the importance of listening. Being a good listener will lead to being a more effective leader. Being a good listener shows that no one person has a strong hold on all areas of life, which endears leaders to their followers, that they are not all knowing. No one can do it all by themselves.

I feel that I need to develop a middle balance between having a strong vision and being a Debby-downer about logistics. I either have really out of the ordinary off the chart ideas or I get bogged down in the details, and lose hope that the project will ever succeed.

• Chase Gulliver

In his presentation, Chancellor Johnson gave the statement that “No one is a single collection of great ideas.” In my opinion, this was very applicable to my own life and my own perception of my leadership style and ideas. Many times, I find myself in a situation where “great ideas” are the most sought after item presently. As well, I find that I’m usually the member of a group that contributes the least amount of “great ideas.” It’s definitely food for thought, and a little bit relieving to hear that not always having the greatest of ideas is acceptable, and not something detrimental. Sometimes I’m a bit hard on myself, to the point where I stifle my contributions, because I don’t have a high level of confidence in my ideas.

• Chase Gulliver

In his presentation, Chancellor Johnson gave the statement that “No one is a single collection of great ideas.” In my opinion, this was very applicable to my own life and my own perception of my leadership style and ideas. Many times, I find myself in a situation where “great ideas” are the most sought after item presently. As well, I find that I’m usually the member of a group that contributes the least amount of “great ideas.” It’s definitely food for thought, and a little bit relieving to hear that not always having the greatest of ideas is acceptable, and not something detrimental. Sometimes I’m a bit hard on myself, to the point where I stifle my contributions, because I don’t have a high level of confidence in my ideas. However, it is still something I could learn to develop. Ideas are crucial to the beginning of any project, and lacking in this area could definitely have its downside.

• Blakely Elliott

The quality that I think I am good at is being passionate. I am very passionate about everything that I do, and if I find that I am not passionate about it then I remove myself because someone else who has more passion for it would do a better job. For example, I decided to step down from one of my positions recently because I realized I wasn’t as passionate about it as I thought. I found it unfair to do something half heartedly when someone else could do better. One thing I think I could better at is taking risks. I tend to always take the easy route or the one I have done before and know will work. Although this is successful, I know I would experience more growth if I stepped out of my comfort zones and took risks. I would also probably meet other successes in ways I wouldn’t expect if I took risks.

• Kat Hartley

The leadership quality that resonated with me the most from Chancellor Johnsons speech would have to be communication. Communication in a professional or casual setting. I believe that my best quality as a person is my ability to talk to anyone and communicate what I am feeling as well as listen to what others are feeling. The leadership quality I struggle the most with would have to be handling confrontation. I am always one who wants a smooth sail, knowing that wont always be the case. some times for things in a business or situation, conflict must occur to solve the problem and better the work.

• Bailee Bronson

The quality that most resonated with me was the quality of doing your part in creating an effective team. Our group projects have been somewhat of an exciting challenge in which I had to stretch my team-building muscles. Group projects do not come naturally to me, as I am most comfortable with gathering research on my own and doing what needs to be done from there. However, I realize that in order to be a good leader, I must step outside of my comfort zone and take the chance and share the responsibility and experience with others. The quality mentioned by Chancellor Johnson that I most need to work on is being a good listener. As previously mentioned, I like to take action and in a group setting, this can often be translated into taking control. Having good listening skills is essential in nearly every aspect of life, including school, the workplace, in the home and on the streets. I was immensely honored to learn leadership qualities from such a supreme leader, such as Chancellor Glen Johnson.

• Rachel Meyer

One quality that Chancellor Johnson mentioned was being passionate and sincere about your intentions and what you do. I believe this is extremely important because a great, successful leader has a strong drive and passion for what they choose to do and to lead others to do. If a leader does not show this, many may be reluctant to follow because of a lack of sincerity. I know this is an aspect of leadership that I sometimes struggle with. I may take on a responsibility before I actually know if it’s something that I truly care about or not. It can also be difficult to lead with complete sincerity because by human nature we are motivated by other negative factors such as money or personal gain. In order to be a true, honest leader, I believe that one should believe in and have a strong passion for the aspect in which they are leading others towards.

• Sidra Mesiya

A leadership quality that he mentioned that I need to better develop is becoming a better listener. Being a good and active listener is a very important characteristic for a leader to have. A leader needs to be able to hear and understand the demands and wishes of his followers. A leader gains valuable information from listening to his people. He learns the people’s desires and goals, their feelings and opinions, and most importantly, their input and advice. Sometimes, I ignore what other people are trying to tell me, especially when they are giving me good advice. I need to learn to listen and accept advice and hear the needs of other people.

• Freshta Nematzadeh

Chancellor Johnson was a great speaker in our Lessons in Leadership class who happens to be a large leader in our community. While listening to his speech, one thing that really stood out to be was his stance on what makes a leader. He made it clear that he was only stating his opinion on what qualities a true leader may have. He said that leadership is an influence (when asked if leaders are born or raised to be such). He also said that leaders are often good listeners and recognize the value a good support. This resonated with me because i truly believe that good people have good intentions, and good leaders are able to lead a group of individuals towards the common good. This goes along with Mister Johnson saying that leaders may be strong (Adolf Hitler) but may not have good intentions, and important quality in a leader. It is very important for leaders to be trustworthy and possess good characteristics to make an impact on people and to provide a strong stance for change. These values not only make for good personality traits, but good leadership traits as well.

• Monica Farquhar

One quality that resonated with me was the importance of being passionate. Passion is the spark that starts the fire of something great and life changing. Without passion, interest isn’t kept and it becomes more difficult to stay engaged in a task. The greatest leaders are the most passionate, they show the desire to be different and be the change they want to see in the world. From the chancellors lecture, what I think I need to work on the most as a leader is seizing the moment. I often find myself worrying about the future or clinging on to the past instead of appreciating the present moment. I would like to work on living in the moment so that I can appreciate the people around me and make memories that last a life time!

• Cash Deitz

I think that i am a good team player, and also I am good at including everyone. I am not shy usually when it comes to jobs that not many people want to do, and I have many times “taken one for the team.” I love inclusion and allowing everyone to have fun and participate. Including everyone can really make an individuals day and make them happy. Something I could improve on is my passion. I am passionate about many things but I am not always physically outgoing for them. I fear being obnoxious and annoying but I shouldn’t fear this if I am passionate about something. I just dislike being all up in someones face.

• Kennedy Lehew

One of the things Chancellor Johnson said that stood out to me was that a good leader should be able to build effective teams. A leader always needs a group of people with them. It is very hard to lead when you’re the only person leading. It also good to get others’ opinions, advice, and help instead of having “it’s my way or the highway” attitude. Chancellor Johnson said that a leader with a good vision is good, unless their team isn’t working towards the goal. I think another thing that goes along with having a team with you is making sure that everyone is all striving for a common goal.

• Katelyn LanCaster

Among the numerous qualities that Chancellor Glen Johnson made, being passionate and sincere resonated with me the most. It is so important to be passionate in everything that you do and to be sincere with those around you. Passion happens to be the one I need to work on. I do have passion for different things, but I need to find more passion in the every day projects and learn to sustain it. By developing this characteristic, I think I will be able to stay on task better and be an overall more enthusiastic person.

• mason thompson

Something that the chancellor said about leadership was the ability to know your strengths. This personally resonates with me because i believe that everyone should use there gifts to there full advantages, and work for the good of the team. i personally think that one of my strengths as a leader is working to make sure everyone is utilized. And an aspect of this that i need to work on is the ability to make sure all of the tasks at hand get accomplished in an organized fashion. I personally have to stay on top of things or else i will forget because i am ADD. Working through that is something i struggle with everyday.

• Michael Johnson

One of the characteristics that stuck out to me the most was to always try your best but you don’t have to be the best. I always want to be the best and sometimes my pride gets in the way and makes me want to be number one in everything I do. I feel this quality is not too bad, but to be the most efficient leader, you must learn to let others be number one. No one wants to follow an arrogant leader. To gain people’s trust faster, you must let them succeed and be congratulatory towards them.

• Chloe Freeman

The characteristic I liked the most during the lecture was that to be a leader, we must set good examples. To positively affect a group of people, we must have integrity and keep our word. We also should focus on the team and what their needs are. We shouldn’t be afraid to fail because failures make us stronger and we can learn for them and improve. One of the characteristics that i struggle with the most is seizing the moment. I often want to wait and think a idea or problem over before I react to it and sometimes that isn’t the smartest idea. I need to work on taking more risks in the moment instead of playing it safe.

• Ellie Schultz

Chancellor Johnson asked the question; Are leaders born or trained? I believe that a person is born with certain skills. For instance someone that is naturally good with meeting new people, or they are good at organizing. I think that there are many kinds of leaders. A leader is not confined to a college campus, making good grades, and being involved. I believe a true leader adapts. Whether that be working as a trainer at a zoo, flipping burgers, or being a parent. Leaders come from all difference areas sometimes without knowing they have followers. Someone that learns from the people around them how to lead and how to work well with others’ skills. So I guess my answer would have to be both. I believe we inherit amiable qualities to lead and we learn and grow from people that have lead before.

• The trait I resonated with was good listening. I feel like wih the skill of listening one is better able to connect to their followers and lead more efficierntly. I believe people are more motivated when they know their leader cares about them alon with carin about the goals of their team.

• The concept that resonates me is the the characteristic of influence. A leader is memorable. He is remembered from his or her strengths, and how they handle their weaknesses. I believe that is how a leader gets people together. I also like the point when he said leaders take risks, but calculate the chances of being successful. It’s similar to the Marine Corps. We pride ourselves on Mission accomplishment, and troop welfare. You have to adjust accordingly, but that’s when integrity kicks in. He says seize the moment. I enjoyed his enthusiasm for leadership, and cannot wait to apply his lesson to my leadership roles.

• JUNGHEE HONG

The chancellor Glen Johnson discussed some valued leadership qualities and characteristics during his presentation. I think “strong team help leader” resonated me the most. Even if the leader is very strong and wise, it’s impossible lead with others help. Often, leaders need help from experts and someone else. So, if leader has a strong team who helps the leader, the leader can be a better leader. And I think I need be more passionate sincere person. In my case, I am good at short-term project. However, I think I am not good at long-term project. I easily lose my interest on my long-term project. And since I am not good at long-term project, I sometimes can’t make a good conclusion on my work.

• Michael McClish

Among several key points, Chancellor Glenn Johnson stated that your word is your bond and that maintaining a high level of integrity is what makes a good leader. To me, this is a very powerful point, because many great men and women in history stuck by a high moral standard and in that they accomplished great things. I believe as I mature in my journey as a leader that an emphasis on standing by word and not only understanding what the meaning of integrity is, but also deliberately reminding myself that my integrity is my moral identification will set me on a path of righteous effectiveness. I do not believe that this means I will never fail, only that I will never fail to take responsibility of my place as a citizen in my community and for what I say I will accomplish.

• Sydney Richardson

One of the leadership qualities Glen Johnson expressed was that leadership is influence. A leader has followers and has to keep his or her reputation in line. A down fall of having the influence put on your shoulder is the pressure to do the right thing or to be perfect. For me personally I feel the need to be a perfect even though I know that I’m not. If I make mistakes and I know that others are watching me it makes feel like I’m not the leader I should be.

• Sadie Price

Chancellor Glen Johnson explains that being able to “seize the day” is a valued leadership quality. Taking control and having a “carpe diem” mindset helps to stand out. It provides you with the ability to strive for success and to pursue achievement. I often aim to accomplishment my day on a forward path. Johnson also explains that putting a team together is important. Team work symbolize a strength in communication. I often do things by myself because I believe that I am more capable than other; however, it doesn’t always give me an advantage. Not being able to work with a team often makes me fall short.