Week 3 Presentation – Bill Curry

Bill Curry mentioned discussed several vital topics in leadership. Choose one of the following and provide your thoughts on its application to your leadership journey.

1. There are two pains in life; the pain of discipline, the pain of regret – you choose.
2. The Cold Within Poem
3. Facing the Fellowship of the Miserable

• Jessica Matallana

“If we end, we end ourselves”, is a powerful quote from Bill Curry that will stay with me forever. Facing the Fellowship of the Miserable was probably the one that spoke to me the most. Personally, I am someone who is very dedicated and, therefore, too hard on myself sometimes. However, knowing that about myself, I’m able to block out and look beyond the words of the Fellowship of the Miserable. Moreover, this applies to my leadership journey by allowing me to push through adversity and overcome the struggles of life, especially when I feel alone.

• Macie Snowden

Bill mentioned how the fellowship of the miserable is only interested in telling you what you can’t do and constantly second guessing your decisions. I personally am a huge people pleaser. As I have began my leadership journey the past few years, I have learned I will never be able to please everyone, no matter how hard I try. I’m trying to learn that just because I listen to the words of the fellowship of the miserable in my life doesn’t mean I have to accept them. I think a vital aspect of leadership is decisiveness. There comes a time when I have to power through the negative comments people make or the gloomy attitudes that discourage me. There comes a time when I have to say, “I can.”

• Leila Mazkoori

One of the greatest qualities of human nature is that we have the ability to grow and change the world with just a simple idea. It is of my personal opinion that I believe anyone has the capability of making a difference. However, I also strongly believe that if you have the characteristics of person without compassion of kindness, the future that was originally meant for you, will slowly start to fade away.
    Now, what do I mean when I say that your future will start to fade away. Well, I do not mean it in a literal sense but more as a metaphor. You most likely will not die if you choose to be anti-social and cruel. However, on Tuesday morning, I listened to Bill Curry share the interesting poem, The Cold Within, that was about several men dying, all because they were to cold-hearted to lay the stick that they had obtained, and put it in the fire. If one of them had put aside their idiotic prejudice behavior, they could have all lived, but sense they could not get past the little things, they died. Most of us will never be put into such an extreme situation, but I chose this story because it shared incite of what could happen if you allow things like rage, or something petty to take over your heart.
    In conclusion, Mr. Curry’s story served the purpose that at the end of the day, we are all the same. We all bleed the color red, we all sweat the same, and we all have goals of our own. His story allowed me, and others if I may, to understand that as a leader to others, we should not let petty problems take over our hearts and lives, and keep us from accomplishing the task at hand, but rather we should grow and develop into a more generous, a more compassionate person and learn to understand one another.

• Emily Raynor

Thinking over Bill Curry’s speech, the point that stood out most to me was “there are only two pains in life; the pain of discipline and the pain of regret, you choose”. As a previous leader of my highschool and my community, I have somewhat experienced both. When I was younger, I chose the pain of regret. By choosing this option, I never learned from my mistakes and constantly felt down about myself. As I grew older and matured to be the person I am today, I “converted” over to the pain of discipline. With this pain, I not only learn from my mistakes, but I do my best from preventing them from happening again and moving on with life in a positive manner.

• Clayeton Hammock

I am going to give my thoughts on the Cold From Within poem. I think this poem really related with the topic we discussed today in class, citizenship and the selfishness of our community. Within our society, a lot of people are looking out for themselves and not what is in the best interest of the group. As a leader, we need to be the ones to step forward and be fearless enough to go where others might be scared to. I think that leadership and being selfless go hand-in-hand. Many people today are strictly concerned with the betterment of themselves and not the group as a whole. This type of thinking will only cause more harm. If we can be the first one to put our stick on the fire and show people that we are stronger if we all work together, that is when we can accomplish things far greater than we could on our own.

• Lexi Carroll

The Fellowship of the Miserable was what caught my attention during his speech. It made me reflect on the people I surround myself with daily. The group of people who make fun of you for doing what is right or talk down to you and tell you you’re crazy for wanting to chase those wild dreams of yours are the “Fellowship of the Miserable.” Those type of “friends” make you second guess yourself when really you should have the upmost belief in your capabilities. I believe that the most important characteristic a leader can possess is the wisdom to choose the friends who will help you stay on the right path rather than stray away from your potential. Without a caring and trustworthy support system, your goals become harder to attain. And as a leader, your job is to help others seek their own potential and encourage them to strive for something bigger than themselves.

• Tyler Curry

I think the topic I was able to reflect the most on during Bill Curry’s speech was faceing the fellowship of the miserable. Personally, I can’t stand people telling me what and what I shouldn’t do in life and sometimes just on a daily basis. Its a challenge to go against what the crowd says, but sometimes we just have to ignore it and move in the direction we know is right for us. This can especially be hard when it’s people we’re close to and maybe even family. I know there’s been times when my own parents have questioned my decisions, but in the end they were my choices to make for better or worse. Sometimes the bad decision is what makes us stronger for the next decision and the obstacles in our path. You are who you make yourself out to be, but the path to be that person is normally not the easiest.

• Ocean Scheel

On my leadership journey, the biggest hardship that I face is the one I create for myself. When I fail to fully dedicate myself to a goal, or I make choices that wander from my faith, loyalty, knowledge of what is right, or standards, I am merely forcing myself into the heart aching pain of regret. Just this week I found so many ways that Bill Curry’s words, “There are two pains. .” apply to my everyday life. Whenever I stray from the healthy food at Buddy’s, or opt out on opportunities to talk to my parents on the phone, I immediately feel the pain of regret seeping in, and it’s in those moments that I know the pain of discipline is truly worth it. Thankfully these every day choices are small reversible faults in my character, but practicing discipline so that my leadership abilities will not waver in times of struggle later on is a far more serious matter.

• Chase Gulliver

The fellowship of the miserable is such a hard concept to understand for most people. Why would someone waste their life away, for such a purpose as to bring others down with them? What is it that makes them feel so obligated to tear others apart to make themselves feel better. It’s as simple as the term it’s described by: they’re miserable. Outwardly, and even consciously, they may not realize it, but don’t we all tend to look for the weaknesses in others to make ourselves feel more secure, whether we admit to it or not? Sometimes it takes all of our willpower and strength to ever want to do something good for those people, but if we don’t, who will? We’re selfish to think that someone like that has any less reason to be loved and cared for than anyone else, and that’s what holds us back. So many times we refuse to look past the obvious and realize that we’re all hurting inside, we’ve all got pain that we hide from the light, and we’re all so imperfect that we’re the same. Taking the negative things in our lives as opportunity rather than an obstacle, is what can lead us to greatness at an even faster pace.

• Jordan Michela

All leaders obtain different qualities. For example, some leaders may be outgoing and love to give presentations while others might want to do the hard work behind the scenes. Whatever the case may be I believe that a true leader needs to be able to fellowship with the miserable. Now what does that really mean? It’s getting out of our comfort zone, putting your pride aside and welcoming the people that may not be the same as you. For example, for the past couple of years my church has gone to downtown Indianapolis, Indiana to work with the homeless but also women and children in projects. I could have told myself that I was better than those people because of what material things I have or the way I look but it came to my knowledge that we are all God’s children. We have to be able to not just lead others but relate to their situation, show them that we care. I truly believe that in doing this a person can reach more individuals than ever they ever imagined.

• Jameson Riley

First of all, wow. Although just a video of Curry, his thoughts and words have resonated in my mind since Tuesday and will continue to throughout my leadership journey. The poem he used as a metaphor is such a profound and true statement. We don’t die from the cold without, we die from the cold within. There’s hardly anything else worth saying but I will say a few thoughts about my own personal journey in leadership.
    In my life, and experiences in leadership, what I have found is that the hardest thing for people to do in life is to put their feet on in front of the other and start taking action. So much of this world is all talk. So much planning, and so much thinking goes into events or businesses but the next step is something people find it so hard to do. Do it. People overthink things or talk themselves out of action and end up never getting anything done because they are too afraid to step outside of their comfort zones and take action to make a difference. Passion is one of the most powerful forces in our world, but without taking action all passion amounts to is good conversation. Just get up, go out, and do it.

• Hung-Lin (Jimmy) Lai

I really agree with the two pains in life. The pain of regret is oftentimes not desirable then the pain of discipline. I grew up in Taiwan where the culture is more strict and the disciplines from my parents were tough but that is what created my work ethic. On the other hand, the poem served as a reminder to me that help others whenever you can. It is like the saying, “You help yourself by helping others.”

• Jessica Solis

The video of Bill Curry was extremely inspiring, his analogies to football and huddles could not have been more spot on. The Cold Within poem Bill Curry used as a metaphor was such a profound statement. He said “throw your log in the fire, no matter the amount you have to supply.” This has stuck with me since Tuesday. In today’s society people talk about making a difference and plan out ways to make a difference but never follow through with those plans. When he mentioned this statement it took me a minute to realize that I have infact done the same thing. I realized that sometimes I didn’t take the first step to throw my log into the fire, I would wait for someone else to first. Realizing this about myself is how I am going to apply this into my leadership journey and become a better leader. Being a leader is being able to step up and be the first to throw your log in the fire even if it might not make a huge difference atleast it made a difference.

• Sidra Mesiya

Bill Curry’s speech was amazing! It was so powerful and it really spoke to me, especially his proclamation about the two pains in life. “There are two pains in life; the pain of discipline, the pain of regret – you choose.” I think this is so important to understand as leaders because there are so many opportunities that we can take advantage of. However, opportunities require discipline. We need to be organized and prioritize our time. We need to be consistent and dependable. We need to work hard on everything that we do. Without discipline, the opportunities will pass us by and we will regret it later on. So it really comes down to what kind of pain we are willing to suffer: the pain of discipline in which we take on opportunities with 100% effort or the pain of regret in which we are careless and let opportunities slip through our fingers. As a leader, I strive to be the one who feels the pain of discipline because I do not want to live life regretting the past when I could be working towards a better future.

• Rachel Meyer

When Bill Curry spoke of the Cold Within poem, and began to elaborate on it, I realized that I partially struggle with that aspect in my own leadership journey. Coming from someone who loves to perform on a stage, I often love the feeling of others recognizing my talents or work. This was sometimes shown in my leadership ethic because I occasionally would end up having the “what’s in it for me” attitude instead of just choosing to help others regardless of the glory. More recently in life I’ve learned the value of being the first one to step up and make a difference, no matter what I receive in return. The metaphor of “throwing your log on the fire” encourages me to continue to grow as a leader by not hesitating to help others due to my own selfish needs.

• Emily Dunlevy

Bill Curry’s presentation has been my favorite presentation so far because he was so enthusiastic about his career. He was passionate about what he was doing, that is what I strive to do in my life; I want to be in a career field that interests me every day. I think that the idea of the fellowship of the miserable is most applicable to my leadership journey because people are always going to be around telling you that you that you aren’t good enough or that you don’t have to right qualities to fill that position. As a leader, you have to be strong enough to stand up to the fellowship and prove them wrong no matter how much they push you around. I will be applying to nursing school within the next few semesters and until I am accepted into this competitive program, I will have to deal with people telling me that I am not smart enough or that I don’t have the right experiences to be accepted into the program. I will mentally fight the fellowship of the miserable and do my best to prove them wrong. I will grow as a leader through this because I will be able to continue on with a project through adversities and negativity thrown my way.

• Deven Bond

Bill Curry was a very powerful speaker and the poem he read really grabbed my attention. In “The Cold Within,” each person saw the differences among them. There was a poor man, rich man, black, white, and because they were different, not one person wanted to help another out, even if it meant losing their life. Throughout my journey of being a leader, I have realized that no matter the stereotypical category a person falls under, he/she should be treated just the same as everyone else. Every single person on this planet is different in some way so as a leader I’ve learned to see that and to love the individuals that I interact with equally. Also, I would like to believe that if I was put in this situation I would be the one to throw the first log in the fire. As I leader I am supposed to set an example for others to follow. That small group only needed one leader to step up and do what was right. In this world today there are tons of self-centered, judgmental people, but I believe a leader should put others before themselves and never discriminate. Hopefully throughout my leadership journey I can influence others to share my same beliefs of selflessness and equality.

• Ellie Schultz

Bill Curry recited the poem The Cold from Within. In America we have this assumption that freedom actually is free. Now no one would ever say that and I don’t mean to disregard the sacrifices of so many that fight for my freedom, but personally my actions reflect the thought that I deserve this. I want to believe I live in a way that takes every opportunity to be appreciative of the rights I have but so many times my selfishness and thoughtlessness gets in the way. I strive to be a leader by being grateful for what I have and displaying that in everyday life. It all comes down to if I’m willing to sacrifice what I want for others. I don’t want America to go down as the country with more than we could ever have and yet want more for ourselves. If one example could change that I want to be the one to stand up and say I’ll make that change. Now I know Americans are not the only selfish people and that human nature is this way but I hope to be the person that takes the first step or in this case the one to throw in my log.

• Haley McKinzie

As Mr. Curry said, “Fellowship of the miserable says, you can’t do it.” I can honestly say that as I have grown older I have learned that it is okay to not please everyone you encounter. Sometimes going against the grain and doing what you know is best is a lot tougher than following the crowd, but more rewarding in the end. A bible verse that I remind myself of daily is 1 Corinthians 15:33, which says “Bad company corrupts good character.” Throughout my leadership journey I am aware that I will not always be surrounded by encouraging people, but I will not take their discouraging words to heart.

• Zack Simmons

When Bill Curry mentioned pain of discipline and the pain regret, it really hit home. I went to a private high school that instilled discipline in school and had a football coach who was a huge discipline guy. Our football practices were extremely hard and I there were days where all us players would discuss why our coach makes practice so hard and why we would have to run so many sprints after we just finished running a no huddle offense for an hour and a half. Of course, at the time, mom of his discipline speeches ever made since to me. But after we always ended our season with a state championship or a long run in the playoffs I understand why we did all of that hardwork and sometimes monotonous work. Then, when I went to play college ball at a program that wasn’t very good and, of course, didn’t ever have a winning season, our coach did not teach discipline. And that season we only one 2 games. Now it makes complete sense of enduring the pain of discipline and reaping a harvest then slacking off and regretting the outcome.

• Micah Jones

Bill’s talk over the Fellowship of the Miserable intrigued me. He said to think in terms beyond the Fellowship of the Miserable. I decided to look into this term a little bit more. It seems usually be used in reference to sports. I found a video of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino talking over this topic. Rick believes that this fellowship is taking over our society. He referenced to his coaching career with the New York Knicks and how they, at one point, were on a 26 game winning streak. To his surprise, when Rick would listen to sports radio, all the comments coming in were negative. People calling in were wanting Rick fired for “wearing down the players” and claiming that they won’t have anything left for the end of the season. This is when he realized that this would be the last time that he listens to the Fellowship of the Miserable. I believe that both Bill and Rick are making the same point: listening to that fellowship will discourage and get a person no where further in life. Being a person in that fellowship is even worse. Those people live sad lives with high egos and low self-esteem. Everything they do is propelled by stress and they want to blame all of their problems on someone else. So, back to what Bill had said, think in terms beyond the fellowship. This means living in a way that is positive, selfless and benificial to others. This is critical to being a leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGe1idxGv8

• Delaney Denham

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation. The one point he made that really stuck out to was about the Fellowship of the Miserables.Every leader is going to face people who don’t agree with their views or ideas. You have to do what you believe is right, even if it’s completely different than what everyone else thinks. It’ll be hard but if you truly believe in what you think, it shouldn’t matter what everyone else thinks. By standing up for your ideas and opinions, you will become a stronger person.

• Marielle Jackson

In my life, Mr. Curry’s points of “The pain of discipline and the pain of regret” are the points most prominent in my leadership journey. I often find myself having a hard time with motivation, or discipline, and what comes along with that. Sometimes I have to refocus my attention on what is really important and what is going to most benefit the people around me, instead of myself. It’s a tough lesson, as a leader, to learn that when you don’t necessarily perform your job like or how you said you would, that other people around you suffer. I think that also ties in with “the pain of regret.” It’s such a burden to always regret. So, the solution for me is to take every opportunity I can to improve the world around me. It’s important to “seize the day” so that I may never live with “the pain of regret.”

• Mary Schwager

I really got a lot out of Curry’s speech (beyond the fact I loved his football references). The point that resonated with me the most in a leadership sense was the log on the fire. If you are working in combination with others, if they see you give all you have, all your talents, holding nothing back, to the common cause, they will begin to absorb your enthusiasm and dedication. Leadership, when it comes to standing for things especially, is like throwing a log onto fire. You can’t set your log there and hang on to it- either hold it independently or let it go all in. You can’t have one foot floating and the other rooted in leadership- both must be made stable.

• Sabrina Bermudez

I left class on Tuesday feeling fired up to accomplish goals that I didn’t think I was capable of either because of my own self doubt or the doubt others have in me. Even though I left feeling ready to take on the world, I’m realizing today that the fellowship of the miserable already got a hold of me. I already am finding a lack of confidence in the things I want to be able to do because “it’s not realistic”. Trying to step up in different organizations and take on leadership roles sounds intimidating now because of how hard everyone makes it sound. I’m constantly warned to balance my time and to not get overly committed, which is great advice, but I’ve heard very little encouragement. I don’t think we should build or destroy ourselves based on what other say, but the lack of encouragement has made me aware of how we impact others with our responses to their dreams. Do I encourage or do I warn? Can our good intentions contribute to the fellowship of the miserable? I believe they can, which is why it’s important to be aware of others and their passions so we aren’t added to the number in their head that tells them they can’t do something.

• Stephanie Nutter

Mr. Curry mentioned choosing the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. This applied to my leadership journey the most. When I was younger I had many opportunities to take charge of a group but didn’t because I was too worried I wasn’t qualified for the position. I would later regret it . So now that I’m older I’ve learned to become more self confident in my leadership abilities to avoid that regret. I would rather fail after giving a job all my effort than deal with the pain of thinking about about how great it might have been.

• Sydney Richardson

Bill Curry’s message left me feeling like a brand new leader, with new material to use for myself and for the world. He told us a poem of men who’s selfishness not only killed them all physically but expressed how they were already dead inside by not willing to give up their own logs to keep the fire warm because of the people around the fire. What I got from this message is that if you’re not willing to give up your time and patience and in some cases material things you’re not fit to be a leader. Leaders are those who are there for others in times of need and distress. Some thing leaders should always remember is “If not for yourself, do it for the brother/sister next to you.” Be selfless and know there’s always someone who will need your help.

• Angela Thampi

What applied to me most during Bill Curry’s speech was the Cold Within poem. There were many aspects of the poem that really made me think of the kind of person I was. It made me wonder if I were in that situation, what would I do? Would I let my pride get to me and hold on to my log, or would I work for the greater good and be the first to put it down? When pondering this, I started to understand how significant this poem is. It helps me remember the type of person that I should always strive to be. Obviously, I want to be willing to put personal differences aside to help not only myself, but the others around me. Through my journey as a leader, I feel like this poem is something I can always look back on to guide me in the right direction.

• Kalen Russell

The cold within poem, symbolizes the human instinct to put self-interest before the interest of the group. As a leader I must remain committed to doing the right thing regardless of the consequences. History has shown us that sacrificing for the greater good is necessary for societal progress. Greats like Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Abraham Lincoln had faith that their sacrifices were contributions to something bigger than themselves. It is my responsibility to lay the first log on the fire, for those who will reap its benefits today and for the prosperity of future generations. I am not content to be a cold bystander and take life as it is. This poem reminds me to be that catalyst of change, a spark of light in a dim world, illuminating the way for someone else to do the same.

• Chloe Freeman

Mr. Curry talked a lot about leadership and taking initiative to do the right thing. When he recited the poem “the cold within”, it made me really think about how we act in society. The poem is trying to tell us that we shouldn’t think about where others come from or how they are different than us. We must put aside all differences in order to build a better society. This had a huge impact on me because often I am more focused on how the situation will effect me. I need to focus more on the people around me and how I can help them. The most important part about being a leader is if others can rely on you. We need to treat our neighbor better than we would treat ourself in order to make our community worth living in.

• Kennedy Lehew

Bill Curry mentioned facing the fellowship of the miserable. To me, i think that every leader has to deal with this issue. I have learned that it is so hard to please everyone. When the people that you did not please are putting you down, it can be so hard and frustrating. As leaders, we have to ignore those comments. Our first instinct is to immediately say a comeback. If we are true leaders, we have to show our leadership by loving on those people, and showing that their words don’t bother you. I have learned that if someone is trying to put you down, there is a reason why they are doing it. This is why we need to still love them. Just like how Mr. Curry referenced the bible, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” No matter what people do or say to you, you cannot let it stop you & you have to “kill them with kindness”

• Bailee Bronson

In Mr. Curry’s speech, the fact that there are two pains in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret stuck out to me, because I have experienced both of these multiple times throughout my life. The harsh nature of this remark stems from the fact that what you do with your life is completely up to you. In other words, everyone has the same amount of hours in a day, some just use their allotted and precious hours more sacredly. Through my journey as a leader, I have regretted not attending a volunteer event or have not put others first; these both, though varying in importance, caused me personal pain and regret. Thankfully, my Christian foundation has saved me from acting (or not acting) on an impulse or feeling that would completely destroy my credibility. An example of when I endured the pain of discipline for the greater good was when my mother divorced and I had to step up as the role model for my little siblings; it was surely stressful having the spotlight on myself like that, but now I know that I have done the right thing for my family. Perhaps this pain of discipline has formed me into the driven leader that I am today, and will help flourish the leader that I aspire to be. I hope to be the leader that is in a constant mental battle between the two pains, but always chooses discipline, thus bettering my community and the world as a whole.

• What stood out to me the most was that he made a choice of discipline and regret. Sometimes that isn’t just something where you choose one path. Some have to go down both to really understand leadership. Some people have lived the path of regret their whole lives but have had to switch paths to better themselves as a leader. While he did get his point across I believe it isn’t a choice of one or the other I just believe it is a choice of one and then the other.

• Kat Hartley

Hearing Mr. Curry’s speech was very moving to me. The part I took most to was hearing the poem of The Cold Within. The story was of all the different men having logs for the fire, but all being equally as selfish with it. Because of their selfishness, they all die frozen around a fire pit with no fire. I think this jumped out most to me because I realize that if any group of people were trying to work together, being selfish is the last thing you can be. You can’t have a fantastic big burning fire that might save your life, without having people willing contribute their logs to it. If our generation showed to be one of the most humble and willing ones, the amount of things we could accomplish would be legendary.

• Lauren McKenzie

Curry had a very powerful message on the realities of life and true leadership. He was very real with us on how our country has ended up so selfish, and not thinking of others. He recited a poem called “The Cold Within” which paints a picture of what it looks like to be selfish. The poem is about men who are sitting around a fire, but for there own selfish reasons do not add their own wood to the fire. The fire soon dies out and so do the men. If one of the men would have simply put their piece of wood on the fire it would have been a chain reaction and they all could have survived through the night. This happens a lot in life, people hold onto to their own resources out of selfishness or spite, but in order to make a difference we have to use our resources and generosity. It may be true that one person can’t change the world, but one person’s actions can spark a flame inside the people around them in order to get others involved in a cause to then change the world. True leaders have time for everyone, and spend their resources even if they have none left for themselves.

• I think, for me personally, the poem The Cold Within had the most impact on me. I’m the youngest out of my siblings, and I’ve also been a little bit, well, full of myself. So sometimes it’s very hard to get away from thinking, “What’s in it for me?” and start thinking, “What’s in it for everyone?” I think The Cold Within really helps to sortof serve as a warning against the dangers of maintaining such selfish thoughts and desires. As a leader, it’s especially important that I work for others and not for my own gain, and so every reminder about the need to be compassionate and selfless is, I think, a crucial reminder. As I continue to work towards becoming a better leader, I will definitely keep the poem in mind, and spread it arround. Humans are naturally both selfish and selfless, but when we ignore the selfishness inside of oyurselves and work on emphasizing the selflessness, we can achieve true greathness.

• Bill Murray’s statements on the “fellowship of the miserable” were something I found extremely interesting. I feel that we, as a society, have become very apathetic and have given into the fellowship’s doubting way to often. If you look around the world today, especially in America, we find people saying “thats not my problem” or “why should I care?” and these are the exact thoughts of the fellowship. The Fellowship of the Miserable wants us to ask these things instead of acting on them. The Fellowship wants us to spend so much time in our apathy that the problem passes us by because we doubt there is anything we can do about it. I think the idea of apathy is perfectly summed up in the idea of the fellowship and is a great wake up call to what we are becoming– slaves to our own laziness and doubts.

• I feel that “The Cold Within” was an accurate description of humanities bitterness within the human spirit and it’s attitude towards anything that isn’t complete self gain. There is always a reason to not care, or to not reach out and put your (metaphorical) logs on the wood. But every person in this world is selfish for the reason that they don’t think that anyone is worth investing in. We as humans don’t want to tell others they are worth it, because we feel that we as individuals are worth it. We have no self confidence, or we are trying to prove to the world that we are cool, or worth it, that we try to belittle people so we feel better about ourselves. I feel the person who I most relate to is the last one mentioned, whom this was said:

The last man of this forlorn group
    Did naught except for gain
    Giving only to those who gave
    Was how he played the game.

Unless we all as humans can see into other people’s potential, and have already established self confidence, we will all die from the cold within.

• Out of all the great points Bill Curry made, the fellowship of the miserable resonated with me the most. As leaders we face the them every day. Personally, I have had trouble in the past facing them when it came to actually setting and achieving high goals. I believe it is extremely important that we remind ourselves that we are leaders and can accomplish whatever we set our minds to. Our confidence in ourselves will inspire others to be confident in us.

• Cambrea Lott

I really enjoyed Mr. Curry’s reference to “The Cold Within” poem, and I found it applicable to my leadership journey in so many aspects. From the poem, we can conclude how vital it is to take risks as a leader and as a person, as well as the importance of recognizing what one has and using it for the better of others. If one of the people in the poem would have taken a risk and thrown their log in the fire, even if their log had been more like a twig, the outcome of the situation could have been entirely different. As leader, it is our jobs to be bold and fearless for the sake of others and ourselves, even if the act of boldness isn’t huge or reciprocated. I’ll always remember that poem now and hopefully realize and take the opportunity to throw my log into the fire.

• Michael McClish

During Bill Curry’s presentation, he made a very profound statement. Curry said that there are two pains in life; the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. I feel this statement likely hit home with everyone in the audience, but I can only speak for myself when I say that that statement changed my very outlook on making the right choices when it comes to the little things. It’s often times easy to blow off home work, or show up a little late to class, or simply not show at all. But I guess that’s where the discipline comes in. It’s hard to discipline oneself to commit to doing the right thing all of the time-just as it is hard to deal with regretting doing the wrong thing later down the road. I feel the pain of regret is much more painful than the pain of discipline. If I make myself do the right things now, if I work through the pain of discipline, I will not have to live with the pain of regret in the future. This idea is easy to wrap one’s mind around and isn’t some well kept secret. The trouble is addressing that this is a real struggle and then acting on it. Now that it has been brought to my attention, I think I can make more productive decisions; recognizing that I do not want future regrets.

• Freshta Nematzadeh

Reflecting back on Bill Curry’s speech, i remember him saying that you have two pains in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. This an be applied to the life of a leader in many ways. A leader will experience true discipline throughout the course of a lifetime. Just as a leader is not born in one day, you cannot expect a person to go through life without making mistakes. Discipline is a character that teaches us although we may have lost and suffered, to learn from that mistake and grow stronger. The pain or regret is a worse feeling, as you may continue to dwell and never regain that strength to build yourself back up again. Bill Curry mentions to choose from the two pains in life because you simply can either learn from being disciplined, or regret, and suffer from the chance to become a better leader in life.

• The “Fellowship of the Miserable” was a concept that I connected with immediately. Early in my high school years, before I figured out that I wanted to be a leader in any capacity, I often let the Fellowship drag me down. This is a group of people that can easily get in the way of what you want by offering an alternative route of complaining about a situation and not pursuing active paths to achievement. I have found myself being pulled toward this group many times throughout my journey and it definitely takes a sense of purpose and a willingness to rise above to defeat the pull. That quality, that persistence through the enticements and the taunts of the “Fellowship of the Miserable” is a very important quality in a leader.

• Blakely Elliott

I think the statement that stayed with me the most since watching the video is the statement about there only being two pains in life, pain of disciple and pain of regret. That statement rings so true in my leadership journey. There have been multiple times where I won’t apply for something or put myself out there because “it’s too hard” but then after I don’t do it I get mad at myself because I know I could’ve done it. In every situation you are going to experience one of these pains. If you do it, it’s going to be hard and take discipline but if you don’t do it you’ll end up being mad at yourself. I had never really thought of it like that but after hearing him say it and then spent some time thinking about, it’s 100% true. In leadership roles but also just in every day life. “Should I study like I’m suppose to so I can get an A?” “Or should I not study and then get a bad grade and regret it?” If we give everything our all in all we do, we won’t have to feel the pain of regret.

• Bill mentioned the pain of regret and that really made me think about things I wish I could take back in life. That lecture taught me that being forgiven isnt something thats promised whenever you do something wrong. Being an adult that makes frequent mistakes ive grown to understand that , learn from the situation, and move on. I appreciate everyone who took the time out to come to the lecture and blog about this. If youre reading this thanks bud.

• The Cold Within Poem was the element of Mr.Curry’s speech that really stuck out to me. I liked the message from it because, it is a harsh but, well-needed wake up call to the selfish world that we live in. In order to ever be a fully successful society, people in leadership roles must stand up and show that to be a good leader you must give back to others. If leaders show that contributing to society not only helps others, but it will also help them, people will feel more inclined to give to others as well. Once people understand that selflessness is the key to true success, the world will be a much happier, more successful, place.

• Michael Johnson

There are two pains in life; the pain of discipline, the pain of regret – you choose.
    This sentence was very thought provoking to me. I have had my share of regrets in life, but I have also been very disciplined. Whenever I was disciplined through the rough times, it made the reward much more glorious. As my leadership journey goes on, I will look at situations and buy into to everything I do, so I don’t have to look back and regret when I can look forward and gain something positive out of every situation.

• “There are two pains in life; the pain of discipline, the pain of regret – you choose.” I believe that quote applies not only to my leadership journey, but also to life in general. There is a lot of truth that simple quote. One of the central six is “Discipline Knowledge.” I feel the reason one of the pains is discipline is because sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the sake of what you wan to accomplish. Academics is number one in life right now. So a lot of the times you have to say “no” to cerain events so you can focus on school. And in a leadership role it can’t be all fun and games to accomplish a task. The other pain is regret. There are a lot of opportunities as leaders and if you miss those, it can effect you in the long run. I really enjoyed the speech and motivated to re-evaluate my leadership abilities.

• JUNGHEE HONG

If I have to choose the pain of discipline and the pain of regret, I will choose pain of discipline . If I had chance to do something and if I didn’t do that. And actually that is really helpful for me, I just regret for not doing. I lost important chances. I really liked and agreed on saying “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” As the saying mean, to be a good leader, it is essential to experience a lot whether it is good or bad. However, during disciplined, even if it’s hard, I can learned from the discipline. In order to lead other, the pain of regret would be helpful because I can help people based on the discipline.

• Mason Thompson

We as humans will end ourselves. This was one of the general themes of Bill Curry’s speech that he gave, something that he went on to say was do not listen to those who doubt you. As leaders we sometimes come up with things that some people might believe to be impossible or outlandish and as leaders we are there to say it can be done and I will do everything in my power to see that it does get done. There are always going to doubters, which goes to say that there is pain in leadership. The two main types of pain are pain in discipline and pain in regret as said by Mr Curry. I personally have experience in the pain of discipline, being a wrestler I have grown up knowing that maintaining a healthy lifestyle sometimes can be hard and sometimes having to say no to the pizza or burger is hard, but knowing that the greater outcome is near and it will be worth the sacrifice in the here and now. This is true in everyday life, as a leader it is good to gain the ability to tell people no no matter how difficult that may be.

• Sadie Price

The pain of discipline, to me, is a pain that hurts, but it’s only like a slap in the hand. It may bring you back to reality from being ridiculous, but you always recover because what you’ve done in the past, is a result of yourself taking a chance and making a decision. Now the pain of regret, in my opinion, is the worst pain of them all. In this instance, you completely wish you could redo your life and take back what, at one point in time, made you the happiest person on earth. Everyone should be comfortable with their own decisions and confident enough to keep them. And when not only everyone hated your decision, but you hated and regretted it too, then and only then do you feel the worst pain of them all: hating who you are. With that being said, I choose and will always choose the pain of discipline.

• Michael Blunck

This week’s presentation, while prerecorded, was honestly one of the most poignant discussions on the need for, and nature of, leadership in our modern lives. Never before have I heard someone put such weighty concepts into such a down to earth style. Bill Curry’s Artful articulation on leadership put into beautifully simplistic language the very things that we as individuals and as aspiring leaders deal with every minute of every day. Especially his brief description of the aptly named “fellowship of the miserable.” This “fellowship” as he called them, was the metaphorical embodiment of not only every cynic and critic we will face, it is also perhaps more importantly one of the simplest ways to discuss the inner nay sayers within ourselves.

As I have said before during class discussions, we as a culture have confused the concept of critical thinking with that of the cynical bite. We have misinterpreted the mean spirited and disheartening for clever and insightful, and in doing so we as a nation and as people have deprived ourselves all too often of the thoughts that drive the change that fuels our democratic society.

Especially within academics, where we have far too often failed to extend the thought processes of our students beyond the immediate problems presented to them. Walk into any social science classroom on ours, or any other campus and ask the students what they learned in sociology, economics, or political science. They’ll answer respectively that society is rampant with inequalities and injustices, that the world’s markets are driven by a greed that makes the advances of one the fall of others, and finally that these things are out of the hands of the average man to change because they never had the power in the first place.

I am not insinuating that these course are by their nature are pessimistic or by any means inaccurate or unnecessary. In all honesty I believe that such classes have never been more essential to long term prosperity of mankind as a whole. However, the issue lies not in the information being taught but in the interpretation and handling of such information.

The average student is asked to be able to know this information, but most are never asked how they plan to go about changing it. Many students find themselves content to rattle off any number of societal ills as a sign of their formal education, but few show any real hope, or for that matter, want for a solution to these issues. Most stop with the presented world issues and either discuss them purely in an abstract since, or they file them mentally away as being the way the world is. It is a sad thing to hear a room full of educated college students unanimously agree that mankind is doomed to either floods or bombs, both of which they will quickly point out are our own doing. Yet, worse than this is that none of these minds are truly challenged to find answers to these problems.

This “fellowship of the miserable” is encapsulated in this vision of our community’s future leaders. If our best and brightest young minds believe it a sign of insightfulness to leave a problem unsolved because it is just “too big” then we truly do have as little hope as they think. As leaders we must be motivated to go the extra step beyond learning about the world’s problems; we must feel our obligations to sovle them where ever we are able.

Finally, as I mentioned previously, this extends to our inner cynics as well. Perhaps the most damaging thing to a young mind is it’s own tendency toward despair. Whether its been taught by our culture or just those we know, we too as leaders suffer from the same problems mentioned above. We too are plagued with doubt and apathy that smoother every positive thought we have in their cribs. We often leave our thoughts unsaid, and elect to let them wither on our mental vines, never to have them displayed at the exchange of ideas. This is the true insidiousness about this terrible fellowship; even we as leaders find ourselves card carrying members.

Bill Curry thus motivates us to look beyond this fact however, just as we must look beyond many others. He challenges his audience to remember what it was like to be young and untainted by a world that taught us to expect “no,” before we joined this fellowship. He challenged us to not only seek the hope that lies in all of us, but to be that hope for others around us in order to push past the mental road blocks that keep the real problems where they are, out in the real world.

• Britton Hodge.

when I think of the pain of discipline and the pain of regret, the pain of regret hits a little harder than the pain of discipline. living with a football coach all years of my life, I know the pain of discipline being in the well oiled machine that is a football team. knowing that I could’ve done something when there was the chance to hits hard and I have many experiences with this feeling. I think what the speaker is getting at is seize the day and live your life.