• Elizabeth Larios Rodriguez

My true north is God. Everytime i want to wavier or give up i remind myself what drives me and what i must stay true to. And for me that is God and the calling he has on my life. I think this kind of goes along with the whole priorites thing, right?

• Mariah Wagner

Patrice said that her true north included her religion, and I would have to agree with that for my own personal true north. I find religion very important, and something that should be present while making important life decisions. I also think my true north is being compassionate for others. I like to put others in front of me, and I think this is important when going on with life. I would hate to lose this characteristic of mine because in a world of hate, compassion is very important. I love being able to help others, which is why I am incorporating that in my future occupation, which would be physical therapy. I truly do believe that I am on the right track to keep my true north as it is today.

• Amanda Davis

Like Patrice, Faith and Family are part of my true north. One thing I would add to mine, however, is personal happiness. Not in an egotistical way, but there are times that I feel it is okay to go out on a limb, against the judgement of those you love to make yourself happy. Whether that means going to a school they don’t want you to go to, or applying for a job they might not think you are cut out for- but you just know in your gut that you are and they will see it- thats when personal happiness has a role in my true north. I always try to make choices that I know I can live with the next day, after the dust has settled. All of my major choices have always gone through my family and I have made sure to get their imput, even if I think my mind is made up.

• My “true north” is not having a true north. I believe that when people take hard line stances on subjects, or set out specific goals for them self, they miss out on life. I follow the alternative method of “I’m not even sure this compass woks”. THat’s not to say that goals aren’t important, they are, I just don’t believe that you should be rigid in those goals, rather they be personal or professional.

• Rachel Payne

Not to take the easy road out on this one or anything, but my true north is also my faith and my family. For me family is not simply the people with whom I share blood but the people who have been a constant presence in my life and have made me who I am. That includes friends, teachers that went beyond reiterating the textbook, and my church family. When I am deciding what to do in certain situations I think about how it will affect my ministry and then I go down a list of important people in my life and think about what they would have to say about the decision. I don’t think we should let others make decisions for us but I do strongly believe that we should seek council before making major choices so that we can get another perspective. I am really glad Mrs. Douglas spoke about this point, it is something that everyone needs to think about because their true north defines who they are as a person and in order to be a good leader you must know yourself and what drives you and what you are working toward.

• Gabrielle Devero

My true north is to succeed in my classes, graduate, and follow my dreams. I can’t follow my dreams unless I get a good education first. Through my college expirences, they will help me grow as a person and learn more about myself. With the support of my lovely family and friends, I can do it. I’d love to live in NYC someday working with a theatre there. I can start small at uco theatre and grow from there.

• Beth Rawlins

To a certain extent, I don’t believe that I have a true north. My views and beliefs are constantly evolving as I experience more things that cause my perspectives to be expanded. My faith is my basis, but, my interpretation of my faith and my relationship with God is not a stagnant, concrete foundation. Rather, it is an ever-changing guidance that sometimes takes me North, but sometimes takes me West, or sometimes takes me East. My definition of “true north” is different from what it was, say, two years ago, therefore I have determined that there is no truth north. For me, there is only my relationship with God, nothing else is constant; nothing else is concrete.

• Andrea Allison

My true north is my family and my future. In everything I do, I think to myself, “would this make mu family happy and is it beneficial to my future?” If I cannot say yes to this question, I don’t do it. Having a true north is important and can make many life decisions much easier. In everything I do, I want to make my future better for me while making my family happy because I owe that much to them for everything that they have done for me. If I did not have these things to aim for, I feel that my life would not be going as good as it is right now.

• Ashley Sells

My true north is: God, family, and health. It’s short and simple, but once they are in line in my life I have no worries.

• Samuel Corrales

My true North ultimately is my personal success. For a while now I’ve been personally battling whether or not I should make certain decisions. Think of it as a puzzle piece. I can fit in five different puzzles, but it’s very visible that I am just needed to complete each puzzle instead of actually being from each puzzle. I don’t know if that was a good enough analogy, but that’s how I feel. I don’t want to compromise anything from my personal values just to blend in with others and complete their ideals. Although at times I get a bit lonely, I would prefer to be alone than to be with a group of people who need me just to help them out. I am a Cancer. I tend to be a person who will help out with pretty much anything, but I am not someone that will be taken advantage of. I’m wandering right now. I know what my true North is, but I’m not sure on when I will actually get there. It seems that there is something behind every corner that adds to whether or not I should go a certain way. Not all who wander are lost. I’m going to do my best at looking ahead at each road that presents itself before I travel upon it. I can’t wait for the day comes when I’m at my True North.

• Allison Cox

I really enjoyed getting to hear Mrs. Douglas speak. She was very entertaining and also was a fantastic speaker. After hearing her talk about having a “true North”, it really got me thinking about what mine was. I came to the conclusion that my “true North” is constantly changing from the different times in my life that I am in. There are different aspects about it that don’t change like, faith and family, but currently another part of my “true North” is my future. Everything that I am doing right now at UCO is for my future. I don’t think that I would be as motivated if I wasn’t thinking of my future. It is also a big factor in the kinds of decisions that I make. I could choose to live a completely different life that is so far from the one that I’m living right now, but I just think about how those decisions would effect my future someday. It’s a scary thing to think about, but right now it’s what’s getting me through nursing school and accomplishing my current goals.

• Chelsea Ratterman

My true North is my desire and drive to have a quality and engaging education. We are always learning, so education has always been the thing that has pointed me in the right direction and to what was necessary for me to succeed. It hasn’t failed me yet!

• Ethan Wood

For me, true north is a set of life goals that determines where I’m going to be and what I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. I have a set of values, and I would like to do and be things that keep those values in mind and allow me to live a happy, healthy, constructive life. I think those goals are my true north. It’s a little difficult to explain without going into a lot of detail, but take a profession for example.

Quite frankly, I want to make a lot of money. A lot of people say money doesn’t make the world go round, but let’s be real folks. It does. Money can’t buy happiness. But it can sure buy you a lot of stuff that will make you happy. So I want to make a lot of money, and be protected from the majority of the crap that life throws at you. Then, I’d like to do a job that I can be comfortable doing. Something that makes me feel like I’ve made a real difference and helped someone that day. And I would like the work to be interesting. If breaking rocks paid well, I’d probably do it, but I would rather have a job with a little fun and a bit less monotony. And I would like something with job security. And something that is impressive. Because I have a big ego, there’s no point in denying it. Being a doctor sounds like a great way to do all of these things. I get paid a lot, the work is interesting, people are always going to be sick (or at least think they are), being a doctor is impressive, and the entire profession is centered around helping people get better. Who wouldn’t want to do that? It’s like a laundry list of the things I want out of a profession.

That’s one aspect of my true north. Marriage, family life, and other things of course play into it. But keeping my ideals and values in mind while also being realistic about what teh world requires of me is basically what I would call true north. A set of values, tempered with pragmatism.

• Kaley Everson

Happiness. Contentment. These are two things that people think about; but they rarely tie it into their vocation. Everybody wishes to a success in their lives. But I do not simply just wish to be a success. I want to make a difference in other’s lives To me, this is crucial. My true north: Being happy and content with the job I have; and as I am working, making a difference in other people. Although my choice of major is somewhat undecided, I think that I will be most capable of helping others (and enjoy my job most) through nursing. The medical field is not simply for those who wish to practice their knowledge: it’s about helping others in the most efficient way possible. I know I will be able to help others most effectively here, and hope that I will be capable of changing people’s lives: even if it is in the smallest way possible.

• Jordan Conley

I feel as though my true north is my faith. Every major decision I have to make I pray about it before I make the decision. After I do pray I feel so much more confident that the decision is the right one. But I also know that if it is not the right decision then I will learn some kind of lesson from it. Whatever decisions I make I know that God is always there helping me through everything. That is why I believe my true north is my faith.

• Tanner Gore

My true north is to keep what you do moral and helping. In life we come to many situations that don’t turn out like we would have hoped or we come to decisions that we would rather not have to make. I try to keep good Christian morals because without somewhere to stand we sink in everyone else’s thoughts.

• Hawley Austin

My true North would be my faith, my family, and my future. I know that my answer might sound a little cliché, but it is true. My faith has always been number one to me. It is how I was raised, and it is what is most important to me. Without faith, my life would fall apart. My second true North is my family. My family is my support system. I always go to them when I am making a decision that will effect my life. They give me the guidance I need to succeed. My family pushes me to be the best that I can be. My final true North is my future. My future is very important. I have always been afraid of the word disappointment. I never want to be told that someone is disappointed in me. Success is always something I have strived for and my future depends on my success. I think having a true North will not only help me stay on track, but it will remind me what is most important in my life. Often times we get too caught up in other things and forget what is important in our lives. We must always remember what our true North is.

• Chantell Hay

I think my true North is using my leadership skills in order to lead people to Christ. I believe that is my one true purpose on this planet and I really value the leadership qualities that I have been given in order to do that. Helping people find Christ and creating disciples is the mission and there will be nothing more rewarding than succeeding at that.

• Kayla Auffenorde

When first thinking about this question, I thought it would be a simple an answer, my faith. Although that is the answer, there is so much more to it. I believe that I can make a difference because I have hope. At the core, I love people, I love seeing people dream, I love to serve people, and I love seeing passion burning inside of people. This is what drives me to be a leader, because I have hope for something bigger. My family also plays a huge role. They always taught me to see the best in people and to never, for one second, think that I may be better then them. Their lessons follow me wherever I go. In my opinion, real leadership comes from humble backgrounds. I can only strive to be a leader that is bold enough to always stay true to themselves. This being said, my faith and my family is what keeps me grounded and is my constant reminder that I will make mistakes but I can also achieve great things as long as I allow myself to always point to my true North.

• I would say that my true north is my family. My family really means a lot to me so I try and make the best decision for myself and think of my family first. It has always been easy to make decisions like that, but with me graduating within two years it will be a lot tougher to make a decision to possibly take a job out of state. But, I know that any decision I do my family will be behind me so that is comforting. I would also say that my faith also keeps me on a certain path. Any decision I make I also choose if I think this is the plan I’m suppose to go with or action I am suppose to do. If I have any doubts I usually decide not to make them simply because I do not feel like I am called to make that chose. I feel like if I keep my family and my faith in my decisions I will end up being truly happy down the road.

• Ilyssa Owen

My true north, the thing that guides some (hopefully most) of the decisions make, would have to be my faith alike Patrice’s true North. My faith is different then many people’s faiths, but that’s okay. It’s unique to my heart, it’s a real relationship that I feel in my heart and with my soul. My faith is based the importance of love, turning from hatred (though this is so difficult at times), and the responsibility to help others if you’re able. I’m not saying everything I do is guided by my true north, my faith, BUT it is the guide that I need to turn to always, and in the moments I do there can’t be a regret, because the decision was guided by faith. I ask myself, “Is this helping others, or something a good heart could choose,” is what I ask my conscience when I do turn to my true north. I want to strive to become better every year at following true north on my life compass, and not the other directions and paths that can be so tempting. When you follow you’re true north, you’re heart is happy and light because you make a decision your heart believes in.

• Ashley Palmer

True North is finding something you love.

My True North is special Olympics.

Before my junior year of high school I got the opportunity to start a club for students with and without intellectual disability. Special Olympics Oklahoma gave us a grant to start this club. The goal of the club was to help unite the two groups through social events, promote unified sports, and ban the word “retard” through a national campaign.
    The last two years I have planned many events. Some of the events include holiday parties, fashion shows, trips to Thunder Games, and the Zoo. Currently I am working with a local church to plan a prom. Many of these events are free considering several of the families undergo financial hardship. Many of these events give these kids opportunities they otherwise would not get.
    Yukon participates in many unified sports. In the fall we participate in soccer, winter we participate in volley ball and bowling, and in the spring we play softball and bocce. All of the sports are made up of teams that are equally made up of athletes and students. Our partners also attend non unified events including basketball and track and field. This is to encourage our athletes to try their hardest even if they lose.
    At the beginning of the year we encourage our partners to eliminate the use of retard in their vocabulary and those around them. Annually in March we participate in the National event. Last year we sold tee shirts and sweats. We also had a banner signing day. This year we plan to give out buttons, sell sweats and shirts, sign banners, and sell “Ban the R-Word” cookies.
    I have made improvements to my community to better bridge the social gap. We have showed the community in many ways that these people are much like you and me with the same goals and dreams. We have participated in local events such as our cities Czech paraded this brought awareness of our goals to a little over two thousand people. When I graduate I will leave behind many people who share the same love as I do, much like people showed me a love for them.

• Lexi Banister

My true north is similar, if not the same, as mrs. Douglas’. Faith and family are my guidelines throughout each decision in my life. I was raised in a Christian home by a mom who has helped me through my worst and rejoiced in my over comings. Whenever I face a tough decision or even a simple decision I turn to my Bible and my mom for guidance, they’re my true north.

• Matthew Frech

I would say my personal True North is giving to a person or group of people without seeking something in return. I think this is one of the absolute most important things a human being can do during their lifetime. So often we get caught up in our own achievements and every other worry and care we have and we truly forget how well off we really are. I believe that when you give something away – be it time, work, or other resources – not only are you bettering someone else’s life by making it that much easier, but you are instilling something within yourself that makes you realize how good you really have it.

• Kayla Standlee

My true north is doing everything I can to help other people. I will go above and beyond to do whatever is needed to help something. It is my passion and there is nothing more I’d rather do. It is my drive and my passion to be as selfless as possible and to fulfill the needs of others.

• Callie Thompson

My true north would actually be the same as Patrice’s, which is faith and family. I try to base my decisions off of my faith and pray that each decision I make will be the right one. I also try to make my family proud with the decisions I make, and I turn to them whenever I need help making a decision because I know they will usually give me some good advice but still let me make the ultimate decision on my own.

• Shelby Eddleman

My true north is all about loving others, loving myself, staying positive, and not regretting anything. I think it’s very important to treat others with love all the time, even if they are total strangers. Of course, I slip up from time to time like anyone else, but I think that if we don’t spread love to others, we can’t have true happiness. That person who was rude to you may have just had a bad day, and giving them a smile in return could make their day better. Additionally, we must show love to people with differing views from ours. We don’t have to agree, but we also should not shun people with different thoughts and lifestyles. People say we must be tolerant, but I would argue that tolerance isn’t enough. I tolerate it when my mom serves her vegetable medley at the table, but I certainly don’t love it. Tolerance suggests that we just put up with something, and we should be loving people, not merely putting up with them. Love is a chain that connects us all, but we have to continue it. However, it’s hard to love others when we don’t love ourselves. This is a harder one for many of us, and I didn’t always love myself. However, I think it’s important to love and respect myself. I try to be a confident person, and I am proud to be who I am. It is easier to be kind to others and be happy when you’re secure in yourself.

• Shelby Eddleman

Whoops, I accidentally sent it and I was only halfway done! The next part of my true north is living a positive life. Life is going to hand us things that are out of our control, and all we can control is how we react. My mom always said that mood is a choice, and besides circumstances such as chemical imbalances and disorders, I believe that she is right. Times will be hard sometimes, but I always try to see the silver lining and stay happy, because things can always get better. Lastly, I try to live with no regrets. This doesn’t mean that I won’t apologize or that I’m too proud, but I think that the past is the past, so it’s better to move on. Every mistake we make takes us closer to who we are meant to be, and we all make mistakes. Dwelling on them and trying to be perfect only gives us frustration, because perfection is not part of the human experience. We need to embrace the lessons we learn and move on. My favorite song in the whole world is Closer To The Edge by 30 Seconds to Mars because that is the message conveyed, and it is a very important part of my true north!

• True north is basically the internal compass that guides you successfully through life. Everyone has their own true norths. Very often, when we were young, we have dreams that we want to accomplish. However, when we get older, we feel that some of our dreams are not as easy to achieve anymore. Therefore, our true norths are there to help us to focus on our aims. As for me, my true north is to not give up easily when circumstances arises. Many a times we get defeated by influences around us, such as negative comments that could bring us down by others. However, we need to be consistent and stay strong with what we are doing so that what we have done is not wasted and is worthwhile. Hence, not giving up easily is my true north.

• Daniel Fijalka

My true north includes knowing that God will take care of me no matter what. That is my ultimate comfort, and no matter how terrible I feel some days, I always know God will always be there for me. I also want to help others. The other day, I was speaking to a couple high school students about college. I loved giving them advice, because I knew that one year ago I was looking for all the advice I could get. Talking to the high school student gave me a huge satisfaction, and I would love to get that feeling again.

• Weston Schloss

“There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.”
    -The Jedi Code
    This is a code that I try to live by daily, although I fail miserably at it. What it teaches is the pursuit of excellence, to not let your emotions control you, and to truly be at peace. If everyone lived by this code, it would make everything better. I honestly believe this. I know that I will never yield a lightsaber, go to a Jedi Academy, meet Jedi Masters, or fight Sith Lords and the Empire, but what I can do is be the best that I can be. Jedi are undeniably the best people ever. They live without hatred or anger. It takes a humongous amount of self control which I firmly believe is something wishes that they could have. It may be fun to fly by the seat of your pants, but the best decisions that you make are ones that you are sure are the right ones to make. Living by this code would make the process of decision making easier, and that’s why it’s my True North.

• Denton Scherman

I agreed with Mrs. Douglas about her true north, they are also mine; faith and family. My family has always had my back no matter what the situation and have helped mold me into the person I am today. Because of them I grew up in the church and have a really strong faith. I believe “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. No matter what goes on here on earth, I know God will always be there for me. He has a plan greater than mine so I am along for the ride and live to please Him.

• Tre'Auntae Fairbanks

True north is your goal in life. It’s your passion, your guiding light, and the one thing that drives you to not only be successful and productive, but to be happy. In life I have gotten distracted trying to appease other people. Instead of following my true north, I have been too afraid that I would displease my parents or become a disapointment, which is one of my biggest fears. One thing I’ve had to realize is that true north will always seem a little to the east or west if Im not living my life for me. I pray for myself to have guidance because as a man I change my mind so much how can I possibly know what true north actually is? But through the Lord I can hope that He will guide me into my destiny as long as I continue to make the right decisions.

• Jessica Casey

Patrice spoke on many important items but one that stood out was her point on finding True North for yourself. My True North would definitely be to follow my dreams and Faith first. When I enter the work force, there are going to be numerous opportunities for me to get distracted from my original dream or plan for myself. I, therefore, want my True North to include a steady path toward my goal. For example, I have always wanted to travel. I do not want to be stuck in a job that requires that I stay in one spot for my whole life. In addition, I want my True North to include Faith first. I do not want to do anything in my life that will go against what’s really important; and that’s God. I hope my True North will guide me to a great future!

• Christina Traverso

During Patrice Douglas’ presentation, I found that my true north, although still developing, is very similar to hers: faith and family. The core of who we are depends on a few things, two of those being your childhood and beliefs.
    Your childhood directly and fully affects who you become. Children who experience something traumatic while they were younger often grow up scarred by their experiences, and children who grow up feeling unloved or neglected by one or both parents grow up with a hole in their life that they need to fill. Because it is uncontrollable and unfair to be born with a parent or parents who don’t fulfill their duty in raising a child, the child may continue the cycle of drugs, alcohol, or whatever it is their parents turned to rather than express love towards their child. Often times, this creates an endless cycle and undoubtedly affects what your believe.

• Cierra Chastain

When Patrice talked about finding your true north it made me think about finding my own. Being my first year in college and away from home it is during these times when I start learning about myself. I know that as the years go on I will continue to learn more and more finding the person I was created to be. Also lining my plans up will be another goal I strive for in my near future.

• Shelby Allen

My true north is something I feel will change over time as I reach various stages of my life and my priorities shift. At this stage of my life, I feel like my true north is pursing excellence in everything I do, and setting a faith-based example for others around me. These are the principles that allow me to push past what I believe to be attainable for myself.

• My true north will always be my family. The reason I say this is because without them there is no way I would be sitting here with the job I have and no way would I be graduating this Friday at 1 o’clock. My family has been there for me through thick and thin. Next would be my job. Its kinda like a game to me the harder you work at it the more recognition you get and boy its one of the best jobs you could have coming out of college. Finally I would have to say my lick really because two years ago I came to central and needed a job and I started to work intramurals and then the spring semester I became a supervisor with a little more responsibility and then in the second full year I became the graduate assistant. I was very excited about that and then finally the summer before this fall the job came open and I applied and had my interviews and luckily I got the job. So that’s why I would say a true north for me is also luck…

• Joseph George

My TRUE NORTH is truly my friends and family. The reason why is because, they are the people that I love the most. I would do almost everything for them. I have learned over the past that the bonds that I make now will most likely last a life time, but it will only last as much as I keep it safe. Bonds are like your moms favorite China. If we to ever break or drop that China we would try to to glue it together but most likely in the end it won’t work unless you had some really good glue. But someone were to drop someone of my “China”, you better believe that some one is gonna get “drop” kicked next -not saying who is going to do it. Anyway, family and friends is something I treasure in life, greatly.

• Olivia Cavazos

My truth north is knowing that whatever god outs in front of me is what is supposed to happen. Sometimes I may not agree or like what he is putting in front of me but I have to face them because let’s face it it is life and we all go through it. But also I believe my true north is to realize that not everyone and everything isn perfect and that I have to stay true to myself and not fall into traps that make me a different person that god intends me to be.