Week 9 Presentation – Dan Boren

Dan Boren shared his thoughts and perspective on numerous items to include the following:
• Day in the life of a Congressman
• Public service is about helping people
• You can’t please everyone
• Funding for Higher Education and Secondary Education in Oklahoma
• Campaign Finance Reform
• Immigration
• Political divide amongst parties
• Story of killing Bin Laden
• Family life and public service demands

Share your initial thoughts and reactions on any of the themes he shared with the class.

• Shelby Eddleman

I loved every aspect of Dan Boren’s speech. The part that really spoke to me was when he said that you can’t please everyone. His story about the Republican wife who still didn’t vote for him after he got her OU tickets was pretty amusing! It also said a lot about people. Many people are stubborn and set in their ways. If they don’t like you in the beginning, they may not ever change their minds. This concept is hard to grasp for leaders, because many of us think that if we just work a little harder and act a little kinder, we can win anyone over. We often get discouraged if that doesn’t happen. As leaders, we must realize that we can never please everyone. Boren did a great thing in bringing that up, because I feel like a lot of us are people pleasers. I know I am. However, leading is about standing up for what you believe in more than it is about getting everyone to approve. In all honesty, if we are not fighting for things that at least have a bit of controversy attached, we are not being very good leaders. We will never have a 100 percent approval rate, and that’s okay. Let’s stir up the pot a little bit, and make people think, rather than win a popularity contest. That being said, leaders must also treat their followers with respect. I am in no way saying that leaders shouldn’t care who they piss off. I’m simply saying that staying true to our beliefs should always trump being well liked. Some of our greatest leaders had a multitude of enemies, but they never stopped standing up for what they believed in. Look at Martin Luther King, Jr. He was jailed and eventually killed for his beliefs, but instead of focusing on people pleasing, he focused on what he believed to be right. We can’t please everyone, but we can make a difference.

• Gabrielle Devero

I found it fascinating that he was over in the area when Bin Laden was killed. I found his dedication to his job very inspiring. He has to travel so much and that shows that you will be willing to do what ever if you love your job. He said that its not about having a title, it’s about helping other. A person with no title can be more beneficial than someone with a high title depending on the work they do.

• Lexi Banister

When Dan Boren spoke about how “you can’t please everyone” my initial thought was “amen!” I am a firm believer that that statement is extremely true. I am the person that wants to please everyone and make everyone happy with my actions and decisions. For Mr. Boren, being a man of power and position, to say that is a big deal. His actions potentially effect someone’s way of life, yet he has to make them based on the big picture. His decisions will not always please everyone, in fact, he probably has many people against him, but he does what he believes is best for the people. If he can make intelligent decisions, even if he knows it will upset people, then I can too. It reassured me that leadership is not about popularity, it is about doing things for people with good intentions and the want to affect someone’s life in a positive way.

• Mariah Wagner

I really liked Mr. Boren’s comment about public service is about helping others. I really liked this because so many people take their powerful positions, and they don’t use it to help people. My first thought when he said this was that many people say that they help others, but they really don’t. However, as he told many stories about how he has helped other people it became clear to me that he really does care for people. By serving others it shows what a genuine person you are, which is very important when you’re in a position of power.

• Andrea Allison

Let’s talk about education. Some individuals do not realize how lucky they are to have gone to a certain high. I grew up in a community where half the population was below the poverty line. Our schools had very little funding. My graduating class went from 170 people my freshman year to about 127 on graduation day. That’s a twenty-five percent dropout rate. Oklahoma as a whole has horrible ratings on many scales. Low education rates and high divorce, teen pregnancy, drug abuse, and dropout rates have taken over our state. Could all these be fixed with more money for education? Maybe if our schools were given more money and college cost less, more people would at least try to make it through high school and on to college and all these rates would be improved. I love UCO and believe education is extremely important in America. Nothing annoys me more than thinking that our government spends billions of wasted dollars on things we don’t need to spend money on when we could be better funding our education and make college an opportunity for more people.

• Beth Rawlins

I really appreciated how Dan Boren acknowledged the lack of funding for public education. As of 2010, only three states have a lower teacher salary than Oklahoma. On a personal level, when my family moved from Washington to Oklahoma, my dad had to switch professions. He had taught math for 21 years and was passionate about teaching and an excellent educator. However, due to a 50% pay cut, he was forced to choose another avenue for income. The cost of living did not even come close to compensating for the pay decrease. Even worse, he was at the top of the public education pay scale in Oklahoma. It is shameful that we cripple our educators. Education, especially during the early stages, is what makes the individuals who will one day grow up to be the foundation of our society. If anything, education should be overemphasized, not an avenue we look to, to make budget cuts.

• Ethan Wood

Dan Boren touched on the need for campaign finance reform, something that I think needs immediate attention. SCOTUS has decided that it is fine for someone with a large amount of money to donate as much as they please, effectively canceling out the efforts of many smaller donors like myself. I think that there should be limits on the amount of money donated by individuals, in order to curtail the effects of “superdonors”. While those in favor of SuperPACS and other forms of donations involving large amounts of money claim that both sides have equal numbers of superdonors, I think this misses the point. Individuals should not be able to sway the election process as disproportionately as is currently acceptable, no matter which political party they are in favor of. If everyone is able to vote equally, then everyone should be able to participate equally in the electoral process as well, something that I think SuperPACS and superdonors prevent from being the case.

• Rachel Payne

I would like to combine “public service is about helping people,” “You can’t please everyone,” and “political divide amongst parties.” If our nation’s leaders could truly embrace this first idea then we would be a lot better off. By setting aside other agendas and focusing on serving the people, the division of the parties would disintegrate because they would have one common goal. I’m not saying that our leaders are out to get us, just that a good portion have forgotten their ultimate purpose. Of course no matter what they do or how many people they help there will be opposition and unhappy people, therefore, our leaders should be more encouraged to compromise in order to satisfy most people, which brings us back to the severe polarization of the parties. All three things are linked together, if our leaders could get back on track and focus on the needs of the people the other two are bound to improve.

• Chantell Hay

One topic that really stood out to me was when Dan Boren talked about public service and helping people. I believe that serving others is one of the most important things you can do in life. Serving others makes you a better person. I have found that putting other people before yourself can be extremely rewarding. It was really interesting to hear another input on public service and to hear different stories about it. He experienced the rewards of serving others first hand, but he also experienced serving others without a reward. With that said, the goal should never be to serve others in order to get something out of it.

• Malana Smith

I have always been the person who was so worried that I would have a big head, I didn’t want to be in a powerful position. I thought I would get sucked up in the drama, possibly become heartless, and lose my original motivation for wanting the position in the first place. But, when Mr. Boren said that “There are certain things you can do because of the position you hold”, it helped me realize that if I truly want to be able to help people, I need to be able to have the position in order to have the resources to do so. Even when working in ministry, there are certain positions that offer more resources to help others in more ways than being just a member of a church can. I don’t need to see a position as a distraction, but as a support to the goal.

Something else that really caught my attention was the phrase, “Believe in the principle of compromise, but never compromise your beliefs.” There are plenty of things one will need to compromise in during their walk of life. Finances, decisions about how to raise children, what restaurant to go to for date night- there are many opportunities for this. So many times, when we compromise, it will be in our beliefs. Our beliefs about what the government should be like, our belief in God, and even our belief in ourselves and what we can and cannot do. But, if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Sometimes, in order to get something done, you have to compromise. But more importantly, you need to do what you know and believe is right.

• Kaley Everson

“You can’t please everybody.”
    Attempting to please everybody is inconceivable. Stances on politics and religion squander our ability to understand differences in people. And although these two things do hold great power over who we can reach, there are many reasons that hold us back from reaching the people we want- and don’t want to reach.
    The inability to relate to the others is due to differences in personalities and views. It is due to not understanding. Yes, it is true that we will never please everybody. And when it comes to a time that the other individual has grown so resistant to listening that it is harming you, there is a time to walk away. However, people need to try. Try to understand others and put aside differences. This is truly WHY we cannot and will not please everybody. Is because no one wants to listen.

• Ashley Palmer

Mr. Boren said “Public service is about helping people.” I agree and I disagree. I think helping others is something that should be required for everybody. I also thinks it helps the person who is doing the service. But to receive the joy of helping others you must be open to receiving.

• Allison Cox

Dan Boren was a very interesting speaker to listen to. I was particularly interested when he discussed what a normal day as a Congressman was like. I am not a huge follower of politics but ever since I took an AP Government course in high school it has always intrigued me. I thought Dan Boren did a great job explaining how much time goes into being a Congressman. I always knew that they were busy, but I had not idea that they spent so much time campaigning and fundraising. I could not imagine how much time he was away from his family when he was flying back and forth from D.C. every other day. I guess when you’re a Congressman, your job really never stops. You are always on the clock because how you act reflects on your constituents and also how they will vote. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Boren because he is not a straight partisan politician. He described that both sides have their good and bad aspects about them, but he is not just for one side. I am the same way, so it’s always good to know that there are Congressmen who are like that as well.

• Christina Traverso

When I heard Dan Boren speak on Tuesday, I was surprised and pleased by his countenance on the subject of moderation in today’s political climate. Over a short period of years, the American political system has seen a shocking trend in extremism. For a system that fundamentally pushes moving towards the center of a political atmosphere, as opposed to favoring two opposite ends of a spectrum, the fact that we have so many radical republicans and radical democrats in Congress today, refusing to let up on key issues (despite a governmental shut down…), is concerning at the least.
    With all this in mind, moderate politicians are a breath of fresh air for the American electorate, and certainly for college students such as myself. I really appreciated Mr. Boren’s approach on politics, not because he’s not a radical believer in his policies (for all the negative connotations associated with the word “radical”, it is important to note that those who can be labeled “radical” profess what they believe in such a manner because they truly believe in what they are doing), but because he talked about politics as a public service, not a title. It’s about helping people, regardless of their party or their beliefs or their persona. A good politician does what they do in order to serve the best interests of their constituents, better the morals of their country, and be the best you can be for those you represent. Unfortunately, sometimes these areas conflict, resulting in many difficult decisions, but that’s life. The last point Mr. Boren made that ties into all of this is that you’re going to make somebody mad all the time. Be the best you can be, but remember that that’s not going to be the best for everyone else, no matter what you do. And that’s not a bad thing; it’s just reality.

• Dan Boren’s presentation was one of the most enjoyable to me this semester. He covered a wide variety of topics and had very good relatable thoughts. One of the thoughts that he discussed that I found very true was that you can not please everyone. From my personal experiences with being in leadership positions on campus is that it is impossible to please everyone. Everyone will always want to voice an opinion if something does not go their way or if it does not beneift them in a way. But as a leader you have to learn to deal with this in a constructive way and perform your duties to the best of your ability and to look out for the benefit of the organization as a whole rather than certain individuals. Another point that I really liked was funding for secondary and higher education. It is no surprise with how the economy has been lately that funding from the state for secondary and higher education has begun to decline. This is especially concerning considering that attending college is becoming the norm in today’s society. As a community we should look at higher and secondary education as an essential part of society and should focus more funding on them. Without education we are powerless in my opinion, and if the funding from governments continue to decline tuition and other collegiate expenses will continue to rise making it very difficult for some citizens to attend college.

• Jordan Conley

I loved when he talked about not being able to please everyone. I am always trying to make everyone happy and I get very upset when I can’t. As leaders, we have to realize that no matter how hard we try we will never be able to please everyone. There will always be people that are critical of the things we do and we can try to change that but we still have to accept it.

• Benny Tham

One of the thoughts Dan shared in class that has resonated me most is that we cannot please everyone. I immediately agreed with him when he shared this thought because everyone is not the same — we might have different opinions on the same things or issues. For instance, some people get things done whenever tasks are given. However, some people might need datelines in order to get things done. Some people might learn a lesson through listening alone, but some of them might need to see it so that they could absorb and understand what they learn. As leaders, we have to try to figure out a way that can accommodate everyone best, but not perfectly because everyone is different. At the same time, we should also know how to get ourselves protected because individuals who are not pleased might hurt us sometimes. It is important to know each team members well so that we know what is best for them. As long as we tried our best, we are not at fault.

• Hawley Austin

Dan Boren shared his thoughts about many ideas, however a few of those thoughts stood out to me a bit more than others. One thought that he had was that we can’t please everyone. The leaders in our world are constantly facing this idea. Pleasing everyone is practically impossible, but there is a solution to this ongoing challenge: compromise. Compromise plays an important role in many aspects of the world. The leaders in our government must compromise with one another in order to move forward with an idea. They must come to a consensus. Compromising doesn’t mean that one must change their mind on an idea, it simply means changing a few details to an idea that would make the idea as a whole more appealing to others. Dan Boren said “believe in the principle of compromising, but never compromise your beliefs in principle.” Compromise will not lead to pleasing everyone, but it will lead to pleasing more people.

Another idea that stood out to me was his thoughts on public service. Public service is about helping others. Volunteering is an act of public service. We make the lives of others better. Everyone can participate in public service. You do not need a title to participate. Titles and positions can be helpful, but at the end of the day it’s about others and how their lives were impacted by our actions.

• I thought that Mr.Boren’s explanation about the day in the life of a congressman was interesting. The issue is, however, I don’t believe him. I have a deep distrust for politicians, and I highly doubt that he really did all the things he said he did. I would love to be proven wrong, but as it stands he is just another politician to me.

• Brittney Rutledge

Dan Boren discussed how you can try your hardest but you cant always please everyone. No matter what you do there will always be someone who doesn’t agree with your actions. As long as you are doing what you believe is the right thing, you are doing exactly what you should be doing. All people have different opinions and will react differently to what you do but you can not base all of your decisions and actions off of what you believe other people will think. Inform yourself on all aspects of the issue at hand and go with your gut.

• Denton Scherman

One of favorite comments by Mr. Boren was that you can’t please everyone. I automatically agreed with him and really began to think about it. If we tried to please everyone at every moment, we would never get anything done. Leaders need to step up and do what is right and not worry about those who oppose you; do what needs to be done. Sometimes being a leader is a struggle for people pleasers, but once they can figure out this point by Mr. Boren, they will be able to succeed even more. I have never been afraid to step on people’s toes, which is sometimes looked down on, but it is needed to get anything done in this world anymore. Clubs can be split just like our Congress and sometimes compromise goes out the window. Unlike in Congress where certain parties pass laws just because an elder member or higher authority says they like it; we must think about what is BEST not what we WANT. With the big party split, congress needs to think about getting their heads on straight and opening their eyes before they run our country into the ground. This healthcare bill was a prime example of people doing what they WANTED. Each time the House would revise a bill the Senate would vote it down because it wasn’t exactly what they wanted. If we are going to step on people’s we need to do it the correct way.

• Ilyssa Owen

Dan Boren shared his thoughts on the inability of individuals to please everyone. I think that many people share Dan Boren’s belief about people pleasing, especially fellow politicians and public servicemen. Leaders other than politicians, of all sorts, will encounter this problem. How are we supposed to decide then, what is the right way, when we can never please everybody? If a leader is constantly disappointed a crowd and feeling opposed, they may become discouraged and turn to only making decisions that please themselves, because at least they will be happy. I think that the best politicians and leaders through service don’t give into that temptation of making sure decisions are made based on their own benefits. The strongest leaders will use the challenge of pleasing everyone as a channel to make the right decision, even if it depreciates their own interests. It goes along with the saying “the right thing may not always be the most popular.” A simple example of the lesson I saw in Dan Boren’s remark about not being able to please everyone goes back to one of America’s earliest leaders that fought against slavery. Certainly not everyone in America at the time of emancipation and fighting for freeing the slaves was pleased, but a few leaders at that time took the stand to do the right thing and fight for equality of all men, not for personal gain and not to please others, simply to do the right thing. That is why it is okay that we aren’t going to always please our audiences, as long as our intentions are indeed set to achieve the greater good.

• Blair Summers

It was a change this week to have a retired politician/congressman as our speaker. He was open and honest about every topic presented. One thing I had never thought about was the schedule of a congressman. Not that would necessarily be a daily tought, but it is baffling how demanding and hectic their lives are, especially with a family. Regardless of public opinion on government and its people, we have to respect the sacrifice that is made daily by our representatives.

• Ashley Sells

Dan Boren talked about Public service is about helping people. He shared how he would try his best to help everyone he could. I think it’s extremely important to help others especially if they are supporting you; you should do everything to help then out when they are in need.

• Sheyla Rabei

As a Congressman, Dan Boren has a good idea on how difficult it is to please everyone, especially in a situation where everyone disagrees. Sometime in life, more likely plenty of times rather than just once, we’re going to have to face similar circumstances. It’s a common, well-intentioned goal of someone to try to avoid letting anyone down. However, some of the wonderful (and yet sometimes troubling) quirks about people are their varying strong-willed opinions. If one’s only goal is to simply try to make everybody happy, they’ll be chasing after something impossible. It’s best to try to understand everybody’s different points of views and make compromises out of them. No matter what, though, as Dan Boren pointed out, there is no way to make everybody happy in decision-making. Nevertheless, as long as you’re doing what you think is right, in the end, that should be all that matters.

• Tanner Gore

When he said you can’t please everyone it made me think of all the people that didn’t agree with my choices through leading. As I thought about all these people I thought of the relationship I have with them now and how some of them still hold that grudge because they didn’t get what they wanted. With this I thought of the ups and downs of leadership. How I will never please everyone and in some situations I will not agree with choices. it is up to me to be able to please as many people as I can and help swing the people who disagree to still be along with the project.

• Olivia Cavazos-Hudson

Of course the story of Bin Laden intrigued me the most because I was the one that asked and made sure he told us! I think it was crazy and scary that Bin Laden was so close to him and he didn’t even know. If I was at that point and I found out Bin Laden had been that close to me without knowing I would have been freaked out of my mind. But at the same time it is amazing and interesting that you didn’t know that he was THAT close to him. Also it is so amazing that he knows top secret things and couldn’t tell us certain details about his trip. Which makes the story even more entertaining because you want to know those details he was telling us.

• Kayla Auffenorde

One theme that really resonated with me is that you cannot please everyone. Although I do not like to admit it, I am a perfectionist. Therefore, I want nothing more than to please everyone. The only thing that has ever come out of this is that I spread myself too thin. By doing so I please everyone in the smallest way possible. Dan Boren alluded to the fact that displeasure comes with the territory. It is more important to focus all of your energy in the direction that you believe that it should go. In other words, focus on one specific group of people where you think you can have the most influence. What I beginning to learn is that you really cannot please everyone, because even when you try, your best effort is not being given. So you can’t please everyone, but that doesn’t mean you stop pursing.

• Samuel Corrales

I liked how he spoke about why people initially run for office, to help people. Every title is just that, a title. You can’t expect to be reelected if you do not listen to the needs of those who you are serving. If you want to be a good leader, you have to understand what it is to be a servant. It all relates back to servant leadership. If you have an understanding of what’s best for the group you are serving and you feel that they just can’t see a choice through yet, be ready to answer your reasoning at any given point. It is easy to please the crowds you are serving to get reelected, but it becomes difficult whenever you have to think of what you find morally right. As leaders, we can’t just agree with someone for our best interest. We have to put our past titles, present titles, future titles aside and think of what is truly right. Be confident in every move you make, there is a reason why you’re in the position you’re at.

• Brady Sowell

I liked what he said about not being able to please everyone cause so many times I get hung up on making everyone happy and not getting done what needs to be done. Especially as a politician, there is no way he can make everyone happy so it was good to get to hear his thoughts on it. If we focus on trying to please everyone we won’t do any task to our full potential. I also agreed with his public service being about helping people point. It isn’t about heat we can get from it, it is about how we can help make our world a better place!

• Madelyn Ferguson

Dan Boren spoke briefly on being in office and having to try and find a balance between work and family. I wish he would have spoken more on this point because I find it hard to balance my studies, involvement, and my personal time. One category always seems to fall behind the other two. I would have liked to have known more about hat I could do to have balance in my life. I think he would hold a unique perspective and he seemed to be successful at keeping his life balanced

• Elizabeth Larios Rodriguez

I love the fact that he talked about public service is about helping people! All too many times people think of public service and think dirty politics when in reality, it should be thought of right along with non profit orgs! Even politics, they’re there for the people! To creat laws to HELP our society! I loved that he touched on this! It’s very close to home seeing as I am going to go into public service and like to know there are people like him getting the word out, that its about helping people, not for self pride.

• Lydia Davis

Personally, I resonated most with the point made by Dan Boren that you can’t please everyone. I’m generally not a people pleaser because I tend to be stubborn in my methods, but I am concerned that when I make decisions, people won’t stand by me–its important to know that I can do what I feel is best and not focus solely on the opposition.

Often, people will make decisions to please the masses and then use that as an excuse when something goes wrong. It’s much easier to use someone else’s bad idea as a crutch instead of taking responsibility for our own faulty plan. When Dan Boren said that we can’t please everyone, I felt that there was also an underlying message that we need to take responsibility for the decisions that we make when we are credited with the outcome.

• Shelby Allen

The theme that I took the most away from Dan Boren’s speech is the idea that no matter the line of work, it’s never about the title; it’s about helping people. Boren stressed the importance of being a public servant first, and a politician second. Being from a successful family, Boren had additional connections, but also had to to live under the judgement and expectations to meet his family’s success. He explained how it is important to use your position of power to help others, and gave the example of obtaining football tickets for a constituent, and having a hospital bill paid off for a woman in need. I admire Boren’s humility and compassion for others, something that often isn’t associated with the political spectrum. As leaders, we always have to consider who we are leading, and tailor our actions based on their needs. It is those moments where we choose to positively impact others that will define our character and our future decisions.

• Callie Thompson

I liked how Dan Boren made it clear that public service is about helping people. Many people in today’s society do not see this, partly because they are focused more on the immediate response which will affect them instead of the big picture of everyone working together and bettering things in the long run. He also said he usually voted to represent his people even if he may have disagreed, but the few times he didn’t was only because he knew something they didn’t know. He was still thinking of what was best for them, even though they could not see it. This is a prime example of the importance of choosing office leaders carefully so that we can trust them to keep their own citizens best interest in mind when they have information unknown to the public.

• Katie Sheehan

Since I am a people pleaser to the core, I loved when he talked about how you cannot please everyone. This message cannot be reiterated enough because it’s good to make people mad every once in awhile, it means that you stood up for something.

• Ashton Smith

Last week when Dan Boren came to speak to us he talked about several different topics pertaining to his life. One of my favorite topics was about public service is helping everyone. Being apart of a servant leader organization we should be willing to not just help some, but everyone we can. There are so many people in our community that we can reach out to, to help serve them the best we can. I feel that is one thing I personally need to work on. Not just picking a service act here and a service act there, but put myself in as many service acts that I can.

• Christen Hickey

The balance between family and work is no easy task, and having a job in a different city or state than where your family is living certainly makes things even more difficult. When I was in elementary school, my dad held a position that meant he got sent around to lots of different places on business trips. I can still remember that when he got home he would have bags of little goodies for me and my sisters. That tactic seems almost silly, but I can still today remember being excited about the knick knacks. As a child, Dad being gone every once in awhile didn’t seem like a huge deal because he always came back and he was never gone too long or missed birthdays or holidays, but looking back I know that those times were really tough on my mom. Try taking a 1, 4, and 7 year old little girl to the grocery store. Or getting them all to stop fighting over a toy. Or get them to all finish their dinner and get ready for bed. Eventually my dad switched companies and almost never had business trips. The change didn’t seem that big for us but it was for them. You should do a job you enjoy, and you should always try to do what you enjoy, but family comes first. And when things get to that degree of difficult, it’s time to come home and be there for them. There is, of course, a fine line between when you should stay or come home, but for each person and each family that time will be different.

• Lauren Walker

The point he made that hit home most with me was the you can’t please everyone. And it is so true. I have always been a people pleaser, bending over backwards to make whatever happen. I have recently learned that this is something that wont always happen. Someone, somewhere will not be happy. You have to find it in yourself to know that it is okay. Of course you don’t ever want to make anyone mad but at some point there will be those that don’t agree or don’t get their way. It happens and it is a lesson that everyone must learn!

• Matthew Frech

You can’t please everyone. What a simple concept that we seem to so simply forget. As leaders, there is a natural instinct within each of us that wants to always be pushing the envelope. We do our best to get the job done in the most efficient possible way and most importantly, we try to get everyone around us on board with what we are doing. As a leader, we want fellow leaders and especially people following us to buy in to what we are doing. If we are so caught up in making something happen but there’s no one around to follow along, there usually isn’t much of a point. The big problem is that there is never a guarantee that everyone will agree with what you are doing. In fact, there is a really good chance that no matter what the decision is, there is someone who thinks the exact opposite would be a better way to go. As leaders, we get so caught up in wanting people to buy in to what we are saying that when someone opposes us, we do our best to battle that and try and get them to see our point of view. I believe that in order to run an organization, we need to realize the differences among and play to everyone’s strengths. Not that we should leave others out, just that we should realize not every battle can be won, and sometimes you have to pick and choose.

• Jessica Casey

Dan Boren shared his thoughts and perspective on numerous items. One of which included the importance of Public Service. This is important in any leadership role because it will not only help the community, but yourself as well. Public Service is about helping people in any way you possibly can with all that you have to offer. It’s not just about having the title, but to do whatever you can for others because of the position you hold. If you act as an example performing public service, others will look upon you and become encouraged to make a difference in their community too. I completely agree with Dan Boren that public service is a great way to express yourself and show who you really are.

• I found it very interesting that he was in the area when bin laden was killed some of the stuff he explain was about the movie zero dark thirty when the lady and I can’t remember her name but when she was shot at he was there. Also I found it very interesting that he was listening in on calls on bin laden. But so far this year he has been my favorite speaker very good and informative…

• Weston Schloss

The greater good of everyone supersede the desires of few. That’s why the saying of, “you can’t please everyone,” means so much to me. When it comes to crunch time, you may have to make a decision that not everyone will agree with, but you know that, in the long run, it’s for the best. That’s what true leadership is about. You may make others angry, but in time, others will see that it’s worth it.

• Daniel Fijalka

I was glad when Mr. Boren mentioned how public service is about helping people. I think people often forget the meaning of public service in every day life. A lot of people only think about doing service when disaster strikes within a community, but we should think about performing public services all the time. It is such a great feeling to help people. What I enjoy most is seeing a smile or tears of joy on someone’s face when you have helped them in a big way. Even small acts of kindness bring out the best in people. I think doing public service and helping others is a big step to true happiness.

• Dan Boren had many examples of how important public service is. The first one we heard was about the republican couple in which the wife refused to vote for a democrat but told the congressman that she might if he could get her OU tickets. Conveniently, he was offered OU tickets immediately after leaving the couple’s house. He instantly returned to their home with the tickets, showing that he was serving his constituents in every way. Public service is all about helping other people. Service is extremely important to our organization. You can do certain things because of the position you have, and we have all been fortunate enough to have a gateway to opportunities to help and serve on our campus and community. However, anyone can give back, no matter the size of the service, great or small.

• Cierra Chastain

You can’t please everyone is a statement that caught my eye. Being a people pleaser, it is hard to see other people displeased or upset with me. I know I will never be able to please everybody because I am not perfect, but I strive to please the one who created me. I remind my self daily, to just enjoy these times we have with others, even though I will never be able to please everybody.

• Amanda Davis

I have written about this before but I will write about it again; public service is about helping people. I love the story about the woman and her medical bills. I loved hearing that Dan Boren asked a simple question to someone who wanted his support and it changed that womans life. Its the small things we can do to help others that mean the most. I always strive to do the small things for people that usually take little to no effort on my part but can completely change someones day, or better yet, their life. Once I help someone, I always have an overwhelming sense of pride in myself for putting someone before myself. Serving others seems so simple but very few people actually do put others first now a days.