Week 8 Presentation – Bill Curry Video Presentation

I hope you enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation as much as I do every time I hear it. His comments on the “fellowship of the miserable”, “the pain of discipline or the pain of regret” and “being comfortable in your own skin” are important tenants for all of us to consider in our daily leadership journey. Provide your thoughts on either his thoughts as a whole, or a singular piece that has resonated with you.

• Beth Rawlins

“A saint is a person who does the right thing without even knowing it.”

Unexpected, undeserved, unrewarded acts of kindness warrant a response in every human being. Like the quote Bill Curry shared on what a saint is, these acts of kindness should not even be in our consciousness. They should be engrained into our very being, so much so that it isn’t what we do, rather it is who we are. In all our actions, when someone asks us, “Why?” our response should be the same as Curry’s mentor during the beginning of his football career; I don’t know. There should be no justification needed for an act of kindness. There should be no requirements or “qualifiers” needed for an act of kindness. There should be no needed reward for an act of kindness. Unexpected; undeserved; unrewarded. My desire is to get to the point where this kind of selflessness and leadership is not merely my lifestyle, but the very thing that defines who I am as an individual.

• Sunny King

Bill Curry used the term “fellowship of the miserable” to describe those people that do not believe in someone, and are there simply to criticize, making someone believe things are impossible. It is important to think beyond the fellowship of the miserable for a few different reasons. The primary reason being that, as leaders, it is important to be able to think beyond what others have thought, which we have heard from multiple speakers throughout the semester.When going into unchartered territories like leaders do, it is important to be comfortable in our own skin and confident with ourselves in the decisions we make in order for others to feel comfortable allowing us to take the lead. Bill Curry used the ecxample of a four year old to demonstrate this. Self-conciousness is a learned trait tthat children have not yet aqcuired. It is important for leaders to avoid this and remain confident in order to gain the trust of the group we aim to lead.

• Christina Traverso

I really enjoyed Mr. Curry’s presentation, particularly all the different facets of the way he spoke. First it was poetic, then abstract, then factual, and everything else in between, but there were two points about leaders he made that stuck out to me: the importance of being honest and being comfortable with yourself.
    Here, Mr. Curry brought up two of the most prevalent issues in modern American society, at least on an individual level: dishonesty and lack of self-esteem. We are the richest country in the world, yet we prescribe the most antidepressants. Sooner or later we’ll realize that material things don’t provide happiness, but that’s a different issue.
    On the subject of honesty, Mr. Curry described lying as something that “demeans you and destroys them”. When someone says “honesty is the best policy”, for many of us our first instinct to say “of course, that’s obvious.” Some of us might say “well, yes, unless telling the truth hurts someone. This seems perfectly justifiable, until we consider that lies almost never stay lies. Whether you want to use Watergate, Bill Clinton, or telling your mom you brushed your teeth before bed when you didn’t as an example, the fact is that the truth will eventually be found. Lying to someone doesn’t just destroy them, it destroys their trust in you, which takes years to build and seconds to break. Even if the truth hurts, it’s still far safer than having a lie blow up in your face in the future.
    The second issue Mr. Curry brought up was “being comfortable in your own skin”, which I interpreted as having self esteem. And, just to be clear, pride/arrogance is not synonymous with confidence/self-esteem. I thought it was interesting how Mr. Curry phrased it as “being comfortable with yourself”, rather than “loving yourself”, or somehow thinking you’re the best you can be. I would wager that every single person in America has struggled with self-esteem at one point or another. Personally, I believe this comes from the ridiculous amount of attention we put on physical appearance and the media in general, especially for women, but, while I certainly don’t have all the answers, I think there are two things we can remember to counteract some of the pressure we feel.
    Firstly, no two people are exactly the same. The whole “you’re your own perfect little snowflake” concept seems kind of cheesy at first, but if you can think about it from a different perspective, it becomes a little less cliche. Once someone dies, it’s often hard to accept, for a simple reason: there will never be anyone else like them. Similar, maybe, but never exactly the same, not even in the case of identical twins. Secondly, to quote Dita Von Teese, “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” It is literally impossible to please everyone, so that can’t be the goal. The goal is to be comfortable in your own skin, and not let anyone infringe on that, because that’s a quality of a great leader.

• Mariah Wagner

I really liked Bill Curry’s thoughts on being comfortable in your own skin. He told a story about a child who was very confident and comfortable in her own skin because no one had put doubt in her head by telling her that she can’t do something. This story actually saddened me because I think this shows how one person’s opinion can completely change who we are. We aren’t confident people and true leaders because we are afraid of what others might criticize us for. He also said “don’t let someone else define you.” I think this is very important as well. In today’s world, we need individuality, and people who aren’t afraid to be their own person. It is this uniqueness that creates such great leaders. His speech made me want to strive to be even more of my own person, and to not let others put doubt in my head about my skills.

• Benny Tham

I really enjoyed Bill’s presentation though he was not speaking to us in person on that day. I found it so true when he talked about the “fellowship of the miserable” — there will be people who will stop you from doing things you want to achieve, sometimes even in the beginning. However, we have to believe in ourselves that we are able to do great things. We have to believe that we can begin whatever we have potential on. Also, I have learned that great leaders know who they are and they are happy about themselves. We often let somebody define us as a person. From Bill’s presentation, I learned that we need to not let others define us but give others the impression that we have our thoughts and ideas on something. We are the one who choose “the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” Overall, his presentation as a whole has been a great lesson for me to learn, and I am sure that he has impacted many lives out there.

• Rachel Payne

Mr. Curry’s poem about throwing our log in the fire encompasses all of those main ideas therefor it is the major point that resonated with me. In order to throw our log in the fire we have to be comfortable in who we are and be confident in what we stand for or else we won’t stand up for anything at all and will die where we sit. Being the bigger and better person by sacrificing your log will help you defeat the fellowship of the miserable, you rise above them by proving them wrong and making a positive impact in others’ lives. It also prevents the pain of regret, you never have to wonder about if something could have turned out any better if you laid it all on the line and gave it your all. Ultimately, throwing your log in the fire is an unexpected, undeserved, and unrewarded act of kindness, which is what inspires people, and that’s what success is, helping others better themselves.

• Ashley Sells

First of all I loved everything about Bill Curry, he seems like an amazing man! One thing that stuck out to me was when he talked about “the pain of discipline or the pain of regret”; it’s one of my life mottos, and I could really relate to it since I’m training for Bikini Body Building. Every time I want to miss a workout I have to tell myself “someone else is out there getting stronger and faster” as Rocky would say. I would much rather suffer the pain now of working out, skipping late nights with friends, and saying no to the pizza, then to live my entire life with regret. Chasing your dreams is not easy, you have to be dedicated and disciplined. Bill Curry is 100% correct with is saying of “the pain of discipline of the pain of regret”, and it will stick with me every time I get the thought of wanting to cheat myself. Another thing I loved was when he spoke about if you cave in once your chances will go up to cave in again, but if you do the right thing then your chances of continuing to always do the right thing will incline. This should motivate anyone to never cheat themselves, and always do the hard but right choice.

• Ethan Wood

I really enjoyed the video of Bill Curry’s presentation. Despite not having much interest or knowledge in and about sports, I found his presentation the most moving of all the presentations we’ve had. He really had a certain way of profoundly connecting with and engaging his audience.
    I was particularly moved by his discussion of his decision to go to Georgia Tech against the advice of his high school counselor, his subsequent struggle to graduate, and the extraordinary amount of self-activation and personal control required to succeed in his chosen course. His single-minded determination to graduate from a school as academically challenging as Georgia Tech, in light of his relatively low level of preparation, was a pretty crazy ideal to hold. The amazing level of perseverance he showed just to graduate completely amazes me. His work ethic must have been amazing.
    Coming from someone who frequently has had an easy time getting through life resting on his laurels, seeing someone who has a work ethic as great as this man’s obviously is is always incredible. I have nothing but respect for this man. A truly great presentation by a truly great man.

• Gabrielle Devero

Bill Curry was very affective in showing how to be a great leader in simple ways. He reminded us that even children can be great models of what a true leader needs to be like. I was very moved by him saying to be comfortable in your own skin. It’s something so simple yet so effective. I can think of many times that I was put on the spot yet didn’t feel confident in myself or insecure. I didn’t work as effectively as I could have if I felt comfortable in my own skin and accepted all of myself.

• Jessica Casey

Bill Curry mentioned several characteristics of being a leader in his speech. I agreed with each and every point he talked about. Some of which included “Be comfortable in your own skin,” “Be utterly honest and curious,” “Believe in yourself because we all have the potential to do something great,” and to “Make time for the little people.” Each characteristic is not only important in its own way, but will guide someone in the right direction to becoming a great leader. I also really liked how he said we should aim to perform “Unexpected, unrewarded, and undeserved acts of kindness.” I will try my hardest to reflect the many characteristics of a leader, as mentioned in Bill Curry’s speech.

• Chantell Hay

I think that being comfortable in your own skin is one of the most important things we need to consider in society today. Our culture is providing a body image for people that sometimes seems unobtainable and it causes feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy. This image can cause so many negative things in our world. When you are confident and comfortable in your own skin, other people will look up to you.

• Olivia Cavazos

The subject that really stuck with me was being comfortable in your own skin. Lots of people try to conform to what is around them. Because they feel like this will make them apart of the so called in crowd. Or just because they merely want to fit in anywhere it does not necessarily have to be the popular group. Society really influences how some people act, it’s not always the best influence. I know I struggle being comfortable in my own skin and I would assume most people that are new to a school or organization are too. But you have to embarrass who you are and not change anything about yourself or even do things just to fit it. You are you, not a replication of someone else,

• Ashley Palmer

“Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.” We all have times in our live and people that impact our thoughts. We need to understand that some people have different circumstances in our life that results us to believe different things. We have to know that they are worthy of our exceptions and love.

• Kayla Auffenorde

I often struggle with being comfortable in my own skin when holding a leadership role. I concern myself too much with what others are expecting out of me that I end up losing myself to them. But I also find it difficult to reach the high standards placed upon me without being comfortable in my own skin. Although this is quite the predicament, Bill Curry encouraged us to remember who we are and where we came from. Just like a child, we need to be utterly confident and satisfied with who we are, for that is what makes an honest leader. But with this, comes, as Curry said, “the fellowship of the miserable”. They will never fail to try to tear us down, but it is all about our response. We cannot allow their negativity to define us. I believe that this is an extremely realistic problem that many of us face. There are so many bumps along the road and critics anxiously waiting to give their opinion. So the question then becomes, are we going to let the expectations of others shape us or are we going to be more like children and allow ourselves to reach the expectations of others by being comfortable with who we are?

• Hawley Austin

Bill Curry spoke about three lessons of leadership that we all must realize.

The first lesson was to be utterly comfortable in our own skin. He mentioned that great leaders know who they are and are comfortable with themselves. If we are not comfortable with ourselves, then how are others supposed to feel comfortable around us? Leaders are confident. They know who they are. These kind of people do not have a cool card. They stand out. Leaders that are comfortable in their own skin stand out in a crowd of followers.

The second lesson was to be utterly honest and curious. Sometimes we may get stuck in a situation where honesty will be more of a hindrance than a help, but we must remember that honesty is the best policy. We have to be utterly honest not only with others, but with ourselves as well. Avoiding or ignoring a problem will only make that particular problem much worse. He also mentioned that we shouldn’t let someone else define who we are. Every leader shares a certain set of traits and characteristics, but they are each unique as well. In our world today, no two leaders are the same. We cannot let others change or form who we are.

The third and final lesson of leadership according to Bill Curry was to have a feeling of destiny. He said “we know in our hearts that we have the potential to do something great.” We do not get the title of a leader handed to us on a silver platter, we work for it. We must always have a goal in front of us and strive to succeed at that goal. Leaders do not just stick to limits, they reach those limits and go beyond them.

Leaders come in all shapes and sizes. We all have stories that got us to where we are today. No matter how different we may seem, at the end of the day we are leaders. Our actions and ideas set us apart from everyone else.

• Blair Summers

Jarrett was right. Bill Curry really does know what he’s talking about. And has such a stage presence. I kept thinking that he reminds me of Ed Harris from Radio. His entire speech was packed full of golden nuggets, but one thing I particularly enjoyed was his comparison of a worthy leader to a child. His granddaughter is “utterly comfortable in her own skin, utterly honest and curious, and knows she has potential for greatness.” He poetically restated the basics. Things and people become cluttered and mislead, but a great leader remembers the simplicity and wonder that comes with being a child. I will try to keep in mind this week to remain comfortable in who I am, to not let others define me, and to occasionally remind myself that even though it may not always seem like it, I am capable of greatness.

• Christen Hickey

“You must be willing to spend your resources when there is nothing in it for you”. This statement really took to heart for me what I have been trying to live by this semester. People all over the world today are become more and more ruled by “what’s in it for me”. That kind of attitude is exactly the kind of attitude that won’t get anybody anywhere. You can’t succeed in life when every decision you make and everything you do is simply based on selfish ambition. Selfishness is exactly the kind of poison that drives every leader given a position of power to their downfall. Whether it’s money, fame, material, or even ideas, when the leader loses their vision and focuses on the “what’s in it for me-right now”, they will not succeed in leading or bringing anyone, included themselves, a better version of tomorrow.

• Allison Cox

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Bill Curry’s presentation. It was definitely one of my favorite motivational speeches that I have ever heard. I thought that his comments regarding “being comfortable in your own skin” were rather remarkable and it was definitely very eye opening. I had never thought that a 4 year old was the pure definition of a leader, but once he put it into perspective, I can’t stop thinking about it. Reflecting back on his speech, he kept mentioning to not let people define who you are as a person or a leader. I think that this is entirely important and a very good thing to be reminded of. We get so caught up in what society is doing that we don’t really have a chance to become our own person. Mr. Curry’s also stated that we “all have the potential to do great things”. Hearing it is one thing, but knowing that each of us have the potential is another. He was very passionate about that one particular statement. Overall, this is one speech that I would love to hear again and again and not get tired of listening to it.

• Kaley Everson

I thoroughly enjoyed his whole speech; and there was not one particular part that resonated because it all was very wise and thoughtful. However, I would not be able to elaborate on every detail in thought of sparing time.

The part of the speech that I enjoyed most was “Leaders are comfortable in their own skin.” How true is this? No one ever really thinks about it. Thinking about the big picture, people tend to overlook ideas and thoughts such as this one. It is so true though.

Leaders must be confident and comfortable in their own skin as well as assured in their choices. We all have heard “Confidence is key”, and it truly is. Great leaders stick to their promises and feel assured that they are doing the right thing. They are confident and comfortable- that is, comfortable in their own skin. We must know who we are; and with that, we must know that we ourselves are capable of making great decisions that can change others and show that we have the capacity to lead.

• Lauren Walker

First off I would like to say that I think he has been my favorite speaker so far. He truly kept my attention and made me want to listen and learn what he was saying. He made so many wonderful points that stuck with me but the biggest point that stuck out to me was that leaders make time for everyone. This is so true. Sometimes I have a hard time with this because my schedule is so busy. When I look at the big picture, I know that I can make time for everyone, especially those that are important to me. If you truly care about someone or something you will make time for them/it. True leaders know how to manage there time wisely. Something I am learning this year is that I have to decide what is most important to me, and so no to the things that aren’t. Im such a people pleaser that I believe I must say yes to everyone. This year has really helped me understand that I have to chose what means the most to me and what is most important.

• Denton Scherman

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s speech. But the one thing that stuck out to me was “being comfortable in your own skin”. As leaders we automatically stand out from others. If we aren’t comfortable with ourselves others can sway our opinions and views. The old saying is true that “if you don’t stand for anything, you will fall for everything”. We have to be confident in ourselves and capabilities. If we are confident then others will notice and follow the paths we set!

• Cierra Chastain

Some of the points that resonated with me were “don’t let somebody else define you” and “we have the potential for greatness”. We all have the freedom to express ourselves in our own creative way. We were created with a purpose, and are all unique. So don’t allow others to define you, step out and find who you were created to be. We all have the potential for greatness, so keep reaching until you get there.

• Shelby Allen

Bill Curry’s video is one of the most powerful presentations I have ever watched. I felt that he truly embodied what it means to be a leader, and his words were universal to all people in all walks of life. From the beginning, he humbled himself by sharing the struggles he faced during his college years, and how even to this day recognizes that period as the one that shaped him the most. What I admired most about Curry was his willing acceptance of every person or player, no matter their background. The poem that he recited, “The Cold Within” is the perfect example of how individuals let their pride and individual status or accomplishments hinder the group as a whole. Failing to accept those who you are working beside will limit every chance you have to be productive. Another example Curry used was the metaphor of “the huddle” in which every difference was erased, where black and white; rich and poor, come together for the same goal. It is a powerful image, and I believe if more companies and organizations played by these standards, productivity and morale would be raised tremendously. This is an ideal I believe my generation has a responsibility to implement as the future workers and leaders in their respective fields.

• Samuel Corrales

I prefer the plain of discipline rather than the pain of regret.
    I definitely understand having the pain of discipline. It’s easy to do the fun stuff in life, it’s HARD to do the right things in life. Looking back to his lecture about it, I know that I really need to stay disciplined when it comes to my school work. That relates to me with when he talked about being comfortable in you town skin.
    I am okay with not going out every night and being the odd one out when it comes to getting my homework. I’m okay with being concerned about my grades rather than my social life. I could probably relate that also to how I dress, or what I do, but we all got carried away sometimes in college with impressing people that we want to be our friends.
    I’m fine with being a half nerd. I say half because I have to study forever to remember things instead of the people who read things once and have it memorized.
    It really was a great lecture to hear.

• I really enjoyed the presentation this past Tuesday. It was very neat to hear from such an accomplished football player and coach. His stories of the old glory days of football excellence were a nice change of pace compared to the other presentations we’ve had. I really enjoyed the part of being comfortable in your own skin in his presentation. As a leader I think it is very important to be comfortable in your own skin. I believe that this is an important attribute to possess because I would find it impossible to lead people if you are not comfortable with yourself and your abilities. Once you can believe in yourself and know what you’re comfortable doing then you can lead people in your organization.

• Tanner Gore

When he said the pain of discipline or the pain of regret he caught my attention a little more because in college we make mistakes. Yet when it comes to the mistakes we make its not always something terrible that we did. We need to think of the things we don’t do on a daily basis. College is all about making connections. We need to discipline ourselves by getting out of our comfort zones and extend a hand to anyone and everyone. With attempt comes failure. But a true failure is one we don’t learn from. You’ll only regret not learning anything from a situation if you never take the chance.

• Kayla Standlee

The part that resonated with me the most was the statement about being comfortable in your own skin. If you are not comfortable in your own skin, there is a great chance that others will not be comfortable around you. If you are not confident in yourself, how can your teammates and followers be confident in you? How can you lead in fear? You cannot. You will hold back and will not reach your full potential. It is crucial to be comfortable in your own skin and to be confident in everything you do. When you can accomplish that, you will reach your full potential as a leader.

• Malana Smith

I absolutely enjoyed his speech!
    One of the biggest things that Bill Curry talked about is for leaders to make time for the “little people”. I can’t express how important it is to be available to people, even if they are “below your stature”. I work a lot in ministry and one of the biggest things we learn is that we can make more of an impact off of the stage than on it because its when we are off the stage that we are able to build relationships. The people you lead must be able to trust you and how can they trust someone they don’t know?

Something else that absolutely resonated with me was the poem about the logs. That is the perfect example of how we cannot live for ourselves or we will have not have light in our life or help bring light into the lives of others.

Absolutely enjoyed it!

• Callie Thompson

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation about leadership this week. My favorite part was the part about “the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” I think anyone who has ever played a sport can relate to this, because without listening to your coaches discipline you, you definitely feel the pain of regret when you lose. This can be the exact same way in life. It can be hard to discipline ourselves sometimes because we are finally on our own and making our own decisions. We decide to put our wants before our needs and we quickly find out what it is like to regret it. The good thing about this is it usually does not take us long to learn this lesson and whenever we find it hard to discipline ourselves later on, remembering those feelings of regret push us to do what we need to first and help us to become better leaders.

• Ilyssa Owen

Bill Curry touched on the aspect of “being comfortable in your own skin” being a positive leadership trait to obtain. I have to choose this advice to comment on, because I feel that it is so true and such a powerful part of being a leader. I feel strongly about this advice because if I had to give a speech about leadership; it is something that would appear in my own speech about my own personal journey in becoming a leader. I can remember I time when I was not comfortable at all in my own skin, I had very low confidence in myself. I was so shy, that I even ate lunch by myself the first day of middle school. That version of Ilyssa, that did not have even the confidence to make a friend the first day of school, would have never been able to accomplish half of the leadership activities that the Ilyssa today has accomplished. Had I never decided to grow as a person and make positive changes, I would not have had the courage to start a philanthropic club in high school or join a philanthropic club here at UCO. The moment I decided that I was “ok” with myself as a person was the moment I took my first step towards leading others. I realized that if I was doing the right thing and helping others then it did not matter what my peers thought. This was such a significant event in my life that I remember the day I became comfortable in my own skin. New Year’s Eve 2009! A simple resolution set off a life changing change of events that has given me the confidence to impact others’ lives in positive ways. This advice is easy to give, but for some people hard to act on. If the opportunity ever arises for me to help someone feel comfortable in their own skin I would certainly hope I can relay a positive personal story and they too can experience the positive impact that comes with being comfortable accepting and loving who you are!

• Andrea Allison

Of everything Bill Curry talked about, being comfortable in your own skin resonated most with me. I have always had a difficult time being comfortable with who I am and sharing my life with others. It is one thing that I believe holds me back and I need to work on. We all have our flaws, and this is definitely one of mine. I always look up to those that are comfortable in their own skin and I am slowly improving on this flaw. Ayn Rand once said“The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.” I can not value those who follow me if I do not first value myself as a leader. Bill Curry seemed extremely comfortable with being who he was and his words definitely had an impact on me.

• Shelby Eddleman

The part that struck me the most was when he talked about honesty, and about how he saw that honesty in a little child. Though maturity is important, we must learn from children when it comes to certain aspects of our lives. Being completely and utterly honest, as the speaker talked about, is so essential to leadership. If leaders are not transparent and honest, how are followers supposed to trust them? We must take the cues from that 4 year old, and always tell the whole truth. I do believe tact must be involved with honesty, but lying is never the answer. Lying only hurts ourselves and others. Bill Curry did a great job at reminding us of this. His speech was truly inspirational, and I will take his ideas with me on my leadership journey.

• Cale Parnell

I liked Bill Curry’s point that leaders are comfortable in their own skins. They know who they are. They know their strengths. They can use those strengths to get things done. I also like the pain of regret. It’s easy to sit idly by and watch others do things. But we need to see that we should be jumping at those opportunities to change something and to make a difference.

• Chelsea Ratterman

The part about “being comfortable in your own skin” resonated a lot with me. It took me a long time, especially through high school, to be comfortable with myself an my personality. Society dictates what is “cool” or not through the trends and acceptable behavior of our peers, and if we do not conform, we are branded oddities. When we reach higher education, those restraints are lifted as individuality is encouraged. The importance of individuality and accepting yourself is pushed during secondary education, but is contradicted by the average and systematic education pushed upon us.

Knowing who you are results in a happier life, both personally and career-wise, and needs to be paid better attention to during the developmental years.

• Sheyla Rabei

Something that really spoke to me during the presentation was his view on the pain of discipline or regret. Although we are only a few weeks into our college lives, this is something I can already relate to. We now have the choice to go to class or skip, taking the time to do volunteer work or catch up on sleep, study or play around. Now that we have these freedoms, we must discipline ourselves to do the right things, or else we’ll regret it. A problem of humankind is the desire for immediate satisfaction. Playing around instead of studying may seem like a great idea in the moment, but it’ll feel horrible to think back on during a test when you regret not studying instead. I’d much prefer the pain of discipline rather than the pain of regret, since it is something that you get rewarded for in the end, unlike the latter. If only I could get myself to let go of the need for immediate gratification!

• Reagan Perry

Bill Curry’s point of “being comfortable in your own skin” really resonated with me. Being confident in your capabilities is one of the biggest and most necessary qualities a leaders must possess. People won’t feel comfortable following your lead if you can’t assure them that you are making the right decision. We need leaders in this world who are comfortable standing up for themselves and fighting for what they believe in.

• Matthew Frech

Bill Curry’s speech was absolutely fantastic. He touched on so many things and I loved how he used football as an analogy for such a broad spectrum of things. His point of being comfortable in your own skin is something that can appeal to absolutely everyone. It is so hard to remember on a daily basis, but we are the person we want to be, so we should make it a goal to make that person someone we would be comfortable being around. There are times when it is hard to be comfortable when we are feeling down, but it is so important to always remain genuine to ourselves and to others. And on that point, not only should we be comfortable in our own skin, we should learn to accept others for the skin that they live in every day. Accepting others for the person they truly are is the best way for us to accept the person we truly are.

• Brady Sowell

What really resonated with me in the video was Bill’s comment about “the pain of discipline or the pain of regret”. The pain of discipline is the hardest pain to face in my opinion. Usually the pain of discipline is a conscious decision that we have to make in order to make ourselves a better person. Whether its depriving yourself of what you want the most or not following the crowd, self discipline is a hard choice and a hard pain to face. The pain of regret is the resulting pain of not making the decision to discipline yourself which is also a hard experience. If you are going to face pain make the tough but wise decision to face the pain of discipline.

• Brittney Rutledge

There were so many different points that Bill Curry made during his speech that truly made an impact on me. His ability to draw the audience in and use personal stories to connect with his audience has made his speech the one that has had most influence me. When he states that the only two pains in life are the pain of discipline and the pain of regret, it hit home for me. In life you are faced with these two pains; either you can discipline yourself enough to accomplish your goals or you can live with the regret you feel for those accomplishments. In my own personal experience the pain of regret far out ways that of any pain you feel while accomplishing the goal. Something that tied into this was when he spoke of the fellowship of the miserable. These are the people who will bring you down and tell you you cant. The ones who will make you believe that the pain of regret is the easy way. Everyone in their life will be faced with members of this fellowship, people who tell you that you are not good enough and that you can not accomplish your goals. But that is when you must look deep within yourself and see that the pain of regret will far outweigh any other pain and tell yourself that “you have the ability to do something great”.

• Daniel Fijalka

I enjoyed Bill Curry’s statement, “What you do in that moment of truth, you’ll make the right decisions if you have prepared enough times.” This thought really makes me think about the decisions I make every day. I think this saying tests you in a way, and makes you rethink how you go about each day. Every day, we should completely prepare ourselves for the next day, so that no matter what, we will be ready for whatever comes. When you do have to make a tough decision, the decision will be much easier to make, and you’ll feel more confident about your decision because of your preparations. I also enjoy this statement because anyone can apply this to their own life and benefit from it.

• Joseph George

I like the how he said to be comfortable in our own skin and to know who we are. I feel like at times we, as leaders, tend to model/imitate someone else, cause if we show the kind of leader we are, we are afraid to get judged. The society we live in feeds off what people think, if someone were to think bad of a person then it could literally destroy who they are. We have to be ourselves to know who we are and then we could find out our purpose. We must be comfortable in our own skin, to be ourselves then we may fond our own and original purpose.

• Maddisen McCleary

Bill Curry had so many points that stuck with me! One of the ideas that he shared was being comfortable in your own skin. This is something that I have valued since I was little. My mom always told me to be weird and love myself for not being what everyone wanted me to be. He also stressed how important it was to know that we can be something great and do whatever we want. I am the biggest dreamer I know! I have been creating loooong list of things that I dream to accomplish. I have already started marking checks down my list! These couple of ideas stuck out to me the most because these are characteristics that I want to continue having and sharing with other people! I have a passion for leadership and I this presentation reminded me why I love being a leader!

• Ashton Smith

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation because of all the topics he spoke upon. I felt like I could really relate to a lot of the things he talked about including the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. So many times in my life I was tested and had to show discipline whether it was in school, work, or sports. Having discipline not only shows that you have strength in whatever you are doing, it shows you have the passion to stay true to what must be done. The one thing that caught my attention the most was the pain of regret. There has been several times that I have gone through life and looking back I regret some opportunities that I could of taken, that I passed up. To me regret almost eats you up and really bothers you when you know you didn’t grasp the chances placed in your life. Once I started to realize that, I tried to live my life giving myself the chance to prove that whatever opportunity I am given is completely worth it.

• In the video, Mr. Curry talked about then President Roger Webb’s granddaughter Annagrace, about how she was comfortable in her own skin. She hadn’t been told she was good at this or wasn’t good at that, she was just herself. Somewhere between 4 years old and adulthood we let ourselves believe that other people know better then ourselves what we are capable of doing. In fact, the only person limiting an individual is whomever the individual perceives to have power or influence over their self worth. We are extremely capable individuals, we just need to relearn how to be comfortable in our own skin.

• I thought Bill Curry’s presentation was awesome. Having played sports, the points that he made from a coaches perspective really made sense. When he talked about being comfortable in your own skin was when it really caught my attention. As a leader, you must be able to feel good about yourself before others will want to follow you. Bill being a football coach, I could really tell that he knew how to control his team and was a very apparent leader figure. having those type of skills will be a crucial part of one’s leadership goals in the future.

• Katie Sheehan

Among the many wise things Mr. Curry shared, one piece of advice that resonated within me was ” Do not let someone else define you.” A habit that Is easy to fall into is molding one’s self in the image of which others want them to be instead of being who they truly are. Although it is easier it to fall into the sterotype people put you in, standing up for who you are and what you believe is a nessecity for being a leader. K