Week 7 Presentation – Martha Burger

Martha discussed four things that you can begin to practice to enhance your leadership and personal capacity. Choose one of these items and discuss why you feel this stands out in your opinion.

• Kaley Everson

The four topics that Mrs. Burger discussed in class were: over delivering, volunteering, presenting solutions and paying it forward. The scenario that stood out most to me was the last in the list- paying it forward. This is because, respecting others, even if they are low on the totem pole, shows that you are able to view others as equals. I believe this is a crucial part of mastering leadership in itself. Although this seems like it may be a new concept, it truly is not. Everybody learns from childhood to “treat others how you want to be treated” is the golden rule. Leadership begins when you understand how to treat elders and peers.

• Daniel Fijalka

I think one of the best points Martha Burger made that can enhance leadership is to overdeliver. It is really easy to go through every day only meeting the standard expectations of your employers, colleagues, or family. When you overdeliver, I think you not only show excellent qualities of leadership, but you show a desire to be a leader. This also increases your personal capacity by making you feel better about yourself. I know I feel better about myself when I have gone above and beyond and given my very best effort on a project. Also, other people will start to notice how you overdeliver, and they might be inspired to overdeliver themselves.

• Malana Smith

One trait of leadership that really stood out to me was the idea of authenticity. Some of our other speakers have also pointed this out as a key element in leadership that is needed in order to truly lead people in the what they should go, or where you would like to take them. We can be so much more efficient when we are actually being who we are verses trying to replicate the characteristics of someone else. That can be absolutely exhausting and a total waste of time because most people can see right through you, plus you’re not as confident because you are always so worried about saying the wrong thing and being found out.

As a leader, we need to be who the world needs us to be-and that is to be ourselves. A cookie cutter person/society will not get things done. Nothing will advance and nothing will flourish. We each need to be authentic to who we are, what we are interested in, and what change we want to see in the world. We can be used for specialized purposes in order to get something done that maybe someone of another interest or character may not be equipped to do. There’s a reason for why we are the way we each and it would be a shame to take it for granted.

• Ashley Sells

Martha Burger talked about how you need to communicate, with that said; she also talked about how you don’t have to be the best speaker, and you should never stray too far from the natural type of leader you are. She said you should take a class to help with your speaking skills, if you’re not the best speaker. I think knowing how to speak in front of a crowd is extremely important for a leader. You have to vocalize your vision to your followers or group, and stand up for what’s right. If you don’t know how to communicate then those things can’t happen, so I think communicating is a vital skill of being a good leader.

• Christina Traverso

The quality of leadership that stuck out to me in Martha Burger’s presentation was the importance of over delivering. To be honest, the first thing I thought of in response to that was the scene in the Devil Wears Prada, where Anne Hathaway’s character is given the impossible task of tracking down the Harry Potter manuscript. Despite initially giving up, she she eventually not only gets a copy of the manuscript, but makes two copies, had them bound, and sent them to her boss’s twin nieces.
    The point is, your boss (or whoever is asking you to complete a task) already expects whatever they tell you to get done. They don’t expect you to overachieve, and when you do, they won’t forget it. Extra effort is a language not many people know. If you want to be a good leader, deliver. If you want to be a great leader, over deliver.

• Beth Rawlins

Present solutions stands out among the four action points that Martha Burger presented. Without solutions, visions become theoretical. Without a tangible vision, leadership becomes useless. Most people in society can identify a problem that needs fixing, a flaw that needs changing, or a need that must be met. However, those individuals who have a vision set themselves apart from the majority. For any vision to be beneficial, there needs to be a solution. The ability to come up with a solution is a distinguishable characteristic of a successful leader.
    Presenting solutions is important because it is an action point that is crucial in becoming a successful leader. That is not to say, however, that an unattained solution indicates a poor leader. It is important to keep in mind that presenting solutions is an important contributing factor, but is not an exclusive determiner. Like Martha said, not all leaders are successful, and not all successful individuals are leaders.

• Andrea Allison

One of the requirements of our Lessons in Leadership class is to complete a group service project. This goes hand in hand with one of the topics that Martha Burger discussed with us. She talked about volunteering and that is something very important to many of us. We must be able to give back as much as we take and experience the lives of other people to be better leaders. A good leader cannot just focus on themselves. They must understand the world around them and the people in it. Volunteering can help a leaders vision become more clear. Martha seems to be an experienced and successful woman and her advice was simple and straight forward. Volunteer opportunities are all around us. If we want people to respect us and follow us, we must first show them that we are willing to roll up our sleeves and work side by side with them, not just sit in an office giving orders. Volunteering often does more for the volunteer than those they are serving. It can warm your heart and make you truly think about some of the things going on in the world around you. A well-learned and hard working leader is the best kind of leader and often the best kind of person. Taking a few hours out of your month to try something new, like volunteering in a new atmosphere can help you to develop a true vision of where you want your life, and the life of those depending on you, to go.

• Mariah Wagner

I think the one skill that stood out to me would be the skill of over delivering. I think this skill is very important because it shows how dedicated you are to getting something done. When you put in this kind of work, people will want to follow you, and you will move up the ladder quicker in your occupation. Over delivering is simply going above and beyond what is asked of you. Over delivering will also help you to feel more accomplished aft a task is finished because you out so much time into it.

• Jessica Casey

Martha Burger discussed four things in which we could begin to practice to enhance our leadership and personal capacity. These things were to Volunteer, Overdeliver, Present Solutions, and Pay it Forward. The point that stood out to me the most was “Pay it Forward.” This is an idea to perform random acts of kindness to those who seem to need it most. In addition, it is meant to be done without any form of payment in return. Hence, the person who received the act of kindness will hopefully turn around and do the same thing to someone else. I always try to do the best I can to “Pay it Forward” as I believe everyone should. It is an excellent way to be portrayed as an example of leadership to others.

• Rachel Payne

My favorite point Ms. Burger made was the final one of paying it forward. She brought up the fact that as a leader it is your responsibility to help guide and advise those whose shoes you have once been in. We often forget that those who are in charge were not always holding positions of power and may have started off exactly where we are today. They have valuable advice and experiences to share with us. For me, I spent my high school years involved in a phenomenal youth group and now that I’ve graduated out of my youth group I have dedicated time to be a sponsor to help those youth who are currently in the chapter of life that I just finished. I hope more people see the benefit in humbling themselves to serve those who are of lesser rank. We need to build up those who are beneath us because they are the future.

• Tanner Gore

The concept that resonated the most with me is that you need to offer solutions with every problem. I believe this stands out because when we present a problem to a superior it shows work ethic when we come with a solution also. The best way to catch someone’s attention is when you have a problem find a solution instead of waiting for someone else to. Whether your solution works or not it won’t matter. You show dedication to your job by trying to solve the problem instead of handing it off to the next person.

• Lauren Walker

One of the four rules she gave us was to be considerate of your colleagues, even if they are at the bottom of the totem pole. This one definitely stood out to me the most. It has always been important to me to have respect for everyone. Each and every individual is just as important no matter what title they hold. I would expect to be help at the same level as well. Giving everyone the same respect is beneficial in the work field in so many ways. I truly believe people get along better and work well with each other. We need to be considerate of others at all times.

• Kayla Auffenorde

The thing that stood out to me the most was the concept of over-delivering. By excelling past the bar you establish credibility. In order for people to respect and consider you as a leader you must go the extra mile. Over-delivering can both help you obtain and maintain a leadership role. By simply going outside of the requirements and adding more detail, people begin to notice you. With this attention comes credibility, but credibility can easily be lost so it is important to not stop over-delivering once you achieved a higher role. By doing so as a leader, your team too will over-deliver because of the expectations you have set. I think it is important to make a name for yourself but I also think it is important to remain humble while you over-delivering, because it is easy to let cockiness creep up and destroy you. Therefore, you should always strive to go beyond the limitations and excel to your best potential but stay in check with yourself to make sure that your pride does not blind you form your goals.

• Chantell Hay

I think the most important thing to practice is to be considerate of others. This is not only a quality to attain as a leader, but also as human being. The golden rule is to treat others how you would want to be treated. I think this should be taken very literally. Not everyone can be at the top of the totem pole, so it is imperative that we take those at the bottom into consideration. Working with others is one of the most beneficial ways to get something done, so knowing how to do so is completely necessary.

• Olivia Cavazos-Hudson

The point to volunteer to do things stood out in my opinion. It is not very common in this time for people to openly volunteer to do something. Of course you have those people that would drop what they are doing to volunteer. But many people today would not unless there is some kinds of incentive to volunteering. So the fact that Mrs. Burger said that volunteering can enhance your leadership and personal capacity is great. Whenever you volunteer people understand how nice and willing you are to do things without having to be forced. They learn that you are a nice generous, which is how we awnt all leaders to be,

• Allison Cox

Martha Burger made some very important comments regarding leadership. One of the four that resonated with me the most, and I believe is a good quality in every leader, is to overdeliver. Mrs. Burger said that you should “go above and beyond” in every situation or task that you are faced with. I think that this is especially true when you are coming into a new position and you are wanting to prove your worth. Anyone can come in somewhere and complete the tasks readily at hand, but it takes a great leader with great skills to exceed the expectations of not only your boss, but your coworkers as well. I strive in every situation I am faced with to be a good example for others to follow.

• Blair Summers

All four of her guidelines made sense and were well-presented, but one that I specifically thought about was the importance of presenting solutions, and the way in which we choose to do so. Not only should a great leader have a solution, but be able to put his or her idea in layman’s terms with a solid plan of action. This principle coincides with communication in a workplace or group setting. The ones who truly know the most and have a deeper understanding of an issue or solution are the same ones who can avoid condescending vocabulary and excess detail to get down to the heart of the matter and break things down step by step. This is a strong idea to abide by for any leader, speaker, or team player.

• Hawley Austin

The item that stood out to me the most was volunteering. When we hear the word volunteer, we often think of going out and doing something for others such as helping at a food bank or homeless shelter, but the context of the word volunteer means more than that. Throughout my leadership life, I was always told to step up. Martha Burger stressed that the word volunteer means step up. If something needs to be done, do not wait for someone to ask you to do the task. Take it upon yourself to just do it. Leaders are always given important tasks, but a great leader will realize when something needs to be done and they will act upon it without being asked or told to do so. This particular item stands out to me because it is something we face often. James Humes once said, “one secret of leadership is that the mind of a leader never turns off.” I think this statement is very true because a great leader is always ready for a new task. To be a great leader, one must be willing to step up and do what is needed at that particular moment.

• Lexi Banister

Out of the four things Martha stated that we, as leaders, could begin to practice, volunteering truly stuck out to me. I have grown up in a house that has focused so much time and effort in giving back to the community in which we have been placed. Volunteering is so important to me because there is so much need for it in the community that even the smallest things leave a great impact. As leaders, we have been given opportunities that others have not, so why not lend a helping hand? Volunteering should be done with a pure heart and good intentions, not because we have to but because we want to. The community has raised us, the parks gave us fun– clean them; our neighbors took us in– help them; we have shelter and food– feed the homeless. Even the smallest thing can have such a large impact; the world we live in is beautiful, giving back to it and the people around us only makes sense.

• Joseph George

I feel like the point of legacy was the one that stood out to me the most. Most of in this class are freshman and when we move up in the ranks, others will look up to us. When we leave, people might not remember who we were or what we said, but if it made a difference in their lives they will not forget how it made them feel. To create an amazing legacy, I feel like one must love each other, treat each other with equality, and works hard to make that everyday difference in each others lives.

• Ashley Palmer

Te four topics were: Volunteer, Overdeliver, Present solutions, Pay it forward. I believe as a leader it is crucial to offer to do something that your asking others to do. This is what makes or breaks a leader because there are two types of leaders those who say or those who do. Volunteering in your community is also crucial because you need to get you name out there to the community for something beyond the power you hold.

• Ethan Wood

I think that the most important point that Mrs. Burger stressed was to over-deliver. Giving everything 110% is sure to gain the notice of your employers, coworkers and and competitors, and will do more for ensuring your success than anything else you can do. When an employer asks something of you, give your employer everything asked of you, and then some. This shows ability, drive and motivation to do your very best on anything given to you. I doubt that anything else you could do will get you noticed for a promotion faster than this.

• Brittney Rutledge

Martha Burger mentioned that in order to be a good leader you must know what it is you are talking about. Doing your homework on the subject that you are discussing and or going to be interviewed about will keep you from coming to conclusions that are ill informed. Knowledge is always power. If you want to get ahead in an area you must become knowledgeable on the subject. Being a good leader is being well informed. You can make decisions based on all aspects of the subject or conflict. If you make decisions being ill informed you could easily make the wrong one. People will not follow someone who does not make good decisions while leading. People will follow the one who makes the best decisions, who is well informed, and is able to inform their follows on the matter at hand.

• Samuel Corrales

***Presenting Solutions***
    I’m going to write about how we need to start doing more of this as leaders, instead of getting over this aspect quicklier.
    As smart and productive leaders, we always think that our ideas are meaningful. We never really think that much can go wrong, and we see our ideas as innovating and bulletproof. Sadly that’s not always the case. Instead of constantly thinking that our projects are concrete and realistic, there is always the need to analyze all the possibilities. Failure is one of those possibilities.
    It is always best for us to be willing to come to a compromise. We never want to bust someone else’s idea, we just don’t like it when our ideas are busted. Never give up on a project because it’s too difficult to work it out, make sure you figure out the problem and terminate it for the greater good of the next year’s class (that also goes along with one of the four point about leaving a legacy and paying it forward). We need to all present solutions whenever something looks disasterours, or when something disasterous happens.
    Being a leader isn’t about having pride, it’s about being able to but our prides aside and think “Big Picture” and “Win, Win” to come to a compromise where everyone benifits from it. Lets all present awesome solutions y’all! (:

• Shelby Allen

Out of the 4 points that Martha presented, I believe that curiosity stood out the most to me. Martha mentioned the quote that “not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.” She emphasized the importance of staying up to date in literature and news that pertains to your chosen career field. This is a point that I think I’ve forgotten during my time in college, and would like to start integrating the closer I get to graduation. Constantly staying on top of our evolving world will only enhance what you learn in the classroom, and impress employers in the interview. Supplementing your education with your own outside research is necessary to quickly excel in your chosen field. To be a great leader, you must continually question what is accepted and never be content with settling for anything less than forward progress.

• Of the four leadership traits that Martha discussed with us on Tuesday, I would say that vision is the one that stuck out to me the most. Vision is important because to be a leader you need to have a vision of where you want your organization to go. If you don’t have have a vision then the people you are leading will not trust your decisions as much as they could. The other traits I feel are very important when discussing leadership as well especially communication. These two traits are some of the most important when discussing overall leadership qualities in my opinion.

• Cierra Chastain

Over deliver was the main point that stood out to me. When you are asked to do a certain task or complete a project don’t just complete it, go the extra mile. With a strong work ethic, you will be able to complete any task handed your way. Many people just do the work to get the job done, but look how much farther you will be by working to over deliver. Those who work hard will prosper.

• Denton Scherman

The one thing that stuck out to me was to “over deliver”. A lot of people say that if you do that, it will look like you are just an over achiever and look like you are “trying” too hard. But if we do not take the extra step then what will set us apart from everyone else? Doing the little extra work and over delivering is what makes you stand out over the average. Even if we are considered leaders we need to still over deliver and keep striving to be better, because others will work hard to be on the same level as us. Taking that extra step can help you in every aspect of life as well. Over delivering is a great quality to have.

• Madelyn Ferguson

One of the points that stood out to me was present solutions to every problem you find. I thought this point was very unique. It really is a good quality to have in a leader. As someone who has been in lower positions before it is nice to go into a situation with a superior who has answers to your questions.As opposed to a leader who does not. It really is a quality in a leader that seems to be overlooked, but it really does make a difference when you are actually working with someone. It also makes a leader sound prepared and studied. I personally would like to be a leader who is prepared, so i hope i can apply this in my life.

• Kayla Standlee

I think volunteering is the best thing you can do to enhance your leadership and person capacity. Volunteering shows that you love what you are doing and you are willing to work without profit. Volunteering builds character that cannot be built any other way. It teaches you humility and compassion. To be a successful leader, humility and compassion are two very important attributions. Volunteering also helps with confidence. To be a good leader, you have to have confidence that you can effectively lead your group to produce the greatest impact possible. There is nothing negative that comes out of volunteering. That is why I feel that it has the greatest impact on a leader and their character.

• Benny Tham

“No matter how hard-fought the issue is, never get personal.” This is one of the most essential points that has resonated me most throughout the presentation by Martha. I agree very much on this point because I have seen many individuals not behaving as usual when they come to know that things are getting harder. They sometimes get very personal and people around them start to dislike them because they make decisions that might not make sense. As leaders, we need to make sure that we are leading our team well by not giving them the feeling that we are not trustable. We should still face problems with pride and do our best to solve the problems right in front of us. Getting personal during hard times equals to not being responsible to the problems as leaders.

• Matthew Frech

The thing that stuck out to me most about Martha’s presentation and something that I always take to heart is the idea of paying it forward. I believe that this is something that many people lose sight of, but something that is really important to keep in the back of our heads. When other people do good deeds for us, our natural response is to want to pay that person back. However, we all know that as the giver, we don’t necessarily want anything in return, we just want to see something good come out of what it is we have given. In that way, we want to see someone pay it forward. That way, our good deeds not only effect the individual we intended to help, we keep effecting more and more people and it is a much better feeling in return. So when someone gives you something and tells you not to pay them back, make sure you turn around the other way and pay it forward; Not for yourself, but so you can continue the natural chain of prosperity that was intended by the first unselfish individual

• Ilyssa Owen

I very much enjoyed Martha Burger discussion about leadership for several reasons, but mainly because she gave really fantastic real-world advice that I believe are helpful not only now in college, but that will begin to really come in handy as we join the workforce. She spoke of leaders maintaining the trait of authenticity, and anytime a speaker mentions this quality my ears perk up, because it is a quality that I find to be one of the most, if not the most important for leaders to have. Martha Burger also gave advice, four actions, that could enhance our leadership capacity and our personal capability. Of these four actions it is “volunteer” that stood out among the others in my mind. I remember reading the word “volunteer” on her PowerPoint, and thinking to myself, “Oh, I love that!” Volunteering is fun and so its leadership quality that is not one I need to focus on improving. Then, Martha explained that when she said “volunteer” she did not mean community service, she meant volunteering for the various tasks that your teacher, boss, parent, etc. ask for help with. I realized that it is tasks like this that are not necessarily the most fun, that I need to be more willing and eager to accomplish and help with. Sometimes I am nervous to do special tasks for my teachers/bosses because there is a fear of failure in front of these mentors. My goal is to overcome this rather selfish fear, and volunteer in any case that is presented to me.

• Ashton Smith

On Tuesday during Mrs. Burger’s speech she discussed four things that can enhance leadership and personal capacity. Out of these four I think the one that stood out to me most was legacy. In leadership it is so important to leave a lasting impression and legacy behind after you are gone. Whenever you are gone, people will remember you for not just what you did, but who you were as a person. Being a leader your expectations of leaving a great legacy behind are so much greater than the rest of society. To leave a legacy people will remember includes many of the things that Mrs. Burger talked about. Staying true to who you are. Being curious. Educating yourself and knowing what is going on will benefit you immensely in the long run. Having a vision. If you know where your going and how you are going to get there then you will achieve and reach the highest potential. Leaving a legacy for people to remember us is so important because by our legacy people can learn and know how to be leaders who can make a difference.

• I just feel the one thing she said was to talk to the people your leading. If you can make yourself accountable then they will be accountable for you. Everything starts with the leader, if you lead they will follow. That’s what I think is one of the bests things she said. Also some of the quotes she used I really enjoyed, like when she said it’s hard to lead a Calvary charge if they are embarrassed to be on a horse. But all in all it was a very good presentation…

• Sheyla Rabei

Martha Burger stressed the importance of volunteering to do work. If any one word could describe a dedicated leader it would be ‘volunteer’. Volunteering to do work means that you’re not required to do it, and it displays so many other traits that can be found in a vast majority of leaders. What makes a leader is how they step up to do the work – how they take control, especially in situations when no one else wants to. In today’s market, it’s a very valuable characteristic and it’s something employers genuinely want to see. A person that takes initiative shows that they’re willing and able to go above and beyond what’s expected of them. In the workplace, it gets them noticed by their bosses. It’s something that can distinguish a CEO from someone who just takes orders. Volunteering to do work that isn’t required of you displays your capability to take on more than your job description, to help out somebody else. It shows compassion and reliability, but most importantly, it shows leadership.

• Cale Parnell

I think one really important things you have to have is strategy. If I’m in control of the situation I don’t want to leave anything up to chance. I think every leader has to have a game plan. It doesn’t have to be detailed, but there should be a general idea of getting from point A to B; so things aren’t chaotic along the way. It would definitely be good to incorporate strategy into your leadership skills.

• Lydia Davis

Martha Burger discussed 4 concepts to enhance leadership: volunteer, overdeliver, present solutions, and pay it forward. The concept that stood out the most to me was the necessity to present solutions. So often we have these big dreams and ideas and consider the sharing of these ideas to be “leadership”. In reality, the leader is the one who takes the obscure ideas and applies a vision. It’s important to see things through to the end and seek answers for problems. This concept is a large part of being a leader and shouldn’t be over looked.

• Weston Schloss

Though George H.W. Bush said, “No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God,” I guess that he had an alright quote about leadership. Him saying that is wrong, though, and it excludes people.

He also said, “Use your power to persuade not intimidate,” which is a quote Martha Burger used in her presentation. Intimidation is an awful tactic, which hurts people. I want to leave every person a little better with every conversation that I have with them. That’s why I won’t use my power to intimidate people, or EXCLUDE PEOPLE like George H.W. Bush. I will use his quote as a lesson. Not to go back on my word or contradict myself. To actually mean what I say. That’s why this quote stands out to me.

• Christen Hickey

The four points Martha made at the end were all valid and appropriate in theory; however, in my experience so far, two of these things can also be dangerous when approached the wrong way.

“Volunteer”
    Signing yourself up for every opportunity that comes your way can be dangerous. Trying to impress your boss and look diligent to others around your are not negative things, but it’s also important to stay true to passions – as she mentioned earlier. Volunteer when you see an opportunity you want to take on and not always for everything that comes your way.

“Over deliver”
    Whether it’s because you’re trying to impress the management or you are the management leading by example, going above and beyond can be very admirable, but exhausting every resource(time, well being, ect.) you have is not worth the impression. Excess in what you excess in without trying “too hard” at everything. You should do what you love and suddenly your “over delivery” will become natural. It doesn’t take over delivery in every aspect of your work to show those around your dedication. Talents are excellent at over delivering themselves when you’re dedicated.

“Present Solutions”
    There are in fact a few things that can go wrong with presenting solutions, but in this case, the good may over weigh the bad. Even if your boss thinks your solution(s) is/are not going to work, it’s important to show you put some effort into resolving the problem before a method is even chosen. It shows you are using critical thinking and bold enough to communicate your ideas. It shows you trust yourself.

“Pay it forward”
    From my experience, sometimes it can be hard to want to “pay it forward” when you feel like you having been on the receiving end. You can feel like you either have nothing to give, or don’t want to give to others when they aren’t giving to you. People often “get out” of things what they “put in” to them, but that means you have to take the first step and start giving whether you know you will receive “it” back in some way or not. Paying it forward can really define a well rounded person.

• Martha Burger discussed four main ways to enhance our capacity as leaders, and although they all are necessary to form an outstanding leader, there is one point that really stands out to me. Personally, I believe being able to present solutions is one of the primary components to good leadership. This requires you to think above and beyond others, which is something almost every single speaker we have had has mentioned. Leadership is all about going into unchartered territory, so even if that solution is not the best route, it is still important because everyone is able to learn from this and make revisions in order to progess. It is very common for people to present problems, however presenting solutions is what sets leaders apart from those who do not.

• Callie Thompson

The part of Martha Burger’s presentation to enhance leadership that stuck out to me the most was to pay it forward. I feel like paying it forward is a big part of being a leader because leaders should always be open to helping others. Most of the time when others help us they do not need us to pay them back. One great way to lead is to remember what it felt like when they helped us and keep helping others in that same way. Paying it forward can make someone’s day and start a chain reaction and inspire others to be kind just because someone had already been kind to them.

• Tre'Auntae Fairbanks

I definitely think paying it forward stands out the most. One of the bloggers, (Chiristene Hickey) said it best, some feel like they have nothing to give, others dont want to give to those who aren’t giving. In being a leader, the title comes with the assumption that you have a lot to bring to the table, so a leader should never feel as though they have nothing to give. However, some people do feel as though they shouldn’t or can’t give to those who don’t reciprocate. (to me) The greatest leader of all, Jesus Christ lived His life with the principle of loving and serving others. He was paying it forward constantly. Once you take on the title, “Leader” giving back to those who can’t give, or even don’t want to give, models after Jesus Christ in that no matter what or who opposes you, express love toward that person and eventually a greater good will come. I love participating in activities where I get to instill life in another person. It is simply my way of showing God that i appreciate all He has done for me. He pays it forward to each and every one of us, whether we choose to realize it or not. I personally take pleasure in giving back, no matter what the task is, because it is a privilege to be able to help. Not everyone is capable of giving back, whether it be a physical hindrance, one of mental causes or just plain malice. I am blessed and grateful to not have those thing hold me back.

• Amanda Davis

I believe that the term “volunteer” can be used in many different ways. As students, we are always volunteering with philanthropies and things in that realm. We are constantly working on service projects and ways to give back to the campus community. But something that I loved that Martha talked about was volunteering for positions; for her it was a large position, but for us it could be a general member spot on a board or helping with a task last minute that needs to be done. I know that in my experience, doing those little things turned out to help me tremendously in the long run. They were the connnections that have made the biggest impact on my college career. I would recommend to anyone wanting to get involved on campus to always volunteer your time or talents and someone higher up will see it, and it will pay off.

• Reagan Perry

Martha Burger read a quote that is a perfect example of leader. “Great leaders are always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand.” I think having good communication skills is one of the most important assets a leader must have if they want to succeed at being a leader. We must be conscientious of how we communicate ourselves to others. A good communicator knows how to effectively get a point across and be able to compromise with the people you’re working with. If anybody is going to follow you, a good leader has to be able to show them confidence, determination, and hope. I think everyone would see an improvement as a leader from having better communication skills.

• Chelsea Ratterman

I think her point about over-delivering is really important. Many do the bare minimum in their lives, and over-delivering shows a capacity for self-motivation and a willingness to strive to be better. In leaders, it can inspire those in their groups to also reach for a point beyond their normal bounds and maybe even surprise themselves.

• Elizabeth Larios Rodriguez

For me, I love the pay it forward one! For me, I that makes the biggest difference! A true leader cares about the future! Someone invested in you to get you where you are and if no one did, don’t you wish someone did? Be the change u want the world to be! Impact people’s lives n hope they impact the next generations lives!

• Jon Lowrey

Martha’s point that most resonated with me was “Over Deliver”. Her expierience in the business landscape of Oklahoma was very interesting to listen to. I realized that sometimes, I deliver just as much as the projects I’m working on require and no more.
    This semester I spread myself across multiple campus organizations and I enjoy all of them and each one has a different set of things to offer. However,I have only established myself in three of them. I feel like the point Martha was trying to make was pick what’s important to you or where you want to excell and give your everything to that project.
    I realize that if I want to be successful on this campus, and I do, we all do, I need to pick a path, stick with it, and be sure to over deliver on the way.

• Gabrielle Devero

Martha Burger said that no matter how high you are in your company, never look down on the people lower on the totem pole. People often mistake leadership as being a bossy/intimidating figure when the true leaders are ones who give equal respect to every member on the team. From past projects that I have been apart of, I always worked better if the leader was considerate and respectful to me rather than rude and snobby.

• Rebekah Murphy

I think the most important thing you can do as a leader is over deliver because it shows your care and put your whole into things. People are not going to be as willing to do things or listen to you if they see you doing the minimum. By doing more than expected or asked of you, you will gain more respect from your colleagues. You will also know how to handle people and the different things they are working with because you have personally worked your way around all these jobs.

• All 4 of Martha’s points really translate well to real life scenarios, one being the concept of over-delivering. I’ve always been taught that nothing can go wrong from giving it 110%. There’s no point in doing something to me if you’re not going to give it your best shot. The further you get in life, the more showing your superiors a good work ethic will matter. Over- delivering is one of the best traits a person, especially a college student, can have and chances are it will have a big part in the your future job and the success you have while doing it.

• Jonathan Schwartz

Volunteering

I appreciated what Martha Burger had to say about volunteering the most. I have learned from my past two years of being involved in leadership post high school that there are TONS of opportunities to help others. As vice-president of the Student Government Association at OSU-OKC, I was asked repeatedly for my service each semester. Being the “yes-man” that I am, I took all of them on the first year. It was so overwhelming to be spread so thin. You have to pick who you say yes too. I think we should volunteer as much as possible, but we have to know our limits.