Week 5 Presentation – David Cid

David listed a number of key points concerning his thoughts on the characteristics and practices of a leader. Which point resonated the most with you and why do you agree that this point is vital to the leadership development process?

• Andrea Allison

David Cid included in his PowerPoint that “to be a leader you need to have vision and act on what you see”. I couldn’t agree with this more. It would be impossible to lead others if you do not have a vision of where you are leading them. Also, your vision should continue to develop and improve as you are leading others and yourself to success. You may being with an insignificant idea that grows into an exceptional vision that inspires those around you to be better and, possibly, become leaders themselves so that they too can develop a vision. The most important part of his statement of “to be a leader you need to have vision and act on what you see” is the acting. A dream is just a dream until you put in the time and effort to make it a reality. Also important to remember is that he said act on what YOU see. It is not your parents plan, your coaches play, or the dreams of someone else that you have to base your leadership around but your own. Only use the opinions of others to aid in the growth of your vision, not direct it.

• Kaley Everson

The point that resonated the most to me was “Think deeply about art and profession.” As Mr. Cid pointed out, in order to succeed in life, a leader must have the ability to work harder and smarter than those who work for you. Not only must a leader work harder and smarter, the leader must have the ability to give credit in the progression of success in using “we” rather than I. “When we succeed, we use we; when we fail we use I.” This portrays the strength of how a unit can cooperate towards one similar goal.
    I believe that mastering to key of success in leadership is to simply recognize that we work better as a team or unit rather than individually or alone.

• Allison Cox

David Cid made many key points that are very important to the developing leader so picking just one to talk about is rather difficult. However, I particularly enjoyed his story that he shared with us about his experiences with responsibility. Taking responsibility for something can have a significant impact on a situation. David stated that people will have more respect for you if you take responsibility for not just your own actions, but for the actions of those whom which you lead. Being in a leadership position might potentially mean taking the fall for someone else’s actions, and that takes a great deal of courage.

• Tanner Gore

The point that resignated the most with me was that people will follow you if they see you doing what you told them to do. This caught my attention because when I use to work as a manager at Pizza Hut I would notice that the managers that didn’t help out the cooks or waiters would close with the store looking the worst. While the managers who you would see helping the cooks and waiters constantly would have a cleaner and better ran store because it would affect the employees. The more times the manager would help out the employees the better attitude the employees would have through work and even after.

• Gabrielle Devero

I really liked how he said it is important to have a vision. A good leader needs to have a goal or many goals in mind or else it will be harder to attain success. He said to have a vision and courage to attain it. It is easy to say you have a goal but hard to gan it. True leaders will go through anything to get what they want. It won’t always work out so one must have the courage to take the blame. True leaders take the blame, Mr. Cid said it is important to to say “I” when there is a mistake and “we” when there is success.

• Rachel Payne

My favorite point of Mr. Cid’s was that with success it is best to use the term “we” and then with failure it is best to use the term “I.” This made an impression on me because I think it is the proper way for a leader to handle themselves. The success could not be possible without all the people that are being led. Success takes a group effort but failure can end up resulting from one person. The leader should take responsibility for failure because they were the ones in charge of everything. They should know the strengths and weaknesses of their team and assign tasks accordingly. Leaders should share the glory but go down with their ship like a good captain.

• Brady Sowell

The point that most resonated with me was the point about how leaders should accept responsibility but give credit. To often we want to not accept blame for our actions and pin failure on others. This shouldn’t be the case. As leaders we are stepping up to the plate and saying “I can handle this” when we strike out we shouldn’t blame the bat or the weather or the dog that was barking. Accept responsibility and say I’m going to get better and next time hit it out of the park! Also be sure to give credit where credit is do. The more respectful and honoring you are to those who follow you, the more people you will have follow you. I know it seems hard, but part of being a leader is being able to do the tough things and be selfless.

• Benny Tham

One of the key points that resonated me most is that we need to work harder and smarter than those that work for you. David actually said something later which I agreed very much, “Working hard and working smart are not mutually the same.” However, working hard and working smart are definitely related to one another — it is useless if we work hard but we do not work smart, and vice versa. As leaders, we have to work hard in order to achieve our goal, for it is through hard work that we learn from our work process and, most of the times, mistakes. Many leaders work very hard towards their goals, but at times they are not smart enough. For instance, taking a break from work is essential because this is when leaders get recharged and go further later. Besides, leaders should also know how to spare some time to do things that they like and not just focus solely on their work, as the saying that goes, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Therefore, it is important to seek a balance between working hard and working smart so that we are nearer to our goals.

• Malana Smith

Something tha really spoke to me was the idea of ” We and I”. The idea honestly spoke wonders to me. Mr. David Cid said to make it a group effort when the group gets something right and make it a sole responsibility of the leader if something goes wrong. To me, that is honorable. When you give credit to the group, you are encouraging them to do better next time. When one takes sole responsibility of the mistake, it gives others the chance to know not to do it next time and also reaffirms your position as their leader.

• Christina Traverso

During David Cid’s presentation on Tuesday, there were several points that stood out to me considering leadership. The most obvious one was his statement about hard work. Hard work = success has been a standard equation for me, and, I would venture, for the American dream in general, but Mr. Cid added a couple very important variables to the equation which make much more sense to me. Instead of hard work only, the formula should read: hard work + smart work + natural talent = success.
    Afterwards, I asked Mr. Cid if his presentation had any connection with the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, and he had. Outliers is a book I’ve read because my dad thoroughly praised it, which, I believe, is where the example about Joshua Bell came from. The basic premise of Outliers is that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become successful at something, but also that it takes a certain degree of natural talent as well. This is something that is often overlooked, but all too true. You can work for hours and hours every day, maybe even 10,000 hours over the course of your life, but it has to come naturally to you in some degree for you to be truly successful at it.
    I think this point is valuable to the leadership developmental process, because one day you might encounter a fellow leader who hasn’t worked as hard as you at a certain skill, but maintains an amount of natural talent that exceeds yours. This might put you on equal levels, but it also might tip the scale in their favor, which is where “smart work” comes in. As Mr. Cid pointed out, hard work is not equal to smart work. If you can manage your time more efficiently, combined with spending more time and talent for whatever it is you’re working on, you can be more successful.
    There were many other points that stuck out to me in terms of responsibility, forgiveness, credit, and treatment of employees, but I really enjoyed Mr. Cid’s presentation and the contributions he made to the concept of hard work and success.

• Jessica Casey

Mr. David Cid listed a number of key points concerning his thoughts on the characteristics and practices of a leader. The point that resonated the most with me was “A relentless focus on success.” He elaborated on the point by adding “Determination will get you there.” I completely agree with David Cid in the way that success is worth committing to and is not easily attainable. One must work extremely hard and have full assurance in themselves. This point is vital to the leadership development process because it teaches us what is really important in our lives and what is really worth fighting for. It teaches us to be true to ourselves and to what we truly believe in.

• Ethan Wood

Mr. Cid said that a leader has to be willing to accept responsibility not just for his actions, but for the actions of his subordinates. I think this is a true mark of exceptional leadership, and something every leader should aspire to. Politicians and bureaucrats usually try to shift the blame to somebody else. But if you’re going to be a real leader, the buck stops with you. I think Mr. Cid showed great leadership and courage when he told his superior that he should be fired rather than the 2 agents, who were only doing their job. Mr. Cid knew that the buck stops with him, and that those who are simply doing their jobs and carrying out orders shouldn’t be punished for the mistakes of their superiors.

I was particularly struck by this because it is such an oft missed part of leadership, especially in our currently volatile political environment, with every faction attempting to blame the other for the failures of the government as a whole. If only more leaders, both in Washington and closer to home, shared Mr. Cid’s philosophy that they were responsible for everything that happens on their watch, things might be a bit different. Perhaps America wouldn’t be less than a fortnight away from defaulting on our national debt, and possibly plunging the world into economic turmoil. This brinksmanship needs to stop, and every politician on up the line should take responsibility for the actions of their subordinates to get something done and save our country from its abysmal state.

• Ashley Sells

I liked when David Cid talked about how a leader should have a vision. I think this is one of the most important things a leader should have. He said you need to be vocal and tell your followers about your vision so it will be clear to everyone. Vocalizing your vision could also help bring new and better ideas from your crowd. Another strong point Mr. Cid talked about was when you have a victory you should give credit to everyone, but when you have errors you should take the blame.Taking the responsibility will alos gain trust from your followers.Lastly when someone does something great you should praise them publicly, but when someone does something wrong you should address them privately.

• David Cid mentioned during his speech that a leader has to take responsibility for his subordinates failures. This is a very interesting concept for me, because logically that would mean the leader is inclined to take responsibility for his subordinates successes as well. That of course is wrong, but I think it really shows the potential for misusing a position of leadership.

• Beth Rawlins

David Cid’s presentation was exceptional. There was no point that did not strike me, nor did any part of his speech seem manufactured. One point that is easily missed, but extremely vital, is that leaders should put the needs of those that are following before the needs of themselves. His personal example about allowing the ladies working for him to bring their kids in to work struck a chord in me, because it is so out of the “professionally accepted” norm. He was willing to risk possible criticism and prepared to defend the logical solution. It seems in our current society that people aren’t taken care of, which in turn affects how much gets done, because there is a set “way” that things are done, and no one is willing to stick their neck out for the benefit of others. We, as leaders, have a responsibility to make sure that the needs of those following us are taken care of. It is mutually beneficial, because, when people’s needs are met, they are more inclined to WANT to contribute.

• Ashley Palmer

Willing to take action really resonated with me. This is because I have difficulty designating thing do to the realization that indeed need to take responsibility for these designaties. I trust these people to accomplish a job efficiently and timely. Therefore if they do something wrong I should be willing to take action and accept the punishments of their wrong doing. This often leads me to accomplish tasks on my own, so I can personally oversee the project. This is important to leadership because we can not overwork our selves in a task and let the chips fall where they may.

• Mariah Wagner

Mr. David Cid gave a wide variety of characteristics that leaders posses. The one that resonated most with me would be the fact that you have to have the capacity to inspire. This mainly stuck out to me because if you do not have the capacity to inspire other people, then no one will want to follow you. Having the capacity to inspire people is a great characteristic to have because it shows that you care deeply about others and their futures. Also, by having the capacity to inspire, you can push people to go places they never thought they could. This is something that I would like to strive to possess even more than I already do.

• Chelsea Ratterman

The one that stood out for me is taking responsibility. I don’t think that is something that is taken very seriously in society today, because it’s easier to blame someone else than to accept ones mistakes, especially in the “everyone’s a winner” mentality that has taken over in schools. Accepting responsibility is the mark of a mature leader, and in the end you gain more respect, something far more important than what you might potentially lose.

• Jordan Conley

Mr. Cid said to be hardest on yourself, this point stuck with me because so often this is so hard to do. I think this goes hand in hand with taking responsibility. It is easy for us to criticize others and if something goes wrong it is easy for us to pass the blame off on them rather than own up to our mistakes. As leaders we have to know when we have done something wrong and be able to admit that we have. We have to be willing to be willing to not only give criticism, but to receive it as well. We also have to be able to criticize ourselves in order to be effective leaders.

• The point in Mr. Cid’s presentation that stuck with me the most was his point that leaders must “Have a vision”. I feel like this holds true because to be a leader you need to have a vision of the future. To lead people effectively you must have them believe that you will leave whatever you are leading them in better than before, and then do it. To do this requires vision. I think that this point resonated me simply because when I lead people I always have goals in what I think we should accomplish. I also like Mr. Cid’s point to use “we” instead of “I” when speaking with your team. I feel that when leading it is a collaborative effort rather than an individual one. It also portrays to the people you are leading that you do actually care about their needs.

• Hawley Austin

During Mr. Cid’s speech, the point that resonated with me the most was to give credit. In the world today, we want to take all of the credit when something goes right, but push the credit on someone else when something goes wrong. As leaders, we must realize that our job isn’t to put people down, but to build them up. When a task goes wrong, we shouldn’t point fingers at one another, but take responsibility. A good leader will put the blame on everyone in the group, but a great leader will take sole responsibility for the mistake. A great leader not only takes responsibility for the bad, but gives credit to the team when they succeed. An important characteristic of leadership is charisma. Someone with a kind heart and a positive persona will be received much better than someone with a greedy attitude. In order to gain respect, one must give respect. One way of gaining respect as a leader is to give positive credit and take negative responsibility. This aspect is vital to the leadership process because it creates a sense of unity. Unity makes our world work. When there is a lack of unity, there is a lack of respect. It is important to have unity because we can accomplish more together than one can accomplish alone.

• Olivia Cavazos-Hudson

First of all let me say he is literally my favorite speaker besides Presidents Betz of course. Whenever he was saying that leaders need to put their people before them and take responsibility. So the leader needs to give his people credit in the cases of something good and the leader needs to take the blame if something bad happens. He was saying they need to be generous leaders. Whenever he was talking about how he lets his employees bring their children to work whenever their daycare is closed was not only the best idea I have ever heard but one of the greatest examples of a leader being understanding of what is going on outside of the office. He was an amazing man. Loved it.

• Lydia Davis

A point that was made during David Cid’s presentation was the phrase “work harder, work smarter”. As leaders, it is one thing to put effort into something, but it is another to evaluate a strategy, project, etc. to amplify the efficiency. We need to consider that success is not always relative to effort, but to intelligence and capability. Smart leaders are effective leaders–and this doesn’t refer to iq or gpa, it implies a full possession of leadership qualities needed to get a job done. This is where the rest of Cid’s points come in: leaders should have a vision, focus, and the capacity to inspire. They should take responsibility, give credit, and forgive errors. When we correctly use these qualities and combine them with passion and effort, we can lead more effectively.

• Chantell Hay

The point that really meant the most to me was to forgive errors. I have really been working on forgiveness this past month, and it’s not easy. It is so simple to just hold onto things and constantly have them in the back of your mind. Forgiveness is important in being a leader because you cannot grow or prosper if you do not realize that everyone makes mistakes. You have to move on and try to continue towards your end goal, no matter what that may be. Also, when you forgive someone, it almost always makes you happier. Holding on to things that do not matter is pointless when there are so many more things you could focus on. Forgiveness is vital no matter what leadership role you may obtain.

• Kayla Auffenorde

The thing that resonated with me the most concerning the characteristics of leadership was having a “capacity to inspire”. The people that look up to me for leadership are not just seeking a guide, but they are seeking inspiration. Inspiration fuels creativity and individuality, which ultimately leads others to follow their own passions and develop into their own leader. However, inspiration requires a certain environment where people actually want to be inspired. No one is going to be inspired in a hostile environment. Therefore, I need to be constantly putting their needs before mine. It is necessary to show endless respect, consideration and kindness to the team. Knowing each team member on a more personal level is the key to gaining their trust and with that trust they become more willing to work with me. In the end, a comfortable, non-hostile, environment allows others to reach their full potential by the inspiration of their trusted leader who is truly consumed with their well being.

• Denton Scherman

The point that stuck out the most to me was that leaders should have relentless focus on success. This is what separates the good leaders from the great ones. There are many good leaders but they may give up at the first bump in the road. They are not persistent at being the best they can be. A great leader will do what is right and be constantly focused on success. They must lead the group in the right direction when others question their decisions. This is what I believe many leaders lack today, they focus on “fame” and not success of their group. They aren’t putting the others first.

This resonated with me because many of us have many things we are involved in, so are we really focusing on success in each one. We must be relentless in leaving this campus better than how we found it. We need to stay on the right track and constantly focus on doing the impossible.

• Brittney Rutledge

The points that Mr. Cid made in his presentation that most resonated with me were those that had to do with how a leader should treat those who follow him. The most important thing that he had to say about that would have to be that a leader must always show respect to his followers. There are several things that go along with being respectful. Mr. Cid states that a leader must always share the credit of any accomplishments made by the group with all of those who played a part, while also taking full responsibility for any failures. This is such an important part of being a leader. Being a leader is not just about having power; it is about being the type of leader that people will respect and want to follow.

• Christen HIckey

Several quotes really reflected the view I have on leadership. Quotes like “kindness is a powerful thing”, “work hard, even when you have talent”, and “responsibility takes courage”. All of these were excellent “one liners” that most people ‘know’ but don’t ever truly take to heart.

First of all, kindness is vital for any person to be well rounded, genuine, and even happy. Being kind to others opens up doors to seemingly unattainable places in your career and your life. Being kind to others means being open minded, sympathetic, and treating them with nothing but benevolence. Being kind to others allows you to think more highly of yourself, improving your self esteem and even boosting your overall feelings of self worth.

Second of all, talent is gift. Often times, someone doesn’t have to work hard to obtain it or even realize they have it, but improving yourself and improving your natural abilities allows you to succeed in a way talent itself could not have allowed you to. Having the talent doesn’t mean you have the power or the capacity to let it take you places. It is the effort you put in that equals the benefit you get out.

Finally, responsibility is perhaps one of humans’ most feared traits, consciously or unconsciously. Being given responsibilities and inevitably obtaining them can both be stressful and scary moments for anybody, but standing up and actually taking the responsibility – the blame – for actions of those you are responsible for is a task undoubtedly necessary and crucial to becoming a leader and sustaining a leadership role with success.

• Rebekah Murphy

The thing I took away was to give credit. When there is success say “WE did this!” And when there is failure say “I did this.” Taking responsibility is a big part of being leader. How can one expect people to follow you when you don’t respect them or make them of value? I wouldn’t expect people to accept me as a leader if I didn’t make them feel good about themselves or the situation. People want to be a part of success, they want to receive praise and feel needed. When there is failure, many will blame the person in charge, so why not accept the blame and show them you are a bigger person and are responsible enough to have such a position.

• Shelby Allen

David Cid’s point that stuck out most to me was the idea that as leaders we simply must do what is necessary, even if it seems abnormal compared to society’s standards. His example of allowing mothers in his office to bring their children to work is something that would be rarely accepted in the professional world. However, Cid saw the bigger picture and realized it was better to have his employees in the office than lose productivity. To have this vision for the future of his company is beyond most administrators’ capacity. This is an example of true servant leadership, figuring out what you can do with your power to help those around you. Allowing this simple service saved those employees excess stress and a reduced paycheck. As leaders, it is important to put aside our title and our pride and remember those who work for and beside us. Compassion and empathy for others doesn’t have to be left at the door of the professional world.

• Reagan Perry

David Cid’s point of every good leader needs a vision for the future is such a vital and important point. To achieve something great, a leader must have a plan of action; something they aspire to achieve. It’s might be difficult to get others to follow you if you don’t have an idea of where you are leading them. It’s just as important to reach or finish your goal as it is to know how you’re getting there. Thoroughly plan out your plan of action and work hard to achieve it.

• Blair Summers

The leadership principle “when you succeed, use we, when you fail, use I” stood out to me the most. It is a simple, yet powerful mindset to exercise when being in a position of authority. This promotes teamwork, loyalty, and respect amongst your co-workers and followers. I believe that taking responsibility for an action that may or may not have had a direct correlation to you as the leader exhibits much better character quality than the tendency to point fingers and cast the blame. After all, if you are the leader, everything rests in your hands at the end of the day. However, when successful, it is all about the team, and how great of a collaborative effort the success was. No one wants a self-righteous leader who thinks he or she is the reason the world revolves.

• Ilyssa Owen

David Cid mentioned that to be a leader you must think deeply bout your art or profession. This point resonated most with me, though it was followed closely by putting the needs of your people before yours, because as I am re-evaluating what I want to do with my future i realized that I should consider what I think about the most in my daily life. If you are truly passionate about something, it becomes a part of you. Thinking about your passion is not a chore, it just comes naturally. Thinking deeply about your art or profession is vital to the leadership development process because if your not thinking deeply and truly caring about the cause your a leader for, than your not going to be the best leader you can be. I don’t beleive that this is an intimidating leadership quality to possess because when you are passionate about what you are in a leadership position for, it is a characterstic that can only enhance your performance and will occur without you even trying. When you love something, thinking about how to improve or better what you love isn’t a burden, it’s a blessing. Adversely, when something is on your mind constantly, it can show you the path best for you to take. With all the new opportunities laid before me, it is difficult to decide which to pursue. After David Cid’s presentation I am considering the thoughts I think about when I should be focused on other things and the thoughts that are always in the back of my mind, in order to narrow down the many passions and plans for change that I have into a few that I can serve whole-heartedly.

• Kayla Standlee

The point that stuck with me the most was the point he made about a leader taking responsibility for their actions. Not only should they admit when they are wrong, but they should also take responsibility when their teammates are wrong. A real leader will claim defeat even when it not entirely their fault. They accept failure and develop a healthy and effective way to amend the process in which they tackle a project. To be a leader, you must take reaponsibily for everyone, especially yourself.

• Elizabeth Larios Rodriguez

Leaders must have the ability to inspire. It is hard to follow someone if they are not able to capture my attention. The best leaders are those who can easily motivate you to action by just their word. Leaders who have a natural Charisma about them.
    For me I think the reason this point designated so much with me is because I believe God has instilled in me an unexplainable grace to where people want to listen and follow me when I lead (so I’ve been told).
    Although I do believe that people can develop the cap pasty to inspire through enchanting words, motivational quotes, and touching stories.

• Jared White

I feel that with Mr. Cid’s presentation what stuck out the most to me was when you have to have a vision. I really feel that if you can see the future ahead and what ever you are working for it will come. If you see what you want and work for it will come, but you have to take the proper steps to get there but if you just sit back and watch someone else will take it over. Also I feel that another thing in his presentation then stuck out was if you are a leader and when you lead it has to be by example sometimes. If you do this more people will be likely to follow you. If you never work with your teammates they will never wanna help you out. The best thing for a leaders is followers if you don’t have followers you don’t have leaders.

• Callie Thompson

The point he made that stuck out to me the most was to give credit and forgive errors. He said something along the lines of using “we” when you succeed and using “I” when you fail. So many of us have a problem doing this because we let our pride get in the way and we worry more about what the public will think instead of thinking of those involved first. I think it speaks volumes for a leader to be able to take full responsibility for mistakes made by all and give credit to all involved when they succeed. Being able to use “i” when you fail and “we” when you succeed shows humility, which is a very important characteristic of leadership.

• I feel the part of Mr.Cid’s presentation that stuck out to me was when he was talking about seeing the future. If you can see and work for future your dreams can happen. I just feel that if you take the proper steps to your future anything is possible. Never give up on it, but if your dream doesn’t come true I feel there is a reason and that just means something else better is gonna workout for you.

• Ashton Smith

While there were many characteristics that Mr. Cid stressed on how to be a successful leader the one that stood most out to me was taking responsibility. I thought it was very truthful answer and explanation on how not only do we take responsibility for our actions, but we also take responsibility for our whole “team’s” actions. In our world today we have so many people who want to consider themselves as leaders, but if they mess up, which everyone does it, so it is going to happen, they never want to take responsibility of the screw up. It is so vital to take responsibility, because as leaders, we need to admit when we are wrong, them move on and fix or error. We need more leaders in our society who aren’t scared to take responsibility. Personally I think a lot more people will respect you, when they see you can admit when your wrong then to proceed to fix it. I know it is a harder task to be done then said, but taking responsibility for our actions is something we should challenge ourselves to do.

• Mr. Cid’s presentation was great he spoke a a lot on how to become a great leader and how succeed. But I feel what really got my attention was when he was speaking about having a vision. If you have a vision take the proper steps to reach that final goal. But if you don’t succeed don’t give up keep working hard towards your future. If for some reason you goal doesn’t come true their is a reason for it and its because something else better is coming your way. Always stay positive and everything will work out.

• Shelby Eddleman

David Cid’s whole presentation was phenomenal. He is a man of integrity, and I felt honored that he chose to leave our class with a bit of his wisdom. The part of his speech that resonated the most with me was that we gain loyalty through kindness. I believe that sometimes leaders can become overwhelmed with the tasks at hand, and they can treat their subordinates with less respect when they are feeling stressed. It will pay off a great deal to remember that these are people, and everyone deserves to be treated kindly. If we treat our followers with kindness, they will want to continue following us, and we can accomplish more as a unit working together. A simple smile and a few words of praise can truly make a difference in someone else’s life, which in turn can make a difference in our own lives. David Cid did a wonderful job of reminding us of that truth.

• There were two points from Mr. Cid’s speech that I found especially important to leadership. The first one was having a vision, and acting on that. A leader must be able to see ahead of his followers in order to know which direction to lead. It is important to be able to think about the future, and the possible outcomes of actions you take. I also really think the emphasis of taking responsibility is an important quaility found in a good leader. Personally this is one of the first things I would think of when thinking of what makes a good leader. Taking responsibility takes courage, and it is not the common thing to do. Most people avoid taking responsibility and attempt to place blame elsewhere, which is why I think that when a leader possesses such a good quality, it has a lot to say about their character.

• Lauren Walker

The biggest point that stood out to me was when he talked about forgiveness. I am a firm believer in forgiving everyone. He stated to “praise in public and admonish in private” and that’s exactly how it should be. My mother taught me to be friends with everyone. Whether they liked you or not, they deserve your respect. I will forever follow that rule my mother gave me as a child. It is so important to me to treat others the way I want to be treated! I will keep the quote he gave with me forever.

• Maddisen McCleary

Inspiration. This word has so much value to me it’s moving. This word was used in one of the points that David Cid talked to us about. I can honestly say that without the people in my life and the inspiration I have received, I would not be where I am today. I feel that inspiration is needed in a leaders life, not just a leader but on a every day basis with every day people as well. Everyone needs a drive, something to push them, something or some reason of why they are doing what they are doing. This creates passion, this creates dedication, faith, the will to work out whatever kinks that we may run across. With inspiration, nothing can fail. We are inspired for a reason, we look at a small flower, or a quote, or a major event that happened to us in life, and we form a inspiration, a want, and a need to accomplish what we set out to do! This is extremely important to me when I think about being a leader. Inspire others, lead with passion, and make others want to inspire their peers as well!

• The subject in Mr. Cid’s presentation that I really liked was his focus on putting the needs of the people you are leading before your own; this is what leadership is about. Great leaders didn’t become a leader because they wanted the fame or the power, but because they recognized and had a vision they knew needed to become reality. Leadership, at it’s core, is about service, service to your community, your congregation, your family, and ultimately to yourself.

• Regan Pogue

When listening to David Cid speak to us I found his point on having a vision to be the most important. As a leader you have to be able to look beyond what others can see. Not only do you have to be able to see what was in the past and present but be able to apply it to the future. I think that a leader who can see beyond everyone else has the advantage to their peers, it’s like a sixth sense. You are able to connect and develop ideas beyond what others may. A great leader should also be able to convey his vision to his peers in a successful manner so that his vision can be delivered. To be successful you have to be able to include all of your peers within that.

• Joseph George

The two points that resonated with me is taking responsibility and giving credit. I feel like in today’s society it is so easy to give the blame to others and taking all the credit to ourselves. I think the reason why we tend to blame others, -when it is clearly our fault at the start- is because we don’t want to show our weaknesses to others that we may be shown that we are vulnerable to others in certain areas. We like to receive praise is because it builds our self esteem and we feel better about ourselves. Like Mr. David Cid said, (this is a summary) as leaders, we should take the blame straight up! It is our responsibility to take the responsibility even though you might have failed as a team, and we should give credit to others more than ourselves. If you ever hear a victory or award speech, you would always hear thank you’s first instead about themselves. That is why we should build a network, because we can achieve something in our lives by ourselves without the help of others.

• Samuel Corrales

I agree most with his point about responsibilty.
    “Take Responsibility: we are so accustomed to people avoiding responsibility in public life that when someone does, we are shocked.”
    As a leader, own your mistakes. It shows our integrity when we can own up to our mistakes publicly. It may not be the best thing to do, but having intergrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
    We are quick to make our own decisions and feel independent, but whenever one of those decisions wasn’t the best to make, we call for help to clean up our mess instead of cleaning it ourselves.
    We need to all learn how to be more responsible, not only in a manner of getting things done on time, but in the way that if something we do isn’t right, we’ll admit that it was a poor decision on our part.
    Everyone is quick to take credit for the good, and everyone is quick to point fingers when it comes to owning up the bad.

• Cierra Chastain

Work harder and smarter than those that work for you was the point that resonated with me the most. If someone else is working harder and smarter than you, you will ultimately be working for them. When you work hard other will look up to you as a leader and want to follow in your same path. This quote reminds me of the tv show undercover bosses. The CEO’s of the company go undercover for a week as a normal worker. At the end of the week the workers have such a respect for their leader and want to continue to work hard for the company. When the leader works hard the workers work even harder.

• Tre'Auntae Fairbanks

My comment is late, but Mr. Cid was one of my favorite speakers thus far so I still want to give an input. The three major components Mr. Cid highlighted, (vision, determination to succeed, and ability to inspire) all weigh equally in importance to becoming a leader. By using three actual leaders who made change globally, Mr Cid emphasized how each component was necessary to be a thriving leader. His lecture (in my opinion) did not make one aspect seem more important than another, it described how each was vital to achieving whatever goals you possess as a leader. I completely agreed with what he said. A vision, or a the term I prefer, a plan is essential to a leader because without one what are you leading? What or whom can you lead if you have no destination? The determination to succeed is vital to life, but once you take on leadership responsibilities your job is to succeed. If you lack a determination to achieve success then failure and quitting will be acceptable to you, and those two words are not in a leader’s vocabulary. Lastly, the ability to inspire probably is the most important. If you can not express your vision in a way that inspires others to follow and aid you on your road to success, then you’re not a leader but simply an aspiring individual. Being a leader includes the ability to persuade the masses that you have the right idea.

• Jonathan Schwartz

Mr. Cid made very valid points about accountability. Too often we as indiviuals take the credit from a succesful team effort. It is important to remember each person’s contribution and make them feel appreciated and valued. It is easy to blame failure on others as well. As leaders, it is very important for us to admit when we make a mistake and take the proper actions to correct it. If we as role models aren’t accountable then niether will the people we mentor.

• Matthew Frech

The point Mr. Cid made that really stuck with me is the idea of putting others before yourself. I don’t think there is any better definition of leading the correct way. While he was speaking, I almost felt like it was coming from inside my head. I have always been under the influence that it doesn’t matter how much a leader is doing if the ones that person is leading aren’t doing anything. Of course it is important for the leader to work just as hard (if not harder) than everyone else, but they must be willing to step down to the same level everyone is on and really see both sides of the spectrum. When David was talking about taking the blame instead of passing it off to the other gentleman, I felt like there is no better way to prove how good of an example he is setting.