Lt. Governor Week 2 Presentation

The Lt. Governor encouraged each of you to either “stay in Oklahoma” upon graduation or “hurry back” to Oklahoma if you leave. What are your thoughts on this comment. Explain, from your perspective the benefits or drawbacks of either path.

• Ethan Wood

I feel that if the Lt. Governor wants to attract professionals to live and work in our state, he and other lawmakers should labor to make it an attractive place to live, or at the least a place where we can make it so for ourselves. Oklahoma invests less in education than all but three other states, leaving Oklahoman schools short of money. If lawmakers want professionals to stay in Oklahoma, they should focus on investing in the education needed to educate professionals, and on creating a school system professionals would want to send their children through.

And in state health system quality, the story is even more abysmal. Oklahoma is ranked 50th out of 51. Guess what the only state worse than us was? You guessed it, Mississippi. Shocker.

Any state that wishes to draw young, motivated talent should first work to attract that talent through decent social welfare programs that encourage immigration to that state. And frankly, I think any lawmakers who urge young people to stay in state should first think about what they’re asking. I feel no debt to a state that has made it a struggle to achieve, and if another state has more to offer me for the skills and the education I have sought out and acquired I have no qualms about accepting competing offers.

This idea is not novel. Germany offers free college education in English to foreigners, including Americans. Canada extends luxurious scholarships to American students. Many countries hope to lure the bright and brilliant minds of American students out of the country, and if Oklahoma and America in general can’t convince her young people to stay here and to contribute to the place they were born, the brain drain will only intensify.

I think it is the duty of young Oklahomans to work to improve their state. However, if political forces make the state an unpleasant place to live and work, and show no signs of letting up, it’s no skin off our backs if we take our abilities elsewhere.

If anyone had questions about where I got my facts, I included the links:
    http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/05/31/states-that-spend-the-most-on-education/5/

http://datacenter.commonwealthfund.org/#ind=1/sc=1

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37240853/attending-college-for-free-overseas/

• Rachel Payne

Personally, I agree with the Lt. Governor one hundred percent. The way I see it is that this great state developed us and made us who we are so we have an obligation to give back to it. Some people leave because they desire “bigger and better” things but the reality is that whatever they are looking for is probably already here, and if it isn’t then there is nothing stopping them from creating it. Instead of looking at Oklahoma as the boring state that inspired a bunch of cliché country songs they should see it as a blank canvas. There is so much potential and so many opportunities here, and honestly it breaks my heart when people don’t see it. If we stay then we have the opportunity to inspire growth and diversity. I can’t thing of a single negative thing that could come from a group of strong and creative leaders being the backbone of Oklahoma in the near future.

• Andrea Allison

I believe that everyone needs to spend time outside of Oklahoma at some point in their life to do things such as experience other cultures, grow emotionally and spiritually, and gain a greater understanding of the world in which we live. Oklahoma is a state with tremendous ability to grow economically and in other areas but it needs leaders who have experienced other states and other countries who know what we are competing with. I would love to spend the rest of my life living in Oklahoma, but I know that I will not reach my full potential if I do not travel outside of its borders. Most college students break their first major barrier when they move away from home and go to a university. We must all break down an even larger barrier by stepping outside of our Oklahoma comfort zone and further develop our leadership abilities so that we may beat Texas in something other than just football, as Todd Lamb spoke so passionately about.

• Gabrielle Devero

Everyone dreams of branching out and exploring the world with their dream career but it could be very beneficial to a lot of us for staying in Oklahoma in the long run. In college, hopefully students make good relationships with their professors. Those relationships can help you grow into a better student and future intern. Staying in Oklahoma can help students get jobs quicker because of the connections they will make in college. It is also important to branch out as well.

• Tre Fairbanks

We are bred Oklahoman, so the thought of coming back and being a part of the progress in Oklahoma is appeasing to me. Even in the bible, God would instruct His followers to return to the land of their fathers, even when conditions were’nt accommodating. In Oklahoma, especially for a person like me, there are a plethora of reasons to leave Oklahoma and never return. But for me, the current conditions are inspiring. There are too many John Mayers in the world, who can point out the flaws in society but are willing to wait on someone else to make the change. I’m not that patient.

• Tanner Gore

The concept of stay in Oklahoma to me is the fact that we should all have state pride. It is the state that we grow up in that effects who we are by the surroundings of that state. Without state pride and state involvement we don’t really get the benefit of a “strong state” it us up to a states occupants to make the name of the state. Not just certain “powerful” individuals.

• Christina Traverso

As someone who is not from Oklahoma, to me the Lieutenant Governor’s comment came across simply as a man doing his job.
    In America, we have a very unique system of federalism, which is unusual across the globe as it seeks some sort of balance between state governments and a federal government. Pros and cons amount in this system, one con being the length of time it takes to get anything passed, and one pro being the opportunities (and obligation of politicians) for the people to be involved our governmental process.
    That being said, the Lt. Governor’s comment about staying in Oklahoma after graduation (and by correlation, beating Texas) struck me as reasonable for someone in his shoes. If I were a prominent political leader in a state government position and came to talk to a specific set of smart students at said state’s university, I would have said the same thing. Of course you would want smart people/developing leaders to work with the communities that you chose to represent, because that boosts your (and your state’s) credibility, economy, and, to a degree, pride.
    Personally, I plan to take a much more broad perspective on my future and where it will take me, but that’s from the perspective as a college student/future graduate in a country experiencing a low-level economy.

• Blair Summers

Along with his “Home Sweet ‘Homa” view, which I fully respect, his three leadership guidelines are solid principles to lead and serve by. It’s all about communicating and instilling confidence within your people, regardless of circumstance. I love the “Victory” idea. Even if your team or business is going through a period of drought or failure, not only is it a nice recommendation, but it’s crucial to allow and celebrate victories amidst the chaos. As both leaders and team players, we should remember to appreciate and acknowledge the simple success instead of constantly staring at an obvious failure.

• Mariah Wagner

I believe that Lt. Governor Todd Lamb is correct. I think that we should try to stay in Oklahoma, and give back to the great state who has given so much to each one of us. I think Oklahoma is a fabulous place to live so I will most likely stay here. As Lt. Governor Todd Lamb said, Oklahoma is growing, and we have one of the lowest unemployment rates. This alone should tell you that it will be worthwhile to stay here. A lot of people talk about how awful it is to live in Oklahoma, or how much further behind our school systems are than other states, but I do not agree with this. I was just discussing the topic of school with my Broncho Buddy from Vietnam, and she said that this is where she was placed to learn because the colleges here are much better than in Vietnam. Out of all the places in the United States, Oklahoma is where she was sent. This to me stands out and makes me think that maybe we aren’t really as far behind other states as people think.
    Some of the benefits of staying here is that there is a very good chance that there is a job opportunity for you. As Oklahoma continues to grow, more and more jobs will be needed. Oklahoma is also a very good place to raise a family with considerably low crime rates comparatively speaking. A withdraw of living here is the fact that it is not as exciting of a place to live as say New York, or a bustling city similar to NYC.

• Lt Govenor Lamb said he wants us all to stay in Oklahoma. I feel that some of the benefits are that are economy will rise, I also feel that are state will become stronger and more pwoerful with more people. Like he said he wants to compete with the state of Texas and if we start competing with Texas then we have become a stronger state and we will be rising in the system. Such as jobs, economy, population. etc. But I feel that some of the draw backs are that what if you are a military and family and you have to move or your husband or wife is tation somewhere besides Oklahoma you have to move because you want to be with them. What if you get offered and good job and its what you have your degree in we or I would be going we wouldn’t be considered very smart if we didn’t go. So I feel those are some of the drawbacks and benefits of staying in Oklahoma. But however I feel the same way as Govenor Lamb I would want everyone to stay in Oklahoma also because I’m grown and love this place I would hope everyone does to.

• I personally would like to stay in Oklahoma for a little bit after I graduate for the simple fact that it is so cheap to live here compared to other states in the United States. I would also like to stay here because my immediate family lives in the state as well. I think that Oklahoma will only continue to grow as a state and thats good for our generation because our generation will be leading the state in the near future. We really have the most potential to impact this state moving forward and it will be interesting to see what direction we move towards. Sure it would be nice to move to somewhere with a coast or huge metropolitan area, but why not grow the state that we were born in?

• Chantell Hay

I personally believe that there are several benefits to staying in Oklahoma. This state is so awesome and we are a huge part of making it that way. Many of us have grown up here and know so much about it. We could really make a difference since we have been such a big part of making this state what it is today. We can also take advantage of the connections that we have made over the years when looking for a job in the future. So ultimately, I agree with the Lt. Governor about remaining in Oklahoma after graduation.

• Kayla Standlee

I agree with the Lt. Governor when he tells us to stay in Oklahoma or to hurry back. There is something about the state that you grow up in. There is no where else I would rather be than Oklahoma. From the time I was a kid to now, I can see the growth and development happening all around us. In the past 5 years, I’ve seen Bricktown go from a ghost town to a vibrant city with endless opportunities to experience. Oklahoms is growing at such an amazing rate, there is no telling where we will be in 10 years. I will stay in Oklahoma because I want to experience all that Oklahoma has to offer. I want to see my state exceed all other states in the nation and be at the top of our country! The only way to keep up the improvement is with the help of young leaders like us. We are the future of the state and we are brighter than ever!

• If the Mr.Lamb wants me to stay in Oklahoma, he should give me a reason. I’m going into the mortuary science profession, and I can do that anywhere in the wold. Oklahoma is a state with the infrastructure of a third-world nation and most of the jobs are in the oil or gas industry. Lamb talks a big game about becoming a better economy than Texas, but so far he has almost nothing of any real meaning to show. Oklahoma is a beautiful state, but I’d rather live in a state where it’s politicians care more about the people than they care about a personal vendetta against Texas.

• Beth Rawlins

The entire question of whether or not to stay in Oklahoma presents a “chicken or the egg” scenario. What comes first? Do the best and brightest make sacrifices in their future to stay here and cultivate an environment in Oklahoma that encourages young people to stay? Or, do those in office now, who so desperately exort our young leaders to stay, start making the changes themselves?
    It comes down to a matter of passion. There is definitely a need for young people to travel outside of their world, of their comfort zone, of their culture and perceived values in order to better enrich any place they end up. Those that find passions elsewhere along their journey are best utilized there. Accordingly, those whose hearts are drawn back to the state of Oklahoma, where their passions lie in improving their home state for generations to come, belong here. “Where your heart is, there will your treasure be also,” therefore it is not beneficial for young leaders to stay in any place out of obligation, but rather to go where their passions are. Only then will their full potential, heart, and energy be given.

• This statement of Lt. Governor Todd Lamb actually sounded interesting to me, “When you finish your degree here, do not leave Oklahoma, use your talent here […] because Oklahoma needs you.” As an International student who came from Malaysia and did not have the intention to stay in Oklahoma, I pondered around his speech for a few days. Friends of mine have suggested me to leave Oklahoma once I’ve completed my degree here because of the low employment opportunity of international students. Some of them were not recognized because they think they are not as capable as the locals and they couldn’t speak as fluent as well. They are somehow true — expectation for international students are definitely higher due to the priority that are given to the locals. I am not against this, and I think this is rather true to help challenge the capability of an international student. Having lower opportunity does not mean not having at all — I believe there are still foreigners who ended up working in Oklahoma for life. I am not certain that I will be staying in Oklahoma, but I trust God, the plan-provider, will lead me to the right path and no matter where I end up at, I am still going to do great!

• Daniel Fijalka

When the Lt. Governor mentioned how Texas has such a great economy, he said that it “doesn’t happen by accident, but by design.” In Oklahoma, we have the potential to change the current design. Our state needs young leaders like us to make a push and be on the front lines in order to make a change. When you travel outside of the state, think about better qualities or policies that other states or countries might have, and bring those ideas back to Oklahoma. It is important that we make our state attractive to others. Oklahoma does have a lot of room for growth, and strong leaders have the drive to make that growth happen. If we abandon our state, it will be much harder for it to fully blossom and transform into a competing state.

• Ashley Palmer

Although the connections we make now will last us a lifetime. The field of study I am going into is one that you get paid better for in other states. From a recent poll the state Oklahoma spends the least amount of money on their students individually. Teachers in Oklahoma are also paid less. Lawmakers should focus on school and funding for teachers in schools. I may not leave Oklahoma but the legislature needs to push for more funding in schools of Oklahoma.

• Cale Parnell

I can definitely see the strong point of this argument. We are Oklahomans after all, and it should probably be our duty to help the state out by staying here. But Oklahoma isn’t for everyone. Other opportunities exist elsewhere, and these opportunities cannot be overlooked simply for the pride of your state. On top of that we are a highly conservative state in an icreasingly liberal world. I think if we were more open-minded to the progression that some states are currently experiencing we really could create an “Oklahoma renaissance.”

• Jessica Casey

Lt. Governor Todd Lamb made several interesting points during his presentation. One of which strongly encouraged us to “stay in Oklahoma” or “hurry back” if we leave. I, personally, want to travel the world as opposed to staying in one place all my life. I always have felt this way and I always will. I do, however, understand why he hopes we all stay. It is simply because Oklahoma needs leaders. It needs people who can guide it through the tough times ahead and people who can discover new ways to strengthen its economy. He definitely made me consider returning to Oklahoma if I ever decide to stop traveling. But for now, my mind is set on exploring the world!

• Shelby Allen

As an upperclassman that is drawing closer to graduation, the choice of whether to leave or stay in Oklahoma is always weighing heavily on my mind. Having been born and raised here, the thought of moving away from everything that is familiar is a difficult one. I thought it was interesting of the Lt. Governor reach out to us in this capacity, showing his vulnerability as a state official in needing my generation of leaders to stay and help develop our state. I have seen Oklahoma develop immensely even in my lifetime, and understand the need for leaders such as myself to step into the roles necessary for continued prosperity. However, I believe the decision to stay or leave is a personal one and is dependent on several factors beyond the realm of career goals. Often in life we don’t get to choose our path, but instead shape our path depending on the social and economical environment we are in. It’s a matter of deciding priorities and knowing what you are willing to sacrifice for what you are wanting to gain. I feel blessed to have grown up here, and even if I do decide to leave one day, I will always be proud to call myself an “Okie.”

• Malana Smith

Honestly, it was something I never really thought about. I am honestly glad he said that because I think it’s something that many of us do not think about. Especially for those who have grown up here, a lot of times we take for granted how much the state has done for us and how much the education program has invested in us. When an organization invests in something or someone, it is usually because it believes that investment will, in turn, give them something back later on that is more valuable. As our state and free education system ( and colleges who give scholarships … Ahem, PLC) invests in us as students, they do not just do it to feel good inside- it is on purpose; it’s for a better educated country, a better educated state and most of all, a better educated society. One needs to have pride in our state because Oklahoma has proven that it is one of the best places to live- especially economically. Oklahoma is known for having one of the lowest costs in living ad having a low unemployment rate. That in itself is very favorable in comparison to the rest of the United States. With beautiful landscapes, job opportunities and a growing economy, Oklahoma deserves for students, especially those who are successful, to stay here and give back to the community that made them successful in the first place.

• Kayla Auffenorde

I believe it is important that we give back to the community that helped cultivate our minds and nourish us as leaders. To see the community that you have invested so much in strive is truly a beautiful thing. Lt. Governor Todd Lamb said, “States that lose their brightest leaders, are no longer the brightest states”. However, if we never leave, do we reach our full potential? If we tie ourselves down by the state that raised us then there is no room to grow and be influenced by external environments. I think it is important to see the different parts of the world, the different cultures, and the different victories around us. We need to be constantly learning. Pursue our passions and exhaust ourselves, then we can come back to our state even more cultured, more experienced, more knowledgeable, and more eager to inspire. We can’t all leave, but we can’t all stay.

• Lexi Banister

I completely agree with the Lt. Govenor when he states we should either stay in Oklahoma or come back as soon as possible. Personally, I love this state and I believe it has a lot to offer to create an amazing life, and I believe it needs leaders for the future, which is where we come into play. We truly are the leaders of the future and our state could benefit from us staying here and taking on those leadership rolls. Learning about different cultures and ways of life is very important, but at some point it is vital to return home and show your community all that you have learned by putting it to use. Oklahoma is a leading state, but to continue this streak it needs people who are willing to take a stand for their state. Which is exactly why we need to settle down in this grand ol’ community and put everything we have been taught into action and give back to the state that has given so much to us.

• Denton Scherman

I believe whole-heartily with the Lt. Governor. Two summers ago I had the opportunity to attend Youth Leadership Oklahoma with other leaders from around the state. We went to multiple businesses around the state and heard many amazing speakers. Each one of them told us that we needed to stay in Oklahoma, just like the Lt. Governor said. Blake Ewing for example, a city counselor member from Tulsa and entrepreneur, was telling us his goals for the state. He was wanting to bring more and more businesses here. He himself had opened multiple restaurants that people said would never work. Like the Lt. Governor he said you just need a vision and a passion. He had grown up in Oklahoma all his life and saw the potential of what we have. I believe the old cliché, it’s not about quantity but quality. We have many great leaders in this state and a lot of us are sitting in this leadership class together. We will all do great things and that is why we need to stay here. If we take our leadership else where, we will slowly push Oklahoma away to just “another state”. It is our home state and we should want people to come here. It is our job to put Oklahoma on the map and make it a better place for the next generation; because if if we don’t, who will?

• Jordan Conley

I believe that the best way to make Oklahoma a better state is to have the people that have grown up here and received their educations here, be the ones to help make it a better state. Leaving Oklahoma could also be a good thing too, as long as you do “hurry back”. Going out and getting experiences and learning new things that you can’t in Oklahoma and bringing it back here is one of the best ways to help Oklahoma grow.

• Allison Cox

Personally, I agree with Lt. Governor Todd Lamb on his statement, but only up to a certain point. I admire his passion on this subject and someday hope to have the same livelihood as he does on something that I am as passionate about. Growing up, the thought never crossed my mind whether I was going to leave Oklahoma or not. By coming to college and moving away from my parents, I realized that there was so much more out there. Granted, I would be very comfortable in living in Oklahoma for the rest of my life, but, I think that I want to experience other things, at least for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a high regard for the Lt. Governor’s statement to “stay in Oklahoma”. I do think however, that if leaders push us so much to stay in Oklahoma, that they could be doing the opposite effect; pushing us out. Don’t get me wrong, I love the state I live in and I am very proud to live here and be around the people that I cherish and look up to, but maybe there’s something else for me in the future.

• Chelsea Ratterman

This is a comment I hear often in regards to the OK economy. From my perspective, we have had a lower unemployed rate compared to the rest of the country, but I think it is a great idea to encourage students to go out and explore. Staying in one place your entire life is monotonous, so exploring and finding someplace perfect, even if it is right back in OK, is an important part of growing up.

For me, I am a restless person. My dream job is not present in the OK job market, despite the surge of movies coming to OK to film. I can’t imagine staying in one place for long, let alone someplace I’ve already spent nearly 21 years.

• Katie Sheehan

I understand why the Lt. Governor wants us to stay in Oklahoma, but he could’ve emphasized more on the positive aspects of staying here and why we should rather then just repeating himself over and over. Traveling to different places allows people to become more cultured and aware of other ways of living thus creating a more widespread outlook on life. I believe that we should use our lives to make the most significant difference we can wherever that may be.

• Ilyssa Owen

I have been blessed to have been born and raised in Oklahoma. I imagine there are many aspects about living here that I’ve taken for granted. When Lt. Governor Lamb asked us all to please stay here, or hurry back should we choose to leave, I found myself counting the blessings I have that result from living in our great state. I realized several blessings including an economy that supported good jobs for both my parents. With our fast growing cities and job opportunities I can be confident of a successful future after college as well. The blessing that I always seem to admire most however is that we are the “nice state.” When I meet people that are not from Oklahoma I always ask if we really are “nicer” than where they are from. The answer is always “yes!” I am so proud to be in a state that looks out for its people, as exemplified through this past May’s tornadoes, and that can’t help but be full of genuinely good people. Leaving Oklahoma would mean losing that beautiful caring community of people, and that would be tragic in itself.

• Shelby Eddleman

As someone who came to Oklahoma in early adulthood, I disagree with the Lt. Governor. I believe that to truly grow as a person, one must venture outside of what he or she knows. I came from Washington state, a place that is much more liberal than Oklahoma. Even though I don’t agree with the conservative nature of this state, it was imperative that I went somewhere with a different vibe than what I’m used to. That being said, Oklahoma does have an ample amount of opportunities, and if connections are made here than enable graduates to have such opportunities, that should be taken advantage of. I just feel that at some point, it’s important to go somewhere different and experience a bit of a culture shock. Great leaders aren’t afraid to leave their comfort zone.

• Born and raised in Oklahoma, It will always be my home. I believe staying and giving back will continue the growth of the community. As the future generation we have the choice to stay or go. To continue the growth of jobs we need those strong leaders and hard works to stay within the state. I also believe Oklahoma is also a great place to raise a family. I am proud to say that I’m an Okie!

• Reagan Perry

The Lt. Governor highly encouraged us to stay in Oklahoma so that we can develop this state into something greater. He is right. Oklahoma isn’t going to become better, or as Todd Lamb said “beat Texas”, in the blink of an eye. Whether we realize it or not, college kids are very influential to our state. What we do after college and where we do it at is crucial to Oklahoma’s future. Our state is on it’s way to becoming something great, but it will take all of us to transform it. I don’t know about you, but I don’t plan on leaving Oklahoma. I enjoy living here and plan to discover and help fulfill all of Oklahoma’s potential.

• Rebekah Murphy

It makes sense because how else is Oklahoma supposed to grow? The economy is not going to excel if we don’t attract other people. The state needs great leaders that are going to really start encouraging younger people to root themselves here. I’m not very engaged as far as politics are concerned, but I know the economy is like a pyramid. We’re aren’t going to “beat Texas” if we don’t have a strong base of leaders, business, and loyalty. I personally would love to get out of Oklahoma after college, however he made a valid point that stuck into my head. After growing up in Oklahoma and going to college here, I feel it almost my duty to stay and help it flourish.

• Olivia Cavazos-Hudson

When Lt. Governor Todd Lamb said that we need to stay in Oklahoma is because as a state it has been through so much and has still held strong. We are a very strong state that does everything to get through the hardships that we encounter. When we have grown up in Oklahoma and we are going to college in Oklahoma we are getting our Education here what is the point of leaving? We are benefiting Oklahoma by staying here and applying what we have gone to school for back to our community.

• Samuel Corrales

I’ve had the privilege to hear the Lt.Govenor speak before at a TRIO conference, and he also said that there.

I have mixed reviews about this. I love Oklahoma, born and raised here, but I want to see what the world has to offer. I know that there is so much more out there than what I’m used to seeing. I was able to go to NYC one time with a dance studio and it was amazing. There are skyscrapers there on every corner. We have the Devon Energy Building. I want to travel to so many places and experience so many things. That’s kind of hard to do staying here in OK.

I do however feel the need to help those around me. What better person to help than a neighbor? If we want to make an impact on the world, whatever it may be, we have to start locally. Not only are we helping people,but we’d be helping ourselves. Have you ever heard it takes a village to raise a child? It may feel to us that our decisions only impact ourselves, but they impact our community. Not only do are we able to help locally, but we’d be influencing locally.

If there is anything that a good leader has, it’s influence. By staying in OK and helping locally, we’d be influencing the generations to come. Not to just better themselves, but ideally, to better the world. Influence doesn’t have to just come from political perspectives either. Whichever career path you go on, you can make a difference.

• Sunny King

This was actually my second time to hear the Lieutenant Govenor speak on the importance of staying in Oklahoma. I had the opportunity to hear him go more in depth on the topic at a graduation ceremony in May. I completely agree with him in emphasizing the importance of keeping the great leaders that have gained experience and their knowledge in the actual state they would be representing. The time spent in your home state would involve making connections and building relationships with people, and it is important to continue those relationships. It just makes sense that people who gained all their life experience in an area could make significant contributions to that area. While I wholeheartedly back this idea, I also think it is very important to gain outside experience in other areas in order to be aware of what is happening in other areas.

• Brittney Rutledge

I agree with the point that Lt. Governor Lamb is trying to make when he requests that all of the students stay in Oklahoma. In order to make this state a better place for all, the young people who grew up in the state must stay here and help fight for the improvements that they know are needed. Instead of going off to find the “bigger and better” they must stay and improve their state. There are so many new opportunities arising in Oklahoma. If Oklahoma’s young people can grow, make the reforms that are needed, and take advantage of the opportunities available there is no reason that Oklahoma cant become that “bigger and better” state that so many people venture off to find.

• Callie Thompson

I think in a way he is right, but at the same time it’s good to spend time away from Oklahoma to find out what you like and dislike about it. Staying in or coming back to Oklahoma would be good for our state economically, especially if we continue to grow as a state. It is also important for us as individuals to visit other states and see what they have that we do not, so if we do move back we know how to improve our home state and make it appealing to others looking for careers and a safe place to live.

• Brady Sowell

I’ll be honest. I do feel a patriotism to my state and country and a duty to make my state the best, but if my state doesn’t try to make me the best or offer me competitive opportunities then I have no problem going else where. I know it will be tough for our state to be the best in the nation but we can at least be competitive. After graduation people tend to follow the money. We have poured in four years of hard work, money, and time and want to see that pay off and be for something. Im not saying we are scared of hard work or don’t want to work for our money but we want to be treated fairly. The only drawbacks on leaving Oklahoma would be leaving my family and where I grew up. Socially, Oklahoma is a hard place to leave, economically, its very easy to leave.

• Hawley Austin

It has always been a dream of mine to travel the world, because I have spent my whole life within the boundaries of Oklahoma. Oklahoma has so much to offer, but so do other places. The Lt. Governor mentioned that if we do decide to leave, to “hurry back.” This particular statement relates very closely with my thoughts about leaving. I will always have my roots in Oklahoma, but I also want to explore. Oklahoma is a beautiful place with numerous opportunities, however I want to take what this lovely state has taught me and share it with others. Leaving Oklahoma isn’t a bad thing. Our leaders should be happy that we want to expand our horizon. Exploring the world will provide me with experiences that can help Oklahoma grow. In order for Oklahoma to grow in all aspects of life we as leaders need to learn from others’ success on how to grow. Returning to Oklahoma as a more cultured leader will help our great state expand in knowledge, ideas, and experiences.

• Jenna Jones

Upon hearing Lt. Governor tell us to either “stay or hurry back”, I laughed and thought, ‘no way!’. However, after consideration, I can see value in his advice; but I also see value in moving away, too. I believe as young, motivated people, it is almost an innate desire to want to leave Oklahoma as soon as possible. And the age of the “twenties” is the optimal time to do so. Before we have settled down and committed to another branch of our lives, it is important to see other parts of the world and learn about other cultures. I personally think it is ignorant to believe “our way” is the only, or even best, way to live. In order to improve, the first-hand experience of living elsewhere and gaining new knowledge is vital.

• Madelyn Ferguson

I love what the Lt. Governor was saying about staying in Oklahoma, because i feel like most people i talk to, when the finish college they want to leave Oklahoma to find jobs. But what we really need are the best and the brightest working here to help improve our state and get it to its highest potential. I personally love living in Oklahoma. I’ve been luck enough to have traveled a lot of places. And I’ve never found a place quite like Oklahoma.

• Lauren Walker

I personally believe that it is important to go out into the world and experience life. Every place is a different journey. However, I love Oklahoma and want to spend the rest of my life here. Growing up here has been great and I am an Okie for life. There are pros and cons to both leaving and staying. If you stay in Oklahoma your whole life, you could miss out on different experiences that are out there. On the other hand, staying in Oklahoma can help grow and develop not only your life and family but your community. I believe that I want to spend the rest of my life in Oklahoma after I go out and experience what this world has for me.

• Matthew Frech

Todd Lamb is such a bro, just had to get that out of the way.
    I honestly love the idea of encouraging bright young minds to stay in Oklahoma. In general, I think people should take time to leave their home state for awhile (college, an internship, or even just a vacation) but always find their way back. Not that we are allowed to choose which state we come from, but there’s a lot to be said about fixing the things around you before going off to fix something else. Even if you don’t think that Oklahoma is the best place to live, or that it won’t be a great place to stay for your career, you should do your best to help and make it the best. A state can only be as good as the people that are living in it, so if we are all running to other states as soon as we can and never coming back, we are just furthering the problems our state faces.

• Sheyla Rabei

My goal in life is to have as many enriching experiences as possible. I believe travel is an essential way to accomplish this, and so far in my life, I can stand behind this from experience. I have lived in 4 states, 1 US territory and a country outside the US. I think by going to all these places, I have a better understanding of culture apart from my own, and I’ve gained wisdom by making adjustments to different climates, beliefs, people and traditions. I wish to continue developing my knowledge in the world, and hope to increase my travel after I finish with my studies. I’m the kind of person that travels ‘with the wind’ and goes wherever life decides to take me. I’m not sure where I will end up next, or if I’ll ever find myself back in Oklahoma (with the exception of family visits) but I do have faith that no matter where I go, there will be something great I can accomplish there.

• Christen Hickey

In theory, staying in Oklahoma would obviously be beneficial to Oklahoma and the economy; however, individually, staying could be a big mistake. Certain jobs are in higher demand in different places, certain companies employ more people in different states, and each individual, especially those who didn’t grow up in Oklahoma, may have certain connections in other states. Of course it would benefit Oklahoma for everyone who graduated from a college here to stay here, but would it be finically wise for every individual? Definitely not.

• Joseph George

When we all graduate from the University of Central Oklahoma, we will either leave the great state Oklahoma to pursue our dreams with the more education that we will need or we will find ourselves in great content pleasure, settle down with a family, and find the job that we studied for. For the ones that will leave this great state they will find themselves in a new environment that they might be used to, they would not be able to find a close knit society that they would find in Oklahoma. Also, the job opportunities that are beginning to develop in Oklahoma are skyrocketing and are attracting to people, but the pros for them leaving is that they will be able to create more connections and create more skills from the new experience that they just experienced.

For the people that are staying here, they will have a close knit society and they will have more access on the opportunities that will be offered here.

• The decision to leave or stay in Oklahoma has always been easy for me. The state government has made it clear on MANY occasions how they feel about the gay residents of this State. Whether it’s Sally Kern ranting on how gay people are more dangerous than terrorist, or the state’s constitutional amendment in 2004 banning recognition of same sex marriage. More recently the 2013 “Resolution” to show state support for the Defense of Marriage Act and “Reaffirm marriage as between a man and a woman” fell flat, as the Supreme Court declared the law unconstitutional.

The issue in staying in Oklahoma is simple; I want to live in a state where I am treated fairly and equally by the law. How crazy is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUEjlZRVLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Question_711

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/state/oklahoma-house-passes-gay-marriage-resolution-84-0-backing-federal-defense-of-marriage-act

• Ashley Sells

My mom always told me to get an education and get out of Oklahoma. Oklahoma doesn’t have as many opportunities as some other states. My plan after college was to travel living in big cities so I could learn about different cultures ect. But when the Lt. Governor said “Oklahoma needs you.” He was absolutely right. I love my state and am a proud okie from Muskogee. I want to make Oklahoma a better state and I really do believe Oklahoma needs the cream of the crop to stay and make it a better place.

• Ashton Smith

First off I want to start off with how much I love Oklahoma. Being born and raised in Oklahoma my entire life my opinion of Oklahoma may be a little biased. With the career path I want to choose, I am most likely going to have to leave the state for other schooling. But as soon as I get finished, I am doing exactly what Lt. Governor Lamb said we all should do, and come back to Oklahoma. I have been to several different states around the United States, and their never are people as a whole that are as nice and welcoming as the people of Oklahoma. There are several positive benefits of living in Oklahoma, with very few, if any, drawbacks. Several benefits include that Oklahoma leads the country with high employment levels. As a future worker, that is a very reassuring statistic, that there will be several job opportunities. I now know how great our state really is, thanks to people like Lt. Governor Lamb.

Just like he said “We need leaders to stay”. Our group of people is exactly what Oklahoma needs to keep the positive and wonderful reputation that everyone knows us by. We need to be verbal, have a vision, and celebrate the victories. With that, Oklahoma will grow to achieve unspeakable things.

• Kaley Everson

Oklahoma has many attributes for living in this state. It is inexpensive and also has numerous things such as health care provision and cheap housing. Although many people do leave Oklahoma, I believe that in order to expand on our economy and its people. we must alter our decisions and decide where in which we desire to find out establishment. Oklahoma is not for everyone, rather, only a handful of people, however, given those people, we can build a stronger economic foundation.

• Weston Schloss

Todd Lamb was very passionate about Oklahoma in his speech, with dreams of beating Texas’s economy and pressing us to stay here in Oklahoma. He said something along the lines that that, “We need these bright young minds in this room to stay here in Oklahoma and make this state great.” I scoff at the notion of this state being great with him and Mary Fallin in office. We need CHANGE.

First of all, our Governor is crazy as a bat, working to serve private schools with her numerous attempts to push more state funding to go to the rich kid schools, like the ones her kids go to. What we really need to do is work on our public education first. Lt. Gov. Todd Lamb, have you ever thought that maybe Texas is beating us because they are making strives in the educational system? Their teachers get paid much more than Oklahoman teachers, despite being equally qualified. Texas graduates a much higher percentage of high school students, and they also have higher educational standards in place. While Mr. Lamb made a good point about a third grader not reading at a third grade level, what about high school? I have heard numerous people say that high school never prepared them for college. I even went to the same high school as you, Enid High School, and it was super easy. I wasn’t prepared, and I took all advanced classes. They didn’t hold me accountable for anything, and had everyone pass to make our school look better. I’m done complaining about schools. I’m about to finish.

In conclusion, I will not stay in Oklahoma unless there are many reforms to be set into place. I would love to see my home state flourish, but with the crazy Republican agenda running around, I cannot willingly subject myself to that misery. I’m not bashing Republicans, but I cannot be in this state much longer. I can’t live in a state where it’s commonplace to hate Democrats for no reason. To hate Muslims, homosexuals, atheists. Oklahoma is not the place for me.

• Lydia Davis

During the Lt. Governors speech, a few of his ideas–specifically about the importance of staying in Oklahoma–stood out to me. When he reiterated how important it was for us to use our talents to better our state, it occurred to me how many people want to actually leave. We always say we want to do “bigger” things than just staying in Oklahoma, but often we neglect to realize that we make our state what it is and we are responsible for making an impact where we are at. I’m a pretty firm believer that I am in the place I am in for a reason, so instead of waiting to make a change while I daydream about living in Australia, I should be focused on living in the moment and making this current Oklahoma the best place for myself, my future family, and my peers. Oklahoma is where my roots are at regardless of where I end up after college, so I can help give my home state a fighting chance or I can contribute in its downfall. I want to be proud of where I’m from and I have an opportunity to leave a legacy.

• Lydia Davis

Also, I feel the need to say that just because the speaker was of a specific political party, doesn’t mean that I couldn’t get something out of what he was saying. He gave several points other than just talking about Oklahoma that were effective as well. I should be able to listen to a speaker with respect and courtesy and not shut him out because of his political party. There is something to be learned from every person that I will come into contact with and if I/we can’t learn to give respect, I will never earn it either.

• Amanda Davis

I completely agree with Lt Gov Lamb’s statement. I have some friends that cannot wait to leave the state and its sad because that is yet another bright mind a new state will snatch up. Multiple sorority sisters I have are going to be elementary teachers or work with elementary students with special needs and are more than likely leaving Oklahoma for better paying jobs elsewhere. I completely understand their reasoning but in the same breath, I just want to shake them and beg them to stay loyal to their state. Oklahoma deserves to keep our brightest students and leaders and something like better pay elsewhere should never be a reason for people to leave. I really hope that 5, 10 years from now, people wont have that excuse and we will find a way to keep everyone here.. or coming back real soon!

• Maddisen McCleary

I feel that us as leaders, will make a difference anywere we go, we have a passion for helping others and a drive to make a difference. I also feel that us staying in OK will only benefit, but that anywhere we go we can do the same. Upon graduation we will all go our ways, but in our ways we will lead and plant seeds along the way. Staying in Oklahoma will do the same as going anywhere else, we are born leaders!