Bill Curry Video Presentation

Billy Curry presented several key points concerning personal decisions you make as an individual to further your leadership capacity and influence. Which point(s) resonated with you the most and why?

• Samantha Perry

In Billy Curry’s presentation, he brought up several key points that resignated with me there after. When Curry was drafted to pro football, he was terrified to quit or become a failure. As a leader, you are working on a team that you cannot let down. I have been in Curry’s position several times. The defeat of failure is one almost impossible to get over. Then, you have those individuals that aid you in this process, such as Curry’s friend on the football team that pushed him to better himself. Another key point that was very significant was, have no regrets. As leaders we must be the best ourselves to better the group in which we are leading.

• Mackenzie Prescott

The point that really stuck out to me was the point he made about the little girl, Anna Grace Webb. He talked about how she was so comfortablee in her own skin. He was so right when he explained how as little kids we don’t have these thoughts in our head about our physical appearance, what we are wearing, if we are cool, if people like us. We wear what we like, we do what we want and what makes us happy, we talk to everybody and don’t judge them and we just live life and do anything and everything that makes us happy. It’s inspiring and i’ve mound myself before wishing I could be a little girl again and I think that this is exactly why. I miss being able to just be myself, not worry about what other be people think and just be curious about life. Life was easier back then. I think that if in some magical way we as young adults could have s mind set like a five year old then we would be able to exert our energy and emotion in to things that mattered and be better leaders and people in general because we would be focused on the things that mattered. I pray that God will give me a heart like a child, which is something he commands us to have anyway so that I can focus on people and myself in a way that will benefit us and make a positive impact.

-Mackenzie Prescott

• Blaire Blevins

In the presentation, Bill Curry mentioned a lot of great points of how to become a better leader. The point that caught my attention was to be utterly comfortable in your own skin. It is saying you need to be confident in who you are and what you have become as a person. because if your not then how will your ever accomplish your leadership capacity as a individual in the future. You need to believe in yourself and know you can do anything if you set your mind to achieve it. I think it is very important to be comfortable in your own skin since that is a great quality to have as a leader. With the points Bill mention in his presentation I feel that you can incorporate all them in any type of leadership situation to be the best leader you can be. Do not be afraid to take risks like he did when he choose a college that he was told not go to and look how much he accomplished when he choose the opposite route. This shows you that you should be content with yourself and do what you feel is most important to you and not what others tell you. I want to end with what he said about to be more than I thought I could be. Think about what you want to become and be the best you can be !

• Brittni Blevins

Bill Curry mention some great points on Tuesday. The one that resonated with me was when he talked about being utterly comfortable in your own skin. This was stood out to me because I have learned over the years that you need to be comfortable as well confident in yourself. I think this is important if you want to become a leader, if others see what you can be content with who you are, that will show others they can be who they are without trying to do someone your not. This took me awhile to fully understand the meaning, but with the help as others encouraging me that I can do anything I want, made it possible for me to succeed. To this day I thank those people for making it possible for me to follow my dreams and goals. As leaders we want to show you that you are capable of doing anything you put your mind to. We also want you to know what we are going to be behind every step of the way for you to succeed in that certain area. Just hearing Mr. Curry speak makes me want to become a better leader for myself, his words inspired me to not be afraid of anything, and if someone tells you will not succeed at something that just gives me the extra motivation to prove them wrong about there assumption about what I can and can not do. One thing I liked what he said was you can take control of your life, that is so true because this is your life, and you need to make decisions and choices that are best suited for your life.

• Leah Lopez

One of the first principles that Mr. Curry presented was, “Be comfortable in your own skin.” this one resonated with me the most, because for a long time I wasn’t comfortable with myself. Both physically and mentally I felt like I had to change myself for people to like me. I would often not speak up or dress the way I wanted to. My mother has always had a nack of running into some fantastic strangers. Oddly enough I have too. I remember talking to a complete stranger, we were both waiting in the grocery line, and some how got into the subject of appearances. After a short bit we got into talking about the importance of being are selves, which for me I was struggling with. He gave me strong encouragement to be myself, because as far as he could tell I was a “very genuine sweetheart.” It’s crazy to think that this person could completely change me, in a good way, in just a short conversation. He was gay, and said he never truly became himself until he accepted what he was. He felt free and no longer held down. Hearing this made me want to be myself. I will never forget this man, and I will never try and change myself for other people. (I hate saying never, but I like who I am, and I feel like I’m constantly improving, because of my L.O.T. family)

• Jernye Werth

I really enjoyed the video presentation this past Tuesday. When Bill Curry made the two points about leaders knowing who they are and being happy with that and that leaders are utterly honest, I felt like those are two qualities I do possess. This made me feel a little more confident in my abilities as a leader. That being said, when he went on to make the point about leaders having time for everyone, even the “little people”, it made me think. It is no secret that in today’s society we get way too caught up in our personal lives and I can definitely say that I am very selfish at times. This leadership key point really resonated with me and made me realize what I need to work at to strengthen my leading abilities.

• Jillian Smith

Bill Curry was absolutely my favorite speaker of the year so far. I felt that every message he conveyed was truly important, and applicable to my life. One of the points Curry made that really resonated with me is that great leaders not only have time for other influential or powerful people, but they make time for everyone. I’m always so worried about being busy, and making sure I get done what I need to, that sometimes I don’t realize that a good leader is someone who puts other peoples needs above their own. I think another problem that people struggle with is ranking the importance of the people who need them. Just as Curry said, great leaders realize that the little people are just as important as anyone else.

• Leslie Smith

Many of Bill Curry’s key points impacted me and my view of leadership. However, one of his more subtle points resonated with me most. He was referencing a big time name in football. This man went to a high school and spoke, last minute, on a saturday night. Although he did not have to do it and it wasn’t probably even really expected, he showed up. It took an easy 20 minutes of his weekend and made an impact of the lives of those high school football players. Curry said “great leaders have time for little people.” This made me realize that making a difference in an individual’s life is at the very foundation of leadership. It made me think, if a leader is unable to positively impact something “little” how can they ever impact something BIG? Bill Curry’s wise words on leadership are sure to stick with me my throughout life.

• Josh Jarrett

I really enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation, and the most impacting point that he made for me was that there are two pains in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. I heard that saying a few years ago when I first started running and when it comes to running (or anything in life really) it couldn’t be more true. There are so many times where I’ve missed a workout and later thought “I really wish I hadn’t have missed that” but I’ve never went for a run and then said “well that was a waste of time.” If you are disciplined great things can come out of it, I started out my sophomore year as the slowest guy on the team and decided I didn’t like it. I went to every practice and then ran on the weekends on my own. By the beginning of my Junior year I was second only to the fastest on the team who happened to be the State Champion senior year. If you work hard it pays off and you’ll never regret it!

• Logan Hoover

Billy curry made a lot of points in the presentation that really hit me hard. The two main ones that really stuck with me were: be comfortable in your own skin and have the knowledge that you have the ability to do something great.

If you are one way with one group of people and another way with another group you really won’t get anywhere in life because you are conforming to others beliefs, that is why you have to be comfortable in your own skin. If you are afraid of who you really are then you will never live to your full potential.

Everyone has the ability to change the world in one way or another, but not everyone knows that. Billy curry was the smallest lineman on every team he played on and nobody ever gave him a chance, not even his coach, but he knew that he could play with the best. Believe it or not he became a Greenbay Packer and won the Super Bowl. Even when other people tell you that you aren’t good enough or you can’t do something, just know that if you believe it you have the ability to do something great.

Those are two of the many points that really hit me the hardest. I really enjoyed this presentation and I have thought about it every day since and am consciously trying to be comfortable in my own skin and do great things with my life and through the lives of others.

• Carlee Carpenter

Bill Curry gave many great points of decisions we can make to be a better leader, such as being utterly comfortable in your own skin, being utterly honest and curious, having the sure knowledge that you have the potential to do something great, and having time for other people. All of these he learned from a little girl named Anna Grace. These were all outstanding points, that we can each learn something from. However, the one that resonated with me the most was having time for other people. Often times in our world today, that is difficult to do. Our world revolves around the word “busy,” especially if you are quite involved, which is a key point of leadership. In my opinion, being so busy can almost limit our leadership capacity at times. Many of our speakers in Lessons of Leadership so far have highlighted the fact that we must have time for other people, to make them feel cared for and to truly have an impact in someone’s life. Therefore, I believe that a key point in leadership is being able to manage time wisely in order to be involved, but yet still have time to invest in other people’s lives. Because, like Bill Curry said, we won’t be able to have an impact in someone’s life if we don’t set aside the time to actually talk with them.

• Brandon Ngooooooooo

With the aid of Bill Curry, I have finally deduced the secret identity of the evil syndicate that thrives by breaking the wills of others. This clan originates from the earliest negative thoughts of human beings. This cult comprises of members who have mastered the art of verbal beatdowns and the ability to create environments of a bleak and gloomy nature. They exist to crush our dreams, standing as a threat to our ambitions and idealism.

They are called the Fellowship of the Miserable.

Prominent figures of this organization are Han Solo, Debbie Downer, Eeyore, Mr. Potato Head, and Charlie Brown.

Do not be mistaken. The Fellowship is an underground society, hiding in the shadows. They are hidden amongst the crowd. They could be everywhere; they could be our closest friends. They feed upon the failures of others in order to compensate for their own. The Fellowship’s members are compelled to drag others down to join their pit of never-ending darkness, their pit of cynicism. They wait for the right moment to strike, their attacks oozing negativity and discouragement.

“You can’t do that!” they laugh.
    “You should just give up now!” they sneer.
    “You’ll never make it”, they say somberly.

The Fellowship is united by an illness. The illness is called pessimism. The members of the Fellowship are so consumed by pessimism that their very souls require the deepest touches of hope to spark their inner optimism and return them to the light. Many poor beings have fallen so far in the bowels of the darkness that they are unaware of their involvement with the Fellowship. They cannot see themselves because it is so dark. They are victims in their own sense, but their pain ought not to be shared. Their pessimism is contagious, but it must not be spread. Instead, it must be purged. It must be cleansed.

While the Fellowship of the Miserable will always exist, we cannot allow their influences to invade our minds. Succumbing to them would mean to walk the long road of despondency. If we do nothing the Fellowship will have its way; they will drain the remaining reserves of our willpower and reduce us down to apathetic and crestfallen creatures, only a fraction of our former selves.

The Fellowship has powerful members. However, there is only one member that stands out. There is only one member that surpasses the others in every aspect. This person is the most terrible of all; this person is the summit of the wicked. This person is the worst and most powerful member of the Fellowship.

This person is you.

Deep inside your mind, there is a voice that mutters failure. It is a voice that wants you to accept defeat. It bargains with you to give up. To just quit. It is a voice that tempts you to choose the easier path—the path of least resistance. It is so easy to just give up. It is so easy to accept failure. It is so easy to stop trying.

Within in the Fellowship, it is you that is the most powerful. Your power can destroy. It can weaken. But this power can also save. It can strengthen. Restore. It is these inner struggles that can make us stronger—and weaker. You battle yourself every day to use this power the right way. Sometimes you succeed, but many times you do not. Many times you allow this voice to take control because you do not feel strong enough. You’ve lost the will, so you just stop. You yield to that voice and you fall because you allow yourself to fall.

But there comes a point after you have fallen when you cannot hear the voice anymore, as it has already won. You have fallen, but you pick yourself back up. And after all of the pain that has caused, you keep going. The voice returns, but you keep going. It tells you that you can’t, but you choose to stop listening to it. It tells you to give up, but you learn to ignore it. It tells you that you’ll never make it. But you do.

• Elle Aston

Billy’s story about the men sitting at the camp fire resonated with me most. It was a powerful and real message. The story’s main point was that the men died from the cold within themselves, not from the physical cold they experienced. This story reinforced my belief that a leader does not have to be extravagant, a leader has to be the ONE to lead. This may sound dumb but let me explain. None of those men were given an incredible task. Each individual was simply asked to be a leader. This required one and only one person to lead the way. Only one person had to give up his stick for the good of the others. Only one person had to lead. Instead no one led and everyone died. If only there had been ONE!

• McKenzie Belcher

Mr. Bill Curry spoke about four main points to further an individual’s leadership abilities. The first point stuck out to me the most; be comfortable in your own skin. I suppose I can relate this back to myself and my struggles with being an exquisite leader. I think we all suffer with insecurities about ourselves and when working with other people, we need to be confident in ourselves so we can lead and influence others to do the same. If we are not bold in the actions we pursue and love ourselves for who we are, then we cannot get others to follow us in our positive actions. We as leaders should not care what other people think of us or go through peer pressure when we know that our intentions of our thoughts are something we strongly believe will not hender us. They will only make us better people. All four points tie together, though, in the end. If we are comfortable in our own skin, then we can be honest with ourselves and our peers. When we are honest with other people, we gain confidence to do something great. As a part of doing something great, we make time for all people. A well-rounded leader should consider each of these points and live with no regret.

• Meredith Tassey

The point from Bill Curry’s presentation that stood out the most was do something for someone who is not expecting anything, does not deserve it, and will not give anything back in return. At first, this sounds strange, why help someone who does not deserve it, cannot return the favor, and does know they need the help in the first place. If people only help people who help them, it creates a circle of “if you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” or “I did something for you now it is time for you to do something for me.” People have different areas in which they can lend their expertise someone might be able help someone with something but they may not need anything return, but someone who has not helped you might need your expertise and have nothing to offer you in return. If people only receive help from others who have helped them then they might not be receiving the best help. In addition, if they only lend their help to people who have helped them before then it might not be going to the person who needs it most.

• Kaylee Speer

I thoroughly enjoyed Bill Curry’s presentation. I felt like all of his key points related to my life and they are characteristics I need to improve in order to grow in my leadership capabilities. The point that resonated with me the most is the point that a leader must make time for people. Making time for people is so important because that’s what a leader is all about. A leader isn’t a genuine leader if they stick to their own thing and stay alone all the time. People want to be noticed. Therefore a leader must take time out of their lives in order to make others feel appreciated. I strive to help others out as much as I can and to make sure people know I will be there for them no matter what. I still need improvement on this aspect of my leadership along with the other points Bill Curry mentioned. There is always room for improvement and we may never reach our full potential. However, we should constantly strive to find ways to grow in our leadership capabilities.

• Morgan Podany

Billy curry talked about the guy who helped him when he was so insecure about his football skills. One of his main points of leadership was having time for the little people. What he meant by that was making sure you could be a good mentor to someone. This guy impacted Bill Curry for the rest of his life. He led by offering help and assistance to make his dream come true. This is what spoke to me the most, because to be a leader you must set a good example and people have to look up to you. Who better to look up to you than someone you impacted. I know many of the people I think of when I think of leaders are people that impacted my life in the best ways possible. They showed me how to do things.

• Charrissa Pierce

I think the point that Bill Curry made about being comfortable in your own skin resonated with me most. I have real trouble with this when it comes to large groups of people. Around a small group of people, if I have an opinion or idea I will openly share it, but if there are many people I am Much more likely to keep it to myself. I become worried that the majority will not approve of my thought and am suddenly self conscious and uncomfortable with saying it. To be a leader, I need to overcome this fear and not worry about what others think. If I like it, I should be comfortable with sharing it, and if it is not liked, I should keep trying and listen to the input of others.

• I believe the most important concept I got out of the presentation was the art of discipline. The fact that he would get up exceptionally early to practice for the upcoming game, then head right to Chemistry for school showed he had discipline. This applies to anyone who is in college. For most of us, we are now able to make our own decisions. Whether it be to go to class, stay up late, not do homework, everything we do in college is mainly from our own choice. Our parents are not there to tell us what to do or how to act, that is up to us now. Yes it might suck that you have class Monday through Friday starting at eight in the morning, but skipping the class will not help! This is my third year in college and what I have learned is even if you can barely understand what is going on in the class, attending this class everyday can help you improve. If you miss even one day in a class you struggle with that can put you behind for weeks. You might think that you have a million other things to do and no one is as busy as you, but you’re wrong. Many college students work two jobs, take five classes, be a part of organizations, raise a family, maintain friendships, etc. People are just as busy as you and they are able to make it to class! The best thing to learn in college is time management. It took me three years to finally figure out how I can study, work, and do activities that I enjoy. Always remind yourself why you are in college, to get an education. Don’t stop just because you missed a class period. Push forward and someday you will be receiving that degree you have been dreaming of!

• Katelyn Ledford

I took a lot away from Bill Curry’s presentation about being a leader. It is hard for me to say which point resonated with me because they all spoke volumes. I will say though, the one lesson that may apply to me most is “knowing that you have the potential for greatness”. Realizing your own potential is so very important to a leader. Your personal impact can be so much bigger when you really know what you are fully capable of. I often see the potential of greatness in others but not in myself. At first I thought being in the lessons in leadership class would be intimidating, but actually it has been opposite. Being in this class surrounded by such great leaders is very inspiring. I would not be placed with this amazing group of people if I wasn’t capable of doing great things. I realize my potential is much more than I thought as time goes on, and this gives me more confidence to lead. I can further my leadership capacity by knowing that I too can do great and amazing things.

• Jobie Burks

Bill Curry’s three main points of being a leader included: remaining comfortable in your own skin, being utterly honest by telling the truth all the time, and having that sure knowledge that you have potential to do great things. A leader is someone who stands strong to what they believe, even if they go against the grain. These three points resonated with me because they are all perfect descriptions of the traits all leaders must have. By carrying all of these traits, it makes for a strong, independent leader, who has the ability to take a stand and do what is right, not only in their live, but in others who look up to them. Bill Curry explained the definition of sainthood as being “a person that does the right thing without even knowing it.” Every great leader shows this characteristic in every aspect of their life by finding their motivation and not giving up.

• Melissa Brown

I agree with Mr. Curry’s decision to go to the school he wanted even though a teacher told him he would never make it. He chose to apply himself and prove everyone wrong. I think that this is a good way to influence motivation. I also agree with the point of helping others without knowing why your doing it. People should not need a reason to help or to gain anything out of helping others. They should help because they can. I will use this in my future because to me this is the real definition of being a leader. To help because I have an opportunity to influence another persons life for the better.

• John Maloy

What a presentation! I’d never seen a video get an applause. This man spoke with vigor, a sternness, and a drive that was translated through the recorded video. I really appreciated it and can only imagine what it was like to be there in person and to hear him speak. One point I think in today’s day and age that is hard to accept or reach is being comfortable in ones own skin. Bullying, run way models, giant athletes, and the fellowship of downers make it hard. Not that runway models or giant athletes bring you down, but media says we’re too short, not thin enough, too dark, or started too late. It’s sometimes hard to reaffirm ourselves from time to time. I think that helping remind someone of their best qualities goes a long way to helping someone feel comfortable in their skin. He said that he had someone help him through the hard times when he didn’t think he was good enough. We as leaders can pick up where he left off and give praise and encouragement to someone that needs it.

• Candace Baker

Bill Curry’s presentation had three main points: Be comfortable in your own skin, be honest and curious, and we all have the potential for greatness. I feel that his first major point, be comfortable in your own skin, resonated with me the most. In order to lead others, you need to give off an air of confidence in your words and actions or no one will take you seriously. Being comfortable with who you are isn’t only applicable to being a good leader; it applies to every aspect of life. I would like to go further with this point than Bill did and venture to say that you have to love yourself above all else. You can’t be the best person you can be without first loving yourself and accepting your faults and your talents. We are all human, and none of us are perfect, but if we love who we are and always put our best foot forward, we can achieve great things and become the strong confident people we were born to be.

• Caylee Cooter

I really enjoyed Billy Curry’s presentation. One point really stuck out to me: Leaders have time for EVERYONE. So many times I think leaders get caught up with knowing the right people that we forget about those people who need others most. The average everyday people we run into might need a friend and we might benefit from them just as much as we would by meeting some succesful person. Being a leader involves making time for anyone who needs it. Also, I really liked when Bill said “Unexpected, undeserved, unrewarded kindness.” I personally get into the mindset of if I do this, then I could get this in return. However, we, as servant leaders, need to be kind at all times because one random act of kindness could change a person’s life forever.

• Haylee Hay

Bill Curry presented three main characteristics of a leader. The three main points were to be comfortable in your own skin,be honest, and know you are capable of doing something great. I agree with Mr. Curry that a great leader needs to have those three characteristics. I think the one that mostly relates with me would be being comfortable in your own skin. Im comfortable being me in any situation or place. I think the one thing i struggle with the most would be believing in myself that i can do something great. I am working on being more encouraging to myself instead of relying on others to tell me that i can do something amazing.

• Jaeton Cary

The point that hit me the most was when he talked about encouraging the people you have effluence over. That is something that is hard to do because it requires us to go out of our way to give assistance. However, like in his example it does not take very much to make an impact. Simply using encouraging words can change someone’s attitude. Really encouraged me to try and find ways to help with other where I can.

The other point that impacted me was when he was talking about knowing who you are as a leader. Knowing what your strengths are, and using them to make a difference. Be confident in your abilities and use them. Part of being a great leader is also knowing your weaknesses an addressing them as well.

I very much enjoyed his discussion and look forward to more speakers.

• Bailey Hayes

The three main points in Bill Curry’s presentation were: Be comfortable in your own skin, be utterly honest and curious, and we all have the potential for greatness. All of these stood out to me, but the one that resonated with me the most would be being comfortable in your own skin. I think without being comfortable in your own skin you would lack curiosity, and also not strive to reach your full potential greatness. If your are uncomfortable, or have not truly discovered who you are how in the world will you be able to lead others or come close to reaching your potential? I think it is very important for the leaders of today to be able to be satisfied with themselves so they are ready to react to situations that arise and also be able to cope with whatever challenges that could come forth.

• Jake The Snake Phillips

Bill Curry’s speech really opened my eyes on what it takes to be a leader. His 3 points that he had on being a leader were: Be comfortable in your own skin, Be honest and curious, and know that you have the potential to do great things. The one that had the most impact on me was knowing that everyone has the potential to do great things. That really inspires me and makes me want to go out and make a change in someone’s life to help them accomplish great things. Bill Curry’s speech was my favorite speech to listen to this year because he just put how to be a leader in perspective for me.

• Summer Hill

This week’s presentation was wonderful and I learned so much from it. I loved when he talked about the fact that we all have the potential for greatness. Some people feel like they can’t do anything in the world. I believe it’s important for everyone to realize that no matter how small their acts are, they are huge to someone and that makes them great. We often forget that we were put here for a purpose and that everyday someone counts on us, loves us, and believes in us.

• Elizabeth Jordan Nichols

Bill Curry defined a leader as someone that is comfortable in their own skin, completely honest, and confident enough to know that they have the potential to do great things. It was strange, but even though he was talking on a video I felt as though he was in the room with me. The point that stuck with me the most was that every person has the potential to be great. When he talked about the little girl who believed that she could be anything really hit home with me. He made the point that children are blind to the fellowship of the miserable, an all they see are possibilites. I remember being a little girl and asking my mom if I could be a rockstar or the president, and she would always say of course honey. Then somewhere along the lines that changes. It is like the older a person gets the more and more people tell them that they cannot do something. Instead of dreaming big people are expected to be realistic. Bill Curry faced that problem several times. His high school councelor told him he could not make it at the college he wanted to go to, his college football coach told him he would never be good enough to start, and he himself got discouraged when he went pro. However, their was always someone their telling he could and taking the time to help him. Thats what true leadership is. A true leader has time for everyone, and sometimes do not even realize that they are being a leader. A real leader is someone who wants to help and inspire without any reason. I know that for as many people in my life telling me I could not do something their was at least one person telling me I could. That one person gave me the courage to try and live up to a higher standard. I hope that I can be that person for someone else some day.

• Ellen Boarman

Bill Curry included several main points in his presentation; however, a common thread, more so than a single point, resonated the most with me. That point being that leadership is a continuous process that requires constant growth.
    Being comfortable in your own skin is an important point to being a leader, yet “your own skin” changes over time, remaining confident and comfortable in that skin often requires mindset changes as you grow. Being willing to spend resources without gain, changes throughout life, as what and how you are able to impact others may change.
    Awareness to Curry’s key points, and how they change over time is what I feel makes a leader sustainable.

• Jessica Nguyen

My favorite part of Bill Curry’s presentation was when he compared characteristics of a leader to that of a child. A successful leader is comfortable in his or her skin and is honest and curious. This approach is so simple and down to earth, and it describes many leaders that I’ve known. I’ve always liked the concept of being “like a child,” because children have an incredible energy whenever they really want to do something. If they want to do it, they do. There are no “what ifs” or “buts”, because for them, anything is possible. Whenever I feel too caught up or overwhelmed, “like a child” pops into my head and gives me inspiration to pull though.

• Jovanna Ortega

Of Bill Curry’s three points the one that resonated the most for me was his point that everyone has potential for greatness. To me, no matter how difficult life can be or what circumstances one has come from, if they work hard and never give up then anything is possible. In history there are many instances of people coming from unfortunate circumstances to achieve greatness. If people who had every adversity thrown at them managed to come out on top then people who were more fortunate should be able to as well. If everyone has the potential then that means I do and that even when I am at a rough point or just having a bad week, as long as I keep going and striving to be as good as i can then I too can reach greatness.

• Ashton Pittman

The point that most resonates with me is that of being utterly honest even when it is really hard. I think this is so hard to do especially when your faced with adversity and a million other things. But one thing you never want to do is get caught up in a web lies even if they are not serious. Sometimes we have a tendency to exaggerate situations and it may not always come back and bite us but it sure wouldn’t look good if it did. Being truthful shows that you are credible and people look up to and trust a credible person.

• Nora Garcia

One of Bill Curry’s main points was that you have to be comfortable in your own skin which in my opinion is one of the greatest quality that one should have to be a great leader. If you’re comfortable in your own skin than you have self confidence, which is very important. That means that you know how to carry yourself in front of others and you feel comfortable enough making decisions. You won’t be easily persuaded by what others believe, but stand firm in your own. One of his other points was that we all the the potential for greatness and that’s something that we all have to remember on a daily basis. It’s easy to get discouraged and not try our best, but we have to know that we really do have the potential to do something great. Maybe we can’t change the world, but maybe we can have an impact on someone and maybe change their world. And the last point that he made that had an impact on me was when he said that you can never let someone else define who you are. That had an impact on me because it’s true you really can’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. They don’t know your potential like you do, and if you truly believe that you can achieve it than there’s no one that can stop you. That made me realize that whatever road I take it’s not going to be easy, but that I have the potential to do it.

• All the points that Bill Curry presented resonated me a lot. If I have to choose one I would like to go for “we all have the potential for greatness”.
    During the presentation, I could feel the full of confidence in him. I think ‘knowing the potential in himself’ made him more confident. We often become desperate after we fail. But if we are aware of the potential of ourselves, we would have a will to challenge for something really challenging. And even if we fail, we can overcome the frustration more easily and not hesitate to challenge again. Knowing ‘I also can be the great man’ will make each person fell confident in oneself.
    By imagining how great I could be someday in the future will make me feel confident, challenge and be great!
    Knowing the potential for greatness is the most important key to help success. I would surely be the greatest man in the future because I know the potential for greatness in me.

• Brittany Robinson

We make several decisions everyday, some are minor but some determine our future. When we make decisions that affect our health, relationships, and grades the consequences can be detrimental to the rest of our lives. By making decisions that increase the quality of ours lives we will only benefit ourselves.
    I think what resonated the most with me was how Mr. Curry spoke about treating others. When we make that decision to be kind I believe ultimately it makes our lives more fulfilling. Being kind to others is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

• Gabby Applegate

Bill Curry’s speech was a major motivation to me. He had four main points to his presentation, Be comfortable in your own skin, be honest and curious, remember we have the potential to do something great, and make time for the “little people”. I believe the two that made an impact on me most was be comfortable with yourself and make time for smaller people. It is important to be secure in yourself as a leader because you cannot lead others if you are too preoccupied with your own self. You must be secure in yourself in order to lead others. It is also important to make time for smaller people. Leaders make time for everyone, and you never know when one day you might need something from someone and they will actually help you out just because you made time to sit down for a coffee one day or something as simple as that. Many times it’s the small, quiet people that turn out to be the successful engineer or the CEO of a company.

• There are two pains in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. The harder you push yourself the more positive outcome. I really liked how he talked about having the knowledge to do something great, I believe having a optimistic outlook is vital for a successful life.

• McKenzie Hodge

When leaving the class after listening to Bill Curry, I was insipred and motivated. I felt that nothing could stop me from my goals, dreams, and growing as a leader. Each point he made hit me, and made me reflect within myself, if I am doing the best I can in that area. His first point, of being comfortable enough in your own skin to be a successful leader made me think. Sometimes, with the world’s pressure around us to look and act a certian way, we lose ourselves, and the characteristics that make us unique. As leaders, it is our duty to let everyone know that just being themselves, is all they need to nbe. No one needs to fit this mold and conform to the ways of the world, but rather stand out, make a difference, and LEAD. His second point of being completely and utterly honest was also a point that hit me. As leaders, at moments we turn into people pleasers and lose the aspect of being honest with ourselves. Can we add one more organization into our schedule? Can we give that organization 100% all the time? It is important that we ask these questions to ourselves and always make sure to answer them in the most honest way we can. His third and final point was the one that resonated with me the most. Sometimes, we let others opinions get inside our heads, and we begin to doubt ourselves. When you are a leader, you can find yourself at this point alot and begin to wonder, can you accomplish what you have set out to do? As Bill Curry said, “We know in our hearts that we have the potential to do something great.” Everyone has a fire inside of them to get out into their community, and make a difference. Sometimes self doubt gets in the way. But we must always remember that we were destined for gretaness. We just have to keep that fire alive within us, and put it into action.

• Logan Bidack

During Bill Curry’s video presentation, the most vivid point that spoke to me was his example of how others in our lives can greatly impact our growth as individual leaders. Mr. Curry’s head coach was extremely discouraging and realistic about his future in football; if he would have listened to this man he would have been satisfied with settling for less than his potential greatness. It was because of his assistant coach that Curry didn’t give up his dream of playing in the NFL. This mentor saw his potential and invested all his time to making sure he succeeded. Curry worked one on one with this assistant coach to improve his skills until he made it. Just as Curry’s mentor, we should inspire others and show them their potential as leaders.

• Jillian Chambers

Billy Curry’s point of being comfortable in your own skin resonated with me a lot. That is something that I definitely need to work on in my own life. Having a confident air about you is something that makes others want to follow your lead. Through my years I have struggled with being confident in myself and my abilities. But through this past summer and beginning of this semester I have begun to realize that it is something I need to improve on in order to further my leadership abilities. I am comfortable and confident when around those I know and have worked with before, but need to work on being confident even when around strangers. That is something I will need throughout college and my career.

• Alexis Ridenour

A few key points Bill Curry spoke about were being comfortable in your own skin, being honest and curious, and knowing you have the potential to do great things. I honestly loved all three of these points because they truly relate to every day life. Leader or not, these are top priority characteristics to attempt to live by every day. Being comfortable in your own skin is important because everyone should get to know the “real” you, it is only fair for both parties. Secondly, being honest and curious about EVERYTHING is a wonderful trait to have. Being honest gains accountability and trust from others. Being curious opens endless opportunities and your knowledge is growing continuously. Lastly, knowing that you have the potential to do great things reassures yourself mentally every day that you have a purpose in life and you are meant to live for something more and strive for success every day. The three points Bill Curry informed us about via video are points I will try to live by through out my college career because I believe thy are key ingredients to help me succeed not only as a leader on campus but as whole as a person going through the roller coaster of life.

• Taylor Haines

All of the 3 points made by Bill Curry are aspects of a leader and what everyone should strive to do. The one that most related to me was to be comfortable in your own skin. I feel that it is something I struggle with and I should strive to do. To me that means to be more confident and to believe in yourself. I need to believe that my ideas are just as good as anyone else’s and that my opinion will be valued. Any leader should want to do the same. Coming across as comfortable in your own skin and being confident leaves a good impression on someone.

• Samantha Gaspar

Bill Curry’s video was one of the most influential I’ve ever watched before. He was able to connect on a deeper level than just talking about the characteristics of leaders. One of the characteristics that I connected most with was being comfortable in your own skin. I feel like aging this quality would lead up to also having the other qualities such as making time for litte people. I have had many insecurities in my ability as a leader and just in myself in general for a long time. This is a set back for me and listening to bill curry opened my eyes and gave me things to work on to better myself as a leader and a person in general.

• Caleb Grinnell

Bill Curry’s video was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. One of the characteristics he mentioned was to give time to the little people. Many times we get busy with our everyday lives and don’t take the time to help those who can’t always help themselves or don’t know how. Also to be there for people when they least deserve it. I have learned in past experiences this is the most difficult thing but it is when they truly need you the most. It takes a leader or a strong person to be able to comfort or be there for someone who seems so undeserving. These are the traits I will work on to grow as an individual.

• Bill Curry’s presentation was truly inspiring for many reasons. The one reason that stood out to me the most was his point of being comfortable in your own skin. This is like a huge eye-opener!! When he mentioned this is was like a light bulb turned on in my brain, it finally made sense! We must be happy with who we are in order to be a positive leader. When one is self confident they aren’t afraid of standing up and becoming a leader or attaining their goals. In today’s world we are expected to handle so much at once that I think we lose sight of our inner beauty if you will. I personally have pledged to myself to be a more positive person and to be happy with who I am. With this, I believe that it will attract others and therefore make me a stronger leader who can influence more people than before.

• Kelcie Scarberry

Bill Curry’s speech was made up of three points concerning personal leadership decisions. The one that spoke the most to me was to “make time for everyone.” I believe as a good leader its an important job to make sure everyone is included and no one falls through the cracks. I completely agreed with the comparison to the young children, because that kind of innocence and acceptance of others is something we should all strive to achieve. My favorite thing he said was, “Unexpected, undeserved, unrewarded acts of kindness demand a response. Find someone who needs you and help them especially when they don’t deserve it.” This idea of unconditional kindness is a quality of a great leader and the only way to serve others.

• Rebekah Fisher

Bill Curry’s presentation was in a word, incredible. To me, the point that had the most impact was talking about Anna Grace Webb and her ability to be comfortable in her own skin. I personally know her through being in the leadership program at Rose State and working with her mom. She is truly an example of how people, leaders especially need to be. Being comfortable with who you are allows one to be the best leader that one can possibly be because each person is specifically designed to be a different type of leader. Too often individuals try to be what everyone else thinks that a leader ought to be, but as history shows, the best leaders are those that are completely themselves in all parts of life. This is a personal challenge of mine, and I believe Bill Curry’s words will help to accomplish this goal.

• Michael Southerland

To be a great leader you must be comfortable in your own skin. There are times, do to other peoples expectations, you do not feel comfortable in your own skin. I have come to find that this can happen a lot; however, I mostly find this in the fellowship of the miserable. That is one problem with having a big heart, caring about other people. They will get you caught up in their misery to where you find yourself aggravated about things in your own life. Care about people but avoid this fellowship at all costs.

Search for a way to improve yourself. You have the potential for greatness, so don’t quit searching for what it is that is special about you.

The pain of discipline comes from giving up something to do the right thing. Opportunity cost is the greatest thing given up in order to take another action. Minimize the pain of regret by not being self-centered. Have time for fellowship, helping your fellow man, but avoid getting caught up in the fellowship of the miserable.

• Some of the points I like the best that the speaker made wa when he was talking about staying grounded and basically doing whatever it takes to be successful but also not letting things discourage you. I also liked when I would refer to his grand kids to make points about the presentation because I understood where he was coming from as far as watching my parents deal with some of the same things. Also when Bill curry was talking about re leaders and what it takes to be a real leader I agree fed with him because it takes real courage to be a leader because you won’t always know where you are leading somebody until you get to the place you need to be.

• Nicki Perry

BIll Curry made many excellent points. The one point that stuck out to me most is learning to be comfortable in your own skin. In order to be an effective leader, you have to know yourself and accept who you are. Knowing who you allows you to help people to your fullest capacity. If you are not comfortable with yourself you will not ever make anyone else feel comfortable!

• During his presentation, the point that stuck out to me the most was his second one: be utterly honest and curious, even when it hurts. I have a hard time sticking up for what I know is right and what I believe in. Being honest in a situation or curious to why something is going on in a certain way in so important. Not only will we have a weight lifted off our shoulders, but we will be able to understand where other people may be coming from. Each point hit home with me. His last point: having the sure knowledge that we have the potential to do something great. I am a very strong believer in the Lord and am constantly fighting an uphill battle to bring Him glory. Understanding that the Lord has an enormous plan for each of us is unbelievable. Once we grasp this thought of knowing we have the potential to change the world, we can do it! We can move mountains and make change and progress, even if it’s just one life at a time.

• Justin Nida

I definitely believe that this is one of the best speeches that I have heard in a long time. The point that spoke to me the most was when Mr. Curry talked about his friend from the football team that took the time to help him and build him up. Then later on when he asked why, the guy had no real answer of why he did it. Stories like that truly amaze me. When people do good things without realizing that it is a “good thing”, it can make an awesome impact in the world, or even change the course of someone’s life. Where might Bill Curry be without the motivation of his previously intimidating teammate? Many people do nice things and that’s great, but when you realize the value of your deeds then it is not done out of true goodness of your heart. Bill Curry’s video inspires me to do good things habitually without expecting anything in return; these are the types of people that I look up to and that is the type of person that I want to be. 

• Victoria Atkinson

If anything has ever motivated me to do anything, it would still come second best to this phenomenal speech and video by Bill Curry. I have never wanted things to happen for me as much as I have this year and he made the statement, “I knew I could, because I wanted to.” He never limited himself for greatness. And I think that is a big deal these days. Especially when college students have no drive and fear for their future job because they don’t know where they fit. Another great point he mentioned was the fact that in order to do the best we possibly can, we must be comfortable in our own skin. If anything is true, it is this point. No better is better at meeting you, than yourself. I took away from the video to challenge myself. Not with just school, but with everything. Strive for greatness, and who knows, you might just achieve it.

• Zachary Southard

Striving for the best is paramount for victory. However, victory is perceived differently from person to person. In my opinion, victory is a silent competition to prove you capable of achieving the unbelievable. Those who do not want you to achieve greatness are your direct competition; as they aim to produce deprecating justifications with the intent of lowering your standard of victory to one lower than their own. Disciplining yourself to aim at astronomical standards is a vital component for surviving optimistically in a pessimistic world. Remaining buoyantly enthusiastic in an ocean of demoralizing defeatists is a dominant characteristic which truly qualifies one to be a leader. Our mission, as leaders, is to be that shining buoy to others who struggle every day in attaining the unattainable. If someone truly becomes the ill-fated hermit with no goals and no true virtues of a good life, they will unfortunately live regretfully with nothing worth remembering “(a)s life is action and passion (and) it is required of a man that he should share the passion and action of his time, at peril of being judged not have lived.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

• Erin Schuljak

For me, when Bill Curry said that “There are two pains in life: the pain of discipline, and the pain of regret” resonated the most with me. Most of the time, it is hard for me to stay disciplined with my homework, broncho blog, studying, and involvement. But in the end, if I do stay disciplined in regards to these aspects, it will pay off. I will earn the better grades and get the most out of my college experience, and hopefully have no regrets later in life.

• Janelle Archer

The point Bill Curry made that really spoke to me was to be comfortable in your own skin. That is a quality I have been working towards my whole life. I have always wanted to be those people that have no inhibitions. I admire those people who can truly be themselves and not care how silly they look, because they love who they are and they aren’t afraid of what other people think. Those leaders amaze me every day, and I hope one day I can be one of those leaders as well.