The Art of Networking

As young students technology plays an important role in your friendships and network. What are strategies and practices that you can develop and maintain to build networks that rely not only on technological advances, but also through human interaction?

• Jernye Werth

I think in today’s society, we have lost the essence of intimacy in face-to-face interactions. With the prevalence of text messaging, email, and social networking sites, we tend to use technology almost as a crutch when it comes to personal interactions. However, living in today’s society, it is necessary to stay tuned in with the latest technological advances. The key is to find a balance between using technology and using personal interactions to build both professional and personal relationships. I think a good strategy could be to initially reach out in person or through a more personal outlet like a written note. After that initial connection, I think technology should be used as a tool to help set-up face-to-face interactions. By doing this, we are maintaining the use of technology as a tool, not a crutch, and still building interpersonal relationships and therefore not losing human interaction.

• Meredith Tassey

Technology is win/lose situation. There needs to be balance between the online, social media networking, and real life interaction. Social media is great for staying connected but it can become too impersonal. There is no doubt that technology is the future .Programs like Skype and other live webcam chat programs can provide a balance between the two. Even though you may not be in the same room as the person, you can see them via webcam and they can see you. If someone were to have a business meeting via Skype, they would need human interaction etiquette skills to conduct a constructive business meeting. You would not want to be at your house have a business meeting and brushing your teeth in front of the webcam for your business partner to see. Even though society seems like it technology is making it so that we never have to leave our house, we still do and if we were to run into a business acquaintance in public at the grocery store or at a business function it is important to know how to interact with them face to face.

• Leslie Smith

I believe that no relationship, business or personal, is meaningful without consistent human interaction. The growing number of ways to connect with friends, family or co-workers without having to meet face-to-face is normally very convenient. However, once someone begins to rely completely on technology for their relationships, something is wrong. As young students, we should practice having more face-to-face meetings. We need to learn how to participate in real life networking like the ones David Woods spoke about tuesday. We need to be much more personal in the way we communicate through letters and phone calls. It has become so easy for our generation to become reliant on “online personalities” and almost forget that what we do and say in real life means more than anything we could ever post online. Going to social events and participating in live meetings will help young students make deeper and more lasting connections with people in all areas of leadership.

• As technology advances, it is hard to not utilize it. Therefore, it takes extra effort to make those face-to-face interactions. I believe this is why we utilize technology so much, because we do not want to exert the extra effort. I think an easy strategy to implement is to use technology to broadcast and promote face-to-face interactions. For example, creating a Facebook group that meets once a week in person. We must practice putting in the extra effort!

• Mackenzie Prescott

Networking is something that I’ve always tried to do well but it has become even more evident since I have come to UCO! Especially through LOT. Sometimes I won’t even be the one that is doing it, I’ll be talking with someone or telling a story and find out we have a mutual friend or some of our older members who it seems like they know EVERYBODY on campus, it’s all from networking! As leaders it’s important that we network because that leads to more service opportunities. Most of the service activities that I have participated in weren’t from me just googling “service projects” it was from someone inviting me or recommending me. it was through the people i had met or had in my network. Building relationships is an important thing and we need to remember that it’s not just about how many Facebook friends we have, it’s about building strong relationships with people and growing those relationships. You don’t meet somebody then make a business deal the next day. It takes time. We need to be the best people and best leaders we can be and reach out!!!!

-Mackenzie Prescott

• Blaire Blevins

I think that in today’s society technology has became a big part of your everyday life,whether if you use it in your personal life or for business. I feel that we have taken some advantage of technology with the way you communicate with friends even in the workplace.
    Technology has enrich our learning experiences but not sure if getting information and knowledge online could be as powerful as having a face- to- face interaction. It is good to be updated with new technological advances but I think sometimes we take advantage of it then we should. Receiving a note or letter from someone has more meaning to it then a e-mail, text message ,or etc. A strategy I feel that you could incorporate is finding a balance of when it is a good time to use technology and when do use human interactions with friends, professors, employees and others. This would be a goal to to strive on and make new changes in today’s society. It might take some practice to not focus on technology advices but in the end result using human interactions will make more of a difference and impact on anyone then relying what has become apart of our everyday life.

• Brittni Blevins

I could not agree more about how us as a society use technology to communicate with others. Technology is not a bad way to communicate or network, but one thing it doesn’t provide is getting the experience of actually meeting that person face to face. I have seen since I came to college how a lot of people do things through technology instead of human interaction, I personal like the human interaction because it lets me get to know people on a different level, then just through technology. Technology is starting to become a big part of how colleges, schools, work places etc. run their business these days.
    I think we can try to make a way that we incorporate both of these skills in our everyday lives. Something we could practice on is to educate others on the positive outcome of both these areas. All you need sometime is practice to fully understand the concept. A strategy that we could do is make a plan of action to make this goal that we need to improve as a team or individual. Strategy is about having a set of options then coming up with a plan to fix it.
    By putting these things into place can hopefully a make difference in how we make decision on how to network certain people or business.

• Carlee Carpenter

This new era of innovative technology has both pros and cons. It can be a great asset to being a leader, but it can also be very detrimental to key relationships. Because our generation has grown up in the midst of this boom of technolgoy, we have almost lost sight of what it means to have a true face-to-face interaction with someone. Even if we do “schedule a time” to have coffee with someone, our time is compromised with them because our iphone is booming with texts, or we are rushed to get to the next thing on our calendar. Unfortunately, I believe that this greatly compromises our ability to truly show someone that we care for them because we are not giving them our full attention. In addition, technology has also had an effect on our ability to communicate face-to-face. Although we may be able to say something through a text or facebook message, our ability to actually speak that person to someone is compromised. Our use of the words “um” and “like” have increased because of this. In my opinion, we can build networks through human interaction by specifically setting aside time in our days to sit down with people, without being distracted by what is going on around us. We can give our undivided attention to that person and network through an actual face-to-face conversation. In conclusion, the innovative technology has many pros and cons; we just have to find a blanace between the two.

• Zak Cooper

Technology has been a wonderful asset in today’s society, but it has also hindered everyday conversation. As a student, I walk to class and either see someone texting, listening to music, or talking on the phone. There is never a time to engage in face to face conversation. Don’t get me wrong, technology can improve communication, but it can also hurt it. Once you have made connections, technology allows you to keep interacting with them regardless of where they are. Let’s say you go to a conference and meet someone from China. You guys exchange information and are both pleased to have met each other. With technology, such as the internet, you can still e-mail, call, even text from miles away. One thing that annoys people is when someone seems uninterested in the conversation. It is rather irritating when you are talking to someone and they either pull out their phone to check Facebook, text someone, even begin to call someone. When you are engaging in a face-to-face conversation, leave technology out of it. Use that once you are both apart to keep in touch. Always keep in touch with people you make connections with, you never know when they could help you out.

• Bailey Hayes

Technology has advanced through leaps and bounds and will continue to do so throughout our lives. In today’s time, it is much more common to have a conversation through texting or email, rather then even calling someone due to our busy schedules. The lack of face-to-face interaction, or even a telephone conversation has made society lack the communication skills to develope a personal relationship. To be able to use both technology and human interaction, individuals should branch out and meet people at conferences or other contacts instead of arranging business plans or meetings through text, email, or social networking. Even though human interaction may cut into our “busy” schedules, it creates a faster response time while creating a personal relationship which could lead to future opportunities later on.

• Jovanna Ortega

People use technology for just about everything and it has become a hinderence to human interaction which, in my opinion, is very important not only in business relationships but in everyday life. Technology should be nothing more then a means to communicate if there is a long distance between people or to setup a face-to-face interactions. Technolgy is still something we need but it is a tool that should come after human interaction. There a many things people can do without out technology such as having someone over for dinner or sending them handwritten notes or gifts they would like. The best thing to do is to use technolgy but only when necessary because human interaction is very crucial when someone wants to build a lasting relationship.

• Brandon Ngo

So you’re asking about some strategies and practices that a person can develop and maintain to build networks that rely on TECHNOLOGICAL advances?

Easiest question I’ve heard all week, and I’m going to talk about it in a way that most people don’t these days.

The answer is simple. Meet a guy for a couple of minutes, add him as a “friend” on Facebook, and never see him in real life again. Follow her on Twitter and retweet her tweets that weren’t actually directed toward you. Type in “hey how r u” on your phone and send it to your best friends to let them know you’re concerned. Or say “good how about u” if they ask first. Heck, find something to rant about and make it a status update so people will “like” it to show that they agree. Rinse and repeat.

While technological means of networking can be effective and convenient, I dare to say that face-to-face interaction puts it to shame. As our lives are heavily influenced by ever-advancing technologies, many forget the importance of functioning without them. Studies have shown that technological devices such as cellular phones, computers, television, and even iPods are devastating our social skills

We are reaching a lower standard of sociability because we choose to use technology as a substitute for face-to-face interaction when in reality, no such substitute exists.

Now, our “social circles” may have been inflated by technology (e.g. 1000+ friends on Facebook), but this means of “socializing” cannot and will never be as powerful and rewarding as personal interaction. Tell me about the moments when you’ve had misunderstandings happen while text messaging your pals. Why does this happen? With technology, there is no body language or emotion to be observed. There are no voice tones to identify and sympathize with and there is no eye contact to truly connect with someone through. All we have here is 🙂 for happy and >:-( for angry.

“Yeah, I totally know how you feel!”
    No, you don’t.

In fact, I again dare to say that with technology having an increasing presence in our lives, we have become shaped to be more superficial than ever before. Our attention spans have been drastically reduced as we text message others at the dinner table right in front of the people we’re eating with. We only post our best photos on Facebook to make ourselves look the best we can. We have been proven by studies to have weaker social skills as a result of technology’s role in our lives. And don’t think any of this doesn’t apply to you. It applies to everyone, myself included.

No, technological advancement isn’t the problem. In fact, it’s one of the best things that has happened in our lifespans. In some aspects, it’s even an absolute necessity. The real problem is being unable to balance it with our social lives. Evidently, we choose to let it control our socializing for us, which allows no balance at all. The key solution is to control technology instead of having it the other way around. Ever seen Terminator?

This imbalance is a silent epidemic that is killing our social lives.

And I know what you’re thinking: “What does this have anything to do with building networks?”
    My answer: Everything!

Personal interaction is and always will be the most dynamic way to network. There is absolutely no better way to know a person than to actually stand face-to-face with him or her, make a conversation, and hear each other laugh. These personal connections do great wonders with networking. Sometimes, we just don’t seem to remember that.

The thing with personal interaction is that we get better the more we engage in it.
    Or we get worse the less we do.

So you’re asking about some strategies and practices that a person can develop and maintain to build networks that rely on HUMAN interaction?

The answer is simple. Smile. Say hello. Start conversations. Make eye contact. Perceive body language. Remember names. Exchange contact information for the sole purpose of meeting again in person.

Rinse and repeat.

• Jillian Smith

Recently, my dependence on technology was tested. My sister’s phone was stolen, and it took two weeks for her replacement to come in. Now, although she only lives twenty-five minutes away, it was so laborious to try to communicate with her. After this experience, I realized just how much our society depends on technology. Yes, technological advances have made our world what it is today, which I am more than thankful for. However, I think our society has become too dependent on technology; we have computers in our pockets, and cell phones that are constantly going off. I think our society should continue to move forward with learning and growing in the area of technology, but I also believe that personal interaction and communication should be stressed more frequently. David Woods, the CEO of Giant Partners, mentioned how personally written letters leave a lasting impression.This becomes extremely important in the career field, because people want to work with sincere people, which is why I believe a larger emphasis should be placed on personal interaction within our society.

• Technology has almost taken over as the main tool by which friendships and networks are created and maintained, however it is very important to remember that technology is just that: a tool. Technology via social networks, email, texting, etc., can be used to develop and maintain friendships and networks, however it’s important to remember that the core of these interactions will never change: people. Technology may allow one to be informed and up to date on events, but we must attend these events and not just tweet about them. It’s all about taking the time and making the effort to meet up in person and build relationships and networks. Technology may be a tool, but it shouldn’t be used as a shortcut to fast networks that will inevitably crumble just as quickly.

• Samantha Gaspar

“its not always what you know, it’s who you know.” I have always heard this statement but until recent years not quite understood why people thought this way. I have learned in the past job and present job the reason they were interested to find my resume from in pile was because someone I knew that worked for the companies recommended me. Networking is the key to getting jobs in today’s business world. It is true that technology is causing causing our face to face communication skills to suffer. It is important that we take every opportunity to meet people when we can and build lasting relationships. When you do this those people are more likely to introduce you to other people and it just opens up a lot of doors. Although it is great to have face to face the technology world is also wonderful in networking. While searching for internships I have found the people I know email people they know. Before I know it I have spoken with the company and have an interview. It basically makes the company very accessable to speak with where the chance of meeting face to face to talk about an interview are very slim. The mostninmportsnt thing for our generation is to keep a balance between technology and knowing when the face to face is the appropriate choice. Also to never pass up opportunities that could develop new relationships.

• With technology continuing to advance at a rapid pace, it is important that we stay updated. Along with being involved with the latest technology, I think it is important to stay in touch with the ways of our ancestors. For example, an email or a Facebook message is not exactly what I would call memorable. But a handwritten letter is! As we become professionals in the business world we need to build our network by simple actions of communication and following up. We should practice face to face coffee meetings between emails and personal ways of communication. It’s important to start practicing good habits now so it becomes second nature. I personally try to keep in touch with old friends and family through letters and surprise gift baskets at various times through the year. I sent out
    “happy fall” cards and realized it had much more of an impression on people compared to Christmas cards. There are so many opportunities to communicate and network in today’s society that the options are endless!

• Josh Jarrett

Networking is so much more important than most people realize. Technology just helps in keeping in contact with those connections you make. I can’t tell you how many people I have met, became facebook friends, and then years later I see them again in person and they have been able to help me out. I have heard this several times since I came to UCO, “It’s not about the grades you make, but about the hands you shake.” Now that doesn’t mean you can do poorly in all of your classes, but it is better to have a 3.5 and know the president of the company that you want to work for than have a 4.0 and not know anyone important.

• Kelcie Scarberry

Our generation is pretty lucky to have so many technological tools available to us. As far as finding people and getting in contact with them, Facebook is a really great tool. It’s also a great way of advertising and letting people know about things. It does, however, become an issue when people only network through the Internet. Without actually meeting in person it loses the real meaning. I think using technology for networking is just the first step. It’s a great way to get you started, but following through and meeting with the people in person is the real purpose.

• Matt Goodwin

The best method of getting anything of worth from any networking relationship is to show interest in other people and projects. Whether this means preparing to meet someone in person at a social event, or just maintaining regular long distance correspondence, one must always be sure that they do not treat their friends and assets as expendable or unimportant. It is much easier to work with others when you understand something about them or their field. Making request or demands of people whose respect or goodwill has not been obtained is obviously less successful. Whether one is using technological communication or meeting in person, there is one thing that should always stay at the front of our minds: our friends and assets are vitally important to our lives, and we should always strive to show them that.

• Jobie Burks

I believe ultimately it boils down to “The Golden Rule.” We have to treat others the way we want to be treated. Today’s society relies so much on technology that sincerity does not have the same definition it used to. In this fast-paced world, a lot of us become obsessed with getting every day tasks completed in the quickest way possible, and not really realizing how our go-getter attitudes could affect others. I think talking to people is of utmost importance, not texting, but actually talking. It is so important to be sincere and treat another individual like you really do care about what they are saying. You never really know how that person could help you one day. It is important to maintain eye contact, have a firm handshake, and to have a forward facing stance, just as David Woods told us. The key is to be polite and to be a leader in every situation you can.

• McKenzie Hodge

Our generation is known to depend on technology. With that, we are also known to have lost that face to face interaction that many generations past, take pride on. Socially, we have created a gap. We would rather text each other, then pick up the phone and actually talk to that person. To bridge this gap, we have to make the effort to really be conscious of how we contact each other. We need to pick up the phone more, interact with each other face to face, and really get back into the habit of developing relationships with one another, on a more personal level. This will increase our social networks, and take them to a deeper, more effective level.

• Nicki Perry

Although technology is amazing, I think that it is more beneficial to speak to someone face-to-face. However, in such a busy society like today, meeting face-to-face is not easy. If you cannot set up more intimate meetings with someone, good strategy to build and maintain that relationship is to give them a phone call once a week as opposed to a text message or email. In my opinion, when someone calls me to talk I feel like they actually want to be talking with me. When I get an email or a text message asking how I am, it just does not feel as genuine, even if it truly is. People need to realize that technology is a good tool to use when you are far away from someone you are networking with, however, if you are close enough to drop by and say hi in person instead of an email, then DO IT!

• Katelyn Ledford

There are more and more ways to connect with people as technology advances. These tools make it easy for us to communicate with others. As leaders we need to be able to adjust to these changes and use them to our advantage. However, tech-communication should not be the sole way we interact with others. Yes, communication can be as simple as sending a text or an email, but this can be seen as passive or lazy and is often over-looked altogether. Interacting face-to-face, personally calling, or even sending a note is something that is memorable. Focusing solely on technology to communicate can actually end up becoming a hindrance. Communication through technology is a great tool to use when networking, but we have to remember to mix it up. I think practicing various forms of interaction is the best way to build up and maintain networks that are important to you.

• Lauren Moore

In our generation, we rely way too much on communicating through technology. Even though technological advances are a wonderful thing, it is debilitating the communication skills we were meant to use. The best way to get people together here at UCO is to create study group to enhance learning and to retain the topic. When we are meetings for our clubs and organizations, let’s put away our phones completely away and start communicating with others more. When we are at parties or important work events, let’s get out and meet who we want to network with and stop hiding behind our newest technological toys.

• Whitney Hazelbaker

Technology is a wonderful thing, but it is no secret that the advances of technology have been detrimental to human connection. Whether it is facebook, twitter, text messaging, e-mailing, etc., everyone connects with their friends through at least one of these channels on a daily basis. I am willing to bet that more times than not, most people have more interaction via the web or their cell phone than in person, human connection. Sad, but true. I don’t necessarily think that these things (facebook, twitter, text messaging) are bad, but should be used in moderation. We should strive to keep up with our family and friends on a more personal, intimate level. I think a good strategy for relationship upkeep/networking would be a good balance of the two-technological communication AND human interaction. For example, use your technological vices to keep in contact with someone in between seeing them face to face.

• Menglin Kong

I really love the way how we can feel free to ask any kind of question to the speech-maker. In today’s speech, I had a new understanding of the net-working. I learnt how to shake hands properly with a person. Also, I learnt how to talk with a crowd of people in an appropriate amount of time. I found these information really helpful to me.

• Caylee Cooter

One thing I try to remember when meeting people is that you never know where these people come from. Every person should be treated with respect and kindness. Through this, I believe a person can build networks with many different people, without even realizing it. The importance of not just talking to someone on the phone, but also getting to see them in person and have that interaction with them is huge. Looks and personality say a lot about a person and I believe you can not reap the full benefits of networking without having that in person communication.

• Jaeton Cary

I believe that networking must reach a balance between face to face, and technology. We must see the advantages of personal interaction. Personal reaction makes a stronger bond with the individual your contacting, cuts out possible miss communications, and helps us grow as people. Technology also has its advantages, such as it allows you to communicate with anyone from anywhere. Technology lets us communicate when both are busy and not able to sit and carry on normal conversations. In the end, our generation have been blessed with the most avenues of communication ever, and we need to be good stewards.

• Ashton Pittman

I think strategies that can be developed and maintained through human interaction is always being friendly and putting forth a friendly attitude and smile. Shaking hands and having eye contact are crucial in marinating relationships. Also remembering names and significant details about people will help. Being polite and kind and maybe even writing thank you cards when the need arises. Most importantly, I think confidence helps out a lot. People want to be around and are drawn to those who are confident and if you are confident it is easier to talk and have conversations with people.

• Summer Hill

The technology we have is an amazing tool that we have at our fingertips. We have to opportunity to connect with everyone we meet and check up with people that we have known for years. Because we have this technology we can’t forget about the importance of face-to-face technology. We must use technology as a way to further our connections in our daily in person lives.

• Candace Baker

Both human interaction and technology play important roles in our relationships. I believe that human interaction is much more personal than the technological approach. While the use of e-mail, cell phones and texting is convenient, it is sometimes hard to leave a good impression or get a point across with these approaches. Nothing says confidence like a healthy handshake and a bright smile from a well dressed well mannered individual. I’ve learned over the years as I’ve developed many types of relationships with people that you get out what you put in. You can’t expect something out of nothing, so if you want to impress someone or simply become more acquainted, I believe the face-to-face approach is the best method.

• Zachy Southard

Our generation has a very unique view on technological advances regarding complex networking. When we were younger, our generation relied solely on an adolescent view of face-to-face communication with maybe a little phone mixed in. Texting, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc. didn’t exist until we were teens. Then, just like everyone else in the world, we quickly adapted to the foregoing mentioned and use them excessively every day. Now, even talking on the phone is rare. This technological transformation is a double-edged sword that in my opinion is hurting society more than it will ever help society for simple reasons like less natural face-to-face conversation and more awkward moments with new people or even people you’ve met before. This is most unfortunate.

Avoiding these networking disasters is paramount for anybody who fancies succeeding in the world today. Jernye Werth, the first to post on this blog article, nailed it right in the head. Technology should be used a tool, NOT a crutch. I absolutely loved the plan of action David Woods taught us in class for throwing a good reception. Here are my exact notes:
    “1. Find/copy attendance list
    2. Study the list. CREEP ON FB
    3. Choose 4-6 people to meet
    4. Have points of discussion to talk about
    5. Keep in touch through phone/FB”

While this was specifically meant for a reception, his plan can easily be turned into a regular routine for meeting someone easily and effectively making a permanent network connection with them. When you’re simply meeting someone for the first time you don’t really need to creep them up on FB, but knowing a little about them before hand is still a better starting point than nothing at all. However, if you don’t know anything at about the person you’re meeting, having some intelligent conversational prompts to talk about already memorized is a must. If you feel that staying in touch with the person your meeting for business reasons, etc. is critical, then exchange numbers and/or FB and wallah! You’ve just networked a new friend and/or business asset!  Make sure you RECONNECT or else all of the above is a waste!

• Zachy Southard

“1. Find/copy attendance list
    2. Study the list. CREEP ON FB
    3. Choose 4-6 people to meet
    5. Keep in touch through phone/FB”

While this was specifically meant for a reception, his plan can easily be turned into a regular routine for meeting someone easily and effectively making a permanent network connection with them. When you’re simply meeting someone for the first time you don’t really need to creep them up on FB, but knowing a little about them before hand is still a better starting point than nothing at all. However, if you don’t know anything at about the person you’re meeting, having some intelligent conversational prompts to talk about already memorized is a must. If you feel that staying in touch with the person your meeting for business reasons, etc. is critical, then exchange numbers and/or FB and wallah! You’ve just networked a new friend and/or business asset! 🙂 Make sure you RECONNECT or else all of the above is a waste!

• Leah Lopez

I have always been big on making impressions, whether it was applying to a small job or talking to a teacher. Personally, I am horrible at technology so for me it has always been very important to me to talk to someone in person or at least on the phone. I find it difficult to convey feelings through texts, or emails so when it comes to trying to mix technology with human interaction I find it hard. I think maybe face time could be one practice. Honestly though I think that human interaction is something that you have to make the extra time for and we tend to forget that, because of how convienant technology is. So I don’t think it’s the matter of how to have human interaction through technology, but having the push to make that person extra time in your schedule.

• Elizabeth Jordan Nichols

Technology makes communication easy. People can communicate with one another from all over the world through phones, emails, skype, etc. However, people can be completly different in person than they are through technology. Being put in a social situation where people are forced to communicate face to face can tell a lot about a person. Personality and mannerismis are seen in a social setting. It is easier to learn about a person by physically talkikng to them. The way a person dressses and works a room can also tell you a lot about a person that you would not be able to through technology. I know that I personally text differenty then I talk. People are different over technology.

• Janelle Archer

I feel like today’s society has lost touch with face to face communication because of what technology can do for us. I believe knowing how to use technology and keep up a professional image while using your technology (such as facebook or email) is very important, but I also believe that knowing how to carry yourself in person, in a face to face conversation, is more memorable, and honestly, more important. Once one can find a balance between the two, I believe it will be much easier to network and leave a good impression.

• Hye Eun KO

These days, many people contact each other by relying on the Internet. We can get the information of a partner on the Internet easily. Through that information, we come to know he/she is a good partner or not and if one seems to be good, we can contact them. From searching for a partner to the initial connection, technology, especially the Internet, plays a big role. After the initial connection, with developing and maintaining the relationship, I think the face-to-face meeting or conference is needed. To keep the relationship continuously, feeling intimacy one another and showing sincerity is important. If the meeting is held, people would become more familiar with each other and they can show the sincerity, for example, by keeping ettiquette or doing a little favor for one another. To show how simcere I am to my partner, the way not relying on the technological advance but to trying to meet them would be better.
    To build, maintain and develop the relationship, using both technological way and human interaction is the best. We should think about and determine which would be better and choose how to do in each steps.

• McKenzie Belcher

Networking plays a huge role in society today. Without having skills to communicate with other people, there is less chance that an individual will get hired for a job or just form a firm relationship with important people that can be useful in their own life later on down the road. Mr. David Woods spoke with us about many useful tips for successful networking such as the planning of an event, physical appearance, and the socializing event itself. One should not only impress another but, more importantly, imprint.
    Today, we rely too much on technology and online social networking. We have lost our strong abilities to communicate with others face to face, especially this generation. If we take the tips that Mr. Woods mentioned into practice, then I believe that the success of our generation will rise. Although online and telephone conversations are great, a person cannot fully get to know another indiviual until they meet face to face. A personality says a great amount about a person. By simply shaking someone’s hand, sharing a smile, and remembering another’s name, a special bond is formed that can develop a friendship and network.

• Kaylee Speer

Technology has become so prevalent and essential to our lives today. This advancement in technology has increased our abilities to network with people anywhere around the world. This type of connection is truly amazing and our generation is blessed to be able to utilize it. However, this social networking has decreased our abilities to communicate face-to-face. Young people and most adults are on their phones constantly, communicating through text messaging, emailing, or through a social networking site. This communication has affected our capabilities of meeting in person with other people and also writing correctly on important papers. Social networking has affected our spelling and grammar skills due to slang and auto-correct. As a rising generation, we must continue to work on our communication skills. We can do this by making sure we use face-to-face confrontations sometimes instead of just texting or emailing all the time. Even though we should try to keep communication through personal ways, social networking is still vitally important. Being able to communicate with anyone around the world at anytime of the day is truly amazing and a blessing. We have the world at our fingertips. Let’s use it for the best!

• Rylee Flowers

Living in the generation that we do it is important to follow up on any online networking that we make. This means that if you do network online it is important to follow up with that person and meet them face to face. Whether that be lunch or coffee or something simple like that. I also think that in this generation we rely to heavily on texting or e-mailing. Personally, I believe a phone call is more personal and leaves a lasting or more effective impression. This generation needs to learn to use their basic fundamentals of public communication versus communication through technology.

• Rebekah Fisher

Human interaction is vital for life in my opinion. I am an individual that needs to see people and talk to people throughout my day. I like to feel a connection with others; a unity with the world, essentially. Technology can be an incredible tool for staying in contact with others. It is most assuredly an aid to connecting with people in different parts of the world, which could be extremely profitable for business interactions. Obviously, personal interactions are the best networking situations, but technology helps with the follow-up and maintenance of those initial personal interactions. Technology should never replace personal interactions for it has the traditional connotation of being impersonal. People connect with other people, not computers. Today, technology is taking major steps in bridging the gap between impersonal and personal. With new technologies such as Skype, businessmen and regular “average Joe’s” are able to have a more efficient connection over the internet than ever before. The future of technology is incredibly intriguing, though it can never replace personal connections. Personal connections mold us into who we are; they allow people to unite and form relationships that are vital to life. Humanity requires personal interaction.

• Nora Garcia

In our time now most of us use technology to communicate with everyone around us. That’s how most of us in a way network, and get to know others. But as leaders we have to distinguish how we want to use that to our advantage although technology is a great way to network. We also have to learn how to interact in person and than use technology to help us create that friendship. In order to be able to create connections that will last. Making those connections can be very beneficial especially when you graduate. You may find that one of those connections is working in your field and that they can help you to get a job. We have to remember that now is a great time to make those connections.

• Having technology at our fingertips is wonderful, but it also puts us at a disadvantage when coming to our social lives. We are now so technologically advanced, we hardly take the time to have an intentional conversation face to face. Communicating via email or text message is great when discussing general topics, but following up on these topics is very important. Meeting with another in person or sending them a letter or just a simple phone call can make the biggest difference and impact. When communicating via technology it is difficult to understand one’s real thoughts and his/her sincerity. Having a face to face conversation with someone can make the biggest difference, not just when it comes to life, but when networking as well.

• Jessica Nguyen

Though technology is a great way to create networks quickly, they aren’t always as long lasting because of the impersonal aspect. David Woods hit on three topics that I think are key to developing networks. The first is to get to know the people you want to meet before you actually meet them. It’s a conversation starter and shows respect for their work. I especially liked it when he mentioned talking to the “loners.” They’re sometimes forgotten because they’re away from the action, but they can be just as interesting and outstanding or more. Lastly, handwritten letters or little notes are a must. They feel homier and are less common than emails, texts, or mass produced printouts. Each of these can leave deep impressions, leading to strong networks.

• As we move further and further into technological advances, we begin to start losing face to face interaction. The speech given shows that to firmly grasp the idea of networking it must be in person. From giving a good handshake to making enough eye contact, it really makes a difference in the other persons eyes. Learning how to work certain events will definitely give me a better understanding of what to do when the time comes. “it’s not about the grades you make, it’s about the hands you shake” -mark johnson

• Logan Bidack

Successful networking requires building connections through an integrated approach of technological resources and personal investments. A great way to begin these connections is to research who you are going to be talking to. Technology can be a huge asset when planning what to talk about. For instance, you can google the visitors on the guest list prior to the event. The next aspect is creating an intended personal bond to the person. One way to do this is to handwrite a letter to them after having an encounter. This will make them realize that you care more about them as a person than as a future client.

• Taylor Haines

I believe the most important type of networking is face to face communication, followed by technological interaction. Technological interaction is key to have because the world is becoming more technologically advanced every day, but you do not get to have the personal relationship you normally would when having face to face conversation. By having personal interaction you get to form a more personal bond, which means that person will trust you more. When having a personal conversation you need to look presentable, because appearance tells a lot about a person. You also need to leave a good first impression by being kind and being yourself. By doing these few things, along with others, you will have a success through human interaction.

• Gabby Applegate

Networking is such a huge part of life. I remember being told by my brother and parents that it’s not about what you know, but its about WHO you know. As I have gone off to college I have realized just how true this statement is. I got the job I have right now not because I had a good resume, but because I knew the manager. It helps so much to make a good impression when meeting people, because you never know when later in life you might need that person to help you out with something. Although technology is such an awesome way to communicate, we must remember that face to face contact is also super important. One is more likely to remember you and help you out if you make personal contact versus texting, emailing, or calling them on the phone. You just must balance and figure out the right times to talk to someone face to face and when it is appropriate just to text someone.

• Jillian Chambers

I think that we need to make sure that we don’t simply rely on technology. Human interaction is a key aspect of networking. People need to be able to put a face and experience with a name. That makes you that much more memorable to them, and THAT is what we’re going for! You want them to think of you when they come into a situation involving your field. While technology is an important aspect and helps in many ways, we must make sure to make personal contact with people.
    I also agree with Caylee when she says we need to be aware that people have many different backgrounds. Being one of the few people who treats them with such respect will make you stand out as well.

• I think in todays society networking is helpful to be successful. In society most people communicate just using technology. I think we should all have a class or something about networking because i think its a vital part of being successful in a business. something i need to work on would be talking on the phone to people and emailing and being professional.

• Larry wells

Some strategies and practices one can use for networking is number 1 always be prepared whether it be the attire you where or just having business cards ready to hand out. One should be able to interact with people and be able to pitch ideas to executives without coming on so strong. And lastly a greatvnetworkingbtool is being able to exchange information not just give out your own because you need to be able to follow up on certain leads because it could be a potential job offer.

• Jake Phillips

As technology becomes more and more of a role in today’s society I think that peole start to loose some of the values and traditions that older generations learned when they were our age. Having technology in our social life really effects our ability to interact face to face and it kind of puts a barrier up between you and the other person. I feel like it is important to use some the old customs when you meet someone like making eye contact and actually listening to what the other person has to say instead of just trying to get through the conversation. I also think it is important to remember the other person’s personal information like their name, where their from and just anything else they might say about themselves.

• Brittany Robinson

As the world of technology advances, we slowly lose face-to-face interaction. Utilizing every personal interaction is vital for networking in the long run. I think it is so important not to rely on the Internet or social media to establish and maintain friendships. However, utilizing these sources can also be extremely influential in relationships. For instance, if you were to meet someone at a social event you could keep in touch by email or Facebook. However, keeping in touch by visiting or having lunch with someone makes the relationship much more personal. It is vital in a relationship to make an effort to see someone; it shows that you care.

• Alexis Ridenour

Things we can emphasize on as young adults networking include more casual lunches, taking the extra time to get to know someone, and actually remembering things about the person we just met. As young adults it is important to socialize not only with a select few but a different groups of people. Asking people to go to lunch or grab something to eat is always a safe way to better your knowledge of an aquaintance. Another important aspect, we are usually so caught up in ourselves that we forget to ask about others and communicate more with people outside of our every day friends. It is important to branch out from time to time and actually give them five minutes of your time to get to know more about them. Lastly, when you bump into someone you have met before, it is good to remember something about them to engage the conversation of “catching up”. This will leave a lasting impact on the person and make them realize that you actually care about them. If we could commit to following through with these simple steps, we will benefit in the long run because of the lasting connections we have made with people.

• Michael Southerland

Networking to me has always been on a personal basis. Although you can never know exactly what you will get with someone or a business from a face to face meeting; I have found that this can go a long ways towards mutual respect and better communication throughout the relationship.

When it comes to planned networking, you should always present yourself in the best possible scenario. When networking with people that you don’t know, technology can play a big part. It never hurts to research all the possible information you can about someone or a company ahead of time. People have an added sense of importance when someone, unknown to them, can say good things about them or some of the things they have done. If you are networking with a business, it is imperative that you know something about them and knowing about some of their history could pay tremendous dividends.

Technology can also play an important role in networking opportunities like seminars, conventions, banquets, and in general any place you go to learn or exchange information.

Never underestimate the value of the next person you might meet.

• Justin Nida

While technology plays an essential part in today’s society, I believe the best way of networking is in person. I believe that face-to-face communication and more effective and sincere and we should use technology to bridge the gaps. Also, many people are different when it comes to communication. Culture plays a large part as well. For instance, people from South America place a huge emphasis on personal interaction with one another; whether it be in the business setting or informally. I prefer to talk in person with people rather than using online communication because it builds more meaningful bonds. However some people are good at using online resources to communicate with others, and if they are good at it then more power to them!

• Charrissa Pierce

Technology is a huge part in the way we communicate daily. It can help us, but also hurt us. When we first meet someone in person, it is much easier to carry a conversation then later communicate through technology than to do the opposite. If there is someone you have been e mailing back and forth for a while, I think there is a point where you should ask to meet up over a lunch or cup of coffee. It helps a lot if you meet in person and discuss any misunderstandings or questions you each might have.

• Ryan Murphy

I believe as leaders it is vital to have a respect for networking and communication. Before you stop reading this, I want to share an experience I have had with Networking. Whenever I am in-between classes and only have 15-20min to eat I love to find someone sitting by them-self @ Buddy’s and sit with them. Who knows what God will do with the relationships that I have gained.
    Personally i am not very big on Facebook/Twitter. I understand that they can have an impact on group planning as a source for mass communicating details to a large group of people. Aside, how many people post things on Facebook thinking I Am Broadcasting this (belief/update/vent/rumor/indirect dis) to a large group of (acquaintances/friends/teachers/prospective employers).

• Caleb Grinnell

We all know technology is the driving force of our world today. Also, it is true that without technology we would not be where we are in todays society in communication. It is very important that while using this we continue to make a great effort to have just a much face to face communication. This not only shows that you are taking the time and are interested in the person, but many things are miscommunicated through text of email. It is much more effective to have a conversation in person. This is what people in our generation and in past generations must learn is a balance between technology and knowing when to use face to face. Past generations did not have such advanced technology in their time so the technolgy is new to them and might prefer the face to face. It is important to pay attention to what each person prefers and base your communication with them off of that. It not only would help you but show respect as well.

• Logan Hoover

I feel like technology has both helped and hindered all of us in our friendships. One way it helps is that no matter what you are doing of where you are you can talk to almost anyone in the world. But many people think that because they can talk to people online or over the phone that they don’t have to talk to them in person to have a relationship with them, which is not true. You always need to be able to have a direct face to face with anyone and that is where the people in our generation are falling short. We lack the ability to talk to people directly due to things like texting and Facebook. To fix this we have to go out of our comfort zone and just talk to people. It’s that easy.

• Zack Garrett

The easiest way to stay networked through nontechnical means is to be involved. Being involved in organizations will make networks that will last. PLC is a great place network. We will all be leaders one day. The connection we gain through this program will be long lasting. The relationships we build here will helps as we get older.

• Samantha Perry

Networking is so extremely key in keeping a base in leadership. The people you associate with in anything reflects on you and your views. We cannot only rely upon technology to get our ideas out there. We must show up and make an appearance. PBeing seen at any event at any instance will get those to recognize you and be familiar with you, even if they have never spoken to you. It’s important to remember, it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

• I think that there is an art to keeping a relationship alive whether it’s business or personal. Technology has come so far that we basically have instant access to one another. There are times when we utilize that ability and often somthing is lost in that. What is lost is the human aspect and the general care for another. I understand life these days is extremely busy and quick technology makes life easier, but we should not neglect real interaction with people in business, networking, or our personal lives.

• Morgan Podany

Technology is a very useful tool today, but it must be used sparingly. Just like everything else, there is a right time and place for it. Networking is no exception to the rule. There is no beating around the bush about it, it honestly is all about who you know or who you introduce yourself to. The main concept of networking is communication. Even if the person gets on your nerves, act like you are interested in what they are saying. You never know where they could help you out along the way. Always make sure they know that you are excited to see them. It may seem shallow, but on the other hand, everyone should get a chance for a relationship with you. Just give it a try. You’ll never know their story or how they could help you unless you give them a chance. Technology helps keep in touch tremendously. Just send a text to a person that pops up in your mind, it may make their day. It all happens by chance and a little effort. You never know what the possibilities could be.

• Victoria Atkinson

Networking is a very huge deal isn the lives of college students today. The key is to find a balance between the art of human interaction and the privilege of being able to communicate through the Internet and other various networks. A good habit that we has college have to get ahold of is checking our email. As small and insignificant as it sounds, that is a huge key to success in college when it comes to talking to your teacher, boss, family, and friends. But we must remember that nothing is more important in building relationships than honesty and eye contact. It shows the person that you really ar einterested in them for what they have to say. It’s a balance that is easiest to control if we start now. And luckily, PLC causes us to do this.

• This is one very insightful article. It’s content that puts me in a pensive mood. You know you’re reading valuable content when it provokes thought in the readers. Thank you.