9/11 and Your Experience

With the anniversary of 9/11 this past week a significant number of memories and emotions return for Americans. How do you feel your generation will continue to remember this day? What thoughts do you experience when thinking of this day in history?

• Jernye Werth

I believe that my generation will always be affected by September 11 much like the effects that Pearl Harbor had on the individuals of that generation. I think the biggest aspect of my generation’s remembrance will be just expressing our pride in being Americans, remembering those who lost so much, showing our thankfulness to our service men and women, and counting our many blessings as Americans and citizens that may not have been as directly affected by the terrorism those 11 years ago.
    Thinking back on September 11, 2001 I remember being in second grade and getting sent home early from school. I had no idea of the significance or the impact that those terrorist attacks had then, and would still have now, on our lives as Americans. Each year as I grow older I gain a better perspective on what it means to be an American and just how big of a deal that attack on our country was. It definitely makes me count my blessings, and just realize how important policemen, firefighters, members of our military, and all other service men and women are to our society and security. If anything positive could possibly have come out of that day 11 years ago it would be the increased awareness of just how fortunate we are to be Americans.

• Alexis Ridenour

I feel as if our generation will continue to remember 9/11 by showing great appreciation and gratefulness for our country, troops, police, firefighters, families of victims, and everyone who has helped or been impacted by this event. I still remember to this day exactly where I was and what I was doing when it was announced over our school intercom what had happened. I was so little then I did not fully understand what kind of impact it had on our country. Now, obviously, I am aware of the whole situation and what is has done to our country. Honestly, remembering 9/11 every year makes me proud to be an American. It gives me chills just thinking about the people involved; victims, survivors, the rescuers. Just being able to recognize those certain people and the whole day itself is a humbling experience. Life is too short and you never know what tomorrow holds. I love how selfless, supporting, loving, compassionate, and amazing everyone is on 9/11 because it is a day to remember, reflect, and honor. Sometimes I am guilty of taking our country for granted because we have it so easy here and constantly feel protected and safe. Because of 9/11 and the awareness it has brought, I try to remember not just once a year, but that every day is a gift from above and I, we, are beyond blessed to live in a place with so much pride and support for one another during such tragedies like 9/11. I loved the American flags covering Broncho Lake this past Tuesday and all of the attention they sucked in. It was a reminder for students, teachers, citizens, and even service men and women, that we should take pride in our country every day because those fighting to protect us overseas do not go a day without being proud of America and having the strength to fight for our freedom and protection. Without the people who are willing to give up their lives for one more day of peace for their loved ones back home, we would not be able to do the things we do and have the freedom we are allowed here, back home, safe and sound.

• Zak Cooper

When 9/11 occurred, many of us were still in our elementary schools, confused because people were scrambling around us. My friends were being sent home, people were crying, nobody was talking and I had no idea why until I went home. Today, I realize how much this tragedy has affected us, good and bad. Many families lost their loved ones, but we truly showed how much of a great country we live in. Currently, my major is nursing and I plan to travel around America to help those in need. Watching how the medical professionals worked together in this emergency really touched my heart. Titles were not used this day. If you were a doctor and was asked to do something minor, you would proceed to help. Even when the south tower was collapsing, medics were still trying to help the injured. Some people might see this day as tragic, but I see it as inspiring. Hundreds of people sacrificed themselves to save someone that they did not know. Medics disregarded the fear of death and saved those in need. Today, we must not forget to inform the generation on what happened. This moment will be remembered in the hearts of many, but never forgotten.

• Meredith Tassey

Even though many of us were in grade school when the events of 9/11 took place, I sure we all can still remember where we were at, what we were doing, and who we were with when we heard about the attack. September 11th will from now on be a date that is imprinted in the minds of the people of my generation. After 20 years or even 50 years, we will never forget that date and the events that took place because of the intense emotions we felt. Tragic events like 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bombing remind us that anything could happen at anytime. With that thought, it is import for all people living within the United States (and ideally around the world) to band together all the time instead of just when tragic events happens.

• Leslie Smith

Our generation will remember 9/11 by participating in events just like the one we were are a part of om tuesday. Wheather you were a person placing flags or someone simply walking by, you were forced to recall the horrific events of September 11, 2001. Our generation was young, but for the most part we can recall where we were and what we were doing on that day. We will forever have a deep sense of patriotism on september 11th. By volunteering and telling younger generations about that day, the day will never be forgotten. When I think about that day, I remember being so young, but knowing something was so wrong. My family lived on an Air Force Base near the east coast. Many of the students were immedietly checked out of school and went home that day, including me. I remember seeing the heros of that day. I will always be thankful for our men and women in uniform. As well as the brave civilians who stepped up that day to save lives.

• I think my generation will remember much as in the same way my grandparents remember Pearl Harbor. Thet recongized that event that shocked the nation and both events of September the 11th and Pearl Harbor brought the nation together. It was hard to believe that eleven years have already passed. I think my generation will hold onto the significance of the tragic day and forever be aware that there are people out there that strive to inflict chaos and harm against the United States. I tend to think of where I was, what I was doing, and how moved I was by all the support our nation gave to those that lost a loved one.

• Summer Hill

My generation was so young when the tragedy happened. We know what it is a some can remember where they were. I know that is my mom’s birthday and at the time I didn’t really understand what was going on. When I look back on the tragedy I realize that so many people were hurting. I think about when I have lost a loved one unexpectedly and how that has changed my life. There are so many things I see that remind me of him in my everyday life and it hurts. I can almost imagine the pain those people felt that day and are still feeling to this day. Our generation is one of technology so I am sure whatever way we remember that day will involve technology of some sort. It is so easy to make a post on Facebook saying that we are remembering the day but I wonder how many people actually dwell on that day 11 years ago.

• Carlee Carpenter

9/11 is a day that affects every person in America. Whether they are a soldier, policeman, government official, or college student, that day is one of great remembrance. Even the kids who were born after the day recognize it as they see the flags around the country and the reports on the news. I would hope that our generatIon would continue to remember 9/11 and give the victims all of the honor that they deserve. I hope that we would be filled with thankfulness towards our soldiers, firemen, and policemen for every year to come. Gratefulness should always consume us. I believe that it is as important as our country’s independence day as it was a day that the entire country unified together because of disaster. To me, 9/11 brings two emotions. One of humility as I realIze that the victims and rescuers are the true heroes. The second is gratitude of the many men and women who sacrifice their time, money, families, and lives for our safety. 9/11 may have been a day of disaster, but I don’t see it that way; it unified our country in ways that nothing else could.

• Jovanna Ortega

As years go by, I believe our generation will continue to honor those who passed away and those who offered their help on 9/11. Even though we were young and for the most part did not fully understand the gravity of the situation, as we have grown we have come to understand how deeply impacted our entire nation was. We watched our nation rise up as one big family to mourn and heal over this tragedy. Because we were young I feel that most of us will always remember this day by giving thanks to the people who have protected us and by giving a moment to those whose life were unjustly taken from us. Whenever I begin to think about 9/11 sadness washes over me as well as a sense of deep patriotism. It is hard to believe that so many innocent people had to die. The patriotism comes from seeing how strong our nation was and can be in wake of the attacks.

• Kaylee Speer

September 11, 2001 will always be a prominent memory throughout my life. Every year when this day rolls around people prepare to reflect and remember those who lost their lives and those who gave their time and efforts to the rescue mission. These people can never be repaid but our generation can continue to show our gratitude and appreciation. We can do this by having memorable sessions, praying for the families affected, and taking cards or food to the individuals who continue to serve our country each day. They put their lives on the line to make sure we are safe and that type of service can’t be replaced by anything else. Whenever I think of this day, I immediately remember where I was and what I was doing when I found out and the thoughts that followed. After my mom told me what had happened, I realized that my aunt was supposed to be in NYC at the same time. She had been scheduled for a busy meeting that was to be held in one of the Twin Towers. She got sick that week and missed her flight. I will be forever grateful that God kept her safe that day. Even though He kept her safe, I know so many families suffered that day by having a loved one taken from their life. I will continue to pray for the families affected and being thankful for the people who risked their lives to help with the rescue.

• Samantha Gaspar

Unless you were alive during the fall of the twin towers you will never truly understand how it felt to see the whole country in a state of panic. Gas station lines going clear down the street, the news replaying the footage over and over for days, people not knowing whether they would ever find their love one in the rubble, and even at a young age just feeling so helpless. September 11th is a day that will be remembered forever but I believe our generation might have been to young to know exactly what a tragedy 9/11 was at the time. Most of the fear we had was seeing how our parents reacted and the older generations, thats what i will always remember about that day. Now it is such an eye opener to see the history channel play everything back since I am older and see things so differently. That one day in history changed the world we live in forever.

• Morgan Podany

Soon enough the people who weren’t even born when it happened are going to be celebrating 9/11. Some are going to ask why they even are celebrating it. To me, 9/11 is what brought America together. It gave us a sense of patriotism. There were less American flags being flown prior to 9/11 than after. Even though that was a very somber time in America, it really pulled together the true meaning of what being an American is. How proud we were to say where we were from and how we were strong though a tough time. I hadn’t gone to school that day and all I remember was sitting in the living room and watching it on the news. I had no idea of what was going on, but I could tell that something was terribly wrong just from my mom’s reaction. Just being aware of what happened and why we celebrate it could help tremendously with the upcoming generation. 

• Matt Goodwin

I believe that this generation will always strive to remember this day because of the emotions and imagery that it stand for, unlike the previous generation, which remembers 9/11 because of the memories they carry of it. For the new generation, the actual event is merely a peice of history, since most of them cannot remember firsthand anything from that time. But what they can see is how it changed their country, and even today we can all see the effects that day has had. For the new generation, 9/11 is a symbol of how the American spirit cannot be broken, and also of the cost of the American way of life. And while the pain our nation felt will someday become a secondhand memory, those two thoughts will remain in the thoughts of every American for generations to come.

• We should produce some materials to those who experienced 9/11 some
    years ago to remind them of its significance. To the children who really aren’t
    acquainted with 9/11, we should inform them of how important it is to history. Also, I
    think the anniversary I participated in last week is another good way to continue to
    remember it.
    Even though I was in Korea and was young, 9/11 was a big shock to me.
    We don’t have an annual event like this, so it is easy for me to forget it as time goes
    on. While listening to what the president said, I thought to myself, “This is very
    critical not only in American history but in the world’s history.” I told myself twice that
    I would pray for victims and their families annually, even if I go back to my country.
    Participating in this anniversary was a really good opportunity to be reminded of 9/
    11’s importance.

remember it.
    Participating in this anniversary was a really good way to be reminded of 9/
    11’s importance.

• Gabby Applegate

9/11 impacted every life in America the day it happened. It is something that will never be forgotten by our country. Even though my generation was so young when the tragedy struck, we will always remember and keep it dear to our hearts. It affects each person a different way. Whenever I think of that day I remember being confused and scared. I had recently visited the Oklahoma City bombing memorial and was right at the age where I finally understood what happened. My mom came and picked me up from school crying on 9/11. I will never forget me asking her why she was crying and her responding someone did something very bad to a building in New York City. My response to her was “It can’t be as bad as the Oklahoma City thing can it??”. Sadly, I was wrong and many more life’s were lost that day. I remember me being scared because my dad worked for an air force base and I thought they were going to hurt him. This day affects each American in a different way, but it caused us to all come together and remember how blessed we are to live in a country like America, where soliders, firefighters, and police officers sacrifice their lives and safety every day just to keep us safe.

• Leah Lopez

I think that our generation will continue on remembering 9/11 with memorial services and moments of silence for all the innocent victims. I don’t think our generation will forget this day, because for many like me we were in school and out of nowhere our parents were checking us out and rushing home. Even then when I didn’t really understand what was going on, I felt scared and sad. Watching the buildings collapse on t.v. is burned into my memories. When I think about 9/11 now, I still feel the same way, the worry of another horrendous act scares me and the fact that someone would do that to innocent people is very sad.

• Melissa Brown

I think our generation will remember this day by continuing to make America better. We will show appreciation for our policemen and firemen. We will become the leaders we were meant to be and aid in better security and help to protect our country in other helpful ways. I was at work when I heard about 9-11 and I remember being confused and not really understanding what was going on. I didn’t comprehend the sorrow and utter devastation on everyone’s faces at the time. Now I think about it and I understand why it happened but I still don’t understand why they wanted to do it. I know tat this tragedy brought us together as Americans and that no matter what quarrels we might have had as individuals that day we came together as one country.

• Candace Baker

9/11 was probably the greatest tragedy of our time. I was ten years old when it happened. I remember I was in Texas visiting family and I woke up earlier than everyone else. I turned on the tv and saw the plane crash into the first tower. I remember being confused and my older siblings being very upset. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized how devastating this day really was. Thousands of people lost their lives and loved ones to this profound act of terrorism. I believe that 9/11 will never be forgotten, especially by those of us that lived through it. We will always remember the day the towers fell.

• Jillian smith

Although I was only seven years old, I remember this day distinctly. When I think back to what was rushing through my mind at the time of this disaster, I can remember that I was mostly confused, but I was also very scared. For the first time in my young life, all the adults around me, people whom i looked up to, were crying and in a state of panic. As I got older, I came to fully understand the devastation of 9/11, not only as an impact on our nation, but to the family’s and loved ones who had lost someone so special to them. I really enjoyed the way that UCO helped my peers and I commemorate this moment in time. I hope that my generation will continue to reach out and carry on these random acts of kindness, especially for this event, but mainly in their every day lives. After the flag planting ceremony by Broncho lake, I was proud to look around and see the peoples appreciation for a gesture so small.

• Kelcie Scarberry

When thinking about 9/11, I remember being young and completely shocked and confused. I think it was probably the first time I’d ever heard of something destructive and bad in the world. It absolutely changed the way I saw the world, but I still didn’t understand how something like that could happen. When I think about this day, i’m still confused. Even after growing up and learning about the details of how it happened and why- I still just can not understand it. I think about the many people who lost their lives and the families that were ripped apart because of such an evil act that will never make sense to me.
    I think our generation will continue to remember this day just like we continue to remember the OKC Murraugh Bombing and the Wars over seas- by honoring the survivors and remembering those who sacrificed their lives for our country. While I believe terrorism is something none of us will ever understand, I’m confident that we won’t ever forget those who fell victim to it eleven years ago.

• Jobie Burks

I remember September 11, 2001 like it was yesterday. I remember being in the second grade and my teachers attempting to tell my peers and myself what was occurring in a way that we could maybe understand, but I still do not think any of us really did. I remember my mom picking me up from school with the muffled sound of news radio playing in the car. We were both quiet and in a matter of minutes we were home and we remained glued to Fox News for the remainder of the day, trying to make sense of what had just happened earlier that morning. Then, I did not understand what was happening, but now, over ten years later, I think maybe I finally get it. I do not think my generation could ever forget this event. We were all so young, and even at an age of eight years old, I know my life was majorly impacted by this event. For my generation, it was the first major tragedy any of us had experienced. We did not have a choice on whether we wanted to understand what had happened or not. We had to understand, so we could move on and put this country back together. I remember writing letters to firemen and sending money through my church to the people of New York, and I knew I had to help, even if my aid was miniscule. Today, when I think of this event, I always get emotional. So many thoughts run through my mind about how lucky I am and how insane it is that a catastrophe like this could ever happen to “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” My generation could never forget this misfortune and we continue to declare remembrance for it by flying the colors of red, white and blue, by taking donuts and juice to firehouses across our city, and by singing the national anthem at every football game. We could never forget the imbeciles that failed in their attempt to rip our country apart, by only bringing us closer together.

• Katelyn Ledford

Looking back on September 11th, I remember my fourth grade class shuffling into the library to watch the news, and I didn’t fully understand what was going on. I was hearing words like “hijackers”, “terrorism” and “casualties”. As I gained knowledge of what had happened, I became even more confused. As an 8 year old girl, I just didn’t understand why anyone would do something so terrible to innocent people. To this day I still don’t get it. My heart aches for the lives lost and their loved ones who live on. I feel like it is this generation’s job to educate future generations about the attacks that happened on September 11th. The children that are in fourth grade now were not even alive yet. (Does that blow anyone else’s mind?) It is easier for us to understand why this day is significant because we lived it. It is important that they know of the injustice that took place as well as the heroism of those who attempted to save lives.

• Jaeton Cary

September 11, 2001 was a day of realization for my generation. We are very pevilaged in this country to not have a day to day worry about our safety. We don’t have to worry about car bombs or being gunned down in the street. That day in 2001 really shook our reality and hurt our confidence in our security. Osama Binladen became the ultimate bad guy, similar to how Adolf Hitler was to our grandparents generation. This can be seen in the celebrations that took place outside the White House when Osama Binladen was killed. Our generation will remember this day as a day that we were shown freedom isn’t guaranteed, and at times we must fight to defend it.

When I think of this day, I think of all the instentces where I saw Americans helping Americans. I remember seeing our country putting race, religion, and politics aside for the greater good. That is such a rare occurrence, I will remember it forever.

– Jaeton

• Justin Nida

I believe that 9/11 will always be heavy in the hearts of Americans, but more so with the older generations. On the Today’s Show a woman mentioned that she is reminded of the attack everytime she flies by the vacancy of where the buildings once were. There is no doubt that the event will have much greater impact on those who saw the destruction first hand, and those who lost friends, family and loved ones. But I think that our generation will continue to display deep patriotism in the way that we remember each year, the event of 9/11. When thinking of that day, I remember being very confused about what was happening. I could not fully grasp the significance of the situation but I could feel the power of emotions from the teachers and my family members. I didn’t know much about what was going on in the world, so after the attacks I sought out more information from my family and also in school where it was the topic of discussion for quite some time. 

• Molly Devine

I was a second grade student in Mrs. Bell’s class when the Twin Towers fell. I remember doing busy work while the teachers were huddled around a TV that my teacher kept in her classroom closet. I didn’t know what was going on, but I knew it must have been something very bad if the teachers were crying and calling their families. It wasn’t until I got home after school and watched in horror as the news kept the footage of the second tower being hit on replay that I felt the gravity of the situation. September 11th was the day my innocence to the evils of the world was shattered.
    Since my generation was young at the time of the attack, I feel that it will be a moment we remember for the rest of our lives. For most of us, it was the first traumatic event we ever witnessed. When I remember 9/11, I am overcome with grief for the families who lost loved ones in the attacks, but I am also filled with pride when I remember how our country came together to show the world our strength in trials.

• Bailey Hayes

9/11 was one of the most confusing days I’ve ever experienced. I remember sitting in my 4th grade class and having a completely normal day turning to chaos. Teachers were scrambling everywhere, everyone was going home, but no one would ever explain what was happening. Obviously, now I understand the extent of the situation. I think our generation will remember that day with a sense of helplessness. This day made the United States realize that we weren’t invincible.

• Brandon Ngo

9/11 is one of the most tragic events in United States history.

Nearly 3,000 people died as a result of the terrorist attacks. The United States, a nation that emphasizes the freedom of its people, fell victim to a force that had no concern for such values. On that fateful day the security of the entire country was threatened, creating fear and insecurity among its people. The effects of this disaster still linger as the United States continues to recover.

History has moved forward, but it is important that this day does not leave our memories. At one moment during that day, the nation’s sense of safety reached its lowest point. Thousands of people suffered as the rest of the country helplessly watched. During that trough, we felt scared, shocked, and confused.

However, the story did not end just then. Firefighters, paramedics, and other heroes responded to the attacks and rescued who they could, sometimes at the cost of their own lives. Their courage reminds us that during the darkest of hours, there must not be an abandonment of hope. To remain docile would be an insult to those who helped freedom to exist in our nation. It is imperative to remember the tragedies that occurred on that day, but it is just as crucial to maintain our strength and patriotism.

As we honor the dead, we cannot lose faith in the virtues that our nation stands for—what we, as Americans, stand for. Failing to do so would mean bending to the will of the perpetrators and acknowledging that our people have died for nothing.

(Jarrett, please remove my previous post in place of this one, thanks!)

• Haylee Hay

I think 9/11 will always be remembered and will continue to be remembered through out the rest of history. Our generations has been brought up to remember this day and the significant memories or emotions it brings Americans through all ages. Even though my generations were very young when it happened and quite did not understand it at first we all saw how it effected our elders. When i think of this day in history the first thing i think of is my sisters birthday. I remember on 9/11 going out to eat for her birthday and every tv was filled with news about what happened on that day. Now every year on 9/11 i take time to remember but for my sisters sake i also help her have a good birthday even tho that day is a day to remember and mourner.

• Jessica Nguyen

I think my generation will continue to remember this day like we did ourselves-honoring the lives lost on September 11, and appreciating the servicemen and women of our country. I remember seeing the horrific attack on TV and feeling numbed by disbelief. A few days later, I received a tiny packet in the mail that contained 3 marbles and a prayer card. The marbles stood for faith, hope, and love. Through hardship, we can come together as one and comfort each other. I think that this gives evidence of our unity as a nation. Even though we are considered a melting pot, we are all humans in the end. Brian Andreas makes this point excellently when he wrote, “What colors are souls? she said & I said, Color isn’t that much of an issue when you’re talking souls”.

• Nicki Perry

I feel like our generation was one that was almost too young to understand this day. However, I believe that we were old enough to know it was something serious. On this day, I know we all felt the impact but we did not know what fully happened. In my experience, my parents explained it to me and my sisters. My older sisters were really scared, but I was only 7 and I truly did not know what to feel; I just knew it made my parents feel nervous. My family and I were living overseas at the time of 9/11. Living away from our “home” in the United States added tremendously to our anxiety of this act of war. However, this day is forever marked in my brain as a confusing, scary and anxiety filled day. I know that my fellow second graders here in the U.S. were just as scared. On this day, no matter what part of the country you are in, everyone, old and young, stops to say a quick prayer and remember the ones who did not make it out on that day and the soldiers that are dying while fighting for our freedom.

• Logan Bidack

No matter how many years pass, 9/11 doesn’t get any easier. Our generation will remember this day respectfully and humbly through various methods. Young Americans will team together, forgetting their differences and sacrificing their time to honor those that were lost and their families. Not only do the victims need remembering, but the heroes do as well. Our generation will continue to educate the world about the effects of terrorism to help prevent any in the future.
    I have vivid thoughts of doom when thinking of this horrific day in history. I remember coming in from second grade recess and my teacher turning off the TV. He was watching the news footage with tears in his eyes. Mr. Williams knew that we kids should have the crisis explained delicately and honestly, so he let our parents tell us in the way that they saw fit. Even though my parents did a their best to explain what happened, it wasn’t until middle school that I could fully understand the severity of the attack. 
    Now, the day remains to be one of the hardest days for all Americans, but together we can improve the future through awareness, prevention, and hope. 

• Caylee Cooter

When I think of 9/11, I am automatically taken back to the exact moment of where I was during that time. I was so young, yet I still realized at that moment that something huge had happened. I think that day change the United States as a whole. We will always look back at that day as a tragic loss of innocent lives, but I also think the country really pulled together to help. I think many different Americans found common ground in that what happened on 9/11 will always be remembered.

• Ashton Pittman

I think my generation will always remember this day because even though we were pretty young at the time, it has been instilled in us from our parents and other mentors. We will always pay homage to that day and be thankful for the ones who gave their lives that day to help. The thoughts I have are of just complete and utter remorse. I can’t even begin to imagine what it was like to be there and witness that. It is something that humbles me beyond words. Being that my mother and two uncles are in the military and have all served in the middle east for our country, I’m thankful for them and I’m more attentive to our country’s soldiers and what they do for our freedom and safety.

• Michael Southerland

My generation will continue to remember 9/11 by honoring and remembering those who tragically left us way too early. One of my professor’s made the point that many financial experts left us that day, and their experience was unable to be passed on. One look at what has happened to many people’s investments and our financial system recently would seem to confirm that.

People in my generation seem to take this day in a fairly somber mood. This is understandable as a big part of the victims’ were from our generation. Add to that some were family and friends of people in my generation, and it is easy to understand why this day brings about such somber moments.

The feeling of there was nothing, as individuals, we could do about it, leaves an empty feeling inside one. The best way I found to harness my feelings and show respect to those victims’ was after planting my flags on 9/11, I spent about another hour going back and unraveling many of the flags that were still rolled up freeing their spirit to fly in the wind.

• Elizabeth Jordan Nichols

I remember seeing the twin towers crumble in my second grade classroom. I was too young to understand what was going on at the time, but I knew that it had to be bad because my teacher was staring at the television crying and praying. I feel that the majority of my generation shared a similar experience. Each and every one of us watched as the dominant role models in our life mourned those who were lost. Back then I had never seen an adult cry or show that kind of fear and pain. I always believed that grown ups were invincible. However, that day showed me otherwise and feel that it did the same for our country. Until that day many believed America to be invincible. No one could have foreseen such a devastating event. 9/11 opened our eyes to the evils of our world. We learned that day that bad things could happen to our country. However, we also learned that this country is filled with some remarkable heros. In the face of danger firefighters, policemen, hospital workers, fellow citizens, etc grasped hands to make a statement. The people of our country stood together. I think about all of the heroes that day along with all the people who lost there lives. The people of this nation care about one another. When tragedy strikes we mourn as one, and we grow as one. We will ever forget.

• Brittany Robinson

I am very passionate about patriotism and the history of our nation, and I pray that my generation and the generations to come will never forget September 11th. I was so happy to get the chance to be a part of the project this week, it hit close to home considering my brother-in-law is a Tulsa firefighter and I see all that he goes through. I am pleased to see that several of my peers are also passionate about our country and are sincerely proud to be American. Dates like 9/11 and Veteran’s Day should always be recognized and I honestly believe they will. Our society has done a really good job of making the days special with parades and ceremonies.
    On September 11th, 2001 I was getting ready for school when the first tower was hit. I remember my mom screaming and I ran into the living room to see the tragedy on television. I went to school and in every classroom televisions were brought in so we could witness the historic event. At the time the severity of the crisis had not sunk in. Only now when I think about it, and picture myself in the shoes of the people there I feel the impact. I consider the fear those in the building had when they cherished their last few minutes. I think about the helplessness the bystanders felt, and I ponder what it would be like to know your life was about to end. When I think of that day I am thankful that we have a country that fights back and demands justice. I feel so blessed to be part of a nation that takes a punch and then fights right back.

• This day will never become forgotten, or just a thing in the past. 9.11 was such a tragedy and left such an impact. As families grow and people only hear about this as a story, it will be harder to keep the impact and rememberance alive. It is our job, as leaders, to be ever so sympathetic for the families and people who suffered what happened that day. Our parents and teachers have put great emphasis on this day every year it comes. We have lived through this and grown to understand why this occurred and how to cope with it. Our generation has learned to take to heart this day and never forget it. We will continue to put emphasis on 9.11 in our lives ahead and take the time to participate in remembrance events and be so thoughtful for the affected. The thoughts that go through my mind are that of the innocent lives lost. I cannot even begin to fathom the feelings of the families and friends of loved ones who died this day. As we grow into leaders in our communities, families, work places, churches, etc. I hope we will never forget this day and hold it close to our hearts and take the time to remember it because it was a huge, tragic event that has shaped our nation today.

• Looking back at the day, I remember the intercom coming on and addressing what had happened. Only being in second grade, I hadn’t fully grasped the situation until I saw the news. I personally think as we move further and further away from that day we continue to support the lives lost as well as their families. We need to continue this and show support for our country. Freedom ain’t really free.

• Rebekah Fisher

This generation will never forget what happened that day. September 11 will not be forgotten especially by Oklahomans because of our connection due to our own experiences with the Murrah bombing. This generation was young when 9/11 occurred. At the time, many of us did not fully understand the magnitude of what happened. As the years have gone on, we have begun to grasp what truly occurred that day, leading our nation to the place we are in today. I believe this generation will remember by uniting on this day to remember those lost and those still fighting for our continued freedom. When thinking of this day, I personally feel a loss for those families that lost loved ones. I think of them and pray for their families and those fighting for freedom all over the world right now.

• Nora Garcia

Although my generation was really young when 9/11 happened I think that we all still felt the same way many adults at that time felt. We were confused and scared. Because we were young we couldn’t comprehend how big of an impact that had in our nation as a whole. Most of us can remember seeing people crying and watching the images that no one will forget over and over again. Most of our teachers and parents in a way tried to protect us from it by not talking about it near us, but we still knew about it. I feel like my generation is one of the youngest ones that understood what was going on.

• Caleb Grinnell

September 11th 2001 is a day that changed the lives of every American and many others around the world forever. Being only 9 years old when the twin towers fell I wasn’t fully aware of what actually happened. My grandma lived in pennsylvania and we were visiting in september because i was homeschooled. The only thing i really remember from that was watching tv and the latebreaking news came on.I knew it was bad and by the looks from my dad, the conversations, and panic in their voices. I knew this meant more than just innocent victims dieting in a tragic accident. It was the beginning to much more than that. This month my dad returned home from a job with the military overseas on September the 10th. Many families have given loved ones to go fight a war that 9/11 started. My generation may not have known at the time what was going on but as we have grown older we are the generation that’s living through the aftermath and are protecting the country today. 9/11 will never be forgotten.

• Taylor Haines

Most of my generation remembers being at school on 9/11, as do I. I was in second grade when it happened, and remember coming home after school and immediately turning the news on. It was a scary atmosphere, even though I didn’t quite know what was going on. When my parents had terrified looks on their face, I knew it was bad. When I think back to this day now I have feelings of sadness and despair. I think of all the tragedy and hard times so many people had to go through. The families that lost loved ones are in my prayers on this day. 

• Josh Jarrett

I really had a great experience with the 9/11 service project, bringing the fire fighters breakfast was one of the most gratifying experiences I’ve ever had, they were so appreciative and we got the chance to have a talk about the things they do, it was a lot of fun!!

• McKenzie Hodge

When thinking of this day in history, I remember exactly where I was. I was in my second grade class, when my teacher received a phone call, and immediately started asking many questions. Of course at such a young age, none of us knew what the “Twin Towers” were exactly. My teacher kept her composure the rest of the day, but I knew something tragic had happened. Returning home, the news footage, pictures, and stats were overwhelming. It took me growing older to realize the severity of what happened. I know that even though my generation was very young when this tragedy happened, we will always remember those who lost and gave their lives. We will always remember the impact that day had on our Nation. A moment of silence will always be taken on the Anniversary of 9/11, and we will never forget. Remembering this day I always feel sorrow and grief for those that lost loved ones, who never got to say their last goodbyes, and who selflessly gave their lives, trying to rescue those trapped inside. I personally can’t imagine being in any of these positions. I have the deepest respect and sympathy for everyone who was affected by 9/11.

• Rylee Flowers

9/11 is a day that will always be remembered and held dear to every American’s heart. This tragic day put the world around us in a state of shock and complete chaos, but also taught many lessons. One, it showed American’s how incredibly blessed we our to live in this beautiful country and know what freedom is. And two, we were able to see the support and love that people show for their country when disaster strikes. Our generation and generations to come will continue to stop and show respect for this historic day. 9/11 has left a print on America and will forever impact this country. When I think about 9/11 it’s hard for me to come to terms with the tragedies that happened that September day. I find it hard to understand how any individual could be so cruel to plot an attack and to actually go through with it. Through this tragedy I was still amazed by the comfort of our country. We wrapped our arms around those who were grieving, we gathered together and were strong in a state of emergency. Through this all I see how blessed I am to live in this beautiful country.

• McKenzie Belcher

We were all very young when this tragedy occurred. Honestly, I don’t recall where I was or what I was doing when the news of this event was reported to every radio and news station across the nation. That night, though, I could see in my parents’ faces that something was not the same. I was told of what had happened that day. Being so young, I did not fully understand the magnitude of the events. However, I have seen over the years how much of an impact this occurrence has made on this nation. It is something we will never forget because although this event was incredibly tragic, it easily showed how a nation can rise from the ashes and become stronger. We anchor on this event to show what changes it has made on the country as a whole and my generation.
    As we planted the flags on this day of remembrance on Broncho Lake, I felt honored to be apart of such a heart felt ceremony. I know that we continue to mourn the losses that occurred that day, but that day is now uniting all Americans.

• Mackenzie Prescott

I feel that our generation will always be affected by the tragedy of 911. Our generation has never had a national crisis during our life time so our world was completely shifted into a time period of grief that we never had experienced before. You can’t just forget that! I hope that we never forget because as sad as the losses and terrible acts were, we need to remember the camaraderie and how our whole country came together. Race, income, background, none of that mattered. We all came together as one to help out. As leaders we need to have in us all the time. We need to constantly be looking for those opportunities to reach out!

I felt actually a feeling of happiness. It was sad to remember the loss but I had a satisfying feeling thinking of how far we have come!! Our country has built up a strong defense and has more pride and love for our country than ever before and I felt a sense of family looking out over Broncho lake and all the flags we planted together. I loved sharing that with my LOT family, a beautiful moment!

-Mackenzie Prescott

• Ellen Boarman

I feel that our generation will continue to remember the tragedy of 9/11 through the continued remembrance ceremonies, conducted through those older than us, to whom the day is more clear; that by growing up with what memories we retain from that day and the ceremonies we partake in, as continuous years pass 9/11 has and will become not only a day of remembrance, but a celebration of life, American pride, and perserverence.
    When I look back on 9/11 my thoughts are immediately directed towards the lives lost, to the grief felt, and sheer terror of an entire nation. And although it came about in a horrid and unecessary way, greater appreciation for our nation.

• Erin Schuljak

Twelve years later, many people still remember clearly the unfolding of the horrible events of September 11th, 2001. However, people who were far from the scene or who were very young at the time may not know very many details about the terrorist attacks at all. Most of our class was only in the second grade whenever this happened, but we can still remember the impact it had on the world. I think our generation will continue to remember September 11th with memorials, much like the one UCO conducted. We can take this day to thank our fire fighters and military, and those who have given their lives for our country. When I think of this day, I feel sadness and astonishment as to how anything like this could have ever happened.

• Elle Aston

I feel that my generation will make sure this day is never forgotten. We will teach our children about the significance of 9/11 because we experienced this tradegy as a child. I always remember where I was and exactly what I was doing when 9/11 occurred. I recall the emotions of my teachers and my parents. I also remember there was no escaping it, it was everywhere you turned. On the anniversary of 9/11, I find myself shocked that it has been another year. It seems like only yesterday but this is because my memories of this tragic day are so vivid!

• Logan Hoover

September 11,2001 will be a day I, along with thousands of other Americans will never forget. I was in elementary, sitting in class and the principal came in and started talking to the teacher and then someone brought a tv in on a cart and turned it on. The images we saw were unforgettable. I had never seen anything like that and no way will I ever forget that.
    That’s the way it was for thousands of kids my age; We went to school like any other day and came home with a memory that will never be forgotten. But thousands of others remember that day quite different. They had kissed their loved ones goodbye and then never saw them again. No matter who you are, if you were alive September 11, 2001, you will always remember the day that terrorism came to the United States and changed our lives forever.

• Larry wells

I remember exactly where I was at the time
    Of the attacks on the twin towers. I was at my elementary school in line for a bathroom
    Break when I saw on tv what exactly was going on. Of course I was younger so I didn’t really understand fully what was happening but I could tell by the teachers an staff’s reaction that it was something major occruring and I was in the mist of it all. There’s no doubt that America will forever be scarred by the attacks that day but many Americans will have deeply routed scars because it was there family and close friends that were involved in the memorable day first hand. The thoughts that run through my mind when I think about that day is hurt, and sympathy for those that were involved and sorrow for there families and friends

• Samantha Perry

September 11 will never be forgotten. That day in history marked a world of turning events. The day our war on the middle east began, and our lives will never be the same. The flags out on Campus on 9/11 was nothing like I have ever seen before. Each and every person on campus that saw those flags that day took a flash back in time. Those flags made people notice and remember that day. 9/11 shall never be forgotten in our history. Young people of the world, even if they were yet to be born feel a full understanding because of things such as this. It is so important that we reflect and remember as Americans all who fell that day, and all the leaders who stepped up and saved a life.

• Janelle Archer

I firmly believe that my generation will always be affected by 9/11. Although most of us were very young when it happened, we still saw the horrified looks on our parents faces as they watched the news that day only to see a building tumbling down due to a horrible act of terrorism. I was only in the second grade, I still understood the gravity of the situation and was very afraid. 9/11 will always be remembered by that sadness and that fear. However, it will also be remembered for some positive things, if you can believe that. I think 9/11 will also be remembered for our unity as a country, because we all came together to rise out of the darkness and the evil of that day. The support for others was overwhelming, and it truly showed why America truly is a great country. For the good and the bad, 9/11 will always have an effect on our generation, and future generations to come. By always showing our pride for our country, while still mourning the lost, the effects of 9/11 will last forever.

• Ryan Murphy

I really endjoyed the 9/11 service project. I thought that it was a great way to show our support for the families who lost loved ones and the men and women who stepped up and helped rescue trapped survivors. Personaly I feel that Americans should not live in fear of terrorism. When we do, they win. If our nation continues to portray ourselves as a city on a hill, there are gonna be haters. Lets just make sure we are not doing the hating, or retaliating. Thats just childish.

• When I was in elementary school, walking in with my mom, I remember the great deal of commotion going on between teachers and faculty everywhere. I saw on the TV screen 2 large buildings collapse. At that time in my life I didn’t understand, I was too young to realize the impact it had on our world. Now, as a college student, I am aware. I truly believe that because it was my generation who saw the change in the world, it will be my generation who remembers. The moment of silence will continue in schools across the world, and the teachings will become more in depth. This will become a vital part of our world history meaning it will be in all of the textbooks. When I reflect upon what happened, and when I visited the site in NYC last winter, It made me value our time. We are not invincible and this is the perfect example of why.

• Zach Southard

These two questions are more intricate than most individuals would realize. So I’m going to answer them from three vantage points.

Emotionally:
    9/11 created an immeasurable transformation in the American mindset. To my generation, our adolescent views of a carefree and harmless world were forever shattered. Most Americans, let alone our generation, remember it clearly as if it had happened just last year. Americans stood hand-in-hand and started our long road to recovery the very next day. Each generation has had at least one dominant event. Our parent’s event was Neil Armstrong on the moon for example. Ours, without a doubt, is 9/11.

Racially:
    It is safe to say that America was born as an immigrant country and is still to this day a country of immigrants.This includes a minority of Middle Easterners. Some Americans forget that we have had several contentious issues with several Middle Eastern countries in the recent past.To name a few, Israel post-WWII, Desert Storm in 1993, and now the longest lasting war in American history. I strongly feel that my generation will unfortunately and embarrassingly be forever cursed with a small voice in the back of our heads blaming Middle Easterners for what occurred.

Politically:
    Effectively after 9/11, the U.S. entered a 10 year war. My generation had little say or vote in the politics of the time which decided to go to war and the politics which decided to take us out of the war. In essence, the real aftermath of 9/11 was over before we could legally have any say. Now the latter is no longer true. During the last decade, my generation has been watching and learning from the previous generation’s political methods. It is unclear to me how my generation will act politically in its lifetime, but hopefully our ultimate goal will be to pacify Middle Eastern tensions instead of escalating them.

• Victoria Atkinson

I feel so many emotions on this specific day in history. I still can’t even believe that something like this has happened in my lifetime. I feel like my generation will hold this day as special and a very important day for the rest of our lives and hopefully in the lives of the generations that come after us. I think that this day will be held as a day that all Americans will hold as a day of commemerence, loyalty, compassion, and honor for our country. I say these things because these are what I think of on that day and even when that day comes across my mind. This day, will be forever important in my life and I pray and hope that it will forever be important to the hearts of Americans now, and later.

• Menglin Kong

I did enjoy this special event!By planting those flags, I had a better understanding of the 9•11 event in 2001. I think we should try our best to fight againt those terrorists.