President Betz’s Presentation

In class Dr. Betz mentioned that UCO is developing a culture of learning, leading and serving. How do you begin to develop each of these practices individually? What are daily, weekly and monthly decisions that you can make to intergrate these in your life successfully?

• John Maloy

I think that one has to start each day off with thinking about what it really takes to be his or her particular type of leader. As Dr. Betz said it’s not always about being in the front line leading a group of people to some destination, but sometimes it’s being in-line to help on a particular course of action. Which I believe that Dr. Betz said, that sometimes to be a good leader you have to learn from a good leader which means being a good listener and a dedicated follower. For me personally I think that these decisions that you make when you wake up everyday, thinking about what it takes to be a particular kind of leader, accumulate over time. I think a daily goal for me is to wake up and understand what role I’m to play whether it be in the lead or taking direction from someone else. My weekly goals are to accomplishment as much as I can in the time I’m allotted and take care of my studies and my personal home duties. I believe working on these things will help me accomplish my monthly goals, which are not to fall behind in school and set an example to those that might look up to me. I believe all of those things contribute to a culture of learning UCO.

• Kaylee Speer

All three of these characteristics are extremely important in order to become successful. Developing skills in learning, leading, and serving do not become apparent over night. You must work diligently everyday striving to become better in each of these areas. To begin developing these skills, you must step out of your comfort zone and be willing to take risks in order to be confident and grow in these areas. You must constantly continue to be persistent and make decisions that will further your abilities. Such decisions include putting forth your best effort in everything you do, stepping out of your comfort zone, and to make sure I’m being trustworthy in every area of my life.

• Ryan Murphy

Dr. Betz mentioned that the goal of UCO is to creat a culture of learning, leading, and serving. I believe some practical short term goals should be to take time to serve other as a daily practice. I.e. if you see someone carrying 5 instruments(happened today) offer to help. You could do simple things such as open doors, stand up for others, talk to someone sitting alone, or simply put yourself out there to make someone feel welcomed. For long term goals you need to get involved! Find a program or organization were you share interest or were you could make an impact and have at it. Get to know others. Teach them something, and in return listen and learn from them.

• Leah Lopez

I absolutely agree with Ryan Murphy, rather as goals though I see them as behaviors. For some, those behaviors will be easy to integrate into our daily life and others as a long term practice behavior of improvement. I know many of us though have those three characteristic behaviors naturally, but we can always improve our selves. As a leader your idea of them (the goal characteristics) is either growing, evolving, or changing completely, or can be all of those simultaneously. All in all the most important thing about keeping this culture growing is not losing the purpose of why we want this culture. When we realize it and understand it completely to a point your behaviors and practice will be fully successful.

• Meredith Tassey

To develop a culture of learning different learning styles must be addressed and accommodated. If learning is accessible and understandable then the culture will create itself. For leading, it is easiest, in my opinion, to lead by example. I think our President has done a great job of providing us with an example of what a leader should be aspiring to. To be a great leader serving under a great leader first helps. Seeing how systems work before heading a system allow you to see the faults or strengths of a system to better improve it.
    For learning, I believe to integrate this into my life I should ask questions when I do not understand something or put something into my own words and look something up in other resources to improve my understanding. For leading, I believe I should provide an example to my peers of how I believe a leader should act. Part of how I believe a leader should act is by service. I do not believe a leader should be handing out work but participating and showing others how to help.

• Jillian smith

A leader is not defined by any standard; there are multi-facets to leadership, meaning every person has the ability to lead in their own way. Developing these characteristics that Dr. Betz refers to is pivotal for our university, because it encourages the entire community  to participate and take on a leadership role. We as leaders have to continue to learn so that we may grow in our leadership capacity, and so that the community as a whole may leave a legacy for those after us to continue. In my opinion, a person must learn to serve before they can become a true leader, but a true leader is a person that will continue to serve.The practice of serving is one of the greatest aspects in building a community, or even a nation, by bringing everyone together to accomplish a common objective. We can implement these values daily by taking on challenges, giving our best effort, getting others involved, and practicing them daily so that we may continue to grow ourselves.

• Brandon Ngo

Learning, leading, and serving…

Well, since those three practices are connected in many ways, I think it would be ideal to concentrate on doing benevolent deeds. That sounds simple, but these actions are what defines one’s character and makes a better and more wholesome person. One cannot lead without learning and serving, and so on. Mastering these practices means mastering our own overall character.

Going out and performing class acts for the sole purpose of developing these practices would be interesting, but it all comes down to having the right mindset for these tasks and acting on it. Is the true goal to look good in front of other people, or to demonstrate altruistic principles that ultimately intend to benefit them? If you rightfully chose the latter, then you already know that our psyche is the key factor in catalyzing these actions.

Sure, we all can have the best personality on the inside and daydream about the wonderful things we could do, but what good could possibly come out of that? What truly matters is acting on those thoughts and taking the initiative to improve on this culture of learning, leading, and serving. Good deeds cannot exist without good character, and vice versa. The phrase, “It’s the thought that counts” is only true when something is actually done out of that thought.

Of course, the bountiful tasks we perform don’t always have to be big. They could range from starting a fundraiser for a medical patient in need of a cure to something as insignificant as picking up a fallen pencil for a classmate.

Realistically, we can’t do the biggest things all the time; there has to be a balance. Here, let me give you an example:

1. Tomorrow, compliment five random people. For the next day, compliment more than five. For each subsequent day, try to compliment more people than the previous one.

2. Once a week, write a letter of gratitude to a special person who helped and inspired you for that week. In that letter, include an encouragement for that person to do the same for another.

3. Every month, spend some quality time with someone who is desperately in need of support, whether it’s a hospice patient or a neglected child. Keep in touch afterwards and build on those relationships.

As you could imagine, there are billions of other examples that can develop these practices just as well. Every day is packed full of choices, but it’s up to the individual to ensure that they’re the right ones. If people devoted themselves to these ideals, they’d be ridiculously successful with learning, leading, and serving.

And maybe that’s the point; anyone can do these things.

It’s only the matter of being willing to.

• To build the culture of learning, leading, and serving, it all starts with our daily choices. I think it also coincides with the three C’s that President Betz described. “Character, Civility, and Community.” For me, learning and character go hand in hand because it takes a good character to have a desire to learn and to become the best that they can at what they choose do to. Leading pairs well with civility because to be a strong leader you must do good for those around you in order for them to follow you. Once civility is established, a positive culture is already in the making. And finally, to build a culture of serving, you must be involved with your community and the outside world. Just ask yourself, “what do I bring to the table?” and you will soon begin to realize how simple daily acts such as doing the right thing even when no one is watching and taking the extra step to help someone or by sacrificing an hour of your time for volunteer work will begin to build the desired culture.

• Kelcie Scarberry

To develop the culture of learning, leading, and serving that Dr. Betz mentioned, I believe we have to consciously make decisions that positively impact others everyday. By serving others to help them reach their goals, we’re leading others around us to do the same. I believe Servant leadership is an act that we have to practice until it becomes completely involuntary. Helping someone with their homework or smiling and opening a door really makes an impact on a person’s day. By showing compassion and kindness, we serve others by leading them to do the same. All the while we practice servant leadership, we have to learn about our campus, the world, and the people around us. There’s always more to learn and there’s always someone who has something to teach us. Throughout my time at UCO and the rest of my life, I hope to learn as much as I can everyday and strive to be a conscious, compassionate leader by serving others.

• Josh Jarrett

UCO isn’t developing a culture of learning, leading and serving; it is maintaining that culture. The simplest way I can think of to develop these practices is by seizing every opportunity without spreading yourself too thin. There is such a thing as the law of diminishing returns; however, most people don’t even come close to it before they think they have done too much. Learning is as simple as making the choice to go to class, be engaged in the lecture and the assignments as well as taking time to study at home. Serving is quite possibly the easiest thing you can do, it doesn’t have to be huge, it just has to make a difference in someone’s life whether they know it or not. Whether it is going to the VSLC and volunteering to help at the food bank or opening the door for someone, it is all serving and it is all important. There are countless opportunities on campus foster your leadership abilities, first and foremost would be to join an organization, learn the ropes, and then become a part of the executive team. If you don’t want to be an executive that doesn’t mean you can’t lead, you will just be doing it differently; you will lead by example or by serving.

• Jake Phillips

After listening to President Betz’s speech I felt this urge to go out and use my leadership oppurtunity to its fullest. He spoke about how we are the leaders of the school and that we’re held to a high standard and to me that is really something special. When he told us the story of Old North and the men who built it I was very impressed. These men decided to build a “cathedral” for higher education and not knowing anything about the impact this building would have on this area for the years to come.

• Morgan Podany

Dr. Betz’s presentation really set the mood for this year. Not even the year, my whole college career. It was a leadership pep rally for me. It truly got me excited for the upcoming year and the years to come. One thing Dr. Betz said that conjured my mind to think was his comment about selfishness. He said this is all about you. It is true. I believe that a person only gets out what they invest in an experience. The main factor is the attitude. It may be cliché, but such a valid statement. A main factor Dr. Betz mentioned in his presentation was the importance of the diversity of the group. He used the world fullness to describe what could happen when people decide to step out of their comfort zone and work with people that may not be exactly like you. That is what makes groups so successful is the difference in the people. Also I didn’t really put much thought into the “three C’s”. In the lecture, I got a better idea and understood it much better. Leadership starts with who you are, how you treat the people immediately around you, and how you lead a whole group.

• Erin Schuljak

Developing a culture of learning, leading and serving starts with education. Education gives us the perspective to become better leaders and to better serve our communities. By educating ourselves, we learn how to successfully lead others. We develop better communication skills and logical thinking to help communicate and execute our leadership goals. Leading allows us to better serve our communities. Daily, we can make the effort to attend all of our classes and do the necessary homework required. Weekly, we can set goals to accomplish by the end of the week, like volunteering for a certain number of hours. Monthly, we can also set bigger goals to accomplish, for example a service project to give back to the community. Integrating these skills into our daily lives will help us to become effective leaders.

• Elle Aston

I believe that UCO will always be developing a culture of learning, leading, and serving. These three aspects of culture are always evolving to meet the needs of people. I also believe that these three aspects build on each other.  In order to learn, you must make a conscious daily effort to watch, note, and listen. In order to lead, you must learn about yourself. You must learn your strengths, weaknesses, and how you can best help others. In order to serve, you must lead where your services are needed. Conquering these three aspects can take days, weeks, or months. The process you take to conquer is as important as the ability to conquer! 

• Brittany Robinson

As Dr. Betz stressed we have to continue to cultivate ourselves. I was interested in his words, “this pathway to leadership is selfish, but I mean that in all the right ways, because the ultimate person benefiting is you.” I had never thought about leadership in that light but it holds a lot of truth. In order to improve our skills we have to focus on ourselves by finding our weaknesses and strengths in learning and in leading. I think it is important to take time alone and figure out where we excel, and then using that to serve others. On the other hand, we also have to determine where we need to improve. When we are honest with ourselves and know what we need to fix we can then set individual goals and work at them daily, weekly, monthly, etc. Simple goals I think everyone can be constantly working on are listening more than talking; keeping an open mind, and using the opportunities we are given instead of letting them pass by. We are all in this incredible position to learn, lead, and serve and it is just the kind of opportunity I am talking about taking advantage of. Serving is leading, and leading is learning so starting with serving is always a good idea!

• Carlee Carpenter

In my opinion, integrating learning, leading, and serving into my individual life takes a great amount of self-discipline. Daily, we must each have the self-discipline and perseverance to go to class everyday, pursue intellectual growth, make time to study, and apply what we are learning to our individual lives. In order to implement leadership into our lives, I believe we must each be a servant first. A leader can be someone behind the scenes, who does not always receive credit for the work they have done. A leader can also be someone who holds an executive position in an organization on campus. Either way, I think that it is crucial for us to each get involved in something we love because then we will be impelled to lead and build relationships throughout that group. Service is a quality that I believe can never fully be reached. Whether it is through random acts of kindness each day, investing time and money into someone’s life, or just letting someone know that they are cared and loved for, we can each be a servant through every thing that we do. Lastly, in order to fully pursue each of these, I believe that we must individually look at ourselves to make sure that we are not spreading ourselves too thin. To be a purposeful learner, leader, and servant, we must invest ourselves and pursue depth in the specific things that we have chosen to do. In my opinion, these three qualities can never fully be reached, meaning that we should always be pursuing learning, leading, and serving.

• Samantha Perry

Not only UCO, but the world is a mecca for developing leadership, learning and serving. At UCO there is a knack for going above and beyond in all these three things. Each day on campus I see leaders everywhere. Some do not even know it, and others are chomping at the bit to lead the way. Developing each of these practices daily is a task one must be committed to doing with all their heart. At UCO, we learn something new everyday (hopefully). By attending we are serving our university for a greater purpose. Our actions are being watched each day by not only our colleagues but our superiors. Each day we can help out a friend, or stranger in need. Each week we can act upon an act of kindness. Each month we can make an effort to get involved in something new and spread our roots. Each of us strive to shed a light on campus each day.

• Leslie Smith

President Betz’s presentation was both powerful and inspiring. I believe that UCO is ranked so highly among other schools in the nation because of our “Broncho culture.” The Three C’s Dr. Betz spoke about were so accurate in describing UCO and the future of UCO as we move forward. As Dr. Betz mentioned, character pivots on integrity. For me personally , I plan to strengthen my character by continually striving for integrity in every part of my daily life. Whether I tell our grounds keepers thank you, or pick trash up off the floor, or choose to do the right thing during a difficult decision, I will never stop showing integrity. I plan to help develop the culture of UCO by showing civility in my life and encouraging it in others. I agree with President Betz, that civility creates culture. I will show civility and respect to every person I meet. I feel if at the end of the week I can look back and feel confident that I showed civility to everyone I came in contact with, my week had been a success. Lastly, community… one of the most vital components of a happy and successful college experience. My goal is that by the end of the month, I will have formed relationships with all kinds of people. I hope to make a difference in UCO’s culture by being a positive influence in every aspect of my life. UCO is a fun and flourishing campus, it is a privilege to be a part of this evolving culture of learning, leading and serving.

• Logan Bidack

Creating a culture of learning, leading, and serving begins with the individual. As Dr. Betz stated, “You have to cultivate you. How can you change others’ lives if yours’ isn’t being changed?” A hunger to learn is what makes a leader successful. Learning doesn’t stop in the classroom, but rather it flourishes when you learn about yourself (your strengths and weaknesses) and it blossoms in the relationships you build. When the focus is on others, appreciation for diversity is developed within you. Challenge yourself daily to learn something new about every person you encounter. Whether their characteristics are implicit one that you carefully observe or something that they boldly express, theses traits matter. In the end, all of our tasks are measured by what WE did together, so it is important to take notice and learn from your peers. It is crucial to examine your life on a weekly and monthly basis, Make sure that you are self-improving and that you are always making a conscious effort to use your life to better someone else’s through your service.

• Jernye Werth

One thing President Betz said that really resonated with me was, “Leadership begins with cultivating yourself before you can affect anyone else.” This means that to be a leader I must first check myself and make sure that I am “walking the talk” of leadership.
    How do I cultivate learning, leading, and serving in my life? Daily decisions that I make that enhance my leadship abilities are seemingly little things like going to class, being invovled in campus activities, being a friend to my peers, and learning from everyday experiences and using them to shape my future. Weekly and monthly decisions are much of the same, just on a long-term scale. Other weekly and monthly decisions that shape my leadership abilities are doing service projects, like our 9/11 project as well as our group service projects we have been discussing on Thursdays. Serving is such an important aspect of leadership, because it allows us to change roles and instead of being “in charge” we must work with others to achieve a common goal. Serving may very well be the most important part of leadership, because if we didn’t serve others and show them our adaptablilty and willingness to help, why would they want to follow us at all or strive to be “leaders” themselves? People aren’t going to want to follow someone unless they see something inside that shines through to the outside and draws them in. That is my goal as a leader, to not even have to vocalize my thoughts and feelings to gain followers, but lead solely by example and let my actions speak for themselves. In order to do that I must lead by setting a good example, learn from my mistakes when I slip up – because I WILL slip up – and serve others whenever I possibly can.

• Blaire Blevins

All three of this characteristics that Dr. Betz mention in his speech are very important for you become successful. You will not develop these characteristics in a day but eventful you will be able to relate to learning, leading and serving in you everyday life. It does take time and practice but that is the process of becoming a good leader. I think integrating leading, learning and serving into your everyday decisions will make you be more aware of how the decisions you make will affect not only you but your surrounding as well.
    Daily, you can be self-disciplined of attending your classes everyday, make time to your studies, staying organized and on top of all your assignments of when they are due It will pay off in end if you can stick with it and not give up.Weekly, do random acts of kindness for people you don’t not know or write a note to someone that has impacted or encouraged you do something you thought you could not accomplish.
    Every month, you can take time out of your schedule to go volunteer for a non profit organization or any places that are in need of volunteers. This is a way for you to get involved in your community and help those who are in need. This is a great way to step out of your comfort zone and try something you would never think of doing. By developing this characteristics it can help me become the person/leader that I was meant to be.

• Brittni Blevins

When Dr. Betz was making his presentation, his main focused was on how UCO wants to create the culture of leading, learning, and serving. Which I think are very important, because these characteristics can help you succeed in your life, as well as making a difference that can help people forever. These skills will take time and practice, so do not be in a hurry to get them all done at one time. You will eventually be able to relate characteristics into your everyday life. There are different ways that you can intergrate into your life to be successful. I will talk about how to do it daily, weekly, and monthly. I think this a good idea to write about,because you can keep this blog, hang it up somewhere so it can be a reminder to you to make sure these goals get accomplish when you said they would.
    For a daily decision that you could do is making sure you stay organized with your classes, any organizations you are involved in, or any jobs you may have. A good way for this to work is by getting a planner or calendar to write down everything from homework assignment, to your job schedule, to any meetings or events that you may have with your organizations. This way you will not feel overwhelmed with everything plus allows you to know when are free to do other things.
    For a weekly decision that you could do is a random act of kindness for someone to show them you are thinking about them or wanting to do nice gesture for them.
    For a monthly decision that you could do is do something that you normally would not do on a everyday basis, for example going to volunteer for an organization. This way it will get you out of your comfort zone of trying to things.
    These skills and characteristics I have mention have gave me a better understanding of it take to be become successful in life and as a leader to.

• Katelyn Ledford

As a few of my peers have already pointed out, Dr. Betz stated that we must cultivate ourselves in order to lead others. I found this to be what resonated with me the most after class. In order to be the best leaders we can be, it is our job to develop our personal styles of learning, leading and serving. Daily, we encounter opportunity to focus on our strengths and develop these aspects further. When we choose to cultivate these strengths, we are also extending the best version of ourselves to others. It’s these choices we make everyday that create our character as individual leaders. We can all bring something different to the table because we are all unique individuals. Daily, weekly and monthly there are opportunities to develop and apply our talents here at UCO. If we simply embrace our strengths we can obtain a culture of learning, leading and serving.

• Molly Devine

As President Betz stated on Tuesday, we are each unique and important individuals that make up Central’s culture. As hand selected leaders on campus, it is our responsibility to ensure that our individual piece of the puzzle contributes to the continuation of a learning, leading and serving culture. Therefore, to strengthen the community, we must first strengthen ourselves.
    For me, it is a daily and continuing analyses of my inner self and how my attitude affects others. We come into contact with many different people from diverse walks of life everyday and for most of these individuals, we share only a microscopic part of our time in the universe with them. Thinking of my conversations and contact with others as investing a part of my life into their’s inspires me to use that time wisely. 
    Something as simple as a smile or holding the door open for them can make them stop and wonder, “What’s different about that person?”. We’re leaders. That is what makes us different. Sets us apart. In a world where people disregard others to further their own agenda, it is our duty, my duty, to step up and “be the change (we) wish to see in the world.
    “.

• McKenzie Belcher

The key component to a successful leader is one that can create a culture of learning, leading, and serving. We are all students of a diverse university with which we make our own choices. We are all leaders on this campus, and it is our own decision to make an impact on this community and the lives that fill this community. We impact others every day by being the leaders we are and a lot of the time don’t realize the great impact we make. Our impact derives from our character, community, and civility. It is our job to gain the trust of fellow peers and set a positive example. We can accomplish this task by being persistent and involved, taking risks, having passion for leadership, and communication. President Betz asks us each to ask ourself, “What is my purpose here?” With the right determination and drive to make yourself a better person and leader with a purpose, hidden leaders among this campus will evolve.

• Candace Baker

The tradition of learning, leading and serving is vitally important to the culture of UCO. Leaders build the cultures around them by their everyday actions. Being involved on campus through various organizations and being involved in the community helps us grow as leaders and teaches us that serving others is important and makes a big difference. Leaders serve others even when they receive nothing in return because every positive action serves a greater good. We can develop our culture by taking advantage of every opportunity offered to us, influencing others to strive for greatness, and knowing every success is a step in the right direction.

• Michael Southerland

President Betz’s presentation was inspiring. The President left me feeling glad that I was in the Leadership class and a part of the University of Central Oklahoma. President Betz keyed on things that I would like to excel in. Through building leadership knowledge, creating a mission, a vision, and value Central is preparing its student body for a very rewarding future.

The way President Betz’s speech keyed on things like the Central Six, Central’s Mission, and Central’s Vision would make anyone desiring to become a leader feel like they have come to the right place. These are all things I desire to be a part of. You could tell the true desire and belief the President has in such things as the words just rolled off his tongue. I get a rush when I hear real people that speak well and it comes from their heart.

Leadership–Guided by the core values of character, civility, and community, leadership at UCO is a transformational journey centered on learning and focused by integrity and service.

I would love to build the trust of my classmates’ campus wide, carry myself with integrity, and treat people well. I desire to transform myself from a struggling student into a leader that people can count on.

I am buying in and I invite you to do the same. Come and make the journey with me and the rest of the leaders here at Central. With the leadership and guidance of a President like ours, dreams can come true.

• Taylor Haines

UCO has already challenged me in different aspects of learning, leading, and serving in the few weeks that I have been a part of this institution. I believe that the best way to learn is by example, and that is what I have experienced here at UCO. Seeing all these phenomenal leaders on campus has encouraged me to show my leadership abilities through things that I am passionate about. To be a great leader you first have to learn the basis of what it is you are passionate about, or the goal you are trying to achieve. Having that desire to learn is what creates a good leader. The knowledge and skills that you acquire then have to be put into your daily life. Through your daily life you have a multitude of opportunities to serve others. Volunteering to help those that are less fortunate and in need, or even opening a door for someone you’ve never met, are acts of kindness that could change a person’s life. Striving to change people’s lives through servant leadership is what makes an outstanding leader. 

• Michael Southerland

I am buying in and I invite you to do the same. Come and make the journey with me and the rest of the leaders here at Central. With the leadership and guidance of a President like ours, dreams can come true
    .
    Personally, I believe that by showing true compassion and giving more than lip service to someone’s true needs, you not only touch them personally, but you might just make their day better or even actually save their life. Through experience I believe you are constantly tested in this way. This situation usually presents itself during the most inopportune times. Learning this lesson usually comes with an opportunity cost. It could mean giving up studying time, missing out on something you really want to do, even when it is something that has been planned for quite some time. As much as it pains some people, it might mean reaching into your back pocket or purse when you know that there is little to know chance you will ever see repayment. Throughout a good part of your life you will be presented with many opportunities to touch someone else’s life. The trick is to not get caught up in your own needs and wants. You will have family and friends who have fallen on hard times. People will talk about them, make fun of them, and have a chuckle at their expense. When this situation presents itself stop, take a minute, reflect, and then show them true compassion.

Daily you must make an effort, trust me the opportunities will present themselves, to give up some of your time when people just need ear to hear them out. Take time and hear them out and then help them if you can, and if not try to guide them in a direction where someone can.

Weekly, you can reach out to the many people who are just lonely, depressed, and have given up hope. This can be a grandparent, an old friend, or it really does not take a lot of effort to find someone. There is, believe it or not, plenty of such people right here at Central. If nothing else, treat people with respect, let them know you care, and are willing to make a difference in their life.

Monthly make a plan to donate some time and service to some form of community service. There are opportunities here on campus, along with the resources to locate somewhere in need.
    For some of us extra time during the semester is hard to come by; however, although serving can come at an opportunity cost, the feeling from doing it has its own reward.

• Matt Goodwin

In order to develop any kind of culture, one must not only change themselves, but also influence those around them. In our case, developing this culture of leadership, service, and learning will require a tremendous effort in both cases. In our own personalities, we must strive to keep those three tenants a priority, always working to better ourselves, to let every decision we make be guided by those principles. This could mean anything, from a regular study schedule to offering helping hand to those who need it. But in order to integrate these traits fully into our lives, we must to some degree change the lives of those around us. Setting an example is a good first step, but to truly lead others one must help them to see the fruits of their efforts, whether it simply a compliment on a job well done or the showing them how they have affected someone’s day. By doing this, we can motivate the people around us to continue to follow the principles of the culture we want to create. When people around us are living the same culture we do, it serves strengthen the effect of that culture in ourselves. So to summarize, in order to develop the culture of service, leadership, and learning that Dr. Betz spoke to us of, we must instill those qualities in the lives of those around us as well as in ourselves.

• Melissa Brown

Leadership is about decisions we make in our daily lives. How we present ourselves to other people. We can help other people in simple ways. I have always been the type of person to help others, but Until a few years ago I never got involved in things. I realized that helping only goes so far. If you really want to make a difference and help people you have to get involved. Getting involved allows us to put in our opinions in places that will recognize us giving us a better chance at getting heard. I now involve myself in everything I have an opportunity for so that in the end I can live up to my full potential.

• Charrissa Pierce

To learn, you have to take the time to truly understand the matter; to lead, you must set priorities and stand up for what you believe in; to serve, you set your own selfishness aside and focus on the needs of others. Each of these qualities go hand-in-hand. Once you make the decision to be a leader, you make the decision to learn and serve. Often people mistakenly think that leaders are not servers, but in all actuality, the leaders are the people who serve the most. To be a leader you don’t need to be widely known, you can lead by your everyday choices. We must first decide on the example we want to set, how do we want others to think of us? Do you want to be the student who comes into class late daily, or the punctual one who makes the grade?

• Helping to develop a culture of leading, learning and serving on an individual level must be a decision I make purposefully every day; such a culture does not develop overnight, and it must be a group effort. Such an important culture often arises from small, but important choices that I make everyday. Such choices involve being humble enough to ask for help or clarification when I don’t understand a concept or new idea; it involves being open and responsive to feedback, and it involves putting other first. Though UCO does foster a culture of leading, learning and serving, it is up to us, the students, to constantly cultivate and maintain that culture.

• Nora Garcia

I feel that in order to create a culture of learning, leading and serving you must first learn to develop your skills of each. Everyday we learn something new weather its about ourselves or in the classroom it doesn’t matter the only thing that matters is that you must keep learning. Like Dr. Betz said we have to “cultivate ourselves.” We have to try to the best of our abilities in order to create that culture. Learning, leading and serving all go together. It’s what makes a good leader. We have to learn to serve in order to be able to lead. If you help someone than that person is more likely to help someone else. In that sense you just lead by serving.

• Zak Cooper

As a student at UCO, I believe we have the easiest opportunities to develop these practices. Although the possibilities are readily available for us, we must be the ones who take the first step. You cannot become a doctor or president of a university overnight; it takes determination and hard work. Realizing how you want to develop these practices is the first step, but then you must constantly work at them to improve. The best decision is to never give up. College courses will get harder, you will become extremely busy, things will not work out the way you planned, but you keep going. Everything that you are doing today will pay off in the near future. By the time you reach graduation, these practices should be well developed and will help you succeed in the career you have chosen.

• Ashton Pittman

I really enjoyed what President Betz had to say and found it very insightful and reassuring. I loved what he said about “cultivating leadership”. It is like we are being molded from the very beginning of creation to learn, lead, and serve as President Betz mentioned. In our cultivation process we are being shaped by the things around us such as our family, friends, mentors, and society. We take the good, bad, and ugly and learn from it in order to help us grow intellectually, spiritually, and physically. The way we interpret and learn from those around us helps build our character; and our character is our backbone of our leadership style, its our roots; and although it is constantly being cultivated, it is never up-rooted. Our character helps build relationships with those around us and being a leader with strong connections and relationships is beyond important in today’s society. Listening to President Betz speak on behalf of UCO just reaffirms my expectations of this university. Even though, I have been to several different colleges before now, and every one of those was just another cultivation process on my leadership path, I cannot be any more excited or grateful than I am now to be here and get the opportunity to learn, lead, and serve!

• Jovanna Ortega

Developing a culture of leading, learning, and serving is no easy job. It is a arduous path filled with decisions that are not necessarily the easiest ones to make. To do each if the these things you must first follow or find someone who you can look up to and call a mentor to help you along your journey. Once you have had that help and experience, you can take what you have learned and bestow that knowledge on someone looking to start their journey.

Learning is never believing you know or have had enough knowledge in any subject. It is also keeping an open mind and being able to accept that you may not always be right. Leading also requires an open mind, as well stepping up to lead or backing down to help. A leader does not always need to be the person at the center of the stage as Dr. Betz stated, they can help by being a good example and always striving to do good. This brings me to serving which is very important when developing a culture. Serving means always giving and striving to help others around you. It means never taking the easy way out when tough times come knocking at your door. Those who serve are the very definition of the word selflessness and many people will take notice and appreciate that.

These three traits are very essential to the growth and maintenance of our culture and while they sometimes seem too tough there are simple thing we can do to better our life such as studying, getting involved or just being a kind person to others. These are just some of the many things we can do and remember to help us when we get to the harder decisions later on in our journey.

• Gabby Applegate

President Betz’s speech really inspired me to go out and make a change. He made me want to go out and serve others as soon as class got out. The three C’s he talked about really describe UCO as a whole perfectly. I believe in order to learn you must be willing to give your all at everything you do. If some one gives you an opportunity to grow and learn, you must seize the opportunity. In order to lead you must think of yourself second. I completely agree with Carlee Carpenter, in order to be a leader, you must first learn to serve. These go hand in hand. You can’t be a lead without first serving. I try to apply these into my life every day. Whether it be holding the door open for someone, smiling at someone you pass on your way to class, or by volunteering my time to an organization. A lot of times it’s the little things that count. You don’t have to go out and be a hero to be considered a leader. It’s the little things you do for others everyday that make you a leader.

• Justin Nida

Everyone is unique in the way that we apply these characteristics to our own lives. For me, learning is accomplished by not only growing academically, but approaching new people and discovering new things. Maybe there is another person who has experienced the same thing that you are currently going through; seek guidance and you might gain wisdom. I personally want to learn more about other cultures so I will be leaving to study abroad this spring. Furthermore, leading can be defined as many different things, but I personally prefer to exercise the easiest…be courteous, proactive, empowering, and do the right thing(even if nobody is watching). I believe that on the road to becoming a great leader, one might find that serving should naturally fall into place. Serving can be pretty tough sometimes, but other times it is as simple as listening. As I continue my education here I hope to learn, lead, and serve at UCO by being a positive influence to my peers, and challenge myself and others to make a difference in the world.

• President Betz speech was inspiring to me. He made me realize to be a leader you have to have the mindset that you are a leader everyday and give your 100% everyday. I believe that if you live everyday like that you will achieve the culture of learning, leading and serving. Once you develope those characteristics then you will have a successfull way of life. Some weekly, monthly and yearly things I can do to develope these characteristics is stayin involved around campus, serve others by volunteering once a week and just keepin a positive open mind about life and the events that are to come!

• Larry wells

One begins to develop leadership qualities as they mature if he/she is guided correctly. President Betz touched on a lot of topics that are key in being a leader and being successful in today’s society. Ways one can integrate leadership qualities in there life is staying knowledgable and humble and be willing to learn from people that have have reached goals they are trying to obtain. Some daily things people can do to make sure they can improve they’re leadership qualities are getting involved in certain activities like being involved in student council at there prospective schools or if one is an adult being involved in certain organizations with there jobs. Everyday someone is alive is another day to improve there self and better there leadership skills.

• Caylee Cooter

From what I have seen, UCO has already developed a culture of learning, leading, and serving. I see people all around campus living in a way that reflects the culture UCO is striving to maintain. Furthermore, this culture is only made possible by the individuals involved in it. Individually, I believe we all have a duty to strive for the 3 C’s that all the staff members keep referring to: community, civility, and character. These are the roots to developing a healthy, productive culture on any campus. Therefore, the tricky part is learning to live your life according to these principles. I believe learning to lead in all parts of your life develops these characteristics. President Betz best put it as learning to lead in the “bottom, middle, or top.” Developing a culture should mean every individual person developing themselves. One must not only put the school first, but the community. It is all about discovering yourself by putting others first. It’s truly not hard to find ways to make a difference, it just requires greater awareness of your opportunities.

• Ellen Boarman

The development of a culture centered on learning, leading, and serving is ideal for all who make up such a society. There seems to me however no possible way to fit such developments into one person alone. One cannot learn without a teacher, lead without a follower, or serve without those in need; however, by working commutatively towards being the best possible you, these practices can be evoked from each individual. Being a part of LOT, this class, and my group, Patience, will put me in roles on both sides of learning, leading, and even serving.

Developing each of these practices individually began a while back with the realization that as much as I want to and try to, I cannot do everything myself, but that in everything I do I can be myself. Knowing, and more so remembering, that it takes a network of people to accomplish any of these practices is the fundamental basis for developing the type of culture that Dr. Betz discussed.

Forming relationships with anyone and everyone possible, being myself in everything I do, and acting in a manner of gratitude for the things that I have in my life are actions and decisions that I can make to integrate these into my life most successfully. There will always be something for me to learn and to teach, to lead and to follow, to serve and to be served, and none of these actions can I accomplish alone.

• Larry wells

• Whitney Hazelbaker

Learning, leading and serving are characteristics that can be developed simply through living by example. I believe that having the desire to live a life that shines with these qualities is the first step-you must want to be a leader, a learner, or a servant first. These qualities can be integrated into your daily life by making a conscious choice and effort to do so. Whether it would be making the right choice when you’re surrounded by people making the wrong one, standing up for yourself or someone else in a difficult time, helping another person selflessly with no gain or reward…all of these things show the above qualities. A true leader, learner, or servant is always aiming to better themselves. I think it’s important for an individual to strive to have these qualities, and by living with integrity and staying motivated that it can be done with success.

• Rebekah Fisher

Learning, leading, and serving are vitally important to any individual. Each of the three requires the others in order to be complete. I believe that learning is the first step in cultivating leadership. One must be willing to learn to achieve personal growth; one must also maintain that willingness to learn throughout life. A servant’s heart, in my opinion, makes a leader great. When one views his or her leadership as service to others, he helps keep himself humble, without any falsehood. This obviously takes an immense amount of work, but without hesitation, it is worth the effort. In my own life, I must continue on striving to serve those around me to the best of my ability. Daily, I must make my heart willing to learn and serve which will then help mold me to be the best leader that I can possibly be.

• Victoria Atkinson

Leading, learning, and serving are three huge aspects that every leader should take into account when analyzing their skills and assets as a leader. When I think of being able to increase my leadership skills, I think immediately of how I am learning and serving to see if I am at my full capacity as far as what I am capable of. I see as being a full time student is the perfect chance to work on my learning. Also, whenever I am at UCO it is hard to walk into a classroom without having a leader as a teacher. My father said, “the easiest lessons to learn are those that you don’t have to go through.” I feel like this is was Dr. Betz was trying to get through to us. He urged us in the way of a good leader and let us know obstacles that we can avoid and other nuggets of wisdom. If we were to take those to heart, that is the best kind of learning there is…the learning from a leader. A far as serving, I also see this as a very important key aspect to being a good leader. It’s hard to be an amazing leader and not ever leave your home or school, and that is why serving out community is one of the best things leaders can do. Getting out to their community and being a leader to the people they are around every day. Being a leader to those who need guidance, and being able to put your good talents to use.

• Jaeton Cary

I think the message that he was sending was that no matter where we are, and no matter what we are involved in, we should be leaders, and never stop learning about how to lead. I believe the phrase “don’t waste your talents” comes to mind. Everyone has different skills that help society as a whole, and our gift happens to be to lead. This is a gift however that we have to constantly work at to refine and to be able to identify our own style of leadership. I believe us as leaders have a crutcial role to play in setting up a culture of learning. We must lead by example. We must never stop the pursuit of becoming the best leader we can be.

• Jaeton Cary

I think the message that he was sending was that no matter where we are, and no matter what we are involved in, we should be leaders, and never stop learning about how to lead. I believe the phrase “don’t waste your talents” comes to mind. Everyone has different skills that help society as a whole, and our gift happens to be to lead. This is a gift however that we have to constantly work at to refine and to be able to identify our own style of leadership. I believe us as leaders have a crutcial role to play in setting up a culture of learning through leading by example. We must never stop the pursuit of becoming the best leader we can be.

• Jillian Chambers

Developing the characteristics that President Betz spoke of requires constant attention. It is a conscious decision each and every day to be a servant, leader and example for those around us. This means that our decisions are not based upon our own desires but on what is needed by those around us, including our classmates, families and our wonderful UCO campus. What we must always recognize is that this will take sacrifice and work. We must be constantly willing to work hard and help others and ourselves for the good of our school. Those choices, however small they may be, are the foundation for living a life of learning, leading and serving.

• Samantha Gaspar

Every single day of our lives we are given the chance to be leaders. We are leaders of our own lives by making choices and also we help lead others by setting great examples and doing things that some people are afraid to. Whether it is helping a student out with a difficult problem in class, showing kindness by helping someone out in any way you are capable of, and even just living your life with respect and love for others. Many are intimidated by the word leader like it puts them in a spot light or they have to do something special to be a leader and that scares them away.

In my opinion the most effective leaders are the people who do not try to tell people they are a leader and get people to follow them and do things how they want. The leader I want to become is the person who does not need to be recognized for accomplishments they have done but to help others because they get joy out of it. People notice things like this and are more likely to be inspired by you. My daily goal is to help someone with a task or issue they are facing. It doesn’t have to be anything large just simple to make a small difference in someone’s life.

My weekly and monthly goals are to learn from others and to be a positive influence through the way I live and build my life to serve others, to not only bring other people to follow in my footsteps, but inspire others to gain the courage to branch out and become a leader themselves.

• Summer Hill

You have to make a daily commitment to yourself to be open to any opportunity that comes your way; be it for leading, learning, or serving. Every situation can provide a learning experience. Be a leader by serving others and always have a place to volunteer. One also must learn to say no. You can’t be a growing individual who is effective if you do everything that comes up and don’t have the proper amount of time to do your jobs and do them well. Being a good leader takes energy and you have to rest and give yourself mini retreats a few times a year. President Betz had a lot of good points. I can see myself looking back at the notes I took many times in the future.

• Caleb Grinnell

When President Betz gave his speech it made me take a step back and really look into what I am doing in my everyday life to be a leader not just when I am supposed to or when I know people are watching. Leadership isnt something you choose to do once in a while, it is who you are and the decisions you make everyday.

One of my strong points in being a leader is talking. This sounds simple but so many times people feel like outsiders or are too shy to get to know people and this closes many doors for great opportunities they will not get to experience. Coming up to them to say hello when they are interested in joining your cause or organization is a way to make people feel welcomed and gives them the sense of acceptance to be themselves. Also by meeting new people and learning about them I can find new ways to serve or find new leaders. My daily goal is to find new ways to grow in my leadership my daily goal is to stay positive because at times it gets stressful and people are always observing leaders generally because they would like to take the same steps themselves and also it keeps me moving forward toward my goal. My weekly or monthly goal is to step outside my own comfort zone when it comes to ways of leading. It is necessary for us to step out of our comfort zones in order to know how it feels for others to take a risk in following us. That will give me the opportunity to learn more about leadership as well. The most effective way I have learned to lead is to follow first.

• Jessica Nguyen

Learning, leading and serving- three crucial components of life that help us grow, and in turn, extends our ability to help others learn, lead, and serve in their own ways. It’s difficult to develop these practices individually because they are so intertwined with each other. For example, you could focus on learning by becoming more globally aware. You could learn anything from great global leaders to the needs of those outside the local community. You now have a model of good leadership and can begin to develop your own personal leadership style. Then, you can then apply the newly acquired skills to serve the community. It doesn’t matter which one you choose to focus on first. Start with one, and the rest will follow. I do, however, believe that the trigger for any of these is passion.
    To integrate learning, leading and serving into my life daily, I can pour myself into my interactions with people and increase my time spent with others. I can break away from my routine of “go to class, go to lunch, go do homework, go to dinner, go to sleep”, and give others my time, ears, and/or hands, whether they be stranger or friend. In spending time with them, I can learn so much about other cultural perspectives or about concerns I didn’t know before. I can journal about my experiences weekly. How was my time distributed? Was there anything that I could have done better? Did at least one person end up smiling when they didn’t before? Journaling is good because it gives me the ability to assess my progress and write down goals. It’s a visual reference to keep me on track of developing the three practices. Monthly, I can get involved with the community, local or larger. Developing these three practices isn’t a short term goal. A leader should always be striving to learn more, lead more, and serve more.

• Bailey Hayes

Learning, leading, and serving are all characteristics necessary to be a good leader. To learn you have to be a good listener. All leaders, or good leaders, have all at some point in time been followers. In my opinion, successful leaders still have room to learn and will continue to learn and grow throughout the rest of their lives. Leading and serving are both characteristics you acquire and isn’t something that can be perfected over night. Without first listening, its impossible to become a leader individuals trust. Leading is not about making people listen, it is about learning how to manage multiple personalities and combining them them to make a successful team. Serving is very important for leaders to do. If you aren’t serving others I feel like it would be hard to have many followers. Being a leader does not make you above helping others. I think it helps build trust and relationships. Every day can present something different or new challenges in our lives we have to overcome, so I think the daily decision we need to make is how we want to present ourselves and if we are to overcome these obstacles or let them defeat us.

• Alexis Ridenour

Developing a culture of learning, leading, and serving comes from within a person. These practices begin to become a stable part of our daily routines throughout life. I believe all three attributes are developed a certain way depending on one’s personality and life style. Learning, serving, and leading  easily tie in together to form a leader in a specific unique way. I love how Dr. Betz mentioned that as leaders we strive because of our differences in our opinions, personalities, and attitudes. With that said, developing the skill of learning for myself requires for me to be very attentive in everything I do. I make sure that I am constantly keeping an open mind and being as observant as possible to everything that is going on around me. I focus on these little steps to help me become more knowledgable of what is happening in my classes, my job, and my relationships with others. As leaders, we need to be well aware of things that are happening around us in our every day lives. Which begins my next point, developing the habit of serving. When I am up to date with the world around me, my community, and my wonderful campus that I now call home, it makes it easier for me to become aware of what actives and service projects I need to put my time and energy into. Not only so I can contribute my knowledge and leadership attributes to help improve or raise awareness for an organization or activity, but so I can also have the humble experience of being in someone else’s position who needs help from leaders like us. I feel as if though I have been very blessed growing up and leading to where I am now at this point in my life and I realize that other people have put their time and effort towards my development of becoming a leader and it is only right for me to do the same for someone else which involves giving my time and efforts to other people, organizations, etc. Finally, after being knowledgable of the world around us and giving my time to impact someone else’s life, I believe this is crucial criteria to developing into a leader. Dr. Betz mentioned how trustworthiness is key to our success. As a leader, when people look up to me for advice or a helping hand I want them to have faith in me that I know what I am doing and have a vision or goal. Also, I want them to realize that what ever they are contributing to me, I want to show them thanks in return for their efforts and dedication. Being a leader is not about running the world or being in charge of everything. To me, being a leader is doing what is right even when no one else is watching. This is called integrity. I believe UCO staff has selected a wonderful bunch of PLC and LOT members. I see determination in everyone and truly believe every single person has a vision or dream they are waiting to reach. I also see integrity in all of our members. Integrity is the secret ingredient to developing into a leader. I believe that each and everyone of us would not be blessed with this wonderful opportunity to be apart of such an amazing program at UCO if we had not shown great amounts of integrity in our past to lead us to where we are today. However, the past is the past and with these tools and lessons the staff here at UCO has provided us with will only opens more doors of opportunity and success for our futures to learn more, serve more, and lead others.

• Elizabeth Jordan Nichols

By definition, culture is the ideas, meanings, beliefs, and values people learn as members of a society. The culture in which a person surrounds themselves can determine how he/she will lead their lives. A culture of learning, leading, and serving is made up of a group of people who all share a similar goal to grow. John F. Kennedy once said that leadership and learning are indispensable to each other. In other words, there is no leading without learning. I believe that leading and serving is something that is learned. To be a leader, a person must first learn from the mistakes and achievements of the leaders who came before them. Without knowledge of what has failed and what has worked there would never be any change. Knowledge is the key to improvement. A person must first understand what is going on in the world around them to be able to make a difference in it. Once a person has a general knowledge of what is happening around them, then they will be able to find something that they are truly passionate about. Passion is the fuel that empowers a leader. A leader who is passionate about what they are doing stays committed and inspires others. A leader is someone who doesn’t do something for glory, or because they have to. A leader is humble, passionate, and committed. A leader serves for the greater good. Leadership and service go hand in hand. The qualities of a good leader are something an individual must learn. President Betz talked about integrity; being the same person when nobody is looking. A true leader follows a moral compass every day of their life. The decisions they make daily, weekly, and monthly are consistent with who they truly are. Nobody wants to follow a phony. It is the person who’s values and commitment to change are unmoving that inspires others to follow.

• McKenzie Hodge

I am very Blessed and honored to attend a university such as UCO, where a culture of learning, leading, and serving are instilled within us. Each and every day we are faced with making choices. These can range from simple choices like what to have for breakfast, to more serious ones like what are we going to do with our lives. I believe that what choices we make, and how we let those choices effect us, steer us in the direction of learning, leading and serving. We have made the choice to get a higher education, and learn in our classes everyday. In the same instance, we choose to learn from those around us. We must impact others, but also allow ourselves to be impacted. There is always room for growth, and there is no better way to grow than from observing others. Everyday I challenge myself to really sit back and learn from my peers around me. Also as a leader, we should choose to be  looking for that next opportunity to really utilize our leadership skills. These can range from helping an elderly lady across the street, to taking an important role in an organization. Serving others is one I hold dear to my heart. There is always someone out there that desperately needs help and who better to provide that help than us? With service, your past learning, and leadership skills all come into play. No matter who you are helping, you will learn from them in some way and ultimately change your life. You must also take the initiative to find that next organization, foundation, or person to help. Daily, weekly, and monthly, these skills will constantly be growing within us. I will keep these inspirational skills in the forefront of my mind everyday and make sure to always be pushing myself to be better. 

• Presidents Betz’s speech encouraged me go out become more of a leader. According to President Betz, there is not one way to define a leader. Different leaders are made up of many different characteristics. Developing these leadership skills as well as learning and serving should be part of your everyday life. Using these skills on campus is a vital part of further advancing the community as well as UCO. Helping develop the culture of this university is one of the top priorities on my list. I look forward to attending this university and further advancing all qualities of a true leader.

• Riley Cole

Developing these qualities takes humility. Humbling yourself to other’s teaching, lowering yourself in a leadership position…realizing everyone is on the same level and all striving toward the same goal, and lastly serving…doing acts out of kindness and empathy, not expecting any kind of reward. A big quality that shouts out to me is learning. So often we judge a book by its cover. Someone may walk into a room with so much insight and knowledge, but we push them to the side because they don’t look intelligent or dress or act the same as our leaders or teachers today. When we take the time to listen with an open mind, we will be amazed at the knowledge we can acquire from the least of these. Being on PLC or LOT we are granted with opportunities left and right to practice and apply these qualities. I hope we don’t take any of these for granted because these are times we must apply these. Other students may not have as many doors opening as we have, so we shouldn’t let an opportunity to serve or step up as a humble leader or to learn from someone we wouldn’t consider knowledgable. Decisions I will make to apply these daily are to act in humility in all I do. Humbling myself to others in order to see them to succeed. Also, stepping out of my comfort zone to take charge in something I may not want to (because the responsibility is too much, etc.), but because I know I am capable of creating something great. Lastly, learning every step on the way. Getting back up when I fail, listening to my professors, doing things to it’s absolute best. When we create a culture of learning, leading, and serving, we will see a campus transformed.

• Zack Garrett

Leading is serving. There is no other way about it. To be a good leader you have to be willing to serve. You have to be willing to put the organization before the individual. Leading is not about making yourself better. Leading is about making those around you better. You have to commit yourself to daily serve others to become a leader. This can be done through simple gestures. holding the door open for someone, lending dollar or two without expecting anything in return. This is how leaders become great, through simple service in all things, not through selfish desires.

• Logan Hoover

I agree with Jillian Smith, “a leader is not defined by any standard” a leader can lead in his or her own way. Anyone can be considered a leader as long as they have followers. If we strive to be a leader and do work for the better of this university, the opportunitys are endless, but first we have to learn from others. You need to learn from other leaders and listen to what they have to say and then determine from that what type of leader you want to be. If we would take steps towards listenening and trying to understand what other leaders have to say, and then become a leader ourselves, we will always be ahead in life, as long as you are doing things for a good cause. Leaders are meant to serve, so as Students in PLC or LOT we need to provide service to this great university, as well as taking steps toward becoming the best leader that we can be.

• The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

• Nicki Perry

You cannot expect to develop each of those traits individually or over night. THey are knitted together so well that you gain all three in a day to day process. Day to day you need to make to work hard and never give up. Also you need to be okay with taking risks to get to where you want to be in life! All three of these are extremely important characteristics in a leader.

• Zachary Southard

I just realized that I embarrassingly never answered the first blog of the semester! So I will answer this question in regards to what I have already learned instead of what I thought I would be learning in August.

In my first semester at college, I ended up having to teach myself many practices which can apply to my life after college. The biggest practice for me was organization. I learned it the hard way as I foolishly attempted to complete my weekly schedules completely off of memory. What a mistake. I quickly realized that life at college without my parents there to hold my hand is going to be an extremely tough and tedious road if I did not buckle down and form my own calendar. So far, creating a calendar has been the best decision that I have made this semester. Dad would be so proud if I were to admit to him that I finally followed his organizational advice!

Other than organization, I have learned have been how to integrate myself into campus life and how to be intellectual with people on a higher level of conversational intelligence, unlike high school. These have been both challenging but oh so rewarding as one will learn so much by simply going out and exploring and attaining the experience needed to excel in the workforce world after college.