Love yourself – Take care of your health!

With Move-In just around the corner, you are probably already thinking about how you’re going to arrange your room and which appliances you need to buy, but there is one important topic you might be forgetting – your health!

It isn’t too early to begin preparing for your health and well-being while living on campus. Here are our top tips to keep you healthy in our halls!

First Aid Kit

A well-stocked first-aid kit will prevent a lot of headaches, literally and figuratively, while living on campus. You can either purchase a pre-filled kit at the store, or you can make your own with all of the essentials.

We recommend filling your first aid kit with the following: over-the-counter pain relievers, gastrointestinal medications, allergy medications, cold and flu medications, anti-itch and burn creams, a thermometer, reusable ice packs, bandages, eye drops, sunscreen, bug spray, nasal spray, cough drops, vitamins, any medications prescribed to you, and anything else you see fit in the case of illness or injury. We also recommend keeping a copy of your insurance information, immunization records, prescription list, and emergency contact information in your first aid kit.

Label Prescription Medications

If you have any prescription medications, make sure to specifically label these before you move on campus. If you carry an EpiPen or inhaler, make sure to label these too.

We also recommend making a list of all prescribed medications and keeping it in your first aid kit.

Electronic Medical ID

In case of emergency, we highly recommend setting up an electronic medical ID on your phone. All iPhones come with a built-in Medical ID option, and other phones have apps you can download to create a medical ID that can be accessed even when your phone is locked.

If you have an iPhone, you can access Medical ID by going to Settings – Health – Medical ID. You can include information like allergies, medical conditions, medications, emergency contacts, and more. Make sure to turn on emergency access so that others can use this information in an emergency.

If you don’t have an iPhone, go to your phone’s app store and download Medical ID, MyID, or another similar app. These apps work very similarly to the Apple Medical ID above and can be accessed even when your device is locked.

Print Copies of Insurance Cards

If you have medical insurance, we highly recommend you print off multiple copies of your insurance cards to take with you to campus. You also might want to print copies of your dental and eye insurance cards.  In addition to having a copy of each that is easily accessible, it is also helpful to keep a copy of these cards in your first aid kit.

Move Prescriptions to an Edmond pharmacy

If you frequently fill prescriptions, it might be helpful to move your prescriptions to a pharmacy that is closer to campus. There are many locally owned and chain pharmacies near campus, so there should be one that can fill your prescriptions.

Update Your Vaccine Record

There is no better time than back to school to make sure you are up to date on vaccines, which protect you and our housing community!

The state of Oklahoma requires all college students to get immunized against Hepatitis B (three doses) and Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR; two doses). In addition, it is required by the state of Oklahoma for students who live on campus to get immunized against meningococcal meningitis disease. Oklahoma Statutes, Title 70 §3243 and 3244

Medical, religious, and personal exemptions are allowed by law, and such requests must be made in writing using the UCO Certificate of Exemption form. Residents will be provided a written waiver as part of their student housing agreement contract stating that the individual has received and reviewed the information provided and has chosen to be or not to be vaccinated against meningococcal disease.

The CDC also highly recommends all individuals 19 and older get vaccinated against Covid-19, Influenza, Tetanus (Tdap), Human papillomavirus (HPV), Varicella (VAR), and Hepatitis (HepA and HepB).

Contact your county’s health department or visit the Oklahoma State Immunization Information System online portal for a copy of your immunization record. County health departments, in addition to a primary care provider, are also a great resource for obtaining those immunizations!

Research Counseling

Not only is it important to think about your physical health, but it is just as important to plan for your mental health. UCO offers free on-campus counseling through our Center for Counseling and Well-Being. They offer walk-in hours from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. both virtually and in person in the Nigh University Center, Room 402. The Counseling Center also offers other mental health programs including TAO (Therapy Assisted Online), Calming Central, group meetings, mental health screenings, and many other options.

If you are interested in accessing the Counseling Center, you can contact them ahead of time for more information by calling them at 405-974-2215 or emailing them at

Menu Planning with Campus Dining Services

If you have dietary needs that require special attention, please reach out to Disability Support Services and/or UCO Dining to develop a solution to meet your needs.

Follow UCO Health Promotion on Instagram for even more health tips for when you come to campus. Staying healthy is key to a successful semester and keeping you, and our halls, safe!