Can I Recycle This book cover

Sustainability Books – for You, for the Kids, for the Holidays

–by Ed Cunliff

I would not have come across these books had it not been for some literature from the Nature Conservancy. Trying hard to be a good grandparent, and the ruling is still out, I thought books would be the perfect gift for the season. You may want to consider these if you are like-minded about books and sustainability.

Be a Tree book cover

Be A Tree! by Maria Gianferrari is a simple reader. It’s nicely illustrated, a simple story, and makes a good case for us tree huggers. It includes straightforward ways for kids to connect with trees and appreciate their benefits for us humans.

Amara and the Bats book cover

Amara and the Bats by Emma Reynolds is another simple reader and had some good activities about bats and building homes for them. My attempts at this, back when my kids were younger, were not successful. If I had this book, I might have done better.

Change Sings book cover

Change Sings: A Children’s Anthem by Amanda Gorman (you may have heard of her!). This is another reader for the same suggested age range as the others, but it does have the advantage of the author being someone the kids may have heard of. As with all the others, it is well illustrated and supportive of changes to protect the planet for the kids who are reading these books today!

Can I Recycle This book cover

Can I Recycle This? A Guide to Better Recycling by Jennin Romer does not go on the simple to comprehend list, and by its nature is indicative of the challenge of recycling. It turns out, it’s not as easy as we thought. The danger here is that folks read the book and throw up their hands in despair, because it is too complex. The author addresses multiple areas of recycling in an easy-to-read format. Yes, recycling is complex and yes, we can do some helpful things on our own – and with our kids or grandkids.

Johnny Appleseed was the only book my babysitter read to me when I was a kid. I’m thankful for that image, accurate or not. Any sources that can help our kids get off to an early start on “green thinking” matters and sticks with them.

What children’s book suggestions do you have?