Featured Faculty- Diane Gaston, MS, CCRN-K, RN

During my nursing career experience of over 40 years, I have worked in the hospital setting as a staff nurse, charge nurse, supervisor, manager, critical care educator, and house supervisor. In the academic setting, I have taught various classes and clinical practice at the associate and baccalaureate levels. I am a member of the national and local chapter of American Association of Critical-Care Nurses and a national and local chapter member of Sigma Theta Tau (Honor Society of Nursing).

I am passionate about honoring and being responsible for the students’ future patients. Seeing that the students develop their critical-thinking skills as well as their bedside skills is the highest priority for me so that they can provide the excellent quality of care their future patients deserve.

I have had the privilege of teaching the following courses in my career: Foundations of Nursing (class, lab and clinical), Health Assessment (class and lab), Critical Care Nursing (class and clinical), Introduction to Nursing, Medical-Surgical (class and clinical), and Clinical – Leadership and Community.

I received my Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Central Oklahoma in 1977 and my Master of Science in Nursing from Southern Nazarene University in 2010. I was certified as a Critical Care Registered Nurse from 1988-January 2018, and currently, I have the following certifications: Critical Care Registered Nurse – Knowledge (January 2018-present), Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider (1987-present), and Healthcare Provider BLS (CPR) for the American Heart Association (1977-present).

My areas of expertise include: Critical Care Nursing, Rapid Response Assessment, and Clinical Critical-Thinking Exercises and Hospital Administrative Skills – House Supervisor.

I have had the honor to work in a variety of settings in nursing, including Medical-Surgical Nursing and Post Coronary Care Nursing for 6 years, Critical Care Nursing Experience as a staff nurse, lead nurse, supervisor, nursing manager, clinical nurse educator, and clinical instructor and faculty for over 30 years.

My awards and honors include Deaconess Hospital Servant Leader Council Member, 1998-2007; Deaconess Hospital Exemplary Nurse Program, 2007; Summa Cum Laude, Southern Nazarene University, 2010; and 21st Century Pedagogy Institute New Teacher-Scholar, 2019.

When I have time to reflect, I like to write poetry and have had a poem published in “On the Wings of Poetry”, 2004 by Famous Poets Press.

Hi! I am the marketing and development coordinator for the College of Mathematics and Sciences !