Alumni Highlight- Daniel Williams

Daniel Williams has lived in or near Oklahoma City his whole life. He completed both his undergraduate and graduate degrees at UCO. He completed his Master’s in Computer Science in the Fall of 2020. Daniel worked with Dr. Fu to develop an artificial intelligence algorithm to assist wheelchair users in collecting information to promote a healthy lifestyle. “It was very gratifying to be able to work on research that I felt was directly helping people and also allowed me to explore cutting edge artificial intelligence algorithms and hardware architectures while I completed my graduate program.”
He was able to exhibit good academic performance thanks to the help he received from professors at UCO who go above and beyond to make sure their students have everything they need to succeed. “I also think that my good performance is a reflection of the passion I have for computer science and software engineering. I have held a love for computer science since I was 13 when I first learned that anyone could write software and games for a computer for free and all they had to do was learn how.” In addition to his AI research at UCO, he also placed third at the TCU software competition with an augmented reality tourism app and was honored with an academic performance award during the last semester of his undergraduate program.

“Mr. Daniel Williams is a very talented, diligent, and self-motivated young man. The first time I met him was in my Software Engineering I class. His active involvement in class and outstanding ability to apply the learned knowledge to solve challenging problems truly made him shine in the class. After Daniel joined my research lab, he developed a smartphone app that could communicate with a smartwatch to collect wheelchair users’ activity data in a nonintrusive way. This app has allowed us to use machine-learning techniques to analyze wheelchair users’ activity and mobility levels in order to help them live an active lifestyle. In Fall 2020, Daniel successfully defended his thesis “Development of an Artificial Intelligence Algorithm for the Analysis of Wheelchair Movements”. I believe that Mr. Daniel Williams will continue his success as a Computer Science professional in his career development.”
-Dr. Jicheng Fu, Professor and Beresford Endowed Chair

Hi! I am the marketing and development coordinator for the College of Mathematics and Sciences !