Mikala Lea, Funeral Service Major, Receives Prestigious Scholarship

Mikala LeaMy name is Mikala Lea and I am a senior in the Funeral Service Department at UCO. This semester I had the honor to receive the Larry Morgan Mortuary Jurisprudence scholarship for having the highest grade in the class for the 2019-2020 academic year. Not only do I feel this shows my prowess in the program, but also how funeral services have pushed me to achieve and contribute more. I joined Sigma in my first semester and have been a part of it ever since. Within Sigma, I am always helping where I can for our different events. Last semester I became the secretary of our group and coordinated our service event for the holidays. We collected donations to fill stockings to hand out to veterans at the Veteran’s Hospital in Oklahoma City. The group overall, along with the help of some local funeral homes, was able to make 40 stockings to give out. I am also on the CMS Student Advisory Council where I am the representative for the department. With this group, we have worked towards implementing a mentorship program in each of the departments to help incoming students feel more comfortable. Along with this, I have helped to begin working on a better notification system for Funeral Service students so that we can inform more students of events and job opportunities going on specific to our field. During my time at UCO, I have been very proud of the achievements of not only myself but the Funeral Service Department as a whole and cannot wait to see what the future holds for us both.