UCO Students Honored at Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association Banquet
Liberal Arts News and Events
August 12, 2019
The staff of the University of Central Oklahoma’s student-run newspaper, The Vista, took home 13 awards at the Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association Awards Banquet held April 5 at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater. Central’s students competed against entries from 14 other colleges and universities in the state.
“It’s great to see all their hard work pay off,” said Teddy Burch, director of student publications at Central.
“I don’t think anyone gets into journalism to win awards but it’s nice to see award-winning work. This group was all-in and the results show it.”
The 2019 award winners are as follows:
- Katie Standlee, managing editor, 2019 Journalist of the Year;
- Christian Tabek, editor-in-chief, first place in sports reporting and second place in general news writing and reporting;
- Vy Luong, online editor, first place in feature photography and honorable mention in general news writing and reporting;
- Megan Thele, co-copy editor, first place in reviews;
- Skyler Baldwin, co-copy editor, first, second and third place in cartoon;
- Jonathan Goudeau, sports editor, second place in sports reporting;
- Shelby Cargill, vista participation student and former UCentral anchor, second place in feature photography;
- Dylan Brown, Vista columnist alumnus and UCentral anchor, first place in column writing; and,
- Austin Moseley, Vista sports editor and online editor alumnus, honorable mention in sports reporting.
The Vista was established in 1903 as the student newspaper of the University of Central Oklahoma and is the longest continually published student newspaper in the state. To learn more or read the current issue, visit www.ucentralmedia.com.